[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> requires overpriced special dice > or reading d6s in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 23
File: Fate-Core-Cover.jpg (87 KB, 447x677) Image search: [Google]
Fate-Core-Cover.jpg
87 KB, 447x677
> requires overpriced special dice
> or reading d6s in an autistic fashion
> has bell curve despite not having any other realistic elements
> uses overly-abstract "FATE point" economy
> aspects are incredibly easy to powergame
> skill pyramid is confusing bullshit
> the adjectives on the ladder are literally iterations of the same word
> "Good" "Great" "Excellent" etc etc
> Rules bloat means it's not even rules light anymore
> book is terribly organized

Why is FATE such shit? The aspects were a cool idea but honestly the rest of the game is such shit that the only other redeeming factor is the cool bad-ass four-armed gorilla dude in the core book. Other than that, it's all shite.

Is there a single reason to play this game or should I throw it in the trash like I'm already planning to?
>>
File: 1437946495863.jpg (159 KB, 847x960) Image search: [Google]
1437946495863.jpg
159 KB, 847x960
>>44507877
Sell it to a fatefag.
>>
File: 14505540857.png (3 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
14505540857.png
3 KB, 224x225
>>44507877
>>
>>44507877
We get it you don't like FATE maybe you should find a game you do like instead of talking shit on the internet
>>
>>44507877

Hey virt, how's college?
>>
>>44507877

>Is there a single reason to play this game or should I throw it in the trash like I'm already planning to?

That makes it sound like you've ordered a copy and are waiting for it to come in the mail so you can throw it in the trash.

I mean, I guess if that's how you want to spend your money then that's your deal?
>>
I like it, but can anyone give me an explanation for the pile of bullshit that is the skill pyramid?
>>
>>44508280
Mostly a way to make characters' skill distribution more interesting than "All 5s in all my core skills".
>>
>>44508280

You get a strong skill to have a more dedicated role as a character.

To be fair, FATE definitely isn't for everyone and it doesn't handle every setting well. Some it doesn't handle well at all, like horror, because you are supposed to be kind of a badass.
>>
File: Dnd_v3_5_rulesbooks.png (73 KB, 459x338) Image search: [Google]
Dnd_v3_5_rulesbooks.png
73 KB, 459x338
>>44507877
> requires overpriced special dice
> or reading d6s in an autistic fashion
> has no bell curve despite having other realistic elements
> uses overly-abstract "spell slot" economy
> classes are incredibly easy to powergame
> spell list is confusing bullshit
> the class features tables are literally iterations of the same word
> "Dodge" "Uncanny Dodge" "Evasion" etc etc
> Rules bloat means it's not even a game anymore
> book is terribly organized

Why is D&D such shit? The unified progressions were a cool idea but honestly the rest of the game is such shit that the only other redeeming factor is the cool bad-ass black fighter dude in the core book. Other than that, it's all shite.

Is there a single reason to play this game or should I throw it in the trash like I'm already planning to?
>>
>>44509461

Yeah, you'd have to hack the shit out of it to have it work for horror.

I mean, I guess the whole "negative aspects you can invoke for Fate points" thing might play into it. Let's assume the system is for one shots in this case. Maybe have, like, a pool of Survivor Points that you can imperil your character to put points into. At the start of the game, the GM rolls who is going to be a Survivor and who is not. Then the game isn't "make my character survive and be awesome", it's "set my character up for an awesome death so the Survivors can beat the boss".

Think of the experience of watching a horror film; a lot of it is about looking for the awesome kills that the petty bitch characters get. And in a game not everyone can be a Final Girl, so you need to encourage playing Doomed Teenagers with your mechanics.
>>
>>44509562
Or you can say evoking an aspect is karmic, where it will come back around worse another time.
>>
>>44507877
>waaah a free system with cheap dice that are a useful GM tool
>>
>>44509644

The problem there is memory - aspects get invoked fairly often, so keeping track of EVERY invocation is going to be a lot on a GM.

You could have it so that each Aspect HAS to be used negatively after being used positively before you can use it positively again. Like, Jerry invokes "King of the Brodudes" to brute-force a door open and can't do that again until he takes it on the chin by putting himself in peril by getting drunk in the log cabin.
>>
>>44509698
>You could have it so that each Aspect HAS to be used negatively after being used positively before you can use it positively again. Like, Jerry invokes "King of the Brodudes" to brute-force a door open and can't do that again until he takes it on the chin by putting himself in peril by getting drunk in the log cabin.

