[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So anyone excited about this, why or why not? Any fears or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: witcher3_en_1438175912.jpg (176 KB, 589x331) Image search: [Google]
witcher3_en_1438175912.jpg
176 KB, 589x331
So anyone excited about this, why or why not?

Any fears or whatever?

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1086
>>
>>44557113
I wonder how well a monster mesume game would work in it?
>>
>>44557133
Not exactly what i was going for.. But honestly.. Probably pretty decent.
>>
>>44557113
If the system is good I think this would be a very strong launch actually, like a potential rival for one of the most-played or strongest PnP IPs going. But they picked Fuzion probably because they are all actual hardcore nerds and didn't think or care about accessibility, so I expect it to just wind up as another niche game that more people play D&D/PF converted for the IP than the actual game for.
>>
>>44557210
I've never (To my knowledge) player a Fuzion game, so i have no idea how the system works.
>>
>>44557249
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzion

It's not super easy to get into, although they may revise or tone it down. At the very least it should be popular in Poland!
>>
Knowing nothing about how the game might actually play I can say that from a book lore standpoint the concept of having to investigate, plan, and prepare for essentially any monster fight could be interesting. Most systems the PCs can just blindly stumble around a cave and beat any mob into submission with a few rinse and repeat tactics.
>>
>>44557113
I'm intrigued, but I'm not sure how it will came out. If the fluff is right, and the writers are good, and there's at least decent art, I'd buy it. Gotta wait and see.
>>
>>44557113
You're a fool if you give R. Talsorian money for anything that isn't back from the printer already. After months of no updates on their Mekton Zero Kickstarter, they've started offering refunds.
>>
>>44557467
There was a Witcher RPG in Poland long time ago. But I hate Witcher so never played it. I don't see people playing it.
>>
>>44557113
Inb4 everyone makes a "Not-Geralt" clone. It's almost as bad as an anime game where everyone is "Not-MC" clones.
>>
>>44558887
Druzzt, the Dark Elf Ranger, thinks you're just imagining things.
>>
>>44558900
I'm more fond of Grelt the white dog, a rough and tumble witcher who's romancing the sorceress Jennifer.
>>
>>44558900
Dzirrt, you know it's true. Everyone will make a witcher or magic user
>>
>>44558912
>not being Gerald of Riviera
>not romancing Trish
What a fag.
>>
>>44558918
Only reason I'm not is because Jason took that name. Bastard always steals my ideas for my worship snowflake characters.
>>
>>44558900
>>44558887

So a medieval version of Star Wars where every faggot want to play muh chosen Jedi rebels?
>>
It depends how difficult the DC's are to slay countless amounts of poon. I mean seriously, I played through like half of the first game, and all I found myself doing everywhere I went was slaying hot bitches. I thought he was supposed to be some kind of Van Helsing monster hunter or something. Not "Geralt Soaker of Bloomers".
>>
>>44558933
Yeah pretty much.
>>
Geralt is basically the most nonapologetic power fantasy borderline-Mary Sue I've even seen in an actually succesful, accepted work. That motherfucker is the bestest swordsman, knows magic, kills monsters, gets all the women wet, is a lone wolf to the point of having wolf in his fucking TITLE, and half the people in the world basically wank off on how cool he is. The other are ignorant shits who will either realize or fucking die.

And he has all the "Look at me I'm so cool and shit" -things you could ever ask for in a character. Is there anything Geralt actually isn't?
>>
>>44558975
Nice pasta.
>>
>>44558975
Kvothe.
>>
I'm hopeful. If nothing else, it will have setting information I can plunder for other games. A man can only use Wikia for so long.
>>
If this becomes popular, I wonder if the original author (Andrzej Sapkowski) is also going to start shouting about how it's succesful only because his (partially untranslated books nobody even knew of before the games) books are such massive cult classics that pushed the game into limelight.

(Seriously, he started making noises like this around the time Witcher 3 was coming out and genuinely seemed to believe it and demanded more credit. What an asspained shit.)
>>
>>44557113
I really hope this works out but there's a chance it could flop. I'd personally love to gm something like this
>>
>>44557113

There's something endearingly blue collar about being a witcher. Depending on when someone puts PDFs of the rulebook on megaupload, i might give it a whirl. Not gonna buy it of course. I've already spent too much money on this damn hobby of ours.
>>
>>44557113
Doesn't a Witcher RPG already exist?
>>
>>44557467
what is it with Europe and shitty overcrunchy RPGs?

Like, how do Germans tolerate The Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge at all? You're supposed to be about efficiency! And you all read English well enough anyway so it's not like you can't learn from other games.
>>
>>44559034
It's unfortunate, but Sapkowski is a bitter old drunk who hates this series and hates the fans of it so much that the ending of the book series was, LITERALLY, "rocks fall, everyone dies".
It was almost like Arthur Conan Doyle killing off Sherlock Holmes only to bring him back because of the mountains of fanmail he got pleading for him to continue the series, but Sapkowski has no such loyalty to the people who love his works.
It's just a shame.
>>
>>44559090
Why are crunch fearing faggots always so vocal?
>>
>>44559090
Because we have enough taste to trash D&D american shit.
>>
>>44559154
Crunch is fine, but too much makes a mess.
>>
>>44559154
There's good crunch and bad crunch.
DnD4e was mostly fine on the crunch end, other than the bonus-stacking and overreliance on tracking imposed conditions.

