[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 20
File: 1452037522853.jpg (58 KB, 700x541) Image search: [Google]
1452037522853.jpg
58 KB, 700x541
>>
File: Not Again.jpg (293 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Not Again.jpg
293 KB, 1280x960
>>44595927
Please don't waste time with threads like these.
>>
File: 1431675714181.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1431675714181.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1080
Given the Space Marines can be killed by the fucking Tau of all people if you gave a Spartan a high powered weapon like the Tau have then I'm sure a Spartan could beat a Space Marine in combat.

Given I'm the UNSC still uses shit like 7.62 in the 2500s only shit like the Spartan Laser or Railgun from the UNSC arsenal would probably come close to packing enough punch.
>>
>>44595927
Depends on the chapter
>>
>>44595927
i'm seeing double

four master chiefs
>>
what's the difference?
>>
>>44595968
>Given the Spartans can be killed by the fucking Unggoy of all people if you gave a Space Marine a high powered weapon like the Unggoy have then I'm sure a Space Marine could beat a Spartan in combat.

See how retarded your shit is? The thread is about FLUFF power, not what would wreck them on the tabletop or video game. You think a spartan hasent had his shit pushed in by little alien gribblies? If that were true there wouldnt be so fucking many halo games, we would have won already.
>>
File: Forerunner.jpg (40 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Forerunner.jpg
40 KB, 640x360
>>44595927
Forerunner Warrior-Servants here, we're enjoying a good laugh.
>>
Depending on your version of Spartan, they're either the equivilant of a space marine scout in power armor or a Kasrkin in Power Armor. SPARTAN 2s, trained from the age of 5 and augmented, are easily the equivilant of a brother scout. Lacking only some of the more esoteric space marine augments.

Mark 3s are regular elite soldiers in Mjollinor, and can be considered equivilant to a stormtrooper in power armor.

Spartan VIs aren't trained from childhood, but have more advanced augments and armor than the IIs did, making them roughly equivilant.

In all cases, one on one, a full battle brother comes out superior.
>>
Spartan Laser or Energy Sword wins.
>>
>>44597511
Energy swords are not standard Spartan gear, even if they were a Power Sword would be able to handle it.
>>
>>44597498
Spartan 2s are close to Space Marine level, but I think the marines are still bigger and more durable. Depending on the Marine chapter the Spartans might have a tactical advantage. Their armor is more "high tech" too, and includes shields. The Marine's armor is powered, thicker, and they have better weapons.

Assuming a SM Tactical squad and a unit of 10 Spartan 2s were to fight it would come down to the SM chapter's tactics and the environment.

The later model Spartans stand no chance though.
>>
>>44595927
Spartan II, as the picture suggests it is, is 8 feet tall on average.
Space Marines are 7.
>>
>>44595927
First of all, you'll get more replies over on >>>/v/.
Secondly, the Astartes wins, unless the spartan is named. But a named astartes will beat a named spartan.
>>
>>44599433
I think you've got that mixed up. Space marines are taller than spartan II.
>>
>>44599433
SM height varies from chapter to chapter. Alpha Legion marines were known for being really tall.
>>
>>44599461
Not according to both canons.
Spartan 2s are, according to canon, eight feet tall on average.
Space Marines are, according to canon, seven feet tall on average.

A Spartan 2 is, according to both Halo and 40K Canon, an average of a foot taller.
>>
>>44597893
Well by the time of halo 4 advances were made where spartan IVs with the latest armor could match a spartan II. There were also some experiments done trying to make unarmored spartan IVs that could match an armored spartan II but the project was scrapped due to high mortality rate and the augments causing mental instability.
>>
>>44599465
>Implying BL fanfics are more canon then GW's own words on the matter.
>>
>>44599557
>Implying canon
>>
>>44599535
But that would be metal as fuck
>>
>>44599530
Except that's wrong, spartan IIs are in the upper six foot range out of armor (john 117 was 6ft 10 inches out of armor for instance) and in armor they are about 7 feet tall.
Astartes on the other hand are far more varied in height, with an average out of armor height of about 7 feet, though some are in the 8 foot range.
>>
>>44599557
>GW's own words on the matter
To quote the slavic roosterposters of the 40k general of days past you would ceritanly be able to provide proofs to back up this claim?
>>
>>44599465
What? Alpha Legion marines were known for being really short, the better to infiltrate.
>>
>>44599557
Even in Codex canon there are mentions of loyalist marines that tower over their brethren.

