[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone care to share some good fantasy books? Outside of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 25
File: EowynStrike.jpg (57 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
EowynStrike.jpg
57 KB, 640x482
Anyone care to share some good fantasy books? Outside of the Tokien stuff and certain anime Im a bit of a neophyte to the genre.

Im really just looking to get something to draw inspiration from because sooner rather than later Im gonna have a turn at coming up with a campaign.
>>
>>44700157

The Gotrek and Felix series is pretty rad, imo. Might learn a thing or two from it as well.
>>
>>44701494

Will check out.
>>
>>44700157

I am somewhat of a crusty Anon, and others are free to call my taste stanky if they wish, but I'd suggest the following:

The Last Unicorn
Karl Edgar Wagner's Kane (specifically the short story compilation "Night Winds")
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
The Thieftaker chronicles
The Prydain books
A Wizard of Oz (fight me, anons)
Sweet Silver Blues
Joe Abercrombie's First Law
Quintessence, David Walton
The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Fred Saberhagen's "Book of Swords" trilogy
Robert Silverberg's Night Wings
Viriconium
Clark Ashton Smith's Xothique stories.
Jack Vance's Dying earth.
Hawkmoon and Chronicles of Corum. Elric if you wanna be more grimderp.

Some old, some new, all good reads with various contributions any GM could profit from
>>
>>44701634

>Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

My friend and compatriot of African descent.
>>
>>44700157
Appendix N is a good place to start.
>>
>>44700157
It's a really expansive genre. What sort of things do you like?

If you like Hindu kill 6 billion demons weirdness, try out LORD OF LIGHT.

If you like grim military campaigns, try out THE BLACK COMPANY or MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN.

For excessive world building and failed potential, there's THE WHEEL OF TIME.

If you're looking for new weird, PERDIDO STREET STATION is a mix of urban and the fantastic.

If you like more historical works, try out SOLDIER IN THE MIST.

Tell us what sort of things you like, whether that's in video games, movies, or whatever, and we'll be able to give you better recommendations.
>>
>>44702048

Man, I love Glen Cook, and Black Company. He eventually soured me on Garrett PI, too

But there were so many little niggling flaws in the books that drove me batty.
>>
The Nightrunner Series by Lynn Flewelling is my favorite. Books 1 and 2 are the best, but the others are enjoyable in different ways.
>>
>>44702048
>It's a really expansive genre. What sort of things do you like?

Well Im open to a lot really and the broader my horizons can get the better.

Ill give those things you mentioned a shot.
>>
>>44702048

Yeesh, Wheel of Time. Got about six books in before I realized I liked the Dark One more than I liked any of the protagonists.

>>44700157

Song of Fire and Ice is fun, unless reading about your favorite characters dying makes you feel bad.
>>
>>44702048
>failed potential
Come again?
>>
>>44702205

It's a good deal sillier than these worthy suggestions, but Discworld is great fun to read, and can be surprisingly thoughtful.
>>
>>44700157
seconding wheel of time for its worldbuilding, even if it's not your kinda world gotta admit it's really well thought
>>44702209
alright man, i get the heroes aren't the most likeable but how can you not enjoy reading mat chapters after book three ?
>>
File: 1444479189751.jpg (277 KB, 718x1024) Image search: [Google]
1444479189751.jpg
277 KB, 718x1024
>>44700157
I'd like some fantasy books centered around werewolves, preferably ones that follow werewolf protags where they're being hunted down. No Discworld
>>
>>44702267

It was a disaster of a series that had some fantastic ideas but spiraled so utterly out of control that the author's brain thought amyloidosis would be preferable to fixing the clusterfuck that was his writing.

