[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40kRPG General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18
File: 1449276642240.png (162 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
1449276642240.png
162 KB, 600x255
Shitty OP picture Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

Enemies Without:
https://my.mixtape.moe/jbsyqt.pdf

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.5.1), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

Remember, ask a specific question, we'll be happy to help. But if you're vague, we'll tell you to make your players fight necrons. Probably.

What's your gunfu/vehiclefu/shipfu, /40krpg/?
>>
>>44608714
Valkyrie.

I would like to hear from FFG as to why there are no stats for one proper instead of a cargo variant, especially in OW.
>>
>>44608714
My Shipfu is definitely a Gun-Cutter. It's all snug and portable and just about as devastating as a Valkyrie but with a lot more utility.

A question my players will pick up on immediately. What sort of stuff would the Ordo Chronos be packing? Our Inquisitor time travelled and he's evaded the time-police thus far, but they'll catch him soon and I'd like for the encounter to be memorable and unique so I don't want everyone to have hellguns and plasma pistols and be wearing carapace armour. But I can't think of anything beyond "Stasis grenades"
>>
File: 1337494806708.png (545 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1337494806708.png
545 KB, 640x480
>>44609373
Sonic screwdrivers
>>
>>44609373
>Stasis grenades
>not firing a volley of warning shots using vortex grenades

I would imagine Ordo Chronus can afford nearly anything and would probably go for graviton guns if they need the players alive. I really like techxorcism guns as well. Not only they neutralise these annoying techpriests, but also lucky haywire field roll will shutdown non-primitive ranged and power weapons. Why not combine both?

I would make them very discreet and efficient at what they do as well - stasis grenades can help, but would probably create a lot of fuss in if they scatter.
>>
So I understand your character starts with a certain number of wounds from character creation. Do you get a additional wounds based on your TB? What about if you get the trait unnatural toughness?
>>
>>44609917
Have Vortex grenades ever been statted? I'd imagine a DW book has them somewhere but I'd rather not sift through every one of them unless I have to.

And yeah, I reckon Ordo Chronos is the best equipped of any Ordo, but I was hoping for some more unorthodox things than something from an Armoury chapter that the PCs could also get, even if I have to homebrew something. Anything would be appreciated.

>>44609593
Of course I couldn't proceed without this. The Inquisitor will be armed with one. Excellent item against anything but wood or stone, so primitive armour gains some kind of Anti-Proven quality .
>>
>>44609962
You don't get additional wounds based on TB, nor if you get the unnatural toughness trait. However, Wounds are available as a Talent, normally Sound Constitution. This can be purchased numerous times and grants an extra wound each time. I believe the amount of purchases is capped by your toughness bonus however, so there's a link there.
>>
>>44609962
In dh2: your sounds are only based on the charter creation and not toughness. I don't know the rules for unnatural toughness.

You can increase number of words by the talent sound Constitution. If you have the toughness aptitude it will only cost 100 xp
>>
>>44610109
Worst auto corrects ever, hope it was readable
>>
>>44609016
Because they cut support for OW like it carried the plague?
>>
How do you create drugs and toxins in dh2?

Medicae skill says you can use it to create. But also trade(chemyst) says you can create. My character also has chemistry lore, will it not affect?

Same question for modding and creating equipment. How do you do, is it trade(armorer)? What about tech use?
>>
>>44608714
I'm biased to the Solo boltgun, the gun-cutter and the Dictator cruiser, in that order. The Solo boltgun for being an awesome bolt sniper for the price that just gets better with additional ammo. The gun-cutter for being an incredibly useful multi-purpose hurt-bringer and the Dictator for rewarding players with piloting and commanding skills while also being quite practical for a Rogue Trader.

>>44609373
Some sort of device to detect temporal anomalies.
A chronal shifter. When activated, essentially speeds up time for the Inquisitor.
Hyperstasis gun. It puts a small area of its target into stasis for a fraction of a second. The rest stays out of stasis. Effects are nasty, if not that effective when fighting regenerating or daemonic foes.
Crossbow that fires sharpened null rods.
Go wild. The Ordo Chronos are probably the ones with the weirdest and wonderful-est toys.
>>
>>44610250
I am loving the Hyperstasis gun.

1d10+4 - Pen 0. Warp Weapon, Tearing. S/-/-
Clip: 4, Reload 2Full. Super duper rare. Something like that? Armour is no object to it = Warp Weapon trait, perhaps give it some pen just incase Psykers or a Sister of Battle gets all uppity?
>>
>>44610224
I'd use Medicae to create drugs (i.e. stimm) and trade (chem) for toxins. Test against your lore skill beforehand to apply a +/- 10 to the roll. When it comes to equipment it's largely trade (armorer). Tech-use should be for integrating new parts or interfacing with existing ones.
>>
>>44610737
Give it Maximal, and something like Pen 10 and Razor-sharp or something.
>>
>>44610026
>Have Vortex grenades ever been statted? I'd imagine a DW book has them somewhere but I'd rather not sift through every one of them unless I have to.

Rogue Trader, Faith and Coin

Also, for weapons that capture/disable people, you may wanna also check the Howler or Kinetic grenades from Into the Storm
>>
>>44610026
vortex, DW core rulebook, page 152

Also, how about a device which shift the battlefield into a pocket dimension? Everything is the almost the same, except colors are off and edges are fuzzy, but in reality none of the combatans is actually there.

also, why would they be so trigger happy? Wouldn't they just go and ask them to submit to interrogation?
>>
>>44609373

I immediately fell in love with the chronos guns in the OP. It think it helped that I was one of like 4 people who played the source material as well. Seriously, guns that age you in an instant? Tight as fuck.
>>
Hey, please tell me about your last session, anon. Expland beyond "we went to X to do Y", to keep it interesting, but try not to exceed 2000 characters.

Also, anon who originally posted RT storytime about Ovi - I know you're still lurking. What was the outcome? Why was the RT executed and how do their children fare?
>>
>>44612084
Last three sessions actually, all linked in a single still ongoing mission

>regiment arrives on a death world to help with a menace, nature still unknown
>rough landing and the squad gets out first from the dropship, soon find out that the spaceport section they landed in is under attack by feral orks
>there's a breach in the defences and a group of xeno is heading their way
>automated turrets are not working
>techpriest goes off to fix the problem with the operator, the rest of the squad takes defensive positions inside a ruined building
>orks are taken out and the squad gets relieved by another, advance to plug the gap in the perimeter
>ork attack loses momentum, the order to cease fire runs along the line
>the rest of the day is spent helping the IG forces already on the planet fixing the broken defences, burning ork bodies and giving peace to the dead
>while they do this they obviously talk with their new allies, getting a lot of advice on how to behave if they want to survive and that there are armsmen serving a rogue trader with orders to defend the spaceport
>these orders apparently precluded them from doing anything else, leading to the IG losing ground over a span of seven years
>due to this, relations between the IG and the armsmen have been stretched to the limit, they regularly come to blows and there have been some lethal injuries, basically both parts blame the other for anything going wrong now

