[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: X Party X.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
X Party X.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
>>
>>44544745
well combat wise a really good magic item for monk would be the bracers of armor to get his AC a solid boost. Outside of combat there are a lot of utility magic items, any number of which could be nice. My personal favorite utility magic item would be the alchemist jug.
>>
What are some good race and class variations that have improved the quality of your games?
>>
>>44543859
Any feature is fine once per day if it's strong enough, but I think Hurl Through Hell is the only long rest 14 feature actually published.
>>44544002
And you are proficient with it, I hope?
>>
/5eg/, do you prefer the descriptive approach to roleplaying or the active approach to roleplaying? How much do you mix it up?
>>
>>44544989
I would assume that the "You are proficient with your Pact Weapon" would apply here, too.

Damage resistance is a too strong, especially if you're a Fiendlock. There should probably be a level minimum there.
>>
>>44544981
halfling barbarian/fighter. Dual wields scimitars and chants "Kill it, Kill it, Kill it!!!" as he charges into battle. It's fun to watch and works well. although the whole party in general is fun to play with, so much strangeness has happened in our OotA campaign.
>>
>>44545032
Gonna have to define those terms for me. Yes, I'm too lazy to Google.
>>
>>44545190

Different Anon, but I would guess - Descriptive is just describing what your character does and says "Grognar lumbers over to the bar and slams his fist down, asking angrily "Where is he?!"

Active roleplaying would be more the player putting on the voice and "being" the character directly.
>>
>>44545190
Do you say what your character's doing or act like your character?

>>44545032
Interchangeably. I do voices. I don't drop-kick the DM when I fight a dagron.
>>
So there is 7 level 4 characters in my group, should I give each a magic item or just 3 magic items? Also which would be a good magic item for a level 4 Monk?
>>
i need a little hand. im just getting into fifth edition and i am finding th e magic casting flying over my head a little. i get that you can prepare spells equal to you youre cleric level + your WIS mod, as a cleric, +the freebies from your domain, but how many spells you do know to prepare from at level 1?
>>
File: 478568576857.jpg (11 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
478568576857.jpg
11 KB, 320x287
>get in trouble with the law
>whole party ditches me to go and complete the quest
>Have to make new character because mine got executed

I hate shitty party's
>>
>>44545271
Like I told you last thread: matching circlets of blasting.

But seriously, just give them one uncommon item each, rare at most. Archers get magic bows, melee get magic swords, casters get a wand or cloak or something.

>>44545345
Clerics (and druids, and paladins) prepare spells from their entire class list.
>>
Hey everyone, any tips for people who are new to d&d ?
>>
>>44545393
Read the PHB.
>>
>>44545379
ok so only wizards have a "spellbook" to choose from, or is ti just those 3 classes that know them all?
>>
>>44545405
I have but I thought I would ask here, maybe some tips that arent in there.
>>
File: RuneSoldier.jpg (624 KB, 650x823) Image search: [Google]
RuneSoldier.jpg
624 KB, 650x823
Some questions for the thread:

1) Do you guys like how martial characters get extra attacks at higher levels?

2) Do you think getting additional bonus attacks is an appropriate balancing mechanic for the Fighter, since they tend to get less toys and tricks than other frontline warriors?

3) In your experience as a player or GM, do characters who make multiple attacks per round slow down the combat in your game? If so, by how much?

4) In your experience as a player or GM, do you prefer monsters with several weaker attacks (via Multi-Attack, for example) or one single, more powerful attack per round?

5) Do you think martial characters would be better, the same, or worse if instead of making multiple attacks per round, they received bonus damage to their attacks in the same way that casters get additional damage at higher levels with cantrips? Why do you think that? How do you think such a rule would affect the nature of the game?

Pic related, my favourite D&D-inspired show.
>>
>>44545412
Clerics, druids, and paladins prepare from the whole class' list.

Wizards have a spellbook that they add spells to and can only prepare from those spells. They can ultimately know the most spells, but it requires the largest time and money investment.

Sorcerers, bards, rangers, warlocks, eldritch knights, and arcane tricksters learn spells from their class' list that they always have prepared, but they can't prepare any outside that.

This is explained in the spellcasting (or pact magic, for warlocks) feature of class or archetype.
>>
>>44545354
>lolrandum asshole mcedgy burn some orphans
>world must be saved
>we left hastily, leaving him to face the consecuences of his actions
>nothing of value was lost

I hate shitty players.
>>
>>44545412
ok thank you ill go check that out.
>>
>>44545190
Pages 185-186 of the Player's Handbook. Pretty sure they're terms made up for this game.
>>
File: GiantdadGreeting.jpg (350 KB, 669x507) Image search: [Google]
GiantdadGreeting.jpg
350 KB, 669x507
Caught the tail end of the last thread, so reposting here. How would you stat up a GiantDad?

I'm thinking Goliath Battlemaster, but just wondering if people have any other ideas. A Heavily Armored Barbar would probably be best, except that it fucks itself to death since heavy armor locks out rage.
>>
>>44545354
well i mean surely it's not completely their fault you got executed. Your character committed the crime, but I would like to hear the full strory so I can give an informed response.
>>
Real talk, have you ever seen Favoured Soul played 1) Well and 2) Effectively?
>>44545354
You got what was coming to you. Props to your party.
>>
>>44545457
to
>>44545445
>>
>>44545459
Ah. Well, I see both get used interchangeably by pretty much everyone.
>>
>>44545473
Goliath battle master seems appropriate, but variant human battle master could work out well too.
>>
>>44545473
Goliath Battle Master fighter 9/Long Death monk 11 cus the legend never dies

GWM and heavy armor master

20/13/20/6/13/18

Don't tell anyone you pumped dex, though.
>>
>>44545485
Okay

>Playing a fighter
>My bond says I want to summon a god some day
>We get to a very religious town
>Party splits up to search for information
>Head over to the church
>Ask them to summon Talos
>They laugh at me
>Start throwing shit around
>Kicking over benches and destroying their walls
>Guards come and take me away
>DM asks if players want to stay in town to speak on my behalf
>Whole table : ''Nah''
>Get executed for desecrating a holy site

I'm thinking of making a rogue as my next character to get revenge on the party, maybe steal their stuff when they aren't looking.
>>
>>44545531
Variant human would let me get both GWM and Heavy Armor Master faster, but the ability to shrug off a hit every fight is pretty tempting. 1d12 + Con ain't the best, but it at least lets me simulate Heavy Armor Master until I actually get it.

Fighting Style: Defense or GWF? I want to lean towards GWF, but cheesing out even more AC is sort of tempting.

I'll be starting at level 4 with this character, thinking of picking Feinting Attack, Riposte, and Trip Attack though Pushing could take Trip's place. I'll probably pick up Goading Attack with the one I don't take later.

>wtb Chaos Zwei and some method of fireballing
>>
>>44545682
You're nearing peak That Guy.
>>
Am I missing something about the Purple Dragon Knight?

At level 3 you can heal three people 3 hp each once per short rest. Whoop-de-doo. Then nothing until level 7, and even that's just some new proficiencies.

I know fighters get other stuff, but casting spells (especially the new SCAG cantrips), performing maneuvers, and even just doubling your chance of a critical hit seem way better.

Couldn't they have made it fighter level + Charisma modifier or something? Maybe add in a secondary feature?
>>
>>44545682
Was this a TES game? I assume by your reference to the god Talos.
>>
>>44545760
Just go undying light warlock with greenflame blade. Then go for battle-master later on.
>>
>>44545763
Talos is the god of storms in forgotten realms
>>
>>44545814

It's not that I'm looking for a great build, it's that I don't understand this archetype. It's as if they sent something off to the printing presses and they forgot to include a paragraph. Or maybe this is actually amazing and I'm just not seeing it.

I like the Purple Dragons in the Forgotten Realms lore, this just makes them terrible. I'm happy to play another class/archetype and fluff a character as a Purple Dragon, but I can't figure out why this is what they went with. Or why it's in the Sword Coast book, for that matter.
>>
>>44545682
Your character was an idiot and the party is better off without them, they did the right thing.
>>
>>44545814
> anon wants to be a fighter
> "nah, man, use my snowflake build"
Pillock.
>>
How would you guys RP a Silver Dragonborn?

