[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ - Shadowrun General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Shadowrun usual suspects.jpg (901 KB, 1488x994) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun usual suspects.jpg
901 KB, 1488x994
Connecting to Shadowlands BBS...
>Verifying Biometrics...
>Identity Verified...
>Opening /srg/...

Books:
http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr (embed)

Chummer 5:
https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/latest

Last Thread: >>44446873

Thread question: where would you celebrate New Year, omae? And with who?
>>
>>44501535
>with who?
With Jane the leather-clad razorgirl, anywhere. ;_;
>>
>>44500624
Oh, I already fixed it on my end, I just wanted to mention it so that you knew.

Have you gotten any reports of Advanced Lifestyles not working for people? Mine always throws errors.
Here's the one I'm getting now: http://pastebin.com/Pt3d6bWJ
>>
>>44501833
Fuck off, Jane is my waifu, not yours
>>
Is this rhe best thread to post a question relating to character creation for Shadowrun?

First time player and wanted to get opinions on something I'm torn over.
>>
>>44502192
Yup, go ahead.
>>
>>44502213
Basically I'm making an orc mage who used to be a PI. The plan is that he's as comfortable with a hand cannon as he is with spells after years as a PI.
Is it worth the essence loss to have an augmented arm with something like an auto loader or similar advantage?
I want him to feel like he can handle a lot of situations given his background.
Using 4th edition.
>>
>>44502264
A single kitted out cyberlimb is worth the Essence point, yes.
>>
>>44502480
Thanks.
Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to picking at Orc for a magic build?
>>
>>44502634
They tend to be tougher, and can take more Drain, generally.
>>
>>44502755
Thanks for the help.

While I'm here, any advice for a first time DM? I'll be sharing the burden with another experienced DM whose used to running WoD.
The runs will be shared between us as they're basically one offs.
An over arcing story will be worked out by us both.
>>
>>44501911
Not yekka, but yes, mine has always crashed.
>>
>>44502995
How annoying
I really wanted to use that "Hotel California" negative quality to represent my character having to duck out from under his/her parents' noses.
I thought it would be fun and silly.
>>
What do you guys do for character inspiration?

I feel like I'm in a serious slump and all my concepts seem kinda flat and boring to me.
>>
>>44505525

I take a general archetype, generally from literature or film, and then flesh it out with real world experience. Characters don't need to be larger than life if they're authentic.
>>
>>44505525
Just keep mining one idea until you find something you like. I saw the Blood Moon Kalista splash art for league of legends, fell in love with it, and decided I could make some kind of yokai themed adept, then that became an unarmed adept like batman, then that a yak adept, then that meant prison time, prison tattoos, tattoos as foci, rolled between yay and nay on the Yakuza bit before dumping it, but liked the japanese tattoo idea, but then I figured what could I do with that, Kaiju seemed hilarious. Then I figured what would be fun to splash in and said maybe drugs, so I looked up those rules and what not.

What started out as a Traditional Shintoist Japanese Beast Adept whose mentor spirits were Yokai and did runs for the Yaks then became a recently released Ex-Con Chemist with Kaijus as Foci and a penchant for Cram, who trundles around dealing narcotics.

Now I'm just debating if Heisenberg would be a viable mentor spirit analogue for Shark, or if I should risk "That Guy"ing and pick a Toxic mentor.

Anyway it's been hours of fun picking what details stay and which don't. It doesn't have to be super original, it just has to be new for you, you know?
>>
>>44505525
>Imagine the background of your character, EG Italian Mob Bruiser
>Add a 'fault' to your character, anything from being really attached to a family member or having a depressing event weighing on them, EG Italian Mob Bruiser who works to pay for his son's college fund
>After that, detail in why your character has that fault, EG The Bruiser's dad hardly ever spent any time or money on him, and so he wants to not be like his father, and spends as much time with his son as possible, which isn't a lot

Look at other people's characters for inspiration, but if you're creative enough you'll have a good start from those 3 steps, a good start is figuring out how your character got their backround. Just start adding details to details, and breadth is better than depth in this regard, so you have a lot to work with while you're playing
>>
>>44505525
I generally watch a lot of sci-fi/cyberpunk movies and shows.
Streetsam packed with ware based off of judge dread
Detective with some detection magic, idea from blade runner.
Cyber ninja from Taimanin Asagi. Packed with bower and other enhancements from chrome flesh
Harley Quinn-esque street punk
Blind Catholic Mage from some anime I forget the name of. Threw in the blindness and abused assensing auras cause I thought it would be cool.

Otherwise I just take characters archetype and just throw ideas at it till I like a particular look or backstory.
>>
>>44505525
Well, for the character concepts I've come up with (most of which have never seen play), it's a mix of inspirations.

Wall and California were inspired by people I've met. Wall is a big giant pacifist troll whose grandma told him (before he goblinized) that he he had an obligation not to hurt people, because he was so big. California is a professional con artist, based off someone I unfortunately met when working retail.

One, Kong, was inspired very heavily by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvwDohEEQ1E Big, strong, ork poseur gambling addict with an anger problem and a shotgun.

Two more were just silly joke names that became full characters. Warhorse, the cybernetic centaur, came into my head when thinking about runner names, and then deciding to extrapolate "Warhorse" a bit more literally than normal. Shiva is the only one of them that's seen any sort of play. He initially started out as a silly "Hey, I bet I can make mecha-shiva with a Nartaki!" concept, and ended up as a poor bastard that had his extra arms crushed beyond saving by pro-human gangers. Serious psychological trauma and detachable cybernetics ensued.

Oh, and Joe, the completely average middle-aged guy that got a predatory loan for his white picket fenced house and (stupidly) decided to shadowrun in order to make the money back. He was just an outgrowth of noticing that mechanically you could get permanent medium lifestyle with A rating cash at creation.
>>
I've just started reading up on 5e and was looking at qualities. Holy hell, what happen to SIN karma values? A corporate SIN gives 25 karma in 5e while in 4e it was only 10... o.o
>>
>>44506362
>o.o
It's an imageboard.
You can post an image.
>>
>>44505525
Keep an eye out for inspiration and then take the core concepts of it, cutting away everything that's not essential and then tweaking the rest so it fits.
A recent concept I brewed up started with watching Léon: The Professional in a not-too-sober state. I got worked up for creating a character because I liked the dynamic between a middle-aged man and a young girl being portrayed in a non-sexual way. I ditched the girl being an actual character because it can be very hard to convincingly write younger characters who can actually accomplish anything, and also my players would have started reminding me of the time I was new to roleplaying and didn't know how to make NPCs.
(TL;DR: Find inspiration, find out what you're not going to do because it's unviable/a ripoff/creepy.)
Then, I figured that I'd have the "girl" be multiple anthroform drones, since I felt like making a rigger anyway. Such a setup would be expensive, so my middle-aged rigger would have to be loaded. He must have some reason to construct drones that look like young girls and have a very close relationship to them that actually has roleplaying potential, so he must have some kind of underlying psychological snag. He's middle-aged and well-paid, so maybe an exec of some sort who has a daughter complex. There needs to be a reason he doesn't just have a kid, and instead of making him infertile, it seems less cliché to have him have lost all hope for a child after a disastrously failed marriage.
(TL;DR: Explain parts of the character concepts, string explanations together and think about the little hows and whys.)
So, in the end, after a few steps and finishing touches, I went from a movie that's easy to end up plagiarizing to a broken-down Renraku senior exec in his fifties who constructs drones to replace the daughter he never had and doesn't dare have because of how his marriage blew up over the issue of having a kid, then runs with them to honor the idea of someone who was never born.
>>
Bump.