>soon comes a briefing, the higher ups are happy about this fresh stream of forces the PC regiment represents and are eager to start a new joint operation to reclaim some lost ground
>ork presence is estimated to be mild since the recent attack meant lots of dead orks, orders are to clean the area around a lost IG base and then reclaim the base itself
>elements from the PC regiment, the regiment that was already on the planet and local guides from the PDF start marching through the jungle for the better part of the day
>>
>>44613406
>PC squad is on point in the broad formation, with a local acting as guide
>squad gets ambushed by orks from every side, visibility is 20 meters at best so good luck seeing them from afar, only half the squad actually heard them so the rest are caught unawares during the march
>the techpriest gets hit for a chunk of his hp, but nothing really major, it was the first time one of the players actually got hit because orks don't carry ranged weapons so they son realize getting in melee with one is a big deal
>along they way they find a group of grots too, they get blown the fuck out rather easily
>they camp for some hours and wake up at night, surprisingly nothing happened
>the guide leads them to the patch of ground they have to check and clean out, which turns out to be a couple of huts and a fire with some grots
>sniper hides, the medic goes around to flank the village, the rest stay back until they fire
>the two grot sentries are taken out together, the rest of the squad gets to the treeline to set up a firing line
>a group of grots comes running out of a hut to check what's going on, they get a fire grenade from a grenade launcher, survivors are shot again with las
>loud noise and bellowing starts coming from the other hut
>it gets flame granaded too
>as soon as the grenade hits, a nob with four orks come out of the door and start glaring around them
>they get fire grenaded too because the sniper with the grenade launcher managed not to panick thanks to the holy inscriptions he got
>sergeant is on the ground vomiting his lungs out and will stay there for the rest of the fight
>not all orks are on fire, they get shot first but are hard to pin down
>nob gets focused like no tomorrow and finally dies before reaching the PCs, another ork falls to the ground trying to get inside the hut where the grots came from, another one storms into the jungle on the side of the village to reach the firing line with brutal cunning
>>
>>44612084
It's been a while, and it was quite boring, so I'll tell you about my favorite session from the previous game
>Warband is looking for specific parts to repair their ship on one of the War Moons of Talax
>Manage to find someone who has their parts, but requires their military aid in payment
>A deal is struck, and they board a transport vessel which takes them to a staging area for an attack on a rival Forge
>Scouting is done on the enemy base by their new Warband member (think Space Marine Terrorist Insurgent, consistent Bane-talker)
>They're waiting for a shipment of bound Daemons to put the final touches on their much-needed support, some Blood Slaughterers
>Containment fails on-route, and the Bloodletters escape
>Players borrow some Legion Bikes, and venic nooses and head out to a corrupted patch of the moon to wrangle some Daemons
>Surviving a Blood-storm, Rad-storm, and managing to break a tribe of techno-biker-blood-cultists, they wrangle a few Bloodhounds and drag them back behind their bikes
>However during the fight with the bikers, the Word Bearer dies, and having Daemonic instability he dissolves into the Warp
>Having returned, the cultists set about finishing the Blood Slaughterers, and their leader uses the Word Bearer's sword as an anchor to summon his form back from the Warp... Only to bind him as a Daemon Weapon. Once bound.
>At the end of the session the Word Bearer puts all of his XP into Willpower, and becomes quite simply the most ludicrously powerful Best-Quality, Legion Power Sword, WP 60, 5 Ability Daemon Weapon of all time

Funnily enough, he went through about 3 bearers a session after that
They also stabbed him into a Leman Russ Cogitator, where he stranged the Machine Spirit, and temporarily possessed it.
Oh, then there was the time that he managed to kill an entire group of powerful warriors, by convincing each of them in turn to challenge the bearer for the "right" to use him.
>>
>>44613709
>by the time the remaining orks are shot down the cunning one almost tramples the flanking medic, which manages to dodge out of the way, without even noticing him
>he gets dropped too
>village looks clear, players move in to cut some teeth from the dead orks, but hear noise coming from the non burning hut
>by the time they cautiously get there to check, only a hole in the wall opposite the door is to be found
>soon they hear gunfire, war cries and WAAAAAAAGH everywhere around them, the rest of the formation started its job and all hell is breaking loose
>lured by the light of a burning hut in the middle of the night, another small group of orks comes out of the jungle
>by the time they are taken out another small group attacks from the rear, the sniper warns the others but for some it's too late
>the sergeant and the guide get charged by one ork each, the one charging the sarge luckily got hit in the arm before
>melee ensues for some rounds, the PDF guide gets hit badly to the leg, only unarmored part of his body, the other attack misses
>the ork fighting with the sergeant goes down, he leaves the medic to finish it off to go help the guide, but it's too late
>the guard gets another blow to the leg, cutting it off
>the ork gets dispatched, the medic runs to the rescue
>another group of orks come out, there's no end to them
>the sarge gets between the working medic and two orks, trying to buy time
>the first ork is not prone to wasting time, as he hits the sarge with one full out attack and with the follow up too
>the most tanky in the squad gets in the criticals in a single turn and almost loses his leg, using a fate point to get back some hp, he still falls down
>the second ork misses
>as a last resort the sarge fires his exterminator on one of the orks, making it a living torch that runs panicked back to the jungle, never to be seen again
>the other ork gets wounded by the sniper and finished off by the techpriest in melee
>>
>>44614081
>techpriest killed three orks in this engagement alone, with nothing but a lascarbine and a machete, actually starts thinking of becoming a crimson exemplar
>the sergeant shoots himself a stimm that the squad got from a logistical fuck up so that he can negate the agility malus and run for a couple of minutes
>the medic starts patching him up and announces that the local guide is dead (he failed the check but no way to know, the medic rolled badly in a lot of things that fight, also managing to jam a revolver, had to use a fate point to reroll and still missed the shot anyway)
>medic fails the roll to apply first aid to the sarge too, uses his second and last fate point, reroll goes smooth
>the squad hears other orks incoming, they ask the techpriest to have his servitor carry the guide's body and leg it

LAST SESSION
>they manage to reach HQ through vox, get orders to link up with a squad that missed the last check, coordinates are given
>techpriest checks total recall to load the operational maps they were shown during the briefing, instructs the one taking point on where to go
>medic is the one taking point due to higher int, so better navigate, he starts rolling badly again, as it is a new session, he can luckily reroll with a fate point and avoid leading his squad running in circles during an ork infested-death world's night
>survival checks manage to ensure the march goes smooth too, they get to the rendezvous but looks like no one's there
>squad links on the open channel and find out it's a mess: most squads got their objectives but were then hit by waves of orks, the IG hit a hornets nest and now losses are mounting up, stragglers are isolated and asking for directions, squads ask for sitreps and new orders
>sarge starts using his command skill to bring some sort of order
>meanwhile the sniper uses his flashlight to call out the other squad, signalling an I through morse
>>
>>44614410
>the other squad responds and comes out, they quickly assess each other's situation and agree on the course of action, which means continuing the mission as planned and getting to the staging point where the force is to wait for the second wave before attacking the base unless new orders come to call the mission off
>HQ confirms mission is continuing as planned, the two squads start marching
>the last part of the march goes smooth, fighting slowly ends, both humans and orks are licking their wounds, most of the squads involved in the operation manage to get to the temporary "base", a command tent, some crates acting as an ammo dump and a field hospital
>medic goes to help tending the wounded, techpriest goes around to check equipment, sarge checks the command tent to report, finding the PCs lt bringing good news: attack is going to start in less than a hour, as soon as the second IG wave links up with them
>since the PCs regiment is more heavily armored, they'll act as part of the assault section along with another platoon from the other regiment, they'll storm the breach as soon as the covering section manages to clear the perimeter walls
>attack starts, after around ten minutes the assault section gets the order to advance, they link up with the cover section, catch their breath for a minute while LT's coordinate the effort, then they charge
>PCs squad gets to their breach unopposed, but get charged by some orks as soon as they actually touch the wall
>orks get dispatched by copious amounts of melta and flame

And here the session ended, the next one is going to be about clearing out the rest of the base, and if time allows it taking measures to actually hold it. Orks are proving to be dangerous enough so my players don't go around acting too cocky, but they usually manage to dispatch them without a single ork meaning a TPK, we're all satisfied up till now.
>>
File: neocons.jpg (39 KB, 319x440) Image search: [Google]
neocons.jpg
39 KB, 319x440
I want to run Rogue Trader, but I have no idea where to start. I'm familiar with most of the 40k fluff, but actual campaign ideas have yet to arrive.

What do, how start?

>inb4 necrons, I'd rather include pic related
>>
>>44616996
Randy McLovin' just inherited his Warrant and his Dad's Space Ship.
So he pulled together a crew, and set off in search of booty, and thrones.

Just take any given exploration movie and run with that.
Bonus points if it's treasure planet.
>>
>>44616996
In a tub of obscura
>>
bump again. Is everyone asleep?
>>
>>44622756
Nothing to talk about, I posted my greentext and no news until tuesday.
>>
Why is Nurgle the worst Chaos God to follow in Black Crusade?
The associated skills and feats aren't very good and the concept of poisoning and infecting others falls apart when you consider that FFG barely focused on infection rules.
>>
>>44624292
because even then, if you go Nurgle, you can become literally unkillable by anything short of anti-vehicle weaponry after a while.
>>
>>44610224
Medicae can be usednto create more of a drug\poison that you have a sample of already

Chymist is for creating any chemical
>>
Is forbidden lore (administratum) a valid skill? What sorts of things would it entail?
>>
>>44624485
becoming Vandire,

Administrantium backstabbing, the inner workings of the imperium

Become Littlefinger
>>
Little bit confused on Black Crusade crafting rules.

The crafting sidebar says that you should use Tech Use for making weapons and whatnot. But the description for Trade (Armorer) says that you use it to make weapons, even though trade isn't mentioned in the crafting rules. What do I use?

