[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ Board Game General:Now without a shitty OP image edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: BGG1.jpg (1 MB, 4068x2848) Image search: [Google]
BGG1.jpg
1 MB, 4068x2848
Pick your poison

>What are you playing these days?
>What are you looking forward to in 2016?
>Current kickstarters you're backing/waiting on?
>Any special bgg related plans for the new year (cons, parties, etc.)
>Which games in your collection probably won't see any play this year?
>Ever put in special effort to make your favorite game box snazzier? How so?
>>
being completely new to the whole board game scene, I kept hearing the term "ameritrash" when describing a game. I always thought it meant it was a board game made in the US thats pretty shitty. Thats what it sounds like it implies but its nothing like that at all.

seems like a shit way to describe a game
>>
>>44497253
Pretty apt to me. It's a game you may well throw in the trash because of how bad it is and it originated from (and is widely promoted by) America, the land of the stupid.
>>
Could anyone with Mountains of Madness post a picture of the Giant Penguin monster token? I need it for reasons.
>>
>>44497466
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1370505946562.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1370505946562.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>Pandemic Legacy now ranked #1 on BGG
>>
>>44500357
Given how bgg is all about the cult of the new, I'm surprised some kickstarter game no one will be playing in a year didn't unseat twilight struggle earlier.
>>
>>44500466
Here's to Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization hopefully taking over #1 at some point
>>
Managed to get some Gemblo played with my parents before 2015 ended
Buying the stuff on my wishist for a reasonable price
Gregory Carslaw's stuff (Wizard's Academy, Enter The Nightmare)
Nothing for New Year's per se, but UK Games Expo is an important part of my calendar
All of them
>Ever put in special effort to make your favorite game box snazzier?
Nope!
>>44497253
Yeah, it's just snobby eurogamers being elitist; most eurogamers are actually pretty nice, but you always get somebody who looks down on somebody else for having fun the wrong way.
>>
>>44496646
>>What are you playing these days?
Twilight imperium in a couple hours, just waiting on wife to get out of the shower so I can foist the pupae on her and get the galaxy built.
>>What are you looking forward to in 2016?
All my damn friends moving out of town, making me scour the university for tolerable gamers.
>>Current kickstarters you're backing/waiting on?
Mare Nostrum and more Heroes of Normandie junk that won't get played enough to justify my spending.
>>Any special bgg related plans for the new year (cons, parties, etc.)
Staining this table once it's warm enough to take it outside.
>>Which games in your collection probably won't see any play this year?
Dominion. Ladies and gentlemen. Exodus. Eclipse. Thunderstone. The resistance. City of Horror. Possibly Fortune & Glory.
>>Ever put in special effort to make your favorite game box snazzier? How so?
Cosmic Encounter rides around in a cedar cigar humidor for some reason.
>>
>>44496646

Mostly Starcraft and Kemet.

I recently got BroodWar so playing with *that*, also there's a possibility I'll start painting the minis and I'm looking quite forward to that.

I also want to get play a couple of games: Sheriff of Nottingham, Mysterium, Last Night on Earth. I think that will complete my collection for a while.

No
1. I'm not aware of anything interesting to back
2. I don't trust kickstarters.

Getting a nice table and regular SC:BW meetings. That game has so much depth it probably won't get stale anytime soon.

Munchkin, Pandemic. And one I'm afraid but hoping this won't be the case: Dominant Species.

I'm trying to pimp up my Kemet box with trays for individual players, will post results here after I'm done.
>>
>>44496646
Nothing in particular really. Will play Triumph&Tragedy each and every time player count and time allows however.

More T&T, Churchill, Le Havre, maybe some COIN games, and some wargames on the lighter end of the autism spectrum.

None, but I'm considering pre-ordering Mare Nostrum and Hands in the Sea.

No.

Too many to list 2bh.

Nope.
>>
Is the Boardgame General a place to discuss Deckbuilding games like Dominion?
>>
>>44501159
Yes
>>
>>44496646
Got my best friend to try out hobby games for the first time yesterday with Flash Point, he now wants to borrow the copy to take into the firehouse.
Whosyercon, Captain's Orders for Gravwell is making me consider checking that game out again,
Nope, gaming budget is too tight and delayed gratification is not my friend.
Brother-in-law is coming over to watch the bowl games today; betting he asks to play SW:Risk another couple of times, still trying to figure out how to beat the TIE swarm strategy.
Field Command; can't bring myself to get rid of it but it's just not worth the time when I've got better 2p games.
Just foamcore for boxes that needed proper inserts.

>>44500846
>All my damn friends moving out of town, making me scour the university for tolerable gamers.
I know that feel, it ended up being easier to convert family and a few non-gaming friends, but I blame that on the toxic LGS near the campus.
>>
>>44500846
>Not playing ti3 with your wife.
>not dominating her ass and winning freedom from dishes for a week.
>>
Recommend me some good deck building games.
The new ascension expansion seems good but i've read mixed opininos when it comes to ascension in general.
Tunderstone seems good but I can only find the starter set.
>>
>>44501578
Nightfall is great. It brings table politics into play, and a cribbed version of mtg's the stack which forces you to play close attention on everyone's turns to profit off of what they play.

I only have base game and first expansion, and it feels like enough.
>>
File: 20160101_104805.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160101_104805.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Slow friends are slow.

>>44501476
She's played, enjoys it and finds it really interesting, but she's too much of a workaholic to spend that large a contiguous block of time on entertainment.
>>
My new years resolution - to invite people over to play Twilight Imperium and poisoning their tea.
What's yours, /bgg/?
>>
>>44501578
You can try both Ascension and Star Realms for free on your phone first if you want. Of the two I prefer Star Realms I think, Ascension is pretty fun but something about it feels weird, like you're wrestling with your deck to do the right thing just a tad bit more. Not that there aren't times where you'll have a bad time trying to get good cards in Star Realms, but that niggling feeling is there.

>>44501897
Can we expect a turn by turn report?
>>
>>44501939
Seconding this, the digital versions are quite good, though I think the reason Star Realms avoids the wrestling feeling is due to it's short length.
>>
>>44501897
What are the pens for?
>>
>>44501939
I'll do my best*.
>>
>>44501897
Well, at least you've gotten her to the table.
Also what is this? A new, and different version of steevs ti3 set up?! It's really happening!
>>
>>44501931
Be less of a fatass, work through my backlog on Steam... and get better deals for board games, I guess.

Oh, and sell the stuff I never play, like the Star Wars VHS board game.
>>
>>44501994
Both versions play out roughly the same I think, around 10-15 minutes each, the app versions atleast, though Star Realms can be much shorter. There's definitely something, though I suspect it's might just "culture shock" from how Ascension plays due to playing the Star Realms app too much.
>>
File: FortuneGlory.jpg (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
FortuneGlory.jpg
89 KB, 600x450
>>44497253
Ameritrash seems to be the term for a game that's heavy on components and theme, but as an actual game can vary greatly in quality.