I've only done Humans, and a Suli once, so I got pretty vanilla experience with more abnormal humanoids.
>>
>>44546051
>Anon wants to be a charismatic spell-sword
>Give him a decent charisma based spell-sword build
>>
>>44546101
>Purple Dragon Knight
>spellsword
Are you dumb? How dumb are you?
>>
>>44546101
No I want to be a Purple Dragon. Magic is handled by the War Wizards.

Also isn't Undying Light an Unearthed Arcana thing at the moment?
>>
>>44546090
Baseline silver dragons are sociable and friendly, so if you want to play to the heritage, go that route.

Remember, though, that you aren't literally the descendant of a dragon; you're of a race of a similar origin. Think the difference between humans and chimps, except there's a fuckhuge lizard involved somewhere.

Dragonborn are typically hidebound and uncommon in society, and are looked upon with a sort of cautious awe by most mortals. You may want to be friendly and sociable, but an interesting point of character development could be convincing those you meet in your travels that you are not to be feared.
>>
>>44545441
No responses?
>>
>>44546162
>isn't Undying Light an Unearthed Arcana thing at the moment?
Doesn't stop every theorycrafter from here to Azerbaijan from trying to shovel it into their multimunching.
>>
>>44546090

Well since it has silver ancestry it's probably dedicated to some arts or crafts like sculpting , tailoring and similar.

What class do you want to play?

I suggest Paladin since that seems to fit best with someone valuing civilization and culture.

Pick some deity of art or something to serve and make your character revolve around protecting beautiful works of art and so on.

Act like one of the more decent argonians in the TES series.
Heck just copy paste that jewler from Riften.
>>
>>44546199
Nope.
>>
>>44546199
Extra Attack is fine as-is, I don't see any reason to fuck with it.
>>
>>44546090

In 5e, Dragonborn aren't specific colours (apart from the heritage rule) - they're meant to be a ruddy mix.

They also are separate from Dragons, not children of them.

Read the MM for a description of Silver dragons and how they act if you want to tie it to your heritage - but in practice they won't act much different from any other Dragonborn.
>>
>>44546223

Thinking either Cleric or Paladin.

Paladin seems like a great combination with Silver Dragonborn.
>>
>>44545441
>>44546199
1. It works well enough, but extra attacks that don't stack should give something to going into two classes with Extra Attack worthwhile (maybe some extra damage on the Attack action or some shit, idk).

2. It works well enough.

3. Far less than any caster does by default.

4. As a player, small hits are better. As a GM, one big hit is better. Ultimately they probably average out to the same.

5. That's how the playtest with martial damage dice worked and it ended up being more of the same. Martial damage is already good in 5e. It doesn't need adjusting.
>>
>>44546202
I think it's popular because the fire boost , the fact that warlocks are great at multi-classing in general and finally your character not selling his soul or serving some eldritch horror to get his powers.
>>
>>44545760
Purple Dragon Knight got attention when it first came out because people were all like
>Woo, Purple Dragon Knights! I know those words!
>Woo, it's a warlord!

And then people had time to actually digest it, and found that it's pretty shitty.
>>
>>44546264
Go for it.
You already get +2 Str and +1 Cha from your racial with it.
Go for standard array (15,14,13,12,10,8)

So you end up with
16 Str
10 Dex
14 Con
8 Int
12 Wis (You can swap Int and Wis if need be)
16 Cha
>>
>>44546273
>your character not selling his soul or serving some eldritch horror to get his powers.
And yet the fluff was "durr, what's the scariest thing you could sell your soul to in the underdark?"
>>
What's the best change in 5e and why is it making Bigby's Hand actually useful again?
>>
>>44546375
The plane of positive energy...
Have you read the fluff some more?
You literally channel power from a plane of existence.
It's like redirecting sunlight with a mirror and not selling your soul to some space demon.
>>
>>44546431
Did *you* read the article that came with the PDF?

Literally the logic wizards said they used.
>>
>>44546429
I'd rather talk about the worst changes.

Water whip and Stoneskin on Wot4E monks being changed in the errata for example.
>>
>>44546246
Thanks for the response anon, I appreciate it.

>>44546272
Thanks to you as well. I personally feel like what you bring up with (1) is important, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while. What if, instead of an Extra Attack, at those levels you got to add your weapon's damage die once again to your attack roll, and if you got that from multiple classes they stacked? Essentially you're looking at 2[W] + Str damage for a 5th level Fighter, while a 20th level Fighter would deal 4[W] + Str damage, and a Paladin 5 / Monk 5 (for example) would be dealing 3[W] + Str. [W] here working like in 4E and representing the damage die of the weapon in question.

A casual number crunch indicates that it would lower high-level martial damage a bit, since they wouldn't be adding their attribute to the damage multiple times like they to with extra attacks. It would also make multi-classing stronger, specifically when aiming for 5th level. Not sure how I'd balance that out yet but it's a start. Oh, and anything that grants additional attacks is buffed, for obvious reasons.
>>
File: Draconomicon.jpg (444 KB, 1246x1690) Image search: [Google]
Draconomicon.jpg
444 KB, 1246x1690
>>44546090

Read the Silver Dragon chapter of Draconomicon
>>
>>44545727
GWF. Your damage output with it if you use a greatsword is amazing. basically 1/3 of all your damage rolls will be rerolled for a chance at higher damage.

Also a necklace of fireball and a flame tongue covers your chaos zwie and fireballs.

>Just be wary that the necklace does not recharge beads.
>>
>>44544349

You've been in this thread for a week telling people to just read the rulebook. That's a bit like people asking for help with their math homework and you just saying "just copy the example problems!"

It's a social game, if you expect everyone to learn by sitting down and only doing self study, you're a bit out of touch, bud.

>I had such a strong desire to play D&D that I wound up picking up a copy of the rules before I even had a group to play with and read it cover to cover.

>Being this much of a sperglord.

$5 says you're that rules lawyer people always complain about.
>>
>>44546487
You also miss out on smite damage, extra damage for Dueling fighting styles, the entire point of Great Weapon Master, being able to use multiple Superiority Dice in a turn, being able to grapple and shove in the same turn, and more.

Don't bother. Give character that have extra attack from multiple classes +1d6 damage on attacks made with the Attack action or something. That way the fighter's third and fourth attacks are still always better but multiclassing past 5th level in two martial classes doesn't have a dead level.
>>
>>44545032

I don't know if this is a good either/or question. I'm sure every DM does both but tends to lean towards one side more than the other.

I have a pretty social party, so I let a lot of active roleplaying happen. I always felt it was important to make sure the characters felt they were pushing the narrative. I guess when I'm a player I always get annoyed when I feel like I'm on the railroad.
>>
>>44545682
ok, I hate to say but your more in the wrong. Not for your character's motive but for their behavior. Any character who worships / wants to summon a god would not want to desecrate the temple of that god and would probably understand that summoning a god can't be done by some lowly priest in a town you pass through. Most beings who master clerical magic can at best commune with them directly and ask for aid every now and again. Your request was unplausable and your behavior in the temple was unacceptable.

with that said I approve of you becoming a dick ass rogue and stealing shit, but you gotta steal from everyone and not just your party. Otherwise you become that guy. Also, try to only steal what you can use or sell (Gold, nonmagical artifacts, nonmagical loot, ect of that sort)
>>
>>44546431
So we fuck up the flavor of the warlock and call it an improvement?
Ok, anon.
>>
File: witchhomebrew.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
witchhomebrew.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Fixed a few issues. Level one feature now offers something nice that's easy to use without having to roleplay too heavily.