Also wondering if anybody has homebrewed alternate character generation rules that are less restrictive. I am annoyed that I can't make a traitor techmarine or a techpriest/skitarius that manifested warp powers after his training started.
>>
>>44624485
Not needing to sign 2143 papers and wait for 28 years before getting an answer to your request
>>
so, I'm homebrewing, and someone suggested the d100 system as a good base for mechanics. I know that the 40K RPGs run on that system.

my question is; which core book most clearly describes the d100 mechanics system? I wish to look at it and do some light number crunching.

for anyone interested the Homebrew is "Lost Source"
>>44525340
input is always nice. especially since I've hit a creative wall.
>>
> Join up with a new DH group
> Only one who has good handle on the rules
> GM has little grasp on 40k lore or the rules
> Starts off by throwing us into an airlock with no exits
> Guards overseeing the airlock are shown a rosette as proof of who we are
> They immediately blow the airlock and make it start decompressing
> GM claims he's just "telling us how the world's reacting to us"
> TPKs within 2 turns due to vacuum damage
> "Why didn't you guys just do X"

It's shit games like this that remind me why I rarely play as a player.
>>
File: 1297680787023.jpg (50 KB, 523x600) Image search: [Google]
1297680787023.jpg
50 KB, 523x600
Why did the Machine Spirit cross the road?

To get to the Omnissiah
>>
>>44624485
You know the codes needed to avoid most of the red-tape and make things run faster.
You also know the best recaff machines in every Departamentum.
>>
>>44626246
...What did he expect you to do?
>>
>>44626349
Apparently we were supposed to stop our Interrogator from being an Interrogator. That or be in full voidsuits at all times.
>>
>>44626015
All books have the same chapter copy pasted essentially.

Your stats range from 1-100, the higher your stat the better. You roll a d100 and try to get under your stat. The stat itself can be modified by situational factors, so it might be harder to spot someone in a storm and it's easier to sneak in a cloudstorm. These would lower and raise your target number respectively. Roll under your stat and you succeed, the more you succeed by (counted in increments of ten), the better.
>>
>>44626385
>counted in increments of ten
...I thought it was 5...but that might be an other game. it's been a while since I even looked at 40K.

>same chapter copy-pasted
so they're all about the same. going for the 2e Dark Hersey manual then.
>>
>>44626445
The only thing to change in DH2 (and Only War and Black Crusade) is that Degrees of Success/Failure (the increments of 10 thing) is calculated slightly differently.
>>
>>44624292
Also, some of his psychic powers are insane. On top of that, you'll be unkillable as >>44624340 says.
>>
Hey, so, I'm using roll20 for a Dark Heresy campaign, and /something/ changed between today and last saturday. Now it's only showing degres of success rather than target and roll.How do I go back?
>>
How does the threat threshold work in Dark Heresy? I can never seem to udnerstand it when making NPC for future encounters
>>
I'm trying to get a group of my friends together for some DH games. It's the first time I've played it, and I still have yet to actually get anything, but what kind of numbers would you recommend? I want to make sure they're actually going to play before I shell out money, but I also need to know many people is too little, or too much.
>>
>>44624569
Either.
Though personally I don't let people craft stuff with Tech-Use.
Makes it even more of a God-skill than it already is.
>>
>>44628081
Don't you mean Machine-God skill?
>>
>>44628081
why not ignore entire rulebook and run off homebrew?
>>
>>44627945
4 or 5
>>
File: Doc_hildern_tells_it_like_it_is.jpg (228 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Doc_hildern_tells_it_like_it_is.jpg
228 KB, 1280x1024
>>44628290
>>
>>44631033
like your tech-use faggotry? no need to get so defensive, anon. I'm sure there are people desperate enough to play with you and maybe you'll make a name for yourself probably in that DM threads
>>
>>44629730

Not including myself as the GM, right? Have maybe three people so far.
>>
>>44632780
Gm+3 players is good enough, especially for starting out. Enough players to cover most bases without it becoming messy.
>>
In your opinion, what are some underappreciated skills?
>>
>>44632850
Coming from an OW GM, pretty much alle the social ones. I get that the campaign obviously has a lot of fighting, but really, I already put them in a lot of situations where they either have ROEs forcing them to interact with civilians or have to interrogate prisoners captured on the field to get sensible intel that would help them in their current mission. The sergeant is half tank/half leader so no party face, they've been going around with a strange combination of the techpriest using logic and the medic using scrutiny but seriously guys, invest some points.
>>
GMing OW - my players are creating brontian long knives. Any good sources with them doing stuff? I really don't know much about them and am not sure how I'm going to deliver a brontian feeling to the game. Admittedly I had never heard of them until OW. They don't only use knives, right?
>>
>>44633356
They were created for OW, they are fluffed out in Hammer of the Emperor IIRC
>>
>>44633356
They're a FFG made regiment.
>>
So what is over powered in dh2.

I kind of feel fear is op... A fear 2 situation easily make most of the party useless. Even if you manage to get 50 in wp you still fail more than half the times.
>>
>>44634047
Fire

Flamers

Graviton Hammers
>>
>>44634654

Grav ANYTHING is overpowered. I can't imagine what would prompt FFG to create an item that bases damage off enemies' armor. It's impossible to resist.
>>
>>44635125
Enemies that rely more on toughness than armor. Does mean that they are supreme anti-vehicle weapons. That is kinda the point of them though.

They're also all at Near Unique rarity though, so you'd expect it to be powerful.
>>
>>44635125
>>44635179

Yeah, but most enemies with huge toughness bonuses are also very well armored. And then you're in Deathwatch level enemy territory. But what can you do, FFG didn't invent grav, GW did. And Space Marines have been top of the tournament scene ever since.
>>
>>44635271
I think the most OP thing about the grav hammer is that it doesn't have unbalanced nor does it have unwieldy so you can lightning attack with it.
>>
>>44635271

This right here is the perfect example of why we should ignore the tabletop for the RPG, and stick only to lore-based sources for items and weapons.
>>
>>44635341
What bugs me the most is that Graviton weaponry went from "Rare and poorly understood, only barely ever made" to "Dozens of different types and about as rare or unique as plasma or melta", in just the space of a few codexes.. It just crawls all over me, for some reason.
>>
File: Gravity Hammer Strike.jpg (20 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
Gravity Hammer Strike.jpg
20 KB, 450x253
>>44636640

They explained it in the Horus Heresy books, sort of. Graviton is rare and poorly understood, adapted from mining tools. It wounded off strength (like the Graviton gun in IHB). But then some dude on the forge world of Tigrus in 30k invented a variant that was easier to make and mass produce, the Graviton Imploder.

Thought it was considered blasphemous and perverse at the time, it was easier to make, far more powerful, and thus became common over the 10,000 years following.
>>
File: 1437996924361.jpg (46 KB, 365x599) Image search: [Google]
1437996924361.jpg
46 KB, 365x599
My BC game is finally getting into the warband / potentially chapter building section of the game.

As the players acquire new pools to pull recruits from how should I go about stating out different squads and groups?

I was thinking of having a base stat line for new scouts, and as the players decide on chapter methods / training tweak the base stat lines accordingly.

As the players perform large scale operations they can send certain squads to perform certain tasks using their statlines for skill checks.

Any other Black Crusade GMs have any experience with this? I'm kinda making my own homebrew for it and would love some input from /tg/
>>
>>44638457
>Black Crusade
>Chapters

Anyways, 'new' recruits would depend on what they consider to be fit for combat duty. Is it going to a be a dude who just got his black carapace from the dark admech guy or does he have a decade or two of experience under his belt?
>>
>>44638553
Hey maybe the players want to be a little more formal than a warband.

It'll probably be recruits that have the beginnings of the black carapace, then full fledged marines later. Maybe a two step process, completely new recruits being led by the PCs and full black carapace marines.
>>
>>44638785
>Beginning of the black carapace
It doesn't really work like that. You either have it or you don't, unless if you're putting it in separately like in an arm, then the torso, then a leg, etc.
>>
>>44638553
Organization is strength, as they say. Plus they can do it in a mocking manner.
>>
>>44638832
Sorry late night after work, the beginning of the implantation of the organs. I thought that scouts were given some organ implants and the black carapace was added last, yeah?
>>
>>44638912
In codex-adherent chapters, yes. Some do it all at once, some just won't have some organs, but generally that is the process.
>>
>>44638929
alright so assuming the new recruits have their carapace, I figured I'd give the whole squad a base statline and then adjust it based on what type of homeworld they had, what training the PCs decide recruits should have etc.

Also the process of becoming marines should be dangerous in and of itself, especially if the PCs don't have all the facilities for correct implantation of the organs etc. what should the survival rate be? What's a reasonable percentage based on the fluff of 40k
>>
>>44638951
That REALLY depends on the quality of equipment and the experience of the staff doing and overseeing the process.

