[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 3
File: 1387498193378.jpg (449 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1387498193378.jpg
449 KB, 1920x1080
Gremlins Edition

books;
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG
>>
Bayou gators, yay or nay?
>>
Is there anyplace where all of the fiction is collected?
>>
>>44597900
I don't have a link, but I think Wyrd did a podcast covering all the fiction up to the 2nd release.
>>
>>44597597

Would be cool.
>>
>>44598120
Ignoring the trap that is Drag Under, they seem good, 5ss minion with Melee Expert, a 3" push, and a pseudo-execution. But they never get mentioned.
>>
>>44598512

When do they come out?
>>
>>44598820
Sometime after February but not too far afterwards, since they were available during the Black Friday sale.
>>
>>44597597
They compete with Lightning Bugs at the 5ss slot, and for just a bit more you can get a Rooster Rider (or a Waldgeist if you're playing Zoraida).

They're not really bad, but they've got some very strong competition.
>>
I've just gotten some stuff and the first figure I am painting is The Judge. I've gotten it pretty decent but I gave him a dark blue/green coat. How to I bring out the detail in that? A standard black or brown wash won't work and I'm not sure what color would be best to use on the dry brush. And suggestions?
>>
I'm interested getting into the game with Tara cus she seems like the coolest master and I wanted to play her mainly as outcasts. Is there another crew box that synergises particularly well with hers or just complements her weaknesses?

I've also udnerstood Killjoy is an amazing model to have with Tara so I'll most likely pick that us aswell.
>>
>>44601030
I would layer up with progressively lighter shades of blue. Just mix a little light blue into your original darker color, paint a thin coat around the edges, then mix in a little more and repeat. Keep it a little wet so the colors blend a bit instead of making obvious layers.

>>44602543
In addition to Killjoy the models in the Hired Guns box go well with most Outcasts, especially the Librarian.

Hannah is also a good buy, and she's Freikorps too so she'll be good with the Hired Guns crew.

Finally, Tara can hire Death Marshals out of faction and Karina can summon Resser horrors. That's a bit of a rabbit hole, especially the horrors, but Death Marshals *are* very solid models (and copying Pine Box with Hannah is just mean).
>>
File: Gremlin Rooster Rider.jpg (30 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
Gremlin Rooster Rider.jpg
30 KB, 500x354
>>44600776

>Rooster Rider

HOLY FUCK!

When do those guys get released???
>>
>>44600776
That's seems to be Gremlins problem, a lot of good, cheap stuff that all compete for the same spots.
>>
>>44598089
>>44597900
http://www.breachsidebroadcast.com/

Official reading of the Malifaux fluff, in chronological order. They're currently getting into book 3 of first edition.
>>
>>44604231
No models yet, unless you count the easter-model
>>
>>44602715
>mix a little light blue into your original darker color
What about using white instead of a lighter blue
>>
>>44604231
They weren't for sale during Black Friday if I recall, so probably not for a while. In the meantime, uh... proxy them with Bayou Gators?

>>44604243
Well that, and a couple stand out Rare 1 models that you take with basically every master.

Basically every single Gremlin master is going to hire at least two of Lenny, Francois, Trixiebelle, or Gracie (and a Slop Hauler). Those models are just so good it's hard to leave them out of your core.
>>
>>44605709

You really don't want to use white in your mix. Ideally you want to use a matching color in your mix, as it looks more natural and gets better-looking results. It's also easier to get back to that mix should the paint dry out which, unless you're using a wet pallet, will inevitably happen.

If you must, go for an off-white color rather than pure white. Something like a cream color works better if you're blending to a more white hue.
>>
Who here is playing Through the Breach?

What faction would your character be as a TT master/how would they play?
>>
>>44605709
Mixing in white will make the color chalky or pastel as opposed to just a lighter shade.
>>
>>44606713
>>44605760
Would any type of lighter blue work? Obviously it is better the closer it is to the original but blue is not a color I have much of atm.
>>
>>44605793
He wouldn't be a master yet as we haven't had enough sessions but he is an Oxfordian Mage and so of course is with the Arcanists.
While he has a lot of book smarts he is an absolute idiot when it comes to living in the real world and constantly gets himself and the party into trouble due his loud mouth, terrible plans, poor logic and awful tact when it comes to diplomacy.
>>
So I just picked up Ironsides, and I'm wondering what models in her box would synergize well with Collete? I'm thinking the captain for sure, but otherwise I'm not sure if the mages are worth understudying at all.
>>
Started Kirai this year. All of my wat. She has so much to do, I can't decide what to focus on.
>>
How's this strike you guys for a typical Hamelin list?