Like Arjac Rockfist who is a giant among marines. Space Marine draw from different populations and each population has different genetics and reactions to geneseed.

This should fucking go without saying but I guess retards gonna tard.
>>
>>44597196
i hate how 343 seems like they recruit a bunch of fuck ups

>retcon forerunners to look alien

>try to make EU an important part of the game's cannon (while it didn't matter in bungie's halo) because that worked out so well for gears of war, mass effect & star wars

>replace firefight with an episodic campaign that's not as good as the mode it replaces

>be deathly afraid to include firefight in future games because it's not E-sports

>release anthology of all the games in the main series but forget 2 games (although one of those games got included as an apology) and a few modes & content that were part of include games

>said anthology had online problems that took a couple of month to fix and had to include one of the game they forgot as an apology

>turn halo into a poor man's COD

>not include split screen (a feature that's been a mainstay in the series) for halo 5
>>
>>44595927
Pretty sure that this has been thoroughly answered with "40k goes so far past the even horizon into unreasonable that it's pointless to compare it to shit"

Unless you want to go equally bullshit with stuff like The Culture or Star Wars.
>>
File: Arjac_Rockfist.png (277 KB, 489x639) Image search: [Google]
Arjac_Rockfist.png
277 KB, 489x639
>>44599895
I mean look at the CSM, who are supposed to be swollen by Chaos corruption, compared to him.

They are so tiny!
>>
>>44599941
So that explains why the CSM codex is so bad, there all manlets. When will they ever learn?
>>
Tactics, is all about tactics... and some luck
>>
>>44599931
The culture is far past equally. There are quite a few universes that compete with 40k or can beat it.
>>
I once saw a post from an anon taking a few canon numbers and did the math.
I can't remember the exact numbers, but he showed that a single bolt fired from a regular bolter packed as much kinetic energy than a few dozen Scorpion Tank shells fired simultaneously. I doubt a Spartan could take a direct hit from a single Scorpion shell and survive.
>>
>>44595927
Man I had totally forgotten about these stupid fiction vs fiction match-ups. Used to spend so much time thinking about them.

Anyway 40k lore is all over the place space marines are either worse than modern soldiers or demi-gods, no real comparisons can be made.
>>
>>44600099
I call bullshit.
>>
>>44600067
Well, even the culutre might lose to 40k. It all depends on if both univeres are all in. And how powerful the chaos gods really are. Like if the stuff about how khorne could actually destroy the entire universe or that everything is part of Tzeentch plan is true or if they're not as powerful as some lore makes them out to be.
But outside of the chaos gods, the c'tan and full strength necrons, quite a few settings could anhilate 40k.
>>
>>44599877
Alpharius was short for a Primarch, his Marines where tall for Astartes
>>
>>44600151
So the alpha legionares were big guys?
>>
>>44600106
>space marines are either worse than modern soldiers or demi-gods
sometimes both at the same time
>>
>>44595927

It it's a spartan 2 and they have an inkling of the SM's durability, My money is on the Spartan. Smaller, more agile, has recharging shielding and better field of view. I wouldn't trust UNSC mainline ballistics to get the Spartan anywhere though. they are powerful enough to punch through the Covie's space Armour, but the SM's shit is thick as horse dick and supposedly super fucking strong.

Give the SM any warning at all, cut his pride in half and give him a drum mag for the bolter, I'm pretty sure he's gonna win against any non-named spartan 2.

As for Spartan Threes, SM will win 9 times out of ten

Spartan 4s are over all a mockery to the discipline and skill of their forfathers and mothers, and i'd place it at 1000 wins for the SM to 4's 1
>>
>>44597893
>Assuming a SM Tactical squad and a unit of 10 Spartan 2s were to fight it would come down to the SM chapter's tactics and the environment.
I'd hand it to the Spartans mainly due to how several Chapters are rigid in their tactics
And Spartans are pretty much masters of asymmetrical warfare
>>
>>44600887
Spartans are physically incapable of winning the fight unless they bring a spartan laser or promethean weapons. BR's, AR's, shotgun's, LMG's, etc will be useless against power armor. Meanwhile bolters will kill Spartans with a couple shots.
>>
>>44600290
>more agile
No they aren't. Space Marines are actually faster than Spartans and possess faster reaction speeds. Astartes can keep up with Eldar, who are literal bullet dodgers, just fine in a melee if not outright slaughter them. Spartans possess zero speed advantage.

>has recharging shielding
Worthless as shields get dropped by burst fire from 7.62 NATO.