Maybe mark each aspect use then roll a d6; if you roll higher than the total number of aspects invoked by the player, something bad happens.

Helps with building dread without letting the players calculate when exactly it'll strike.
>>
>>44509698
I like that a lot for the karma idea. It builds tension too, you have to gauge when the best time to encode negative and not make things much worse.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 333x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 333x441
> requires no overpriced special dice, only regulate normal d6s.
> has bell curve to promote realistic elements
> drawbacks are incredibly easy to powergame but always interesting
> skills are fiddly but realistically detailed
> terminology is straightforward
> Rules modular design means it's could be a simple as complex as you want it
> rule book is organised in most efficient way possible

Hail Steve Jackson.
>>
>>44510318
They literally have a skill for the blowpipe weapon... There are just too many skills. Praise gurps if you want to but it is also a game with a lot of neat ideas but that is not for everyone.
>>
File: 47.jpg (136 KB, 640x465) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
136 KB, 640x465
>>44507877
Is this the THINGS I DON'T LIKE thread?
Great!

>full of aggressive underage idiots
>the art of lurking has been lost forever
>most easily trolled community on the internet
>severely autistic in trying to regulate the fun others are having on the other side of the world
>thoroughly depraved of any class or style because WAIFU RAEP SLAVE!
>destructive herd mentality
>unreflected fanboism of inferior products with disenfranchising commercial distribution
>racing to the bottom of social standards
>also proud of it for some reason
>reflection and criticism are banable

Why is /tg/ such shit? It used to be a great place but honestly now it has become an asocial fetish containment board and no amount of posting quality will raise it out of the deluge of sewage which posters like OP just unleash here. There's no way around it, it's all shite.

Is there a single reason to make threads about things you don't like besides deriving joy from annoying strangers who have done nothing but play something that doesn't meet your personal and deeply flawed expectations?
>>
File: disdain for plebs.jpg (38 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.jpg
38 KB, 400x402
I get why people like GURPS and FATE but do they always have to be the first two replies when someone asks about anything regarding any kind of mechanic?

Like yeah, they're supposed to be vague and universal but sometimes (read: most of the time) it's not what people are looking for. Just because they're supposed to be able to spawn whatever amount of possible settings from their rules doesn't mean that it works the other way around.

I don't mind people who like them, but GURPSfags and fatefags are absolutely the worst and laziest pieces of shit on the board by far.
>>
>>44515150
You forgot to d20 fags.
>>
>>44515253
nobody actually likes the d20 system, anon
>>
>>44509562
>Yeah, you'd have to hack the shit out of it to have it work for horror.
Not really.

>1 Refresh
>1 Stunt
>No stress, consequences only
>>
>>44515150
So what exactly is your complaint?
>>
>>44515432
that gurpsfags and fatefags automatically redirect people to their systems without actually listening or thinking about what the person asking is actually asking if there's an echo of a remote possibility that what they're asking is vaguely similar to something they saw on their DIY cookie cutter tutorial once and then procceed to ignore the questions like "whew i sure helped them my work here is done" and not actually contributing to anything
>>
>>44515486
Have you considered that they delivered exactly what the person asked and you're just being a faggot?

What exactly do you contribute?
>>
>>44515500
I tend to actually take time to read what people ask and try to find something that might help them, or I try to come up with something on the spot and engage in conversation about mechanics and systems to help people overcome whatever question they have, or at least redirect them to something else that might help them out more than i could, or I don't contribute at all if i'm not sure i can help the person in question because i know if i talk without actually knowing what to say they're gonna be even more confused than before

yknow as opposed to
>x: how should I ______
>y: gurps
>>
>>44515500
Not the same guy, but the entire thread was bait from the beginning, and whether legit or not, anon made a good point about what this thread is supposed to be: why fatefags are so annoying given their system is pretty bad?