50ss Crew

Hamelin -- 6ss
+Survivalist - 1ss
+The Piper - 2ss
+The Plague - 2ss
Malifaux Rat - 2ss
Malifaux Rat - 2ss
Malifaux Rat - 2ss
Nix - 8ss
+Hollow - 2ss
Obedient Wretch - 4ss
Rat Catcher - 6ss
Rat Catcher - 6ss
Sue - 8ss
>>
Masters: Collodi, Lilith, Lynch, Zoraida

Henchmen: Bad Juju, Barbaros, Hungering Darkness, Nekima, Widow Weaver, Vasilisa

Totems: Cherub, Marionette, Primordial Magic, Voodoo Doll

Enforcers: Doppleganger, Mr Graves

Minions: The Illuminated, Mysterious Effigy, Silurids, Terror Tots, Waldgeists, Wicked Dolls

Arcane Effigy, Hodgepodge Effigy, Lucky Effigy, Coryphee

So here's my Neverborn collection at present. Next on my list are the Brutal Effigy, Mr Tannen, and the Beckoners. Any recommendations on something I should also pick up soon? I figure I'll add at least the Pandora and Dreamer crews to the roster eventually.
>>
>>44609428
The only issue I'm seeing is a lack of good options for Sue to put Finish the Job on. Most models in that list are insignificant, will primarily die via sacrifice (and not trigger finish the job as a result), or both. Pretty much your only options for that are Nix and Catchers, since you really don't want to bank on Hamelin dying. I'd find a different model to use that 8 SS on.
>>
>>44609627

He's there for ranged output, really.
>>
>>44609583
Mr. Tannen, Depleted, and Stitched (not out yet, of course, but Reaper Stitch Golems or any Puppet Wars models would look good) are all solid inclusions. Mr. Tannen fucks with cheating, Depleted are cheap tarpit minions, and Stitched are fucking disgusting.
>>
>>44609722
I'd rather have a Convict or Hans in that case.
>>
>>44610017

Stitched do look nasty. How effective are their attack actions in practice? Seems like you'd probably want to save the damaging one for late turn when your enemy's less capable of cheating.
>>
>>44610693
3/4/7 damage is enough to either force your opponent to cheat or save cards. At Ca6 all you have to do is tie, which means it's way easier for you to win against the vast majority of models. And, worst case, you fail and take a bit of damage. You've got Hard to Kill and pick up Reactivate should you drop to 1 wound. Great disposable models. They can do crazy damage and don't cost much themselves.

And you can get some card draw if you need it, which is also handy.
>>
>>44609428
You're hiring too many rats and catchers, if you bring three rats you can have a rat catcher on the first turn anyway.

Also, take a Stolen over two rats. You can just pop him on the first turn to get your two rats anyway, and you'll save two stones.

I would drop a catcher, turn two rats into a Stolen, and use your eight new points to buy something nice like a Freikorps Librarian or Hans.

>>44610042
Hans goes really well with Hamelin since he doesn't randomize shooting into engagements (And Anna has the same benefit, I think). When so many things are going to be engaged with rats, that's a pretty nice bonus for your ranged support.
>>
>>44610914

Sounds good, thanks.
>>
Are either half of the starter box's models worth getting? They all seem terrible as mercs, and even in-faction seem outclassed.
>>
>>44615608
Grimwell is pretty solid. Nimble and that 4/6/10 attack is very handy. Good for running stuff like Entourage or just murdering scheme runners. Ml7 and min damage 4 means he's one-shotting stuff like Tots, Bayous, Hounds, and so on.

Orderlies are decent healbots in Guild.

Wretches are great with Dreamer. He can set them up with Fast, so they can do their Tactical then Charge for + flips, extra damage, and card draw.

Scion has expensive condition removal, but it doesn't take AP and removes all conditions.

I like Angel Eyes a lot, but she has stiff competition from McTavish and Hans.

I'd say not essential, but can be useful.
>>
>>44615869

Holy shit, dat 4/6/10.
>>
>>44616434
It is a (2) action, so effectively 2/3/5
>>
>>44616494
Except against Armor.
>>
>>44615869
Angel Eyes does have the benefit of being 2 stones cheaper than McTavish in a Neverborn force. Hans is a little trickier, but she does have the mobility on him and plays a little better up close if things go wrong.
>>
>>44616776
But it performs better with focus. It's almost tempting to hire him in TT so Yu can Airburst + focus him upfield to get into lobotomy range.