>better field of view.
No again. Field of view is irrelevant when both are wearing power armor, and Astartes plate has built-in auspex.
>>
File: 1415686532816.png (464 KB, 1320x3769) Image search: [Google]
1415686532816.png
464 KB, 1320x3769
We've already had this thread, SM win because 40k is retarded and over the top.
>>
File: CheerWithMeBrother!.jpg (75 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
CheerWithMeBrother!.jpg
75 KB, 736x460
>>44595927
How many Spartans would it take to bring down these 2?
>>
File: mobileinfantry.gif (154 KB, 643x630) Image search: [Google]
mobileinfantry.gif
154 KB, 643x630
Here's a better question.

Imperial Guard vs The Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers
>>
>>44601877
The ones from the book? Can't they shoot nukes out of those cannons there? I mean, that seems a bit stacked in the MI's favor, especially since they can bounce around like fucking fleas in those things.
>>
>>44601877
Depends on how many of each? I mean if its just both universes going head to head then the IG simply due to number

If its equal number of men, or even 10 IG for each MI, the MI win pretty easily. Theyre more comparable to high end tau battlesuits
>>
>>44600161
For you.
>>
>>44601906
>>44601947
This.
The IG win if they have their whole universe at their disposal because they can bury them in bodies.

The MI win if they have limited men, even if it's stacked 10-20 to 1 against the MI.

A BETTER one would be a Company of Mobile Infantry vs a Company of Space Marines.
>>
>>44601809
Too many.
>>
>>44601989
Space Marines are tough and all, but the Mobile Infantry take this one.
>In their suits they can withstand any conventional weaponry short of an anti-tank round.
>In their suits they gain the strength to tear tanks apart like paper, but are still dexterous enough to pick up an egg without breaking it.
>They are able to constantly be on the bounce thanks to their jump jets.
>Have access to Micro-Nuclear Warheads and many other powerful weaponry along with their incredible strength.
Steel Gorillas > SPESS MUREENZ
>>
>>44597071
That's a bit more than double.
>>
>>44601749
Beat me to it.

I thought I would finally have an excuse to bust it out.
>>
>>44600161
Yes. So that the Primarch(s) could pass as Marine and vise versa.
>>
>>44601809
My eyes don't see too well. Which two is that?
...Robert and Harold?
>>
>>44601809
None. There's not enough. Primarchs would kill Spartans with single punches, won't be harmed at all by Spartan melee, and probably could even tank shit like spartan lasers without an issue considering Corax walked off a lascannon.
>>
File: 1369117049939.jpg (184 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
1369117049939.jpg
184 KB, 500x357
>>44595927
>half a clip of 5.56 to the head kills the spartan
>half a clip of 5.56 to the head pisses the marine off

>>44597498

>Lets look at Spartans
>mk2
the cream of the crop. given how they use fully powered armor, are larger and have more experience. Master Chief was in his late 40s by the first game. Also super fucking expensive, where a single spartan 2 cost roughly that of a corvette. Has to be of very select genetic stock. Takes about 20 years to train a spartan 2.

>Mk3s
taken in around any age but usually as teenagers. Their process was slightly weaker but allowed much higher survival rates. Their armor was semi powered, just enough to allow for the bulk of their armor to not be a hindrance. Tend to be of average human heights. Cheapest of them by far, as they were made to be thrown at a problem in the hundreds. Can be damn near anybody accepted. Takes about 5 years to train a spartan 3

>Mk4 Spartans
taken in at any age, often from ODST. This process is highly advanced and has practically zero failure rate. They are slightly above average in height, wear fully powered armor that's similar to a crysis suit with bits stuck to it. Each one on terms of cost, is roughly 5 to 10 mk3s. Can be any one as well. takes around 7-8 to train a spartan 4

>Equipment
They tend to carry the same stuff as normal soldiers. A normal human can carry a SPARTAN laser and use it without difficulty. All the weapons in halo tend to be slightly more destructive. Shotgun is an 8 gauge, sniper rifle larger than a .50 slightly, for example.
>>
>>44602569
>Lets look at the Marines
>Selection process varies massively.
Some chapters use the off spring of chapter serfs, training them from a very young age. Marines of this nature do the chapter proud as they tend to be exemplars of all their ideals. Some chapters choose local populations of their recruiting worlds, age is also various, can be anywhere from age 10 to 40. Younger the candidate the more likely they will survive the process and be untainted. Older the candidate, the more they can offer the chapter as a whole.

