[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it always assumed that the government will always cover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.gif (5 KB, 200x238) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
5 KB, 200x238
Why is it always assumed that the government will always cover up the existence of hostile supernatural entities?

Why wouldn't they just spin it as "These dangerous things exist. Therefor we must pass these laws to increase our power over you."

This doesn't just apply to Delta Green but any similarly themed RPG or work of fiction.
>>
>>44585608
Meant to say "therefor we must pass these laws increasing our powers to protect you"
>>
To prevent mass panic, at least millions go on with their lives with a pretty defined world view based on what they believe in, having something like the existence of supernatural creatures being proven without doubt would shatter all that. You're better off avoiding it. It's part of the reason why secret archives in general gets revealed to the public when most of the ones who cared about the facts either is dead or doesn't remember shit.
>>
>>44585608
Because they've already got those laws, and telling people the real reasons behind them could lead to CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.
Basically it's like a memetic hazard, once you know it's possible to work sorcery, it can be hard to avoid it.
Especially with the Transient Weak Anomaly coming up, "flinging open the gates between the worlds" and allowing more advanced sorcery to be performed.
We'd see outbursts of Krantzberg Syndrome, stretching our medical services.

Of course, eventually, we'll get so deep into the TWA that this'll happen anyway (and in some respects, we're here already), so we're preparing documents for dissemination to the general public.
>>
File: 1416322103377.jpg (81 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1416322103377.jpg
81 KB, 640x640
>>44585608
You know the kind of things that scare governments...
>Revolutionaries
>Radicals
>Communists
>Drug gangs
>Hackers
>Religions (except one)

Now imagine if every punk could summon himself an external entity in some alley with stolen church candles and the blood from a heroin needle? People could start doing whatever the hell they feel like. This isn't a straw man, this is a real threat to oppressive regimes. You don't need a feedback loop scenario like CNG >>44585913. Things just go to shit when magic goes public.

I mean if you want to play Kult, go right ahead. I hear it's getting remade. Although I'm looking forward to UA a lot more impatiently.
>>
>Why is it always assumed that the government will always cover up the existence of hostile supernatural entities?

Because those works of fiction/games are LOOKING to exploit conspiranoic thought and appeal to the kind of people that would have fun playing in the fringe of society because you "know too much". This is a lot of people.

Also, because it's easier to implement. It's easier for the players to say "this is just like the real world, but strange things lurk in the night" than saying "this is just like the real world, but there are supernaturals and, naturally, the government accepted and integrated these supernaturals, which shaked the entire foundation of normality, so in reality, this isn't normal at all and now I need to explain what changed and what is the same and verisimilitude and shit."

There are games/fiction where people extrapolate on what would happen if hostile supernaturals were publicly known, that's the domain of science fiction, post-apoc, and MilSci. It's just like, for some reason, you aren't looking at it.
>>
>>44586568
There is a weird dissonance between your vocabulary and your general mastery of semantics. It's like you're looking up words to sound sophisticated.
>>
>>44586617
Not the guy you're talking to but I understood him just fine. You know you don't always have to adhere to the college-styled English you were taught when typing out casual conversation on the Internet, right?
>>
>>44586617
Please, who would inseminate words where they don't belong to appear more intransigent?
>>
>>44586617
>You don't type like I do! REEEEE!

Is this more millenial anti-intellectualism or just plain old autism? desu senpai.
>>
>>44588030
>>44586568
Shipmaster Shloto Unsworth, get back to the 40th millennium. Ravenor needs your ship to take him somewhere.
>>
>>44585608
>Why is it always assumed that the government will always cover up the existence of hostile supernatural entities?

Because of the ramifications of "The Truth" totally invalidating pretty much every single major religion out there.
>>
>>44588886
I'm pretty sure all religions are predicated on the existence of the supernatural.
>>
>>44585608

The supernatural is a threat. Do you think the government wants to admit there's a threat out there it can't stop or control?

Delta Green even gets into this, saying that Majestic 12 was happy to sign the Accord because they were terrified of the fact that America was powerless to stop the aliens, even as a Cold War superpower. Admitting that to the oublic would cause all hell to break loose.
>>
>>44588964

True but in the CoC universe, there really are no "good" supernatural entities.
>>
>>44585608

Because then it's harder to exploit the supernatural for their own gain.
>>
Requirement for the genre. If the government(or some other entity related to the said supernatural beings themselves) doesn't cover supernatural things up, you end up with Shadowrun. Not that there's anything wrong with Shadowrun, but if I want to play shadowrun, I'll just play shadowrun and not Delta Green/WoD/whatever.
>>
I really want to play Delta Green, but I've never played any RPG(outside of the vidya variety) and I never see it posted on game finder threads.
>>
>>44585608
>There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!
>>
>>44589881
Further more, as someone who has actually worked in a classified environment and to add on an answer: >>44585608

It's also a lot harder to deal with some things when EVERYONE knows about it, because then you have to face scrutiny.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.