It could have been one of the best series of the genre. What it is is a disappointment, even to those of us who are fans.
>>
>>44704567
I dunno man Matt made out like a fucking bandit and was incredibly likeable.
>>
>>44700157
believing you need anything besides tolkien is only a sign you aren't deep enough into the tolkien. deeper, go deeper
>>
>>44700157
Any fa/tg/uy ever read the Death Gate cycle? Is it any good?
>>
>>44705278

Not too deep, though. That doesn't end well for anybody.
>>
Personally, the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony is my favorite fantasy series. There's just a charm in those books that I love. Additionally, Magic Kingdom For Sale... Sold! is awesome.
>>
>>44705278
The anons read too greedily and too deep, disturbed that from which they fled
>>
>>44700157
I'm probably going to get shit on for saying this, but a good urban fantasy series is The Dresden Files. Way different than high fantasy stuff but the books are pretty great.
>>
>>44702325

I actually have read some discworld. Quite enjoyed them.
>>
Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear
Magic's Price series (if you can handle a homosexual protagonist - I'm no fan, but this is a well written series) by Mercedes Lackey
Tales from the Flat Earth by Tanith Lee
As much as I hate everything else he's written, David Eddings Elenium and Tamuli series were actually very good.
>>
File: Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg (121 KB, 1024x669) Image search: [Google]
Kingkiller-Chronicles-1024x669.jpg
121 KB, 1024x669
The Name of the Wind
>>
>>44705460

Dresden Files isn't going to win Butcher the Nobel in literature, but they're fun as hell to read and could give some good inspiration for DMing a modern fantasy setting.
>>
>>44700157

People will probably fight me on whether or not it's really "fantasy", but fuck it, I'll put it right out there.

Dark Tower series.
>>
File: Conan the Cimmerian.jpg (533 KB, 1250x931) Image search: [Google]
Conan the Cimmerian.jpg
533 KB, 1250x931
>>44700157
I can't believe nobody's posted it yet.
The Conan stories by Robert E Howard
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/36031
>>
>>44705608
Butcher is a pretty great author for characters. He's honestly one of my favorite authors.
>>
The Riddlemaster of Hed series by Patricia McKillip
>>
Prince of Nothing series.

Enjoy reading about a mentalist /Jesus trying to take over the world.
>>
>>44701634
These are all excellent choices.

Others:
The Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone
The Young Wizards series by Diane Duane (YA) - the last few books in the series aren't as good as the first ones; read up to Wizard's Dilemma and the companion books (Book of Night With Moon and To Visit the Queen).
The Lone Wolf books aren't actually reading books - they're gamebooks in a cross between Choose Your Own Adventure and an actual tabletop game, but the worldbuilding is pretty damn great. Take a look at The Magnamund Companion, at least - it's also conveniently online for free.
>>
>>44700157
The Amber books. First five are great, the rest... debated.
>>
Brandon Sanderson mistborn and stormlight archive(ongoing) - great examples of non-standard worldbuilding, and great way to foreshadow things.
>>
>>44700157
Read Conan. LotR was a snoozefest compared to Conan.
>>
>>44705398
Dare you enter Piers Anthony's magical realm?

>>44702048
>>44701634
Good taste, but no mention of Amber? It may seem cliche, but its really fun to read. At least the first series. Corwin is such a fun protagonist.
>>
>>44700157
>>44706482
>Read Conan.

In bits. You read a whole anthology at once, and it becomes a little too clear how much Rob E. Howard was churning that shit out. Read a story of his every now and again and it's thrilling adventure, though.

Also, do yourself a favor and read Abercrombie's First Law series. It scratches the same gritty fantasy itch that GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire does, but finishes in three books instead of taking fucking forever and diverging for three chapters to talk about teenagers fucking.
>>
>>44700157
Raymond E. Feist
>>
For RPG inspiration, try Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>44706453
This man is correct. It will ruin a lot of other fantasy for you, but Way of Kings is godlike.
>>
>>44705578
I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea but NotW and The Wise Man's Fear are both great books worth reading if you like fantasy. The characters are solid and interesting, if sometimes unlikeable, and both the world building and writing style are great.

