[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
40k still playable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 960x607) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 960x607
Dropped out when 7th ed came out because I couldn't afford it, but I still have ~3000 points of tau lying about. Is there any point getting back into the game or has GW reached the end times? Absolutely loved 6th ed and I miss the satisfaction of a game
>>
>loved 6, hate 7
It's the same shit. Also, tau are now ridiculously easy to break and make OP without allying
>>
>>44580232
It's still going strong. As with any game, it just depends on whether or not your attitude about it has changed. Doesn't seem like it has, though. So for you it is probably not worth it to get back in.
>>
>>44580232
Would a Shock Baton be basically a power maul?
Also I want a movie about Guardsmen now.
Loyal ones, not TRAITORS
>>
>>44580516
It deflected attacks from a lightsaber, so that's probably at least equivalent to a power field as lightsabers were one of the inspirations for the Power Swords back in RT.

Str+2 AP4 definitely, did you see how far it sent that dude flying through the air? Too bad the 6+ invulnerable wasn't good enough against a group of shooters after he failed the initiative check to stay locked in melee after combat losses.
>>
>>44580543
I wouldn't say it was a power weapon, more like a close combat weapon with a special rule that allows it to parry power weapons.
>>
>>44580628
Its energy field was definitely part of its function as a weapon, he landed one hit on Finn and blew him back several meters.
>>
>>44580656
If it was a power weapon anon, there would be no Finn to speak of.
>>
>>44580543
it's like a Shock Maul that can stop power weapon not really lethal doe
>>
>>44580677
Invuln save though
>>
>>44580677
He made his plot armour save.
>>
>>44580677
S5, no instant death
>>
>>44580232
Still? Was it ever? I only know 5,6 and 7th and all of that was a terrible game design.
>>
>>44580232
game is great but Tau revealed their full dickery lorewise and they're fucking OP now
>>
>>44580232

So why don't you play 6th? Did GW steal your books?
>>
>>44581792
Wait what have they done in the lore?
>>
>>44580232
i still enjoy it
>>
File: bdg.jpg (566 KB, 1600x892) Image search: [Google]
bdg.jpg
566 KB, 1600x892
>>44580232

>anon complains about not being able to afford a hobby meant to spent over time.

Oh anon, how you amuse me. Just because you cant afford 4k of the latest and greatest doesn't make it so you cant enjoy the hobby. On the contrary, you become just like the rest of us.
Now let me enlighten your, and your fellow anons here on the basics of a "budged". Yes, I know its a hard word to take on, but trust me, you will learn as time goes by.

You calculate how much you have left to spend after paying the necessities, and think on how much you can spend on a hobby. And this amount is the money you get, no more no less. If you save up, from the month before, you can even get a few extra bucks the month after and so on.
As times change, you might get a better income, then you can re-calculate this number.

And thats it. As stunning as it might seem to many of my fellow gents, its not harder than that. After a while, you will to start accumulate a real army, and with dedication and hard work (and the time you get from not blowing it all in one go), you can actually enjoy playing a fully painted army as well.

I know this isn't what you want to think about the hobby, you kids mostly just want to nag about unfair rules, and how you lost "just because you met that team" or "how your team sucks!" and the GW pricing, because fucktards like you always needs the best toys.

Rules changes over time, get the models you like, the one you think looks cool. do the best job you can with them and play with friends you like, thats what this hobby is all about!
>>
>>44582108

Me to, I played since 2ed, and call me a modernist, but I think this is the best edition ever since.
I love multi part plastic kits, with conversion possibilities. I love the smooth gameplay. I like the introduced psychic phase, that fills a full new role in the game.
And most of all, I like it because it is a FUN game! I don't claim it to be "the best" I wouldn't for a second rate it "tournament worthy", but its just that word "fun" that gets to me. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who hates GW because they reed up on the GW net-hate and live like its the early 2000, but they will never understand why me and the friends I do play have such a blast every freaking game!
>>
>>44580677
1 to wound.
>>
>>44584364
A tear of joy is shed, for there exists another who actually understands.
>>
>>44584769

Not many will give praise to logic in threads regarding GW, as they are far to butthurt to complain on just about anything, many thanks!
>>
>>44585586
The only reason I started Sisters of Battle was an excuse to run an overzealous Black Templars-Imperial Guard-Sister of Battle mix up army.

