[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Cactusman Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: march of the cactus men 2.png (27 KB, 173x263) Image search: [Google]
march of the cactus men 2.png
27 KB, 173x263
>Core rulebooks, adventure modules, Unearthed Arcana
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What are some monsters from video games and other non-D&D stuff you'd like to use (or already have used) in your 5e games, /5eg/?
>>
First for Sorclockadins adding Cha x3 to damage.
>>
>>44650396
Well, my setting's shadowfell is basically Mictlan meets the spookyland from Darksiders 2.

So I guess that means Mexican dragon zombies.
>>
>>44650396
Most of the big Ratchet & Clank enemies would make for fun bosses.

I'm looking to make a tinker/crafter/merchant for our next campaign to be our party's armory guy. If possible I'd like to be able to contribute to combat as well, so I was thinking along the lines of a conjuration wizard (always have the right tool for the job) or possibly an artificer if my DM okays it.

Any suggestions? I really want to make this work if possible, so I'll take anything I can get.
>>
How do you handle running away without:

>PC/monster uses Dash, moves 60 ft.
>monster/PC moves 30 ft., shoots
>monster/PC moves 30 ft., shoots

etc., until it eventually becomes:

>monster/PC moves 30 ft., shoots with disadvantage
>monster/PC moves 30 ft., shoots with disadvantage

and so on?

It seems bullshit if PCs or monsters can just decide to run away and they 100% of the time get away, but at the same time keeping track of precise distances and turns feels like a waste of everyone's time. Especially since they might be using Dodge or Dash, or they keep using Disengage because enemies have the same movement speed.
>>
>>44650626
...You are missing steps out there.
So the monster/player dashes to their enemy.
The enemy can either move (take opp attack) or disengage and move meaning they can't attack.
If they've done the former then the enemy should be able to move their movement and attack them normally.
>>
>>44650626
Walls, other enemies do something to trip them up, rough terrain..if they're running through unfamiliar territory have them get lost and run into something worse than what they were running from..roll to see if someone trips if visibility is bad..Constitution checks every few rounds because sprinting at top speed while carrying a bunch of gear is extremely tiring after a while.

Think of what would cause somebody to fuck up while running away from something and have that happen if it's reasonable.
>>
>>44650693
Yeah well I'm assuming the quarry managed to put some distance between them, so they can keep use the Dash action without proving opportunity attacks. Maybe after taking one or two of them.

There are the chase rules in the DMG, but those seem more for chase encounters, like an action scene in a movie, rather than geared towards legging it from someone who will definitely kill you.

Taking from the chase rules, maybe something like taking the Dash action as a bonus action to sprint faster, but then a Constitution check or suffer a level of exhaustion? Maybe letting the quarry Disengage or Hide for the same?
>>
Does an Eldritch Knight need a hand free to cast spells?
>>
>>44650626
Opposed athletic checks assuming characters are of equal speed. One or two successes and they're gone.

Alternatively, an athletics and a stealth, if they're doing the whole "hide behind a tree and the big animal just puts its head riiiiiiiiight next to the tree, sniffs, and walks off" thing.
>>
>>44650819

If it is over a fat, featureless plain, then yes, the person running away will get away unless the chaser can kill them with ranged attacks.

Take a look at some chase scenes in movies though. There's something crucial there: obstacles. Crowds. Changes in elevation. Jumps to make. Things knocked over. If you're in a chase sequence, call for skill checks to accomplish things - and maybe allow one skill check as a bonus action to do something incidental - like if chasing through a bazaar, an Athletics check to knock over a kiosk to make difficult terrain behind them.
>>
>>44650951
Yes but he can draw and stow things so quickly that its a rule you can mostly ignore. At least I do, not like Eldritch Knight needs any help being mediocre.

Especially if you're using a 2h, then you can just do the Final Fantasy "Oh I lean the sword on my shoulder, woo, free hand to cast" bullshit.

All in all its not worth tracking unless you have a hateboner for spellswords.
>>
What are some monsters with good synergies?

There are obvious ones of the same type like Goblin Boss + Goblin, Gnoll Pack Lord + Gnoll, etc., but are there any weird ones?

Something like Air Elemental (to knock creatures prone) plus Giant Elk or Triceratops (to damage prone creatures). I don't know.
>>
>>44651001

Works for me!
>>
>>44651014
Kobold + more Kobolds
>>
>>44651045
I like this guy.
>>
>>44650960
That is how I handle it. Throw some skill checks in, do some running, allow an attack or two based on the rolls. I've only had it come up one time, and that was with a character that was fighting an owlbear. Started out running away, turned into kiting it, transitioned in to chasing it after it got damaged. Worked out well.
>>
>>44650951

Everyone needs a free hand to cast spells with somatic components. Completely and utterly RAW, the two ways to deal with this are to use a 1-handed weapon and a free hand, or take the War Caster feat.

Slightly less RAW: Using a two-handed weapon, as long as your GM lets you "let go" since you can CARRY it in one hand, cast the spell, then re-grip the weapon. If this creates a problem with your GM (and it might, since it provides yet another reason to use two-handers over anything else), use a Versatile weapon. You'll get the increased damage die when you aren't casting, but you still can wield it in one hand (at the lower value) whe you do.
>>
Okay teege, I need help not sucking at 5e, not dick, I'm good at that.

Str 16, Dex 14, Con 12, int 10, wis 12, cha 12
Drgnbrn fighter, wanting to switch over to rogue for the remaing 17 levels.

AC 15, using chain shirt.
Using the sub class of the battle master I think, the one that grants supiority dice.
Feint, riposte, and pushing are my moves.

I'm trying to go for an agent type character, someone who sneaks around and slots would be mideival terrorists.

The problem is, I will always roll like shit, always, I don't know why, but d20's real or digital - hate me.

What are some good ways to keep the tactical upperhand, using whatever under handed dirty tricks available that are rules legal? Bonus points for preplanning and social cunning.

I've been following these guides here best I can, but I'm still getting dicked, even in social encounters.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377491-Guides-Tables-and-other-useful-tools-for-5E-D-amp-D

Character mostly based from this guide.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2jlmwl/the_class_is_a_lie_does_that_dark_cloak_come_in_a/
>>
File: oh gosh.jpg (6 KB, 233x103) Image search: [Google]
oh gosh.jpg
6 KB, 233x103
>>44651077
>>
>>44651102
A cleric can have a holy symbol emblazoned on her shield, why can't a fighter have an arcane focus as part of his weapon? Just glue that crystal onto the hilt, problem solved.
>>
>The 5e Monster's Manual changed the myth about Kurtulmak and Garl Glittergold from "Garl collapsed the cave that all the Kobolds lived in out of petty jealousy, genociding the entire Kobold race and killing Kurtulmak" to "lmao Garl collapsed a cave and trapped Kurtulmak"

Way to whitewash those Gnomes Wizards
>>
File: Rotating_Madness_by_Djekspek.jpg (214 KB, 900x636) Image search: [Google]
Rotating_Madness_by_Djekspek.jpg
214 KB, 900x636
Anyone have any good rotating dungeon maps besides Luan Phien and The vault of the Iron Overlord?
>>
>>44651177
Go crazy and use that hypercube dungeon (don't have the screencap sadly).
>>
>>44651132

First off, get to 5 in Fighter for a 2nd attack.

When you can get ahold of Breastplate, do it. Your AC will improve to 17 and you won't suffer stealth disadvantage.

Use Pushing attack to move an enemy into melee with a teammate, then you can Sneak Attack him. If that's not an option at all, you can use Feint to qualify for sneak attack.

If your bonus action is not used, use Cunning Action to put yourself at an advantage - for example, use Disengage to make your attacks, then move away from your target and hide behind a teammate.
>>
>>44651144

That's the Material Component / Focus problem, not the Somatic Component problem.
>>
>>44651177
Is this one detailed anywhere, or is it one of those one-page dungeons left to be fleshed out?

I dig it but I'll have to print this and cut out the sections to make proper sense of it.
>>
>>44651280
But doesn't it also say you can use the same hand for the material component to perform the somatic component?

