[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: wqdte.png (11 KB, 352x455) Image search: [Google]
wqdte.png
11 KB, 352x455
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/ZRC59Vv0
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

> QM question
When will you move to another site?

> Player question
Are you getting sick of /a/ quests?
>>
>>44514552
Are there currently any quests that revolve around sailing and pirating? I remember a few decent ones that started up and promptly faded away as most do a while back.
>>
File: CVtMvT0WUAER-97.jpg (86 KB, 600x830) Image search: [Google]
CVtMvT0WUAER-97.jpg
86 KB, 600x830
>>44514552
>When will you move to another site?

I tried, it was terrible.

>Are you getting sick of /a/ quests?

If I was sick of something I would stop playing it.

Tiresome troll OP, just tiresome.

>New QM Question

How often do you rewrite your scenario mid-thread?

>New Player Question

What is the best quest that you follow with the smallest number of followers? Why do you think they have so few?

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>44514552
QM: Never. Unless I decide to do a quest on Gurochan.

PQ: Nope.

Funny thing about East Asia style quests: Polygamy was actually a thing. It was fairly common for powerful individuals to have multiple wives.
>>
>>44514552
QM Question: I will go where I please when I please and use whatever site I feel is the appropriate venue for the quest I am running or desire to run.

Player Question: fucking never. The weeb is strong with this one among other fandom leanings. Just like I will never tire of /co/ quests. I will give all quests that intrigue me a try.
>>
QM Question: Do you use maps and if so what do you think is the best program to use for them?

Paint, hexographer, paper, etc
>>
File: Mongol_dominions1.jpg (401 KB, 1280x938) Image search: [Google]
Mongol_dominions1.jpg
401 KB, 1280x938
>>44516390

I pull maps from real life and doodle on them, since my quest takes place in actual locations.

Most mapmaking programs are fairly crap anyway unless you just want to throw together some fantasy continents... and sometimes not even then.

I would advocate for using a "normal" graphics program like GIMP, PS, or even Paint and blowing the money you would spend on a map-making program on buying a cheap tablet.

Then, instead of paying out the ass for a "fractal coastlines" feature, just pretend you have Parkinsons.
>>
two unrelated questions with similar themes:

Would you rather play the big burly guy, or his best friend, the little con artist girl?

Would you rather play the street performer, or the grumpy old conman who picks pockets while the performer works?
>>
>>44516746
>his best friend, the little con artist girl
>the street performer
Definitely these two
>>
>>44516390
Draw on paper. Put your inferior drawing skills on display for everyone and maybe someone will take pity and make it actually look good for you.
>>
>>44516390
I use photoshop.

It isn't difficult to reproduce simple maps relatively quickly and on demand as long as you have brushes devoted to terrain features.
>>
>>44516746
Little girl
>>
>>44516390
Same as >>44516470

It makes things much easier.
>>
>>44516746
Burly guy and conman for me.
>>
>>44516746
It all depends on whether you want to run a daughter raising sim quest or you want to control the little girl directly and choose what kind of person she grows into instead of just influencing it.
>>
>>44516902
Burly guy and street performer.

I actually love running bard type characters.
>>
>>44517641
Please refrain from using trip when it doesn't have anything to do with what you use it for. You're just being an attention fag at this point.
>>
>>44517667
Shit my bad, that was totally unintentional. I just forgot to take it off.
>>
Playing as an unambiguously villainous "Dark Power", like a Balrog or something similar: can it be made to work without undue edge?
>>
>>44517787
That kind of evil is often under the control of something stronger, something more concrete.

Like the Balrogs were servants to Morgoth.
>>
>>44517787
It only works as comedy I think, or maybe if you're plating with actual sociopaths, which I can't see as being a good thing anyway. Unambiguous "dark powers" don't have much going for them in the way of motivation.
>>
>>44517805
Until Morgoth was literally exiled from existence.

Who's gonna command Durin's Bane after that happens, Sauron? The guy can barely keep Shelob in line, the fuck is he gonna do with a Balrog?
>>
>>44517850
>tfw all Morgoth's competent underlings bit the dust with him, and we're stuck with the simpering prettyboy who tries to corrupt people with fashion accessories.
>>
>>44517787
Yes, depending on your definition of evil. You can be a force of evil to everyone else simply because of your nature, without reveling in it. Be completely unimpressed by your actions and view them as the completely natural events that they are to you. A human will squish an ant without sparing it a single thought. That's what it's like to you; you're not really going out of your way to harm people, it just happens.
>>
>>44516021
God. I miss Three Kingdoms Quest so much.
>>
>>44514552
>Player
>getting
god no, I've been here too long for that. It's either I am or not, no in-betweens.
>>
>>44514552
>When will you move to another site?
Probably never, quests are a casual thing for me and /tg/ works as a platform just fine.

>How often do you rewrite your scenario mid-thread?
Every single step of the way? Every players choice should matter, otherwise it becomes more like an interactive story rather than a quest.
>>
>>44517893
I do too anon.
>>
>>44516390
Photoshop, with a writing pad if I feel like making something good.
>>
File: 9-lime.png (872 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
9-lime.png
872 KB, 800x800
>>
>>44514552

> Are you getting sick of /a/ quests?

Are there in fact any good /a/ quests? I mean something that feels like a seinen manga, instead of the little girl quests. There was one about Gears that migrated from /a/ to /tg/, but it had the problem of using canonical characters which is always a turn-off.

