[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>angels are just evolved birds that found immortality >demons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
>angels are just evolved birds that found immortality
>demons are just evolved bats, cloven-hoofed animals, and horned animals that found immortality
>fairies are just evolved butterflies and moths that found immortality

How stupid would this be?
>>
Well the logical progression... How does one find immortality? If a human found it, what would they be transformed into?

What about a dog?
>>
>>44537587
>Angels are the spirits of birds who died in the pursuit of virtue and righteousness, given form by the mercy of God to serve Him again.
>Demons are the spirits of bats, rats, and livestock that scorned their masters and God. As punishment, the Lord twisted their forms.
>Fairies are insects that were noble in life and have forsaken the nectar of the world to spread the word of their Lord God.
>>
>>44537587
Do you want to attach the traditional moral orientations to the angels and demons? Because they'd seem kind of weird and arbitrary here.
>>
butterfly one seems the most implausible as seeing that changing and entire body system to be endoskeletal from exoskeletal alone seems like too much of a leap.
>>
>>44537906
No weirder than demons having horns, leathery wings, etc.
>>
>>44537975
Yeah it's not like they could just wrap themselves in a cocoon, melt their body into a paste, and emerge later as something drastically different then what they were before.
>>
>>44537587
Replace evolution with magical ascension or the like. Maybe various deities picked a beast and anthroified them for.. Reasons. Divine contest maybe.
>>
>>44538038
We don't have creatures that completely change division. It's too radical of a change biologically that makes no sense.
>>
>>44538096
>It's too radical of a change biologically that makes no sense.
>Angels, Demons, Fairies

Around here is when your argument falls apart.

We're talking about a fantasy setting where magic is a thing. Science need not apply unless it learns to accept that it's no longer relevant.
>>
>>44538140
The fact that OP is asking about whether it's stupid or not implies that certain logic is needed in place.

also wizard did it is a fucking terrible excuse.
Even wizard did it demands the logic of
wizard exists
wizard is capable of doing it
wizard would do it because it seems logical to do so at the time.

saying that anything goes because it's fantasy is fucking idiotic.
>>
>>44538205
He's not asking if it's stupid because he's worried it seems illogical (it obviously is).

He's asking if it's too silly, too illogical to use, and is afraid his players will flat out reject it.

Who said anything about wizards? For all we know magic is something everyone has access to in this setting, and magic has basically replaced the laws of reality.

It's his setting, not yours. Chill out.
>>
>>44538241
>He's not asking if it's stupid because he's worried it seems illogical
>He's asking if it's too illogical to use

make up your damn fucking mind

If you don't know what "wizard did it" means, lurk more.
>>
>>44538297
I'll try to explain again. He doesn't care if it's illogical. He's concerned if it's too silly.

These are two very different things. Do you not see the difference?
>>
>>44538388
he asked if it's too stupid.

OP, if you are still here,
yes, it's too stupid.
>>
>>44538456
OP, if you have magic, logic need not apply, but just to clarify for the sake of discussion, do you mean too stupid as in illogical or too ridiculous?
>>
>>44537587
Replace immortality with "mutated due to the effects of concentrated magicks in their place of origin" that then ascended to higher planes with the powers obtained.
>>
>>44537587
>>44537598
>>44538096
>>44538140
Guys guys guys
y'all niggaz are going about this all wrong and I am disappointed.
The two very things all three of these things have in common is the answer: Humanoid form and attaining immortality.
In this situation, the human form the three exhibit may not be mutually exclusive from their breaking free of their mortal coils, but a consequence thereof. They did not gain humanoid form then become immortal, they are humanoid because they became immortal.
Suddenly, we have a science to the setting we can expand upon.
/Why/ does immortality come with humanoid form?
>>
>>44539105
Immortality probably grants human form because the god of the setting looks human.

My question is what humans were before reaching immortality. I want to go with dogs personally.
>>
>>44539258
maybe humans never did, and the nature of immortality is simply not as we assume it is?
>>
>>44539105
Because to achieve immortality you need to have some form of perfection, and the human body is perfect because it can fit in both a circle and a square
>>
Humans are monkeys who evolved but never found immortality.
>>
>>44537587

>A Bird was the first Buddha
>Buddha bird got poisoned by snake
>Bat killed snake
>Bat tried to suck out the venom of the bird
>They both died and achieve inmortality
>Because of selfless sacrifice
>Bird wants to show the PATH
>Bat wants to PUNISH

> A bird was hungry
> Moth sacrificed to become the bird's meal
>Moth sacrificed to Buddha
> moth is now FAIRY
> Fairy PROTECTS nature
>>
>>44537587
Well, half the shit in Japanese folklore are various animals and objects that gained intelligence and supernatural abilities (and, for objects, animation) by being super old.

So it's not too far-fetched, assuming you're not sticking to traditional rules about moral character of angels and demons.
>>
>>44537587

Evolution doesn't work that way, so it's incredibly stupid.
>>
>>44539105
>>44539258
>>44539291
>>44542461
Maybe elves are the endpoint of the "anthropomorphize and become immortal" process for monkeys, and humans are failures who got lost along the way to immortality.
>>
>>44544141

Clean up the wording a little, and change Buddha to something more vague and nondenominational, and you have a perfect Just So story.

It makes good logical and poetic sense. In a magical setting, it's something that could have actually happened, back when the world was a little more metaphorical than it is now. It also establishes the difference between angels and demons, without making either good or evil.
>>
>>44537587
I'm going to be an aspie and say I generally don't like things like evolution and "hard-science" in my fantasy games.

I like stuff like Dofus/Wakfu - your race is literally chosen depending on which God you align most closely with.
>>
>>44537587
I dislike it.
>>
>>44537598
Either
>Tolkien elves
or
>Chinese Taoist immortals

...which animals often discovered the secret to and became super magical legendary creatures like OP mentioned
>>
>>44544196
We also don't have angels, demons, and fairies in our world.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.