[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Puzzle/riddle thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 640x427
I was given this image and I thought it would be cool to start a thread over riddles and such. I have been looking for the solution to this, as the image is supposedly a password to unlock a video sent to me. If anyone could solve it I will keep you posted on the video and will post it. I know the answer to the riddle is a clock or watch, and the numbers/box is Fibonacci related.
>>
>>44699095
>I was given this image and I thought it would be cool to start a thread over riddles and such.
You thought wrong.
>>
#wrekt
>>
wtf is this, your homework?
>>
Fairly certain that's a golden ratio sequence. See how if you look at it, the widths have a certain pattern to them?
Let's call the big red box "A", and the entire rest of the total rectangle "B". The golden ratio is "A+B is to A, as A is to B". It makes for very pretty looking rectangles.

The sequence of numbers is a bunch of Fibonacci numbers, which correspond to the golden ratio. One particular example cycles inward with 21, 13, 8, 5, etc.

The riddle itself doesn't rhyme. I think your answer to that one is correct.

Do you have any more information about the password itself?
>>
The only other hint I got was that there is a lot of "space" to get to the next step(the video) and there is a "question" of "significance" somewhere.
>>
File: ktane.jpg (53 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
ktane.jpg
53 KB, 620x300
I've been thinking of making a "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" physical puzzle for my players. Probably just small ones with five panels all on one side and a timer. I'd have all but two of them go in another room with the most convoluted defusal manual I can think up and have to talk with the defusers using their phones.

In game, the first bomb would just detonate some good loot that they want if they fail. Then I would give them a second bomb that's actually plot relevant later.

Do you think a five part puzzle would be too hard?
>>
>>44699095
Answer to the riddle is obviously a clock.

Perhaps you are supposed to use the Fibonacci numbers to get a time stamp? 00:00 -> 01:02 Then the next two that match colors would be 05:13
>>
>>44699494
Thanks for the numbers, but those will not unlock the file. I wonder if the password includes a word or something about the picture as a whole.
>>
>>44699095
> I know the answer to the riddle is a clock or watch, and the numbers/box is Fibonacci related.
You're right, you're probably just typing the answer in wrong. Anyway, let's do a REAL riddle.

>Ten wizards attend a gathering. They shake hands with some other number of wizards, but not all, possibly none. No wizards can shake hands twice.
>If exactly 20 handshakes have taken place, in how many different ways can this have occurred?
>>
>>44699730
That's not a riddle, that's a math problem.
>>
>>44699730
at least 2
>>
>>44699730
It's trick question. Everyone knows wizards don't shake hands
>>
>>44699730
>>Ten wizards attend a gathering. They shake hands with some other number of wizards, but not all, possibly none. No wizards can shake hands twice.
>>If exactly 20 handshakes have taken place, in how many different ways can this have occurred?

see >>44699199
>>
>>44699095
>>44699494

I think it's 6:02, since there's two red boxes, you'd likely total them.

>>44699326
"Question of significance" could imply it's something to do with significant numbers, which generally means no zeroes before or after the numbers... which isn't super important.

Alternatively, if it's "clock 6:02", That's roughly 179 degrees as angle, which could be the "space". Mentioned. It's also 28 minutes of space on the clock itself, so there's a couple answers there.

Hmm.

On the other hand, if we're going by the AREA of the image for "space", green is 4, and red is 26...26:04 is, militarily speaking actually 02:04, two in the morning, etc.

Shrug, there's so many purely mathematical variations it's hard to pin down.

What was the EXACT explanation given? Because phrasing or a 'typo' could lend another clue.

On a more general path of puzzles/riddles, I do think it's a kind of cool, if slightly silly DMing trick, to do a Lord of The Rings style riddle, where the riddle is based on a character's knowledge of a language. It can help the adventure's versimilitude. I remember the Sunless Citadel had a couple with magical rewards/traps based on speaking Draconic at the right/wrong time. ("Breath" got you a potion of fire breathing, while "Death" activated a trap.) Ideas like that, where the logic line has a visible basis in the world.
>>
>>44700165
There is so much "space" for you to take me through every step it takes to find the answer. I will tell you this, if you did not find the "question" of "significance", you may need to keep going. I don't expect you to know this right away, so you will need to do some research.

Thats the hint they sent me with the image
>>
Password was 09:25. thanks for the help though
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.