At best, 95% success rate.

At worse, you get badly mutated and mutilated corpses and chaos spawn.

Considering this is BC, you could be using some warpstuff to speed things along or make it go more smoothly, though in such cases they'd definitely pick up corruption and a mutation or three.
>>
File: 1419229102179.jpg (198 KB, 1354x1552) Image search: [Google]
1419229102179.jpg
198 KB, 1354x1552
>>44639034
That makes sense, maybe when they first start out it'll be like 10 percent success rate with a 50 percent chance for mutations. Collecting better chirurgeons and equipment could provide for interesting quest hooks.
>>
>>44632850
Dh2
Catfall. +20 to acrobatics? Yes please
Scholastic lords - tactics imperialis
Leaping dodge
Most from enemies within
Grenadier - it's awesome
Sleigh of hand is much better

Older versions: Carouse, gamble, chem gelt
>>
>Rereading the DH2e core book to help refine idea for a character
>Do double-take at some alternate characteristics listed for skills

Can someone help me understand how Fellowship could be used in place of Perception for Awareness tests or how Fellowship could be used in place of Intelligence on all lore tests, including Forbidden Lore?

There is Tech-Use listed as an alternate characteristic for Deceive, though I guess it is for lying to servitors or similar things?
>>
>>44639944
My only guess for Fellowship on those 2 tests is noticing odd things in a social situation. Tech-use, I have no idea. What page did you find this on?

Also, high powered biomancers are strong as fuck if you want to go with that.
>>
>>44639977
Page 100, table 3-3 skill lists, on the right column.
>>
>>44639944
>Can someone help me understand how Fellowship could be used in place of Perception for Awareness tests
Business negotiation. Your character spots signs of hostile intent or a possible trap by picking up body language signals, eye movement and intonation rather than noticing suspicious things using perception since it requires empathy rather than raw perception
> how Fellowship could be used in place of Intelligence on all lore tests, including Forbidden Lore?
You chat up archivarius or gossip to obtain a piece of info. Test will probably be harder and you'll receive leas information though
>There is Tech-Use listed as an alternate characteristic for Deceive, though I guess it is for lying to servitors or similar things?
Faking pic feed image or putting the image on a loop. Deceive element comes up because its not enough to be able to subvert machine spirits, but also choose a good footage for the loop to avoid raising suspicion
>>
>>44638853
But solid organisation in chaos warbands is more of an exception rather than standard, and even those warbands who have it rarely have it for long.
>>
>>44640076

It's his groups interpretation of the universe. If they want more organized Chaos warbands, why not? It isn't exactly a major thing and to me it makes sense that Chaos marines, even when following chaos, would still have the hierarchical desire to join together.
>>
>>44642014

So it's not true 40k, it's "40k-like homebrew setting featuring chaos."
>>
>>44643556

Yes, because having some of the Chaos Marine bands be more organized it tantamount to homebrewing an entire setting.

You're 100% "that player" who whines every time the GM or other players deviates from the lore (despite the lore being a cluster fuck full of contradictions in and of itself).
>>
>>44643556
Can a GM do anything that even slightly deviates from Canon without you crying?

Chaos Space Marines can totally group up and have an enduring warband without every marine being That Guy and trying to kill oneanother.
>>
>>44643556
>every single battle played on the tabletop is not true 40k
>>
>>44643556
Are you the same guy that threw a hissy fit about how dare a GM say that you can't craft with Tech-Use alone because Tech-Use is too powerful as it is? Because by all the Emperor's wives, just grow the fuck up, what is WRONG with you?
>>
>>44643998

No, I'm not. I'm just advocating for a homebrew-free, pure game.
>>
>>44644437
You're fucking retarded. Kindly fellate a shotgun, because there is no such thing as a homebrew free game, and there is a reason the GM has the power to change rules he doesn't like. You are the worst kind of player, and the worst kind of person, and the world would genuinely be better off without you. Kill yourself, and have a nice day.
>>
>>44644437

So how does someone like you deal with the contradictions then?
Such as the lore stating that only extremely large ships can enter the warp (because of the size of warp engine) and that some books have portrayed tiny, Millennium Falcon-like ships traveling the warp in direct conflict with this?
>>
>>44644873
Not him, but to be 100% fair, the very smallest ship depicted as warp-capable by FFG is almost a kilometer long (You know, the size of an Imperial Star Destroyer) and by Imperial standards it's a scout ship. Plus in anything frigate or smaller, your plasma engine + warp drive will eat up half or more of your ship's usable space by themselves. So that specific thing isn't much of a contradiction.
>>
>>44645646

Eisenhorn has a warp capable gun cutter
>>
>>44645686
For whatever my money is worth? Take your pick:
>Inquisition claiming Dark Age relics for their own use, like a warp engine and Gellar drive smaller than your bathroom
Or
>Black Library in charge of not being retarded
>>
So, this is a truly obscure request (xposting it with the PDF beg-thread thread as well): but I once saw a much smaller (still complete) version of "Shield of Humanity" for Only War, it was OCR'ed and like 70-some MB rather than the image-scanned 300-some MB version that's usually in circulation. Anyone have it by any chance?
>>
>>44643998
hey, I'm the guy who threw the fit (because, let's admit it, this guy is fucking retarded), but I disagree with >>44644437 becacuse this is even more retarded. It's very hard to run a smooth game without homebrewing a thing or two, but then useless pieces of shit like >>44628081 come up, so I'm a bit torn.
Then again, players are final judges for any DM - if they keep flaking, in 3/4 of cases it means the DM is shit.
>>
>>44644873
the thing is, there are very small number of contradictions which can't be resolved with "lol DaoT relic". While your premise is correct, you need to work on the arguments you use to support the claim, anon.
>>
>>44646157
Honestly, the specific example of limiting Tech-Use for crafting has two sides for me. On one hand, yes, it's a ridiculously good skill that I routinely see people happily paying out-of-aptitude prices to get, and making it less "Everyone ever should get this" is a nice thought. On the other hand, crafting high technology is literally what cogboys do half the time and what secures the power of the Mechanicus, so fluffwise that's a big old swing a miss. You can argue either way, you just jumped to an extreme position waaay too quickly, mate.
>>
>>44646295
hey, I allow my players to do pretty much anything physically possible, including crafting or taking skills providing they have reasonable explanation.
I just find outright banning stuff sign of a weak and impotent GMing lacking imagination and it makes my blood boil.
You want to research forbidden lore (archeotech), even though you're a crude bounty hunter?
Be my guest.
You want to use your tech-use to recreate a relic of the past because you upped it at +20?
By all means.
You succeeded?
Wonderful
Now have Enemy and Rival (adeptus mechanicus) talents because you were seen using a relic, presumed lost for ages and have kill teams send after you.
Not only it allows you to create bigger depth and immersion as well as introduce the world restrictions better, but also discourages PCs from doing things they're "not supposed" to do much better than actual ban.
But hey, be boring because you can't handle basic lore and lack imagination.
>>
>>44646483
Holy shit. No one's talking about banning crafting, just making Tech Use less of a godskill. You can still craft shit, you just have to buy another skill. Calm your tits.
>>
Does anyone have an exact date as to when Slaanesh was born?
The wikis don't give one, just the general story of its birth.
>>
>>44646483

You sound like a boring GM to play with.
If I can do anything with any character then it really takes away the oomph of the action.
>>
>>44646583
>you just have to buy another skill.
Ah, my apologies then, anon, you should have said that straight away. Best regards.
>>
how are priests in rogue trader?
more "REPENT MOTHERFUCKER" like or just zealot priests?
>>
Ok, so I want to run a Deathwatch campaign that features the Alpha Legion as the bad guys.

So, first and foremost, do any of the books have any interesting Alpha Legion stuff? I saw the Tz book for Black Crusade has them as a class, though I didn't see anything about them to make good bad guys with, and I know one of the Deathwatch books features them as a bad guy in a short campaign, which is what inspired me. I'm just curious if there's anything I can do to make them feel very Alpha Legion-ish as bad guys. I don't plan on having the combat encounters with them be very often, and so I want them to feel a bit more than just fighting other marines.

The other thing I'm interested in is various plot lines to work with. The backdrop was going to be a big Ork Waagh that the Killteam is trying to stop, and with several sessions devoted just to fighting them and dealing with their shit. As time went on I was going to have the hints of the Legion be around, with the implication that they're the ones causing the Waagh.