I'm pretty sure tale tried to run that quest about the office girl multiple times and it bombed every time. I really just want something with some verisimilitude/dignity to it.
>>
>>44518663
Do you mean a grown-up slice-of-life, or are you using verisimilitude like a fantasy or science-fiction writer would use it?
>>
>>44518695

The latter. Slice-of-life is one of the most amazingly boring genres I could imagine. Basically I want something that's high tension, or otherwise dramatic.
>>
>>44518710
Then I definitely agree with that feeling. Though I would not say slice-of-life is boring. But I don't think 100% slice-of-life fits the quest format.
>>
>>44518663
Most good anime and manga are easier to define by literary genre than by medium or demographic. When the anime images and language is stripped, you wouldn't recognize Berserk or on the opposite side, Sekine's Love as /a/. Hell, FMA is super anime when you watch it but without pictures it'd probably read like any mass print fantasy.

Basically, depending on your definition it might be said that it is impossible for any /a/ quest to be good. Personally though, I like Joker Quest.
>>
>>44518725
Or rather, to explain better: slice-of-life that is about cute girls doing cute things or something in that vein doesn't fit the quest format. A slice-of-life about a conscript in a war could still be full of tension and drama. There just wouldn't be a high end plot in which you save the world or something like that.
>>
>>44518663
Joker Quest is pretty fucking /a/

Well, /m/ anyway.
>>
>>44518726

I'll take a look, but are there any other quests like that? I'm surprised that no-one does the big anime epic/gundam thing in the style of LNs.
>>
>>44518779
Try Zeonquest. It's old now, but still well regarded.
>>
>>44518793

I'll check it out. My main problem with a lot of Quests is that things just reach a lull where there's too much downtime, and the tension just drains away. Same as when you get too much time to passively level up by training and so on.

I've been reading Joker Quest, but it goes too much in the other direction. It's actively depressing to read in some places, and there's this very unwholesome, needy take on sexuality and relationships that's a downer.
>>
>>44518830
>My main problem with a lot of Quests is that things just reach a lull where there's too much downtime, and the tension just drains away. Same as when you get too much time to passively level up by training and so on.
Elaborate pls
>>
>>44518843

I came here from the dark parts of Spacebattles. Basically, there's a point where players just want to turtle and research/train invent grossly overpowered stuff, that opens the door to more overpowered stuff, and forms an endless escalating power-up loop.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a Quest where there's a sense of threat, where it feels like the MC is in danger when it comes to a fight. A lot of Quests don't have that.
>>
>>44518862
Did you even read any of /tg/'s quests before you started speaking or...?
>>
>>44518872
Not that anon, but being rude doesn't give you any credits, mate.
>>
I just realized that mechs are the perfect quest genre.

Failure is meaningful with the potential for major losses without death ending the quest.

There's a sensible separation between SoL and action segments.

It's got the /a/ appeal but still has a lot of /tg/ merit.

Why isn't /m/ more popular?
>>
>>44518892
That was rude?
>>
>>44518872

I have, but there's a lot of stuff where it never feels like the PC is in any real danger. Totemist is one of the rare exceptions, where each fight is exciting.
>>
>>44518899
I legitimately don't get the /a/ appeal at all
>>
Would you a Wild-west America quest?
>>
>>44518862
> where it feels like the MC is in danger when it comes to a fight.

It's not /a/, but Crusader Quest has some pretty scary fights.
>>
>>44518905
Yes.
>>
>>44518922
If I had the time I would.
>>
>>44518922

Definently. I've been on a Western fiction binge recently, and Johnstone's novels scratched that itch. To my disappointment, only his Winchester 1886 novel was good, most of his other stuff is kind of mass-produced crap.
>>
>>44518922
Make it a bounty hunter quest in the Wild West era of America.
>>
>>44518907
/a/ loves mechs. Maybe more than /m/ does, since /m/ can't stop bitching about them.
>>
>>44518906
Have you tried Valen? I'm not sure there's been a single actual fight in that quest where we felt like we weren't about to die.

Granted, Riz doesn't seem to throw us into actual fights very often. It's about 40/60 or so on physical altercations to puzzling our way through politics and such.

It's also a quest better binge read through archived than actually played. I gave up trying to keep up with live threads when they kept going over 10 hours.
>>
>>44518906
>Totemist is one of the rare exceptions, where each fight is exciting.
Hm, explain, if you may?
>>
>>44518952
Fair enough. I usually stay on the bugmen threads on /m/, so I wouldn't know.

On that note, someone needs to start a Kamen Rider quest.
>>
>>44518930
I'll do it! With pictures! And hot blood! And sexy boys.

Lots and lots of sexy boys!
>>
>>44518752
>slice-of-life that is about cute girls doing cute things or something in that vein doesn't fit the quest format

The numbers tell a different story.
>>
>>44518981

If someone wants to start a Kamen Rider Quest, I have one piece of advice: Please, please, PLEASE use an original setting. If you use a canonical setting, we already know everything about it. This is why the Gaim Quest just limped on before the QM gave up.

If you start from scratch, there are plenty of mysteries and surprises and you can do a lot of crazy shit with the format. You don't have to be bound by how stuff usually goes. The big thing is for your players to speculate wildly about how stuff might end up. (While we're at it, I think Gaim and W are the best Rider shows out there, but Ryuuki is my personal favorite for the setup though it was clumsily executed.)

