[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Magic drives you insane >It cannot be used without tainting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1422773845291.jpg (250 KB, 631x891) Image search: [Google]
1422773845291.jpg
250 KB, 631x891
>Magic drives you insane
>It cannot be used without tainting yourself
>Slowly, incrementally, breaking your mind
>It is said that the Ruin of the World did this taint
>and the Preserver could do nothing to prevent it
>It is this corruption that will destroy the world for the Preserver is dead
>For ages and cycles now, men have risen up with arcane might
>And fought for Preservation in the God's place

>And not one of them realized it was Preservation that tainted it
>Ruin was denied magic forever by it
>On an immortal time scale, no small gain could justify the loss of his mind for the rest of time

What do you think?
>>
>>44534837

Non-magical setting with a magical BBEG?

Sounds neat, also.
>>
>>44535420
It's rather cliche, with Conan and all.
>>
>>44535453
no, non-magical world with a magical hero fighting against a God that can't afford to use magic. But that hero is succumbing to insanity
>>
>>44535453

Fuck the hate against cliches. Cliches are a thing because they're an easy way to evoke complex ideas and societal or cultural history with a figurative brushstroke. To deny yourself such a useful tool is to deny yourself the soul of culture and history within the narrative world. And to try and invent new cliche on the fly every time would be as difficult as turning lead into gold.
>>
>>44534837
The beginning of this post has some nice overlap with drug-trip fueled magic.
>>
>>44534837
So, um- Wheel of Time?
>>
>>44538871
sounds like a good thing to me
>>
File: 289931.jpg (267 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
289931.jpg
267 KB, 1280x800
>>44538938
WoT: The Next Cycle

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the fourth age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long past, a wind rose in the Central Mountain Range. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning. It rushed down the sloes in a massive roar that dwindled more and more on the smoking plains, until it became but a cool mountain breeze high above the city.

The sunrise was stunning above Taval, the economic capital of the Protectorate. Columns of glass and steel rising majestically above the haze of dirty streets. The first rays of light breaking through the orange layer above the river valley, entirely covered by the sprawl of housing units and mercantile districts, heralded in a new day on the grid. Ancient stories of magical warriors battling over the fate of the world remain themes of fiction in a world that has long forgotten the One Source. Cables and pipes provide for the people. But they provide better for some than they do for others.
>>
>>44534837
rip off of wheel of time
>>
>>44539450
Good job reading the room!
>>
>>44534837
>On an immortal time scale, no small gain could justify the loss of his mind for the rest of time

when push comes to shove, a lot of people will sacrifice everything to stay alive for a few more seconds, even there own minds.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ts8cPScXM
>>
>>44539206
>on that note let's talk about the dress of every woman in the city
>>
>>44543024
No, let's talk about how her clothes relate to her emotional state, and have her fidget every 30 seconds in an entirely unexpected way..
>>
>>44543024
FUCKING THIS! I loved the WoT when he actually advanced the plot (and before the original author died of course) but the level of description was mind bogglingly dense. Like slogging through Jane Eyre all over again for A-levels
>>
>>44538871
>>44539450
Or mistborn. Kinda.
>>
>>44544970
You know, I actually like that about WoT, because I listen to it on audio book. There's so much useless shit in there I can phase in and out as I get distracted and not miss anything.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.