The big plot twist, of course, is that the Legion is in fact trying to stop the Waagh for reasons unknown, forcing the Kill team to make the choice of helping them(and helping the Legion is always a bad idea, even if it seems like a good one) or actually letting the Waagh proceed into Imperial space.

So I'm looking for encounter ideas to work this concept. At the moment I'm working with them finding a Legion outpost that has info that can be taken both ways, them finding cult activity on a world right in line with the Waagh(the Legion are training them to better resist the Orks invasion), and of course one of their superiors being an Alpha Legion member who's helping them in sinister ways.
>>
>>44648341
A bit of column A and a bit of column B there. The way I understood it, they're there to spread the faith of the Emperor to the outermost fringes of the galaxy where most RTs operate and making sure he doesn't go off the deep end. In all of the games I've played, the priest is the hard ass that keeps everyone grounded and focused on what the Big E wants: Burn the heretic, purge the xenos, kill the mutant, yadayadayada.
>>
Who else is going to go full heretic once Enemies Beyond comes out? I'm thinking about sacrificing my inquisitor to the dark gods in exchange for immortality, what about you?
>>
>>44648789
thanks.
I am set between
>priest
>technopriest
>jew-like rogue trader
>>
>>44648871
I must admit I'm tempted to make a mutant pysker focusing on malefic daemonology and seeing just how fast I can reach 100 corruption and how utterly horrifying I become in that time.
>>
>>44648945
Do it and report back. I want to start hearing about crazy shit going on once that book comes out, especially since we're going to get Daemonhosts and such. I think it would be really neat if there were some references to the Illuminati as well, given that self-exorcising is their shtick.
>>
Side quest idea:
>a group of loyal zealots banded up and call themselves "Word Bearers", in veneration of the Ecclesiarchy and the Sacred Word of the Emperor.
>Being simple citizens of the Emperium and certainly loyal, they are oblivious to the events of the heresy and names of the traitor legions as well as lore pertaining the Long War.
>This causes resources drain as every lory-savvy warband or inquisitor goes after them
yay or nay?
>>
>>44649842
Do it, that is a really funny idea for a sidequest.

I have this really funny picture in my head of all these puritan Inquisitors and their retinues showing up, armed to the teeth and ready for a Chaos incursion, only to find some stupid peasants. This of course prompts them to look even deeper in investigation to see if it was some kind of play to gather them there, and it all comes tumbling down from there in the only way the Inquisition knows how.
>>
>>44649932
> it all comes tumbling down from there in the only way the Inquisition knows how.
Because everyone decided to blame that one local Istvaanian Inquisitor that was just in the neighbourhood for space bagels.
>>
>>44608714
How can I make Rogue Trader more epic? Has anyone experimented with starting with a small fleet and using troupe play (each player has 2-3 characters)?

To balance starting with multiple ships, I'm thinking about introducing a maintenance penalty. Basically using a cruiser on an endeavor costs 3 PF. Likewise, escorts cost 2 and transports cost 1. This is balanced by the fact that a transport can add several hundred achievement points to objects. Thus, transports are the money makers while cruisers and escorts can focus on combat.
>>
>>44650646
just read annual report of a big shipping company
>>
>>44650646
Honestly, I prefer starting RT in a well-equipped frigate and emphasizing how vast and weird and hostile things are, and making them earn their capital ships. It feels more epic that "I have a cruiser!" if even getting one is a major milestone in their career.
>>
>>44650646
I don't think my groups have ever had any issues with RT being epic. The game itself naturally works it's way towards epic proportions the farther and farther the campaign goes along, with every ship entering the fleet another opportunity for high adventure. Give the players the opportunity and the game will proceed along that route by itself.
>>
>>44650907
Most rogue trader dynasties start with a cruiser + escorts in the non-FFG fluff. This is in addition to the normal transport ships they would normally have accompanying. Overall, I'd like the space game to play more like battlefleet gothic + resource management than firefly.

In addition, I feel troupe play is really appropriate for RT. All the classes seem very vital and while you could get by with with 4 it seems kind of far fetched that a rogue trader couldn't afford to hire an arch-militant or two when he can afford ammunition for his macrocannons.

Finally, I'm thinking of making misfortunes an automatic roll at the end of every adventure with the roll being influenced by the total PF of the party. Basically, the more resources you have, the more spread out you are, the more vulnerable you are.
>>
>>44608714
Favorite gun was probably the 54 trantor/back shotgun combiweapon an assassin of mine carried. Fluffed the fire selector on the latter as being a giant revolving mechanism. The targeter, RDS and expanded ammo selection in RT made it more fun.

>out doing all dem fancy bolt and melta pistols with your fucked up Frankenstein SP gun
>>
>>44608714
My DM had a techpriest aboard a vessel we later fought a Nurgle greater daemon made of sewage on tinker with a needle pistol I'd picked up and turn it into a needle carbine with a significantly higher rate of fire. I played an Assassin. It was a fun gun.

What's your favorite character concept or character you played, /tg/?

Did you know that if you play a Mutant you have a 1/10,000 chance of rolling what amounts to a Daemon? 1 on Divination, Twisted Flesh, 100 on Mutation roll gets you a bunch of gnarly shit in addition to your starting mutation and trait.
>>
>>44653198
>Fought a daemon of Nurgle
>With a weapon meant to kill with toxins
>>
>>44608714
My shipfu is the Turbulent Heavy Frigate. Small, tough, scrappy, and adaptable as hell. Its only flaws are that its Space goes real quick, and it can't mount a real lance. Aside from that, it's amazing.
>>
>>44653265
My Assassin had a toxic weapon, yes. We fought a Nurgle daemon, yes. But the idea that I attempted to kill the daemon with the needle carbine is an extrapolation of yours with no basis in my typed words.

Faggot.

:3

I used the eviscerator on that (and quickly got my shit handed to me).
>>
>>44653360
>>44653265
>>44653198
Although
>greater daemon

It was a herald. One from the book. My GM realized midway through the fight that he had to weaken its defenses a bit so we could hurt it. But didn't lower its offense before it smacked me. Fun times.
>>
>>44639622
Why scholastic lore - tactica imperialis is good? I can't think any good use of that as being underappriciated
>>
>>44653525
It's literally Tactics the skill. It can be amazingly good with the right GM.
>>
>>44653645
I've played an Arbitrator before but i never used the skill up to potential. Can u give me a small example so i can understand the potential better?
>>
>>44653738
Predicting enemy movements.
Asking the GM what a tactically wise move would be.
Setting up better defenses.
Probably getting a bonus to ambush tests.

Basically it's a "hey, can I roll this to improve what we're doing with some quality tactical planning"?
>>
>>44653904
Thanks a lot mate. I was thinking more complicated stuff. The things you said never popped into my mind.
>>
>>44654196
>TFW you're not sure if anon is being sarcastic or not
>>
>>44654393
No, i am sincere. It's late here(eufag) and i can't think clearly. Thats why i couldn't come up with what you've said.
>>
>>44650646
Do these ratios sound reasonable for spaceship maintenance?
1-Transport
2-Raider
4-Frigate
6-Light Cruiser
8-Cruiser
12-Battlecruiser
16-Grandcruiser
20-Battleship

I'm thinking of simplifying endeavors by replacing achievements point with PF. For example a minor endeavor with three objectives would have 1 PF for each objective. I'm also thinking that each ship class would have specific bonuses to the PF earned. Raiders would provide a bonus to criminal objectives for example. There would be other variables as well.
>>
Does anyone have a printer friendly version of the DH2 character sheet? The official one is an inksucking whore.
>>
In the Bone 'ead specialty, Improved Dexterity allows them to use things like eviscerators and power spears with one hand right?
>>
How do I be a good Heretek in Black Crusade?
>>
>>44658268
Stuff daemons into things
>>
>>44658268
Go all SCIENCE!! beyond all logic or reason and be as much of a lunatic mad scientist as the GM will allow you to be.
>>
>>44610047
I don't please so. The Ascension book covers this, and simply caps your maximum amount of Wounds to 25, because you're still only human.
>>
>>44608714
What are some good ways to keep cults interesting as antagonists even after the party discovers them?
I'm planning on doing a DH 2e campaign taking place in the Aurelian Sector post-DoW II Retribution. It is going to be about House Vandis returning and attempting to launch a sector wide insurrection on the weakened Blood Ravens chapter, with the party being called in to assist. I plan on Vandis having operations all over the sector, but I'm worried they might become boring after the party figures out who they are and defeats them on one planet, only to have to go somewhere else and do the same thing.
Thoughts?
>>
Anyone ever resolved ship combats with Battlefleet Gothic or mass combats with normal Warhammer instead of the usual rules? Everyone in my group is heavily into the wargaming side of things but I'm worried that just slotting them in might interrupt the flow of the RPG part too much.
>>
>>44658562
Which victories did you use?
>>
>>44610047
>>44658529
It actually depends on which RPG line you're using. In the class-based lines, it is by how many times it pops up on careers and such.