...until you realize at 10ss you could hire a Dawn Serpent or Shadow Emissary instead.
>>
>>44616776
Fair enough
>>
>>44605667
Those were rabbits
War wabbits
>>
File: derby_malal.jpg (75 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
derby_malal.jpg
75 KB, 576x1024
>>44623072
He's talking about this model from several years back
>>
How's Marcus as a first leader?
>>
>>44625743
I've heard he can be tricky.
>>
Man, for newer models the plastic Coryphee have some serious gap issues.
>>
Individually, how well do the Horsemen work with Leveticus? I know Mechanical Rider's considered great, at least, even after the Gamin nerf.
>>
>>44628614
You'll probably look at the Mech Rider the most. I've heard good things about Pale and Dead. I don't know a lot about Hooded.
>>
>>44628614
The mech rider is incredible, the others aren't really needed in a Levi list IMO.

I've seen a guy at the local store start taking the Hodgepodge Emissary with Levi so that he can hire the mech rider and still take Paraiah of bone to hire in rotten belles. Even with the Outcast emissary not being that exciting, its totally worth spending 10 stones on it just to be given the opportunity to hire in the mech rider.

You can always turn it into the dead/hooded rider after its activated and passed out a trinket too.

It looks pretty disgusting to be honest.
>>
>>44625743
Good enough.
He has some tricks, non-specific synergy (beast are the only required box), a good box, easy to see additions, can both play objective (with buffs and his units having lure) and aggressive, can take and deal damage by himself.
The beginner unfriendly parts are the fact your selection are bloated (go arcanist for now) and that you need to keep track of some things.
>>
>>44625743
If you're playing other newer players then expect to completely dominate anyone who isn't playing Perdita, Von Schill or the Viks.

Marcus can hire in some really nasty beaters, and Myranda is really, really good, and criminally underplayed by most arcanist players. At worst she's a cheaper blessed of december, or a sabretooth cerberus that gets a free move before it activates for the first time. And if you stick imbued energies on her then i think she's borderline too good for the amount of stones she costs.
>>
>>44629926

Spinning off of this, what're the key Pariah of Bone hires? Belles and Sybelle are amazing, of course, but what else is there that can do stuff you can't already find in Outcasts?
>>
>>44629930
>>44630021

Thanks, guys! I've got prior wargame experience so I'm not going in blind, but I appreciate the advice. Thought about grabbing Blessed and some Waldgeists along with the crew box.
>>
>>44630024
Doxies have a similar function to Belles and can be anchors too. Students are good situational hires and can be anchors. Drowned have Finish the Job and can mess with severe terrain. Crooligans and Necropunks are great scheme runners.
>>
So I'm running a nearly default Mei Feng list as follows.

Mei Feng
-Vapormancy
-Seismic Claws
-Price of Progress

Emberling

Kang
-Hard Worker
-People's Challenge

Rail Golem
-Imbued Protection

Rail Worker
Rail Worker
Rail Worker

Now I'm doing pretty well against most of my opponents (particularly against a Ramos crew and a Nicodem crew, for obvious reasons) but the owner of the Ramos crew loves to pull his Rasputina crew on nearly every scenario that relies on seizing and taking locations.

They're an absolute and utter pain in the ass to face off against and I'm almost always reliant on hoping there's some distant schemes I can run a Rail Worker around terrain to reach once out of the killzone. What's a good way to stop Rasputina from wrecking me? She's relying on a lot of units with Absolute Zero(?), the ability that ends turns on melee attacks, tying them up with Snowstorm and other obnoxious exploding minions.

I've won the last game but it's been close, and getting locked down so hard in mid-field is making other scenarios look really worrying.
>>
>>44630024
Rotten Belles are enough really.

Maybe Izamu is worth it? He's pretty durable and hits hard, but Ashes and Dust is even more durable, and you can do some cool tricks by splitting it into the storm snd core to contest 2 areas or put scheme markers on the other side of the board at a moments notice.

Same is true for most other ressur models, there's normally an outcast faction model that is almost as good, if not better for the same amount of stones.
>>
>>44630181
>>44630093
Forgot about Doxies, they're sometimes worth it if you don't think you have enough anchors. But honestly i think Leve makes better use of Belles.