I really just love the setting though. The idea of running a campaign set in and around the University, with all the comfyness of the locations in the town, heavy focus on petty rivalries and stuff between students and hints of hidden knowledge is great, though everyone would have to be really on board with the idea.
>>
>write because I can't find things what I want to read
>want to read books
>remember books I like don't exist
If no thought is original, why can't I find my dream book?
>>
>>44706829

What is your dream book? Maybe someone knows of it. If not, hey, maybe someone on here will write it. Who can tell past 3 AM?
>>
What the hell makes for a good fantasy novel cover?
>>
File: tumblr_n6i7b6HL0S1s2si4lo1_1280.jpg (256 KB, 612x960) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6i7b6HL0S1s2si4lo1_1280.jpg
256 KB, 612x960
>>44706870
>>
>>44700157
As a teen I thoroughly enjoyed "The Dragonbone Chair" trilogy by Ted Williams. I found it to be a great read, but holy shit it takes almost 13-15 chapters for anything to actually happen in the first book, then it's just gravy. If you can get past that point, it's a pretty good read.

I also enjoyed "The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon. I actually didn't realize there was more publications, so I may check out the rest. I found it to be a pretty good read.
>>
>>44705663
>>44705608
>>44705460

Butcher's other series "Codex Alera" is pretty good.

Just finished reading it, 6 books total
>>
>>44706859
Something where the main character starts off small, in worldly knowledge, views, and strength, and despite coming across strange beings, ancient heresies, silly people, villains with a frightening point, becoming stronger in either body, mind, spirit, and generally changing for the better from these encounters, don't actually become any bigger than what they started out as. They stay small, insignificant compared to these things as they learn from them, just working through what they were trying to do from the start. They change, they learn, but they have their mission and they will do it.

Although I'd prefer fantasy, I might just fuck off and go read some Lovecraft, since that's the closest thing I can imagine, in regards to themes. Oh, and the Hobbit. Middle Earth is ripe with things a little big for a little hobbit, though I was looking for something a couple shades darker. I also heard that the LOTR books were a bit too worldbuilding-geared for some people, and given the one time I touched up the book I read two pages of "On Hobbits" and shut it, I'm inclined to agree, but I realize I may have been putting my raw attitude toward skipping parts of the book ahead of my enjoyment and am willing to give it a second chance at Chapter One.
>>
>>44706583
Seconding, rift wars series is pretty great.

The dwarves series is pretty good, gives dwarves actual character for once.

The inheritance cycle is ok if you don't mind sociopathic protagonists and blatant plagiarism, as long as it has dragons.
>>
Definitely, try out Sabriel when you find the time.
>>
They are children's books but the Narnia series is a classic for good reasons.

Yeah, yeah, Strong Christian Overtones. Doesn't stop them being very creative in many areas and beautiful for inspiration (Aslan singing the world into existence has stuck with me for years)
>>
File: tumblr_mq08zbu2yz1sqf5tdo9_1280.jpg (299 KB, 1040x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq08zbu2yz1sqf5tdo9_1280.jpg
299 KB, 1040x1280
>>44706557
Absolutely agree. I did the thing where I read the whole anthology and it just blurs together. Reading it piecemeal is a better way to go, imo.
>>
>>44707032
Then do give Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear a read. The original publication was two books, The Infinity Concerto and The Serpent Mage.

What you describe is pretty much what happens to the main character.
>>
File: 1423785713149.jpg (84 KB, 343x471) Image search: [Google]
1423785713149.jpg
84 KB, 343x471
>>44707531
Seconding. I haven't read it in a long while so I can't remember exactly what about it was good and what wasn't as good, but it's definitely a positive memory in my head. Interesting aesthetic as well.
>>
File: Amused Firemage.png (313 KB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
Amused Firemage.png
313 KB, 500x298
In no particular order some of my favorites.