In Black Crusade, it is up to your toughness bonus.

In OW and DH2e, it is up to double your toughness bonus
>>
>>44624485
>is the skill of knowing what one needs to do to make paperwork disappear, track transport on a planet and what form to fill out for plasma weapons and who might have them useful?
>>
>>44647788
He fucking did you sperg.
>>
>>44648341
You know, I've always wanted to play a game of 40krpg playing a Missionary. Not a bro-tier man of the cloth who also happens to kick ass, or a scholar and gentleman who looks up everything that is shitting on the campaign and how to stop it. No, I want to play a fucking lunatic who wears a burning brazier as a hat, has a laud hailer installed in his throat, and spends combat chainswording things to death while shouting hellfire and damnation preaching at louder volumes than your average black metal concert. With more ham than ten Shatners and as Deep Southern an accent as I can manage.
>"BEHOLD, brothers and sisters, the work of the mutant, the heretic, the traitor! He comes in many guises, many masks, all to hide his fundamental FILTH from the good and honest men and women of the Imperium! He walks among you spreading LIES and DISEASE, weakening from within because he dares not face us unmasked, and it is your responsibility to uncover him wherever he may hide, and BURN HIM OUT! I do not speak of metaphors, brothers and sisters, oh no. Where you find the heretic, BURN THE HERETIC. To do any less is to betray Him On Terra, and that is itself a HERESY! To battle, brothers and sisters! AAAAAAMEN!!"
It's a pity I play with a pack of low-tier fedoras who wouldn't tolerate the schtick for long, because hot damn it seems like it'd be fun for a while.
>>
>>44660902
Only War Ministorum Priest specialty
>>
>>44658562
The key is to have the cult attack from multiple different angles, on one planet the nobles are up to something odd, on another there is seemingly some kind of mutant uprising. So on and so forth, with each operation having it's own quirks and leadership.After the players use one method of capturing of encircling the cultists, have the cultists later on adapt based on the reports they received from their comrades. If one acolyte becomes somehow noteworthy, carry it forward throughout all of the planets that they visit. Hell, you can even have weird rumors going on within the enemy ranks about the strange and murderous acolytes that have been sent to hunt them. Have a cascading effect on the rest of the adventure based upon their actions throughout, essentially.
>>
So, first time DM for Deathwatch.

Anything I should be aware of? Any books I should use? Shouldn't use? Any major imbalances between the classes I should be aware of? Any Errata absolutely need to use?
>>
>>44661795
RF rules and the errata for bolters.
>>
What are some qualities I should look for when making a Guardsman character?
>>
>>44661874
What do you mean? Character qualities? Weapon qualities? Both?

What system?
>>
>>44661849
Rapid Fire rules? What specifically about them?

Or are you lumping that in with Errata?
>>
>>44661910
Righteous Fury rules.

Look at them in the core book then look at the heavy bolter.
>>
>>44661922
Ah yes, Righteous Fury, and the combination of Rending and Full-Auto is a wonderful engine for crit-fishing.

It's even better if you use a type of ammunition that triggers it on a 9 as well.
>>
>>44660902
We have one of those for Sigmar in our WFRP. He hurts my ears but it's hilariously fun to listen to.
>>
>>44661922
What, the 3d10 roll combined with the Full Auto producing a retarded amount of 10s?

That does seem like it would get pretty retarded.
>>
>>44661902
Character qualities, primarily. Group is a mixed bag of greed, justice, and murder. I want to play him as a cowardly tech-hoarder, but I'm not sure how to depict a lone Guardsman leaving his own military and travelling across the universe without it being too over the top.

System is Dungeons the Dragoning: 40k.
>>
>>44661995
My group uses a house rule that only the first die for any weapon that uses more than one can generate RF/ZH.

Helps cut down on that distasteful sort of thing, desu.
>>
File: 124778668719.jpg (71 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
124778668719.jpg
71 KB, 400x266
>>44661795
Hi, congratulations on running the game for the watch!
First thing you need to remember is starting power level is very high, it's not your gritty DH adventure and therefore don't be upset when see both the enemies and your players pump ludicrous damage.

>Any books I should use? Shouldn't use?

I say use all books since splats have rules for additional chapters, very cool gear and weapons you want your players to use and additional character creation rules. I suggest you use all of the splats since few of them have provisions related to character-creation process, so introducing them later would deprive your characters of giving their marines extra depth.

Highlights:
* Rites of battle the rules allowing players to roll for armour pattern, giving slim chance of getting something else rather than Aquilla.
* It also has Deeds, which allow for small modifications during character creation process. Use it, it's awesome and with right players can be source of plothooks in itself

>Any major imbalances between the classes I should be aware of?
There probably are, but the marines are so powerful overall you probably shouldn't be concerned. I suppose devastator with heavy bolter will tear through most things, but if you're clever and your players fight smart it won't upset balance too much.
Splitting hordes, throwing a melee infiltrator at the devastator, make use of advanced horde rules from the splats, cover and the such is something you should use.
It is important to have librarian and apothecary in the kill-team in my opinion.

Any Errata absolutely need to use?
3d10 tearing means almst guaranteed crit. Heavy Bolter with RoF -/-/10 and +20 for full auto burst means most bosses in the book will die to one burst.
It seems to be general approval among /tg/ bolter are too powerful and errata should be used. It's up to you, really. I use it selectively (such as allowing all marines take jump pack training at rank 1). You'd need to read through yourself.
>>
>Best quality armor doesn't reduce the weight of said armor by half in DH 2e

Why? It seems really odd to take that out.
>>
Would a puritan inquisitor have an issue with someone wearing mesh armor?
>>
>>44662578
Not necessarily.
Not all Mesh Armour is made by Xenos.
>>
Considering hive spires and areas near the underhive, would gun and munition stores in such locations be more akin to fast food restaurants than real gun stores?
>>
>>44662659
I reckon they'd more likely be stalls, heavily armed stalls.

You don't want those dangerous loons knowing where to find you consistently.
>>
>>44662690
Well, there would probably be armored guards or maybe even an arbites or two in a hot zone.
>>
>>44662709
>arbites or two in a hot zone
Think of the Arbites like the FBI.
They don't give a shit unless it's a problem on a scale which would affect the Imperium.
>>
>>44662786
Well, they'd have guards at least and armored counters.

The thought of a couple of people arguing whether to get a lasgun or autogun and holding up a line or a dude ordering a revolver and some expander rounds as casually as someone ordering a burger and fries makes me giggle a bit.
>>
What kind of sensors does a typical auspex (augury array) have?

I have a player who activates it in every new area and every time a new npc shows up.

Mentally going through the list of things to describe based on acoustic, EM, IR, UV, radio-locator, hazard sensors and who knows what else is getting tiresome.

How would you deal with it?

And might as well also ask about the supernatural. Obviously your run-of-the-mill auspex doesn't have any psi-sensors or whatever but how does it react to spooky things? Would the acolyte hear moaning voice, the buzz of a thousand flies or detect spot sources of temperature akin to that of a star's surface? Does it only affect his mind while auspex is warp-proof unless something specifically messes with it? Where is the line?

Then there are psychic phenomena that affect materium, like rains of blood. Can you freaking collect it for analysis??? What would it show?
>>
>>44662914
Basically everything unless if it is a poor-quality auspex, then just choose one.
>>
Question about the DH2ed crafting system.
Is there anything to help determine the difficulty of the crafting process like how weapon mod attaching difficulty is determined by its availability or is it just up for the GM to decide? The crafting section doesn't really address this
>>
>>44662914
I have a similar player, everything must be scanned with an Auspex.
"I'm rolling perception against him, he looks suspect. +20 to perception from Auspex"
"You're holding the Auspex in this conversation?"
"Yeah, but covertly so he doesn't know I'm on to him".

When there genuinely isn't anything wrong ,I just say they recieve a regular reading. Nothing anomalous not concerning about their little informant aside from the little radio-signal on his ear and that's just a vox-piece.

When it involves the warp, I just give false readings. Areas may come up as completely different to what is perceived with the Auspex warning of high levels of radiation or poisonous vapours in the air when, aside from the Demon being summoned, there's really not a lot wrong.