What was your most recent run, chummers? How's the fallout turning out for you?
>>
What's SRG's opinion on having PC Toxic Magicians/Adepts? I find that Doom/Mutation/ could work well for a character concept, but I'm not as familiar with the IC consequences of that. Are they Blood Mage/Insect Spirit bad? Or more like, Eco Terrorists? I just got no sense of scale.
>>
>>44509573
Why not just ask to play a horror free spirit?
>>
>>44509614
I'll be honest, cause I have a vague understanding of what a free spirit is, let alone a horror one, and for the most part I like the character, with or without the toxic part.
>>
>>44505525

I read as much fiction as I can get my hands on, especially low fantasy and cyberpunk.
>>
>>44506362
GOD and the corps going full-on Big Brother in 5th.
>>
>>44509573
Insect Spirits and Horrors (who are the source behind blood magic) are outerplanar/alien entities devoted to either eating, enslaving or destroying all life on Earth.

Toxic shamans have their soul corrupted by the tainted Mana and are basically vessels for the gestalt anger of the Gaiasphere.

They are, literally, inhumane bastards that cannot be reasoned with, and all of them have bounties and are BBEG level dangerous.

Vampires are less of a problem, and that says a lot.
>>
>>44509573
At best, Toxic Mages are well-meaning eco-terrorist extremists with a very twisted sense of perspective. These toxic mages might be reasoned with, if they haven't completely lost themselves to the toxic yet. Otherwise, they are insane and extremely dangerous.

Most Toxics are as dangerous as blood mages and insect shamans, but in very very very rare cases they are not.
>>
>>44510810
>but in very very very rare cases they are not.

This typically happens when either the mage is so weak that his magic isn't particularly influencing him or the mage is only starting to manifest toxic aspects (won't be long now).
>>
>>44511175
>or the mage is only starting to manifest toxic aspects (won't be long now).
Easily represented with the Borrowed Time quality, though instead of death it's "goes fucking insane and attacks everyone". Burning all your edge in order to live would presumably burn out the toxic magic as well, probably with the party having to fight free spirit.
>>
>>44501911
Hrm. Can't replicate it. What's the exact quality you're trying to select?
>>
>>44510665
>>44510810
Alright, thanks guys. I decided on going Shark over Doom since mechanically close. Helped me dodge a bullet with the insano stuff.
>>
Can you remove base weapon modifications? Like if a gun has a laser sight preinstalled, can I remove that and replace it with a holographic sight?
>>
>>44513997
Yes.
>>
>>44513601
>Ask if Toxic shamans are playable
>Was going to take the most psycho of Mentors

"Doom embodies the desire of toxics to bring an end to all life on the planet. They seek to hasten the inevitable (as they see it) apocalypse and turn the world into a barren, polluted landscape. Followers of Doom see humanity as too tragically flawed to be allowed to survive, and thus carry out an agenda of total destruction. As a result of their nihilistic outlook, followers of Doom are isolationist and anti-social."

Seriously... Did you REALLY need Anons to spell out "These guys are villains"?
>>
>>44513997

Mods and accessories that come with weapons do not take up slots, but you could theoretically remove them.
>>
I was re-reading some of my sourcebooks and stumbled on this little nugget here regarding Renraku America. (Corporate Guide)

>Though former Director Huang has been arrested (and possibly is deceased), his team of scientists— commonly held to be responsible for the Arcology Shutdown—is rumored to be working on more emergent technologies similar to what was witnessed at the Renraku Arcology in Seattle. This time it is believed they are working on tech that can capture, transfer, and store biological memories.

> Downloading into human brains is how Deus escaped in the first place. It was only a matter of time before Renraku seized upon how the AI did it and patented the process.
> FastJack

Holy shit... the mega that takes the hit from the CFD bullshit in the meta advancement might not be NeoNET after all?
>>
Recently came into an SR thread and requested the 2Ds Shadowrun Storytime compilation to read at work. Request was quickly fulfilled and I've been enjoying them while waiting for customers. I now am thinking of weening my players off of our homebrew d20 game and getting onto something more geared towards d6s.

Does anyone have access to a rules lite SR or have a recommendation for what edition to start off with as a noob?
>>
How exactly do shadowrun births work? Can two elves give birth to a troll child, or a human and dwarf make an ork? Do they start off human, then morph when they hit puberty? Is there a book that talks about this in detail?
>>
>setting up a sneaking misison where a firewacth team will be in a room next door having a meeting
>make rest of the guards lazy per 6-7 because players are not really good at sneak
What are my chances of my players saying fuck it to sneaking and blow up front door?
>>
>>44514930
5th edition for Shadowrun.

Heavy Gear 2E or the ooooooold Star Wars system for good D6 systems.
>>
>>44514930
there is no rules-light shadowrun. it just isnt possible for a setting that includes so much.

the easiest version of shadowrun to learn is 4th edition, because the revised core book is far clearer than the 5e core book.

both version also have quick start rules, which i'd recommend trying out first
>>
>>44515522

Explain to them that firewatch teams are the following as per canon:

6 to 8 members per team with many years of experience as black ops operative, filled with Deltaware cyberware (as per Rating5/6 mooks they have skill ratings between 8 and 10). Even stripped naked they are some of the most fearsome opponents alongside the Red Samurais.

(Also gently remind them that ALL looted cyberware is "used" at best when looted, if they get any bright idea)

I mean... I'm not kidding... Buildings patrolled by the firewatch were told to be on site of an alarm within about 12 seconds (1 to 3 combat turns).

Stealth is like, the ONLY option.
>>
Got a group of runners arguing logistics over if they can get 50 grenades in a cow. Thoughts, concerns, SCIENCE!?
>>
>>44516098
I can't see why not cows are pretty fucking big

>>44515757
Yeah I'm most worried about the hot headed player in the team saying "fuck it" I mean if he does I hope the players learn how to leave someone for dead
>>
>>44516098
>>44516191
>I can't see why not cows are pretty fucking big

They can, if they can remove a crate-sized chunk of a dead cow.

No way in hell they can in a live one though.
>>
>>44515494
A human-human or meta-meta pairing will VERY rarely give birth these days to one of the other metas, though in the case of the trolls and orks this usually won't express until puberty. Human-metahuman pairings have a roughly 50-50 chance of being one or the other. Anecdotally, human-ork pairings are almost always orks.
>>
>>44516725
Based on what info?
>>
>>44516461
Yeah, but, four stomachs.
>>
>>44502480
How does a limb compare to internal cyber/bio for a mage?
>>
>>44517067
An arm is only good for shooting. Not sure what internal ware could a mage have, since most of it doesn't stack with magical augmentation, and WR eat too much of your essence.
>>
>>44515494
Its Possible for Non-Parental Metas to come out, but extremely unlikly. (When it does happen, I think Humans from non-humans are the most common)
Humans always run the risk of Goblinazation, mostly during puberty, its a lot more likely they Goblinize when at least on parent is Goblinoid.
Gobliniods can be born, most likely to happen when both parents are goblinoids.
Modtly I think its 50/50 but if you want to fluff it anyway different feel free, The poke'mon Model (Mother = Metatype) Isnt a bad one to default too.

One of the Old FASA novels involves An Elven Corp owner who pays to have a elven child delivered to him so no one will know his wife is an Elf-poser-human. They both love each other but he has appearences to keep. Their Elven Daughter is actually the main characters Daughter who he is trying to recover after the mother is killed.
>>
>>44517229
Last book I read on the subject made it clear that the chance for humans to be born of orks / trolls is pretty low, but that those that are have a high 90s % chance of goblinising.
>>
>>44517287
Yeah Gobonoids are much more likely to come out but its still possible for humans. I think the chance is a bit better if one parent is human, but Goblinoid is like a dominant trait or whatever.
>>
Hey, I got a possibly stupid question, that has a simple answer:

If I am getting an implanted cyberdeck, and I'm getting it alphaware... do I apply the 20% markup to the 5000 nuyen for the surgery and tack on the price of the deck separately, or do I price it as deck+5000, and then add 20% on top of the sum total?
>>
>>44517782
I'd say the deck cost is separate and not increased. The implant is kinda like a slot for a deck.

Others may disagree
>>
>>44516771

Each of them being pretty small. Their purpose is to have grass pass through and have a different bit digested in each, but it doesn't linger long. Its more like a threadmill for poop in the making.