Malazan Book of the Fallen series (completed)
The Black Company series
Raven's Shadow series (completed)
Stormlight Archive series (only 2 books so far)
The Prince of Nothing series (completed)
Kingkiller Chronicles (2 books so far)
Dresden Files (I don't even know)
The Dark Tower (quick before it gets retconned to Roland being a black guy)
Pretty much all of fantasy by Joe Abercrombie

And lastly the hilarious and sometimes frighteningly insightful adventures of super angry, magical Objectivist Jesus and his harem of powerful women.
>>
File: Ta'veren.png (1 MB, 800x1149) Image search: [Google]
Ta'veren.png
1 MB, 800x1149
>>44702209
Matt is a fucking badass later on though, idk the series ends well later on I think, I'd like to state that the Seanchan will always be Asian idc if the Seanchan characters like Tuan are black.
>>
File: la_quete_d_ewilan1[1].jpg (491 KB, 600x970) Image search: [Google]
la_quete_d_ewilan1[1].jpg
491 KB, 600x970
>>44701634
Most works by Jack Vance would qualify: Tschai, Big Planet & Roboat, Cugel,...
On the same style of modern hero travelling to a fantasy setting, GLory Road by Heinlein is quite good.

Does anyone know if Ewilan's Quest has ever been translated into english, btw?
It's one of the rare excellent fantasy children books, so it's a great entry point, but I've been unable to find it in english so far.
>>
File: tuon.jpg (661 KB, 680x850) Image search: [Google]
tuon.jpg
661 KB, 680x850
>>44708281
>idc if the Seanchan characters like Tuan are black.

Skin the colour of fertile soil. That's sub-saharan Africa. The society on the other hand is the stereotypical far east orientalism fare cranked up to fantasy.
>>
File: tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg (22 KB, 445x456) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg
22 KB, 445x456
>>44701634
>The Last Unicorn
>Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
>The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Mein neger.
>>
>>44710420
I'd actually recommend he watch the movie for TLU first, honestly.

One of the best fantasy movies ever.
>>
>>44710458
>One of the best fantasy movies ever
Agreed.
>Oh? And where were you twenty years ago, ten years ago? Where were you when I was new? When I was one of those innocent, young maidens you always come to? How dare you, how dare you come to me now, when I am this?
>>
Amazing how /tg/ is better at giving reccomendations than /lt/ is.

>>44700157Some pretty good rccs already, but here's some more:

Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy and his Lightbringer series.
Bradley P. Bealieu Lays of Anuskaya, the enidng is a little meh but it has great worldbuilding and a very russian feel.
Robin Hobb Farseer trilogy, has a pretty good take on what having an Animal Companion would be like.
Brian McClellan Powder mage trilogy, has a pretty nice system for magical guns side by side with regular magic.
Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt has a world without humans. Let me repeat wthout humans. All the races in it are human looking but insect based.

Some urban fantasy reccs too:
Jim Butcher Dresden Files. The best urban fantasy right now. The first two three books aren't all that good, but Butcher has the ability to make each book more and more awesome.
Charles Stross Laundry Files is good, but it's better if you know some basic of computer science.
Anton Strout Simon Canderous series and Benedict Jacka Alex Verus series are both good takes on how someone with information gathering powers can be badass in a world with monster and mages.
Ben Aaronovich Rivers of London series is cool and it shows some good police procedural scenes. Good for fans of cop shows.
Finally Simon R Green Nightside and Secret Histories are great at showing an Earth with a hidden world of magic, superscience and just general weirdness.
>>
>>44710599
fuck you, that scene always makes me tear up a little.
>>
>>44707032
>"What's your dream book?"
>replies with a loose outline of Campbell's Hero's Journey
If you're seriously saying you can't find ONE book where this happens, you are not actually reading books.
>>
I'll be echoing some suggestions already, but my top recommendations are:

-Dresden Files is a pretty phenomenal series. It's not groundbreaking, but the world's pretty interesting and the characters are damn good. He has a finished series, Codex of Alera, which is basically roman Avatar: TLA with werewolves, and just started a new series which looks to be a pretty nice foray into the Steampunk genre.