A problem with Gaim is that Kouta had so much power, everything was pointless. Micchy's plotting was actually pretty good, but Kouta just blundered through with sheer force every time. It wasn't a remotely fair competition: In fact, it could be argued that Baron worked harder for his powerups than Kouta did. It ain't a competition if one guy keeps getting cash from the sponsors.
>>
I don't get how a quest can make it feel like the MC is in danger. I mean, if every fight you feel like you're going to die, doesn't death become a paper tiger of a threat?
>>
>>44519011
I'm not saying it can't be done.

I'm saying it's shit when it is done.
>>
>>44518906
>>44518862
I get what you mean, but I seriously haven't seen that as an issue in any of the /tg/ quests. Rather than power spirals, the majority of downtime is spent interacting with other characters: an arguably different problem, but not the one you're talking about.
>>
>>44518985

The worst part is that I really, really like IBO. I think it's possibly one of the best AUs so far. I also really like Thunderbolt. I was sick to death of the goofy/pacifist shows the franchise had descended into.

While I liked Unicorn a lot, I didn't like how it has that strain of militant pacifism that AUs push forward. I mean, this was UC! They could at least be honest about "Yeah, all this? It's just a breather until the next war. Hope you had fun!"
>>
>>44519039
There are other things to fear than death.
>>
File: Paladin.jpg (371 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Paladin.jpg
371 KB, 1680x1050
I'm just sitting here, waiting for a Paladin Quest in a GrimNoble setting to be done right.
>>
>>44519039
That's only if the QM isn't willing to follow through.
>>
>>44519084
You know what I'm going to tell you.
>>
>>44519039

It's not just death, but failure. Joker is a good example, because Joker has failed a lot without actually being killed.
>>
File: Hmmm.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>44519111
I know.
>>
>>44519132
>>44519104
>>44519054

So other than just straight up losing a fight. Because there are plenty of fights where if you lose, you're dead and that ends the quest. What other failures could you include? Lost equipment, broken limbs, wounds, mental scars, what?
>>
>>44519180
>>44519192
All of this just makes me want to run a shounen quest.
>>
>>44519049
>The worst part is that I really, really like IBO
Why though? The characters are boring and retread their dialogue any opportunity they have. There's no tension at all, since they stepped back from killing Shota McFaggotron with the little sister.
The pacing is shoddy; there's been three entire episodes wasted on some garbage subplot introduced to... fuck, I dunno. Get Akihiro into a new mech, I guess, and make it even more obvious Mika is realizing he's fucked up? To show that the Gjallarhomos are plotting something? To show Fumitan is finally gonna betray Tekkadan, like she's been teased doing since the start of the goddamn show?
The action's not even amazing. I'd prefer they introduce beam weapons, because right now most fights are them dinking away at each other until the writers feel as if they've gotten their point across, at which it's ended instantly.

And yet this show gets its dick sucked. You're free to like whatever you like but I really don't understand.

>I think it's possibly one of the best AUs so far
AU quality isn't so much a high bar as a limbo contest.

>I also really like Thunderbolt.
So do I. Thunderbolt is amazing, though way too short so far. Suppose we're getting more in February thanks to that, though, so it's not all bad.
>>
>>44519236

Yeah, but you have to weigh it against AGE (utterly awful) and G-Reco (Incomprehensible, despite pretty good designs). This is one of the few Gundam shows I didn't feel embarrassed watching. I mean, I was actually looking forward to the next episode each week.
>>
>>44519180
>>44519192
>Lost equipment, broken limbs, wounds, mental scars, what?
>Plus dead NPCs, failed plot threads, or blows to relationships.
All that, and loss of trust in you if you act within an organization, things like that.

There are A LOT of ways to fail without dying.
>>
>>44519265
I liked G-Reco, but I can sympathize. It really was shitposted to near death.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. This and G-Reco are totally and tonally completely different. DESU I think that people who like IBO like very slow burning character drama and/or SoL, whereas G-Reco is like Tomino at his Tominoest.

Also, you forgot to mention GBF as a recent AU. GBF was good, Try was bland and did basically everything worse somehow. Seems like that's the consensus, anyway.
>>
>>44519334
>>44518985
>>44519049
/m/ is complete cancer. /a/ is caustic and kneejerky, but unlike /m/ they aren't pathologically afraid of simply enjoying something on principle, hipsterism notwithstanding.
>>
>>44519084
>GrimNoble
Yo aren't those fuckin' opposed classifications on that while schema? Might as well say you want darkbright
>>
>>44519492
GrimNoble is the term when the setting is grim, but there's hope and the MC's actions often do more good than just adding to the depression and darkness within the grim setting.
>>
>>44519507
>>44519492
>GrimNoble
Nobledark/Grimbright. All three are made-up words, but more people understand the latter two. Can't think of a nobledark quest off the cuff.
>>
>>44519266
In Novice Heretek Quest the protagonist ended armless so many times that the players even had to tell the QM to stop with that. It is true that there are ways of punishing without resulting in death but they don't have to be overused.
>>
>>44519553
This is what I'm thinking.

Like, there have to be more steps forward than setbacks.

Because if there's a setback EVERY fight then what the fuck is the point of playing.
>>
>>44519581
>>44519553

Actually, ending up armless isn't bad. It's because in a fight, losing a leg is crippling - Losing an arm means you can continue fighting for a bit.