Also, I spent a bit pertifying it.
>>
>>44546582
Alright, so a quick and dirty homebrew might look something like this:

Eclectic Fighting: If a character with the Extra Attack class feature would gain it a second time they instead inflict an additional 1d6 damage to the first successful attack they make each round. If they gain the Extra Attack feature three times, such as from being a Fighter 5 / Monk 5 / Paladin 5, this improves to 2d6, or 3d6 if they gain it four times. This ability does not affect the "Extra Attack (2)" and "Extra Attack (3)" abilities of the Fighter.
>>
>>44545441
1)Yes, I also like that without MCing, casters get no physical help

2) It's fair, but I think some others, like maybe Monk and Ranger, should get a third attack, or maybe a second two weapon one. I'd also have given the fighter ways to not use one of those attacks and get some other benefits. Kind like maneuvers, but stronger.

3)It's two aditional die rolls at worse, of course it slows down but barely noticable. It would be on in the rare cases of a fighter attacking 4 times and moving between them, but compare this to rolling save for a fireball.

4)Whatever fits the monsters better. The bigger and slower, the more likely it is to do a single strong one. If they're smart, they'll usually have both options and I'll pick accordingly to what would be more effective against one player.

5)Nah, I feel it takes away some options, you'd be unable to hit many people, nor trigger features that only happen on every hit(smite evil, for instance).
>>
>>44547063
Ranger and Monk getting another extra attack sounds good since they are really sub-par on offense.
They need it.
>>
What if I wanted to run something in the vein of Howl's Moving Castle, how could I do it? It's not quite Eberron, but it's not a run of the mill fantasy world either.
>>
>>44547252
Yeah, the problem is how balanced it'd be with hunter's mark or worse, with monk having the chance to spend ki in 3 different attacks per round.
While DM'ing, some guy walking around doing 3 stunning strikes could wreck some of my encounters.
>>
>>44547450
Then stunning strike needs to be reworded.
Also don't forget the re-roll shenanigans that a Monk with the Lucky feat can do.
>>
>>44547450
Another good idea is to give monks 2 well selected and scaling cantrips they can cast without spending resources like with the ki features and giving them an extra bonus action instead of extra attack.
>>
I'm DMing for a new campaign. Haven't played any yet, but everybody but one guy has rolled up characters.

The fighter has fucking 22 Strength. 6 + 6 + 6 + 4.

Should I increase the difficulty of encounters slightly to make up for this?
>>
>>44547721
How did he end up with 22 Strength? No race gives more than +2 and Ability Score Increases cap at 20.
>>
>>44547721
Anon, it's 4d6 drop lowest. He should be at 18.
>>
>>44547721

Don't the rules specifically say you cannot have a stat over 20 unless a class feature or some magic bullshit specifically allows it?
>>
>>44547721

>The fighter has fucking 22 Strength

No he doesn't.
>>
>>44547721

>DM
>Doesn't even understand the basics of character creation

Well, your campaign is going to go swimingly.
>>
>>44547721
>>44547764
>>44547785
>>44547827

At best he could have 20. if you roll its 4D6 drop lowest. Even if your not doing it that way all ability scores cap at 20. The only way to exceed this is with magic items.

Also, it depends on the rest of your party and party size. If everything else is average consider making things more challenging but not too much. Maybe throw in an extra enemy or 3 per encounter or just throw in a boss enemy in every now and again with the normally intended enemies.
>>
File: SmBhS3G.png (443 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
SmBhS3G.png
443 KB, 610x406
>>44547721

>22 STR on a freshly made character
>Breaking the 20 cap this early

It's okay. We all make mistakes here and there.
>>
>>44547886

Why are D&D fags so hostile to newcomers?
>>
How many times can a sorcerer20 cast lightning bolt per day?
>>
>>44548363
15 times with spell slots. 4 more for their full load of spell points, 1 more time if they get two short rests in.

So, reasonably, 20 times.
>>
>>44548422
Thanks! Is it unheard of to find magical items/armor that increase the number of spell slots/points?
>>
>>44548470
A pearl of power lets you restore a spell slot of 3rd level or lower.

Why do you need to cast lightning bolt so many times?
>>
>>44548147
New players gave us 4th edition.
>>
>>44548485
Why does a fighter need extra attacks?
>>
>>44548147
New player here, probably because D&D is what we've all heard of so we flock to it. This in turns fuels a 'NORMIES PLEASE LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEE' reaction.
>>
>>44548553
I'm fine with normies playing, I actually love people coming into the hobby.

It's their inability to read that irks me. It's like people who start up a video game for the first time, skip the tutorial, and then complain that the game is too hard.
>>
>>44548485
Our DM is the type to throw a lot of combat at us to satisfy the other PCs that sadly aren't hugely into exploration and diplomacy. Plus, lightning fits the backstory of a PC that worships the God of Storms.
>>
>>44548576
Its not always their ability to read, yes it can be in cases like with character creation, but I recall it took my party a while to figure out how spell combat worked with the current handbook.
>>
>>44548576

>why have math teachers when there are text books!

Don't be like that other guy, man.
>>
Is there a visual requirement for Mage Hand? Could one place it inside of a closed room and, say, flail it about slapping anything that might be in the room? Would the caster then be able to judge where things in that room might be based on the use of Mage Hand? RAW states it cannot be used to attack, but is bumping into something considered as such?
>>
>>44548553

I have the same problem. Always played sports, athletic guy. Everytime I walk into the game shop I feel awkward because everyone who I pass by or make eye contact with looks at me like "INTRUDER! FILTHY NORMY!"

I only play at home with friends, thankfully. I couldn't imagine playing at a store and having to deal with that all the time. I go out of my way to be super friendly and I never get it back.
>>
>>44548576
Reading the rulebook on its own is practically useless until you've played for the first time. I read through the rulebook 2-3 times before session number one, but I still couldn't quite grasp combat when the time came. (Session number two should be a hell of a lot better)

>>44548665
The spell section's organization is ass-backwards. It names and explains all the terminology in detail, detailing how to calculate a cone-shaped spell as opposed to a cylinder, before getting to any description of how spellcasting works. And when you finally get there, it asks you to flip through to six different sections to figure out how it should work. Which isn't impossible to figure out, but still irritating.
>>
>>44548810
Those aren't just bad D&D player's those are just negative people in general if they're being needlessly hostile.
>>
I want to play a heavily armoured magic knight with extra attack and some ability to soften targets with evocation spells or throw up a battlefield control spell before charging in and chopping someone in half with a big fuck off sword.

I know dex is usually the way to go but fuck it I want strength and heavy armor. How best do I build this?

I can live without 9th level spells
>>
>>44549046
How powerful of spells we're talking about here? Eldrich Knight might be just what you're looking for, if it's nothing very big.
>>
>>44549046
Eldricht knight, and talk to your gm about allowing the whole spell list from wizards, not only evocation and abjuration.

Otherwise, a favoured soul life sorcerer?
>>
>>44549246
Hoping for at least 6th or 7th
>>
>>44548147

Newcomers are fine - there's a difference between being new, and being lazy.

Surely the first thing, as a DM, you'd do if you saw something and went "That sounds like horseshit" isn't to go bleating to the internet about how it's ridiculous, but rather just open up the PHB (which you'd have to have read to have the 4d6 in the first place), and read on the very same page, in fact THE SAME SENTENCE, that you drop the lowest.
>>
>>44549307
I have a suggestion. It may not be anything grand but what you can do is go a bladesinger wizard and beg your DM to let you be a mountain dwarf. If this works out grab the heavily armored feat at lvl 4 and focus on buff spells and magic missile. If this backfires eldrich knight is the only reliable option but at best you can only cast Lvl 4 spells.
>>
I need ideas for tavern job board postings/odd jobs because I lack creativity and am an awful DM, and my players are mere sessions from discovering what a hack I am.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>44549504
A silver moon a day for good laborers, supper meals provided to hard workers. - Baron T. Pugsworth.

Pig shit in need of hauling. See Filthy Tom down the road.
>>
>>44549307
Well, that's somewhat hard to make, so you'll end up sacrifying something.
My suggestion? Make a Paladin/Sorcerer. str + cha. By levels 13-14 with sorc,rest of Paladin, you'll have access to the most spell before it being a waste, extra attack and your armor, as well as having a few Paladin spells. You'll be able to turn unused spells into smite and heal your shitty hp as well.
I say Sorc because then you don't gimp yourself too much since no martial besides eldrich knight ever uses int, but both of the classes above have use for cha. The spells known will also likely be enough for your porpuses.