Anyway, long story short, either grenades are gonna get stuck quickly, or be small enough that it goes through the process of digestion and are expelled.
>>
>>44517814

That would be correct.
>>
How much of the cost of cyberware is installation? Like, if I decided to get some used cybereyes I lifted from some poor soul and went to a street doc, what would he charge?
>>
>>44518477
Used cyberware cost minus fencing the item.
>>
Hey, I'm using Chummer5 to generate a character with Infected: Ghoul, and it's giving me an error message.

Is it that way for everyone, or is that just me?
>>
>>44519057
Infected aren't implemented in Chummer yet.
>>
>>44519080
Ah, alright, thanks. Any word when that'll happen?
>>
>>44519057
>>44519218
It's probably the natural weapon; the current release build has all of their weapons as physical ones, but the nightlies changed to dynamically generated ones that work properly.

https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases/download/Nightly-v1.0.594/Chummer.Nightly.zip
>>
>>44519400
What you working on now?
>>
File: 1449347991660.jpg (152 KB, 1288x1600) Image search: [Google]
1449347991660.jpg
152 KB, 1288x1600
>>44519419
Other guy's working on a redo of the skill controls, I'm mostly working on random stuff from the issue log, replacing the update system and getting annoyed at a guy on the shadowrun forums because he puts ellipses in front of everything he says.
>>
>>44505525
One thing people didn't say is that you don't even need to go with the character itself to begin with.

It's completely feasable you come up with a "why" and make the "who" around it. I mena, most characters are ade from the same mold. IMO it's usually a lot more important WHY (s)he truned to Shadowrunning.
>>
>>44519569
...Why would anyone do such a thing...?

heh heh
>>
What happens if a CFD-infected mage is astrally projecting when the nanite personality tries to take over for a while (or the fragment is projecting while the original personality comes back)?
>>
File: fishman.jpg (177 KB, 540x764) Image search: [Google]
fishman.jpg
177 KB, 540x764
Okay, what mods and magic do you need to turn yourself into fishman, capable of surviving unaided under the waves without the need to surface ever again.
>>
Not sure if it's written anywhere in the core book or data trails, but how do you get onto a specific grid? I know the public is free, but is the local grid on the gear list of stuff you can pay for? Also can you hack into corp grids and the like?
>>
>>44520989
>how do you get onto a specific grid?
You use either Grid Hop (if you have authorization to access to the target grid) or Brute Force/Hack on the Fly. (Instead of getting mark(s), you'll switch if successful.)
>>
>>44520754
OXSYS cybergill or bioware gills let you draw oxygen from water, but, according to their description, you'll still suffer things like nitrogen narcosis. Maybe you can refluff that as a poisoning and take toxin extractor to regulate the level of gases in your body. You'd also need some body hardening to withstand pressure.

>>44520989
Grids are a part of your lifestyle. If I remember right, Low and lower lifestyles use public grid, Middle uses local, and other get a global grid.

Global grids are all corp grids, so you hack into them the same way you hop to any other grid. There isn't a higher threshold or anything.
>>
>>44520989
IIRC, your lifestyle determines with grids you can access. I have no idea where you'd get access to more.
>>
>>44520311
Because he's a cunt and thinks that affectations are endearing or something, I dunno.
>>44520989
For some reason, the rules for getting extra Grid Subscriptions is in Hard Targets. Grids that come gratis with your lifestyle are:
Street: Public Grid
Squatter/Bolt Hole: Public Grid
Low/Traveler: Public Grid
Middle/Commercial: Public and Local Grid
High/Hospitalized: Public, Local, and a Global Grid
Luxury: Public, Local, and a Global Grid
Additional grid access is a lifestyle quality; local grid costs 50 a month, global costs 250.
>>
If I'm a decker facing a security guard, who's gun is slaved to a corp host, do I have to get into the host before I attack the gun, or can I attack it directly?
>>
>>44522148
Slaved to=/=Inside of, in the context of Hosts. Not necesarily, at least. If the gun is inside the Host, then it probably has a weapon commlink, but you wouldn't be able to see the gun, yes. If the gun is slaved to the Host, the spider is retarded. You don't slave devices that are easily stolen to the Host, that's a gigantic security flaw.
>>
>>44522148
If you're on the same host, theres no penalty. I think being on the same grid removes the penalty as well.
>>
>>44522148
You can attack it directly, but it will use the host's attributes to defend itself.
>>
>>44522186
If the guard is inside the host, and he's holding the gun, then the gun would appear next to his persona, right?

Also, can you elaborate on the:
>You don't slave devices that are easily stolen to the Host
Is it just about the "mark on slave = mark on master" rule? Or is there something else?
>>
>>44514587
Perhaps its just our table, but the only guy who had a mentor spirit was also shark and he never came up, so perhaps I'm not taking them as seriously. I mean the Megacorps are all evil but playing with a Corporate SIN's not terrible, you know?

Like I said, I think my sense of scope with the magic stuff is just off.
>>
>>44515757
They're not that amazing.
If you look at the 4e and 3e stats for them they're only Rating 5 mooks. They definitely do not have all 8 - 10 rated skills and deltaware cyber and all that shit (unless it's a special squad).
>>
>>44522970
Rating 5 is just one below the highest one. And other tip top special units like Red Samurai are PR5 as well.
>>
File: image.jpg (869 KB, 1535x1995) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
869 KB, 1535x1995
>>44523052
I didn't mean 'only' like that, it just seemed anon was hyping them beyond what they are.
>>
>>44523124
>>44522970
I don't play 4e, but doesn't skill rating only go up to 6 in 4e? You'd have to scale up their skill rating to match the change in 5e.
>>
>>44523124
They probably shouldn't get exorbitant skills (even prime runners don't always get 10), but having a martial art named after them has to mean something.
>>
>>44522970
>>44523124
Dice pools in 4e are not quite as large as they are in 5e. Those are ridiculously good stats for 4e.
>>
>>44514921
Well, shit. Maybe I need to change the corp that's doing e-ghost experiments in my campaign now. As much as I don't like Renraku, they'd be a better fit than Horizon by far.
>>
>>44523170
1: the same as in 5e
2: again, the same
3: a 3 or a 4, depends on the charavter
4: 5/6
5: 7, maybe an 8
6: 8/9/10/11 (rarely an 11)

>>44523193
Because they were the ones who made the martial art?
>>
>>44523170
>>44523405
Most of the time, I wouldn't change skill ranks between 4e/5e. The conversion guide says to double them for PCs, but that just fucks everything up.
>>
New 'runner here.

Does anyone else feel like the 5e rulebooks are just really poorly organized? Trying to learn about the rules then all of a sudden it's "turn to page 234" like some goddamn choose-your-own-adventure book. Christ.

Anyway. Lemme just make sure I've got this straight, because I think I may have fucked myself over.

So when you're taking an action and it calls for a skill, is it just asking for the Skill Rating, or for the total pool of dice you'd roll for a skill test?

For example:
>Disarm Data Bomb calls for a Software + Intuition [Firewall] test
>If I were just testing Software, it'd be: Rank 1 + Logic 6 = 7 dice
So am I rolling 1 + Intuition, or 7 + Intuition?

After continuing to read, I suspect the former, but figured I'd ask instead of trying to navigate this shit.

If that's the case, I gotta beg my GM to lemme redo my shitty skill choices.
>>
>>44523894

You roll your Skill Rank + Attribute.
Also: Jesus Christ, tell me you're not a decker and have 1 Rank in Software only.

I mean, I'm all about not minmaxing and making a character with more than one use, but, c'mon. You gotta have at least 4 or something.
>>
>>44518517
>>44518023

That, plus the temporary Hospitalized lifestyle while you heal the damage caused by the 'ware installation. (Damage is in the augmentation section. It's related to the essence cost). Though cybereyes might be less than a day.
>>
>>44523894
1 + Intuition. And you'll never be "just" testing Software. Tests might call for rolling a combinaison of two attributes, but never a skill on its own nor a combinaison of two skills.
>>
>>44523894
The former.
>>
>>44520754
Why not just Surge it?
>>
>>44521673

Just saying, but the amount of dots at the start and end of a sentence is an indian habit. It's kinda like an emoticon: it defines the tone of the written message if it was verbal to minimize miscommunications. Ellipsis just means its normal and doesn't mean any offense. IIRC four is being shy (like having a stupid question) and two is being firm or direct, none is being cold/professional... Or something in those lines, don't quote me on the meanings.