If you can't dodge or evade or even run away, you're a dead man. Some systems like Wild Talents are actually biased so attacks hit arms more often than they hit legs.
>>
>>44519581
>>44519553
Bonus QM objective:

Arrange a system where occasionally players will WANT to take a dive in order to get better rewards through failing.

Either through actual betting manipulation or through more circuitous means like making someone look cool.
>>
>>44519641

That sounds pointless. Failure is failure: Sometimes you miss the jump. If even failure is a form of success, you're never really losing.
>>
>>44519641
>get better rewards
Does "not suffering even worse setbacks" counts as better rewards?
>>
>>44519641
Well if you're using any sort of xp system it could make sense to offer more xp for failure than for success,
>>
>>44519672
sometimes yes!
Everything's relative.
>>
>>44519641
Players must fail to learn from their mistakes and grow stronger from it?
>>
>>44519672
Rewards and Punishment are pretty binary. There are countless degrees of possibilities among them but mixing a Reward with a Punishment its impossible.

If someone is punished but manages to get something good out of it then it just makes the Punishment slightly smaller, but it is a punishment nonetheless.
>>
>>44519684
Well that's because as nice as stuff you buy with xp is given enough time you'll get around to it eventually, story events are permanent.

I guess maybe you could set things up so failures unlock>>44519681
s unique upgrade options?
>>
>>44519687
I dunno, you're missing the huge grey area in the middle where interpretation and spin control can come into play to make someone feel better or worse about an outcome.

Not to mention all the scads of extenuating circumstances one can construct in one of these quests.
>>
>>44519736
Alright wow that post link in the middle of a word was a complete accident but I don't particularly want to delete and repost because I'm on my phone
>>
>>44519736
Facing a certain enemy and failing, but surviving, let's you get an unique upgrade tailored towards defeating said enemy next time you face off?
>>
>>44519758
That's one way you could do it, though I'd probably be more likely to base them on thematics of the nature of the failure.
>>
>>44519084
>GrimNoble
Elaborate?
>>
>>44519687
>Rewards and Punishment are pretty binary.
Unless you're really into BDSM
>>
>>44519841
He already did: >>44519507
>>
>>44519841

It's a grim world, but you guys are making it better. Also, enemies have some sense of honor, there's ritual courtliness in a lot of things, the code of chivalry still works.

I don't necessarily mean the knightly code, but as in - When you challenge the enemy leader to a duel, he might accept. More, he'll actually keep his word afterwards! And the protagonists are actually making the world a better place.

Heroic speeches work, the villagers are grateful for your help instead of secretly fearing and resenting you, and so on.
>>
>>44519846
Masochism and BDSM only makes the system switch places. Rewards become punishments and the inverse. It isn't so complicated.
>>
>>44519862
You may want to try %%Paladin of Avalon%%.
>>
>>44519862
That's way too positive to count for a grim world, buddy.
>>
>>44519905

Not after the clusterfuck of charactergen. Also, female protagonist is an automatic turn-off for me.
>>
>>44519914
What the hell are you talking about. It had neither chargen, nor female MC.
>>
>>44519914
>female protagonist is an automatic turn-off for me
May I ask why? A lot can go wrong with a quest, but having a female MC shouldn't be one of them.
>>
>>44519914
I feel ya bro.

It's not a problem with female characters per se, but more the knowledge that everyone involved is already going full magical realm in their minds and trying to make the perfect waifu.
>>
>>44519913

Well, how about this? You know how in most modern fantasy novels, the Church is hilariously corrupt? Here, the Church mostly consists of (for instance) grizzled demon-hunters fighting a war for mankind's salvation. Sure, they're grumpy about it and there are those who go bad, but the organization itself is ultimately a net good.

In a grimdark setting, the Church would be cruel, oppressive and arguably even worse than the actual demons. Choosing between them is asking whether you'd rather have AIDS or the Black Death. They'd be superstitious not as in "Burn the evil books!" but as in "Destroy all cultural artifacts that don't fit Our Vision."
>>
>>44519940

Shit, my bad. I confused it with Paladin of Joy, which featured a female MC, horrible charagen and a lot of magical realm. Honest mistake.

I'll check out Paladin of Avalon, though.
>>
>>44519981
Nah, don't. The fact it gets shilled so often pretty much means the odds on it actually being decent are so far out you'd better not bother.
>>
OP is a butthurt anti-questfag. Read the OP pastebin.
>>
>>44520164

We know, he's probably fucking pissed.
>>
>>44519641
>>44519672

Ryukuza Quest has a setup like that.

You pay for upgrades through suffering and bad luck and injures in varied amounts, unless you've had enough successes to pay for them without sufferign that bad luck. It's based on Amber Diceless "good stuff/Zero Stuff/Bad Stuff" system.
>>
>>44520164
At this stage we've had so many troll weekend quest thread OPs that they've lost what little impact they had. Now people just treat them as regular ones and OP has become part of the quest problem.
>>
>>44519553
It just hit me Joker can probably make Bloodborne boss out of all the limbs he's lost. Admittedly, that wasn't really a case of the QM dealing out punishment but just the combat system having its giggles.
>>
>>44519507
That's nobledark you dumbfuck.
>>
File: 1394239504939.gif (3 MB, 445x247) Image search: [Google]
1394239504939.gif
3 MB, 445x247
>>44520435
>Getting this mad over how a setting is called
How's winter break, kid?
>>
>>44519981
>PoJ

Its been over a year EGO just admit the useless fucker who runs that is you
>>
File: 1451428194293.jpg (67 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1451428194293.jpg
67 KB, 500x354
>>44520657
Bait + edge = The post
>>
So, how bad is quest waifuism, really? And what exactly makes it terrible?
>>
>>44520972
It's inevitable, and can make or break a quest.
>>
>>44520972
It can be obnoxious when it comes to npc interaction time because they only care about the waifu or if there appears to be multiple love interests for the mc.
>>
>>44520972
Waifuism takes over the social parts of a quest, to frankly obscene degrees.
Everything has to involve the waifu. They want continual special events with the waifu, even after the relationship lost most of its interesting narrative potential. You will be expected to write smut, and if you do the clamouring for smut will never end.