I won't argue if fate is good system or not. But I do agree with that anon. The fatefags quite often are quite obnoxious trying to force down your throat their pet system.
>>
>>44515576
>>
>>44515150
GURPSfags are mostly laboring under the sunk cost fallacy. They always crow about the modular design and how you don't actually need every one of the ginormous library of rulebooks, but the fact is that you still need to be FAMILIAR WITH that whole big library of rulebooks in order to figure out which rules modules you want to pare it down to. In order to play any given game of GURPS you might not need all that much, but in order to use it as advertised to run games tailored to all manner of various different themes and genres, it really is exactly as daunting as the massive library of books looks to an outsider. Much like 3eaboos, GURPSfags have invested so much into their pet system that they're reluctant to move away from it. (Though at least, unlike 3eaboos, their system does by all accounts actually function well for numerous kinds of campaigns.)
It's irritating, but at least understandable.

FATEfags, on the other hand, I don't know what their deal is.
>>
>>44515150
>>44515486
>>44515576
>>44515595
Yes, but have you considered using GURPS: FATE for your game?
>>
I like FATE.
It only works with certian well kinds of people though

Its easier to make shit up on the fly and lends itself well to people tat are more interested in RPing than straight forward combat.

I do see the issues. But Ive been lucky enough to play with people that don't exploit them.
>>
>>44515740
Most fatefags babble about two things:

At one hand, they keep telling how awesome their system is because you have to homebrew half of the system to fit your game, and improvise the rest on the fly. (The diametrical opposite to GURPS, apparently)

And at the other, they genuinely believe they are some kind of special snowflake because only good players enjoy fate, becase "is not for everyone".
>>
>>44515740
I think tghe decision to get into gurps has to be made, it's not a game you just end up with because it is not only financially an investment, but also in learning. So I believe that most people convinced of gurps have gotten into it with the wish to find the one system that solves it all. However, this is contrary to the nature of games. That dissonance is easily channeled into mission work and undercutting anyone who fails to be convinced of the same fallacious belief.

As for Fate, it's a whole different issue. Fate shines by removing all the clutter of the mechanics through having them apply to the story structure instead of the physics of the game. So it completely removes a ton of problem that people have with classic RPGs. But it requires an abstraction to do so. So the unwillingness of DnDfags to take that step in order to concentrate on what matters and their insistence to resolve irrelevant details in arduous rules can be frustrating. Especially when it is paired with an utter resistance to try it out. Fatefags don't want everyone to play their game and nothing else, they want the scene to stop pretending new is bad when this time around there really is a great innovation to game mechanics in general happening.
>>
>>44515857
Every system is "not for everyone", it's often stated in Fate's case because there're both fans and people who hate it that think it's supposed to be some all encompassing system capable of everything, they're just split on whether or not it's good at that.

What people should really be saying is that Fate is heavily narrativist.
>>
>>44512628
That's where wildcard skills come in.
>>
>>44516096
GNS, here we go!
>>
>>44515941
>t. FATEfag
>>
>>44515941
>removing all the clutter
>completely removes a ton of problem that people have with classic RPGs
>So the unwillingness of DnDfags to take that step in order to concentrate on what matters and their insistence to resolve irrelevant details
>there really is a great innovation to game mechanics in general happening

This has got to be the single most infuriating thing about FATEfags: This belief that their personal preference for lighter, narrativist systems is somehow a universal truth of Good Gamingâ„¢, and FATE is the messiah system come to deliver us from all those nasty rules that have been holding us back all this time.

Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe some people don't consider those matters of game-world mechanics mere "irrelevant details"? That they actually find stories shaped mainly by in-world logic rather than meta-level authorial manipulation of story events more satisfying? That those details help them engage the story better and tie the whole gaming experience together, because there's a clear and tangible link between what the dice and rules are saying and what happens in the narrative? That maybe, just maybe, if they're asking for a SYSTEM to do a particular kind of game, they're looking for rules to specifically SUPPORT and EVOKE certain kinds of events and effects, rather than rules that sit quietly in the corner and dutifully avoids impacting the feel of gameplay at all?