-Name of the Wind, absolutely. It's the best fantasy book to hit the market in a long time imo, and you can only benefit from reading it.

-Joe Abercrombie's The First Law is great if you're looking for something darker. In fact, if you're looking for a little grimdark with a fair dash of fantasy, anything by Abercrombie should suit you.

-If you're looking for something more historically minded, Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon series is actually pretty solid. It's Napoleonic wars but instead of standard siege machines, dragons (with well thought-out changes to society as a result, mind you). It's a really good example of a worldbuilder going "It's like X, but with Y included" and making that feel believable.
>>
>>44701634
>Joe Abercrombie's First Law
Mein Negro. I haven't got round to his Half A King series, I hear it's more for young adults.

For anyone else who likes that sort of low-fantasy, I'd recommend.

The Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan

The Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch

I have straight up stolen stuff from Scott Lynch for my homebrew.

>>44706557
I really liked the three stand alone books he did afterwards too, especially The Heroes.

>>44706720
I really, really like his prose and the setting, especially the magic systems. A lot of people feel that Kvothe is a bit of a self insert Gary Sue, and on a couple of occasions he does skirt close to that, but I think people should give them a read and decide for themselves.
>>
>>44711388
>The Gentleman Bastards

My man. That series is fucking gold.

As for NotW, I'd agree the Kvothe is a little special snowflake-y, but I'd agree that Gary Sue is a little harsh.
>>
File: 1247464133_Q5635-1050x10000.jpg (262 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
1247464133_Q5635-1050x10000.jpg
262 KB, 1050x526
>>44711388
>>44711445

It does skirt the edge a few times, though.

Image contains Wise Man's Fear spoilers.
>>
>>44711518

I gotta say, those Adem tho.
>>
The Broken Empire trilogy by Mark Lawrence, Perfect if you like a deep and dark protagonist
>>
>>44710874
But in the Hero's Journey, the character becomes big enough to face these things. There's a reason I brought up Lovecraft. These things I'm thinking of are impossibly big. They're mountains, and though the hero may surpass these things through skill, they never become big enough to flatten the mountain. It might be because they know they can't tackle two things at once, it may be because they don't have the means to acquire the power to deal with it, and it may be any number of reasons, but the main thing is they don't think on that scale. They stay small. Despite accomplishing their goal, they hardly become any greater than what they always were, even in the perspective of their own small conflict. They walk home, walking past the remnants of what arm or leg or whatever unholy appendage of some greater thing or organization that got in their way, and return home, which has become little better than what it was on page one, showing that they only managed to maintain the status quo, rather than change the world.

More of a Nameless Wanderer's Journey, rather than a Hero's Journey.
>>
File: image.jpg (299 KB, 565x1283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
299 KB, 565x1283
>>44700157
>>
>>44700157
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
A must read!
Brent Weeks' Lightbringer Series
if you hail from Germany (like me) try Dragonelves (Drachenelfen) by Bernard Hennen but i recommend to read The Elves (elfen) first.

all in all this will be about 20 books that should keep you busy anon.
>>
File: deep secret.jpg (26 KB, 230x354) Image search: [Google]
deep secret.jpg
26 KB, 230x354
>>44700157
Deep Secret by Diana Wynne Jones, also her Dalemark Quartet
>>
What does /tg/ think of Prince/King/Emperor of Thorns?

Lookin around on amazon and came upon them.
>>
>>44700157
LORD OF LIGHT
I
G
H
T
>>
>>44700157
The Dragonlance chronicles are really expansive and good (albeit some books are intended for a younger audience). They are definitely my favourite and I highly suggest reading them to anyone who likes fantasy. R.A
Salvatore is also really great, his universe is the "sister" universe of the Dragonlance universe
>>
>>44710621
I'll second Night Angel, not so much Lightbringer (yet, I've not started book 3 yet). It's not the best fantasy I've ever read, but as something of a deconstruction of grimdark fantasy (the universe grows lighter and lighter as more magic is introduced to separate it from the low fantasy hellhole it is at the start) and a fun action series I quite like it.
Don't let the North America covers put you off, even the author hates them with a burning passion.
>>
>>44700157
How about suggestions for a younger person? Say a fourteen year old girl who is getting in to fantasy?