And yet it's inevitable people will get waifus. Husbandos face the exact same problem.
>>
>>44519964
>the Church is hilariously corrupt

The Church has historically been, hillariously corrupt.
>>
>>44518862
HQQ oddly kiiiinda has that- we've concepted up a SHITTON of planet-destroying weaponry.

Haven't really found a good solid opportunity to build and use it proper, though.
>>
>>44518793
There have been a lot of /m/ quests and such other quests that ape Zeonquest badly, and fall into the pitfalls, where players go full-on Spacebattles and the QM goes to fellate their desires.

Seriously. There's *some* good points but a lot of the flaws of Zeonquest are easily overlooked (and are repeated or magnified in copycats)
>>
>>44518906
>where it never feels like the PC is in any real danger

All of MercCommand's quests have that feeling where you're never in any real chance of failing or in danger.
>>
>>44521496
There's been a couple where he seemed to flirt with the idea of strong punishment, but yeah, MercCommand generally is easy-going on that front. Frankly, I don't mind. There's certain QMs I look at in particular if I want a dangerous quest; MercCommand ain't one of them.
>>
>>44514552

>QM question

I won't. I love this site for all of its vices and mishaps. But time will tell.

Well, My quest is up if anyone is interested.
>>>44521555
>>
>>44519525
>Can't think of a nobledark quest off the cuff.
A tale of witches.
>>
>>44521924
Backing this.
>>
File: Setting Alignment.png (34 KB, 716x746) Image search: [Google]
Setting Alignment.png
34 KB, 716x746
1/3

The tone alignment predicates on two things.

First is the noblegrim axis, that determines the people of the setting. They can generally be good, in which case it is a noble setting, be of a more balanced nature, in which case it is a neutral setting, or they can generally be bad, in which case it is a grim setting. This will generally affect the extent to which people are willing to compromise their morality in response to pressure.

The other axis is the darkbright axis, which determines the extent to which the place they live in sucks. A bright world is generally a very nice place, a neutral world is more balanced, and a dark world is one that is savage and hostile. This determines the pressure the people are placed under.

Noblebright first.

Noblebright is the most pleasant of the alignments to live in. Not only is everything nice, but everyone is nice. Even when by rare happenstance something does happen to place the people under pressure they will not compromise their morals to solve it. Luckily for them the niceness of the world generally leads itself to another solution being found. Young children's shows are generally noblebright.

Neutralbright worlds are reasonably nice places to live. The world is very nice, but the people there are less so. There are people capable of doing very unpleasant things, but they will not do them until pressed to by an unusual event. Neutralbright worlds are usually nice, and stay nice outside of problems, but near problems things get a good bit worse in response and reaction. Neutralbright is a rare setting, hard to find outside of political morality tales.
>>
>>44522025
Grimbright is when the world is nice, but the people in it are complete cunts. They're fine to get along with while everyone is perfect, but the moment things start going wrong, they kill the shit out of each other. Or, they act like complete bastards to outsiders. The grimbright story is one where you have to be the bad guy to enjoy things, or hope they never notice you. It is the standard alignment of fae, faerie, whichever you want.

Noble Neutral takes place in a world where everyone is generally good, but the world could use some fixing. It is a common setting for light heroic fantasy, because there are many heroes, and the bad guys are simple, but the world itself still offers some challenge. It is a pretty nice place to live, right up there with neutralbright.

Neutralboring is boring because we are here right now. Reality, unless you have some skewed or stupid view of it, is the standard. This alignment exists mostly to tell you how to choose a more appropriate one, because if we wanted to adventure in neutralboring we could just go outside. Common for people who are too lazy to build better worlds.

Neutralgrim is a nasty place. The world isn't very nice, but the people in it make it oh so much worse. It is a common setting for tragedy, because of the extent of the futility of any positive action. This is also the way misanthropists see the world.

Nobledark is a very popular setting. The world is a truly horrible place, but through faith and fire it may be cleansed. The people of this world are generally good ,and will strive to fight against the darkness. They cannot beat it, but so long as they fight they hold it at bay, and earn another day of peace for the world. It is the most common setting for heroic fantasy.
>>
>>44521924
>>44521998
its sjw as fuck tho if what I heard is right.
>>
>>44522034
Neutraldark is a pretty bad place to live. The world sucks, and the people don't seem to care all too much. This is not so much a dramatic setting as it is a nihilistic setting; the world sucks and nobody seems to care. It is the place for insignificant heroes who futilely rail against the publicly-popular villains, and defeat them, only for another to rise just as soon after. It is a depressing setting, all up, and common for mundane (that is, not heroic) fantasy.