A cleric with a mace and (holy symbol emblazoned) shield can't cast spells with a somatic component?
>>
Have a low-level build I'm working on, bear with me;

Half-Elf Warlock 2/Paladin 3

Attributes
Str 16, Cha 16

Class Features of Note
Patron of the Undying Light
Pact of the Blade
Path of Devotion
Great Weapon Fighting style

Feats
Great Weapon Mastery

Cantrips and Spells
Green-Flame Blade
Searing Smite

If I'm doing this right, with Searing Smite active I should be doing; 2d6+ 1d8 +3 (str) +6 (Cha x2) +10 (GWM) and then another 1d6 +3 (Cha) to the Searing Smite damage. Then I use Smite and burn a 1st level spell for Smite adding another 2d8 damage, for a total of 2d8+3d8+19 damage.

Am I doing this correctly?
>>
>>44651362

>3d6+3d8+21

fixed
>>
>>44651195
Im not sure if i have the mental capacity for that, looking at other peoples blueprints. would be amazing for a long dungeon crawl

>>44651316
Just a from one page dungeon comp, It rotates well, but i find it sort of forces players into the right side a bit
>>
File: The Darastrixhurthi Massacre.jpg (624 KB, 910x1456) Image search: [Google]
The Darastrixhurthi Massacre.jpg
624 KB, 910x1456
>>44651148

Never 5get

Garl Glittergold worst god.
>>
>>44651132

1) Do not play Dragonborn, it is special snowflake bullshit.

2) switch Dex and Strentgh

3) Your AC will improve

4) You need to come up with stuff like throwing sand that isn't covered in the rules.
>>
>>44651255
Is it worth holding off for sneak attack and such till then?

Also what grants cunning action again?

I don't have the books so I can't recall the breakdown of who gets what at each level.
>>
>>44646089
If this poster is still around, I did make a homebrew druid subclass based on the 4E shaman if you're interested. It's been through a lot of revisions to try and bring the power level down to something reasonable.
>>
>>44651362

Ahh it seems that powergaming has already reached D&D 5e. I wonder if there will ever be an edition that isn't overrun by players trying to "win" at an unwinnable game.

Seriously though, what are your other ability scores.
>>
>>44651337

If you're using material components instead of a focus, then you can double up. But that doesn't roll both requirements into one.

>a cleric with mace and shield can't cast spells with a somatic component

Correct, per RAW. But it may be less of a problem than you think. Just stow your weapon before you cast. You just won't be able to make an opportunity attack until you draw it again. If that bothers you, or your spells rely heavily on making attacks with weapons, take War Caster.
>>
>>44651362
>>44651386
Doing what correctly?

Being a cheesemonger, yes.
>>
>>44651458
I know it is. But I've already made the character. I'm mostly looking at maximizing combat strategy, either through surprise if I can avoid a head to head encounter, or pocket sand like you mentioned.
>>
>>44651483
>>44651504

16/10/13/8/12/16, using the basic array.

But feel free to keep acting butthurt people are playing the game with informed decision making instead of whatever tummyfeel shit you think it should be.
>>
>>44651471

Rogue grants cunning action, but I forget exactly when.

Two attacks doubles your output at worst, for the opportunity cost of 1d6 sneak attack die. You can only sneak attack once per turn, but if you miss your first attack, you can hit with the second.
>>
>>44651438
Fuck that, we need settings where Kurtulmak chose to come back and rebuild the mine. Kobolds are one of the main races of the setting, productive and crafty, while gnomes live in the woods, shitting in holes and wiping their asses with tree bark.
>>
>>44651532
awww, he thinks he's a badass, taking all big.
>>
Wizards released a ton of the art and maps for OotA free on Facebook. That means they're compressed-to-hell JPEGs but it's better than nothing for those interested.

Gotta link to the Twitter post because it thinks Facebook is spam. https://twitter.com/gregbilsland/status/685587759147298816
>>
>>44651682

Don't you have basketweaving to be doing, faggot? Sure must be fun having intentionally gimped characters to prove you're such a hardcore ROLEplayer.
>>
>>44651532
>But feel free to keep acting butthurt people are playing the game with informed decision making instead of whatever tummyfeel shit you think it should be.

Nah, it's just funny that no matter how hard WotC tries to balance the game, there are still broke-ass combos.

You are doing nothing wrong, anon.
>>
>>44651817
Well, Undying Light patron is kinda proof of all those people who were just saying UA is okay to allow at your table is, in fact, not okay. Vet that shit, the Undying Light level 1 feature is busted as all hell.
>>
>>44651337
>>44651500
There was a Sage Advice on this, you can do somatic components with same hand your are using to hold your components or focus for both arcane and divine spells.

>Another example: a cleric’s holy symbol is emblazoned on her shield. She likes to wade into melee combat with a mace in one hand and a shield in the other. She uses the holy symbol as her spellcasting focus, so she needs to have the shield in hand when she casts a cleric spell that has a material component. If the spell, such as aid, also has a somatic component, she can perform that component with the shield hand and keep holding the mace in the other.
>>
>>44651564
Is it possible to use opponents as unwilling shields, or reduce their ability to fight back?

Our gm threw a half dozen orks and an urog or something sounding like that at us our first game. Followed by elementals, and the least helpful npcs in history.

I was one roll away from death after the orks+bigger ork. Mostly I couldn't even got them.
>>
So I'm a little confused on how Paladin smite spells work. Their duration is concentration up to a minute, but the spells reads that the effects happen on the next melee attack.

Does that mean once you make your melee attack the spell activates and then ends? Meaning you'd have to recast it in order to empower another melee attack?
>>
>>44651895
Hit*
Not got, fucking auto correct.
>>
>>44651879
Resistance to radiant energy and adding Cha to radiant and fire cantrips is busted?
>>
So do you think there are any chance of seeing a video game with D&D 5e system?
>>
>>44650396

I'm pissed off that Mega does not have a report function.
>>
>>44651900
Basically, yes. They're concentration so you don't whiff if you miss at first, but the only affect the first hit. Some also have an ongoing effect that lasts after the first hit (like setting them on fire or something).
>>
>>44651957
different anon;

The +Cha damage applies to any fire or radiant damage spell. You also get 2 more cantrips for free, which is nice. I don't see how it's "busted as all hell" though. The evocation wizard's +Int to evocation spells doesn't happen until level 10 though, so that might have something to do with it.
>>
File: map-a-week.jpg (135 KB, 913x624) Image search: [Google]
map-a-week.jpg
135 KB, 913x624
>>44651738
You mean I don't have to pay for decent resolution maps and artwork from books I already own?

How nice of them.
>>
>>44651738
I really don't get why they scale their maps the way they do. Their own rules abide by 1 square = 5feet, but they insist on creating maps as 1 square = 10 feet.
>>
>>44651957
At level 1, yes. If it was level 6, not so much.
>>
>>44652027
And the sorcerer "add charisma to damage rolls" feature is level 6.

The main problem is that warlock is already regarded as a strong 2-to-3-level dip for any Charisma-based class. Undying Light just makes it stupid good if you can deal fire or radiant damage with spells.

Especially for sorcerers, who can stack it twice.
>>
>>44651957
It's spells in general, and it's only "busted" because of dipping in it to buff fire dragon sorcerer. Even then it's only at best 10 more damage per target turn unless you go full autism rule lawyer and ignore the errata that already exists for similar class features like Elemental Affinity and Empowered Evocation.

And that's with spending sorcery points for quickened spell, if you're not it's only worth at best 5 damage.
>>
>>44652416
It's "busted" in the sense that it's way out of line compared to what you can get from dipping 1 level in, say, any other class in the game. And it was given to warlocks, which as mentioned here >>44652411 are already good for dipping. Errata or no.
>>
>>44652107

>Find maps for old Module I want to run on that archive
>The resolutions on all of them are absolutely fucking pathetic

T-thanks Wizards.
>>
>>44652486
>Good for Dipping
You say that like it's an excuse.
>>
>>44652553
An excuse for what? I'm not following you here anon.
>>
>>44652600
An excuse for giving a feature that is, among other classes, typically available at level 5 or higher. Namely, that it's OK because it makes the class more appealing for multiclassing.

