[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the "elves don't wear shoes" thing come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: 3D-Night_Elf.jpg (242 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
3D-Night_Elf.jpg
242 KB, 768x1024
Where did the "elves don't wear shoes" thing come from? It's certainly not from Tolkien or mythology.
>>
>>44500684
Wasn't Legolas barefoot? I remember something like that.
>>
>>44500684
It looks good.
>>
I remember no such thing from anywhere that matters.

Night elves are special since they were conceived as amazon elf barbarians.
>>
>>44500691

Nope.
>>
It's mostly just in vidya, though.

D&D elves still dress properly.
>>
WoW is really the worst thing to happen to fantasy aesthetics in quite some time. Any of its influence is like poison in a well.
>>
>>44500945

WoW is nothing but introducing anime fantasy aesthetics to the west.

Now we have anime style art everywhere.

Fucking weebs.
>>
>>44500966
You're an idiot if you think WoW has "anime" aesthetics.

You're just looking at bad aesthetics, and associating them with something you blindly hate because you're a moron.

Want to see "anime" aethetics? You look at FF11.
>>
>>44500966
WoW is the worst anime aesthetics brought over even if it were true. I have never seen such shitty design in fantasy anime.

It's more likely technology limitations drove the design:
>>
File: nbf.jpg (33 KB, 316x676) Image search: [Google]
nbf.jpg
33 KB, 316x676
>>44500770

They drow now.

Also you know the nightborne are evil from that ear armor.
>>
File: smug.jpg (23 KB, 509x389) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
23 KB, 509x389
>>44500966
>WoW
>anime fantasy aesthetics
>>
>>44501027

Black elves?
>>
>>44500691

In the book it's stated that he wears light shoes.

I think it comes from a combination of hippie shit and foot fetishism.
>>
>>44501027
>>44500756
>>44500684

Footfags are the worst. THE WORST.
>>
>>44500684

It's some kind of hippie bullshit. Also a lot of TTRPG art has started to draw druids and monks going barefoot too lately. I hate it when vidya influences proper art that way.
>>
>>44501189
>"proper art"
Ow, my sides.
>>
>>44501005
You just confirmed his point.
>>
>>44501090

>dark skin
>live in the jungle
>don't wear much

I'd say so mr. Holmes.
>>
>>44501027

Why not add some shoes to that? It looks like your average skimpy fantasy outfit other than the fact she's barefoot, which instantly tips you off the designer is a footfag.
>>
>>44501245
You're the same idiot.
>>
>>44501273

They're an evil NPC race living in a tropical paradise, all of them are barefoot regardless of sex and armor.

Playable elves aren't unless you choose to not wear shoes.
>>
>>44501273
It worries me that you are only capable of seeing things in terms of fetishes instead of the overall design.
>>
nature and grace and shit
>>
>>44501303
>Playable elves aren't unless you choose to not wear shoes.

Especially since transmogging is a thing. Trolls and Worgen have no such choice though.
>>
Clearly it's the result of people with foot fetishes. Nerdy people with foot fetishes.
>>
>>44500684
My guess is it's comes from the "connected to nature" part of the concept.

I think there a bunch of people walking around barefoot because wearing the wrong shoes all the time is bad for your feet or something. So it's no big stretch having elves run around feeling the wet grass beneath their feet or whatever.
>>
>>44501344

Pretty much this
>>
The people who do this don't know what the feet of people who go barefoot in the jungle all the time look like

Hint: they're gross as fuck
>>
>>44501489
well you can easily solve that issue by being a magical fucking elf who always looks fantastic
>>
>>44500684
Because i want to lick their feet? Just kidding that's nasty
>>
>>44501347
About the only reply in this thread worth the space it takes in 4chan's hard drive.

Truly, the magical realm and anti-magical realm idiots are much like /pol/ and SJWs: moronic and polarized.
>>
It's symbolism for nature and shit. It's something that maybe those who practice nature magic, like druids, rangers, even totem barbarians, or oath of the ancients paladins would do on occasion or ceremony, but not permanently. No, instead they would wear highly fashionable and aesthetic boots or shoes,with leather and furs, or maybe even a bit of heel, to highly designed sandals not unlike the heels of today.
>>
File: feet[1].jpg (375 KB, 2220x1480) Image search: [Google]
feet[1].jpg
375 KB, 2220x1480
>>44501489

Not really. Internet is full of those images.

This looks more extreme but not shocking given the guy had practise, and is a result of running 3000 miles on the average speed of 20 miles a day which is far above the average for any primitive cultures.
>>
>all anthropomorphic races and characters are the result of a grand furry conspiracy, with artists pandering to a niche internet fetish demographic since at least the times of Anciet Egypt
>elves and druids being depicted as barefoot is not a part of a simple and effective "one with the nature like them indians" aesthetic, but the result of fantasy artists being degenerate footfags shoehorning their fetish into everything
I love it when 4chan projects so hard you can see powerpoint and fails to see the fact they are themselves seeing the world through a f-list preference list
>>
File: Tristana_Render_VU.png (3 MB, 2500x2182) Image search: [Google]
Tristana_Render_VU.png
3 MB, 2500x2182
>>44500684

Nothing wrong with it if it fits the character. People who scream magical realm at anything are retards.
>>
>>44503335
Toeless foot gloves weird me out.
>>
>>44503598

For any particular reason?
>>
>>44500684
Most Elves in Almost every single story LOVE nature and not wearing shoes brings you closer to nature.... seems like a normal thing for nature fags to not wear shows. plus there elven scum and shouldn't wear shoes
>>
>>44501130
Footfags with taste don't like barefoot girls walking around on the dirty ground.
It makes their feet all calloused and shit
>>
>>44503751

Not to mention infected, parasite-ridden and generally fucking nasty.
>>
>>44504018
Yeah that's why our ancestors feet rotted off before puberty for tens of thousands of years/=
>>
>>44500684

From my dick
>>
>>44500684
Hippy thing would be my guess
>>
>>44500684

Bare feet are gross, anon.
>>
>>44509270
Depends on the context. Indoors or on grass are fine; anything harder or rougher and you'll be screaming for a decent pair of boots unless your feet are sufficiently callused.
>>
>>44500770
>Night elves are special since they were conceived as amazon elf barbarians.

They wore giant-ass boots in WC3 though.

Just like every other model in WC3, actually.
>>
>>44500684
Elves ended up being confused with hippies, since they both hang around trees and like nature.
>>
File: Dorf.jpg (211 KB, 759x951) Image search: [Google]
Dorf.jpg
211 KB, 759x951
>>44500684
They're so behind in their technology that they haven't even invented shoes yet.
>>
>>44504064
Shoes aren't difficult to make anon. Fucking Otzi the iceman had shoes on his feet when he died.
>>
>>44500684
It's a pre-Tolkien thing that elves are spirits of the forest/wilds who have no needs for the trappings of "modern" society.
Here's a painting from 1850 showing elves dancing in a meadow barefoot.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.