>It takes decades to create a space marine.
>Marines are durable and created with the long view in mind.
It takes usually a decade to train and condition a Neophyte. A neophyte is still no laughing matter in a fight, as they tend to easily rival chapter serfs. Chapter Serfs are on par with ODST but sometimes have augments as well so they can perform without needing too much specialized gear.

>Scouts.
Scouts are fully implanted and usually are between age 25 to 50. They are on par with Storm Troopers. They have many different approaches to war depending on the chapter. Some run in screaming to weed out the weak/stupid while most others use them as supporting roles, such as snipers and recon.

>Full Fledged marines

Devastators. Young bloods armed with big guns and can mow down large masses depending on load out.
Assault. Jump Packs, close range weapons and boom boom makers
Tactical marines. Can do it all.
Veterans. Have done it all

>equipment
They use big guns that explode inside you. Armor that augments all their abilities. Since they are designed to last hundreds of years, they keep goodies and drive big fucking boxes.
>>
>>44602586

>My opinion
>Space Marines will beat Spartans of all types.

Their equipment is simply designed to kill things tougher than themselves, while spartans are made to use the same gear as humans. Marine will survive a fight while spartans heal just like any normal man. The Energy shield spartans use is their only real defense. Concentrated fire or one solid hit will knock that shield out.

Its quite similar to marines fighting thunder warriors. 4 marines to take out one thunder warrior. It'd take 4 spartans to bring down a marine.
An Elite is as strong as a spartan 2. Brutes are far stronger than Elites. Marines are physically stronger than brutes and about as durable as a Hunter.
>>
>>44602041
I'm pretty sure power armor is immune to conventional weapons too.
If nukes were effective don't you think it would be deployed more in 40k?
Assault marines.
Power weapons through tanks.
>>
>>44595927
diediediediediediediediediediediediedie
>>
>>44599877
If you don't know what you're talking about you should probably shut up.
>>
>>44595927
Spartans have shitty weapons while Space Marines have super armor, and therefore the Spartans lose before the debate can even really be started.
>>
>>44602607
>Marines are physically stronger than brutes and about as durable as a Hunter

I agree with virtually your whole post and their armor does give them Hunter-tier durability, but virtually all vanilla Space Marine strength feats are too vague to actually be measured much higher than Spartan level.
>>
>>44603140
well. spartans are about as strong as elites. in the cole protocol book it had a scene where the one was slammed up against a wall by an elite.

Plus, marines are retardedly strong.

>Stat wise
I'd give spartans as having unnatural strength 2 and marines having unnatural strength 4. spartans get unnatural agility 1. and marines have unnatural toughness 4

Mjolnir armor is basically light power armor as they don't have issues moving and sneaking in it.

In first heretic, one marine picked up the leader of a world by the neck, and she was super fat. easily an 800 pound woman. He lifted her with one arm and the armor was straining and the marine was doing all the work.

>From a structural stand point
Marines are stronger than spartans due to being wider. It forces them to have larger chest and shoulder muscles.

Spartans are faster.
>>
>>44603216
>Spartans are faster.
>>44601749
>>
>>44595927
For the last damn time, Space Marines take it 11 times outta 10.
>>
>>44597511
Lascannon or Power Sword wins.
>>
>>44603239
the fastest spartan ran at close to 40 miles an hour

marines can run long distance without issue.
>>
>>44603333
If we're going by EU-material, a properly specc'd marine is significantly faster than that
>>
>>44601809
I don't think there's enough Spartans to take down Girlyman, let alone Sanguinius.
>>
>>44603345
well. in the FFG books. marines only move a little bit faster than humans due to being bigger. Just as agile as a normal guy. Its the difference between a mustang and a Clydesdale

>>44603361
girlyman is still a brick shit house

Sanguinius is a flying tornado of murder

doing muh math...it'd takes close to 20 spartans to down a thunder warrior. and it'd take like 20 something thunder warriors to down a primarch.
>>
>>44603216
Spartans are 5-10 ton lifters on average, with certain characters (such as Sam and George) being outliers in terms of strength and being even stronger. This same figure of 5-10 tons seems to be where the majority of vanilla Space Marines fall, save for a few Captain outliers. Terminators have higher feats, but their armor also augments them more than standard power armor so it makes sense.

Strength-wise the two are pretty even. Speed the Marines seem faster (with the exception of Kelly, who is stupidly fast by Spartan standards) but I would argue that the Spartans higher reaction time would equalize the slight speed gap.