Specially with the ally rules.

Saddly list building in 7th has me kind of confuse.
>>
Play 30k instead.
>>
>>44588211
because 40k isnt expensive ENOUGH
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 881x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 881x579
>>44588673
Actually, with the Betrayal at Calth box it had a cheaper entry level and you can use all the regular Space Marine tanks in 30k without breaking canon.
>>
>>44587482

Yea its a bit much if you haven't found out the ways how the allied system work. But once you get there its brilliant! It truly encourage you to make great models, and play them.
>>
>>44580516
The Damnatus fan film? While it was cancelled and "never to be released" it leaked to web and can be found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnatus
>>
>>44584364
He has 3000pts of Tau. I don't think it being expensive has any actual bearing on him not playing.
>>
What I did is I subsittuted the move/shoot/assualt phases into a unit activation phase.

Instead The player who has the first turn will then elect a single unit to move and shoot/assault with said unit as rules permit. Once the unit was moved the Player with the second turn will then activate one of their units to move/shoot/assault as well. This continues until each unit has moved. Once all units have been activated the next turn begins.

Once you play 40k like this you don't want to go back. Seriously go play a game like this, it'll be faster, more tactical, and even fluffier engagements.

No more turn one slam either.
>>
>>44580232
Its a fucking mess. The balance between the haves and have nots is the worst Ive ever seen it. You can use a top list to table an army in 2 turns. At 2000 points. Thats 2000 points of BA, Orks, IG, CSM, etc. getting deleted in 2 turns. Alpha Strikes from Tau and Eldar end games in the first turn.

You have to be pretty fucking dense to think 40k is in a good place right now.
>>
>>44580516
I'm working on a Guardsmen series with SFM. Its done in the same vein as go-pro combat footage from Iraq and things like that. More of a documentary feel to it than HEART POUNDING ACTION. Just need better textures, I am god at modeling and animating, just shit at textures.
>>
>>44590329
Play with the activation phase and you can't outright table armies as easily.
>>
>>44590394
Thats very true, but I dont have the option to do that. Phoenix, AZ is a waac meta. So I just stopped playing 40k when formations took over.
>>
>>44590343

I would enjoy watching that. Good luck, friend.
>>
>>44591233
If I can convince one of the player to winners to try activation, you can pull it off too!

also PHOENIX HAD A 40k SCENE!?

>>44591293
Yeah, its just making all the assets is a bitch because I have to make complete maps and some assets. Making SFX because stock shit is too fake. Making those realistic pop sounds that guns actually make is hard. Not to mention have you ever considered what a lasrifle would even sound like? Its not a zap, it'd be more of a quick hiss as the moisture in the air quickly evaporated. Then it wouldn't actually have a beam, just a flash from the muzzle, and no recoil.

I am remodeling entirely like Chimeras, giving them a higher ground clearance, calling it a Cadian mark, or whatever. Not to mention trying to add kit onto models because the Tabletop design is simply without war fighting kit. So something more realistic like pic related. Its a fuck load of work, and then after like a good season I foresee a cease and desist, but just imagie a year of videos like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rSE7XKA9w
this, but with 40k
>>
>>44591965
Actually it has been stated that a las shot would be a crack not a zap or hiss. Basically the laser is so powerful that it ionises the air which causes this sound.
>>
>>44590216
Doesn't the game bot action function in a manner similar to this? It seems like it would make more fluid play
>>
>>44580244

People who love 6E but hate 7E are just retards who can't admit it. 7E is just 6E's stupidity amped up even more.

So what they're saying is, they're fucking retards but they're not drooling-can't-function-outside-of-a-care-home retarded. Well guess what, fuckwits, most of us non-retards hated most of 6E just as much as you hate most of 7E. Because we're not retarded. You didn't need GW's hamhanded retardation to allow you to take allies or alternate force orgs. YOU COULD ALREADY HOUSERULE THOSE YOURSELVES. Printing them in the official rulebook just opened the floodgates and let faglords go maximum overfag.
>>
>>44580232
Your answer to this should depend on whether true line of sight is still a thing.
>>
>>44590159
And yet he says he quit because >Dropped out when 7th ed came out because I couldn't afford it.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.