[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking a poll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1447622398744.png (1 MB, 1800x2400) Image search: [Google]
1447622398744.png
1 MB, 1800x2400
How does /tg/ feel about dice pools?
>>
>>44510729
I personally like dice pools since you can do more interesting things with pools than single dice. Once you reach ~10 dice in a pool, though, it starts to become a pain to roll and interpret your roll. So basically, as long as it does something that isn't Shadowrun, it's good.
>>
>>44510729
Depends, I like dice pools where you take the numerical results and add them up, I don't like dice pools where a result above a certain number is a "success" and you aim for a certain number of successes
>>
>>44510729

Not a fan. Probabilities are less intuitive to calculate, and more dice being rolled at any given time tends to result in more mishaps (dice in drinks, dice going off the table, dice knocking over miniatures, and so on). Latter can be solved by dice cups obviously, but I'd rather just keep to a smaller number of dice needed for basic shit.
>>
I've yet do see them used well in an RPG. As >>44510965 points out, the current implementations are suspect AND you're paying in game time for a subpar resolution system.

But I do think that dice pools could be a goer if designers used more granularity in their bonuses. So rather than the usual "+X dice" or "+Y successes", there could be "place X dice as successes" or "add Y to the number shown on X dice" or what have you. Obviously this only works if your basic dice pools are small - but keeping the number of dice rolled low is a good idea anyway.
>>
File: 1432633763559.png (855 KB, 1200x769) Image search: [Google]
1432633763559.png
855 KB, 1200x769
I appreciate the honesty guys, a few friends of mine and I have been working on a module for a little while now and based on what I'm hearing it might be prudent to take our system in a different direction.
>>
>>44510729
Kind of meh and would depend what you're using it for.
I wouldn't want to use them for everything but the occasional thing is fine.
>>
It's a bitch and a half to work with properly

Difficulty of four skill check, and I have seven dice. Is this supposed to be unlikely to succeed? How hard is a difficulty of four? What the fuck is considered a 'good' roll of a dice pool of seven?

Playing something like BRP, a check with a difficulty of 35 has a 35% chance of fucking succeeding. Boom, done, I know what I'm working with here

Dice pools just aren't worth the convoluted mess
>>
As long as they don't get to the FUCKING ABSURD levels that Exalted gets to, I'm fine with dice pools.
>>
Very uncomfortable.
>>
>>44510729
I have nothing against it in general, some games use pools better than others. Depends on how it's assembled, and how you take its results. Plus how it's used in the system in general, but that goes for any dice mechanic.

For instance, there's the pictograph spread of FFG's Star Wars system, the total/effect Cortex+ system, and the more common success-counting system. They all play out really differently and are applied really differently.
>>
File: Tome of Battle.webm (2 MB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
Tome of Battle.webm
2 MB, 1280x528
I like how Legends of the Wulin and Wild Talents handle dice pools
Limit the number of dice in the pool and give players some way to influence the results
>>
The issue I have with dice pool systems is that individual advances in skill or attribute have no appreciable effect in themselves. If you average one success every four dice, then you need to advance that pool four times to average one more success.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.