>In Antarctica, I find... NAZI ATTACK DOGs... with MACHINE GUNS! Because why not?
>... I move two spaces... and that's it. Yay

>>44500573
The Right Kind of Fun for some seem to always seems to involve farming and micro-managing meeples.
>>
>>44502545
Oh, Fortune & Glory... if only you weren't so expensive.
>>
how is that game of thrones board game? is it easy to pick up for people who dont really play board games?
trying to get some friends into playing games and they all love the tv series. im not really a big fan of the show but the board game sounds fun.
>>
>>44503221
>how is that game of thrones board game? is it easy to pick up for people who dont really play board games?
I don't think it's easy to pick up for neophytes, but the official rules video does a really good job of explaining the basics and showing how the game goes. Watching it would probably be especially helpful for people who aren't used to that kind of game.

I've only played a few 3-player games so far, and everyone seems to agree that it's really meant for 5-6 players. Every game has lasted 3-4 hours plus teaching the game. Mechanically, I find it very sound, but in practice I personally don't like how almost everything I do is thwarted by somebody else's actions. You could argue that that is very fitting with the source material, and I definitely won't trash talk a game because I'm not good at it.

I would say, approach with caution, considering the price, game length and difficulty you may have finding enough players (preferably 4+) willing to commit that time regularly on that kind of game. If you get a chance to demo it before you buy, go for it.
>>
>>44503387
ill keep that in mind, thanks. my local card/board game shop is selling the game for $35. im assuming thats a reasonable price.

also, why is the game meant for more people? is the game just too predictable or something with less? the group im planning on playing with is 5 people anyways so hopefully they will all be willing to learn the game.
They all have played D&D campaigns in the past so im hoping that will mean they will be ok with learning an abundance of rules.
>>
>>44503470
>also, why is the game meant for more people? is the game just too predictable or something with less?
Three-ways will generally result in two players attacking each other and the third benefitting from their weakness (the loser having lost a lot of territory and manpower, the winner now having more territory than they can defend, and having also lost some troops).

With more players, you can really start making meaningful alliances across the board, and you'll have a harder time expanding into uncontested territory since there's less of that. I haven't experienced it myself, but the result should be a more confrontational game with more player politics as well.

>They all have played D&D campaigns in the past so im hoping that will mean they will be ok with learning an abundance of rules.
Oh, yes, that should be enough. You may still want to have a rules lawyer memorize all the little details that are often forgotten/overlooked like what you can and cannot do in a port city, but for general play the mechanics aren't very hard to get used to.
>>
>>44496646
My wife and I just bought Pandemic (original) and played it for the first time together.

Is it strange we are winning a lot? We've only lost when we managed to draw two epidemics back to back and ran of disease tokens. Even then we had 3 cures.

Is it more difficult with more people?
>>
>>44503708
More people does tend to make it more difficult because there's more infection occurring between each player's own turns, which makes it hard to plan ahead (if it takes you two turns to get to Bangkok, there's a real chance the situation will be different when your second turn comes and going to Bangkok won't be a priority anymore). It also depletes the player deck "faster" (each player will draw fewer cards in a game with more players and get to use their ability less often). Things like that. You could think more players = more manpower = easier game, but more players also makes the game more aggressive.

As for winning, it's all about the way you set the game up. You can change the number of epidemics, which matters a lot. Playing with random roles will also make the game harder when you get draws that aren't particularly compatible.

Expansions add several new modes and optional variants, several of which can be combined, that will make the game more difficult (in addition to additional roles, and variants that don't impact difficulty much). Virulent strains (On the Brink) are a favorite of mine: they replace normal epidemics with ones that make one disease more difficult to treat or cure. That expansion also adds a fifth disease that behaves slightly differently.

The State of Emergency expansion also has several fun options to make your life more difficult. One requires you to produce and distribute vaccines for the fifth disease in addition to curing all five, which takes considerably more time; another introduces Emergency cards that are like special events, but bad for the players.
>>
>>44503708

Funny enough, I was told how brutal the game was, beat it on my first try. Didn't really like the game so I never tried it again but it certainly didn't feel like Xenoshyft, XCOM, space alert, or legendary encounters.
>>
File: Eurogamer.jpg (29 KB, 333x242) Image search: [Google]
Eurogamer.jpg
29 KB, 333x242
>>44497253
>the term "ameritrash" when describing a game.

When it's not being used by some 'tool' to be snobby about a game they don't like - it's generally used to note some differences in game play mechanics and game style not found in Euro-games. The majority of 'Euro' games do not have 'player elimination'. If you started the game with 4 players, there are still 4 players in the game at the end. Many 'Ameri-trash' games include mechanics that allow player elimination. Anything from Space 4x games to Risk or Monopoly can all eliminate one or more players during the course of game play. Euro-games are also often known for their lack of direct player competition or interaction. In many cases Euro-game players can all access similar resources, the player who wins should be the player who makes the best choices. Many Euro-games are also known for being more about player choice than about needing good dice rolls.
>>
>>44497466

>I am boring and unimaginative, just like the games I play.
>>
Has anyone here played Berserk: War of the Realms? I came really close to backing it on KS back then but I never really get to play 2-player games so I pussied out. Would like to hear /tg/'s impressions.

>captcha: 2016
Huh.
>>
>>44503884
We have not tried 6 yet, and we always randomize roles. So far we find medic and operations expert to be outstanding together, because dumping research stations around the globe lets the medic travel more freely and makes dumping cards for cures easier. We find scientists to be bad luck, but that's probably because it's harder to choose what color to focus on.
>>
File: Connect Fuhrer.jpg (19 KB, 236x244) Image search: [Google]
Connect Fuhrer.jpg
19 KB, 236x244
>>44497466
Don't tell us Anon, let us guess... Your favorite 'Euro-game' is pic related. You come off as that sort of tool.
>>
>>44503942

So euro games must be boring and unimaginative because you have to use your brain?

I think I'll just call you a retard who fits ameritrash perfectly and leave it at that.
>>
>>44503996
>So far we find medic and operations expert to be outstanding together, because dumping research stations around the globe lets the medic travel more freely and makes dumping cards for cures easier.
A friend and I found the same in competitive play. I can't remember what our third choice was at the moment, but Dispatcher is almost a must in our 3-4-player games. It's less useful when you have only one other pawn you can move. Archivist is also a personal favorite because you can get a lot out of his ability. He might be our third 2-player choice.
>>
My family got me Game of Thrones Monopoly for xmas.

I'd like to return it and get a more enjoyable game that is simple enough to play on family game night.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>44504029
Yes. It's all about using your brain. That's what makes it boring.

I used to love Euro games before getting another outlet for my problem solving itch.

I crave combat more than anything now, something Euro games are butthurt bad at.
>>
>>44504136
Depends on your family of course. I was surprised by how well mine received Pandemic (we played maybe 5 games the first weekend, with my in-law who's not into gaming requesting it most).

Dixit is a good simple game to make use of in-jokes and your folks' shared culture since you're likely to have watched the same movies, read the same books, etc. and reference those in your hints.

