[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it just me, or does DMing involve a lot of boring kitchen-sink
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1451266145099.jpg (533 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1451266145099.jpg
533 KB, 900x900
is it just me, or does DMing involve a lot of boring kitchen-sink type design choices?

Oh, here's this new place. They have a city. With townspeople. Who have everyday jobs....

there's this religion, and there's this army. And a king-leader. And after a while all fundamental concepts are the saaaaaame
>>
It's only as boring as you are.
>>
>>44502737
I don't think you know what "kitchen sink design choices" are since you are arguing that consistency between locations in a setting is boring.

A kitchen sink is bad because your land of barbarians and robots and aliens neighbors a nation that's all bandits and untamed wilderness with no crossover between the two whatsoever.

Good design makes the two nations as distinct as Texas and California - two large coastal states with mostly unusable land bordering a troublesome neighboring country.
>>
>>44502949
you don't get bored of civilization in general?

players need the rudiments, or else the world would get pretty boring. But don't the themes strike you as fundamentally repetitive? Yes, I'm unimaginative
>>
>>44503033
Then run a game in an environment, where the social order is collapsing, nobody can be trusted, least of all the authorities, and you're trying to get OUT.

You are literally, as a DM only limited by your imagination, if your players want to demand a kitchen sink then it's up to you whether or not to acquiesce to that.
>>
>>44503033
Run a game that's basically a Western, newly settled territory.
>>
>>44503033
Run a game in the underdark.
Run a game in a magical hivecity.
Run a game on the frontier.
>>
>>44503033
Why not make a game with a setting like OFF's, where the way the world works is so fundamentally different from how we normally understand it that there's no real direct translation, a world where you have to actually sit down and explain some of the rules before you can really understand what's going on?
A world where you can shape electricity with your bare hands, for example, and create weapons or objects, not out of a material like electricity, but actually out of electricity.
>>
>>44502737
she's cute who is she
>>
>>44503929
She's a fucking cartoon. Faggot.
>>
>>44503541
>>44503806

Civilization always marches on. To the Drow that live in the Underdark, Menzoberranzan is mundane to them. That's their baseline.

Electro people would take their electro powers for granted and use them for opening cans of beans and stuff.

The whole point of adventuring is to escape your boring baseline background. The more fantastical the setting, the more odd the adventure must become.
>>
>>44503984

Then be a plantthing that wants to escape from it's boring magical murderhole of a swamp, and travel into the human lands.

boring is subjective. And while we're at it, are you here for advice, for knowledge, or to whine?
>>
>>44503984
And?
Do you fucking shape electricity with your hands?
Menzoberranzan is used in Dungeons and Dragons because it's unique from our mundane, which should make it interesting for people who are playing it.
If you're going to move the goalposts every time an answer come up, you're shit out of luck and gonna have to take what you get.
>>
>>44504016

I'm here to fuck bitches.
>>
>>44504161
Yes.

You don't?

How drole.
>>
>>44502737
Of course it is boring as fuck. Why do you think we, that as been forced into forever-DM roles, hate it so much?
>>
>>44502737
spent like half an hour trying to find a nice way to say this but your post basically says "im stupid" and must be bait
>>
>>44502737
What are you even complaining about? Are you complaining?

What's the point of this thread?
>>
File: 1112454752.png (247 KB, 500x612) Image search: [Google]
1112454752.png
247 KB, 500x612
>>44503956
>He likes 3D girls
>>
>>44503929
From Yesterday o Utatte. I forget her name. She's currently "losing", kind of. It's not so cut and dry a story, which is why I enjoy it.
>>
>>44504205
>doesn't get excited by economics, migration and topography

Shit DM, please quit.
>>
>>44504403
Oh, yeah, I totally didn't remember her!

Polite sage for off-topic.
>>
Because while imagination is a magical, limitless thing, time and effort are finite resources. It's downright stupid to burn through all your good ideas at once. Sure, I could send the players into the city whose history, culture, geography, political structure, ethnic tensions, cuisine, major festivals, and sexual norms I spent hours painstakingly crafting, but if I'm fairly certain the players are just going to walk into the first tavern they find, learn the Macguffin du jour is in the hands of some bandits, and immediately leave in search of their hideout, I'll just make it some generic town, and save the city for when they're searching for clues to uncover who's behind the plot to overthrow the king, where having something fun and interesting to explore will actually make a difference for the players.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.