I'd like to avoid anything too over the top creepy, explicit torture stuff things like that. I'd also like to avoid any explicit sex stuff.

More story than titillation, if you get me.

Any good suggestions?
>>
>>44700157
Tolkien
A Wizard of Earthsea
that is all
>>
>>44700157
Night Angel Trilogy
MistBorn Final Empire
King Killer Chronicles
>>
>>44718392
The Last Unicorn is a must here.
Not because girl, but because it's a freaking amazing story.
>>
File: this.jpg (24 KB, 297x216) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
24 KB, 297x216
>>44718434
>Earthsea
This, OP. Boat Jedi Wizard Chronicles a best.
>>
/tg/ really should have some kind of literary recommendation chart like other boards do. A nice bunch of books with title, author, genre and short description can go a long way.
>>
Chronicles of the Black Company
The Belgariad
>>
>>44718392
The Seven Realms novels are pretty great, especially for girls/younger readers.
>>
>>44705638
Seconding this anon. The early Conan stories are great fun.
>>
Can't go wrong with The Black Company...it has everything /tg/ likes. Protracted military campaigns...one hell of a waifu...grimdark out the wazoo.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is like the updated, better written cousin of TBC, and is probably my favorite fantasy series overall. Erikson's writing is pretty much unparalleled in the genre...and he is the undisputed master of the bromance.
>>
>>44718913
>Boat Jedi Wizard Chronicles
That... neatly encapsulates the books. Huh.
>>
The Abhorsen Trilogy is bretty good. Midwinter and The Office of Shadow are real good too, sort of high fantasy spy novels.
>>
Elric saga is a bit OW the EDGE, but it's well-written.
>>
Can't believe I didn't see it more but The Belgariad by David Eddings is amazing if you are looking for a Tolkien but not Tolkien feel.
I have to second the Dresden Files and Mistborn.
Some series I would recommend would be The Septimus Heap series, the first book is called Magyk.
The second would be the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan stroud.
>>
>>44713623
Good read. Just know Every character is an ass. But you end up liking the main.
>>
>>44718392
Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is, in my opinion, some do the best YA fantasy yet written (yes, even the third book).
>>
Anyone know that character from dnd fantasy books, hes a wizard but rarely casts/is good at magic, instead he gets lucky
>>
My girlfriend actually got me into Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle.

The first book starts out a bit slow, but that's because it has a whole bunch of backstory and setting to explain. It gets to be pretty badass later, and has some excellent world building.

I would definitely suggest it.
>>
>>44718392
Earthsea might be a pretty heavy reading for a fourteen-year-old, but it's very well-written and is quite influential despite its relative obscurity compared to LotR or Narnia.
>>
File: PhenoixGuard.jpg (534 KB, 797x1175) Image search: [Google]
PhenoixGuard.jpg
534 KB, 797x1175
>>44706929
>I also enjoyed "The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon

Bro, all the way.

In addition to that there is the books by Robin Hobb, the Farseer Trilogy for example.

And the Phoenix Guard by Steven Brust. It's a DnD version of the 3 musketeers, and its marvelous.
>>
>>44718392
Rick Riordan and all his mythology series. Percy Jackson, the Kanes and now there's a norse one.
>>
>>44705280
I read it about a decade ago. I enjoyed it at the time, but the first book is really disjointed compared to the rest of the series since the main protagonist doesn't show up until the middle of the book and seems almost like an antagonist.

I think the authors had one thing in mind but after they finished the first book they altered the plan, so we're left with that odd start.
>>
>>44705670
This. So much this.
>>
>>44700157

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.
>>
>>44700157
The Book of the New Sun. It's not an easy read, but it is an extremely rewarding one.
>>
>>44707531
This.