Where the two really seem to differ is their Durability. Spartan energy shields have feats that put them anywhere from 8-30 Megajoules of energy, but are weak to concentrated fire. While this might seem like a lot, Space Marines on the other hand just have regular armor that shrugs off similar levels of firepower and hardly takes a scratch. Now compare their standard equipment and the Spartan's guns aren't going to even scratch a Space Marines power armor, while a Space Marines guns are designed to puncture tanks. Once those shields are down a Spartan's Mjolnir won't stand up against a Bolter.
>>
>>44603419
>well. in the FFG books
Yeah, in the FFG books you can hit 70mph for regular movement speed. Almost 300mph at a sprint.

>marines only
This is just your opinion.
>>
>>44595927
If John 117, he even beats the Emperor and the Chaos gods at the same time just because luck.
>>
File: aMUOh7O.jpg (54 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
aMUOh7O.jpg
54 KB, 600x402
>still being invested in Halo lore post-Bungie
But why?
>>
>>44603526
>still invested in 40k lore post 3e

Why
>>
>>44603534
But I'm not, anon. I've never given a shit about 40k.
>>
>>44601809
>I hate this
>armour chafing
>my feet hurt
>wingfeathers are damp
>fucking brother won't stop shouting in my ear
>I wish I was at home writing poetry
>>
File: [Internal Screaming].gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
[Internal Screaming].gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>44603428
>Spartans are 5-10 ton lifters on average
When the fuck did this happen?
>>
>>44603566
i kinda dont believe that either.

Marines average between 500 to 1000 kg in weight

Spartans top out at half a ton.
>>
>>44603615
>Spartans top out at half a ton
In weight? Jesus Fuck.
>>
>>44603428
>>44603566
Actually according to an interview with Frank O'Connor (Halo's franchise development director) the whole thing you can do in the games where you lift and flip over a 70-ton tank? According to him that's accurate to the lore.

Which kind of puts Spartans on Comic Book Superhero levels of sillyness.
>>
>>44603653
marines can do that same thing. it only takes 4 marines to tip a baneblade.

>>44603632
that power armor is actually kinda light in comparison too. the Spartan 2's suit used a circulatory system of a mercury based alloy in its body suit to give the strength bonus

spartan 3's was only semi powered

spartan 4's its like a crysis suit.

Marine armor is pretty much the strength suit from mgs4 under that shit. it uses electronically motivated fiber bundles.
>>
File: Some serious heresy ITT.png (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Some serious heresy ITT.png
92 KB, 800x600
>>44603653
>According to him that's accurate to the lore.
>>
>>44603653
according to relic, space marines can sexually reproduce and make human babies.
>>
>>44603688
>marines can do that same thing. it only takes 4 marines to tip a baneblade.

Which would be roughly 70-80 tons per Marine.

Which once again puts them on similar levels of strength to Spartans. There is no end to this debate.

Marines still win due to superior durability and better weaponry.
>>
I don't know about the 70-ton thing but I do know we've seen a Spartan-II pick up a four ton orbital insertion pod and throw it about thirty five yards.

They don't get a lot of strength feats since the games always focus on the gunplay and the books focus on squad tactics, but it's clear they are super strong.
>>
>>44600099
The dubs lie
>>
>>44599920
>firefight
I could never understand why they excluded that. The in-universe explanation for multiplayer (a first) is that Spartans are in Virtual Reality & sparing with each other. Surely actually fighting the enemy would be a more valuable experience although most of even the Elites aren't Spartan level thus easier,. Then again I'll assume it takes time to program that shit & you can't just "capture" data.
>>
>>44600148
>Culture
>be defeated by even the War in Heaven Necrons
I doubt that. I'd say that single Culture ships'd make the entire Tyranid population go extinct if it wants.
>>
>>44603715
Considering that they are surgically altered, not genetically altered normal human children would be the logical outcome of space marine reproduction.
>>
>>44605235
Wouldn't the children be better than the average human though? The cream of the crop are taken & made into Space Marines. The fact that their parents are Space Marines means the child is more genetically compatible with all the Gene-seeds.
>>
>>44605109
Keep in mind that the war in heaven necrons had forces that numbered in the multi trillions.
I'm not saying that it would for sure beat the culture, because only an idiot would say that, just that the full strength 'crons would have a rather decent chance.
>>
>>44599895
Also in the space wolves 5ed codex there was the mention of a relic terminator armour of a fallen wolf guard who was a real giant, even taller than Rockfist. Something something towering above his fellow marines as much as marines tower above normal people
>>
Doom Guy is the God Emperor of Mankind.
>>
>>44605331
>in the multi trillions.