As you've already said, the Warlock is already one of the most popular classes for dipping due to early utility and Eldritch Blast being fuckawesome. The L1 Undying Light feature blows it up across the board, especially if you're running Paladin or DragSorc, and moreso if the cantrips in the SCAG are permitted.

The Undying Light Patron is neither the only broken nor the most broken thing to have come out of the UA cycle, but it's still about as well-thought-out as everything else to have escaped that hole.
>>
>>44652778
I don't know if you missed it but my post wasn't trying to justify the feature, quite the opposite in fact. I think it was rather poorly thought out and I don't permit it in my games.
>>
>>44652851
Sorry, boss; Thought you were ToughTalk McGee up there.
>>
>>44651458
What the fuck is wrong with dragonborn?
>>
Considering a TWF Invocation for Bladelocks. Current guidelines:
> Requires Warlock 5/PoB
> When you use your Action to summon your Pact Weapon, you may instead summon 2 Pact Weapons. They cannot have the Heavy quality.
> When you engage in Two-Weapon Fighting when using both Pact Weapons, you may add your Ability Modifier to the Second Attack.

There's a kid in one of my public groups who wants to do the animu thing, but he's a nice guy and TWF isn't great in this edition anyway. Still, I didn't want him to be able to pull 2 halberds out of his ass and effectively dual-wield them.
>>
>>44653385
A number of possibilities:
- Anon is still riding the 4e hate train.
- Anon was diddled by a scalie.
- Anon accidentally stepped on his pet anole when he was 6, and Never Again.
- The official fluff for Dborn in a number of settings is sort of lame.
- The old official fluff for Dborn was super, super icky.
- General impotent online shittiness.

Just play Daggronbrawn. Enjoy your game.
>>
>>44652515
Some are 300 dpi which is nice, but then you find a cool one and it's only 72 dpi I HATE YOU WIZARDS.
>>
>>44653611

>The old official fluff for Dborn was super, super icky.

Which old fluff?

The "Become an egg and be rebirthed as a scalie, also you can only do it if you're Lawful Good and worship a specific god" fluff?

Because frankly, despite the obvious scalie-bait aspect, that fluff is still the only semi-interesting fluff they've ever had.
>>
>>44653740
This, I loved the body horror Dragonborn.
>>
>>44651014
Hobgoblins + Wolves
Wolves get advantage on attacks when an ally is within 5 ft. of the target. When a wolf hits with an attack they have a chance to knock the target prone, which gives the Hobgoblins advantage on their attack rolls. Hobgoblins deal extra damage when an ally is within 5 ft. of the target.
>>
>>44653740
>>44653861
I was providing reasons someone might be hostile to Dragonborn. I also said the new fluff is boring.

We're all good, guys.
>>
>>44653540
> Can't be Heavy.
This is sort of a silly restriction: They wouldn't be able to TWF with Heavy Weapons anyway, and if they take the Feat then they don't really need this Invocation to begin with.

I'd probably err safe and make the restriction that both weapons must have the "Light" quality.

I do think it's good that you've restricted it to their Pact Weapons, but this does not appear to take into account the possibility of a Magic or Artifact pact weapon. Does this invocation let you attune with 2 magic pact weapons? Does this invocation not allow you to summon that weapon anymore?

I don't know if it was you, but there was a discussion in the last thread regarding an invocation that confers the Barbarian's Retaliation ability. Consider reviewing that for some pointers/things to think about.

Also:
> kid
> public group
> nice guy
Is he a unicorn?
>>
File: 1448311069524.jpg (164 KB, 426x306) Image search: [Google]
1448311069524.jpg
164 KB, 426x306
This isn't 5e specific, but there's not a thread for it and I don't think it warrants its own.

I'm trying to worldbuild, because I'm going to be DMing an original setting for the first time in the near future. (First time in a setting of my own creation, not first time DMing).

I've got a page of notes, but I'm stuck on trying to draw a map. I'm cripplingly unartistic, to the point that even the map-making applications require too much artistic eye to make anything that looks good. I don't want to just randomly generate something because I have specific terrain features in mind, but I don't have the art skills to translate them into anything.

Any input?
>>
>>44654669
There have been worldbuilding threads before. There have been map threads before. It's ok to create threads for these things.

/tg/ cannot help you be artistic. There does not exist a free program that will generate a map for you within a set of meticulously-dictated parameters.

> Any input?
No.
>>
>>44653740

ARKHOSIA WILL RISE AGAIN!
>Ignore Bael Turathi posters
>Report Tiefling posting
>>
>>44654669
Just make a hexagon map and fill it with colors. Trust me on this. I spent years meticulously crafting combat maps using various mapping programs and I think they ended up looking pretty good, but recently my players told me it'd be fine if I just used basic lines and colors if it helped the maps get done quicker.
>>
>>44654669
Looking at the real world map, you can see all sorts of landmasses that are "bizarre" but obviously within the realm of reality.
When making a landmass, "anything goes". Almost. A couple things to keep in mind and adhere to.
Squiggly, jagged lines along the coast where it's dirt and rock. Mostly smooth on sandy shores.
Rivers start at the highest points in the land and the lot of small ones will try to converge into one big river on the way out.
The presence of mountains play a big part in the bountifulness of the land.

When it comes to practicality for the players, just make a hex map.
When it comes to "cartography", don't overdo it, just lay out where things are and outline the general shape of things.

Here's some shitty mspaint thing I just threw together to visualize it.
>>
>>44651738
But you can find all the OotA maps in the mega

Better quality and for free
>>
>>44656201
Why do you hate Mike Schley?

He'll have to resort to drawing trail guide maps again thanks to your piracy.
>>
I might as well throw the whole system out if I want a different magic system, huh?
>>
>>44656508
Depends on what you mean by different magic system.
>>
Any tips on converting older D&D material into 5e?

I need my vampiric manta-ray cults.
>>
>>44656491
I alreaedy bought the book numb nuts
>>44656614
OotA actually has vampire manta rays
>>
>>44656508
Or head to page 288 in the DMG.

Why do you dislike this magic system, out of interest? Too Vancian, or not Vancian enough?
>>
>>44656669
>OotA actually has vampire manta rays
Seriously?!

Fucking awesome. I'll have to take a look.

My original question still stands though.
>>
>>44656614
For most stuff, rebuild it from the ground up. Focus on transferring fluff, not exact mechanics.
>>
>>44656703
I don't really understand the question. Just use the story and 5e rules
>>
>>44656669
>I alreaedy bought the book numb nuts

If you buy a movie DVD, does that mean you should get the soundtrack album for free?

The answer is yes, but I like Mike Schley's work. Guy needs to sell generic map packs or something.
>>
File: DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
DnD_Conversions_1.0.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44656614
Wizards published this recently.

Although I can distil it down into:

Build it using the 5E rules or just use common sense.
>>
Man, it is literally almost impossible to die in 5e. Unless you roll a 1 on a death save and even then it's still very easy to survive.
>>
>>44656728
If you agree with me then why did you post
>>44656776
Nah DMs have to go out of their way not to murder people.

Its kind of unspoken that almost all of the time if a PC drops to 0 then the monsters will target someone else instead of critting them into next Tuesday
>>
So I'm relatively new to 5E and I want to play an illusionist style phantom thief. What would be the best build for that?
>>
>>44656776
I thought this but then you think of certain monsters and it's super easy to get killed.

A thug isn't going to waste his time on an unconscious, bleeding-out foe when there are other enemies around, but an ogre might club a dying adventurer until he dies to death.

Point is, that's an attack roll with advantage, a hit is an automatic critical hit, and that's two death saving throw failures.
>>
>>44656678
>>44656540
The magic system works fine for DnD, I'm just not sure if I could adapt it well to do what I want. I'm making a setting for a West Marches style campaign, but I'm trying to be a bit more swords & sorcery. Inspiration was Blue Mages from Final Fantasy and a post on /tg/ about a magic system where you'd learn your spells from disguised fairies and shit, with the example given being along the lines of "you saved a moth from a candle flame, so she told you the secret to producing fire in your palm" or something.