Like, fuck, I can see advocating for more openness to narrativist mechanics. I can dig a narrativist game from time to time, and even when I do crunchier stuff I think it works best with a good dose of narrativist mechanics in certain areas. But this holier-than-thou evangelistic attitude FATEfags have is downright atrocious. Not everyone who disagrees with your personal taste does so because they're too stuck in their backward ways to even consider alternatives.
>>
>>44516450
So you're yelling at me for liking what you don't like? What is the point of that? Play whatever you want. What makes you want to tell me what I play is bad?
>>
>>44516500
>So you're yelling at me for liking what you don't like?
No, he's yelling at you for being a holier-than-thou faggot.
>>
>>44516527
I'm not a teenager with one hand fiddling his balls if that is what you mean. Holier-than-thou requires actually saying anything about 'thou'. Find a different strawman.
>>
>>44516563
Did you miss the bit where you spent the hole second paragraph of >>44515941 wanking FATE?
>>
>>44509516
> man, this roadkill is gross

> lel this dogshit is gross, bro

Okay, what's your point?
>>
>>44509516
Now do it for WHFRP3e or one of FFG's SWRPGs.
>>
>>44516563
I'm a Fatefag, but man.

>The unwillingness of DnDfags to take that step in order to concentrate on what matters...
>Completely removes a ton of problem that people have with classic RPGs...

Come on man.
>>
>>44516500
No, I'm yelling at you for casting your preference as objective fact, and those who disagree as willfully ignorant luddites. And using this paradigm to defend spamming your preference constantly regardless of context or applicability.

By all means, play whatever you want. But this conversation is about people who don't merely play what they like, but also insist upon mindlessly pimping it every time anybody ever indicates a desire for a system to run a certain game.
>>
>>44515857
>they genuinely believe they are some kind of special snowflake because only good players enjoy fate, becase "is not for everyone".

That isn't remotely true. We think it's not for everyone because some players will not enjoy it.
>>
>>44516955
Let's be honest, there's usually quite a lot of disparaging attitude implied toward those who don't enjoy it. For instance, >>44515941.
>>
>>44517192
And there's a lot of disparaging attitude toward those who do. Far more, I'd say, given Fate's market share versus other games.

So let's be honest, the real issue here isn't one system or the other, it's disparaging attitudes in general.
>>
>>44507877
You know what, OP
That last point is something I'd have trouble disagreeing with. Its SRD, however, is a stunning free resource.

>>44515150
I don't like using a least common denominator to solve problems. However, some posters, when asking for system recommendations, are incredibly specific. One's only recourse is to tell them gently that their best odds are a toolkit system, because nothing else will really satisfy their grocery list (and other systems are generally more difficult to "toolkit-ify").

Mercifully, we have flowchart .pngs and other documents to help people find out for themselves their system of choice, which you could attest is the laziest option of all when you just throw it at the OP.
>>
>>44509516
>requires overpriced special dice
what
>>
>>44518152
>flowchart .pngs and other documents to help people find out for themselves their system of choice
i have never seen such a thing

closest i have seen is images listing the basics of each edition of d&d
>>
File: Choose your demise.gif (190 KB, 1627x1052) Image search: [Google]
Choose your demise.gif
190 KB, 1627x1052
>>44518236
You might have seen this one?

I need to find my other chart, stylized as a dungeon map/maze. Really pretty. In all, these things are a good resource if you're curious about the diversity of TTRPGs
>>
>>44518197
Compare the cost of a set of regular, six faced dice (you know, the ones most people would associate with "dice"), with the cost of a set of assorted size dice for RPGs.
You think having a d4/d8/d10/d20 is normal because you are used to it. Try showing a d20 to a normie and tell me they're not special.
>>
>>44518280
That chart sucks. The D&D part is edition war bait at its finest.
>>
>>44518280
>no mention of Mekton in the Mecha section
I'm with the other anon, this chart is shit.
>>
File: 1414973921585.jpg (2 MB, 3150x2400) Image search: [Google]
1414973921585.jpg
2 MB, 3150x2400
>>44518317
Found the pretty one
>>44518411
Sorry, still no Mekton in this. It would be cool if there were/is a more open choose-a-system resource that people could edit.
>>
File: 1450410979375.jpg (44 KB, 500x531) Image search: [Google]
1450410979375.jpg
44 KB, 500x531
>>44518499
disclaimer: same goy made this one as the other
>>
>>44512628
>Had a skill for blow gun