If players try to gather any of this stuff for study, it's time to board the IP/CP train, destination enlightenment!
>>
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by magnitude of RT? I would love to run a game of rogue trader but at the same time the scale of it scares the shit out of me as a GM. Each PC has a clique of NPCs, an assortment of duties and a mass of story characters to interact with. How do you keep all of that in check and devote enough attention to each and every player?
>>
>>44663443
I have one like that too, I gave him a +10 awareness to spot things with his telescopic sight once, now he always assumes he gets it

"I look around to check our surroundings"
"Ok, roll awareness"
"Don't I get the bonus from the sight?"
"You're looking around in a forest at night, if anything I should give you a malus"
>>
>>44659896
A sort of mix of all the victories. Basically, Kyra's got beat by a combination of all the forces in the final mission, though the Blood Ravens were the ones to finally slay him.
Kapn Bludflagg now roams the sub sector attacking ships and looting them
Eliphas was granted Daemon Princedom and then left to rejoin the Word Bearers
The Eldar have largely left Aurelia, with only a few rangers still there.
Castor is over seeing the reconstruction of the sector's Imperial Guard forces.
Gabriel Angelos is chapter Master and the Blood Ravens are attempting to recoup their losses and get back up to a 1,000 Marines
The Tyranids were largely wiped out by the Exterminatus of Typhon Primaris, which was their primary infestation spot. However, there are reports of increased Genestealer activity, so the Hive Lord might be attempting to draw the attention of another Hive Fleet
>>
If, for instance, a Lord of Change got some Unnatural Willpower, would it gain bonus success on focus test from Unnatural Willpower even though it passes automatically with 1d5 degrees of success?
>>
>>44660902
>playing with low-tier fedoras who won't tolerate religious fanaticism while playing characters who are more likely to be religious fanatics of a similar caliber to the missionary you describe

Why play?
>>
>>44663443
Tell the asshole with an auspex to test Sleight of Hand against the other part of the conversation if there's anything relevant to be perceived from its use. Hope he has it trained. (Pro Tip: I actually hope he doesn't)
>>
>>44664548
So what if he exposes it? Won't prevent him from fondling his auspex the next time.
>>
>>44664605
>what the fuck is this nigga doing auspexing me when we were just having a friendly conversation
>word gets around
>reduction to subtlety
>more prominent acolyte group gets swarmed by cultist faggots or their catspaws of increasing competence
>>
>>44664621
>implying that's not what murderhobo'ing players wanted all along
>>
>>44664653
Good for them. Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid. Life in 40k is grim and goddamned dark, it's even more grim and hella fucking goddamned dark if you're stupid. They'll pay with their minds, lives, and souls if the GM is fucking competent.
>>
>>44653198
>Did you know that if you play a Mutant you have a 1/10,000 chance of rolling what amounts to a Daemon? 1 on Divination, Twisted Flesh, 100 on Mutation roll gets you a bunch of gnarly shit in addition to your starting mutation and trait.
This happened in my party already.
IOt went about as well as you would think.
>>
>>44664621

>post on /tg/ about how the awful, awful gm is keeping me down because I can't do whatever I want
>>
>>44658268
Infuse and improve all things technological with THE POWER OF THE WARP!
>>
>>44662598

But lore-wise its all based on Xeno-tech even if made by humans.
Moderate or radical inquisitors wouldn't care but Puritianical one would flip his shit.
>>
>>44662659
I'd imagine it would be more akin to a stronghold with a storefront, lest some gangers decide to help themselves to a free haul.
>>
>>44664458
I'd personally say he'd get the bonus as standard for unnaturals (i.e for every 2 a degree of success)
So if for some emperor damned reason it got Unnatural Willpower (2) I'd say it gets 1d5+1
However I have always given them the opportunity to either roll or get the automatic given that they can get a lot more if they roll, but they can also fail and get perils
But really though, why the fuck would a Lord of Change even need to be more overpowered? He has ALL powers at Psy Rating NINE
>>
>>44667109

But perils is funâ„¢!
>>
>>44662914
>>44663443
This is why I got an Auspex implant and usually only use it for the Awareness bonus and reroll.
>>
>>44667209
I never said they weren't
Especially if they get Grand Possession
>>
Question about Lightning Claws
They get an additional damage based on DoS
Now it says they get two if used in a pair
Now I assume this means that they get this bonus on a standard attack with the pair because why forgo use of both hands for nothing?
However how does this fit into usage of Swift/Lightning Attack, do they lose that bonus for the multiple attacks?
Additionally how does this work with Two Weapon Wielder, since they're two individual hits is the bonus unaffected?
>>
>>44668446

You get 3 attacks + 1 for TWW. Each attack can benefit from the DoS rolled on it. So if you roll 4 DoS on one attack, and 6 DoS on a second attack, for example, the first attack gets +8 damage, the second gets +12.
>>
Hi, I'm considering GMing Rogue Trader for some friends, and I'm hoping to have some resource management from the PCs, which I will prompt early on, but let them do it by themselves later. I have two questions for how this will go: Firstly, what kind of resource categories would a Rogue Trader have? Would it mostly just be armaments and staff? Or am I wrong? Anyways, secondly, I was thinking intially the PCs would have to rely on a reporter who would often have inaccurate information. Eventually, I'm hoping whoever does the tech thing for the team starts working on improving resource statistics accuracy. What sorts of things could there be to improve resource tracking in the 41st millenium? Thanks for anyone who has a good answer to the question.
>>
>>44670524

Consider Stars of Inequity. That has colony and resource tracking somewhat.
>>
>>44670589
Stars of Inequity? I just have the base Rogue Trader books, so care to enlighten me?
>>
>>44663565
Bump for the question.
>>
>>44670658

Regarding Rogue Trader, you have the Core Book, Into the Storm (more player options), Battlefleet Koronus (more ships).

Those are the three key books you should look into for a starter. Everything else is just book of enemies, books for playable xenos, and additional options.

Additional helpful books (but not strictly necessary) are Stars of Inequity (Colonies, Rare Loot, and Resource management sort of), Navis Primer (psyker stuff), and the books that introduce playable xenos.
>>
>>44670658
There is a boatload of splatbooks for Rogue Trader, all with pretty delicious things. Look at the book repository link in the OP

>>44670887
Navis Primer also has the way fluffier (not to mention !FUN!) rules for Warp travel, let's not forget that
>>
>>44667109
Just wondering since it does have access to Protean Form and can give itself up to 28 ranks of unnaturals.
>>
>>44670887
Right, so I've got a splatbook that'll help me on this. Good to know. Hopefully, I should be able to use it to help me figure out my version of resource management. Who knows, I might just use what's included in Stars of Inequity and expand upon it. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out what I should do. I'll probably see if there's any necron rules somewhere. I fucking love necrons.
>>
>>44671060

Rules for Necrons as adversaries can be found in Black Crusade's Tome of Fate, or Deathwatch The Outer Reach. I recommend Deathwatch's Necrons, as they are more toned down and codex-compliant in comparison to the Black Crusade version.
>>
>>44671165
Welp, guess I'll have to get some splats from all the WH40k games, since it seems there's a lot of material that can, thankfully, be used in other games. Time for a splatbook shopping spree!
>>
If you were a person of wealth and you really hated a person, but couldn't outright kill them, would you give them two poor-quality plasma pistols with the forearm weapon mounting upgrade?
>>
>>44671165
Deathwatch is more toned down than Black Crusade? How so?
>>
>>44672291
No, I'd offer him a ticket to a paradise planet and have him bundled into a shuttle and marooned on a dead planet. Just the way he left me. The way he left her. Buried alive...buried alive...
>>
>>44672291
I would challenge them to a duel over some slight or other. They get the poor quality plasma pistol, I get a flintlock.
>>
File: 1248177974788.jpg (138 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1248177974788.jpg
138 KB, 604x453
Hey, /40k/, let's revel in cheese for a moment.
I find coming up with ways to do silly stuff rather entertaining.
My recent idea is jokaero-modified sentinel plasma rifle from (S/5/10 1d10+5 E pen 3) from Enemies Within supplement.

- Might shot (+3 bonus damage assuming BS 50+)
- Weapon tech (+3 bonus damage assuming int 30+)

Providing we happen to obtain desired roll on jokaero modification table and our rifle now has accurate quality, we have a chance to dish out up to 3d10+11 pen 6 damage in one shot.
Much better than sniper rifle/long las and also capable of full and semi-automatic fire.

Another idea I had was to get Talented (Commerce) talent and use FP to automatically pass the test equal to player's intelligence bonus. This gives significant boost to influence aquisition rolls

What are your ideas?