Grimdark, we already know, is the worst place to live. The world is utterly shit, and nearly everyone's a sociopathic jerk. There are no heroes, and those that try not only achieve nothing, but often make things worse, and are loathed by many. It is the most common setting for egregiously masturbatory villainwank fiction. However, it is also rarely used for exceptionally good heroic fantasy, by people who understand that light shines brightest in darkness.

Originally written by Baron von Evilsatan of /tg/.
>>
>>44522041
No, it's a worldbuild outside the norm is all. It's definitely NOT SJW material. The main character supports slavery, for example, because it's appropriate for her culture. One of her friends is owned by her ruler, literally. Dieties actually replace pieces of peoples souls, and witches aren't considered human, only people.
>>
>>44522084
There's two kinds of slavery. Roman-era slavery with some manner of laws and limitations, and Colonial-era slavery that's brutally shitty, from the Age of Exploration to Heart of Darkness.

I'm not sure what Assyrian/Mesopotamian-era slavery was supposed to be like.
>>
>>44522025
>>44522034
>>44522052
I'm strugging to shove the world I'm thinking about into one of these aligments. Mostly because the it is both bright and grim, and even neutral, depending on who you ask, and the boundaries between light and dark are very much uncertain.
>>
Has there ever been a Winnie the Pooh Quest? Would you play one?
>>
>>44522358
Why?
>>
>>44522084
> One of her friends is owned by her ruler
Dam proud of it too
>>44522137
>I'm not sure what Assyrian/Mesopotamian-era slavery was supposed to be like.
Roman like.
>>
>>44522371
For fun!
>>
>>44522400
They would surely try to waifu piglet
>>
>>44522391
I'd think it would be more like chattel slavery, people were way more hardcore in those days.

I want a straight bronze/iron era quest.
>>
>>44522488
no dude, hamurabi had it figured out
>>
>>44522530
Hamurabi's code wasn't as influential or as standard for his time as much as people credit him.
>>
>>44522488
>>44522530
>>44522606

So can anyone clear up what kind of slavery is to what time period?
>>
>>44522715
Depends on the culture.
>>
>>44522409
>not Tigger
I no longer want to run this. Fuck players.
>>
>>44518755
Yes, QM, we know your quest exists.
>>
>>44522772
>not wanting to bang Owl

>>>/out/
>>
Just wanted to notify that a new quest begins tomorrow.
I said so on twitter, but I am making sure the message is spread here too.
>>
>>44523487
Tell what it is about, get people's attention!
>>
>>44523542
I usually never reveal much about the plot.
I know this is a mistake but I like to surprise the readers.
>>
>>44523610
Then tell about the premise. Because new quests are rather frequent.
>>
>>44523487
Here or on Akun?
>>
>>44523914
Here!
>>44523759
What do you mean premises?
>>
>>44524223
>What do you mean premises?
What you are going to post about in your opening or the infodump in the first thread. Who is the character, what are they doing, what are their goals, in what kind of world, what was their life up until now, etc.
>>
>>44524223
>Here!
Huh. Why, if I may ask? Did you grow disappointed in the site or is there some other reason?

Also, can you say will the MC be a female lesbian?
>>
>>44524331
He just said she doesn't want to reveal any of that yet though.
>>
>>44524355
AT LEAST THE FUCKING GENRE, CHRIST
>>
>>44524373
Or like the name of the quest so we know what to even look for when it goes up.
>>
>>44518981
>someone needs to start a Kamen Rider quest.
People have. They all failed.
>>
>>44524331
>>44524373

The premise is boring, borderline on ordinary.
You're an European guy in 2018. The events mirror those of our world until 2012, when men have started to become able to summon "companions", that is to project outside what their ideal woman would be and bring it into existence.
You're one of the guys who indeed has a companion (so you're not a lesbian girl as one anon was asking). Something will occur in the first session and those who wrote this premise off as simply "another /a/-tier waifu simulator" will discover that the rabbit hole goes down much, much deeper.

>>44524334
Never tried Akun, I would also prefer to move a bit faster. Maybe next quest I will try it.
>>
>>44524485
>Never tried Akun
Oh, then I guessed I confused you with another Storyteller, the author of Evoker - the longest Akun quest - and some others. My bad.
>>
>>44524547
It's all good. If anything it's my fault for choosing such a generic nickname
>>
>>44524667

We are now running Princes and Tsars Quest.
>>
>>44519905
>monstergirls
Lol nah. It's impossible to have a satisfyingly serious setting with shit like catgirls slutting about begging for cock
>>
What roll system works best for a quest? 1d20? 1d100? Let's say crits are a factor, fail and win.
>>
>>44524858
>slutting about begging for cock
No-one there does that. Monster-races are just fantasy races, like elves, orcs, or dwarves.
>>
>>44522084
Don't forget that gays and lesbos are pretty frowned down upon and mostly only tolerated at all because the Goddess of Law just really fucking loves it when people swear oath and contracts to one another.
>>
File: Necron Knight.png (2 MB, 1639x1853) Image search: [Google]
Necron Knight.png
2 MB, 1639x1853
Reminder that I'll be running Novice Heretek Quest tomorrow at 6PM (GMT) // 1PM (EST)

I hope to see you all in here! Have a small gift for the waiting, I have finished the drawing of the Necron Knight that stalks us! You guys like it?
>>
>>44524985
>Monster-races are just sexualized all-female fantasy races, like elves, orcs, or dwarves.
FTFY

