[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Because we've been having better vidya threads than /v/ recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 3JmjYsO.jpg (132 KB, 1657x931) Image search: [Google]
3JmjYsO.jpg
132 KB, 1657x931
Heckling aside, I do have a legitimate question. How would you implement Binding of Isaac style "Deals with the Devil" in your tabletops, /tg/? I suppose the system doesn't matter, but an upcoming Pathfinder campaign I plan on running is going to have a heavy infernal influence to it, and I want to tempt my players with deals from devils and maybe even Asmodeus himself. Infernal powers, shit like that.

Also Binding of Isaac thread I guess.
>>
at first, make it seem like it's really benign and an outright good deal. also, don't go full on with the devil stuff right away

for example, they encounter a hedgewitch on the outskirts of a village where they might buy simple adveenturing shit
"hey, if you are willing to spit into this bottle for me i'll give you ____ that seems really useful"
and then have dopplegangers show up of that person, after a few sessions, so that they don't immediately connect it.

then just keep ramping it up, just always make sure that the cost is always slightly higher than the gain, even if it never appears like it at first
>>
>>44499303
If you're going to do it BoI style, have it so you can get very powerful items/skills/stat increases however they all cause problems for the player down the road. Less maximum health, causes strong monsters to be attracted to the wielder, a irrefutable favour, an incurable frenzy ala Bloodborne, rejection from all other Gods, an unending hunger, the inability to use other weapons, fatigue unending, an Achilles heel that reduces him to dust; and of-course eternal damnation upon death.

Could be anything but you have to make the deal sound tempting on first glance. No-ones going to make a deal that doesn't benefit them.
>>
>>44499354
>>44499404

I was toying around with the idea of magic items and cursed items also that technically give you the intended affect. One idea in particular that has me grinning like a madman is a belt of dexterity. True to it's form, it gives you +4 Dexterity.

But it also turns you into an Imp. A Tiny Creature, with all the powers it entails only you have no idea how to use them, along with the extra limbs, it's not like you know how to fly just because you have wings. Damnation to hell included for free.

Any other ideas you can think of and share /tg/.
>>
First order of business, get them hooked. Put them into a bad situation where it's very tempting (but not forced, never forced) to make a deal. The deal is for something that's part of you. Something somewhat important, but not actually crippling. Maybe the devil wants your name (nobody knows it any more, you need to get rechristened or somesuch) or some memories, or shit like that. Stuff that won't matter much and gets them out of the trouble.

When it goes pretty well for them, you've got your hooks in. Allow the players to think that it's a viable thing to do, long-term. Make them consider dealing with a devil part of their repertoire of tricks. A name there, memories here, this and that, small things. Start adding minor stat loss and stuff like that to the things asked for services rendered.

Slowly take parts of them. Slowly, until they realize how far less they are than they've been before. You need to make it seem like a fair deal at first. The devil doesn't care if it takes time, or if they're getting something they consider better than parts of themselves. The devil simply enjoys the fact that slowly, insidiously, they're handing pieces of themselves over.
>>
>>44499577
Going to make items general and usable in most systems.

>The Thirsting Blade
The wielder is restored to full health after each kill, however loses one max health (Can't go below 1) after each kill. The blade also deals D3 damage when sheathed.

>The Berserker Rage
Upon signing the Demon's contract, the bearer gains +6 strength, constitution and dexterity. On the 6th day and every day after, they lose a point of Charisma, Intellect or Wisdom every day (their choice, can't go below 1).

>Ancient Sight
Reveals all things hidden. Ghosts, Spirits, Assassins, Traps, Eldritch beings from time and space that have manipulated entire organizations and governments to their whims with plans to unfurl; and a few new monsters that want to claim your sight for themselves.

>The Gem-tipped Trident
The trident absorbs magic used on the wielder to be released at-will. The trident can absorb three spell at a time, however if there isn't at least 1 spell in there at any given time, the contract-signer is removed from this plane of existence. Permanently. Comes with 3 spells that the contract signer already knows.
>>
>>44499901
These are dark. I like 'em.
>>
>>44499901
>not giving the empty trident instead
What the fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>44501237
Got to give at least 1 spell. Otherwise kills user on equip, not something a DM should do really ever.
>>
>>44502108
Agreed, I like subtly dicking over my players. Devils play the long game, after all, time means little to them, and smart mortals won't fall for easy tricks.

Of course this implies my players are smart.
>>
bump

Is no one on /tg/ big into BoI? I thought for sure this thread would get a little lively.
>>
hey /tg/, /g/ here. I have a question that doesn't deserve it's own thread:

I used to play d&d and such before I really had access to video games. I stopped, like most people did, when video games were an option for me--the tabletop game experience is nice but I just couldn't justify doing my own calculations and dice rolling when a machine could do it for me.

However, I've never found a video game that had quite the charm and sense of endless possibility and personal choice as D&D did. I would like to find one, and if it does not exist, I'd like to begin work on creating one.

The closest game I've found so far is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. I like the variety of items and monsters you can find, but it gets a little repetitive and you don't have the same amount of choice and personality that you get in traditional games.

So, two questions:

>What existing video game is the best replacement for tabletop games like D&D?

>How should I go about creating a D&D like video game? What mistakes should I avoid? How do I capture the sense of exploration and endless possibility that D&D provides?
>>
>>44505866
Bruh. Stone Soup is a fucking classic. Good choice.

As far as other games that catch that "feel" of D&D. I can't really say for sure outside of my limited triple-A games knowledge. Shit like Dragon Age I guess, but not really. Neverwinter Nights allowed you create your own custom maps and campaigns and shit, but I found it relatively limited in its scope after a while. Lot's of good High School memories with that game though.
>>
>>44499303
Damnation feats are a thing. They're literal deals with the devil.

Also the Spellcasting Contract spell, which is only available to Asmodean Clerics, allows the formation of a specific agreement to be made in exchange for spell-like abilities.
>>
>>44499303
> I suppose the system doesn't matter,
It fucking does matter, because you are asking for specific implementation.
>upcoming Pathfinder
- Lose HD for HP and Con Bonus proposes
- Keep your effectively "level" when determining class abilities, BAB, and such.
- True casters lose a spell slot, depending on power of gift.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.