>I know because I was a production coordinator for TV and it was driving me nuts until I did my research.
>>
What's the state of fashion in your games?
I like hobo/post-apocalyptic ganger styles for slum areas, dive bars and no-tell motels. Very avant-garde styles for megaCorp parties. Uninspired grey suits for low Corp drones.
And things that would make a whore in Bangkok blush for street walkers and people in the clubs.

Thinking that the players can't wear armor all the time, where ever go. Even their armored clothing might make them stand out if it doesn't match the styles that everyone else is wearing.
>>
>>44523124

Please read Corporate Download before saying Anon was bullshitting.
>>
If I'm running silent, do I get -2 to resisting matrix actions? It would make sense with the fluff of "uses up more CPU so less power to resist", but I'm not sure
>>
>>44524797
No you don't. Running silent imposes a -2 dice on all matrix actions. Resisting a Matrix Action is not a Matrix Action. (Except for going Full Matrix Defense.)
>>
>>44515757
>>44522970
>>44523052
>>44523124
>>44523170
>>44523193
>>44523359
>>44523405
>>44523739

Attached is ONLY corporate download, but in later books and corp specific updates, the following were also clarified:

- Firewatch has vehicular support.
- Red Samurais are fitted with ONLY deltaware, teams are NEVER split, casualities are allowed to be avenged and they'd rather commit suicide than fail at a mission... so they won't give up unless ordered to.

Not attached is MCT's high threat response because, well, it's Gigaxian in a "you're boned, roll new characters" type of thing.
>>
File: firewatch+redsams.jpg (364 KB, 809x907) Image search: [Google]
firewatch+redsams.jpg
364 KB, 809x907
>>44525107

>Derpatus Maximus
>>
How often does edge recover? It looks like it's per day, which works 90% of the time, but there's some extended tests that it doesn't make sense not to use edge on every roll (like if it was [12]Mechanics + Logic [day] or something), or even just rolling negotiations to find stuff on the black market, because you're usually not doing anything else important that day.
>>
>>44525179
>How often does edge recover?
One after a hearty meal and good night of rest, plus whenever your GM deems it appropriate.
>>
>>44525349
Note that characters living in less than decent conditions, as judged by a GM looking at their paid lifestyle, may not get a hearty meal, and / or a good night's rest every time.
>>
>>44525349
Ah, one per rest, not all of them? That makes sense
>>
Can anybody explain to me how the whole Knight Errant/Lone Star situation is looking in Seattle? I'm a newbie in the lore and I'm just asking to see if it's a simple "the police now have different badges but everything else is the same" or whether majorly different.
>>
>>44525553
Knight Errant has the streets while the Star has the prisons. Any Lone Star employees that still wanted to work the streets had to go back to the police academy to be trained to KE specifications so there are veteran cops going back through basic alongside the fresh meat. This has pissed off a lot of ex-Star thugs who find having to do such things insulting. Aside from that the cops seem to be slightly nicer and less racist, but it is mostly the same.
>>
Can we post female troll art here?
>>
>>44525849
Sure!
>>
>>44525849
The uglier the better.
>>
File: image.jpg (653 KB, 1480x2029) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
653 KB, 1480x2029
Still worse than the Ghosts, don't care

/s
>>
What would a security spider do, if they got disconnected, their device bricked or in some other way they "lost" to the hacker (assuming they weren't unconscious/dead from the biofeedback of dumpshock)? How could they shut off the hacker (or attempt to)? Could they reset the host/network (if small)?
>>
>>44526240
I'm not sure if hosts CAN be rebooted in 5e.
It's always been a little vague on how a Host is actually operated. They're like, grown out of resonance or something, somehow, and lack a physical machine or something?

They'd probably just call teams on the ground and alert them. They'd also very likely have another deck handy, because... why wouldn't you?
>>
>>44526240
Once you manage to lock out a security spider you essentially won. Unless there's another spider that can come in right away, there's nothing to be done.
The GM can choose to give them a backup deck, but essentially a spider should be big enough of a deal that it qualifies as the whole encounter for the decker part of the team.
>>
>>44526306
They can, but it's a real last ditch effort, because it fucks with the whole business. There's a bit on it in Data Trails.

In terms of where hosts are physically located, I think it's a network of redundant servers. Like, if the Seattle server gets fried, the ones in Hong Kong, Dubai, and London can pick up the slack. That's how I imagine it anyway.
>>
>>44526240
Messing with the Host's integrity requires deep runs into the Foundation, and weighing the pro's and cons, losing their job is a lot safer than going Down There.
>>
>>44525553
>>44525841
>Aside from that the cops seem to be slightly nicer and less racist, but it is mostly the same.

Well, the difference is a little stronger.

Lone Star ideology is the Texan dream of the lone sheriff bringing the law. They see themselves more like Judge Dredds, where they ARE the embodiment of the law. They take to a neighborhood and are very personable, although racist/prejudiced as fuck. Basically, they're corrupt cops, but still cops.

Knight Errants are a low-intensitiy combat private military unit. They're more of a neutral, draconian police state. They don't discriminate but at the same they don't give the slightest of a fuck about who you are. They'll give the same righteous beating weither you're a civilian human chick or an ork ganger. They're well behaved though, and in the Seattle's street they are doing a (temporary) marketing blitz about being nicer people than the Stars until their contract is cemented. They look like soldiers more than cops.
>>
>>44523124
>magic 12
>initiate six
I know what I want to be when I grow up
>>
>>44526520
But also from DT, don't they say something about them being grown out of a 'sea of resonance' or something? Am I mis-remembering?
There doesn't seem to be any real information on the physical infrastructure of the Matrix
>>
>>44524126
>What's the state of fashion in your games?
Extremely diverse. People in the street won't really notice the trenchcoat unless it's really too hot for a trench.

However, in high class parties, I go with the contrast of having the men dressed like James Bond in Casino Royale and women dressed like a Chanel commercial. Hopefully, the shaman face stole a haute couture catwalk dress as part of a previous mission.

Now tricky question, how to make the downtime activities of a rather young lady from a conservative (and noble) family working as an Ares Europe high-ranking executive interesting for the players ? They owe her a big favour.
>>
>>44526539
>>44526520
>>44526428
>>44526306
Thanks for your answers!

I'm writing my first run and I've written up a host. I'd appreciate any comments on it!
---
Everett Community College Public Host
Host Rating: 5
Host Attributes: A6 S5 D8 F7
IC Programs: Patrol, Probe, Track, Scramble

This is the public host for the staff and students and is located on the local Emerald City Grid. It contains lecture notes, exam results, student social networks, records, staff payslips, etc. All sensitive information, such as student or staff records is protected with rating 2. Visually, the host is pretty basic, mimicking an old-fashioned library, with files and devices represented by old-fashioned items, such as books, vinyl records, typewriters or photographs.

Security Measures
The host has the Patrol IC running at all times, scanning the previous actions of all users, attempting to detect illegal activity. If any hacking attempt is detected (successful Attack action, failed Sleaze action, host convergence or detection of illegal activity by Patrol IC), the host will launch 1 IC per turn in the above order. If any IC is bricked, Host will relaunch it before moving on to the next IC.
All IC perfrom their actions by rolling Host Rating ×2 [Attack] (10 [6]) or Host Rating ×2 [Data Processing] (10 [8]) for Patrol, have 11 boxes of durability and initiative of Data Processing + INT + 4d6 (13+4d6).