Doxies are better at moving friendly models around than belles, but Leve can abuse his ressurrection mechanics to teleport around the battlefield anyway, so the ridiculous ca 8 lure on the belles can be abused to the fullest by yanking enemy models scross the board to be melted.

Belles are also one of the few models where the more of them you hire, the better they become. Luring 1 model once or twice is good. Luring 1 model 4 -6 times all the way across the board in 1 turn after it has activated can be backbreaking.
>>
>>44630172
Stacking vent steam is your friend.

Raspy isnt nearly as firghtening when shes on triple negatives on her attacks. Just make sure that there isnt a model outside the steam bubble but still close enough that she can target to use to drop blast markers onto models inside the bubble to get around it.
>>
>>44630172
Malifaux raptors, and soulstone miners are your friends. Anything that can unbury close to raspy and force her to waste ap disengaging from melee is worth it. Raptors in particular are infuriating to deal with ss they can drop out of the sky right on top of her.
>>
Anyone have experience with Yan Lo? I'm really interested in his theme, but playerbase feelings on him seem so mixed. What would I be getting myself into?
>>
So I got a tournament later this month. I got the following. What am I missing or what do I focus on?

Viks
Sue
Hans
Johan
Vanessa
Hannah
Burt Jebsen
Student of Conflict
Aionus
Taelor
Bishop
3x Ronin
2x Desperate Mercs
>>
>>44630255
The big thing I like about doxies is that they really help a lot with waif positioning. They let you get them out of danger without using up the waif's activation (so they can later activate and move back up near an anchor). You can also use them to reposition alyce for a rapid fire, but i tend to just burn oath keeper if i need to do that.
>>
>>44630297
Wait wait wait wait.

You can STACK Vent Steam? Holy shit. I had no idea. That's a gamechanger- I can use Kang and the Rail Golem as my hitters and just let them clean up.

Fantastic. Thanks so much.
>>
>>44631191
He's got a steep learning curve but he's pretty scary when played well. Stack up Chi, acquire upgrades, become unkillable, disrupt the enemy.
>>
>>44632036

Hm. Any particular models outside his theme that are important to get?
>>
How big a priority is it to pick up Teddy, for Neverborn?
>>
>>44632818
Nurses and Belles are always good if you're playing him as Resser. He'd also probably like out of theme scheme runners, Crooligans or Necropunks in Ressers and Tengu or Torakage probably in TT.
>>
>>44633238
Unless you play dreamer, low
>>
>>44633908

Oh?
>>
>>44633954
Df 2 is too much of a liability
>>
>>44634891

Df 3, 11 Wounds, Impossible to Wound, and Regen 2?
>>
>>44635050
He dies super fast despite the Impossible to wound/regen. Sure he will likely only get hit for min damage but he will almost always get hit for min damage. it adds up and without the healing from Dreamer he tends to die a bunch. (I do like him with Pandora but he is by no means required).
>>
>>44635416

Fair enough.
>>
>>44635416
That and the fact he can do a lot of damage, so he's a priority target.
>>
If Teddy gets focused down, why does Dreamer's little bit of healing make such a difference?
>>
>>44636433
Dreamer can potentially heal a model for 9 wounds every turn if you spend the whole turn healing with Empty Night.

Even if you don't do that, because it's silly, you've got a 6" push with a Ml attack attached to it which will really help Teddy get in and earn his points before he inevitably goes down.

Also, On Dreaming Wings on either Teddy or another nightmare does more work in a Dreamer crew than it usually does with other masters.
>>
How do these two setups look? Is one better suited than the other?

Pandora -- 5ss
+Voices - 1ss
+Fugue State - 2ss

Pandora -- 4ss
+The Box Opens - 2ss
+Fears Given Form - 1ss
+Aether Connection - 1ss

Primordial Magic - 2ss
Doppleganger - 7ss
+Depression - 1ss
Sorrow - 5ss
Sorrow - 5ss
Sorrow - 5ss
Teddy - 11ss
+Retribution's Eye - 1ss
Widow Weaver - 8ss
>>
>>44637963
Depends on the strategy.

Fugue state is great, but it's best when the enemy has to group up to score, so extraction or guard the stash, combined with lots of scheme marker schemes. If it's something like recon, where the enemy are spreading out then it's (imo) not worth it.