For downsides, well, I haven't tested this, but you can already see you'll have some bad HP, you'll also have to pick wild magic, since one of draconic's features is a waste if you use armor. Thankfully, 14th levels in Sorc is enough to protect you from Wild magic's fun. You'll also miss the end Oath's powers.
>>
>>44549504

Have you tried running a book? Hoard of the Dragon Queen is a great one for beginner DM's, they cover pretty much every base for you.

Otherwise, any mission that has a twist is usually pretty great. Here's one I saw on this board a while back that I ran and my players thought it was the jam.

>Job posting to help kill a medusa
>Go to camp outside of old ruins where she lives
>They tell you about how she kidnapped a villager and brought him back here.
>They tried an earlier raid, lost some men and retreated.
>There's a big front entrance, and a small back entrance, they ask your party to flank through the back while they assault the front.
>Back entrance leads right to medusa's lair.
>When PC's arrive, they find medusa already dead from wounds from previous battle.
>Find lots of love letters from a villager.
>Learn that the villager knew she was a medusa, but didn't care, their romance via letter has been going on for years.
>Final note to Medusa before departing, villager writes "I hope those bandits aren't on to me and try to follow me here for your treasure!"
>Party realizes the medusa hunters were really road bandits tracking the lover to the treasure.
>Party decides what to do.
>>
File: grouchy cat.jpg (26 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
grouchy cat.jpg
26 KB, 500x332
>>44549690
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen is a great one for beginner DM's, they cover pretty much every base for you.
Why would you do this to someone. You are the worst, anon.
>>
If a creature banished by an Arcana Domain's Arcane Abjuration Chanel Divinity is banished for a full minute and is a foreigner to this plane, is it banished permanently? The class feature doesn't say, but it does say that the creature is banished like the spell banishment
>>
>>44549722

That was the first book I ran and it went really well for me. I guess your mileage may very.
>>
File: dog.jpg (32 KB, 736x484) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
32 KB, 736x484
>>44549690
>Hoard of the Dragon Queen is a great one for beginner DM's, they cover pretty much every base for you.

LMoP fits exactly what he's saying and here you are you saying this god awful piece of advice.
>>
Have you used the Firearms from the DMG in your campaigns yet?
>>
>>44549504
>In need of adventurers at the lumber mill. Details will be discussed at the mill. 100 GP for a job well done.
(Essentially they need adventurers to kill some wild and dangerous animals that are attacking the lumber jacks as of recently)

>Museum in need of extra protection. Applicants please see Mr. Copperworth at the local museum to set up an interview. 10 GP per day of work and complimentary meals and rooms for all those who qualify.
(Also a big reward from Mr. Copperworth after they defeat some group of bandits or cultists or whatever who try to rob the place because of reasons)
>>
>>44549774
I'd say yes, but I'm not sure how RAW goes this way since "as in X other feature/spell" isn't always that clear. But since it's an equivalent to Destroy Undead but for extraplanar creatures, I'd say it's fine.
>>
>>44549786
You're the exception, not the rule. HotDQ is generally regarded as a poorly-paced meatgrinder.
>>
>>44549956
Not him but I ran it for friends after LMoP and it went great. They started at 5th level, which I felt was a good level for HotDQ
>>
I'd still like to see an Evocation Wizard pull a Tien with Overchannel against the BBEG
>>
>>44550016

I ran it and started my characters at the 2nd level. Ended up being just fine. I went through the first four chapters as a PC before I ran it and we started at the 1st level. Tougher, but no one died.

We had good battlefield controllers, though. I'm sure a slash n blast party would run out of HP soon enough.
>>
>>44549956

Why is it that whenever 4chan comes to a consensus on something, everyone I ever play with thinks the opposite? This happens all the time.

I'm beginning to think that most of the people in this thread don't actually roll that much.
>>
>>44550735
>4chan comes to a consensus on something
Not that anon, but the other RPG discussion boards (GITP, ENWorld, bits of reddit, etc) tend to think the same way about 5e starting modules. PotA is regarded as better than HotDQ, although that doesn't preclude the possibility that your group had fun playing the latter.

A lot of opinions here tend to migrate from non-anonymous boards where more intelligent discussion happens. Though by the time they arrive at 4chan they tend to be influenced by the oversimplification and vitriol typical to this site.
>>
File: e92.jpg (23 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
e92.jpg
23 KB, 380x380
>>44546335

>dumping WISDOM
>EVER

This is me speaking from bias -- my DM loves to throw wisdom saving throws at us all the fucking time.
>>
>>44546335

How did you end up with two 16's AND 14 Con? Try again.

Also, dump Dex instead of Int. Playing with 8 Int sucks because you're dumber than a run-of-the-mill peasant.
>>
>>44551236
>Your GM
>Wis throws

Nigga, wis is arguably the most important saving throw is the game. While Dex is usally the most common, missing a save against Wis usually has awful consequences, regarding not only some spells which can make you a potato (or if you're really unlucky, getting hit with a violet prismatic spell) but also a fuck ton of monster skills.
There's a reason no one gets both Dex and Wis unless they have feats. (Or either of those with Con, but everyone has at least +2 con)
>>
>>44550735
I've played HOTDQ. Our druid got one shot by the bugbear.

Its not Tomb of Horrors, but it isnt exactly balanced.
>>
>>44551549

To be fair to Gygax ToH was DESIGNED to kill motherfuckers.

It was meant to play like one of those fatal gameshows popular in dystopian futures.
>>
>>44549504
The family of someone killed by monsters has asked the party to retrieve their loved one's remains, so that they can have a proper burial. I recently ran this for my party and it lead to a lot of funny/horrific shenanigans regarding the transportation of a half-eaten corpse through monster country.
>>
>>44551269
>dumping dex

Nah.

The effects of intelligence are nebulous and almost wholly "muh opinions" territory. Perceived intelligence is based off charisma, its just that some leaders have policies that seem good at the time but cause unintended regional or global devastation years or decades later.
>>
>>44551777
Yeah, ToH was never meant to used as a home adventure, it was specifically set up as a convention-style game so people could bring their most overpowered home characters and still get killed to death by minor fuckups, with people regularly dying so the next guy in line could get a chance to play.
>>
File: now listen here faggot.png (1 MB, 1715x962) Image search: [Google]
now listen here faggot.png
1 MB, 1715x962
>>44544940
Finally, the long awaited session with looooads of battles arrived. My barbarian did have goddamn fun today.

>It's a cave that was reeking of death
>We see a corpse right at the entrance
>As we go further on the cave, we hear a moaning behind us
>The fucking corpse is trying to stand up
>The rogue deals with it
>Duriing all our travel on the cave we have many encounters with undeads
>Fairly easy, we had good rolls on every fight
>At the end of the cave, we find an eye-looking relic. Ominous shit.
>As our paladin reachs it, a hostile NPC appears, yelling stuff and pulling our a weird looking staff and a weird pose
>Pop Rage right away, rush him with Reckless Charge. I deal 14 points of damage.
>The fucker uses a spell to drain life to heal 7 from my hit point pool
>My group comes to help right away, we manage to deplete back the life drained.
>I deal another 14 points of damage using inspiration on my attack
>As he's seeing he's about to die, the faggot unleashes a barrage of magic missiles using all his strength, hoping to kill one of us (Me the most)
>Luckily no one dies
>The paladin finishes the job, and the fucker burns on dark flames
>I spit on the remains and release a victory cry

I ommited a lot of details, but I didn't know how beautiful it was to be a huge mass of muscles wrecking shit in front of you until now. Goddamn.
>>
>>44551832
>Int 8: Cirno
>Int 6: Forrest Gump
>Int 4: Sling Blade
>>
>>44551832
>Perceived intelligence is based off charisma
Yes, and you could bluff your way into seeming intelligent in D&D, but it wouldn't help you investigate a crime scene, recall historical lore, or judge the integrity of a rickety bridge.
>>
File: eagle.gif (631 KB, 241x172) Image search: [Google]
eagle.gif
631 KB, 241x172
>>44547764
>>44547785
>>44547827
>>44547844
>>44547886
>>44547947
>>44547987
I'm fucking retarded.