My family rediscovered Crokinole over the holidays and we had a blast. Any dexterity game will easily be simple enough to introduce to anyone and can provide mindless good fun.
>>
>>44504029
>So euro games must be boring and unimaginative because you have to use your brain?
No, but it's not the issue here. The issue here is that you're simply a clueless ass-hat. Anyone with as mentally lazy as you obviously are would suck at Ameri-trash or Euro-games.
>>
>>44504170
>Problem solving
>chuck some dice, let random numbers do their thing
>solving problems
>Euro games
>bad at combat

I really think you should just stop. Your posts are seriously full of stupid, but then you do like ameritrash.
>>
Well, it was a nice general while it lasted. Maybe the next one will have less faggots.
>>
>>44504218

I've heard good things about Pandemic, that and the sheriff of nottingham game. And Dixit looks like something my family would play as well.
>>
>Stop liking what I don't like: The Thread

Be sure to act like an elitist fuckwit about board games of all things and then get immensely booty flustered when someone calls you out on it.
>>
>>44504412
I'm some other anon. I just got here.

German games are fun, but they don't do much else than farming a resource most of the time.

I like both spectrums of games. The problems presented by ameritrash games are different than by those posed by German games.

Also chucking dice around for minor events isn't all that bad. I never understood the hate for it as a mechanic.

Did Monopoly secretly touch you as a child or something?
>>
Whats a good derogatory name for euro games then? Should level the playing field.
>>
>>44504693
Aren't they called eurotrash?
>>
LGS January sale starts tomorrow, anything I should be on the look out for?
>>
>>44504599
>Also chucking dice around for minor events isn't all that bad. I never understood the hate for it as a mechanic.

Nothing wrong with dice per se. It's when the entire game revolves around it as the be all and end all. You may as well not be there except the game needs your arm to move the dice.
>>
>>44504599
>>44504920

Also as an addendum
Ameritrash games don't have problems. They have "Did I roll the right outcome on the random number generator, yes/no?"
>>
Ameritrash games are full of random chance where no choice has meaning

Eurogames are dry and composed of number and color manipulation that only small children and people with extreme autism can enjoy.

You're all faggots.

There, now that it's all out in the open we can get back to talking about things we enjoy and ignore obvious shitposters because ffs are they ever obvious.
>>
>>44505047

Provide examples. Specific games.
>>
>>44502114
Voting in assembly. Markers for the tech tree.

End of round two, not many objectives claimed, most of the systems outside one corner occupied, I managed to sneak in and grab mecatol with shock troops.
Expect some fighting next round.
>>
>>44505143
You forgot to add that talisman and betrayal are the shittiest board games that a nonpleb of decent taste could subject themself to.

Apart from that, hitting the nail on the head.
>>
>>44505308
You breaking some fingers yet?
>>
File: 20160101_143510.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160101_143510.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>44505308
Fergot pic

>>44505332
SOON
>>
>>44505317

Nearly bought talisman once, dodged a bullet.

Best free weekend Steam have ever had desu, saved me £30 and a massive amount of disappointment.
>>
>>44505198
Monopoly is all about landing on the correct spaces, for one, and that's entirely up to the dice roll.
>>
>>44505788

No one in their right mind likes Monopoly though and it's hardly representative of modern board games.
>>
>>44505047

So a lot of people say that Dune/Rex is a classic Ameritrash game but it doesn't fit your definition at all.
>>
>>44505997
Absolutely true, though I expect a counterargument of "But Dune's a hybrid!" , as though that somehow invalidates it.
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 450x450
Hey /bgg/ I played Evolution last night and I was wondering what you all think of it. I enjoyed the game, but I felt like there was some something missing that I just couldn't put my finger on. I love the theme and the mechanics and the art is god damned beautiful, but I just didn't feel the normal "pull" I get from a game that I want to own for myself. Maybe it's because we only had time for one game and I hadn't fully wrapped my brain around it until the half way point, but I don't know.
>>
I've got the alt art mysterio cards for legendary I'm trying to sell, but I can't find any other listing on the net for these things. Anyone have an idea of how much they're worth?
>>
>>44497253
For me "Ameritrash" means heavy-theme light-mechanics. These are your games that are all about handfuls dice and miniatures and EXPLOSIONS, where it might not be deep but it's fun as a physical object. I always point to Battleball for a good example. "Eurogames" for me are light-theme heavy-mechanics. These are your deep thought games where it would feel the same if it was place with properly labeled rocks but you're too deep in thought to care what it looks like anyway. Think chess.

But the key part, at least to me is, that games exist on a spectrum. I like games that are somewhere in the middle of these two extremes. I never use either term as a derogatory statement, but more as a general label so I can quickly describe the general feel of something.

Honestly, just like what you like. A good friend will play a game with you even if it's "too Ameritrash/Euro" as long as they get to pick the next game.
>>
>>44505788
>>44505852
Ameritrash is also a matter of having heavily layered theme and detailed components to cover for a lackluster game. Like having turns in Fortune & Glory range from fighting machine gun using dogs in France, to moving two spaces and finding nothing. Or Arkham Horror, where the world burns after a four hour game because a player didn't have enough money for a plane ticket to where a demon spawned.

On the flip side, a certain amount of theme and detail is essential. There can only be so many "ferry materials from Point A to Point B" kind of games before they get stale.
>>
>>44505852
There are good versions of Monopoly out there; Monopoly Deal is a fun little set collection game, and Tropical Tycoon is a fun DVD board game.

Whatever happened to DVD board games, anyway?
>>
>>44506138
My one friend really thinks I would like it, but I keep getting the itchy feeling that I should avoid it whenever I see it at the table.

I think Spore put these feelings inside me. The promise that I can "create my own species" feels like bullshit sliders and tacked-on gimmicks doesn't feel like evolution. Dominant Species isn't about evolution, but it feels like it captures that struggle of survival much, much better.
>>
>>44501897
Is that a fucking black hole?
>>
>>44508477
Gravity rift. Super dangerous for ships to traverse, super op when you take the tech that makes it provide movement bonuses to ships adjacent to it. Potentially 5 movement cruisers, ffg, what were you thinking.
>>
Question about 7 Wonders for /tg/, what do you guys like to play? Got any favorite strategies or wonders? I played my first few games with some friends yesterday, first game was a mess but after that we knew what we were doing, figured I'd ask the ever so rare /bgg/ before learning all the crazy strats by googling them.
>>
Ok /bgg/ I'm in charge of getting my normal group of friends into board games more complex than monopoly and risk. I managed to get them into Wiz-War, but I want to go further. Is ticket to ride a place to go from there? I've never actually played it and I want to give it a shot. Is it all its hyped up to be?
>>
>>44510787

>All it's hyped up to be

Whoever hypes that game should be taken out back and shot in the face. You put down lines on a board in small sections at a time. Sometimes you have to wait a few turns before you can put your lines down. Sometimes someone interrupts your line. That's about it.

If anything I'd say it doesn't have much staying power. People in my area tend to like it, but that doesn't mean they're ever playing it unless someone puts it in front of them.

If they're just super casual about things ticket might work for you. If they have any interest of going heavier, ticket will become dead weight. Then again it's not munchkin so you could certainly make worse decisions.
>>
>>44510787
Are you using the USA map? Because that's the most newb-friendly version (everything else adds a couple of bells & whistles - great for more experienced gamers, but it raises the difficulty curve a bit too much for newcomers). The game itself is good, solid fun - nothing mind-blowing, but it's a good way to spend an hour.