Has that an weird one? It thought you'd meantiin the skill for midwifery
>>
File: 1447659725372.jpg (41 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
1447659725372.jpg
41 KB, 415x367
>>44518562
Truly, all things are possible through GURPS
t. Fatefag
>>
Is OpenD6 a shit?
>>
>>44518280
oh cool
although it looks like its really more for people who already have some experience with questions like do you like d20.
>>
>>44518562
when that came up in 3e i just used the heal skill and gave a minor bonus for being a cleric of a church that would give there clergy some training in the matter.
>>
>>44518280
>MMORPG
Yeah, nah, this chart can fuck off.
>>
>>44518499
This is impossible to read.
>>
>>44518745
It does pander to narrative bull shit or hard core techno wank. So yes.
>>
>>44518499
I found a larger version of that and while pretty it's still not very good. It asks some nonsensical questions ("do you like open licenses?" Why would that matter for choosing a game?) and has a ton of games that have been out of production for 20+ years.
>>
>>44519343
>has a ton of games that have been out of production for 20+ years.
It's not like that matters much, what with the prevalence of PDFs and all.
>>
I just don't understand the appeal of FATE.

If you want something like this why not just "roll d100 for everything, GM decides what happens".

It literally works the same but without the need for books.
>>
File: 1450797116614.jpg (23 KB, 698x672) Image search: [Google]
1450797116614.jpg
23 KB, 698x672
>>44519706

>YFW "roll [dice] for [thing], GM decides what happens" literally describes every game system that has been or ever will be invented
>>
>>44519729

Not really. Shit like DnD is a video game you play with dice and paper.
>>
>>44519729

Are you starting to understand why 300 pages of rules are pointless bullshit?
>>
>>44519748

Name a system where this exact situation does not apply. Literally just one.

Note that diceless systems by definition don't apply.
>>
>>44519764

Many idiots play games like DnD 100% by the RAW. With players trying to fuck the GM with making retarded builds or finding loopholes in the rules.

And some GM's are retarded enough to allow that.
>>
File: 1442985647877.jpg (139 KB, 500x758) Image search: [Google]
1442985647877.jpg
139 KB, 500x758
>>44519706
>>44519729
Weird criticism--usually, people attack the amount of agency Fate characters have, not the whimsy-powers of its GMs.
>>44519787
I do not miss D&D's "builds" and other competitive implementations. There was some goofy and fun shit accomplished but it was mostly me coming to understand my "interesting" character was a sideshow oddity who couldn't be as useful as the Murderlord 5000.
Perhaps as a reactionary measure, I was driven from D&D into Fate to escape gamist systems.
>>
>>44519706
> "roll d100 for everything, GM decides what happens"

This is exactly not what happens in Fate. In Fate players have agency. If anything you are describing BRP.
>>
>>44519364
Maybe that's true, but I still don't think suggesting Boot Hill or TSR Conan are good choices.
Also

>Cyber
>What do you want to mix it with
>punk

WTF
>>
>>44519787
You are going in circles with your argument.
It's not a matter of playing by RAW or not. Tell us how "roll a die, DM decides what happens" does not describe the entirety of traditional RPGs.
>>
>>44519950
or my favorite, that laffo-tier "D2" system

I hope someone uses that
>>
>>44519978
Because some morons don't let the DM decide what happens. They go full Synnibarr-tier 'rules are god, GM is slave to rules'.
>>
File: Consider the following.jpg (474 KB, 1240x1672) Image search: [Google]
Consider the following.jpg
474 KB, 1240x1672
I play FATE, ask me anything.
>>
>>44520254
GM can work around any rule they want, and players cannot even prove it has happened. The GM is working with a limitless budget, after all, thus 'roll a die' etc.
>>
>>44520458
Do you like handling inventory with Aspects per item or just sorta writing bigger groupings of the stuff you carry?
I guess the best rule is 'make it an Aspect if it matters'...
>>
>>44520492
>GM can work around any rule they want,
Not in Synnibarr.
>>
>>44520569
Depends on the campaign and the method of acquisition.

Let's take fantasy for a second. "I buy rope and oil and some other shit" is a given and needs no aspect beyond an aspect like [Prepared For Eventualities]; if it's given a resources roll, I put a free invoke on it as well. A magic sword that can cut through magic is given the aspect as, well, [The Sword That Slashes Through The Arcane], and it also gets a Stunt attached to it that lets it inflict 2 extra shifts against magic-wielding enemies (also known as a Weapon:2 rating).