Everybody else got really low rolls (a few who had a total lower than the point buy, actually) so I didn't think anything of it until he rolled his dice.

Well, fuck. Time to reread the PHB and the DMG I guess, because I should probably have a good idea of what the fuck I'm doing before I run a game.
>>
>>44551952

YA THINK?
>>
>>44551952
>Time to reread the PHB and the DMG
You're doing yourself good, anon.
>>
>>44551418
Every Class gets a common save (Dex, Con, or Wis) and an uncommon save (Str, Int, or Cha). Fun fact, 4 classes get Str save prof, 4 get Dex, 3 get Con, 3 get Int, 5 get Wis, and 5 get Cha. This means that, generally speaking, monsters or enemies that target Con and Int saves are going to be more effective than ones that target Wis or Cha saves.
>>
First time playing D&D. For what purpose does a pet mouse, from the Urchin Background, serve? What can l use it for? How can l save it from dying too quickly?
>>
>>44552047
A roleplay tool. Feed him scraps from your rations and always keep him in your pack or pocket when you can, just in case. You're in a medieval setting so the fact that he pisses and shits everywhere without care isn't a big deal, most people wipe their ass with their hands.
>>
>>44552071
Exactly.

It's just a pet mouse. It's cute. It eats cheese.

>>44552047
>How can l save it from dying too quickly?

Somebody even thinks about fucking with your pet mouse, you kill them to death.
>>
File: Blade cirno.jpg (160 KB, 428x700) Image search: [Google]
Blade cirno.jpg
160 KB, 428x700
>>44551861
>Int 8: Cirno
>Cirno's number is 9
fucking pleb
>>
>>44549046
Paladin.
>>
>>44549504
Chef needs Party to collect X amount of [Monster Part], will pay extra for extra [Monster Part] collected

Development: he is pleased with the party's handling, the meal is a success, he routinely comes to the PCs to ask them to kill more and more scarier monsters so he can cook 'em

development: the meal is botched, and the ingredient turns out poisonous / the King is allergic to the meal. now the party and the chef are all accused of murder or treason or some shit.

right off the top of my head for ya, m80, i'm high as shit 420 blaze it
>>
>>44552164
It felt fucking good for everyone on the party when our paladin smited 2 skeletons into oblivion in one single strike.

You can see that the paladin's hand starts to vibrate. A sudden light engulfs his hammer as he unleashes his charged attack upon the skeleton's skull. Tiny pieces of bones fly on every direction as the foe is mostly disintegrated. The force of the holy impact destroys the other skeleton too.
>>
>>44552047
Keep it around, buy aditional food even if your DM asks for more money. Carry it on your shoulder when in safe places, maybe giving it a name and occasionally talking to it. Keep him away from other PCs. Make bad decisions that are protective of it.
Avenge his death when it inevitably happens.
>>
>>44552047
Get a pet rat. Ratties are 1000000x better than mice
>>
>>44547450
>While DM'ing, some guy walking around doing 3 stunning strikes could wreck some of my encounters
Monks can already do that, if they have enough ki. In fact they can try stunning strike up to 4 times on a turn.
>>
How should I handle artifical limbs and simulacra. I have a player that wants a mechanical arm with a built in blade after he lost his in a fight,
>>
>>44547537
>Another good idea is to give monks 2 well selected and scaling cantrips they can cast without spending resources like with the ki features and giving them an extra bonus action instead of extra attack.
Gotta say, that sounds like a terrible idea.
>>
>>44552372
What the fuck, how? Unless they multiclass into fighter I can't see it happening.
>>
>>44552379
Tell him to gb240k.
>>
>>44552415
I'd rather accomodate my players.
>>
>>44545682

Chaotic Stupid, everyone.
>>
>>44551842
I played tomb of horrors with the most dick ass DM ever. I ended up dying in the first room. The rest of the party barely made it out alive after a 2nd person died in the fourth room they entered.

So HotDQ is really as bad as that monstrosity? My group is considering playing it soon so if it's that bad I plan to go full powerbuild so I don't die like a bitch.
>>
>>44552379
If you want it not fully functional limit it to 1 attack per round maybe. 1d8 damage. Proficiency after training with it for a certain amount of time. Make it light if they want to dual wield. Not hard to work out senpai.
>>
>>44549650
There's also straight up Valor Bard if you take the heavy armor feat, but low levels will be rough, as you start with Light Armor.
>>
>>44551856
I enjoy bearbarian a lot. You ignore so much damage while being able to crush foes like ants under your mighty maul/ greataxe/ greatsword
>>
>>44552415
Give him the option to allow slashing damage with unarmed strikes.

If he wants a proficiency, he can train for it.
>>
>>44552413
Two normal attacks from being lv 5+ in monk
Two unarmed only attacks as a bonus action from Flurry of Blows (costing 1 ki)
Stunning Strike is a choice you make when hit with an attack (Costs 1 per attempt)

You could be hasted for one more attack also, if there were 5 people you absolutely had to stun.
>>
>>44552488
It's not that deadly really. There are 1 or 2 parts that are hard due to editing mistakes. The real problem with it is how linear and railroady it is. A good DM can make it pretty great if they spend a lot of time adding extra things to it, making directions more clear so the players know what they need to do, etc. It's a very subpar module, but it's... workable with a good DM.

There a plenty of other choices if your DM is willing to convert other modules to 5e (not hard at all really).
>>
>>44552430
>>44552581 was meant for you.
>>
>>44552593
Can't move between the flurry and a single attack. Unless you were near 3 enemies, then you might waste some of it.
>>
I'm supposed to be running Princes of the Apocalypse soon for our group. Our group is what I like to call "stuck in past editions."

They still think you need a 30 AC and +14 to hit at mid levels, and our last game turned into an absolute clusterfuck because we had everybody with 20s and 16s in every ability scores (4d6 drop lowest REROLL 1s and 2s) and christmas tree magic item ornaments for everyone. Encounters were either really easy, or near total party kills every time. There was no plot, no goals, and eventually no interest.

I'm making everyone use the standard stat array (15,14 13, 12 10, 8) and magic items are going to be pretty much unavailable until much higher levels.

Should I just check out now and find a different group to run this with, or stick to my guns? This game just isn't 3.5 or Pathfinder, but they just don't seem to get that.
>>
>>44552302
>Avenge his death when it inevitably happens.
Fuck, l will. l fucking will.
>>
>>44552643
>Can't move between the flurry and a single attack.
But that's wrong. Characters are free to split up their movement however they want before, between, and after attacks.
>>
>>44552643
Yes you can. Bonus actions can be taken whenever. You can move between attacks. Etc. This has been discussed to death.
>>
>>44552643
Not that it matters for this, but you can move between each attack.
>>
>>44552603

>linear and railroady

It really is. There's a lot of potential if you want to re-write a lot of it, but the newer stuff (Princes, Out of the Abyss) is much better. HotDQ and Rise of Tiamat were just...rushed. If Kobold Press had more time, they probably would have redone some of the bad parts.
>>
File: 1451772955777.jpg (100 KB, 851x761) Image search: [Google]
1451772955777.jpg
100 KB, 851x761
>>44545728
Not him, but I do not quite understand the concept of "That Guy", since I'm still fairly new to DnD. Is it the typical player on the group that fucks shit up?
>>
>>44552697
>>44552707
>>44552724
It says immediately after you make an attack. Doesn't that mean the monk can't make other actions between the attack and flurry?
>>
>>44552790
Other actions. Movement afaik isn't an action.
>>
File: Mars_23_aug_2003_hubble[1].jpg (125 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
Mars_23_aug_2003_hubble[1].jpg
125 KB, 1600x1600
hey /5eg/

I need not one but TWO reasons for wars to have started in my homebrewlands.