If you want to broaden their horizons, try social/party games, like Ca$h & Gun$ and The Resistance.
>>
>>44510941
Wait C&G is good? I've never seen anyone play it, but it always looked interesting. They also do Coup, so I guess Resistance would be a good step from there. Is Avalon better?

>>44510907
Sounds bleh, whats something a tad more complex. They are starting to analyze the mechanics of Wiz-war so they have the brainpower to go a bit deeper.
>>
>>44511021
Yes Ca$h n Gun$ is definitely good; pick whichever theme suits you best for The Resistance, if you really want the roles from Avalon you can proxy them or buy the Hidden Agenda expansion.

As for TtR? It's not anywhere near as bad as Talismayne suggests, but he's also in a constant battle with half the people who post here about his namesake, which is also not nearly as bad as people claim. If you also consider a base box as a system investment the expansions can add a ton of longevity and UK/Penn gives it enough depth to move it out of being solely a gateway game.
>>
>>44511541
Thanks gov, this will give me a couple options when I return to board game night. Have a nice evening
>>
>>44496646
who here has played runequest?
is http://www.ebay.com/itm/351506853624 really enough to get started?
Is it as good as they say?
>>
>>44511778

>http://www.ebay.com/itm/351506853624

Um, anon, you might want to make another thread about that. Or look for an RPG thread.
>>
File: 20160101_185934.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160101_185934.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Xxcha threatened a win, so i snuck a carrier loaded with shock troops behind his lines and took hia hlme system, but he managed to snatch it back next turn and pulled out a sneak win mind-turn by grabbing up a couple arifacts from under the noses of mentak, hacan, and naalu.

Rip in peace, gg no re, next time gadget!, etc.

Surprisingly low-combat game, vast majority of fights were me stealth shuttling shock troops onto peoples planets. Definitely going back to two rings next time, regretting chickening out and going to three for five players.
>>
>>44510676
7 Wonders is pure tactics, no chance of a strategy going in. I always play with random wonders, but I don't know a single person who doesn't like the one that builds discarded cards for free

Best tip for beginners is to keep a watch on someone about to build a science set. If you're ready to build a wonder, the third piece of his set better be what you build your wonder with

Obviously don't fall into the trap of investing into too much military since military has such a small reward and an even smaller penalty. Don't count on the military guild to make it worthwhile

Finally, build for free as much as possible. Pay special attention to which cards are pre-requisites to future free builds. Depending on my first few hands in Age I, I try to make sure I have the production I need for my wonder and that's about it. If I have to discard a couple Age II/III cards for gold, it's not the end of the world
>>
>>44510676
In standard 7 Wonders you're not likely to win by building up a huge military, but you may need some to avoid having a lot VPs leached off of you by neighbors with military forces. The real surprise VP combo is multiple complete sets of Tech. They multiple rather than just add together. Make sure you don't let folks around you get complete sets. Burying techs you don't need while building your wonder is a good way to prevent others from getting them.
>>
>>44512971
Jinx! Heh.
>>
Dead of Winter seems to be my group's big go-to, and we're starting to pretty regularly win at it so we're probably going to stop playing it soon. Hopefully that means more Eldritch Horror in our future.

Also I'm waiting for the "The Others: 7 Sins" to ship.
>>
>>44513251
Waiting for the Eminent Domain / Battlecruisers KS to ship myself.
>>
Halp I can't stop playing Kemet
>>
Just got BattleCON: War of Indines, but it'll be a while before I can play it with anyone.
Does anyone happen to have a Windows executable of the AI that's on BoardGameGeek? I tried running the Python script, but I can't even install the dependencies...
>>
>>44513251

Others backer excited about it as well. Didn't even know until a month after the campaign ended it was players vs gm. Changes nothing, still looks fun.
>>
Is Shadows of Brimstone actually good or is it just another shitty kickstarter game?
>>
What is a good rules light, fun dice rolling game that isn't too random?

Also, good risk-like games without more complexity.
>>
>>44516702
I played it a few times and thought it was a pretty good dungeon crawling type board game.
then again, i havent really played too many of the dungeon crawling type.
i guess if you generally hate kickstarter board games, just save yourself the trouble and avoid it
>>
>>44516702
It's actually pretty good, my only complaint is the mini's not coming assembled.
>>
>>44503221

I don't think it's easy to pick up, but it isn't hard either. You need one or two games to get to know the rules - there's a lot of going on - different orders, units, limits, how does recruiting work, the game timer etc.

After those two plays it takes a *lot* of time to master everything - how do the factions work, when to be aggressive, when to negotiate so on and so forth.

Due to the game depth you need a dedicated group willing to invest some time solely on it. It's easy to die in the second turn if you're a bad player or just mismatched and the game takes a long time 2-3hrs+ so that's also not a lot.

Personally, I see a lot of potential in this game but it was just never a hit in my circles.
>>
>>44516963
Summoner Wars, but that's only for two players.

King of Tokyo/ New York is Yahtzee meets Godzilla. Light and silly, but upgrade cards add some small level of tactics.
>>
>>44503708

How many epidemic cards are you using? We only managed to consistently beat the game at 4 in the beginning. It's certainly not easy.

1. Do you do outbreaks? If there are 3 diseases in one place you don't add another token. Instead you add one to each neighboring city. This can cause a chain reaction (though it can't create an infinite loop)
2. Increase the outbreak counter every time there's on outbreak?
3. Reshuffle what was discarded after each epidemic?
4. Increase the epidemic counter?

Don't really see any other rules that can be easily forgotten.
>>
>>44520068
> the game takes a long time
> 2-3hrs+

This is one of those things where I'm not sure if it's a comment on the fact that it seems like more people than ever have a hard time concentrating on one thing for an extended period of time. Or if it's a comment on the fact that in spite of all our modern tech we still don't seem to have / make the time to do imaginative things purely for the fun of them. The same issue would apply to RPG's as well I suppose.
>>
>>44520172

Sorry, mental shortcut. It takes a long time versus the complexity/payoff it gives. It's not a bad game but it takes a longer time then it should.

We spend more time on StarCraft (easily 5hr games with beginners and it takes only a little bit longer than GoT with advanced payers.) But the game is a lot more in depth - covering building, researching etc ON TOP OFF the mechanics GoT has.
>>
>>44520172

Also compare that to Kemet which is similar in depth (if not more) games take 1-1.5hrs. That means that we can play 2 games in the same time and most of us find Kemet more fun to play to boot.
>>
>>44504599
> Also chucking dice around for minor events isn't all that bad. I never understood the hate for it as a mechanic.

Not that anon but I find the randomness from dice "cheap". Cards are also random but they give you some strategic choice and you know you're getting all of your cards at some point in time.

When you roll dice that's it, there's no choice. Also you can have arbitrarily long runs of bad/good rolls. This isn't possible with cards because you hit the deck is finite and the randomness is harnessed.

In some games having those bad/good runs in critical times of the game will ruin the experience even though the dice are "fair" in an abstract way the CLT doesn't reflect the reality.

