[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RNG is what makes games fun. Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1452158836691.webm (982 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
1452158836691.webm
982 KB, 711x400
RNG is what makes games fun. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>44626373
Wow...didn't know there was something that made you take damage from food. Well, that's how it goes when you push the envelope.
>>
>>44626373
Is that game any good? I don't trust /v/.
>>
>>44626373
Depends on the aim of the game. But yes, generally a certain amount of RNG makes things fun.

>>44626459
If you go in with the right mindset, yes.
>>
>>44626373
What is RNG?
>>
>>44626508
Random number generation/generator.
>>
>>44626416
He took damage because his affliction stopped him from eating.
>>
>>44626459
Its enjoyable for the first four hours until you realize that the game is relaly hollow mechanically and the 'difficulty' is completely arbitrary rng stuff that doesn't really matter how you play and the 'resource management' part is incredibly weak since there's only one real resource to manage and you end up swimming in it.
>>
>>44626416
Bounty Hunter didn't take damage from food, the Paranoid affliction made him refuse to eat so he starved.
>>
>>44626373
counterexample:
chess
Also there are other examples of good boardgames that have a really limited amount of RNG. The RNG makes them better/ups the replay value, but the would work without the RNG.
>>
>>44626536
This anon is correct. What's there is fun but runs out very very fast.
>>
>>44626373
That depends, are we actually on topic and talking about traditional games? In that case yes, RNG is a major contributor to the fun of games. It makes you think on your feet and keeps you from hijacking the story in TTRPGs, and adds a bit of fairness and realism to things like wargames and card games.

If you're an off-topic shitposter talking about videogames, then 1. Fuck off and 2. RNG is almost always just an artificial difficulty generator used to pad games that either don't actually require any real skill to play or are just out to put you through as much tedious bullshit as they can just to offer you the ability to pay real money to bypass it.
>>
>>44626373
RNG is just a tool. How fun game is depends on its application. As >>44626604 mentioned, there are plenty of fun bgames without RNG.
>>
>>44626373

I've had fun playing games with no randomization, ergo you are wrong.
>>
>>44626604

Counterpoint: chess is not fun.
>>
>>44626556
>>44626534
Wow, that's even funnier.

The worst I usually get from them doing that is the guy just refusing to be healed.
>>
>>44626604

There are also diceless RPGs, like Amber, Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, and Lords of Olympus.
The fun in these is all tactics. You know whether or not you can win any specific encounter going in, so the trick is to get your opponent to waste resources preparing for attacks that don't come, or to maneuver him into a position where he has no way out. It's kind of like chess, in a way.
>>
>>44626808
Ha !
>>
>>44626808
Counter-counterpoint: you have pleb taste.
>>
>>44626808
Chinese Checkers master race.
>>
A certain amount of RNG is ok, especially in games with very little action.

It has no place in a competitive environment, or a skill based game. RNG on drops excluded, Dark Souls is considered by most to be 'fun' and has no RNG involved in any combat or spawn mechanics.

Tabletop games need RNG to hold your attention, due to the very low amount of actual game to be had without RNG.
>>
>>44626373
rng makes games fun the same way roulette is fun. Stupid players roll their dice and go "WOW I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME" and feel good about themselves.

so I guess it's ok.
>>
>>44626373
>Prove me wrong.
The most popular /tg/ games have autistic amount of rules and let the players stack the odds heavily in their favour.
If rng was fun the hobby wouldn't be fun of minmaxing retards or people who look up "builds" for imaginary monsterslaying.
>>
>>44626459
Just play a real roguelike. IVAN is just 1.3mb, free, and it has deeper mechanics (I'm not even exaggerating).
>>
>>44628027
As a min-maxing retard, I do it specifically because I hate being RNG'd so I stack the odds as much as I can.

Also most of my group is shit so if I don't your average boss will wipe us.
>>
>>44628071
where else can you whip zombies to death with a banana peel?
>>
>>44628659
I'm probably not wrong if I say Dead Rising.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.