>The wars started 300 years apart
>Can be related or not
>Dragons were common but most died off a long time ago
>Only two major factions are a financially focused and well defended Goblin empire and a series of small towns and cities that are loosely related. The conflict does not need to be between Goblins and everyone else
>>
>>44552790
Just take us on our word. There's been hundreds of posts of discussion, consulting the developers, etc. Just accept it and move on.
>>
>>44552790
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/501387785065218048
>>
>>44552603
>>44552743
Well though the DM that proposed playing this module is a good one and I'm sure can work some extra stuffin based on what character are played, it's also AL so there is a certain level of restriction expected when playing in a campaign. Thanks for the heads up though. The only modules I have played are LMoP and OotA (the latter still being in progress) so I didn't know any of the modules were more railroaded than those.
>>
>>44552838
>New resource found near a border between belligerent A and belligerent B
>Both claim it
>War Ensues

---------

>Hitler Analogue becomes glorious leader
>Forms cult of personality
>Attacks other country because they have shiny things that belong to Hitler Analogue and/or DEUS VULT
>War Ensues
>>
File: 61JBRQAA96L.jpg (65 KB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
61JBRQAA96L.jpg
65 KB, 385x500
>>44552603
>>44552743

If you WANT to play a linear as fuck adventure there are much better options out there.
>>
>>44552767
That Guy is just an umbrella term for someone no one wants to play with because they're an asshole at the table. Having your character be a fucking mental case who's arbitrarily violent and then plotting revenge against your "shitty" party for not putting up with your bullshit is one example of That Guy behavior.
>>
File: PotA Necromancer's Cave.jpg (108 KB, 455x630) Image search: [Google]
PotA Necromancer's Cave.jpg
108 KB, 455x630
>>44551856
Enjoy PotA, anon.
>>
>>44552767
That's the basic idea, but there are a lot of permutations. Being a problem player alone is not enough to be labeled That Guy, but it helps.

A new player with a shaky grasp of the rules who slows the game down is NOT That Guy, and properly instructing him and helping him gain literacy with the rules is encouraged. On the contrary, the player who's been with the group for months and still doesn't really know how their character works is closer to being That Guy. The player who deliberately pushes the rules until the DM calls him on his shit is almost definitely That Guy, especially if he stops the game to argue about it.

The guy who forgets his books occasionally is not that guy; the guy who eats Cheetos and borrows books without wiping his fingers off is That Guy.

There are other examples, but it's a combination of willful ignorance, inconsiderate behavior, and generally not caring that there are other people at the table.
>>
>>44552649

The proper term is Grognard.
They can be a pain to deal with at first, but most of the ones I know came to begrudgingly enjoy 5e despite being not 3.5.

I'll add though that there's nothing forcing you to play low-magic. The DM determines what drops and what the party fights, so if flaming greatswords and orc slaying for everyone is what they enjoy... why not just give it to them?
>>
>>44552838
Just rip off wars from history. Most of the good ideas have already been done IRL.

Many real wars start like this:
>person in position of power dies
>their true successor is disputed
>land or wealth they controlled is fought over
Or like this:
>empire seizes control of less-developed region
>citizens are abused or grow restless
>a revolution happens

Perhaps the Goblin empire is divided when their leader dies, and the surrounding settlements pick sides with those vying for the throne. When one potential heir is assassinated. their followers retaliate with force and the entire empire loses its shit.

When that war ends, the settlements who sided with the winning heir would remain under the rule of the new emperor, although those towns may have been independent before the conflict. After a few centuries, the outlying settlements wish to shed their shackles, as they see no merit in being united with the goblins. This leads to an alliance of towns trying to create a republic, resulting in a revolutionary war between the empire and its colonies.

Either war could be made more interesting by having the more desperate side resort to powerful magic or an ancient super-weapon (like a dragon), devastating the landscape and threatening a cataclysmic event.
>>
>>44553306
>why not just give it to them?
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.
Never compromise.
>>
>>44553414

I love how Moore made the Ditko-Question parody character a crazy homeless man to say "Look at these ideas and judge them as harshly as I do" and he's everyone's favorite.
>>
>>44552649
You're overreacting by forcing them to use the standard stat array. Just use 4d6 drop lowest without any re-rolls, or do points buy.

My low-level campaign has one (potentially missed) magic item per dungeon, and it works pretty well. Players like finding unique or magical items as rewards, even if they aren't very powerful ones. Personally, I wouldn't remove them entirely from low-level dungeons.
>>
>>44553553
Rorschach was right.
>>
>>44553625
>My low-level campaign has one (potentially missed) magic item per dungeon
So, Legend of view Zelda-ish. Sounds neat.
>>
>>44553677
>Legend of view Zelda
I've given up on asking how my keyboard comes up with the X e things.
>>
>>44553640

I know, Alan screwed up real hard on that one.
He was crazy, had a bunch of woman/mommy issues and was prone to inappropriate violence.

But the crazy nutso bum was right about everything.
>>
>>44553553
The irony was not lost on me when I made the post. Rorschach is an unsubtle jab at a character who's a Randian wet dream; he's now quoted unironically by self-righteous college dorks everywhere.

>>44553306 & >>44552649
Actual response: grognards gonna grog. Run the game, solicit feedback, meet somewhere in the middle.

If it stops being fun, stop playing. No game is better than a shit game.
>>
Has anyone homebrewed a good Death Knight class?
>>
>>44553677
It's not much like Zelda, where the magic items are placed in your path and vital to your quest. Rather, they're usually hidden in secret or dangerous areas to reward exploration.
>>
>>44554181

A what class?

Why would Death Knight be a class? A Death Knight is a monster.
>>
>>44554181
I don't play WoW, but wouldn't Eldrich Knight or Paladin work for that?
>>
>>44554181
Just be a paladin of vengeance, or oathbreaker, and either fluff yourself as a skeleton or get your dm to allow to apply the DMG's Zombie template on yourself and give up on healing.

>>44554248
Sometimes people like having options, though a death knight is no more of a monster than the knight found later in the MM. That is, its a title that some players want to have.

>>44554259
Paladin. A death knight in DnD is literally an undead paladin
>>
>>44554181
The Oathbreaker is a good fit, if your DM allows evil.

There's an Oath of Blood floating around too, but it's shit.
>>
File: Drizzt.png (87 KB, 217x338) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt.png
87 KB, 217x338
Sup /tg/, looking for some advice.

Just hit 5th level Swashbuckling rogue in a 5E campaign.

Group makeup:

Moon druid, shadow monk, necro wizard, me

Long story short - my character is based loosely on Riddick (Vin Diesel).

My plan was to get up in monsters faces, kill things, and dance around, but it has proven quite difficult, as the monk isn't terribly tanky, and the druid bear form is starting to lose power.

Most of the addtl. rogue stuff coming up doesn't seem terribly appealing, so I was thinking of maybe multi classing to try and mix it up.

It appears fighter would be the best option, as I can't really do ranger (lacking the wisdom), but I would appreciate any advice.

I don't think multiple levels in fighter would make sense, as medium armor is basically useless, and extra attack isn't terribly great either for a rogue.

Current stats:

Drow Rogue (Swashbuckler)

10 str
18 dex
14 con
10 wis
8 int
16 cha
>>
>>44554319

>Sometimes people like having options

I know, I'm used to playing 3.5, which is probably the RPG with the most options that exists. (Not counting shit like mixing different concepts of GURPS together)

But Death Knight, in D&D, isn't and shouldn't be a class. "Lich" shouldn't be a class either. A Death Knight is an iconic D&D monster with specific powers, not just an undead paladin.

Playing monsters sucks anyway, it didn't even work in 3.5 when there were actually rules for it, it's fucking impossible to balance properly. It's a prime example of why having options for everything won't always lead to something good.