In modern, it depends, and any special resources/tools like a Walkie Talkie aren't given aspects by themselves. You tend to abstract more in modern, which is a weird thing to think about, but that's because it's more grounded in reality so people don't want to be told how mundane they are. In case they get something like a spy tool (say, a [Shoe Phone]), I do make them Aspects and give them Stunts, but it's a lot rarer.
>>
>>44520569
It's easiest to just assume that the PCs have tools and supplies you'd expect them to have available to them, and provide no bonuses - basically anything you haven't rolled for is fluff, mechanics-wise.
>>
>>44520582
Debatable, and besides no-one plays it considering the clusterfuck rules and general insanity in it.
>>
>>44520634
The players get extra XP if the GM fucks up a rule, so the only way out is to homebrew that away.
>>
File: 1438447561209.jpg (143 KB, 736x928) Image search: [Google]
1438447561209.jpg
143 KB, 736x928
>>44520617
>>44520605
Thanks. This is how I figured it ought to go for my modern setting. I use a mutant version of the Resources skill that covers 'just having stuff' if people want to hack something with unusual parts together, but with some kind of roll-challenge.
Do you guys ever use Aspects like a shield? I mean, go up against or create things/bosses that require a procedure/item that makes it vulnerable? I realize this isn't unusual at all in a lot of game systems so maybe that's redundant... it just seems like THE system to use descriptors as a form of armor.
It's mostly so my players have to disable certain foes in particular way, instead of just +2ing them to death with whatever skill they feel like works.

>>44520634
>>44520655
Holy shit, that is hilarious
Is Synnibarr some kind of cure-all for sci-fi?
>>
>>44520655
I know, and the GM is supposed to show the players his notes after a session, and they get bonus XP if he deviated from them in any way (possibly even if he saved their assess from a tpk...)

Even then, there's no real way to force the GM follow the rules behind the scenes - for example, if they're in a fight there's no way for the players to know if the GM is even keeping track of monster hp and not just having it keel over when he feels like it should. And that's not even a very far fetched example, if you follow the GMing threads that comes up every now and then how some people run.
>>
File: clip (2015-09-27 at 02.50.21).jpg (70 KB, 434x361) Image search: [Google]
clip (2015-09-27 at 02.50.21).jpg
70 KB, 434x361
>>44520719
>Do you guys ever use Aspects like a shield?
All the time. It's the way I tend to do boss fights. If I'm not doing it "couple of mooks around the boss, boss is PC-level or sliiiightly higher" style, I'll have the boss require some manner of strategy and intellect, a bit of puzzle-solving with all the pieces given to them before or during the battle.

However I never punish my players for just bruteforcing it. Everything has more than one solution, and if their solution is WE'RE GONNA BASH THE SHIT OUT OF HIM, it's gonna work... eventually. A success with style will still place a Boost on him, and enough boosts from just trying to brute-force it will have some spectacular result, like sending the guy crashing through a wall despite his massive beehive-patterned shield and having debris nearly crush him (disabling the shield in the process).

I... don't have the most clever players.
>>
>>44520719
Synnibarr is one man's quest to stop GM improv.
>>
>>44520893
Through what, exactly?
Transparency?
>>
>>44516648
I think the real reason you see a lot of Fate system recommendations is because Fate is designed to emulate traditional media - its designers call it a story engine rather than a physics engine.

As a result, since most system requests are in the form of "what would be a good system to play a story that's like (traditional media IP without its own dedicated RPG)?" it only makes sense that anyone that likes Fate would recommend it - it's theoretically designed for exactly that.

People doing the normal /tg/ thing of "muh system preference is the objectively superior patrician choice because I say so and fuck you if you disagree" is just par for the course with any system.
>>
>>44520911
Through punishing them if they deviate from their campaign notes or the rules, which encourages the players to always be watching them for any mistakes.