>inb4 I'l ban it hurr durr
That's more of a mental exercise, calm your tits.
>>
>>44672572
>Talented
You mean Mastery?
>>
>>44672647
yeah, my bad. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>44672572
I'l ban it hurr durr
>>
>>44672572
MIU link allows you to fire linked weaponry as a free action.
This will allow you to combine aim action with called shot, effectivelly nullifying the penalty.
>>
>>44672572
Let's have some real fun with this and say, through god-tier rolls, you get that Plasma gun equipped with
>Accurate
>Proven 3
>Razor Sharp
>Best Craftsmanship
So 3d10+11 damage, minimum 20 damage, Pen 12 on a solid hit, and never jams or misfires.
>>
>>44672572
Why the fuck are you using a Sentinel Plasma Rifle as a base gun? You're literally better off talking your GM into letting you have an S/2/4 bolter. Or a Triplex lasrifle, for fuck's sake.
>Through science, they discover how to make a plasma gun that never overheats and is full auto
>Cool, cool.
>Has equivalent damage to a bolter and no Maximal setting
>Literally why did you even fucking bother. Living.
>>
File: Fried on Electrical Wires.gif (2 MB, 266x239) Image search: [Google]
Fried on Electrical Wires.gif
2 MB, 266x239
>>44672572

Take a Xenarch Death Arc. Apply every single Ork upgrade to it at once.Every. Single. One.

This was the Rubbykonzes (Rubicon)-pattern Wavebuster. It was a weapon of last resort, even to those who created it.
>>
>>44670993
I generally do not allow daemons to use corruption disciplines as they usually represent the user allowing the warp to overtake him (literally) and grant him the powers of the beyond
If the being in question is already a being of the beyond it wouldn't make much sense to get that boon
Although you could easily handwave it as the being becoming more of it's true self as it exists in the immaterium rather than the limited corporal form limited by the veil
>>
Stat me /tg/
>>
>>44673746
They're probably statted in one of the Deathwatch books
>>
>>44673809
Sadly it is not as far as I can find, mycetic spore sure, but no spore mines
And I am uncreative/ don't know the tabletop rules
>>
>>44675019
They're sort of statted on page 186 of The Jericho Reach as a Biovore weapon. Check out the weapon stats and the Living Bombs special rule.
>>
Do you ever use overwatch?
>>
>>44677882
I did once, in the first session of the first game I ever played in.

Then I never saw anyone ever use it again.
>>
File: chaos cultists.jpg (116 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
chaos cultists.jpg
116 KB, 873x627
You see I never got this "GW wants to sell more than a dozen minis" argument. Every game of all the specialist systems I played your warbands eventually became really large. In a couple of gaming circles I played in we started experimenting with insurgent networks and warbands. Still small skirmish gaming but where we scaled it up to 2 or 3 units. It didn't seem like it would be that hard for GW to scale these games up into the the range of 36 models and a few rickety vehicles. It felt like something you could do really easy with an expansion box.
Then your Necormunda militia/mercenary/cult insurgency could be an auxiliary to your Guard army, fodder for your Chaos Marines, Or combine a couple of these irregular groups to make self styled bandit army or some kind of space pirates. Sure they would be squishy, but they would be cheep point costs and GW could sell mountains of them. The whole idea would be hugely customizable and it wouldn't unbalance the game because the basis of all these irregular factions would always be jobber level dudes. None of them would ever get to the level of power armor or Lemon Russes.

The idea is even easier through the lenses of Gorka Morka. Hell it would just look like your average Ork army.

I can see the counter argument where people have to keep track of every leg wound or equipment variation. But it just seems like a point/currency system could eventually purchase your unit some kind of elite status that would be reflected in the squads stats, moral, and equipment. The original gang would buy/recruit new squads of jobbers that maybe didn't have as much autonomy if you scaled it down to a skirmish level or acted as sentries. When you scaled thing back up to play with the big boys you would maybe have one auxiliary command unit that was your original gang and a couple of jobber units that marines could eat for breakfast. The mere role playing aspect of it would push people to expand their collection
>>
>>44678469
Wrong thread, broseph.
>>
How often does your party use grenades in an engagement?
>>
>>44680115
When I GM? Very rarely.

However when I play, I always get about 10 of every type of grenade I can buy, then carry around a grenade launcher.
It's fun to headshot people with Krak Grenades.

Or if I'm playing Rogue Trader.
Micro-grenades.
Those marble sized miracles are worth every throne.
>>
>>44680115
Close to routinely, frag grenades get used like water around here if we're facing clustered enemies.
>>
So I actually just had a really crazy session of RT that had some pretty funny/cool things happen and I will list them now.
Had a firefight with a giant wasp. We had brought 10 armsmen, 9 of them got dead and the youngest one was swallowed whole.
We rescued the armsen from the belly of the beast after killing it the very next action. Overnight the kid metamorphosed into a grizzled veteran with a cigar and white hair.
Some time later we run into some eldar buildings, The only character with any knowledge of xenos lore fails his roll with a 99 and identifies the structures as opulent orkish housing built from teefbone.
awhile after that we went to climb the structure.
RT rolls a 99 and gets stuck a foot off the ground because he gets scared, rolls a second 99 and fails a willpower test and has to have someone pick him up and carry him up the wall.
It was a rather embarrassing moment and there were girls watching.
>>
>>44680849
>opulent orkish housing built from teefbone
I love this.
The rest... I guess you would have had to have been there.
>>
>>44680849
>3 99s
Did you anger tzeentch?
>>
How quickly does your party burn through ammo?
>>
For an administratum character, should I go with a laspistol or stub automatic from my background?
>>
>>44683476
A well provisioned light infantry regiment has 6 charge packs per player, even in long patrols they end up with half their ammo at worst
>>
>>44684754
I believe a Stub would be better, more ammo types mean you can be relevant against different enemy types.
>>
>>44684754
Stub.
>>
Im planning on having a plot twist in my campaign, where the PC's are trying to uncover a romour that a large group of mutants are in posession of a powerfull xeno artifact. But the plot twist would be that it is infact a lesser C'tan shard that is using the mutants in order to controll the planet. So it can feed on the inhabitants without therm struggling.
But I do not know if the PC's can handle even a lesser C'tan shard.
Any advice and tips would be great.
>>
>>44685251
The game is Dark Heresy by the way
>>
>>44685251
>But I do not know if the PC's can handle even a lesser C'tan shard.
Fuck no.
>>
>>44685251
Have them GTFO can call in the Deathwatch.
>>
>>44685292
Perhaps I can have them help hold the line against some mutants, with the local PDF supporting them. While the deathwatch of the Ordo Xenos inquisitor they are serving just walks past them and shrugs of all the pellets (autogun slugs) that hits them while they move in to engage the Shard
>>
>>44685319
Personally I'd just use some other form of Xenos relic.
The Halo Artifacts practically exist for this reason.
A C'tan shard has all kinds of implications, and an expected ludicrous power level attached to it.

Also avoid using the Deathwatch if at all possible. At least in situations where the PCs actually want to do something. They are supposed to be the stars of the show, and it's all too easy to put them in a situation where they wonder why they're even there when you introduce the God-Emperor's Angels of Death.
>>
>>44685387
Well, ideally the PCs would try to stop such things before they even start or at least before it gets to the point where the Deathwatch has to be called in.
>>
>>44685438
Yeah, because that ever happens.
>>
>>44684754
Stub because you can autistically keep track of every single bullet.
>>
>>44685438
Yeah that'll never happen. Lesser C'tan shards can destroy cities easily, if even a regular shard is capable of draining suns and destroying planets, why would a lesser C'tan shard be so drastically weaker?

Just use a Halo Device anon, like >>44685387
said. Halo's is perfect for a personal villain, go with it.
>>
>>44685319
>>44685387
>>44685438
Or you know, he could just have the players make Deathwatch characters and let them use those in the final fight.
>>
File: JaffaStaffWeapon.png (81 KB, 800x555) Image search: [Google]
JaffaStaffWeapon.png
81 KB, 800x555
How would you stat a Jaffa Staff weapon for Dark Heresy/rogue trader?
>>
>>44686286
A slightly shittier Kroot Rifle with Impact damage when melee and Energy when ranged.
>>
>>44609917

Remember, Ordos aren't solid hierarchies. They basically just identify an inquisitor's specialty. Faction is closer to that, really.
>>
>>44665798

Not all Puritans are extremists. They might just be displeased or learn to deal with it. We once had a Thorian who understood that daemon princes will return if you simply kill them, and basically had a heretek build him some ghostbusters-style equipment to take them out of circulation.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.