Additionally, the off-site contracted security admin (from SECURITY COMPANY; serving as a spider) will be notified of the hacking attempt. They are usually focused on the security host and will take 3 combat rounds to connect (VR Cold Sim; 10+3d6), hoping that the IC resolves the issue. The admin will attempt to gain two marks on the hacker, locate the icon, and transfer that information to a foot patrol on-site. After this is done, they will attempt to brick the target's device. If the hacker is very aggressive, they will just try to brick the device or force the hacker to reboot.
>>
>>44523124
>hyping them beyond what they are.
>prints a sheet with skill ratings essentially identical to the 52 years old Magic12 samurai boss, maxed out stealth and deltaware cyber

Errrr...
>>
>>44526520
Hosts have no physical location. They don't run on servers, not like ours anyways. Wirelessly connected devices are it's servers, working off the combined processing power of your commlink, your jacket, your shoes, your microwave, your neighbour's microwave, etc.

The current theory about their nature is that the Resonance is another form of Magic, one that only surfaces through electronics and wireless signals. With this Resonance they build Hosts, the Grids, and they rebuilt the Matrix itself.

I was not too sure about this metaplot development but it reconciles the unrealistic matrix neatly, in my opinion at least.
>>
>>44526847
So... it's literally the collective 'soul' of every wireless device in the world?
That... is interesting.
>>
>>44526778
Sounds great. And especially in a low grade public college host, you should expect security to be more targeted against punks than professional hackers. Which your system already reflects.
>>
>>44526847
The way it's written in Data Trails, the corps know about just enough to have the current system running without any major blowback potential. The average PC will never be in a position to know academic levels of info about the inner workings of the matrix. All they know is through interaction with the deep web, which is the type of empirical science that throws up an apple and realises it falls back down. With that approach you will never arrive at gravity wells based on mass, or space time relativity.
>>
>>44526873
It doesn't come without it's flaws. 99.99% of the people of the world, the SINless, the SINners, the CEOs, the Spiders, the Runners, the named metaplot characters and their mommies don't know how -any- of it works. The security spider doesn't know how the Host he's guarding works. We don't even know what kind of process creates a Host, who magicks them into existence. We know, and they know, how to change them and how to hack them, how to program them into something useful, but they have absolutely no idea about their inner workings.

That's something I'm less sure about.
>>
>>44527048
DT said there are companies that create hosts though.
It's basically the digital equivalent of being a high-rise steel worker though. It's goddamn dangerous.
>>
In Data Trails there are a couple of Security Spiders listed. There's one on p. 76, who looks quite badass (logic 7, hacking 7, rating 5 deck). There is also a standard security spider on p. 105, which seems quite considerably less badass (logic 4, hacking 5, rating 3 deck). When would you use which ones?
>>
New GM here. Not sure how to assign stats and abilities to enemies. How do I know I won't absolutely smash my players/my players won't absolutely smash the opposition?
>>
>>44527174
Use the better one on a better facility.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. This should be obvious.
>>
>>44527236
Take a copy of your players' sheets, and run a test of the encounter. Adjust as needed until it feels right.
It helps if you know your players well, also.
>>
>>44527218
The only sure way to know is to have their character sheets and do a few test firefights.
>>
>>44527218
Use grunts and contacts unless you are making prime runners. For Prime Runners 3/10 are inferior karma, 1/25 are superhuman karma and about half are equal karma.
>>
>>44527334
Sorry, I meant to say 3/10 are equal karma and about half are inferior karma.
>>
>>44525107
It's been two times that I see MCT's response mentionned, always with a subtext of "lol you're fucked".
What is it? I plan to have my player eventually do a couple runs for MCT and, even if I don't want them to be hunted by them afterwards, it would be nice to have some fluff. Or a way to scare the players
>>
>>44520754
Bioware gills allow the user to breathe freely underwater but you must choose between salt or fresh water. Otherwise you can use an OXSYS cybergill with either an internal air tank filled with helium (as the book suggests) or a toxin extractor as >>44521059 suggests.

Then you want cyberfins and either cyberlegs with waterjets or the hand/foot webbing bioware.
>>
>>44523956
My previous post was just an example, but yeah - mistakes were made.

Long story short, when I was picking skills, I was calculating skill rating by adding the attribute to the points I spent during chargen, leaving me with very important skill ratings WAYYY lower than they should be.

In retrospect, this approach makes no sense, but I was just cobbling things together during my downtime at work, and my GM was too busy to give my character a once-over.

Oh well, I'm learning.

>>44523970
I'd only meant that typically Software would go hand-in-hand with Logic, but there are other actions that use other Attributes. But yeah, I see what you mean, thanks.

>>44523973
Thanks.
>>
From Data Trails, from the hst hacking example
"The door is slaved to the host; since Zoe is in the host, she is considered directly connected to all devices, which means they do not get the benefit of the host’s protection."
Is this for real? It seems to kind of defeat the purpose of slaving things to a hoist
>>
>>44528051
That's why Spiders and IC exist.
Basically, when you're outside of a Host, you're lobbing shit over the castle walls. Not very effective, you feel me?
But if you sneak in, you're now in the castle. You can do a lot of damage, but there are soldiers and shit looking for you and trying to stab you to death--that's your IC, Spider, and any other security deckers they have.
Then there's the Wizard, the ever-looming danger of GOD or demiGODs
>>
>>44527048
>>44527091

remember than in the universe of shadowrun, programmers are basically program wranglers: They don't code, they LITERALLY use almost-AIs to write other super-specialised Almost-AIs to mutate code already there to create a new programs.

It's fucked up. It's worse than the mechanicus.
>>
>>44527631
Well, beside the obvious Zero-Zones...

They have a cell of independant, magical, international agents (black tie suits, mirrorshades, etc.) that operates independantly. They are, I shit you not, around/above initiate level 10.

Luckily...
- They always work alone
- They only takes order directly from the chairman or other top brass.
- There's only a handful of them.

I'm still searching for the specific page references.
>>
>>44528533
But there are examples of characters writing code the old-fashioned way, too...?
>>
>>44528818
Yeah, work 'alone'
But I'm sure that with the deep pockets of the corp helping them, they probably keep a damn huge stable of spirits.
Plus they can probably call on local corp goons easily, or just hire other runners if they need to.

Though, that seems more like a method of retaliation than an actual HTR method. I doubt they'd just incidentally be in the right place, unless that place was an insanely high-value target.
>>
Did Aztechnology being secretly led by a dragon die along with 3e?

(In Survival of the Fittest Hualpa fights against an unknown feathered serpent and there's more than a few allusions in Corporate Download).
>>
>>44528879
>Though, that seems more like a method of retaliation than an actual HTR method.

Basically, although they might act as bodyguards for VIPs and top value items or magical overwatch in specific situations (like at the site of a Magical Phenomenon. MCT does do research into the outer realms after all.)
>>
>>44529256
IIRC Aztechnology was never led by a serpent, but it did have one as an advisor at sone point... Which I believe they captured, killed, dissected, and then did !!Science!! to it for $$Profit$$ once they got blood magic going.
>>
>>44529256
I think there's one on the Board
>>
>>44529761
Having one on overwatch makes more sense, and is really even more dangerous. Imagine trying to cross a large space while a guy like that was standing in an observation tower behind an optical scope!
That would be scary.
>>
>>44527218
Make a first run where you err on the side of underpowered, and see how hardcore your runners murder the mooks. Specifically state that it's a low risk combat encounter. Gangers are perfect for this.
Make the second run highly more difficult, and see how your team fares. Give them the option to retreat if needed. An actual corp sec squad that protects an actual corp facility, give them a mage and a decker.
Then just go from there based on their performance.
>>
Is suppression affected by things like range?
>>
>>44530241
Suppression is a conal effect. Idk what the rules specifically say about it, but the closer you are the more area you can cover (unless you get too close obv.). If you try to suppress someone at sniper rifle range you can only do it to one person, and not an area.

