[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planning on starting a game for Toon soon, so, ya yuks got any
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Toonrpg cover.jpg (65 KB, 627x800) Image search: [Google]
Toonrpg cover.jpg
65 KB, 627x800
Planning on starting a game for Toon soon, so, ya yuks got any advice for me?
>>
silly voiced undead BBEG is a must
>>
>>44614779
Brush up on your toon mannerisms.

Watch the classic technicolor cartoons, primarily Warner Brothers. This'll give you a better idea of the general logic and settings to expect.

The rest is pretty much up to what exactly you want to run.
>>
>>44615287
Okay, so, I'm planning on it being episodic, you know, each session having little to do with each other, heck, I'm going to allow them to switch characters each session if they feel like it.

That said, I have in mind one session to be Wild West themed, and, if one of them asks if there's an Indian village, I'm going to give them an Indian village... as in, actual Hindu Indian. Sounds good for a gag?
>>
>>44615411
I for one like it
>>
>>44615411
The village itself is sentient and Hindu. The residents are disgruntled and confused Native Americans.
>>
It's a fun little system that manages to get the cartoon feeling right. The players need to be in on it: it's a game where messing up in a funny way is way better than succeeding, and some players can have some problems with getting used to that. They also need to accept that this is a cartoon game, where a pie to the face can deal more damage than getting your skull crushed by a piano.

It also works better for slapstick, no continuity cartoons than more "serious" shows like GI Joe or He-Man, but you can probably use it for that too.
>>
I played Toon once at a con and liked it. It's pretty simple, and you have to be open to the narrative structure of Merrie Melodies. It runs fast within moments, it's sufficient if the GM knows the simple rules.

There's a Futurama mod by Viral.
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 540x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 540x369
>>44614779
Get way too deep while never betraying it to your players. Keep the tone exceedingly light, but talk about myth and stories and meaning. Anansi should really be the bugs bunny of your world.

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2013/12/how-does-anthropomorphism-represent-race-in-krazy-kat/
>>
>>44614779
Caffeine. Lots of caffeine.
>>
Calvinball?
>>
File: futurama rpg.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
futurama rpg.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44619492
>There's a Futurama mod by Viral.
>>
Not familiar with it, but is it possible to go full edge and make it like The Unfunnies? If so, do that.
>>
>>44623172
You can make anything edgy if you really want to, but that's missing the point of Toon.
Also, it's impossible to die in Toon. When you run out of HP, your toon "Falls Down", the player has to take a 5 minutes time out, and then his toon rejoins the game, good as new.
>>
Just finished the first session last night, and had them taking care of a Baby Huey knock off. Gotta say, they had a blast!
>>
>>44626318
Storytime?
>>
>>44626318
Storytime and shenanigans?
>>
>>44623172

>make it like The Unfunnies

Mark Millar, LEAVE THIS PLACE
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.