You improvised? Say goodbye to the balance in your campaign, as all your players just got triple (I think) XP for the session.
>>
File: 1440676363396.jpg (113 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
1440676363396.jpg
113 KB, 1024x760
>>44521486
Here I am thinking it was just a rules-heavy sci-fi system, kek

>>44520755
I think I'll make sure the hints are heavy-handed; people don't record enough details to typically benefit from a puzzle
>>
>>44519706
>not using fudge dice as GM in other games.
>>
>>44518499
>no mention of B/X
otherwise it's ok.
>>
>>44520893
>Synnibarr
That sounds like autism incarnate. Some of my worst experiences come from people who insisted on absolute rules adherence.
>>
Question; seeing VO's hilarious allegation that Fate runs on GM whim (in direct contradiction to some of his other threads where he accuses it of full player agency) a thought formed. Are there actually any freeform RPGs out there? I admit I've never really looked into it but I can't recall seeing any. (With freeform I mean no rules at all.)
>>
>>44522662
Everything has rules bromigo. Even kids when they play make believe have understandings of how things work in the game,even if they aren't very defined or solid.
>>
File: FUlogo[1].png (32 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
FUlogo[1].png
32 KB, 500x386
>>
>>44507877
>skill pyramid is confusing bullshit

Are you retarded?
>>
>>44515595
>I won't argue if fate is good system or not. But I do agree with that anon. The fatefags quite often are quite obnoxious trying to force down your throat their pet system.

I'm not sure why this is considered a valid criticism. "Holy fuck, people like this system and recommend it! What a bunch of assholes!"
>>
I used to be a Fate naysayer, but having tried it, I really like it. Aspects really do encourage the traits of a character's design or personality to come out in gameplay, and include a built in mechanic to keep their flaws relevant, rather than encouraging players to pick ones unlikely to come up. The abstraction of the system allows more freedom in gameplay. The mechanics are simple, and flow smoothly in practice. It is an elegantly designed system.
>>
>>44522932
>people like this system and recommend it!
That's not the problem. The problem is the assholes who come in and are all 'Oh, look at all these convoluted rules, FATE doesn't have such ridiculous complexity, why aren't you playing FATE?'.

Like the FATE equivalent of those niggers who just post 'GURPS' without giving suggestions as to what sourcebooks to use.
>>
>>44522989
So, you're holding trolls against an entire system and its fanbase? That's entirely unreasonable. Shitposters gonna shitpost.
>>
>>44523001
>trolls
Does >>44515941 look like a troll to you?
>>
>>44520458
Why are you using a furry image for your QnA?
>>
>>44521723
>I think I'll make sure the hints are heavy-handed; people don't record enough details to typically benefit from a puzzle
I think it's better in the case of shit like >>44520755 where the boss has a unique gimmick or so (the barrier) to just lay it out for the players instead of heavy-handed hints and such. The players aren't you, whatever hint you're giving them runs the chance of it not working because it's something you thought of and the PCs don't always have the full picture due to the nature of GM -> PC narration.

>"Dude's got the aspect [Good Fucking Luck, I'm behind a Seven-Layered Barrier]. What do?
>>
>>44523039
Considering this is a discussion of the merits of Fate as a system, he's not intruding in an unwelcome fashion.
>>
>>44523050
What.
>>
>>44522932
One part stems from universality. Since Fate is a framework without genre specifics (and GURPS has books for pretty much everything) it can easily be recommended for running almost any idea. That in turn grinds VO's gears because he dun like narrative games and has to shit on all of them.

But overall the criticism is pretty silly.

> Anon A: Hey /teeg/ what would be a good system to run X as an RPG?
> Anon B: You could always try to make a Fate hack because it is a generic framework.
> VO: Fuck those obnoxious fags recommending Fate! Because reasons!
>>
>>44523062
I guess you're just too used to using them that you don't notice the snout on the bottom-left character.
oh well not noticing garbage is characteristic of FATE fans I guess
>>
>>44523082
Honestly, I can understand it. You see things recommended continually, it grates on you, especially if you also see it getting recommended where it wasn't asked for (which, Fate, GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, and Dungeon World were all regularly recommended in such a fashion). But it's still not really a valid criticism of a system, since it has nothing to do with the system's merits.
>>
>>44523053
Three-Clue-Rule, failing that just let them deduce it with "create an advantage" rolls to reveal the aspect or get a very direct hint at it.
>>
>>44522989
VO, I don't see a problem in recommending a rules-medium system as an alternative to complex systems. It is just your obsession of seeing any mention of narrativist systems as an ad hominem.

In short, you are the problem.
>>
>>44507877
>> skill pyramid is confusing bullshit

What?

WHAT?