Chronicles of Darkness, in its codification of aspirations and conditions and social actions, has actually gotten more crunchy, but it works as an integrated system.

And there's also bad crunch like DnD3.5 where the systems aren't coherent and there's a skill overabundance (what is it with skill systems that inspires a billion skills?) and similarly with Eclipse Phase being a game about "change your body freely" except you'd need about three different character sheets to actually do that.
>>
>>44559154
Because there are many crunchy RPGs, and it's the kind of thing that, if you dislike it, will very quickly turn sourer and sourer for you.
>>
File: Wiedzmin-gra-wyobrazni-_bn4153.jpg (72 KB, 448x650) Image search: [Google]
Wiedzmin-gra-wyobrazni-_bn4153.jpg
72 KB, 448x650
>>44559066
Yeah, and it's not that good.
>>
>>44560340
>that cover

Don't remind me of that abomination of a Xena knock-off.
>>
>>44558975
I think the author realized this early on and turned Geralt into gigantic weirdo, but he games decided to not put that change in though so his sue status is still there.
>>
File: wiedzmin plakat.jpg (54 KB, 416x600) Image search: [Google]
wiedzmin plakat.jpg
54 KB, 416x600
>>44560420
Remember when this was the face of Witcher?
>>
>>44558918
o shit im laffin
>>
>>44557113
im interested to see what hex will think of it she loves the witcher.
>>
>>44558463

This is what had me intrigued as well. Most groups I've played with really enjoys planning and preparation.
>>
>>44558975
Mary Sue is not actually a character type. Mary Sue is what people that don't understand stories call poor challenge balance and lack of failing forward. Consider these two examples:

John lives a happy life. He has a wife and two kids that love him very much. John always organizes the weekend barbecues for the neighborhood and he is loved by all for it. Then one day, a fishing competition is announced, and Bob from another neighborhood starts belittling John's fishing ability. John joins the fishing competition and soundly beats Bob, because as a boy his father taught John how to fish over long weekends on a lake. Everybody agrees that John winning is as it should have been and he lives happily ever after.

Versus

John lives a happy life. He is beloved by his neighbors, colleagues, his family, and anyone he ever meets. He is a charming man who's seen success in life. He goes on a cruise with his family, but the ship sinks. He ends up on a raft with Bob, the only person in the world who seems immune to John's charm. They bicker and fight over the last of the food, and it nearly gets violent, when John remembers how his father taught him to fish. With the limited resources on the life raft he manages to get a fishing rod working, but fails to catch any fish for days, even though he is doing everything right. In the end, a fish is caught, but by then Bob truly hates John and attacks him. John pushes Bob overboard and sails away. He survives and returns to his remaining family a changed man.
>>
>>44560461

Games like these as a rule of thumb ARE power fantasies, I honestly can't think of a single exception. Elder Scrolls, New Fallout, Mass Effect...

A part of me wish they hadn't toned down Geralt's... "weirdness" (for lack of a better word) for the second and especially third game so much. He's still leagues above most other video game protagonists, but compared to what he looked like and what he was in the first game, he could have been so much more, back then he was barely human.

Then again, going that route would undoubtedly have turned a lot of people off, and I'm not sure I would have wanted to see Witcher 3 with half the budget and attention it got.
>>
>>44560340
>>44560617
I'm from Poland and every time I get reminded that this...thing exists I simply go and cry into my pillow.
>>
>>44560881
>Then again, going that route would undoubtedly have turned a lot of people off, and I'm not sure I would have wanted to see Witcher 3 with half the budget and attention it got.
ah the sacrifices that must be made for quality its a shame
>>
>>44560617
At the least he did a good job of being awkward.
>>
>>44558975
>Is there anything Geralt actually isn't?
A good decision-maker.

Also, the strength of the books is in the language not characterization
>>
>>44560340
>and it's not that good.
I like it a lot
>>
>>44557113
>Any fears or whatever?
Honestly, only dreams, because it's first good fantasy rpg since old DnD ()and Numenera, but they are pretty different in matter of setting).
>>
>>44557113
I thought there was already a Witcher RPG? Came out in 2001.
>>
>>44558975
Any of those things.

He's a skilled but not peerless swordsman by witcher standards, his magic is feeble compared to any mage and even many other witchers, and he's a chick magnet because he's sterile and has superhuman stamina, so a bitch could ride him for years and never get knocked up or catch an STD.

Geralt is a man making the best of shitty circumstances and just trying to live as close to a blue-collar-hank-hill life as he can, but keeps getting dragged into everyone else's problems.
>>
>>44558975
Well, he's a cuck. And a whipped one at that. The guy is pretty much the poster boy for Sweden, really.
>>
>>44566058
He even isn't that much of a pussy magnet.
Well, maybe in the first game, but not in books or later games.
Yes, he gets laid a lot. But that is the heavily sexuallized setting, not him. Witcher world is so sexually liberated that his endeavours aren't THAT special, really.
Dandelion is the real pussyhunter here.
>>
>>44566618

Uh... Having an open relationship is drastically different from being a cuck.
>>
>>44566697
That's what happens in a world without sex-shaming monotheistic religions.
>>
>>44557113
RPG? Shit man I read the books and I haven't played the games (My PC is a toaster) and I'd really love to see the shit that's in the games.
>>
>>44566697
He gets a lot more pussy in the books as far as I remember.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.