I suppose I COULD limit the spells a caster can learn in chargen/levelling and give them access to the rest through gameplay after fulfilling the specific requirements (intentionally or otherwise), but I'm not sure how well that would play out.
>>
>>44656893
Arcane Trickster basically fits that to a T.
>>
>>44656928
>Arcane Trickster
Tell me more! I haven't heard of that.
>>
>>44656879
>If you agree with me then why did you post

To shill for an artist I like.

And to suggest to Wizards marketing shills (hopefully) lurking this thread that there really needs to be a "you buy the book, you get digital downloads" model, like with other RPGs. Maybe the PDFs, like Bits & Mortar. Wizards used to release the maps and art for free on their website, I don't know why they stopped.

It's nice to know that the money goes directly to the artist though. I've bought a few maps before, even posted a couple in these threads.
>>
>>44656942
different anon;

It's an archetype of the Rogue class. The links to download the rulebooks are in the OP, you should definitely check them out if you're interested.
>>
>>44656977
I'm looking through it. There's already a rogue in the game but he's building to assassin. I don't know, man.

>tfw wanted to play a barbarian
>already taken
>bard
>already taken
>>
>>44656901
Well for wizards at least, you could do away with the automatic new spells, and make it so they have to learn them like this?

I think I'd prefer this as a player, really. Wizards have enough known spells and you prepare a subset of those anyway, so coming across an intelligent glowworm who can teach Light would be cooler than, "You hit level 4, choose a new cantrip."
>>
>>44657010
You can have 2 of the same class you know.
>>
>>44657043
It'd probably be fun for a few sessions, and then you'd just get frustrated you can't cast the spells you want. At least that's what I'd assume having played with players who think they know what they want but end up being bored after one or two sessions of getting it.

>>44656901
Sounds like you just want something very low-magic.
>>
>>44657010
Trickster would be significantly different from an Assassin. His available spellcasting selection would give him lots of utility in many scenarios. A behind the scenes manipulator and magical infiltrator.

Meanwhile the Barb would be the muscle, Bard would be the faceman and the Assassin would be the in-plain-sight infiltrator.

You'd have a regular A-Team.
>>
>>44657108
There's also a cleric. But we're only third level so I'm wary of doubling up.

How's Ranger stack up? Are they shitty?
>>
>>44657092
Yeah, more or less. I wasn't planning on making it super restrictive on what they could learn, because as you said, people get frustrated when they don't have the tools they want. I did want to use this as a way that non-casters could very rarely learn lightweight spells like Light. I'm thinking maybe the full casters can study the spells they have to learn related/better spells, and perhaps also have the ability to better notice opportunities to learn new spells. Part of the idea was also giving them the ability to learn spells from fallen enemies, related either directly to the spells the enemies used, or in some way similar to the natural abilities of the creature.
>>
>>44657158
Yup
>>
Hey /5eg/, twig argument DM again with another question.

So I'm semi-railroading my players, but I don't want to. I'm having trouble getting them to investigate shit and make their own decisions sometimes, and they can't remember anything about the story so I have to prompt them every five minutes on all the shit they've learned so far. I'm running LMoP, so there's a decent amount of story to remember. I have publicly-available notes filled with what they've done and what they've learned so far, but I don't know how many of them (if any) have read it. Yes, they do know the notes exist. They were told about them several times, and they're right below their character sheets. But we're still in "DM infodumps the story" mode instead of "adventure ho!" mode.

This has resulted in me telling them what their motivations are (you're doing a job for this dwarf to bring these supplies to this shop in this town, so now that you've cleared out the dungeon what do you do?) instead of letting them have fun and tell their own story. It doesn't help that I've been shitty about explaining things and had to fill in some important gaps between sessions.

Maybe this is an issue that time and experience can solve, but maybe I'm just doing everything wrong. I don't know. I probably care about this aspect a lot more than they do. Help a new DM out, guys. What should I do differently?
>>
>>44656901
I think that would work fine. From a mechanics point of view you would likely want to engineer the encounters when the player would normally get new spells (say a change in level) or otherwise need them. But from a play point of view, does it really matter if it is a magic bird that teaches you the spell or you find it in an old scroll in some mages tower? As long as they come when needed, I don't see an impact here. Purely fluff.
>>
>>44656039
Winds should be called westerly in your example.
>>
>>44657429
Try setting up choices. Put two jobs in front of the, then hint at two future jobs. Make them choose. Baby steps. After they do one of the two jobs first mentioned they can maybe see the second two jobs (and the one they didn't take may be an option, or have a consequence for not doing it).

That is what I'm doing right now. I have one adventure that is going to come up and smack them (mostly because they didn't follow up on a past adventure). I have two main adventures that they are going to be choosing between going on next. And I have a future adventure that is going to be foreshadowed next session.

At any time they are fully free to go off the rails - please do. But that isn't the case so far.
>>
>>44657494
I do want it to be mechanical, but I understand what you're getting it. Maybe if I guarantee spellcasters X number/selection of spells when they would normally be getting it, and the rest are found through play?

Of course, I am going to be sure to inform the players that spellcasters will be different, if not a little gimped. This isn't something I plan on just jumping on them after they've built their character assuming the rules would be the same.
>>
>>44657619
Thanks, I'll try that. They're in town now, so after they meet up with a new party member (the fighter's girlfriend is joining us) I'll point out some points of interest via the NPC companion.

I'm reminded of those old text games. "Go north. You see two people arguing over a fork in the road; one looks like he's about to cry, the other looks lost. A dog collar rests on an old grave nearby. Wat do?"
>>
File: woooooooooooah.gif (774 KB, 276x220) Image search: [Google]
woooooooooooah.gif
774 KB, 276x220
>>44657429
>I don't want to railroad
>I'm running a module
>literally the baby module for idiot babies who think 5e is good and original
>>
>>44650396
Does anyone know if there is an editable version of the Alternate 2 character sheet?
>>
>>44657158
Not so good. Ranger is like a meh combination of Fighter and Druid when it comes to combat and most common events.
If he's not in his element and fighting his Favored Enemies, he is relatively weakened in combat.
Could make for an effective scout and navigator.
His magic selection has a nice bit of utility... assuming you need to talk to animals or navigate some place in the wilderness. But hey, Goodberry.
Hunter is like a lesser Battlemaster, his moves are more for hitting multiple enemies versus a Fighter overwhelming a single target.
Beast Master's animal companion could have a lot of uses and makes for a formidable ally.

I'd personally go with either the Fighter or Druid.
Eldritch Knight to still sort of fit into your illusionist style with their Evocation/Abjuration spell list to perform some tricks.

Druid with the ability to be a whole bunch of animals for combat / sneaking / natural benefits and being inconspicuous.
Land Druid to be a Geomancer-type dude, some of his circles are very illusion-y.
Moon Druid to transform into much more buff and powerful creatures, further options for deception and trickery.
>>
>>44657965
It's my first time playing any type of tabletop roleplaying game, and I'm DMing. What more do you expect?

Yes i know how stupid that is.
>>
>>44658027
if your players don't understand that in a module they're supposed to catch the plot hooks and agree to follow them in a module, then you should probably tell them as such, clearly, in small words. ideally you would have done this before you started, but now is good.

the pointless story density and wankery of phandelver is just showing that mearls and co. are really bad at their jobs.
>>
So how do you effectively role play a high wisdom character, besides just quoting koans or saying wise phrases.

Particularly I'm having trouble figuring out what a high wisdom villainous person might act like? When I picture high wis characters I imagine community leaders or spiritual gurus and similar shit, not exactly villains. I'm playing a cleric soon from a semi-villianous noble family and I don't really plan on him being a good guy (certainly not puppy stomping evil but not really nice at all)
>>
>>44657429

Sounds like you've got dummies for players. Instead of changing your players to fit the campaign, have you considered changing the game to fit the players? Don't worry about story and investigations, just run a dungeon crawl with more lens flare and explosions. Gnoll raiders invade the town. Roll for initiative.
>>
>>44658023
I went half elf moon druid.