Seriously, the only reason anyone would be coming into a D&D game wanting to play a "Death Knight" would be because they came straight from WoW.
>>
File: Grim Knight v2.2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Grim Knight v2.2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44554181
Saw this, would that work?
>>
I need ideas for dildo materials that would exist in a D&D setting. I want to make a Ranger that tracks beasts and sculpts dildo's to sell to perverted nobles. He hunts almost everything, trolls, lions, gorillas, centaurs, giants, kobolds, goblins, bugbears, owlbears, giant hyenas, anything he can find. He kills them and measures they're dicks and logs the data in his Phallic Beastiary journal. Eventually I want to like multiclass into something so I can enchant the dildos. He actually doesn't like his job its just something he does to make money though I think on a deeper level he just has a morbid fascination with how fucked up his clients can be. I think it would be fun to play a character with a bunch of contacts that hes the only one that knows their super shady side.

His name is Lan Gutlee
>>
>>44554608

Stop
>>
Hi, I'm pretty new to D&D. Started playing 5E a while ago, just about to hit level 4. I'm lawful neutral so while I don't go out of my way to help other people, I do it when I can and avoid hurting them for personal gain, and I obviously try to respect the law of the land/local authorities as much as reasonable. I want your advice on something.

Anyway, pretty much everyone else in my party just wants to maximize loot and gold. That's it. For example, there's a chaotic neutral guy who's basically playing hardcore evil in terms of wanting to murder/rob/extort NPCs we encounter simply because he can get away with it and it'll maximize his income. Or if there are two NPCs having a conflict, his first instinct is to kill one of them to "solve" it, instead of trying to mediate. I can understand our evil guy doing this, but we've got two other neutrals (including a lawful neutral) and two goods, but I'm the only one that actually argues against this shit.

One aggravating thing is that when I asked the neutral guy why he was acting so evil so often, he said "well alignments don't really mean anything anyway". I get that D&D alignments aren't perfect, but what's the point of saying you're neutral then acting like a complete evil bastard? And mind you, not for the sake of roleplaying as an evil bastard, but for the sake of "powergaming" (if that's the proper use of the term). It just feels like they're soulless video game characters who kill everything they see on sight and walk into peasants' houses to steal everything they own.

How do I best combat this? Or should I just give up and join them in mindless killing and looting? One idea I had was to just make my character "snap" because of the party, formally change my alignment to CE, and then proceed to dwarf the rest of them in evil bastardy to the point that hopefully they'll be the ones getting annoyed. What do you think?
>>
>>44554608
whew almost forgot I was on 4chan for a second, thanks for reminding me

I would say ivory is luxurious and adamantium +1 would be the top of the line
>>
What supplies would you recommend a new player and his crew buy?
>>
>>44554581

>Seriously, the only reason anyone would be coming into a D&D game wanting to play a "Death Knight" would be because they came straight from WoW.

Um, I wanted to play a Death Knight way way waaaaaaay back in AD&D.

There is also justification for Death Knight as a class. The DK in its first incarnation was described as a fallen paladin turned into a lich by a demon prince, believed to be Demogorgon.

Why do I mention this? Well, it has stuff liches didn't have, and it had stuff paladins, fallen, anti, or otherwise didn't have.

All in all it sounds way more like a class or prestige class of its own than anything like a conventional monster, or just a template slapped on a paladin.
>>
>>44554743
Player's Handbook. The DM should download the Starter Set stuff from the Mega and run it.
>>
>>44554581
>Seriously, the only reason anyone would be coming into a D&D game wanting to play a "Death Knight" would be because they came straight from WoW.
I assumed the poster was talking about adapting the WoW class to D&D, rather than playing as the monster. That makes more sense to me.
>>
>>44554743

>Buying
>From the HasJew

Don't

Use a pdf for character creation and print out the quick rules for reference during play.
>>
>>44554587
> SPECTRAL CHAAAAAAAAAINNNSSSS
>>
>>44554677
Turn them into the authorities.
>>
>>44554677
I've found that for the vast majority of problems solving this out of character is the best solution. It sounds like the issue is with game expectations I'd talk with him and the DM and find out what type of game is actually being played at the table.

Theres virtually no world where you can act like a massive asshole wide spread and get way with it. repercussions should be coming from the DM. I'd probably attempt to capture him, and bring him to trial with penalty of hanging.

>you need me to stop X greater evil
is not an excuse I'd accept in my setting because most courts are ruled by justicars chosen by angels. They'd understand that allowing a lesser evil to live to stop a greater evil undermines the very purpose that you're trying to protect.

Hang the bitch.
>>
>>44554608
Ivory, bone, treated wood (make sure it's smooth), silver or gold-plated metal, maybe rubber (if the right plants exist in his climate). For a discrete, up-market dildo, consider an innocuous-looking disc of enchanted stone that is attuned to its owner, and will conjure a phallus made of magical force when a command word is uttered.
>>
>>44554677
5e alignments are totally pointless and contradictory. A chaotic neutral character really will do whatever he wants, lawful good characters will happily enslave and genocide those society deems worthy of such, and chaotic good and lawful evil aren't necessarily opposed (the former is be good according to your conscience, and lawful evil means that you take what you will within the limits of your code of conduct).
>>
The MM says there are only 24 Devas, do we know any of them?
>>
>>44554550
I would advise picking up the toughness feat if you want tankiness without multiclassing, but you could also take a single level dip into fighter for the second wind and defense fighting style as well as proficiency in shields and be a S&B swashbuckler rouge. That way you would have roughly 19 AC and a once per short rest heal.
>>
>>44554677
Also I should add that "for me" I have a personal rule of "the party goes down together". I will and will never play a character that betrays the party, if I'm playing a paladin I'll fall from grace before breaking the party, I'll rescue our chaotic evil psychopath from hell itself before breaking the party. I'll lead the party into a tpk before I'd let our single rogue get surrounded and killed.

The only one dealing death and punishing stupidity should be the DM imo. Party trust is too important to risk over anything even if your character might go against it.

I guess this sort of makes me a player vs DM type of gamer, but not really, everyone should be playing with the goal of having a good time. I just see the party and DM as separate entities at the table.
>>
File: Lumière.jpg (243 KB, 942x1200) Image search: [Google]
Lumière.jpg
243 KB, 942x1200
>>44554922
I was thinking an enchanted talking dildo like Lumière from Beauty and the Beast.
>>
>>44554985

Yeah, not a bad idea. I think I'll do the single level dip for fighter next level.
>>
>>44555037
Enjoy getting bullied into roleplaying things contrary to the character you want to play, I guess. Why even ask for help with a problem if you're not going to try to solve it?
>>
File: 1451682382269.jpg (229 KB, 593x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451682382269.jpg
229 KB, 593x1000
Character idea:

He has been an apprentice blacksmith for 10 years, just recently a journeyman and creating work of acceptable quality. He has always been quite self-conscious about his work. To get by, he has had to sell his low-quality arms and armor a handful of times throughout his apprenticeship. However, his master is strict about the quality of product that was sold to customers and never allowed apprentice work to be sold, so the apprentice smith did so in secret and would make it out to be stolen.

Now that he is out on his own as a journeyman, he has taken it upon himself to hunt down each of the poor quality items he had sold behind his master's back and destroy them, to clear his conscious and prevent any tarnish to his master's smithy. Unfortunately, he has not the coin to buy the items back, and asking politely does not often convince the current owners of the items - mostly bandits and brutes who care little for the quality of their arms and armor - to relinquish their possessions. When the blacksmith-turned-fighter is unable to employ diplomacy, he turns to the only other thing he knows: the swing of a mighty hammer.
>>
>>44554677

Is everyone in your party new?

A lot of people that play like how you're describing are the kind of player that will basically play one D&D campaign in their life, lose interest and quit and if not they'll eventually get bored of playing a shitty tabletop version of a hack and slash video game and get into the roleplaying spirit.

This might sound rude, but can I ask how old the people in the group are? What you're describing sounds pretty endemic of a "Teenager's first D&D game"

If you wanna keep playing but still stop this bullshit you could consider tagging along and continually ask your GM if there's something like a temple of Saint Cuthbert or a local Paladin order nearby, and if there is you can go tattle on your party, getting TPKed by an overwhelming force might make them realize that they're living in a world with powers outside of themselves. Though naturally this all hitches on your GM actually being interested in turning the game around and/or wanting the world to at least be believable. If the GM is perfectly content to let shit trundle along like this forever then there's not much you can do.
>>
>>44555130
I was the anon that gave >>44554876 advice.

