[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I used to play MTG a long ass time ago, so I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Hey guys, I used to play MTG a long ass time ago, so I don't really belong here, I just don't know where to ask this one specific and probably stupid question.

In Magic: The Gathering, the old sealed decks are worth a fuckton of money just because it's like a lottery ticket for shit like Black Lotus and similar cards.

My question is, is it possible to - with the right equipment - weigh a black lotus (or similar) playing card to such precision that you could weigh sealed decks to determine if it contains a rare card? I'm sure each card doesn't weigh the exact same amount if you move over a few decimal places.

Practically aside, I'm just wondering if this is even possible in the real world right now. I know you'd need some laboratory-grade scale and all that shit.
>>
>>44519543
lol no, what even made you think black lotuses or whatever would be a different weight to other cards?
>>
>>44519559
I dunno, just assumed that the ink of the artwork would affect the weight eventually after a certain point.
>>
>>44519577
They've all got the same amount of ink, it's just in different patterns m8
>>
>>44519577
They all use the same amount of ink. Each dot is just a different color.

You're retarded.

The only thing you can do for weighing is checking for foils because that card is an extra card over the normal amount. The thing is, the foil may or may not be particularly valuable at all because every card in a set has equal chance of being foiled.
>>
>>44519603
>>44519620

Shit, yeah, okay. I am pretty retarded, didn't think of that. Makes total sense though. Thanks guys.

I watched some MTG starter pack unboxing and he mentioned something about "it might have been "xrayed" for the good cards", is that an actual thing too? Starting to have my doubts he's a reputable source of information.
>>
>>44519738
Not possible. Some earlier packs, like Revised maybe? they had white plastic at the top, and if you knew what you were doing you could see through the packaging to see the top of the rare.
>>
>>44519738
>it might have been "xrayed" for the good cards
Hard to tell what he means without context. There used to be a sort of card-counting voodoo where people would memorize the print layouts, and could then predict the rest of the box based on a single booster, but that was practically a superpower and WotC have randomized their boxes more.
>>
I don't know man. I know I have a box of unopened boosters in the attic when my dad got into it. In the early 90's but I don't know what's in there. I guess I'll have to check.
>>
>>44519952
Just went to check. They're unlimited edition booster packs. There's like 30 booster packs in the box. What should I do with them?
>>
>>44520146
Open them. Play with friends. Pray to God.
>>
>>44519774
There's an app that does this, booster boxes can be "mapped" to locate the expensive mythics.
>>
>>44520146
Open them carefully, sell the expensive cards. Or just mail them to me because I'm a cool guy
>>
>>44520146
Don't open them. Half a dozen of the cards in the unlimited edition set are worth more than a thousand dollars each. One is worth easy 5k. I'd sell the packs online or try to find a pack prediction app to weed out the rates and sell the rest.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.