This isn't exactly applicable to "rolling dice for minor events" but the feeling of dice == cheep persists for me and I try to avoid games that have dice as a mechanic.
>>
>>44504693

I've seen euroshit
>>
>>44514971

If you install it on linux (like through VirtualBox) I can guide you through getting the packages, I guess.
>>
>>44517531
>i guess if you generally hate kickstarter board games, just save yourself the trouble and avoid it
Why would someone hate Kickstarter games in particular? You can crowdfund any game (or product in general) whatsoever, and it has no effect on how it plays.

>>44516963
>What is a good rules light, fun dice rolling game that isn't too random?
I haven't tried it, but I have Alea Iacta Est on my list for if I ever want to add a dice-based gateway game to my collection. Since you spend your dice on various things, your outcomes aren't as dependent on specific dice rolls as rolling for an action's success is.
>>
>>44520587
I was hoping to avoid that kind of thing, considering my Notebook doesn't like VirtualBox.
If I had a working Linux device here, I could do it myself, no problem.
Guess I'll just have to wait either way.
>>
>>44520706
>If I had a working Linux device here, I could do it myself, no problem.
You could run it out off a thumb drive, do whatever you need to do in the test environment and copy the info you need to the hard drive.
>>
Does anybody have those old recommendations charts?

Mansion of madness last night, catan with a more casual crowd tonight
My bonus. I'm hoping to get twilight imperium soon.
Nothing, but I'd love some suggestions, Board game kickstarters seem pretty legit.
Trying to set up a consistent group to play weekly with.
I'm gonna try to switch it up every week, but probably space hulk.
No, but I'm thinking of buying little containers for some to replace the bags currently in use.
>>
File: 1445626365115.png (2 MB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
1445626365115.png
2 MB, 1625x1012
>>44520743
>>
>>44520770
Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>44496646
Plenty of Wings of War, warmed a few in my group to it. Just had a complete newbie to board games win a 4-way too, albeit with really simple rules.

More games, more gametime I guess?

Only Scythe for now. I really want to back Global Collapse though, seems fun and really cheap even if it is PnP.

My weekend short board game night disguised as an afterjog activity seems to be working, hopefully I can continue on it throughout the year.

OGRE Pocket Edition I guess. I also have no idea how to introduce Castles of Mad King Ludwig for a play either, though that might still be possible compared to OGRE.

I cut out a few dividers using cardboard for Flashpoint. Ugly, but I'm proud of it, though I'd probably ditch it for a good plano box if I find one that fits everything.
>>
>go to garage sale
>see WoW Bordgame with both expansions
>all tied up with a ribbon neatly
>price is $30
>ask old lady (was super out of place) why it's there
>her son died overseas (soldier) and they're selling off his old stuff to help pay for a proper funeral
>give her the full $50 I took out for garage sale hunting for the games

Good deed and a bargain. All three in mint condition, not even bags opened or cardboard sheets punched out. Couldn't believe it, was sure at least some components would be missing.
>>
>>44520967
You did good, Anon.
>>
is Eclipse like a "lite" version of twilight imperium?
>>
>>44522176
No. It is sometimes advertised as such, but they are very different games. The theme is similar and that is it. Economy, exploration, combat, ship building, win conditions, all are quite distinct. There are few similarities.
>>
>>44522176
Exodus: Proxima Centauri is closer.
Honestly, though, TI3 with the right setup is close to as fast, and enormously more flavorful.
>>
>>44514847
Fight the red/blue/white power
>>
>>44507550
Maybe it is that I didn't get a good feel for my creatures but I don't think so. I honestly think I need to just play it again.

Also, we played Zombicide. Not really the type of thing that I'd buy and I still think I like Zombies!!! better, but it wasn't a waste of my time. So I guess my final verdict is "it's okay".
>>
>>44522708
>No black
Laughing nubians.jpg
>>
>>44520770
I started with Netrunner. Turns out she is not into dekcbuilding games. Now I have a Netrunner basic set never used.

She also declines to play chess or go with me.

fuck my life
>>
>>44523266
Netrunner is a really heavy thing to try to start with.

If she's never really played games you should have started with something like Carcassone, Forbidden Island, or Hababi.
>>
File: character creation.png (67 KB, 760x378) Image search: [Google]
character creation.png
67 KB, 760x378
>>44496646
Nothing. See >>44523266
We have no boardgames besides these and a backgammon set that sees occasional use.
Finding a game I can invite 2-3 people out for on a by-weekly basis. Dominion looks nice, but I am not sure if it is a good match for 2 people in case we want to play like that. I also want to get a Sekigahara set because it looks genuinely interesting, and I have friends who would be into it.

Nothing at the moment. I am a newfag to boardgaming, at the age of 30...

See what I'm looking forward to.

The goban...
I didn't know that was a thing.
>>
File: everything will be fire.jpg (221 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
everything will be fire.jpg
221 KB, 1280x960
>>44523314
She is a veteran /tg/ lady. Her ex has over 50 boardgames and they play rpgs monthly. I'm just a guy who never really tried to get folks to play with him. Once i started a part of dnd4, but it broke up due to lack of interest. Once i asked if friends wanted to play with me and they said they already play only war and have no time for other games.

I am really lonely at times. /tg/ usually helped me through the bad times the past 8 years or so.
>>
I have a question, /bbg/:

My father, the awesome guy that he is, bought me a board game for Christmas. Unfortunately, it was Catan.

I played Catan once a while ago and didn't really care for the mechanics. And my primary board gaming partner absolutely hates the game and won't touch it. So I know that I won't get much mileage out of Catan. However, my dad said that he'd be interested in playing the game with me and I'd really like to try that.

It's still sitting in the shrink-wrap. If I ask him to return it, what is a decent, entry-level economic Euro game that isn't awful? All that comes to mind is Carcassonne, but that game never interested me much either.

Alternatively, should I just bite the bullet and rope my brother in to try it out with him? I'm afraid of having a $50 paperweight in my collection. At least the wooden pieces seem nice.
>>
>>44523380
I've played Dominion a couple times and it is fun with 3 players. Dunno about two.
>>
>>44523398
Thanks for the suggestion, but he has bad eyes (and hates glasses) so card games are out. I also suspect that Dominion might to be too complex. He doesn't play games at all.

Basically, is there anything similar to Catan except better? A light game involving placing wooden pieces on a board.
>>
>>44523266

I started with Neuroshima: Hex with my gf. The theme is not at all something a girlfriend might like but the game is great enough that she loves it.
>>
>>44523380
Don't be bloody ridiculous. Go and spend some quality time with your father playing the game that he spent time and money getting you. So it isn't the best ever, next time he'll have a better idea because you'll have had some shared family time over it.
>>
>>44523380
I agree with >>44523769, just do it. your dad wants to play, so play with him. Having one game that's just for you two isn't that bad. Catan could even be the token "for new people" game in your collection if you need to justify it more.
>>
>>44523769
I'm concerned about this because I don't want the time and money he invested for my sake to go to waste. I knew I might come across as an ungrateful prick for saying this in the first place, but it was a genuine question.
>>
>>44523951
>>44523997
Also, just to add, I don't think my dad is incredibly interested in playing it, either. If he was enthused about Catan specifically, I wouldn't be asking this at all (we'd be playing it already), but from the way he said it, it was more like he felt it was simple enough that he might try it if I asked.
>>
>>44523997

Think this is something you really gotta figure out on your own anon. For example, I'm really close to my mom, and I see my dad maybe once a year, and even then we interact like construction buddies and that's about it.