Criminal background.

Did I fuck up?
>>
>>44658084
They are following the hooks, but ideally I'd like to let it happen in a more natural way, if that makes sense.

It sounds like I have unrealistic expectations here. Again.

>>44658163
I'll give it a try. It can't be more of a clusterfuck than it already is.
>>
>>44658133

Wisdom can also be played as 'street smarts' or just generally having a deep intuition of the real world extant below the ideal. A high wisdom character gets the scams that happen with used cars, for instance, and a villain might be wise enough to exploit it. He may not be the best at crunching the numbers, but that's what the accountants for.

In terms of religious characters, I'd put it more to the less-shit Dark side traditions from Star Wars. A lot of self-improvement, self-assertion, and will over life, though it can descend to darker things. Maybe that character has such a philosophy in mind, and is a villain precisely motivated by those things as opposed to a harmonious order.
>>
>>44658133
Well, an intelligent person knows how things work, a knowledge of systems and analytics. An intelligent villain would manipulate systems to his benefit. A powerful wizard. A sly but deceptive advisor to the king.

A wise person knows how people work, a knowledge of history and behavior. A wise villain can manipulate individuals to his benefit. A scam artist. A cult leader. Though those kinds of things could also fall into the foil of a charismatic person, the wise person can present himself and his arguments with an air of reason to make people buy what he's selling on a "spiritual" level.

>>44658214
More like you made a badass.
A half elf moon Druid, outcast to his human and elf patrons as well as the bustle of the inner cities, transforms into various creatures to survive in the hostile wilderness and the criminal element, living with one foot in the slums, the other in the woods.
Slipping into secure areas as a small creature like a rat to get what he needs undetected.
Scouting out places he's going to heist from high above as a hawk.
Transforming into multiple animals like a wolf and panther to put the hurt on some rivals and attack his marks so nobody knows nor can pin down his identity.
Bored of his petty thug life, he tries out adventuring beyond the shithole he's dwelled in during his youth.
>>
>>44658542
The idea I went with was a half-elf druid born of a unwedded union of an elven noble and a lowly human guard. After the untimely loss of his parents he drifted from place to place, conning people out of money and stealing from the rich to give to the needy. His goal is to become rich and famous to spite all those who called him a bastard.

He's also got a pretty hefty scores all around because of good rolls, though 9 int because he's not very well read.
>>
>>44658620
That's kinda too bad, because good stat rolls are largely wasted on a moon druid.
>>
>>44658836
Wait, do you take on the stats of your changed form?
>>
>>44658876
Physical stats, yes.
>>
>>44658876
Does a druid in bear form shit in the woods?
>>
>>44658921
I dunno? Man I'm clueless. Oh well, least my guy is viable when he's wild shaped out.

I hear Moon Druids are pretty badass?
>>
>>44658985
Moon druids are a little overrated but they do have their high points. At level 2, right when you can shift into things like a dire wolf or brown bear, that's a high point, then you get Barkskin at level 3 to have respectable AC in those forms. Problem is you're then stuck with CR1 creatures until level 6, and they're starting to look a little shaky, and your CR2 options don't tend to be as impressive as an actual level 6 melee character.

With that said, you are very tanky due to your HP resetting with every wild shape use), not reliant on ability scores (so take feats if your game allows them), and still a full caster besides.
>>
>>44658876
Page 67
>Physical statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast
>Keep your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores.
>Retain your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature.
>If the creature has the same proficiency as you and their stat bonus is higher than yours, use the creature's bonus instead.

>>44658985
>Normal Wild Shape lets you pick beasts with a CR of up to CR1 at 8th Level
>Moon Druid Wild Shape lets you transform into beasts with a CR1 at 2nd Level and up to CR6 by 20th level.
>Can transform into Elementals at Level 10
>Infinite Casts of Alter Self at 14th level and infinite Wild Shape at 20th level
>Transforming effectively resets your health, letting you soak up a lot of damage
Instead of being stuck with rats and dogs and birds, you can eventually become almost anything. Since you'll be working with the physical stats and traits of many creatures, you can dump all of your points into Wisdom and take Feats instead of Ability Score Improvements.
>>
>>44659264

Variant Human, grab Sentinel as your feat and then pound the dirt out of anyone as the party tank or secondary tank. When when Wildshape wears off, go back to casting, mid-battle clutch healing or post-battle healing.
>>
just DM'd my first campaign, my only experience beforehand was playing two online campaigns as a player in 4E.

had a blast, was super fun, had five players. I didn't expect to actually play but they finished making their characters after 3~ hours so I just grabbed the D&D starter set module and started running it, they had immense fun as new time players.
Have a wild magic sorcerer, a ranger, a paladin, a bard, and a cleric.. (Bahamut and Pelor for the paladin and cleric).

They're at the goblin cave and I'm probably just going to let them transfer characters once the module is over, they did an elaborate plan to get goblins into the water for the use of shocking grasp. Any tips for first time DM guiding new players? I plan on making my own campaign/setting after the module is done.
>>
>>44658163

Or you could just get new players. Or address this and ask them to pay more attention and be engaged with the game. Its unfair to ask the DM to run the game and then not cooperate and uphold your end of it. Downright selfish and disrespectful, I'd say.
>>
>>44659421

Elementals aren't beasts, though. Triceratops, on the other hand...
>>
>>44659678
first session* oop
>>
>>44659976
Wild shape gives you the ability to turn into elementals eventually
>>
What would be the best class to play as a classic Knight in Shining Armor type character.
Starting level two if that makes any sort of difference.
I'd assume fighter. If so, what archetype?
>>
>>44660180
Battlemaster Fighter or a Paladin of some sort.
>>
>>44650396
>What are some monsters from video games and other non-D&D stuff you'd like to use (or already have used) in your 5e games, /5eg/?
We had this giant fat monster who always griped at the size of the tomes we were carrying. He was always saying we should "compress" them, and that they were too big. He was a slovenly monster who should go out and get a life.
>>
>>44660180
Oath of Devotion or Oath of the Crown paladin.

If you're not big on divine magic or want something a bit more mundane, go fighter with heavy armor + shield and longsword. Pretty much any archetype will work, honestly, with Battle Master being the strongest.
>>
>>44660180
The best knight is shining armor would be a Paladian of devotion or Paladian of the crown. BM fighter would work too but fighters to me have always seemed more like well trained soldiers or mercenaries. Paladian have the virtuous and gallant thing pat down well with the high cha for social interaction and such.
>>
>>44660180
Oath of Devotion Duelist Paladin
>>
Speaking of Paladians, I'm thinking of making an oath of the crown Paladian. Are they any good? They look solid from what I read but I would like a second opinion.
>>
>>44660595
My opinion is that Oath of the Crown is one of the weaker Oaths, if not the weakest. With that said, the base paladin class is so strong you really can't go wrong. You do have some advantages that you can play to, with healing as a bonus action, and Spirit Guardians at level 9 shores up the typical paladin's weakness against hordes of weaker foes.
>>
>>44660595
Like all the paladin options available, it's very solid. It's really hard to go wrong as a paladin in 5e. If not for the bard's unmatched versatility, it's easily the strongest class in the game, and none of its options, core or otherwise, are at all weak.
>>
>>44660632
>>44660663
Ok then thanks for the feedback. I'm making a Paladian for an upcoming HotDQ campaign and I would like to make my Paladians personality match his oath tenants.
>>
>>44650439
how?

Just names of abilities should suffice for explination.
>>
I want to make a half-elf Harper wizard with the following stats:

Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14 (27 point buy)
Arcana+5, Deception+4, History+5, Investigation+5, Perception+3, Persuasion+4

What would be a fun backstory? Nothing too complex. I was thinking of maybe, their parents (sun elf and human) died in a drow attack on Semberholme when they were a child, and the character learned how to survive on their own and eventually joined the Harpers.