Don't forget thanks to the scarabs that can break down any substance (organic or inorganic) into energy then turn that energy into anything from Space fleets to cenoptek armies.

This way the Necrons have an inexhaustible army of cenoptek constructs that can be built from the bodies of their enemies, the ground beneath their feet, or literally from thin air.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (120 KB, 792x467) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
120 KB, 792x467
>>44605331
>>44605411
I still don't think that's much compared to ships that go so much faster than light that traversing a galaxy is possible within a day & their advanced A.I. & all that.
>>
>>44601749
As much of a halo fanboy as I am, I have to admit that, yeah, the space marines would beat spartans. Though instead of listing all those things, I can explain why with just this:

On the Moh's scale of science fiction hardness, Halo's around a 6 or 7, and 40k is around a 3 or 4. So while Halo's trying to stick to plausible-sounding things and coming up how it would theoretically work, 40k's like "We got ghosts in our armor that the marines are linked with. It gives them better reflexes"
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (70 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
70 KB, 466x700
>>44605610
>Moh's scale of science fiction hardness, Halo's around a 6 or 7, and 40k is around a 3 or 4
And then prehistoric Halo came along.
>>
>>44595968
space marine would just wait in water, Spartans die as soon as the touch water don't they?
>>
>>44605875
That's just a system in the game isn't it? To act as a sort of invisible wall/additional hazard to either stop the player from going outside the map or to make that map a bit more difficult.
>>
>>44599920
Oh, and killed off The Rookie like a little bitch in the books. I'm still pissed.
>>
>>44605987
ODST was too cool and well liked.
>>
>>44605235
>>44605309
marines are surgically altered with implanted organs. so they make human babies. Really good quality human babies. yet no one seems to use the marine's sperm for anything.
>>
>>44605309
>means the child is more genetically compatible with all the Gene-seeds
Gene-seed isn't a standardized thing, it's influenced by the marine it was donated from.

With how ridiculously finnicky it is, even very slight variations in genetic code could prove nonviable.
>>
>>44606007
I loved ODST, one of the best entries in the franchise, certainly best voice acting, story and mission design.
>>
>>44606009
>yet no one seems to use the marine's sperm for anything
This is a slight pet peeve I have with many super-soldier programs who use only the finest & especially ones that sterilize the soldiers. From a biological perspective, sterilizing the best soldiers prevents their genes from being passed on. Natural selection leads to the weaker guys reproducing even if the better guys are present. I know how enormous the gene pool of a planet, let alone the greater part of a galaxy is, but wouldn't preventing the best & most suited from reproducing be a bad thing?
>>44606051
>it's influenced by the marine it was donated from
That & the chapter it's from. Still, if a Space Marine had a kid & that kid had daddy's gene seed inside of him (oh god, this sounds like /d/ shit) then the gene seed would be less likely to reject.
>>
>>44606115
I still favour Halo 2. As much as I liked the characters, I thought ODST was one of the weaker. Maybe it's the lack of Elites.
>>
>>44606167
>less likely to reject
or maybe it would be worse, because that's basically inbreeding
>>
>>44605987
> they killed the rookie

what?!

>>44606115
>>44606179
i felt 2 was probably the weakest overall and i never got why people liked it so much. reach & ODST were probably the best games in the series.
>>
>>44600067
The thing about the Warhammer 40K universe is that it's heavily dependent on magic in all respects. Other science fiction universes are simply not comparable to it because it boils the entire argument down to whether or not the physical laws (i.e. the existence of magic) of the Warhammer universe or the other one supercedes. Generally speaking, you know the hardcore W40K fags have lost the argument when they start pulling back to "enemy X would lose because they don't have Geller Fields so they'll be instantly destroyed/possessed by demons", which of course applies to every other science fiction universe in existence since none of those include the demons from W40K which require Geller Fields to protect against. The problem is, from that POV, is that it's not possible to "field" W40K forces in any condition that doesn't allow for their universe' bullshit magic to exist (since they would never be able to arrive on the battlefield without their Warp drives).