Also the two follow-up books, Lirael and Abhorsen. Solid stuff there. Disreputable Dog. ;_;7
>>
>>44720235
One thing to remember with Malazan is that you will probably hate the first book or two.
>>
>>44701494
A really cool series I like the way it's written as a set of journals kinda.
>>
>>44700157
Are we just including books or can we add graphic novels? Cause if so, BPRD; and Hellboy, and maybe Judge Dredd (yes it counts he's had to deal with magic before and a psychic evil ghost child from the future it's complicated).
>>
>>44702267
Hard wot is amazing.
>>
I was surprised to see so many (mediocre) mentions but the worst of it for me was The Name of the Wind. It is riddled with marysue-ism and is pretty much your typical heroic fantasy in every shape and form.

I myself would second tasteful anons who recommended The Second Apocalypse by Bakker, Perdido Street Station and books by Abercrombie (not the first law trilogy but works that came after it).
>>
>>44700157
Across the subgenres, some quick recs:

Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks(3 books, ended)
Oath of Empire series by Thomas Harlan(4 books, ended)
Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher(6 books, ended)
The Laundry series by Charles Stross(7 books, ongoing)
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay(standalone)
Felix Castor series by Mike Carey(5 books,ended)
Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone(5 books, ongoing)
>>
>>44700157
I'd describe it as a romance novel sooner than I'd describe it as a fantasy novel, but magic is integral and everpresent in its plot. I highly recommend The Night Circus, the rules are loose but the portrayal of magic in the writing is the best I've ever seen anywhere and I think it's a great reference for description in writing or in games.
>>
I love /tg/.
>>
John Norman - Gor
R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing and Aspect-Emperor
>>
>>44727413
>Gor

QUICK SOMEONE POST HOUSEPLANTS OF GOR
>>
>>44700157
I recommend the Garrett, P.I. series if you want pure fun value. It doesn't bring anything particularly new to the table, but the way Glen Cook meshes detective novels, high fantasy, and snark makes it fun to read. And the episodic style of the books makes it so you could easily rip a plot straight from them if you really wanted to.

>>44702083
Did you mean sold? Or was there something you didn't like about the series?

>>44702557
I'd probably have liked the series more if he had stuck with one or two protagonists per book, and had events in different books run concurrently, inatead of trying to force every book to be consecutive.

>>44702619
I've been looking too, best I've found is The Wolf's Hour, which is alt hist of ww2

>>44705280
I just reread it last year. It's got it's high points, like the tattooing magic runes & stuff, but it's pretty predictable high fantasy. I'd get it from the library for the first three before deciding to buy anything.

>>44706453
Agreed, all of Sanderson's work is pretty unique, and fun.

>>44706969
That series made me really want to play a campaign there. It'd probably work in FATE too.

>>44707531
Oh yes, Garth Nix's YA books are all a pretty fun read as well.
>>
>>44710621
>Amazing how /tg/ is better at giving reccomendations than /lt/ is.
Honestly not even slightly surprising to me. /tg/ reads for pleasure, /lit/ reads for...i guess technique? They always seem sort of snobby about books to me.
>>
>>44727441
/lit/ is pretty horribly snobbish, yes.
>>
>>44718392
Anything by Garth Nix
>>
Two series I've been reading recently are the Powder Mage trilogy as well as the Moontide Quartet. Both were pretty good, but the latter isn't quite finished yet.
>>
Neil Gaiman's American Gods is a good modern fantasy/mythology book
>>
>>44726686
>your typical heroic fantasy
That's exactly what OP asked for. We aren't /lit/. If a series is fun to read, we recommend it.
>>
File: Woodlands.jpg (425 KB, 1500x777) Image search: [Google]
Woodlands.jpg
425 KB, 1500x777
>>44727456
Seconding this. I loved his Abhorsen books when I was younger. Can definitely recommend them.
>>
>>44702619
Siobhan Quinn. Homeless drug addict turned Werewolf/Vampire hybrid acts as an agent for hire in a world that shares the Lovecraft Mythos. She generally gets the shit beaten out of her. The stories are Neo-Noir in tone.
>>
>>44700157
Has Disceorld been translated into italian?
>>
>>44709079