Maybe an arcane trickster would be better for a Harper agent?
>>
Thinking about doing Eld Knight Rogue multi class. Any pointers, tips, warnings?
>>
>>44661283
Don't do it.
>>
>>44661283
Why, exactly? Just go AT rogue.
>>
File: Tyrants-of-the-Underdark-101.jpg (221 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
Tyrants-of-the-Underdark-101.jpg
221 KB, 615x410
This is probably a retarded question with the obvious answer being "Jews of the Coast," but,

Why the actual fuck is WotC funding ANOTHER boardgame from their jewy partner instead of oh, I don't know, funding another module or campaign setting from some other third party?.. At least they could commission Gay Force Nine to make more peripherals for their tabletop game, like the spell cards, instead of this completely separate knock-off. This is all without mentioning it is going to cost 80$ USD retail, not that the cards are cheap at all (seriously, it is like 20 or more dollars the cleric domain spell cards..)

It feels like they are killing this edition by being too afraid to produce ANY material for it. what was bad in the previous editions was the amount of extra features they brought in with all the splay books. what they don't realize is, making god-damn modules, and campaign settings can do nothing but good for the edition.

The game doesn't need more bells and whistles. The company needs to be producing CONTENT. Sorry for the rant.
>>
>>44661350
There's supposed to be an announcement of the next 5e book soon.

(It's going to be an FR adventure centered around giants, probably taking place around the Spine of the World/Icewind Dale.)
>>
>>44661350
>killing the game
Apparently this staggered release schedule has been working well for them as of their last financial statement.
>>
File: 3.pf btfo.png (274 KB, 1080x1579) Image search: [Google]
3.pf btfo.png
274 KB, 1080x1579
>5e continues to increase in popularity on Roll20
Games are Roll20 games labeled as playing the given system from the sample size (probably of active Roll20 games), players are of player profiles listed as being interested in playing or actively playing the given system of the sample size (probably active Roll20 users).
>>
>>44661422
I will not doubt that the material that Wizards do release has been of an extremely good quality (save for the very first release of PHBs and Monster Manuals.) As a business they probably should be doing well, but I can't see it hurting them in any way to have a few chosen third-parties actually be able to use canon settings to release modules.
>>
>>44661484

How long to games continue to count for this list?

I don't think any game I've ever been a part of has been deleted.
>>
>>44661542
No idea. I just assume they have a cutoff date for activity to be included in the sample (last game played, maybe), otherwise there'd be little point in posting those at all.
>>
>>44661484

How do you do the FFG Star Wars games on Roll20?
Does everyone just use a conversion chart?
>>
How would this work? Is it OP, UP, or confusing?

Druid subclass: Circle of Spirits

Druids of the Circle of Spirits are concerned with communion and guidance granted by the spirits of the natural world. Because of their comity with these beings, they are able to command lesser spirits to assist them in their goals.

Spirit Summons

Starting at 2nd level, you gain the ability to expend a use of Wild Shape to summon a spirit , instead of transforming yourself.
This spirit takes the form of a beast, and has the same restrictions to CR and properties as you would using Wild Shape normally.
The spirit has no hitpoints, and is unaffected by spells that do not directly target it, such as Fireball. If it would take damage,
the spirit makes a Con saving throw, with a DC equal to the damage taken. If it fails, the spirit discorporates, unless the
druid uses its reaction to take the damage instead. The spirit has its own initiative, and takes its own actions, although it
follows any orders the druid gives it. The druid can discorporate the spirit as a bonus action, but otherwise it lasts as long as
summoned. The druid can only have one spirit active at a time.

Spirit Attunement

Starting at 6th level, you gain an attunement with the summoned spirit. Whenever a spell affects one of you, you can choose to
have it effect all of you.

Spirit Awakening

Starting at 10th level, you gain the ability to summon more aware spirits. Any spirit you summon has an Intelligence of 10 and can
speak Druidic. In addition, the spirit knows and can cast one of the following cantrips: blade ward, guidance, spare the dying, or
true strike. You choose which cantrip the spirit can cast when summoned.

Spirit Twinning

Starting at 14th level, you can have two spirits active at the same time.
Let me know if I've overlooked something regarding how it should work.
>>
>>44661636
it stinks
>>
>>44661636

I hate it
>>
Planning out a human Wild Sorcerer. I already have an idea of what the character's backstory will be.

The Maiden of Madrelli Vale. A village girl exiled, chased out, unsuccessfully burned at the stake or otherwise made to feel unwelcome at home because of her sorcery, and who until a bit before the campaign starts was living in a nearby forest in seclusion, becoming the subject of local rumors as a bit of an ill omen to happen across, as a sort of cryptid.

I've been thinking over what background to go with. The obvious choice is either Outlander or Hermit, but when you think about it, Folk Hero somewhat applies, as could Urchin.
>>
>>44661782
Are you a female irl? If not, why are you playing a female character? Are you some kind of degenerate? Just play a male. Don't be "that guy".
>>
>>44661782
I would say urchin or hermit, depending on if your character is a begger living in the shadows of a big city or an exile living in a forest near a small town. Either one would work perfectly.
>>
>>44661817
I have a friend playing a female cleric who is a pretty chill dude. I could understand how it could become a that guy type of thing (I've met a that girl who played a gay male character back when I played PF) but I would not automatically label it as a negative thing.
>>
>>44661836
It's a strange thing all the time, no matter how good a "rp" player the guy is. There is no reason, aside from some weird repressed sexual thing, for a male to play a female character. Trans people often say that playing a female character during a roleplaying game is their "first step". As a DM I don't allow it. Leave that gay shit at home. You are a closet fag.
>>
File: Wizard.png (361 KB, 522x1236) Image search: [Google]
Wizard.png
361 KB, 522x1236
What would be a good reason for a male high elf to leave Evermeet/wherever to become an adventurer? Is adventuring seen as a quick (but crude) way to rapidly advance your skills?

Maybe they have an older brother or a father who doesn't respect them, they leave Evermeet for five years, come back with new wealth, confidence and skill and usurp the leadership of the family from him?

Maybe like how Heathcliff disappeared a broke faggot and returned several years later a wealthy badass in the novel Wuthering Heights? I can't see many other reasons why a high elf would voluntarily choose to live among the common trash of Faerun...
>>
>>44661873
Makes sense and I can see some merits in that logic, but I don't personally find it awkward and feel that people can rp an opposite gendered character pretty well if they are good enough at it and don't over emphasize the fact that they are playing an opposite gender.
>>
>>44661956
To reclaim some old elven artifact but realizing you need to perfect your skills first before you dare go for the trials that surely await you in the artifacts location?
>>
>Tell players they will be playing as a secret police organization for a corrupt empire
>They should make characters that can handle social and spy work
>End up with two genasi, a minotaur, a tiefling, and a drow
All I ask is one thing. ONE.
>>
>>44661873
>Tfw you occasionally play female characters
Well fuck you too. I usually only play female characters when I make the backstory for a character and them being female fits better than them being male. I don't play them any differently (save maybe sexual orientation) than I would a male character with the same history.

Maybe your group is just full of creeps.
>>
>>44661817
I don't know, I tried to imagine the sort of character I'm picturing as a guy and it just doesn't mesh.
>>
>>44662040
Your not getting it. Just the simple fact that you are drawn to such a character shows that you have some gender issues you need to work out. In a game where you can be anything, ANYTHING, you choose to be a young girl. You don't think that's a problem?
>>
>>44662085
Its not a problem you fucking idio-

Oh you almost got me virt. Nice trolling attempt there faggot. Please respect your ban.
>>
File: be quiet.png (137 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
be quiet.png
137 KB, 540x304
>>44662085
>You don't think that's a problem?
I don't.
>>
>>44662085
Nice armchair psychology there. Guess I should go tell the guy in my group who plays the 400 year old gnome that he obviously has a repressed need to be an old biddy.
>>
>>44662085
Not really, no.