If mom told me she wants to play a game I absolutely despised, like ticket to ride or lords of waterdeep, I'd tell her to piss off because that shits for scrubs. If dad asked me the same question, I'd do it without voicing my opinion.

I think of all the possible outcomes, the best ones are going to be leaning towards just keeping the game and playing with him. It's more than likely going to become a paperweight you can't give away because everyone already has it, but sometimes you gotta take the knife like that.

If you and your dad are crafty, spend some quality time making fancy 3d tiles or something for it. That way you get the quality time and hey you might can sell it to someone down the road because it's fancy upgraded catan.
>>
>>44523495
My wife is better than me at that game. We fell in love with the physical copy together, she got the app, played it mercilessly at every opportunity, and now she is on another level.

She created an infinite loop with the Doomsday race. Fuck that redirecting/splitting shots bullshit.
>>
>>44523221

How's Ta-Seti? The black pyramid was the only thing in the expansion that looked like a nice addition. Well that and the cards and Dawn phase ;P.
>>
>>44505788
Not only is Monopoly generally regarded as a waste of time, those mechanics were essential to showing the evils of capitalism. The game was actually much more depressing when it was first made and called Landlords. Modern monopoly has forgotten its roots even removing utilities, railroads or income tax. But like I said no one likes it.
>>
>>44512930
3 rings a shit. Even in ascension
>>
>>44522708
So what you're saying is, black power.

I'd have ta-seti if it wasn't sold out all Christmas weekend
>>
>>44525325
Pretty much.
Ascention yssaril were ridiculously fun though. That revised shuttle logistics is totally insane, especially since they let me hold Hope's End.
>>
I honestly hate eurotrash games with all my heart.

its basically like playing a game of monopoly except you play as the banker instead of playing the actual game.
>>
>>44525097
>evils of capitalism
Easy, tovarish. Don't want to attract the /pol/ice.
>>
File: cisenor.jpg (104 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cisenor.jpg
104 KB, 800x600
>>44525097
>showing the evils of capitalism
>>
>>44526196
0/10
>>
Played smallworld for the first time last night and really enjoyed it, kinda like risk in some ways if risk was a good game. Also played some descent which I enjoy but we need to get better at playing it so rounds don't take so long. I've also been playing talisman from time to time.
>>
>>44496646
Warhammer Quest: the Adventure Card Game. It is great. great take on cooperative play that mechanically limits quarterbacking.

playing Roll for the Galaxy, which i just got. also, trying to host regular board gaming parties (my secret: start at 2-3pm so that people actually play games before getting into party mode).

no board game ones.

GenCon! also, as above, hopefully hosting more board gaming parties (monthly?).

Puerto Rico, Chez Geek, Munchkin, Dragon's Gold.

i've got the crazy expensive 3-d resin collectors edition of Settlers of Catan. i sleeved up Star Realms in KMC matte sleeves and keep it in a nice deck box.
>>
>>44523380
Anon, let me tell you about a little game called Nexus. Nexus' rules can be boiled down to

>pick 12 tiles that are numbered 1-30 from a bag
>longest run e.g. 12-15 goes first
>pick another tile out of the bag when it's your go
>try to get rid of as many of your tiles as you can

Now you might think that sounds pretty boring, and it is when you play it 2-player (things get a weensy bit log-jammed unless you draw that one tile). However, it's the only game my dad and I play together on a regular basis (aside from Gemblo, but we need my mum to play that as well) because my dad usually refuses point blank to learn the rules to anything else.

There's a scoring system, but that was ignored before we ever played the game. Let me repeat that for you - my parents ignore rules from the very simplest game in my collection, so it's easier to play.

Here's the kicker: I was the one who bought Nexus, because I knew there would be at least one game in my collection that my parents might actually want to play.
>>
>>44523492
ticket to ride?
>>
>>44527005
>because my dad usually refuses point blank to learn the rules to anything else.

This is why I love playing board games and learning new ones - so I don't end up as one of those people who figures they're done learning things. I know people who have been this way since they got out of college or high-school.
>>
>>44500357
Is it a bad game ? I could not play it yet and I see the point with no replayebility/not playing further but I heard that its a good game.
>>
>>44504693
Cubepushers ?
>>
>>44497253
I know this conversation has basically died down, but I wanted to toss a bit into the discussion.

I think the Ameritrash/Eurogame distinction comes from the emergence of Catan. Stick with me here.

Before the 60's and 70's, "board games" were either games hundreds to thousands of years old chess, go, mancala, etc) or games that had only gotten popular in the last several decades. (The Game of Life, Monopoly, etc) Already, we can see something of a distinction. The older games were more abstract, while the newer ones (mostly American-produced) relied on theme and higher amounts of chance.

Germany in the 60's and 70's was the leader in European game design. They created the Spiel des Jahres in 1978, the "Oscars of Board Games". And it was a German producer that made Catan in 1995. Catan's colossal commercial success was, in my opinion, the beginning of the Modern Board Game era.

And it set the tone for what Eurogames would become known for: resource management, players can't be eliminated, reduced reliance on luck. So when it got big, and started pushing the board game market forward, American producers looked at the games being made and...found them a little boring. Not in terms of gameplay, mind you, but American media is noted for being brighter, louder, more explosions.

So we made games that were more like that. On the good side of American-style games, we have something like Dead of Winter: Chance plays a large part of the game, there's a bunch of components, and it's very theme-heavy. On the weaker end, you get stuff like the endless attempts to update Monopoly.

The term "ameritrash" itself popped up half in jest. "Eurotrash" has been an slang term for at least 30 years, referring to European tourists/immigrants of dubious morals/taste/fashion sense. As such, the idea to call theme-heavy, luck-centered games, a product of American creators 'Ameritrash' was meant as a joking reversal, and mild condemnation.
>>
>>44529163
...so where do wargames fit into all this?
>>
>>44531212
A genre born of early-ish ameritrash that's maintained a strong isolation from the rest of the boardgame world.
>>
>>44523380
If you want something other than Euros, and your dad is a fan of Star Wars, X-Wing Miniatures should be pretty easy to learn and teach since it's basically moving around the table pew pewing at each other. If not Star Wars, then there's the WW1/WW2 Wings of War/Glory games which are basically the same. If you prefer Eurogames though, then look at Suburbia or Castles of Mad King Ludwig, both rely on symbols and colours more than text.
>>
File: Xia_Product_03.jpg (815 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Xia_Product_03.jpg
815 KB, 1200x800
>>44526367
Just saying that's the point of the game. Whether you agree with its ethos or not is your business. Not that the mega corporation that now produces it even understands that.

>>44526438
ITT: Socialism is the only alternative to Capitalism

CURRENTLY PLAYING MY FIRST GAME OF XIA LEGENDS OF A DRIFT SYSTEM, FUCK.