And those are impossible to take seriously
>>
>>44514552
Are there any lewd quests with a human female protag?
>>
>>44525143
See half the quests on anonkun
>>
>>44525155
I mean here.
>>
>>44525116
We seem to live in different worls, cause in mine orcs, elves, and dwarves are mostly not depicted as sexualized all-female races.
>>
>>44525181
>/tg/
>lewd quests
Impossiburu.
>>
>>44525155
>Human.
>>
>>44525210
Fuck quest.
>>
>>44520103
>People like thing
>That means it's probably garbage
>Don't bother figuring out if it's actually good or not, just dismiss it out of hand.
What?
>>
>>44525250
Also the one that migrated from /a/ (along with a big crowd of /a/utists).
>>
>>44524858
Who wants a serious setting anyway?
>>
>>44525279
It spent more time here than on /a/.
>>
>>44525275
>Implying its not right
>>
>>44524858
Shouldn't it be the other way around?
>>
>>44525192
Because they aren't monstergirls. When they are given the monstergirl treatment, that's what they're reduced to
>>
>>44525250
Didn't run on present day /tg/ though. Smut quests aren't allowed.
>>
>>44525363
What rule says that?
>>
>>44525275
>People
One person.
>>
>>44525275
>people
>as in multiple
Lolnope. Just one lonely shill. He's not even the DM, he's just a translator who acts like it's his own creation and demands to be treated with the respect of a QM (which is a kekworthy concept in and of itself even ignoring all this "my monstergirl fetish quest us for serious gaiz!" nonsense)
>>
>>44525388
>One person
>Implying
>>
>>44525351
What what if monster-races aren't given monstergirl treatment, and are instead made into full-fledged races like conventional orcs, elves, and dwarves, including two genders, cultures, unique properties, etc?
>>
>>44525378
None, but those who attempted it got banned.
>>
>>44525420
That's garbage, fuck that. I'd rather have nothing.
>>
>>44525420
Then it would be a different quest than Paladin of Avalon and thus be a moot point.
>>
>>44525417
Look at me, being convinced by all these amazing arguments you're presenting!
>>
>>44525417
It's totally only one person, the same as literally any other quest that's ever shilled here.
>>
>>44525441
>Then it would be a different quest than Paladin of Avalon
But that's exactly what Paladin of Avalon is.
>>
>>44525429
Pretty sure this is just a meme.

Unless it's some fucked up shit.
>>
>>44525477
>literally first update of the quest is "lol qt catgril wat do"
Yeah nah you ain't fooling me
>>
>>44525477
No it's not.
>>
>>44525363
>>44525279
>>44525250
The MC was also arguably non-human.
>>
>>44525462
Your argument was unsubstantiated to begin with, I don't need to present any arguments, I can just dismiss it outright.
>>
>>44525484
It's not. We know plenty of occurrences of quests getting banned for "being ERP". And until we see one not get banned, we can assume the rule applies.
>>
File: qubee.jpg (65 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
qubee.jpg
65 KB, 1280x720
>>44525001
> just really fucking loves it when people swear oath and contracts to one another.
>>
>>44525605
Think more Judge Dredd and less madorka fagicka. More LAW us better than less LAW.
>>
>>44525495
Literally the first update is where the MC tries to attack a drider and dies due to having no armor, a shitty weapon, and traps all around, then the quest gets restarted. The catgirl doesn't appear until the middle of the first chapter, and there is almost no interaction with her until the middle of the second, no lewd scenes period. Who are you trying to fool here?
>>44525500
Yes it is.
>>
Can someone point me to a particulary striking example of Fall Guy's combat system in DAQ or EEQ? I can't seem to wrap my head around it, and since my next quest is going to have somewhat involved combat, I want to take a look at it in detail.

I'm awful with crunch.
>>
>>44525548
The rule will keep applying until we gas the jannies and make /tg/ great again.
>>
>>44525526
Have you ever, ever seen a single reaction to the guy announcing his updates other than "why are you still posting this?"

Face it, PoA's the Kyon-kun of Akun.
>>
>>44525738
>Face it, PoA's the Kyon-kun of Akun.
Woah, woah, let's not throw that kind of big words around.
>>
>>44525752
I'd say it fits
>autistic insistence hid work is amazing and insightful despite being painfully obvious fetish wank
>spends years writing something that isn't even his own work
Hell, at least kyon-kun has to bother coming up with some new autistic way to shoehorn Madoka into everything, PoAfag is doing the equivalent of just transcribing the show to Akun.

He's worse than Kyon-kun, actually, he's more like one of those spacebattles fags who transcribe "sanitized" versions of 4chan quests onto their site and demand recognition and praise for it.
>>
How do I use Combat Chain for vehicular combat? I'm looking for ideas or examples to make it work.
>>
>>44525929
Stop being me.
>>
>>44525939
You refuse.
>>
>>44526029
I... We... AUGH
>>
>>44525548
>And until we see one not get banned, we can assume the rule applies.
MGNQ
>>
>>44525862
I honestly don't understand what your problem is. Every time PoA is mentioned here, or something is said to exist there, you (or those like you, provided they exist and it's not simple samefaggotry) call it a monstergirl fetishist quest and say that this something does not exist in it. When you're told otherwise, you reply "no it is/it isn't", while providing literally zero arguments or evidence. When you do provide "evidence", it turns out to be bullshit, and the post calling it bullshit remain unresponded, like this >>44525678 one. It's not the first time I see this.

