[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X raised by Y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11
File: 250px-WorfTNG.jpg (14 KB, 250x305) Image search: [Google]
250px-WorfTNG.jpg
14 KB, 250x305
>I'm a Klingon raised by humans
>I'm a boy raised by wolves
>I'm an alien raised by Kansans
>I'm a drow raised by dwarves

Are characters like these acceptable in your games, /tg/? Why or why not?
>>
I don't really see it as any different from the countless other cliches that people often use as a starting point for a character
>>
>>44661133
I...don't think it is, no.
>>
>>44661097
The correct reply is, in most cases,
>"...and?"
That shit doesn't tell us who your character really is.
>>
>>44661097
And they all strangely only exist in their respective settings to showcase how strong some big bad guy is.
>>
>Human raised by kobolds

That was pretty fun, if a little magical realm backstory-wise.
>>
>>44661097
I played a Catfolk raised by Orcs, but that was mostly because I wanted a bite attack. And the only way to get a 1d4 bite attack as any other race than Orc in PF is to take the Adopted Trait. Seemed kind of ridiculous that I had to do that, while playing a race based on actual predators.

Worf was an interesting character, though. A typical second-generation immigrant, forever in love with a fantasy-vision of his home culture. I've started liking him less over the years as he and the Klingons start to more and more represent the problems in current day Europe. Having a pet Klingon on the bridge who occasionally runs off to fight in klingon wars is nice when he's "the only Klingon in Starfleet", but imagine if 5% of the population were Worfs. Even in the last season of DS9 he physically threatens Bashir for hanging out with half of his dead wife. It's also typical to see Picard be tolerant of Klingon culture, speak Klingon, deal with them, but when he meets a non-Fed human colony, he's judgemental as fuck, demanding they instantly spring in line.
>>
File: 1445610431680.jpg (39 KB, 198x390) Image search: [Google]
1445610431680.jpg
39 KB, 198x390
>>44662460
>>
I just played a 5e oneshot as a elvish druid who was raised by a pack of wild giant spiders

Was pretty fun.
>>
>>44662675
Did he/she make webs?
>>
>>44661097
In a oneshot recently a friend of mine played a Druid who, lost as a baby in the woods, was raised by group of giant spiders. He was now finding fitting into humanoid society difficult, especially when his family had been killed by a group of adventurers. He was a pretty fun character, hope he uses him again at some point.
>>
>>44662675
>>44662736
I should have actually read the thread first it seems.
>>
>I'm a drow.

Mary sue.

>Raised by dwarves.

Mary sue.

I allow humans raised by humans, only if they are both peasants, in a small village (no less than 200 people, no more than 5000), with no interesting things happening between 8 and 18 years old. Everything else runs the risk of derailing my game and taking the spotlight from myself.
>>
File: 1434183391990.png (218 KB, 684x379) Image search: [Google]
1434183391990.png
218 KB, 684x379
>>44662675
>>44662736
I can only assume you two know each other?
>>
>>44661097
>Human child raised first by wild animals and then by eccentric professor.
>>
>>44661097

Human raised by bears, raised by orcs, raised by dragons, raised by halflings.
We come from a proud line of adoptions.
>>
>Dragon raised by humans
>Since a newborn, impressed to appear human
>Didn't know he was a dragon for this reason
>During his adolescence, learned his nature when some of the livestock birthed half-dragons

I think the DM was just fucking with us, but it was kind of funny.
>>
>>44662835
He was screwing his cows?
>>
>>44662675
>>44662736
surprise
>>
>>44662856
Horses actually. Maybe one cow if I remember, but yeah as a teen with hormones kicking in, he was out fucking some of the animals in secret. Of course it became clear what was happening and his adoptive parents let him know his true nature.
>>
>>44662876
I would argue that dragon or human, pretty weird for your thoughts upon getting an erection for the first time is, "Damn Silver looks good from behind".
>>
>>44662917
It's actually kinda clever, since dragons and humans are known for fucking anything and everything.
>>
>>44662917
Obviously it was weird, and that was the point I guess. It didn't play out like the guy was a furry or into animals, just that he was young and horny and curious.
>>
>>44662917
eh if you look at the more nomadic cultures it is really common. I know for a fact that herders in Afghanistan regular fuck their goats because 1- i have seen them do it and 2- they are alone with them in remote areas where you might be 35+ miles from they closest human. to them it was no different than uses their hand to jerk off.
>>
>>44662961

I'd be scared off my mind if I were to fuck a horse, I mean, I've seen what a horsekick can do!
>>
>>44663125
>I've seen what a horsedick can do!
ftfy
>>
>>44661097
>I'm a man raised by women
Is this acceptable?
>>
We had an Orc raised by Kobolds for some major identity and behavioral issues.
>>
>>44663125
Based on passive 4chan knowledge absorption, when female horses get to know you and like you, some "present" themselves and display stuff with their horse ladyparts, and more or less invite you to bang them, and won't kick or spook and shit.
>>
>>44662756
>Mary sue.