>that you need to work out
Honestly I really don't see the point in caring about one's gender or sexuality or whathaveyou. It really just seems like a tremendous waste of time for transsexuals and transphobes alike.
>>
>>44662085
Your not getting it. Just the simple fact that you are drawn to a Barbarian character shows that you have some anger issues you need to work out. In a game where you can be anything, ANYTHING, you choose to be a angry man. You don't think that's a problem?
>>
Am I an asshole for trying to make my players interact properly with their warlock patrons? Like actually having to make a deal with a patron to gain such power?
>>
>>44662242
Well if they don't think it will make for good RP and you keep forcing the issue then yeah.
>>
File: 2handed.png (7 KB, 236x52) Image search: [Google]
2handed.png
7 KB, 236x52
>>44651102
>Slightly less RAW: Using a two-handed weapon, as long as your GM lets you "let go" since you can CARRY it in one hand

That's not "slightly less RAW" - Dev's confirmed you only wield a 2handed weapon in both hands when attacking with it.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PH_Errata_1.1.pdf

Do you people not read the rules?
>>
>>44662416
nope they don't
>>
File: 257399019.jpg (7 KB, 185x177) Image search: [Google]
257399019.jpg
7 KB, 185x177
Okay so you guys accurately weight your shit or just go by what makes sense?
>>
>>44662998
Eh might measure things out if there is a reason to be precise like "how many of these (valuables) can we carry?" Otherwise we wing it but try to not max it out.
>>
File: 1327846661042.jpg (42 KB, 720x478) Image search: [Google]
1327846661042.jpg
42 KB, 720x478
>GM gives you precon characters
>Mine is Monk
>With weapon master feat: longsword, rapier, scimitar, greatsword
>Me "Does this mean you allow martial arts with these weapons?"
>GM "No, they aren't monk weapons"
>Me "Then why? they're useless for monk then"
>GM "Because I'm not a minmaxer like you"
>Mfw
Never accept an invitation from a friend of a friend without knowing him better
>>
>>44663238

Already a deal breaker.
>>
>>44663268
Unless its a teaching game
>>
>>44663238
That's when you laugh in his face and walk away. Or optionally, detail everything wrong with his viewpoint first.
>>
>>44663238
I'd never accept a dm who would literally force me to play a specific character, especially an intentionally gimped character.
>>
>>44650396
I recreated Not-Attack-On-Titan for my players. They were running along rooftoops to jump onto or attack sluggish giants invading a major city.
>>
>>44661873
Are humans banned from playing Elves? Because that's an interracial sex fantasy.

Nonmagic normies banned from playing wizards? That's a magical rape fantasy.

Poor people banned from playing rich characters? Plebs banned from playing nobles? Tall people banned from playing short people? What about eye color? Bust size? Weight?

If you're not forcing your players to roleplay as themselves in their own day to day lives without any fictional elements you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>44662998
I buy a packmule and a cart and assume he can carry it all.
>>
>>44663238
Please tell me the elf wizard is wearing armor and the dwarf life cleric has a lance or something.
>>
>>44663238
>turn 360 degrees
>walk straight forward
>flip his table
>leave
>never come back

Precons are only acceptable if you're still learning the game.
>>
>>44663906
What about oneshots? I have ready-made characters for oneshots all the time, because there's often not enough time to sensibly sort everything out and play it in its entirety. Chargen takes time, man.
>>
>>44661956
Due to their long lives there is little to no upward mobility, with the elders controlling the wealth and the rest having to cow to their demands or lose societal support.

High Elves with greater ambitions adventure to amass wealth and power. Better to rule in hell han serve in heaven.
>>
>>44664223
I do this, too. LGS runs intro sessions each quarter and I'm a recurring DM at those.

I also run public games through them, so I always have a couple of prefab sheets on-hand in case somebody drops in. Unless somebody really has their heart set on something specific, they're usually very happy with a prefab.
>>
File: 1440101865431.jpg (67 KB, 658x861) Image search: [Google]
1440101865431.jpg
67 KB, 658x861
I wanna play a Bladelock (Old Ones pact) in an upcoming campaign, but I've heard a lot of differing opinions about Bladelocks.

Is Bladelock worth it, or should I just go with the Tome?

I'd appreciate any other tips regarding this, since I'm still pretty new.
>>
>>44664383
Forget bladelock for a moment: what is it you want your character to be able to do?

Pact of the Blade gives you what is, in affect, proficiency with all melee weapons, but not at the same time. In addition, attacks with your summoned weapon will always ignore non-magical resistance/immunity. Beyond the 2 invocations, that will be the fullest extent of your close-combat ability: if you want more magic swordsman goodness, consider Eldritch Knight, Paladin, or (to a lesser extent) Bladesinger.

Bladelock isn't bad, but it's not a martial: is a warlock who's slightly better when an opponent makes it past his Eldritch blasts. I think a lot of the frustration people have with it is that they would have liked full martial progression.
>>
>>44664473
Sorry, forgot the second part:

If the magic sword thing is just an accessory, you'll be very happy with bladelock. If you don't care but still want to be a warlock, tome/shillelock will do you fine.
>>
File: 1451722609575.jpg (427 KB, 1500x2264) Image search: [Google]
1451722609575.jpg
427 KB, 1500x2264
>>44664473
I kind of wanted my character to be a rogueish warlock who does a lot of odd jobs, such as spying and infiltration, but with the whole servitude to an otherwordly force beyond human comprehension. (Something akin to a hunter from Bloodborne I guess)

But I guess Bladelock isn't really that necessary for it, but I just felt like him being a proficient swordsman was fitting.
>>
>>44664560
If you want to mix it up in melee as a tomelock, consider shillelagh
>>
>>44664560
Have you considered a multiclass? You could just go for a rogue/warlock or a dex-fighter/warlock.

What level do you start as in the campaign?
>>
>>44664560
I mean, the spying/infiltration thing is certainly more Rogue than Warlock, but there's no reason you couldn't do it as a Warlock if the class appeals to you more.

The GOO patron just gets you a bunch of spooky mind abilities. If being Loki in the first Avengers film isn't on your list, you don't really need the mechanics, and can just fluff your character as receiving visions from some horrible space monster. Again, though, if you want this, take it.

Ultimately, unless you're into optimization, what matters most is what's most flavorful for you. If that's a sticky bladelock, play a sticky bladelock. Have fun, anon.
>>
>>44664612
>Have you considered a multiclass?
This man is a dog fucker. Do not listen to him.
>>
Hi /5eg/. I want to make a human paladin of Bahamut. Are there any in Faerun? How common? Would such a character stick out too much?
>>
>>44664835
Sounds solid to me. Just be sure to make an interesting and reasonable backstory explaining it.
>>
>>44662416

Wow, maybe read the whole sentence next time instead of stopping once the words you see fit a narrative in your head. You can obviously carry the weapon in one hand to cast a spell - but letting go, casting a spell, then re-arming yourself with the weapon, all in the same turn, is not explicitly covered by the rules. You certainly cannot sheathe your weapon, cast a weapon, then redraw it; that would use your free "interact with object" actions, and require an action to redraw it, but with two-handers, it's less complicated.

Whether you can "drop" the weapon, cast the spell, then re-wield it is not covered explicitly. That's why it's slightly less RAW.

I will say this: completely RAW, you could drop the sword entirely, cast a spell, then pick it up again and wield it. With that in mind, not dropping it from both hands isn't a stretch, and I'd allow it no problem.
>>
>>44664956
Well, that's the problem. I'm not sure if there are any followers of Bahamut among non-dragons and non-dragonborn at all.
>>
>>44664835

Note that Paladins take oaths instead of drawing power directly from a deity. You can still be a worshipper and adherent of Bahamut, of course, but you should fluff your chosen path to fit the tenets of the Platinum Dragon.
>>
>>44665051

Well, evidently there are, because your character is one. You may not have met any others, but there you have it. Perhaps you met a band of Dragonborn - your hometown refused to put them up in the inn, making them camp in their tents. But when the town was put in danger by raiders, the Dragonborn put themselves in danger to help, and saved the town. They even refused a reward.