The person that posted the question sounds like he'd break the party.
>>
>>44554873
>>44554876
Would there be a smart way to get the authorities on their backs? Perhaps a clandestine way, so that they don't necessarily know it was me? Could I slip a note to the DM saying... something? I don't want to be "that guy" who just walks up to a guard one day and says "these guys are criminals, arrest them", and ends the game for everyone like that, or something.

>>44555037
Well, I've always stuck with the party despite this stuff. The really annoying thing is that the chaotic neutral guy, along with the other lawful neutral guy, tried to hide a secret from the rest of us, for no real reason (we forced it out of them and they had no reason to lie about what they were). So they're actually breaking up party trust.

>>44555152
The DM is a veteran, the chaotic neutral guy has played a few campaigns before. Everyone else is new. We're all about 20-21. The DM is a nice guy and runs the game very well for the most part, but he doesn't seem like the assertive type who could make a "hard"/"unpopular" decision like what everyone's suggesting.
>>
File: latest.jpg (54 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
54 KB, 640x427
I have the option to craft pic related in my game. How do I stat it?
>>
>>44555131
Is the character going to begin the game at the start of the findings all the shit quest or at the end? The start might make things a bit awkward story wise.
>>
>>44555187

>Would there be a smart way to get the authorities on their backs? Perhaps a clandestine way, so that they don't necessarily know it was me? Could I slip a note to the DM saying... something?

Dude, this is way, waaaaay, outside of our sphere of knowledge at this point, we can't really know how your GM runs his game.

What you should definitely do is take this conversation up outside of the game world, have a talk with just your GM if you're not comfortable going against 3-5 other people at once (which I could totally understand) try to explain to him what your issue with the game is an whether or not he sees it your way. If he does you can either ask him to talk to the rest of the players for you or hatch some in-game plan about you tattling on the authorities while the rest of the party is drinking at an inn or whatever.
>>
>>44555129
Glad I could help.

One advantage rogues get over other classes as well is that they are one of two classes that get more than 5 ASI. SO you can easily max your con and dex with one extra slot for toughness and still get the single level dip in fighter, but thats only if the game pushes to lvl 20. Just sayin.
>>
>>44555209
Vorpal longsword with expensive rounds that can be expended to make one attack as an action that, if it hits, activates the vorpal ability.
>>
>>44555187
The newer DM guides never talk about KEEPING THESE ANIMALS IN LINE. Its not like "don't fuck with the DM" came out of nowhere. Sure players might get mad immediately after they get put back in their place but I don't care what new guides say the number 1 job of the DM is being arbiter of the world, his number 1 food is reading about histories and biographies so that he can adapt and judge the outcomes of actions along with the dice.

The game world doesn't exist for the players to fuck up and have it bend around them, there can and should be a greater power to keep them in line.
>>
>>44554550
Why would Riddick be a Swashbuckler
>>
>>44555229
I figured he would have found and destroyed a few prior to meeting the rest of the party and getting tied up in whatever they are doing. Assume the DM will incorporate it into the campaign, maybe do a perception check on candidates wearing shoddy armor. To keep it relevant after the party is fighting bigger targets than lowly bandits, perhaps when he was 'stealing' work to sell, he stole some of his master's high-quality work as well and sold that, which is now in the possession of some big name evildoers.
>>
>>44555276
>>44555316
Well, thanks for your advice. I guess it'll come down to the DM. I'll try to pitch some plan to him as best as I can, rather than just complaining. Maybe I'll have my character start keeping a log of crimes in a language nobody else knows, then turn it in secretly to some guards or a paladin or something.
>>
>>44555209
Depends on whether of not its in a modern setting or if its in medieval setting. If its modern then the DMG has some gun stats you could look at, but if medieval then heavy crossbow for the gun part. Either way the katana is a shortsword in terms of stats and properties. Damage type is a mute point but slashing would be appropriate.
>>
>>44555330
As long as you're cool with the main baddies also "just happening" to be the ones with the equipment, yeah it works.
>>
>>44555358

>I'll try to pitch some plan to him as best as I can, rather than just complaining

Not that trying to pitch an in-game plan is a bad idea, but you really should consider telling him about what your problem is in the first place.

You're not an asshole or a bad person or a "traitor" for airing your legitimate, honestly felt grievances.
>>
>>44555378
Could be their henchmen etc, so I don't think it would be that farfetch'd as long as the campaign happened in the same general region. Though items of high enough quality could reasonably travel far. I agree that it is a bit lacking, and I will keep developing it.
>>
>>44555111
Interesting idea for the right customer, but I think most of the appeal of a dildo is that you don't have to socialize with them outside of pleasuring yourself. Nice trips.
>>
>>44555409
What I meant was, I'll air my grievances, but I'll also offer a plan to solve them. Not just about being an asshole, but I think the DM might find it harder to solve on his own.
>>
>>44555131
Sounds cool. I recently played a Neutral Good Fighter with a similar premise, she was a gunsmith who worked for several years for her setting's version of Smith & Wesson. Eventually she moved up the ranks to being a full partner, meaning she got to take a look at the business ledgers and (after investigating for a few weeks) realized that her company was selling weapons to bandits and highwaymen. She sabotaged her own company, grabbed some weapons she'd made, and made it her mission to hunt down every gun she ever unwittingly put into the hands of a murderer. So, Tony Stark but a woman and also not as much of a dick.

My GM was even a big enough bro to make a custom Fighter specialization based off of the Weapon Master and the Gunslinger class from Pathfinder. Crazy fun game right there.
>>
>>44555209
Cursed: While attuned to this item the owner's memories are fragmented and difficult to recall as if broken. They even forget their own name. Should the owner be attuned for more than 1 week, they can no longer tell simple things like changing seasons, and are compelled to find worthy adversaries to fight so that they may be the only one left capable of wielding weaponry at such a high skill level. They become convinced that bloodshed is all they have ever known.
>>
>>44555525
kek
>>
>>44555474
I really advise against solving this problem in game. If you aren't the DM.
>>
Do you think they will ever truly add Psionics to the game? Not just a shitty UA footnote?
>>
File: Antipaladin.jpg (103 KB, 500x674) Image search: [Google]
Antipaladin.jpg
103 KB, 500x674
>>44554181
>Death Knight class

Paladin. Act like a death knight should act. Get some scary armor. Make your Find Steed mount spooky, like a skeletal warhorse or something.
>>
>>44555855
God I hope not
>>
>>44555720
The only reason I say this is because cahoot-sing with the DM to solve the problem removes the DM's position as an non bias arbiter and it will come of later. Either it needs to be handled player to player or DM to player. Essentially its like if you had a girlfiriend who gave bad head and instead of telling her about it you complained to her best friend instead. Like its a situation thats going to blow up and some point and its going to be really shitty when it happens.

Just tell him hes being a shitty role player and he needs to step it up.
>>
>>44555855
Without a doubt.
>>
>>44555855

If they ever do Dark Sun for this edition maybe.
>>
>>44555886
And then save maidens while berating them for not checking for signs of vampirism beforehand, I mean jeez, i know you're a noble but this is basic shit kiddo.
>>
>>44554181
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429503-Paladin-Oath-of-Blood-Final-Fantasy-Dark-Knight-5E-Conversion-(PEACH)
>>44554471
How would you make it better?
>>
>>44545354

Our Fighter survived being hanged three times so they let her go because it was taken as a sign from the Gods that she was innocent.

That was a based DM, but the odds weren't in her favour.
>>
>>44555945
I wasn't around for 4th, was there dark sun in that? I don't recall it in 3rd, other than a brief mention in Expanded Psionics Handbook.
>>
>>44555886

The Oathbreaker Paladin actually has everything it would need, all it's lacking is "Being Undead" which is a bit important to the overall concept, that could be solved with some sort of homebrewed race or template, or just by everyone agreeing RP-wise that yeah this character is totes undead.
>>
>>44556078

There was a Dark Sun campaign setting for 4e, I never got ahold of it but it was pretty well received as I recall.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.