They're not all black, as Seanchan is pretty much just another whole continent with a mix of races and peoples. Like most of the nations in WoT, it's not really just one thing either - it's got a lot of heavy Eastern undertones, but resembles a lot of medieval European empires as well. But really, the best way to describe Seanchan is that it is that it's got some main character-level plothax going on.
>>
>>44727138
I love you too. No homo though
>>
>>44727513
How long are the books, page wise?
>>
>>44727525
I'm sure some of them have. The author's name is Terry Pratchett, and there's somewhere close to 40 books. Most of the are stand alones though.
>>
>>44727554
Not really stand alone books. They don't need to be read in order, I suppose, but there is a sort of timeline and development.

Favourite series of mine in Discworld would be the Watch books, though. Vimes is basically a paladin who falls in reverse, and it's brilliant.
>>
>>44701634
>Vance
>Harrison
>Silverberg

10/10 taste.
>>
>>44727546
Well, I listened to them on audiobook. They were about 9 hours each, if that gives you any indication. Combine the three together and I'd say you'd have your average GRRM doorstopper.
>>
>>44727607
Okay. May pick up the first one from the library then. Nook wants $13 for it.
>>
>>44701634
Crust on brother. These are good-ass recs.
>>
>>44727422
http://www.rdrop.com/~wyvern/data/houseplants.html
>>
>>44717594
>Forgotten Realms
>belonging to salvatore

Get the fuck out.
>>
>>44721040
You're not seeing Belgariad mentioned often because it's honestly not very good, once you get those nostalgia goggles off.
>>
>>44727661

Everyone knows it's Greenwood's Magical Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>44727428
Out of curiousity, have you read Nix's Newest one, Newt Emerald, any? Any good?
>>
>>44702619
twilight
>>
Lukyanenko's Night Watch series is pretty good. Unique take on magic and magical creatures, as well.
>>
>>44721040
Belgariad is solid. Story is absolutely standard, but the fun is in the characters.

Elenium is better, though.
>>
File: 1368137802370.gif (3 MB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1368137802370.gif
3 MB, 220x220
>>44700157
I'd recommend the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, or if you're looking for something a little different, the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson.
>>
>>44727684
I have not. I've been rereading all my childhood favorites, so he'll be coming up soon though.
>>
>>44721606
Agreed.
>>
>>44727661
Sorry, but he has like 30 fucking books in the universe, excuse me for saying "his".
>>
I absolutely loved the first two Witcher short stories collections. But right now I'm going through first novel, Blood of Elves, and it's pretty terrible. Please tell me it gets better. I just want to read about Geralt's comfy mundane adventures and occasional encounters with Yennefer like I did in the The Last Wish.
>>
Tales of the Otori original trilogy. It's set in not-japan.
>>
>>44718392
Ewilan's Quest by Bottero.
>>
>>44718392
I remember liking Artemis Fowl as a kid, at least the ones I read.
>>
>>44721606
>even the third book
That ending was bullshit, why couldn't they be together ;_; fucking bullshit dimensional shadow-monster things, I'm still pissed off about that
>>
>>44727635
>>44727422
Is this what those books are really like?
This is hysterical
>>
File: oceanwp800x600.jpg (578 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
oceanwp800x600.jpg
578 KB, 800x600
>>44700157
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Standalone.)
Brimstone Angels by Erin M Evans(5 books, Ongoing, planned for 6)
The Deeds of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon (Trilogy, Ended)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (7 Books, Ended). Pretty mainstream but if you got young ones to read to I recommend it.
The Night Angel Trilogy has been recommend several times and I'll recommend that too.
I've also heard lots of good things about The Emperor's Blades by Brain Staveley (the first of a Trilogy).
>>
>>44718392
The Young Wizards books.
Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.