Stupidity and excuses aside, it is generally agreed upon that the Imperium would lose to the Culture, any of the factions from Supreme Commander, the United Federation of Planets ON INTELLIGENT (this is, again, a super important variable: behaving as depicted in the show, the UFP from Star Trek would lose to almost any other power, because the drama relies on them being pants-on-head retarded and budget constraints make them tactically and strategically ridiculous. "On intelligent", extrapolating based on technological capabilities how the Federation would "Really" act, they punch far above that weight level), the Flood or the Forerunners (or the ancient humans) from Halo, PAX/Swiss Guard from the Hyperion Cantos, as well as any of the "Fuck The Kardashav Scale" factions that sometimes pop up (Culture, Time Lords, Photino Birds, Crayak, etc.).
>>
>>44606519
>Halo 2
I'm not sure how many do but I enjoyed playing as the Arbiter. It was nice playing as the Alien for once. I thought the campaign was the best despite the horrible "BUY HALO 3" clifthanger ending.
>Reach
I didn't feel for Nobel Team like I did for Buck's team. That & I would have preferred to experience the Fall of Reach book in a game rather than Nobel 6.
>>
>>44600171
How so?
>>
>>44599920
Retconning Forerunners to be aliens instead of ancient humans completely negates the entire motive that Truth had for starting the Human-Covenant War. Truth needed to cover up the fact that humans were the Reclaimers (as he was told by Mendicant Bias), and declared that they were to be purged for desecrating the artifacts that the Prophets needed to ascend to godhood (as he fucked up and interpreted the glyph that meant "Reclaimers" as "Reclaimation"). Guilty Spark outright states that not only was humanity the "Reclaimers", but that they were actually the Forerunners themselves, which is why humans were necessary to operate Forerunner equipment. He fucking says this OUTRIGHT.

If humans weren't the Forerunner or Reclaimers then they shouldn't have been able to use Forerunner equipment, or if we follow the logic that 343i now has with the AI being the Reclaimers, then only humans with AI implants should be able to operate Forerunner equipment, which means at no point in time could the mistake have been made that the humans were the Reclaimers and the war would have been entirely unnecessary and the events of the original trilogy would have actually been impossible (ie: Miranda and Johnson wouldn't have been able to activate the Halos from the Ark because they weren't Reclaimers - Cortana was).

They did all of this so that they could introduce the most boring enemies to ever appear in a first person shooter.

>Sam_died_for_this.jpg
>>
>>44606608
i didn't really enjoy the abiter's levels they felt like chief's levels without a flashlight

and while I agree buck's team was better than noble team i felt reach had more fun levels...

> the stealth mission with jun
> the space battle with jorge
> the final mission after the credits

...while my favorite part of ODST was the sandbox
>>
>>44606519
Yep, captured by Insurrectionists and shot in the back of the head. The same guy who survived hours by himself in a Covenant-infested city. Oh, and Mickey is a Insurrectionist traitor because reasons. Fuck 343.
>>
>>44606759
so they turned the rookie into a call of duty protagonist like pic related
>>
>>44606686
>Retconning Forerunners to be aliens instead of ancient humans completely negates the entire motive that Truth had for starting the Human-Covenant War.
Actually, here it still works. The Forerunners choose Humanity to be their successors. After all a force that fought both the Forerunners & the Flood simultaneously must be good. Here Truth's reasoning is just alike the Forerunners when they weren't chosen. They were jealous. It's like not being daddy's favourite kid. They wanted the Humans gone because the Prophets thought they were the rightful successors of the Forerunners' legacy, not humanity.

Besides, I thought Halo 3's Terminals hinted that the Forerunners weren't the same as Humanity.
>>
>>44606167
its not uncommon for certain chapters to recruit families. One chapter had an Uncle and his Nephew...it might've been the ultramarines.

>sounds like /d/ shit
not really, its just a set of implants, like getting your brother's kidney

Hell, every chapter has its own variations. For instance. Ultramarine Geneseed is stored separate than its successor chapters on mars. Because each new chapter is essentially a different breed.

>German shepard gradually goes feral
>rottweiler having skull to small for brain
>Tibetan mastiff being larger.

All kinds of variables happen man. Its why the Founding Legions were stronger during the great crusade. They only looked for the strongest candidate and not those of the most morally pure.

