[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Big Bad Bosses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
Got a question for you, nerd.

Struggling to think of or find a good boss for a
Pathfinder campaign I'm currently writing.

>party are members of a kingdom's special forces of sorts
>party has just been given orders to do recon on a recently discovered temple from a forgotten temple
>2spoopy4me temple was used by an ancient self destructive kingdom that fell into chaos and evil bla bla bla
>temple was specifically used to preform horrific and illegal necromancy, biomancy, psychomancy, etc and would convert enemies of the state or criminals into horrific spawns of evil

So super ancient temple that they gotta get into and scout. Already doing the easiest route for fodder; spoopy skeletons. However, I want something pretty awesome for an actual boss. A leftover experiment or something like that.

Not too familiar with the newer (cooler) Pathfinder bestiaries so if you could also slap a image of what it looks for me ( I use pathfinder art from the codex's in my campaigns ) that would be super sweet senpai.

I'll give an example of what kind of art I'm talking about with a nifty and slightly surprised shark man.
>>
Go with a logical extension of the theme - skeletons. When the party opens the final room, they will expect a boss monster, but there will be none. Instead, the entire chamber is made of animated bones, out of the walls grow skeletal arms wielding weapons, floor is made of skulls that cackle and rattle and bite the adventurers' feet to trip them, and such. In the centre, there is a ribcage on a pedestal. It contains a half-withered, but still beating heart. To destroy the room, you have to pierce the heart. The hard part is reaching it.
>>
File: lich.jpg (227 KB, 1024x1325) Image search: [Google]
lich.jpg
227 KB, 1024x1325
>>44620944
Ye old stand by
>>
File: u7eOpOe.jpg (545 KB, 1736x2456) Image search: [Google]
u7eOpOe.jpg
545 KB, 1736x2456
Incorporate pic related. Also, there was a copypasta about a pit of cutoff and reanimated hands, and one of them was the hand of a giant. Can't seem to find it atm.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 421x546) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 421x546
>>44620944
What level? ulgurstastas are your friend and they turn people into skeletons and absorb their memories and can get levels in spellcasting reall easy
>>
>>44623966
Cool puzzle/trap boss. I'm not OP but that might be interesting for stuff I want to do.

Maybe add in some "minions" growing out of the floor. Some of those skulls pop up revealing that they have rib cages and arms and are attached to the floor by an extra long spine. When the minions want to move they just burrow and reappear somewhere else making them immune no prepared actions and reach weapon reaction shots.
>>
>>44620944
How about a construct? Maybe a stone golem carved to look like a giant skeleton.

"I turn undead/cast control undead/positive energy spells etc"

"Nothing happens"
>>
>>44624684
This is just what I need. I was looking for a boss-like creature for the group I'm DMing. This sunday their going up against a group of mad/evil druids obsessed with creating a perfect beast.
>>
File: greatpumpkin06.jpg (277 KB, 720x550) Image search: [Google]
greatpumpkin06.jpg
277 KB, 720x550
>>44624684

Christ almighty, what was that wizard smoking when he made this thing?
>>
>>44625891
souls
>>
>>44624894
Not OP, but I'm stealing that idea.
>>
A campaign I've just gone over in my head is: the entire campaign was a dream.

Ideally the BBEG would be a homebrewed dying Dream Monarch, the players sent into this elaborate nightmare to die. Then when they strike the final blow they wake up in front of the dying monarch. Could be interesting.
>>
>>44626039
Adding upon this, there might be slight inconsistencies in physics, formation of the world, and maybe even the creatures themselves? The players wouldn't be made directly aware of the world being a dream but they could maybe figure out something is amiss.
>>
>>44626039
>>44626088

Well, that's a bit hard to play with. Fuck up physics, and players are going to ask why (possibly how they can abuse it as well). Formation of the world, that's easy. Few settings make any kind of sense where reality is concerned. Maybe if you want, you can pull a Sigil, have doors open to strange places. Creature-wise, I'd say the more fucked up, the better. Maybe when fighting bosses, the creature starts out as something recognizable (but terrifying), and gets more and more horrifying and unnatural as the fight goes on.
>>
>>44626222
Yeah, I plan on making the world more eldritch and terrifying as the campaign progresses. The Sigil idea sounds fun though, maybe have some non-elucidian fuckery going on?
>>
File: s-03929_PO_ESCHER_07-large640.jpg (160 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
s-03929_PO_ESCHER_07-large640.jpg
160 KB, 640x468
>>44626280

A classic choice, but a bit difficult to handle with description alone. Could always split the party, then throw them into something like pic-related-see them try to coordinate with different angles of gravity. But the easiest means of doing some freaky-deaky environments (in my experience anyway) is to take the Silent Hill route. Omnipresent mists which warp and muffle sound, muddle distance, hide anything you don't want the players to see (and dramatically reveal what you DO want them to see), and of course, the entire world turning into rust/flesh/whatever is sufficiently ominous and thematically appropriate for the nature of whatever nightmare realm they're stuck in.

But they'll probably see that coming. The longer they go without figuring out what's real and what isn't, the better.
>>
File: Brain in a jar.png (1 MB, 903x1099) Image search: [Google]
Brain in a jar.png
1 MB, 903x1099
I've been waiting to put my players up towards one of these. Kind of useless in of itself, but could be fun to play as a "mastermind" villain with some cool henchmen.
>>
>>44627552
>STR 12
>INT 1
What
>>
>>44628278
yeah that's pretty dumb, I intend to change that before using this mob though.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.