THIS GAME.

This fucking game.

Why do you not own this yet?
>>
>>44532425
Bad distribution, expensive as hell, and roll2move?
>>
>>44531212
>>44531267
Therein lies a thorny issue.

Wargames, for values thereof, are nearly as old as boardgames themselves. Let us not forget that Chess is, at the base thematic level, a war game.

Modern Wargaming began around 1805, as a training exercise for officers in the Polish army. They expanded to many nations, and were popular among the retired military. The very end of the 1800's lead to the first civilian wargaming clubs. The Naval War College openly supported some clubs.

World Wars 1 and 2 picked up mainstream appeal in wargames, as it became easier for the general public to learn of war-time strategies, and battle results in swift enough time to consider their alternatives. ('Armchair generals' beginning to emerge)

The fifties saw the first mass-market war games appearing,with Avalon Hill, their market reaching so far that it's known that JFK and Henry Kissinger both played the board wargame Diplomacy, and in fact Kissinger stated it was his favorite game. The Seventies are often called the "Golden Age" of Wargaming, seeing the birth of companies like Game Designer's Workshop, and TSR. Micro-war games like Ogre came out in this time. (Notable for this era is the presence of more Wars with modern media and intelligence services. Vietnam in particular drove many to wonder what it would be like to command the troops, and if their choices would be superior.)

In the 80's, Games Workshop's Warhammer Fantasy Battle lead a big push on fantasy wargaming, helped by TSR's Chainmail producing Dungeons and Dragons in the late seventies. Unfortunately, the whole market had a downturn, after personal computers and their games became popular.

Basically, modern wargaming was much more prevalent in the earlier decades of the 1900's, but is a smaller share of the total market now.
>>
>>44532425
It'd be just one more giant box on top of the cabinet that I overspent on and needs dusting every week.
>>
>>44532810

>roll2move

I will never be able to wrap my mind around forsaking a game completely because of this mechanic. Not saying that's what you do, but there's some people in my area that do it, and it's just ridiculous to me.
>>
>>44496646
Mostly things like Munchkin because my friends are awful and can't handle even slightly more complexity
John not fucking things up for the whole group every slightly competitive game we play.
None
Might start going to the FLGS boardgame night
All of them.
No because they all get damaged through some special kind of magic
>>
Netrunner with girlfriend
Dune - The dice must flow, and Nevermore the card game. Played above Dune once already, its was very good fun. Looking forward to play nevermore. Oh, and Dixit as well
No
We usually have a 4 day boardgame/tabletop game camp with my friends in the summer, its always the biggest fun in the whole year. Gaming, chilling, drinking, chatting. Otherwise I am happy if I can get some normal gaming sessions.
Probably Rex.
>>
>>44533283
No, I'm still tempted to grab xia in spite of it, but it is one of those mechanics that's generally pretty irritating any time it's used. At least with talisman there's generally an interesting destination option, but in Xia, it seems you could get a lot of turns that are effectively doing nothing besides inching across space.
>>
>>44533283
Roll to Move is another example of randomization that makes certain gamers rabid. It can lead to some players having epic turns, and others consisting of moving two spaces and thats it.

I don't know, be it dice or cards, there ultimately has to be some bits of chance to it. Eliminating anything rando begs the question why a person is playing a game at all.
>>
>>44534563
>>44534594
If you played the game you'd know the roll to move thing isn't a terribly big deal what with Impulse and all.
>>
>>44496646

Anything I can get to the table. aka MtG, Force of Will, X-Wing, and nothing else.

I got a stupid good deal on Xia from somewhere in Europe.
I'm looking forward to reading the rulebook.

I backed HIRÞ and am looking forward to it.
I'm also looking forward to waiting for either a sale or feedback before I pick up Gloomhaven and I guess Scythe since the entire Internet is nutting over it for some reason.

I spent my new year at my FLGS surrounded by board games. I was lucky enough to play my copy of Coup- once. Everything else was Cards Against Humanity XDDDD, drafting MtG, a small FoW tourney I was too drunk for, and playing flip it or rip it because I drank a fifth of Jack.

All the ones you can't buy at a book store chain.

I store my miniature war/skirmish games in tackle boxes if those count.
>>
King of new york, Ti3, some netrunner.
Definitely seafall. I've enjoyed all the legacy games so far and a 4x legacy sounds amazing.
Xenoshyft dreadmire
Naw
Ashes. I like it but my playgroup hates it.
I paint the minis and print out custom refrence sheets
>>
>>44534594

Honestly, it's always been more thematic for me to deal with random movement. It's more realistic to see getting from point A to point B not always taking the exact amount of time. Could be traffic/obstacles. Could be engine malfunctions. Could be minor problems that don't need mentioning. When I hear about these people that just absolutely lose their shit when it comes to random movement, I just imagine how irritating life must be for them, because it's filled with random variables like that.

But then maybe thats why some people hate random games. If you're going to escape random reality, you wouldn't do it with a game that does the same thing. Suppose the alternate is true. If you embrace variables, then you wouldn't want to play games where all of that is gone and everything is certain.

Could just be thinking too much on it.
>>
>>44533283
The one that gets me is when people flip their shit over roll to move in Shadows of Brimstone, when rolling a 1 gets you Grit, and you can immediately spend a grit to roll an additional die to add to your movement, and everybody is using ranged weapons against melee opponents so movement barely matters anyways...
>>
>>44528811
It's not bad but it's definitely not number 1 game of all time good and is rightly annoying people who see it as another sign of the industry going downhill (ala video game industry) with another downsided gimmick popping up.
>>
>>44536718
Yeah, fuck repackaging the same game in different colors and seasons, they pitch it as a "unique experience", but you could have the exact same thing with a scenario booklet without having to destroy your boardgame when the campaign is over. It's the cardboard equivalent of shitty, single-serve DLC.
>>
>>44535402
>Could just be thinking too much on it.
Nah, I think you're on to something. More cartesian people like to look at a problem and solve it - they don't want random "bullshit" to get in the way of their calculations. Others who are big on imagination like to take on roles and let randomness take the experience to places they don't fully control.

I can easily imagine the same applying to their outlook on life in general. The first category would possibly prefer a predictable life where everything is ordered how they've planned for it; the latter would avoid routine and enjoy life's good surprises (and be able to cope with the bad ones).

I find myself balanced in many things and it could apply here as well. I always try to optimize things and I consider dilemmas from a logical perspective, but I can't stand routine and I've essentially built my lifestyle on organized chaos. I like games that fall in the middle of the abstract/thematic spectrum and avoid those that are too abstract or too much like pure acting or random number generation.

>>44520967
Also, I didn't want to make a post just for this, but your gesture didn't go unnoticed.
>>
So I just played Risk: Lord of the Rings edition and liked it. I haven't played a board game in years until then.