First halo had boring level designs
Halo 2 was kind of an eye sore on CRT televisions when it hit the flood levels.
Halo 3 is really pretty when youre fucked up on booze n weed while dual wielding plasma rifle and SMGs
Halo ODST had best fire fight.
Halo Reach was kinda meh.
Halo 4 pissed me off yet had best story
haven't played halo5

>all the hours i've wasted on xbox and PC and I regret nothing.
>>
>>44603419
Talos in the Night Lord books was capable of moving at speeds of over 60mph in a sprint. Space Marines in combat also move so fast they can't even be fully comprehended by the human eyeball, even to the point that they appear they are teleporting shot distances in a melee because they are moving faster than a human can process sight.
>>
>>44603653
Frank was joking in that video dumbass.
>>
>>44607550
Yeah, but they retconned that too. According to Halo 4 prehistoric humanity rivaled the Forerunners, literally. There was an even older race called the Precursors who have been observing the "younger races" (from their point of view - so it's like if the Xeelee were judging the Vorlons and Shadows) to determine which of them would succeed them as universal/galactic peacekeepers. They picked humanity, the Forerunners got super-insulted, killed the Precursors, the Precursors created the Flood as a final fuck-you to the Forerunners, humanity started fighting it and killed Forerunners in the process (their planets were infested), the Forerunners thought the humans were rubbing their victory in their faces just to be jerks and returned the humans to the stone age in revenge before being eaten by the Flood.
>>
File: Untitled.png (761 KB, 1280x543) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
761 KB, 1280x543
>>44607812
>they retconned that too
I'm not sure how that's a retcon. In there, Humanity & the Forerunners were both made by the Precursors. The Precursors chose Humanity, much like how the Forerunners later did the same. When Truth & the others found that out, they reacted as violently against Humanity as the Forerunners did to the Precursors. They wanted to be the Forerunners' favorites. It's kinda like the Biblical Cain & Abel story.

Besides, the Forerunners did some tampering with Humanity afterwards. Cortana & the other shit that the Librarian mentioned were planned. Unlike the Didact, the Librarian thought favorable about humanity. She even expressed this in the terminals.
"Did I tell you? I built a garden. The earth is so rich. A seed falls and a tree sprouts or a flower blooms. There’s so much...potential. We knew this was a special place because of them, but unless you’ve been here, you can’t know."

I'm also aware of how the Trollcursors & their Keyminds got the took over the Forerunner A.I.s & made them blow themselves up.
>>
>>44608006
The hilarious thing is that the reason why the Precursors chose humanity is because we're brutal war-mongers.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (353 KB, 1107x980) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
353 KB, 1107x980
>>44608073
From an Eldar Philosopher: "The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

Clearly warmongering isn't so bad in the 41th Millennium.
>>
>>44608179
How much AI is in a suite of spartan armor reading the descriptions in Halo 5 shit gets crazy
>>
File: fixed.png (538 KB, 700x541) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
538 KB, 700x541
>>44595927
>>
>>44602586
>age 10 to 40
more like 10 to 14
>>
>>44609778
Depends I think the armor and helmet can house separate AI

>Spartans describe the FENRIR's embedded battle management AI as efficient, responsive, and bloodthirsty, in equal measure.

>The microframe embedded in the ENGINEER helmet supports running multiple concurrent AI shards with limited remote control of limbs and suit controls.

>Armor description: ENGINEER-class armor serves as a testbed for numerous netwar-specific subsystems that target Covenant and Forerunner battlenets, security command protocols, and hardware interlocks.
>>
File: 1449565311106.jpg (25 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1449565311106.jpg
25 KB, 308x450
>>44595927
>implying Halo Universe

For the autistic person who keep making these fanwank threads: you know what you need to do.
>>
>>44610370
>AI as efficient, responsive, and bloodthirsty
How can a AI be bloodthirsty?
>>
>>44610671
Because it was programmed to think it's a vampire?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (245 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
245 KB, 1280x720
>>44595927
I think Prehistoric Human Soldier vs Space Marine is better.
>>
>>44610671
It's programmed to only seek methods to cause as much death and pain?
>>
>>44595927

Its been a long time since Ive seen this thread.

The answer to this thread is as old as /tg/ itself, even if you may not be.

http://dagobah.net/flash/Space_Marines_vs_Spartans.swf

>896
>>
>>44610955
> 137
;_;

>best_answer_m8.jpg
>>
>>44607705
>24 fps
>>
>>44607029
>tfw BO3 is so detached from the rest of the BO games that I can barely recognize it as a sequel to BO2
>>
>>44601297
You do know that the UNSC is not using modern propellants with their rounds, right? Their munitions are not directly comparable to modern parallels in anything but size.
>>
>>44601809
One, with a nuke.
>>
>>44595927
SM:Grandpa!
>goes in for tactical hug
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.