Their selfless heroics inspired you to emulate them and their patron.
>>
>>44665074
Welp. Anyway, how a human in Faerun could become a worshiper of Bahamut?
>>44665106
Thanks, that's the sort of advice I'm looking for.
>>
>>44665051
Most definitely there are. There are Dragon cultists and Dragon worshipers of many creeds and walks of life. Dragons are very awe inspiring powerful creatures, bound to draw the attention of mortals, so their gods are sure to draw the same attention.
>>
>>44665034
>Wow, maybe read the whole sentence next time instead of stopping once the words you see fit a narrative in your head

I read your whole sentence retard. You were, and continued, to claim that it would need DM fiat to do so, where it has been clearly explained in rules and following errata for all these situations. You also explicitly stated that:

>Completely and utterly RAW, the two ways to deal with this are to use a 1-handed weapon and a free hand, or take the War Caster feat

Which is wrong, as written out in the Errata and PHB.

Explicitly stated that you can cast with your off-hand when wielding a 2hander, and situations with holy symbols/shields were described in the books themselves.

See here:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/536684548021829632

There is no query to be addressed - it's all covered by the action economy and the equipment restrictions.

A sword and board Eldritch Knight still has to follow the rules - but if you're combat casting as a Tank Eldritch Knight, you're doing it wrong.

Now stop being a fucking idiot.
>>
>>44665206

Ok, I admit I was wrong here. But for fuck's sake, lay off the internet tough guy act. The errata only says that you can carry a weapon in one hand, not whether you can perform all kinds of gymnastics with it to get the benefit of casting a spell while never being unarmed. So forgive me for not following the dev's goddamn Twitter account.

Take a deep breath and think about how maybe not everyone keeps up with every single post the devs make. You can correct people without being a tremendous asshole about it. This is /tg/, not /v/
>>
File: rho'thun.jpg (343 KB, 786x1017) Image search: [Google]
rho'thun.jpg
343 KB, 786x1017
I'm about to reach level 3 with my monk. I'm really undecided about which Monastic Tradition to take.

Way of Shadow is out as my Goliath isn't really the ninja type. Also, I'm one of the main damage sources for my party, so I'm feeling some pressure to take Way of the Open hand. Since I am playing a Goliath, my preference would be to take Way of the Four Elements. I know it's not the strongest tradition, but it makes the most sense to me flavor-wise.

My DM is also considering allowing the Way of the Sun Soul from the Sword Coast book. From what I understand, it gives me some decent damage output. It could also work in terms of flavor (sun can be an element... right?)

So... what should I do? Anyone with monk experience got stories/tips to share with a beginner?
>>
>>44664322
nicely put
>>
>>44665335

The problem with 4Elements isn't so much that it's weaker (most of what monks can do is in the base class anyway), but that it's actually a little detrimental to you - it costs lots of Ki, which you really need if you're the main damage source for your party. Plus, several of the abilities you can choose do the same thing as Open Hand, except they cost ki. They might do it at a longer range, but movement is not the monk's problem.
>>
>>44665451
That makes sense. What do you think of Way of the Sun Soul?
>>
>>44665335
>Goliath monk
Who's cock did you suck to get awesome rolls?
>>
>>44665532
27 Point-buy.
>>
>>44663752
Why? wizards and clerics aren't overpowered at first levels.
>>
>>44665551
Literally who are you alive? I played with a subpar race for monk several times and always ended dying due lack of AC, 14 AC is death assured for a monk. The fartherst I reach was avoiding any combat, but then the full martial died because of that and my monk got kicked out of the group.
>>
>>44665560
> not reading the thread
>>
>>44664706
>I mean, the spying/infiltration thing is certainly more Rogue than Warlock, but there's no reason you couldn't do it as a Warlock if the class appeals to you more.
Chainlocks are really really good at this. You scout with your imp/quasit/sprite with their natural invisibility and can report back with your telepathy-so-long-as-they-are-on-the-same-plane-of-existance. They can also inviz off with small objects, and if they are discovered they die and you resummon them later.
>>
>>44665573
Stone's Endurance, mate.
>>
>>44665588
Yes, but WarlockAnon was asking about being a bladelock.
>>
>>44665590
Hello, friend; you seem to have left your tripcode on.
>>
File: BatmanHarly.jpg (15 KB, 375x417) Image search: [Google]
BatmanHarly.jpg
15 KB, 375x417
>>44665602
And I was suggesting Chain if that anon wanted to be a warlock who is also an infiltrator.
>>
>>44665573
GM is babysitting them
>>
File: 1422669085273.jpg (60 KB, 484x516) Image search: [Google]
1422669085273.jpg
60 KB, 484x516
>>44665675
Probably. Why kill us before the story gets going?

>>44665614
Pic related.
>>
>>44665335
Take Open Hand, fluff it as stone fist.
>>
>>44651438
>garl glitter gold is an in setting That Guy.
>>
>>44665335
Have some stones and go long death
>>
>>44665335
You're already subpar, if you take way of the four elements pray everybody in your group is beastmaster tier or else you won't feel very useful
>>
>>44661593
You can use Roll20 so it sockets into Google Hangout, and there's also a FFG Star Wars dice applet for hangout. They coexist pretty well.
Just doing the Hangout roller would probably be better, there's not really much to track on the virtual tabletop.

Alternatively you can make a rollable table in Roll20 where each entry has a unique token. Have a table for each die type and a token for each face, and boom. You've made a custom dice set.
>>
>>44655241
I really, really liked the 4e fallen empire story, especially since it gave one monster race an ancient rivalry with another monster race.
>>
>>44661283

Better off doing a Warlock/Rogue with Blade pact and Green-Flame Blade CANTRIP Via rapier.
>>
>>44661636
A nice start, but what is the spirit? What is it intended to do?
>>
File: BANE.png (1 MB, 858x591) Image search: [Google]
BANE.png
1 MB, 858x591
Alright, so our Paladin is trying to fucking chimp out about the fact that my character venerates the Black Hand.

How do I shut down the haters? She was complaining about receiving His blessing in combat, like it was somehow an unclean thing. It was pretty offensive.
>>
>>44666333
To be fair, an LG Paladin getting a boon from an LE deity should cause some kind of freakout. Tell her if she doesn't want the boon you won't force it on her, and wait for her to miss the boost in power. Use it as a corruption factor and see if you can get her to decide it's worth falling.

It's all in the RP
>>
I'm working on a feat/ki ability for Monks that lets them basically make an Unarmed attack at semi short range, something like 20/40, at the cost of ki points.
How much should it cost, and should the cost scale as you level? I was also considering "more ki spent = more damage dice" at later levels.

And yes, my setting supports it, 2 of my players are basically pic related.
>>
>>44666333

Bane pls go.

Pls.

Just go.
>>
File: youre a big cat.gif (2 MB, 636x314) Image search: [Google]
youre a big cat.gif
2 MB, 636x314
>>44666333
>my character venerates the Black Hand
Tell him that your god is a big guy.
>>
>>44665106
Underated post.
>>
>>44666416
This is already covered by Sun Soul monks, that have a 30 foot at-will attack that deals radiant damage.
>>
>>44666416
What >>44666447 said.

RADIANT SUN BOLT
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can hurl searing bolts of magical radiance. You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action. The attack has a range of 30 feet. You are proficient with it, and you add your Dexterity modifier to its attack and damage rolls. Its damage is radiant, and its damage die is a d4. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of the Monk table. When you use the Attack action on your turn to use this special attack, you can spend 1 ki point to make two additional attacks with it as a bonus action.
>>
>>44666408
>Tell her if she doesn't want the boon you won't force it on her, and wait for her to miss the boost in power. Use it as a corruption factor and see if you can get her to decide it's worth falling.

It was an emergency involving a crazed stone giant, so I blessed the combatants without much prelude or explanation. Afterwards I tried convincing her there was strength in unity, and that our alliance (however temporary) was critical in combating the Chaotic demonic hordes we will undoubtedly face (Some kind of crazy Demogorgon story, I think it's that newest module they released with the Drizzler on the cover.)

I plan to continue plugging the virtues of the Black Hand's brand of Magical Fascism in the near future. Our former soldier Fighter seems pretty amenable, so there is that.
>>
>>44666430
>When the litterbox is ashes, you have my permission to scoop
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.