So what's up?
>>
>>44518906

Go read ACquest sadly it ended on a cliff hanger after the QM's horrible luck finally fucked him over for good, but it plays it pretty hard and fast and honest to goodness I never felt safe rolling that d100.
>>
>>44526195
>bawww muh feelings
That's nice, dear. Go back to your shitty Slavic smut quest that no one cares about.
>>
>>44526232
>rolling
Eww.
>>
>>44525678
>sexy spidergirl wat do
>lol u fags you can't kill my sexy DMPC, u almost die until another sexy DMPC catgirl saves you!
Not that anon, but that sounds infinitely worse than a slutty catgirl. You are one shitty QM
>>
Starting DASQ in about hour to hour and a half
>>
>>44526311
What. "You have no armor and only a knife on your, there are snares all around and a giant spider before you, it's twice your size." Do you want to say he should have been able to kill the spider?
>sexy DMPC catgirl saves you!
Again, why are you spewing nonsense? This never happened, and you never attempted to read the quest. You are just assuming things again, for whatever reason.
>>
>>44526441
>DASQ
?
>>
>>44526449
>Do you want to say he should have been able to kill the spider?
Why even introduce an unwinnable encounter unless you want to be a railroading faggot that forces his players to suck DMPC cock in order to advance?
>you never attempted to read the quest.
You're right, I didn't. Your posts alone are enough to keep me away from your quest since they make it sound godawful.
>>
>>44526499
>>44526441
WHoops

Death Among the Stars
>>
>>44526574
Can you explain who the PC is and a brief summary?
>>
>>44526595
Space Lich.

It makes things die.
>>
>>44526558
>Why even introduce an unwinnable encounter
Firstly, players voted meet an arachne. It's a bit complicated. Secondly, you don't have to fight it, it's not aggressive. You can ask for directions, you can ask for help, you can just walk away. The latter is what was done after the quest was rebooted.
>You're right, I didn't.
Okay, but why do you keep assuming things?
>Your posts alone are enough to keep me away from your quest
It's not my quest, it's a quest I'm a fan of. In any case, all the power to you.
>>
>>44526646
So undead murderhobo in space?
>>
>>44526558
I'm not familiar with the quest, but win and lose aren't the only results of an encounter. It stands to reason that there're stronger entities than the PC in a quest, especially on the offset, and combat isn't the only option in dealing with an encounter.
>>
>>44526682
>it's a quest I'm a fan of.
With fans like you, the quest doesn't need anyone to hate it
>>
>>44526232
1d100 always has that sense of danger.
>>
>>44526838
I would take your words into serious consideration if there was any coherence to your reasoning.
>>
>>44526702
more like undead overlord of a space empire.
loosely based off of Destiny's Hive
>>
>>44527035
So aside from the hobo part I was right?
>>
>>44527090
for the most part yeah. it's all on suptg
>>
File: Can of worms.jpg (73 KB, 405x692) Image search: [Google]
Can of worms.jpg
73 KB, 405x692
>>44525862
>>autistic insistence hid work is amazing and insightful despite being painfully obvious fetish wank
>>spends years writing something that isn't even his own work
>Planefag
>>
>>44526232
ACQuest?
>>
>>44527684
>>Planefag
Throw in some "lol i troll u, for i be the rusemasta" and some military acronyms.
>>
I have a question for any QMs how do you prepare for a quest session? What sort of things you have ready before you begin a thread?
>>
>>44528176
snacks and caffiene
>>
>>44528176
cocaine and tv dinners.
I do crunch and write the opener before starting. usually do brainstorming during the week while doing mindless retail bullshit
>>
>>44528176
Alcohol and self-loathing
>>
>>44528176
Keep track of when things happened, where, and how, and keep a list of names to pull from for new characters that you need to make on the fly, as well as a list of all the characters you have already introduced, because you will need help to remember them. Keep all of these notes on hand, either in a word document or on paper next to you.

Don't over-plan your session, but meticulously record what has already happened. You know in your head who and what is and isn't important, but the players don't, so when they latch on to a character or some line of reasoning, roll with it. Having a good record of where things are lets you move them around and avoid painting yourself into a corner. The things you have written down in these notes should be as close to written in stone that you can get without hauling in an obelisk into your room. To me at least, this frees me up to be able to make up things on the fly without worrying about contradicting something I may have forgotten, as well as letting me re-purpose one-off characters and avoid making too many random people.

Also >>44528319

Or >>44528366

Both work, just don't mix them.
>>
When is the next AT-TE thread?
>>
whoops, posted the thread without the subject
>>
>>44527688

Armored Core Quest.

Run by ACguy.
>>
>>44528467

Forgot to attach my link.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=AC%20Guy
>>
File: deathamongthestarsquest.gif (41 KB, 190x223) Image search: [Google]
deathamongthestarsquest.gif
41 KB, 190x223
>>44528454
Here we go
>>44528483
>>
>>44525684
I dunno man, the entire first mission of DAQ had plenty of examples already.
>>
>>44529379
Alright. So, I guess the system was already quite mature.
>>
>>44529420
Not really, it's just that by the time Fall Guy introduced the system, he was already relatively familiar with implementing it.

Although it makes complete sense, since he'd been pitching the premise months before the actual start.
>>
>>44520972

As a QM, I love quest waifuism. It means that players are getting invested in a character. That's when I can really put their nipples through the wringer.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.