Define "Mary Sue", Anon. I don't think you actually know what it means.
>>
>>44665062
Read the whole post, anon.
>>
>>44665090
It doesn't actually define Mary Sue, it just makes an arbitrary assumption about a character based on race and background. Though at least it seemed to force everyone to play human and only human.

Though every single character coming from a boring peasant farmer background sounds...well, boring, given the plethora of options available even in a heavily realistic pseudo-Medieval setting, never mind a land of high magic and adventure.
>>
File: 1450563697076.gif (8 KB, 200x234) Image search: [Google]
1450563697076.gif
8 KB, 200x234
>>44663229
No magical realm!
>>
>>44665113
IT'S A SATIRE OF ASSHOLE DMS YOU MONG!
>>
File: dukat.jpg (70 KB, 800x1142) Image search: [Google]
dukat.jpg
70 KB, 800x1142
>>44661097
anybody got the reverse bard screencap?
>>
I'm a boy raised by men
>>
>>44665263
I've met way too many asshole DMs on this site to think that it was intended as satire.
>>
>elf raised by dwarves
>desperately wants to be a dwarf and make adoptive parents proud
>becomes walking, talking dwarf stereotype (grows a scruffy beard he "grooms", exclusively uses axes, drinks beer, swole as fuck, studies mining and smithing, hates those damn dirty elves and everything about them, etc)
>>
>>44661097
I see no problem with it so long as the character is played well.
>>
>>44665406
Not that guy, but it was pretty obvious when he said "they might derail my game and take the spotlight off me." Even if they were an asshole dm for real, they'd keep it a little more under wraps than that.
>>
>>44665835

>hates those damn dirty elves and everything about them
>>
>>44661097
Sure, they are as good concepts as any. Just needs details, that's all
>>
>>44663216
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enumclaw_horse_sex_case
>>
>>44661097
Dunno about the first three, but I like Sandy.
>>
>>44663229
Judging by my students... no.
>>
>>44662756
>Human with peasant backstory raised in small village
You realize that's your standard Chosen One backstory, right?
>>
>>44667835
The other three are Worf from Star Trek, Mowgli from The Jungle Book (alternately Romulus from Roman myth), and Superman respectively.
>>
>>44668470
No, no. I meant the origins of such characters.

From one point I like it when a person in fiction is brought up by other species, it gives interesting ways.

Sometimes however it can be done...dunno how to call it.

Some people fail at doing it.
>>
>>44661327
>>44662534
See, that's the thing with why Worf work: He's a Klingon raised by humans trying to juggle understanding his heritage he did not grow up with alongside the values of the Federation he works for and clearly respect despite not always agreeing with it. It's a balance between both worlds and at times we are shown that Worf is, in fact, anything BUT a typical Klingon.

His vision of what Klingon culture is like is nothing short of an idealized fantasy of a young boy who presumably heard stories of larger-than-life heroes of great strength and honor. But as the serie moves more and more into darker territory with Deep Space Nine we see something quite different: In reality, Klingon can be quite the backstabbing vicious assholes. And it also turns out the whole honor thing (and their society as a whole) is a bit more...complicated and nuanced than it look.

Worf is also, amusingly, very un-Klingon like. He's lacking many of the qualities that actually make Klingon endearing; their boisterous, fun-loving nature and sheer passion.
>>
>>44661097
Kansans?
>>
>>44670822
Him actually living up to Klingon ideals as opposed to the reality also got him offered full control of the Klingon Empire at one point, though.
>>
>I'm a Tau raised by humans

How heretical is this?
>>
>>44672550
Enough to get your whole family and all their contacts black bagged by the ordos
>>
File: notamerryman.gif (2 MB, 299x222) Image search: [Google]
notamerryman.gif
2 MB, 299x222
>>44670822
"Klingons do not laugh."
"No Worf, YOU don't laugh."