But no, logically suppression is rangeless. If there's bullets flying past your ears it doesn't matter if you can't see the sniper. It's actually more scary really.
>>
Fairly new ST restarting a game soon and I'm wondering how shafted I am deciding to stick with 5e priority character gen system? Am I going to need to basically scrap book my own version of the rules since the new Decker and Rigger books got released?
>>
>>44530374
Data Trails and Rigger 5 modified a few things, but almost everything is just expanded. Priority gen is best for humans. Use Sum2-10 for other metahumans.
>>
>>44530307
>A character can suppress a triangular area projecting from the shooting character outward up to a distance of his choosing, up to the maximum range of the weapon, with a width of 10 meters at its end and a height of 2 meters.
>>
>>44530416
I might suggest my players do that then. One of my players was a little resistant to building in anything but priority. I also have a totally fresh, never rp'd before player coming in and I'm trying to nicely suggest a street Sam over a Decker. Mind you if I can get my head round decking it should still be fun for a first timer
>>
>>44530497
Luckily for your priority player, sum-to-10 can perfectly and legally replicate every possible standard priority selection.
>>
>>44530551
I'll let him wrestle with chummer but give him the option. I'll see what the others feel like too when it comes to builds. I'll be helping the new player build either way so that's not a huge problem.
>>
Is there a character creator for sr4a that supports the priority system? I haven't been able to find one.
>>
I was considering making a guy coming out of retirement but given the way technology changes in Shadowrun I don't even know if a smartlink from the 60s would even work with current guns
>>
Brand new GM. Unsure how soon I'll be starting, but soon. Never GMed Shadowrun, never played Shadowrun, only experience is 3 sessions of 3.5e that got derailed by That Guy.

Fairly familiar with the rules for SR5E, though. I've got (4E) Food Fight lined up for a first session out of tradition, but... where the hell am I supposed to take it from there? For that matter, why would four random people be at a Stuffer Shack and just HAPPEN to become a runner team?
>>
>>44533478
The way I've ended food fight before is given the players several choices for who they take the girl back to.
- Her corporate father is an 'asset specialist' who's basically a Mr. Johnson.
- Her bad-boy boyfriend who's decently high up in one of the local gangs, and is cunning enough to recognise great talent and a way to use it.
- A mentor of hers, who happens to be a TerraFirst! activist.

Etc. etc. This gives the players a choice about their initial Mr. Johnsons and how they interact with the world. From there, you either build up a campaign, give the players free rein to decide what they want to do, or be really lazy and just use the Missions adventures.
>>
>>44533187
Sail Away Sweet Sister has a Predator III priced at 600¥. Anything else you buy as a throwback could be pre-wireless. Add an internal router, smartlink, and cybersafety to replicate the 60s style.
>>
>>44522428

You do realize a corporate sin means "I am a fucking corporate cocksucker at one point and is helping one of them take over the world and force us all in slavery."
>>
>>44534345
>>44533187
As per some of the sourcebooks...

Old electronics needs a translator software on your commlink. (It's an app. Costs the same as a standard cyberprogram [80 nuyens]). Pre-wireless era needs a fiberoptic cable.
>>
File: SRUN never deal with a dragon.jpg (671 KB, 935x3348) Image search: [Google]
SRUN never deal with a dragon.jpg
671 KB, 935x3348
>>44534350
>>44522428
>https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/2ag0ao/sinner_question_corporate_born_sin/civjwd5
>>
>>44535045
That's good for linking old tech to new, but you shouldn't need it if all your gear is old. Cables run for 5¥/metre. (p232, Direct Connections)
>>
>>44535177
You could hide it though right? With a Fake Sin? I think maybe our group is just really off the mark with how negative some of these things are. Thanks for the thread btw.
>>
>>44534350
But Ares is working to make America and the world a better place for everyone. Didn't you learn that in school?
>>
>>44535799

Old Gear just can't run on the current Matrix 2.0 at all, so there's no way around the translator unless you're going for the Throwback pre-wireless tech.
>>
So we're doing a simple demo game with our GM at the moment, and so far our hobo techno is getting his ass kicked by a rat. Houses are important, kids.
>>
>>44536902
Which is what 2060s / Predator III / 3rd edition era gear is.
>>
>>44537350
Situation resolved, the rigger sent a drone with an Alpha to kill the rat, and the adept shot it. In Renton. Techno is alive but scuffed. And a passing kid got it filmed on their comlink.

This is a great start to our running careers.
>>
>>44537350
Devil rats are nasty, yo. It's one of the reason megas don't have to deal with the SINless that much. Nature does it for them.

>>44537359
If you don't want any of the wireless bonuses or functionalities, yeah, you don't need anything more than just throwback tech.
>>
>>44537738
>>44537359

Reminder that you'll still need a modern commlink to broadcast your SIN, at the very least.
>>
Okay, okay, so obviously an Insect Mage is going to be right out, because Insect Spirits are bad for reason we will not elaborate on.

What about a Shaman of Anansi? Because, the Keeper of Stories and bringer of Wisdom seems like he'd be a pretty bro-tier Spirit Mentor, spider or not.
>>
>>44535177
Bleh. Dragonfaggotry, more than anything, this drove me away from Shadowrun. Grudge NPCs the DM can just shove any old where when he feels like punishing a player.
>>
So I'm hosting a campaign for sr5.
I'm first time DM.
Most of my players are new to roleplaying entirely.
One of my players said he wanted to be John Stalvern. (The guy from Doom)
Why? Because killing demons apparently. I don't even know if demons are common, are they? Kind of lost here.
Can I help him make this work somehow?
>>
File: 1449684285745.png (535 KB, 1024x1368) Image search: [Google]
1449684285745.png
535 KB, 1024x1368
I'm a bit new to Shadowrun, and I'm not sure if it's cool to talk about the vidya here, so I'll try to be brief.

I want to make a physical adept in Shadowrun Hong Kong. I've gotten conflicting advice about unarmed/melee ranks mattering to a phys adept, because of how the game works, and how damage/percentage stuff is calculated, and that I only really need to put my karma into strength and close combat, because my Qi abilities will be what matters.

I'm not sure if that's a thing, so I've come here to ask if that's true, or if it's bullshit, because I feel like having ranks in unarmed/melee would be pretty much a given if you're using either.

Also, any general tips would be fantastic.
>>
>>44540143
Mage/Shaman following the Christian Faith, specializes in 'killing' spirits. (Or rather send them home, but yeah.)

Closest he'll get to a demon hunter.
>>
>>44540258
Thank you so much! I'll work on this!
>>
>>44540258
>>44540143
>>44540273
How is a Christian Theurge remotely related to fucking Doom Guy?

An adept? Ok maybe. A mage? The fuck you smoking?

Doom Guy shoots rockets at demons because puny guns are too weak. Really, the guy is just your run of the mill Street Sam or Gun Adept who'se high on BTL and hallucinate every baddies that the team decker tags as fucked up spawns from hell so he can murder them with no remorse.

Or just a wilderness poacher. Same diff. Woods be scary shit yo.
>>
How do I separate a public part of a host to the not-so-public-but-not-security part? E.g. the town hall will have a section for visitors and tourists and a section for employees with all the paperwork. They want to let people into the public part easy, but only into the employee partif they're employees. Does that mean it should have two hosts? Or can it just have a public "website" without it being a host?
>>
>>44540493
You separate both. Two hosts, one open to the public, one restricted/closed; both on the same "private" grid.
>>
>>44540411
Oh that's also a good approach.
I was thinking of suggesting a father gregorio type deal.
But drug induced delusions is also very good.
>>
>>44538115
You do realize that story is about staying professional when dealing with S-K (as in doing the job and not trying to pass one over) and not about GM dickstroking right?

Great Dragons might be the deities of SR alongside the megas, but normal dragons and dracoforms serves the same purpose as any other RPG - Getting killed by players.