I also don't think 3 sorrows are required. They're quite fragile, so spending a lot of stones on multiples of them is always a bit hard to justify for me. 1 or 2 has always been enough. 1 of them could become a terror tot and another 1ss upgrade, or 2 of them could become candy and another 1ss upgrade.
>>
>>44631191
Yan Lo is a tricky one one. He supports, grows stronger and can switch positions. He can always take Retainers (Onryo in Kirai box and Ashigaru in his are RESSER ONLY). Furthermore he has one upgrade which can resummon killed ancestor.
One of his most common uses I ffound was as a disrupter using lightning dance to fuck with the enemy and late game his toughness to survive the game.
With onryos he can even deal good damage through adversary but that normally requires setup.
Commonly forum people are idiots, they rate TT lower in general and like to use the most obvious tactics. (But getting better)
If you starting new do mind that his crew is rather low SS so getting another ancestor (iizumi, daiymo or yin) is advisable so you can easily play 35 ss beginner size, if you want to have even more freedom get all three after a couple of games (then decide if you want to expand)
Gameplay wise at first you might be confused, he won't seem so tough, damage dealing or even great in support as some other masters but lighting dance is superb, his spells does become more accurate and lastly his upgrade makes him immensly tough.
Also try to get in touch with your nearest henchman.
>>44631476
If you got time and want to, getting a second crew might help in some of the missions the viks are usually struggling.
Otherwise the only fun combo I also use is Lazarus and Vanessa, great for getting rid of pesty gremlins or ressers.
>>44632818
Nothing is really important besides some ancestors.
But he does like punk zombies as he can set up flurry easily and the daiymo can take them regardless of faction and can even summon them, and he likes onryos to hand out adversary which can provide some positive flip when needed.
Outside these models ( who are always takeable) it depends on the faction.
Resser: Hanged or Nurses who can heal the tough models or grant bonus to those in melee ( easy to achieve with lightning dance) while chiaki can then take away those debuffs.
>>
>>44639481
>>44637963
Also, insidious madness(es?) [Not sure on how to pluralise that] are much tougher than sorrows, and work well with them, or just instead if them.
>>
Are there any Ressur players out there who can explain why I never see Seamus on the tabletop?

Even in very killy strat and scheme pools people tend to err towards Nicodem, molly, or Kirai. (Sometimes McMourning if there's frame for murder in the scheme pool)

I haven't played much with ressurs, and never with Seamus, but I think he looks good. Am I missing something? Or is it just local player bias?
>>
>>44641360

He's honestly pretty boring compared to the other masters. He lacks a real close connection with the rest of his crew unless you base heavily on willpower and horror checks.

He's not bad, but he lacks a nice mechanical draw.
>>
>>44643860
I guess that's true, but that's true for the Viks, or Misaki too, and they're both killy masters that see local play.

Well... Misaki, not as much, but the Viks are very popular.
>>
Any Collodi players here? I'd be curious to hear what his gameplan is when running Bag of Props. What are you looking to DO, exactly?
>>
How is Into the Steam and Northern Aggression? Anybody have pdfs?
>>
>>44646997
I don't have PDFs, but here's my short review of them both:

Into the Steam: A lot of cool new rules. The new careers are neat, though some of the advanced pursuits are a bit less than your usual PC material (two December careers). New crafting rules and equipment is good, and the updated bestiary is cool (there are rules for hazards that make attacks, as well as rules for mobs). The alleigance system and Invested are neat, but I dislike that you have a 1/4 chance of just ending up a construct whether you want it or not (though you've got a hand to cheat with to try to remove that if you like). Alleigance has similar problems, where it tells you who you owe alleigance to rather than letting you set that up yourself. Both of those I'm personally houseruling to be options.

Northern Aggression: An interesting new method of doing the mini-campaign modules, with multiple options the GM can pick (or flip for) for the behind-the-scenes antagonist pulling the strings. Personally cross some of the most terrifying people/entities in Malifaux! It handles the differences between the "Patrons" of the antagonists well, periodically calling out when something would be different based on a different antagonist. That said, as a module it's pretty susceptible to spoilers, so I would avoid reading it if you intend to play in it.

Overall, they're both really good and I recommend them. Also, in Into the Steam you can buy the same gun Seamus uses.
>>
>>44647282
Sounds exciting. Any maps or handouts? The map was sort of important in Defence of Innocence. This was an issue for me because I like having the campaign in a physical book however my groups have all been online. I purchased the PDF because downloads were scarce (as they seem to be this time around unfortunately) but I don't really want to buy something twice again.
>>
>>44647407
There's a map for Ridley, just a general district overview. There might be others, let me check.
>>
>>44647631
>>44647407
Wait, you meant in the physical copy. Nothing that isn't in the books themselves.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.