Yeah, Worf was the Perfect Klingon, and seemed to be constantly in a state of perplexion at his fellow Klingons being some of the douchiest people in the Galaxy. Still, it's kind of weird how people just... accept the Klingons for what they are. I mean, would you go to Quark's when you know there's a shipload of stabhappy Klingons there?
>>
>>44671669
Superman was raised in Kansas
>>
File: scared of babies.jpg (79 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
scared of babies.jpg
79 KB, 640x472
>>44662633
what, uh...
what is the context here?
>>
File: arms like small trees.jpg (54 KB, 736x1080) Image search: [Google]
arms like small trees.jpg
54 KB, 736x1080
>>44665835
someone posted this about how Legolas was supposed to be really swole in the books.
>>
>>44671669
No, no, the proper term is "Kansonians"
>>
>>44662917
Horse vaginas look a lot like human vaginas.
>>
>>44673284
Umm. I don't know how to respond to that.
>>
>>44671708
THough the fact that he instead chose to make the better man, Martok, chancellor instead of simply taking Gowron's seat speaks greatly of him.
>>
>>44673352
Well it's true
>>
>>44673462
Why would you know?
>>
>>44661097
>I'm an onion smuggler raised by the one true king
>>
>>44673507
I've seen pictures here, in fact there's one that compares the parts of a horse and a woman.
>>
File: PZO8500-PricePaid-Hobgoblin.jpg (149 KB, 735x1000) Image search: [Google]
PZO8500-PricePaid-Hobgoblin.jpg
149 KB, 735x1000
They are certainly interesting and can provide opportunities for character interaction that can be funny and actually deep.

That said, people don't really play the angle of having a very different world view that you would get over that or confusing identity. Its part of angle that most players make up, it's more attention getting than, a farmhand who really hates manure.

A human raised by hobgoblins is supposed to be really bizarre, as in he will fiercely believe in his own superiority of his band and will have an attitude of looking down upon many. He as part of a group will hate on any of the half-orcs because they come from undisciplined lot of savages, he'll hate the elves for denying his people's claims to lands, he'll hate the dwarves for similar reasons, and he'll have disdain for culture that is not at all similar to his.

That said, he may find common ground with the paladin since both of them are quite disciplined and even respect for someone who doesn't at all respect his people.

He may end being the tough guy who imposes himself as leader on the party since he is most likely a survivor of countless fighting and has seen his way around. And its plausible for him to have ambition since Hobgoblins are the least moronic of all the goblins.
>>
>>44672585
Human raised by Tau?
>>
>>44661097
>I'm a boy raised by wolves
This has actually happened, more than once.
But yes, it's acceptable, because Fish Out of Water is always fun.
>>
>>44668470
>Mowgli from The Jungle Book (alternately Romulus from Roman myth),
You DO realize we have documented cases, within the past hundred years even, of people being raised by Wolves right?
>>
>>44662675
>>44662736
gay
>>
>>44674783
In past couple of decades, actually. Turns out that far from being given super nature powers it just gives you an almost unconquerable speech impediment.
>>
File: 1390987648696.jpg (39 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
1390987648696.jpg
39 KB, 500x278
>>44661097
There's nothing wrong with that trope. You need to actually explain your concerns in order to even justify why you even brought it up.
>>
>>44675933
Do they speak in barks, tips and growls and mostly use body language? How did they mimic the ear and tail movements of the wolves?
>>
>>44676705
Human speech impediment, if you're being funny. If you want actual details, I'm afraid it's been a few years so I don't have it all ready to present to you.

They didn't speak in dogs. They didn't necessarily mimic every lupine movement on a 1-1 basis, but it turns out that it wasn't necessary. As long as they could mimic the composite gestures and get their meaning across for a handful of important social situations, you didn't need a particularly granular lexicon of movements.
>>
>>44676986
Would it be possible to raise a child in a way where they interact equally with humans and wolves, and learn to communicate with and be accepted by both, for the sole purpose of acting as an ambassador between the two races?
>>
>>44677119
Why don't you go find out?
>>
>>44677119
No, because equality would be measured in both absolute and relational terms, and therefore there is no scenario of equal interaction/communication/acceptance because one would always be out of balance with the other.

Also, you're either a retard or being a piece of shit of now, so I'm done.
>>
>>44674783
Sure, but given that all the other examples were direct references to famous fiction, I assumed that one was too.
>>
>>44677644
Could also be San from Princess Mononoke.
>>
>>44677804
The Jungle Book is just a little more famous than Princess Mononoke. Not hating, just saying.
>>
>>44661097

I want to play a boy raised by robots in a post-apoc setting like Fallout.
>>
>>44678120
So, a cripple? Any robots who can raise a human without staggering developmental problems might as well not be robots anymore.
>>
>>44661097
Sure, I love characters with unique weird things, even if they're cliches
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.