There are many modules about killing normie dragons, and even a couple about them playing with shit even they don't understand and needing to be put down.
>>
>>44524126

I have a lot of retro Prohibition era gangster vibe in the campaign I'm running now, and that definitely carries over into the fashion. Cyberflappers with sparkling nanolipstick, zoot suits with LEDs all over, etc.
>>
File: NothingWrong.jpg (181 KB, 498x483) Image search: [Google]
NothingWrong.jpg
181 KB, 498x483
>>44540816
>There are many modules about killing normie dragons, and even a couple about them playing with shit even they don't understand and needing to be put down.
Got any good ones to recommend, by the way? Always interested in run ideas.
>>
1) Cavalier Scout - semiautomatic hold-out pistol
2) Walther Palm Pistol - double barreled hold-out
3) Derringer - double barreled hold-out
4) Reacor Sting - "lemon-squeezer" type hold-out
5/6) Glock 38C/Contura Series - "fashionable" light pistols
7) Ares Light Fire 70 - super-light semi-auto
8) Beretta 101-T - light semi-auto
9) Colt Manhunter - heavy semi-auto pistol w/ laser sight
10) Savalette Guardian - heavy select-fire pistol
11) Ares Predator - heavy semi-auto pistol
12) Ares Predator II - heavy semi-auto pistol w/ smartlink
13) Ruger Super Warhawk - heavy single action revolver
14) Ceska Black Scorpion - machine pistol
15) Ares Crusader - machine pistol
16) Ingram Smartgun - smartlinked SMG
17) HK 225 TX - compact SMG w/ laser sight
18) Winchester Widow Maker - sawn-off shotgun
19) Remington Roomsweeper - compact autoloading shotgun pistol
20) Savalette Penetrator - large-caliber armor-piercing weapon for close range combat
21) HK 227-S - silenced SMG w/ laser sight
22) HK 227 - recoil-compensated SMG w/ laser sight
>>
Hey /srg/, got a question
I'm about to build my first adept in 5e. It seems mostly straightforward, but I'm aiming to have the character slanted toward investigation.
I've already got Eidetic and 3d memory powers, and... I can't think of any others that would be useful. The list seems pretty heavy on the combat and stealth.
I guess using power points to boost my Perception is a good option, but are there any other essential investigative skills or powers I'm overlooking? I've got like 1.5 power points burning a hole in my pocket here.
>>
>>44541800
Mechanically speaking, you always want some form of initiative booster. If all else fails, throw it at the stuff that lets you shoot the other guys more.

That said, the Analytics power is decent. Each level is +1 die for "I search for clues" tests.
>>
>>44541872
Oh, analytics. That should have been obvious

The group I'm joining has a weird initiative house rule so that 'Deckers and street Sams don't get shat on by adepts and mages'

It really just saved me a ton of PP, so I can afford to be triple specialized.

It's not a house rule I like, but I've been trying to find a Shadowrun group for years and they always die after a single session, so I'll take what I can get.
>>
>>44541923
lolwut?
This I have to hear.
>>
Ok so call me insane, but reading trough the book I can't way a good way to check out what my Limits are. Can anyone help?
>>
>>44541974
Your limits are derived from your attributes. Augmenting or taking penalties to those attributes affects the limits unless said otherwise. Also, sometimes the limit is your weapon's or device's attribute, not your own.

Mental: ((Log)x2+Int+Wil)/3
Physical: ((Str)x2+Bod+Rea)/3
Social: ((Cha)x2+Wil+Ess)/3

I think it's described somewhere towards the end of chargen.
>>
>>44541923
Have you concidered some of the stuff like Pitch Perfect, Light Body, etc. Basically one would whink if you are going to be an investigator, you are going to be needing some skills that are more "practical" than just being great at the deduction parts.

That initaitive rule is complete drek. it isn't like a Sam doesn't get Wired Reflexes or some other Initiative booster anyway. They need it more than Limbs IMO. Not to mention the PP drain on the Adept version of Reflexes is kinda severe (basically over half your PP on chargen is still a lot, despite the fantastic effect).
>>
>>44542030
Much obliged. I kept looking over the book and just not noticing it.
>>
>>44542053
Core Rulebook pg. 101 table in the lower half, for further reference.
>>
How do I role play Guardian spirits?
>>
>>44542070
Yeesh what a place to put it. I really expected it to be related to stats or skills.
>>
>>44542040
>>44541969
I know it's dumb, but it's not like I can find a game on /tg/ or anything. Tried like three dozen times over the past 3 or 4 years and I have never seen session 2 of a Shadowrun game because people are flaky as fuck.

I'll take what I can get.
Anything to not be ForeverGM'd
>>
>>44542040
Oh also, I already have mêlée combat and parkour skills out the ass.
I've got a solid 42 foot long jump and I'm tossing 22 dice in mêlée combat.
I'm only doing investigation at all because I have little else to get now.
>>
>>44542211
What's the rule, though? Thou Shalt Not Have Initiative Bonuses?
>>
>>44542241
It's based on GM fiat. The whole team has the same initiative die size and it gets bigger as you "gain more experience as a 'Runner."

It's dumb and takes away a lot of fun options but, again--it's this game or no game as far as I can tell.

Unless this one ends abruptly after I play a single session as well, which would not surprise me.
>>
File: participation-award.png (41 KB, 204x298) Image search: [Google]
participation-award.png
41 KB, 204x298
>>44542345
That's fucking retarded. Well, good luck!
>>
File: Archer Prayer.jpg (76 KB, 565x625) Image search: [Google]
Archer Prayer.jpg
76 KB, 565x625
>>44542383
At this point, I'd settle for a quick death without complaint.
I'm tired of being ForeverGM'd
>>
>>44537783
Spider is a legit mentor spirit, unrelated to Insect Spirits.
>>
Should I send a blood spirit after my runners at my runners at the end of the next sets of runs?

Y/Y
>>
>>44543229
Aztechnology pls. go!
>>
>>44542601
>>44537783
Just make sure to ask your Mentor Spirit to not materialize in public or in front of not close friends.
>>
I'm going to be running a 5e game for the first time in my life with other newbies. We're going to be using sum to ten generation, cause I read it's better for non-humans. I'm looking for other advice on generation. What priorities are a must for who (does a decker HAVE to have A resources? What about their skills/attributes, which one is more important? And other archetypes? Does a mage have to go magic A or else be gimped?)? How do I make a good technomancer (heard they're a very hard to get working in 5e)? What augmentations are a must (I found a list of necessary items for every runner so looking for non-generic equipment)? Any advice is welcome. Also, just core book please, don't want to start with more than that
>>
>>44543329
I'd love that moment.
"The Gangers move in, pipes and chains at the ready... and then your friend Spider steps up behind you, knitting a sweater and wearing a bonnet.

HEY BUDDY I MADE YOU A SWEATER
OH MAN LOOK AT THESE FINE YOUNG FELLOWS HEY
WOULD YOU GUYS LIKE SWEATERS TOO? I ALSO BAKED COOKIES.

The Gangers wet themselves, flee, and call the police."
>>
File: Jeff_TS.png (145 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Jeff_TS.png
145 KB, 500x375
>>44541128
While these are miles ahead of 5e art for guns, I still don't like a lot of them. I've been collecting pictures of actual guns and just naming them their SR equivalent.

>>44543378
>>
>>44543263
I'm going to enjoy this
>>
>>44543375
>What about their skills/attributes, which one is more important?
As a rule of thumb, attributes > skills

>Does a mage have to go magic A or else be gimped?
No. Especially since you can boost magic with Metatype bonus points.

>does a decker HAVE to have A resources? And other archetypes?
It all depends on what exactly you want to play. You can perfectly play a drug-guzzling street sam with C resources and only light 'ware and be efficient.