Ok. A: Fuck fate, yes. It's a terrible system.

But YOU, the fucking retard that can't understand grade-school piling.

Leave.
>>
>>44516103
What are those?
>>
>>44523594
A skill that replaces a number of more specialised skills. Example: Guns! can be broken up into Pistols, Rifles, Machine Guns, etc.
>>
>>44523664
Like they did with GURPS Ultralite? That feels very interesting.
>>
The only question that matters to me is "are we having fun?" If not, throw the system out, it is worthless. If yes, keep on keeping on.

It is that simple.
>>
>>44523128
Oh. You're cute, anon.
>>
>>44522045
My worst experience is with Magic Tea Party RPGs, like Monsterhearts and Fate,
>>
>>44507877
>posting the truth about FATE
>on /tg/
Get ready for assblasted bootybuddies to ban you
>>
>>44507877
>basic arithmetic is autistic
>skill pyramid is confusing

I don't care whether or not anybody likes Fate, but I also don't understand how you could earnestly hold those opinions while enjoying ANY /tg/ hobby.
>>
What variant of FATE do you like best? I think Strands of Fate is pretty good, a bit more granular than regular FATE.
>>
>>44526812
Not sure about the tons of existing variants but I want to see what happens with Interface Zero adaptation
>>
>>44524040

A good system is like a good spy network; when it works well and does what it should, no-one really sees it working. It's about getting a system that fits with the group, I agree.
>>
>>44524040

But even good recipes are ruined by inept cooks. There's more variables to whether a game system is good than whether or not the players are having fun, because they could be not having fun for a number of reasons.

Your rationale is flawed and your insight is dumb.
>>
>>44524550
>Magic Tea Party RPGs
I've never heard that expression before, do you mean that they are too loose and like pretend play?
>>
>>44529328
"Magical Tea Party" is a worthless phrase coined by utter dumbasses.
>>
>>44507877
>or reading d6s in an autistic fashion

Roll 1d6 and then subtract another 1d6 from that first 1d6.

I think the only autist here is yourself.
>>
>>44526812
Core is pretty much what I've been looking for in a semi-light RPG.
>>
>>44508116
Acknowledging or mocking a bait always seems really fruitless when you still get up to 128 replies and 19 images omitted.

It doesn't even matter how bad a bait is. It always works anyhow. Because we're /tg/, and we're autistic fucks who can't ever let anything be.
>>
>>44530303
Isn't that how Feng shui does it?

Also not to incite a shitstorm, but doesn't the fact that fate uses 4 fudge dice cause some weird probability dip in the center of the results (~+0)?
>>
What kinds of games have you run/want to run/think are appropriate to run with FATE or a FATE derivative?
>>
>>44530508
It's designed to produce 0 as the most common result.
>>
>>44530530
Just about anything I'd say, if you know how to use the mechanics well and don't mind that it wont model much with detail.
>>
>>44509516
Does anyone ACTUALLY play D&D anymore? I haven't played D&D in 15-20 years.
>>
>>44530530
Anything pulpy or comic I've heard is the easiest to grasp but supposedly, if you know how to tweak the system, it can do anything.
>>
File: could this be gaussian.png (8 KB, 932x584) Image search: [Google]
could this be gaussian.png
8 KB, 932x584
>>44530508
No, not bimodal distribution

You get lots of 0
>>
>>44530898
Lots of people, and Pathfinder (D&D with the serial numbers filed off) is currently the most popular on the market.
>>
>>44530956
Ah ok, I had heard that it had a bimodal distribution where +1 or -1 was more likely than 0. Clearly they were wrong.
>>
File: 4dF.jpg (51 KB, 535x459) Image search: [Google]
4dF.jpg
51 KB, 535x459
>>44530956
And here by the way is the distribution of the type of dice roll Fate uses, the 4dF.
>>
>>44531020
A Fudge die (or Fate die if you want) is a 6-sided die with sides of -, -, 0, 0, +, +.
>>
File: NOICE.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
NOICE.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>44531118
Oh damn you can list the array of dice output
no more 4d3-8 for me!

To be clear, my graph is what happens when two Fate characters roll against each other
And it is curvy
>>
>>44531175
Yeah anydice has some neat tricks under its hood. Apparently you can do some pretty complex things if you read about the functions.
Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.