>How do I make a good technomancer
By forgetting they even exist until you have played a bit and everyone has some experience with the system.
>>
>>44543791
>By forgetting they even exist until you have played a bit and everyone has some experience with the system.
Any other archetypes that should be avoided like that?
>>
>>44544478
Rigger and Decker I've found to be the hardest archetypes for me to learn.
>>
File: Seattle_Map.jpg (61 KB, 404x851) Image search: [Google]
Seattle_Map.jpg
61 KB, 404x851
Not that familiar with Shadowrun's Seattle (or real life Seattle, for that matter), where are the lower-middle class areas here?
>>
>>44544665
Barrens, obviously. Tacoma is getting there (or is there). Puyallup for sure. Can't remember the others off the top of my head.
>>
Question: Is it possible to (willingly or not) lose a Mentor Spirit?
>>
>>44544838
If you act against the way your mentor spirit wants, it can strip you of some (or all) of your magical ability until you make amends. Depends on the mentor spirit and how involved your GM is about them.
>>
Yesterday I posted a public host I created. Today I'm posting a security host. I'm a newbie GM, so I'm looking to get any feedback! Thanks

---

Everett Community College Security Host
Host Rating: 5
Host Attributes: A7 S5 D6 F8
IC Programs: Patrol, Probe, Track, Jammer, Acid

This is the silent-running (needs to be found with Matrix Perception) security host for Everett Community College; it is the master to all security devices, such as cameras, locks, scanners and detectors, and security staff biomonitors. Similarly to the public host, this one runs on the local Emerald City grid as well.

Visually the host is very bare and functional. The space is modelled into black rooms with dim blue lighting. The devices are simple cubes with a small holographic display above them showing what the device is; the IC is glowing blue orbs and its attacks are usually represented as lightning bolts. All personae (of whom there usually is only the spider) are represented as blue glowing humanoids with no features.

Cont'd in next post...
>>
>>44545027
Cont'd

Security Measures
The host has Patrol IC running at all times, scanning devices and users for illegal activity (on average, the scan happens every 1d6+2 combat turns). Additionally, a junior security spider (from Cadmus Security) is also present in the host. If either of them notice any signs of trouble, the alarm is triggered and the host starts deploying IC at the rate of 1/turn. If any IC is bricked, the host will continue down the line, and only once the Acid IC has been deployed, will reboot any bricked IC.
All deployed IC (with the exception of Patrol IC) perform their actions with Host Rating x2 [Attack] (10 [7]), have 11 boxes on the condition monitor and an initiative of Data Processing + INT + 4d6 (11 + 4d6)

Once the alarm is triggered, a standard security spider will log in within 1d6 combat rounds. They, along with the junior spider, will attempt to boot the intruder out of the system, mainly by trying to reboot their device. If that is not working and the hacker is causing damage within the host, they will resort to using data spikes to damage the hacker's device. If a successful Trace is placed on the target, the information will be relayed to Cadmus campus security. If the hacker is located away from the Everett College, but within the Seattle area, Cadmus will send a patrol car with 2-4 (depending on the neighbourhood where the hacker was located) campus security officers to intercept the hacker; they usually arrive within 1d6+7 minutes.

Additionally, the Patrol IC will look for any personae running silent. If any persona is detected within the host (running silent or not), the security spider is notified. They will usually confront the person, demanding either they present credentials or exit the host immediately. If the persona doesn't do either, or responds with hostility, the alarm is triggered and normal procedures for hacking take effect.
>>
>>44544930
Can you change mentor spirits?
>>
>>44536219

The point is get caught with a national sin and you just spotted as a foreigner. Get caught with a criminal sin and you just criminal scum who was gonna get caught. Getting caught with a corp sin is a death sentence in a business where you are running against corps.
>>
>>44545041
Yeah. Mechanically, you lose your current mentor spirit positive quality and have to buy it again for the new mentor.

Flavor wise this could be because of a shift of your personality and world view. Or you told your old mentor spirit to fuck right off and another mentor thought that was bold and a good thing.
>>
>>44545041
No without a lot of baggage and ridiculous bullshit. Why don't you also start practicing blood magic as well.
>>
Is there a plain text version of 5e?
>>
Resisting matrix damage is Rating + Firewall. Can I use my own attributes in place of any of these, like I would with defending against matrix attacks?
>>
>>44545414
You make 2 resistance test to resist matrix damage. One which is to defend against the attack by whittling down the net hits and uses one of your attributes, the second one is the Rating + Firewall test to resist the actual damage. You can add your Willpower to the defense roll with a full matrix defense action but it won't affect your damage resistance roll.
>>
>>44545414
Nope. Your attributes come into play when trying to avoid the action dealing damage. but if it hits, it's down to your hardware to resist it, chummer.
>>
>>44545414
The only time you can use an attribute to resist damage in the matrix is when you are resisting biofeedback damage (Using Willpower + Firewall).
>>
I just made a Giant with Poor Self Control (Combat Monster) and Berserker as some of his qualities.
To make matters worse/better he also has an Adrenaline Pump that activates automatically when berserking.
To make matters EVEN WORSE/BETTER he also has an autoinjector filled with Kamikaze.
This coupled with dermal plating, ceramic bone lacing and muscle replacements allow him to deal about 10P damage with his fists alone once he gets going.

Any comments on how I can make an even more fucked up character? The concept is of something that goes from 0 to FUCKEVERYTHINGWITHACOMBATAXE at the slightest touch with literally nothing inbetween.

I'm using 4E and no, this character is not going to be a player character so no worries there.
>>
>>44545893
Have you tried the Revels in Murder and Superhuman Psychosis Qualities?
>>
>>44546025
Those are qualities from 5E and its supplements so no, but I suppose they could be retrofitted to some degree.

Revels In Murder would be neat for a character like that.
>>
Can a device be connected to a host without being slaved to it?

E.g. a repo man has a biomonitor and the repo-host wants to monitor it just in case. However, they don't want to slave the monitor to the host, in case someone gets their hands on it and uses it to access the host easily. Does this work?
>>
>>44546829
Yes. The biomonitor shuld just remain on wireless "on" for that to happen.
>>
>>44546829
Yup. The bio-monitor's icon would still be inside the Grid of the Host though.
>>
We're planning on playing a team of Tir Tairngire field agents. Tacticool elf shit with MAGIC.

But will it work out /srg/? We never really tried playing non-shadowrunners. I guess it will be fun to be the guys who are responsible for runs going south for a change, but I wonder if it has potential for more than a few sessions. I guess it should go similarly to Lone Star or DocWagon games. How are those?
>>
>>44547289
I played a great game as Corp SpecOps awhile ago, it lasted about 5 months.
>>
>>44544665
Renton is the lower middle class area. Its the "bedroom town".

>>44544691
Those are homeless-tier poor districts. Tacoma is industrial-era low lifestyle but mostly just factories and docks.
>>
File: ss (2016-01-03 at 04.45.56).png (18 KB, 316x75) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-01-03 at 04.45.56).png
18 KB, 316x75
Can someone explain to me what this actually does?

Does this increase the limit when you're using a skill?
Does it increase the maximum level of the skill?
Both somehow? Neither?

I'm leaning toward the former one, but It's rather vague.
>>
>>44545893
Used/Omegaware Titanium lacing.
Muscle Replacement [1]
Narco geneware.

You increase your damage by 4, dicepool by 2 and damage resist by 4.
>>
>>44548181
The limit of all tests using that skill.
>>
>>44548195
Oops sorry only read SR4 afterward. Not familiar enough with that edition.
>>
>>44548240
That's ok.
I decided to give him a bunch of money and then use that money for a shitload of high-quality licenses for everything that he owns.
>>
>>44545170
I was actually thinking about it because rats aren't native to the Americas, and it doesn't fit with the Aztec religion where dying violently is the only way to paradise
>>
>>44548181
When using the non-combat skill you designate, your Limit is increased by one. Nominate Swimming, your Physical Limit is increased by one when you're using that skill. Honestly it's not a very good quality, but it's dirt cheap.
>>44548622
Thing is, a Mentor wouldn't really start mentoring you if you didn't embody the virtues or tendencies that it prefers.
>>
>>44548181
Where's that even from?
>>
>>44548689
You can make some neat combos with that though.
Like high gymnastics with acrobatic defender and then slapping that quality on top.
>>
>>44549160
Hard Targets.
Recent book. It has some pretty hilarious and fun weapons.
I'm making a character right now that uses the Collapsible Scythe as a primary weapon.
>>
File: md2003_094b.jpg (23 KB, 320x462) Image search: [Google]
md2003_094b.jpg
23 KB, 320x462
I'm working on a wild-west-themed streetsam.
What are some fun things that would play into the cowboy concept?

Also what are good ways to improve pistols?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.