Any recommendations? Is Catan good?
>>
Mostly my shadow of brimstone solo. I want to get a bunch of people together for BSG, but that's not gonna happen
Getting my hands on WHFBRPG (might as well be a boardgame) and repurchasing descent
Journey to the Overland and FTZ
Nothing yet
BSG, Arcadia Quest, etc. basically anything I can't play solo
All my boxes get thrown out and I buy carry cases/suitcases/etc for each of my games. I end up glueing/fixing fixtures in place to hold things. Makes it nicer and more often then not allows for you to carry more in a smaller case
>>
>>44537448
>All my boxes get thrown out and I buy carry cases/suitcases/etc for each of my games. I end up glueing/fixing fixtures in place to hold things. Makes it nicer and more often then not allows for you to carry more in a smaller case
My organizing side would love that, but my OCD side insists on keeping everything in its original box, except for combining expansions when they'll fit into base boxes - but I still keep the expansion boxes somewhere. Something about being able to resell them if I ever want to, which of course has never happened to date.
>>
>>44537343
Catan hasn't aged well. It came out 20 years ago and became an instant classic, but board game design has gone a long way since then. It's still a good gateway for euro-style games and I'll still bring it out to the table every now and then, but the random resource generation and negotiation puts off a lot of the more experienced gamers. By all means, try it for yourself and decide whether you like it or not.
>>
>>44537568
>My organizing side would love that, but my OCD side insists on keeping everything in its original box, except for combining expansions when they'll fit into base boxes - but I still keep the expansion boxes somewhere.
See I used to do exactly this; Keep expansion boxes aside albeit empty, just prosperity's sake. Then one day I went to grab a box for one of the games I was selling, and it had cockroaches and stuff in it. After that, I threw them all out and got non-cardboard boxes.
>Something about being able to resell them if I ever want to, which of course has never happened to date.
I've actually been able to make some money off the games I've sold by adding "custom box, holds everything!"
>>
>>44537343
Maybe tell us a bit about your tastes.
What do you like?
Do you prefer few or lots of people?
Thinky games or casual stuff?
Srs bsns or goofy games?
>>
File: thefuck.jpg (37 KB, 512x412) Image search: [Google]
thefuck.jpg
37 KB, 512x412
>>44500357
>Pandemic Legacy now ranked #1 on BGG
I did not believe this post until I just went there to confirm it. When did this happen? Pandemic Legacy isn't even anywhere in the same fucking league as Twilight Struggle. What the fuck? This completely blows my mind.
>>
>>44536718
Hmm but I think the Legacy gimmick will not catch on... Maybe as legacy versions of popular games but as an mass thing it should not carry on... at least for eurogames it would be really missfitting...
>>44537111
Yeah senario booklets are awesome. Love Robinson Crusoes Darwin.
>>
>>44502545
those continents disgust me
>>
>>44523380
Catan is pretty good if you play it was a big enough group imo. Especially a group of people who haven't played much boardgames in their life.
>>
>>44541279
I wouldn't say 'Catan' is a good game with a large group. Catan is a simple enough game to introduce to new players and it won't overly confuse or frustrate them. The problem with Catan is that it hasn't aged all that well. When you hear even veteran Catan players complaining about how they were not out-played by the winner, but lost due to repeated dice rolls that prevented them from gaining the one resource that they needed, it doesn't speak to a well designed game by today's standards.

TL:DR - Catan was new and different on the American board gaming scene 20 years ago, but by today's standards it has been surpassed by many other games in terms of design.
>>
>>44496646

Anything I can get a group interested in and willing to play - I have a fairly broad collection and like anything from classic 'hex & chit' war-games to Euro / Ameri-trash games.

Buying more games and hopefully getting in more games with more people this year. I keep toying with the idea of starting a board gaming meetup group.

I'm currently waiting on Eminent Domain / Battlecruisers.

Hopefully hitting PAX East for the 6th year in a row.

Considering I have over 120 games in my collection, I could play 2 different games a week every week for a year and still not play them all - answer 'a lot'.

Ummm, I named her 'Michele'? Honestly short of making / buying dividers, buying Plano boxes, or going all out on a hand crafted wooden case, what else exactly can you do?
>>
Just got Nightfall. What expansions are worth grabbing after the base game?
>>
>>44542050

Honestly, they're all good because they all add more possible chains. The big boxes give you a variety of starter decks too. I think martial law was the one to introduce zombies, so I'd go with that one.
>>
>>44542505
I've seen Nightfall at the FLGS, but never played. Is there a good review / play through you'd recommend, or care to describe game play / story line and why you like it?
>>
>>44507550
I think I might buy Dominant Species in a few months, but I can't find it anywhere for a decent price.
>>
>>44538055
>Pandemic Legacy isn't even anywhere in the same fucking league as Twilight Struggle.

You're right. Not in the same league at all. Pandemic Legacy is so ridiculously far above, mainly because Pandemic is ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY.
>>
>>44542585

Sure, I can put you in the know.

Theme wise, if I recall correctly, all these typical monsters exist in the world, but they're hidden, sort of like World of Darkness. Well at some point the sun went down and never came back up, and said monsters took that as a sign to end the hidden occupation and go full on overt murder mode with humanity and each other.

On that note, the game doesn't really follow the theme a whole lot. The lovely art is there, but at the end of the day you're trying to get cards that interact with each other, and they could be a combination of anything. Not to say it's dry, but trying to stick with hunters (humans), vampires, or werewolves solely will result in you losing to others not sticking with the same restriction.

Anyways, point of the game is to be the one at the end of the game with the least amount of wounds. At the beginning of the game you start with a small starter deck and a private library of cards you can buy, and a public library in the center that everyone can buy from. Every turn you get static currency, but can discard cards for more, using currency to buy more cards.

What really makes the game fun is the chaining mechanic. Every card has a major and two minor lunar phase thingies. You play a card with a major color of red, minor color of blue and yellow. You can then play another card but the major color must be blue or yellow, then you can play another card that chains off the minor colors of the card you just played. You do this until you can no longer chain, then it goes around in a circle allowing other players to chain off what you started. Personally, it feels really satisfying getting the right cards in hand to pull off a crazy combo, but you have to pay attention to what other players are doing as well, because by playing cards you're giving them an opening.

Cards consist of what amounts to creatures and spells. Creatures damage/block, spells deal direct damage and all sort of other things.

Cont...
>>
>>44543041
>>44542585

Finally, I like the combat system, and specifically the combat phase, because it forces you to attack with your creatures. Once you've attacked, all of your attacking creatures are discarded. This is nice in that people who are normally wanting to avoid conflict for whatever reason don't have a choice, and because everything goes away once it attacks, nobody can just amass an army and sic it on someone at their whim.

It's a pvp deckbuilder with social elements once you go past 2 players. My only complaint with the game is that it makes some people EXTREMELY salty because of the whole social aspect.

For example, last time I played it, guy A with a large force was trying to bargain a truce with guy B because I was in the lead by a little bit. I had a substantial force myself. B asked me what was my counter offer. I told him that if he attacked me I would relentlessly counter attack, ensuring mutual loss in the game. He decided to remain neutral, game concluded, I think I won by having like 1 fewer wound in my deck than player B. He walked away not so subtly angry.

Idk, just a game mang, but yeah, you're going to get outcomes like that with people who can't handle pvp and I guess losing.
>>
>>44543185
>I told him that if he attacked me I would relentlessly counter attack, ensuring mutual loss in the game.
You sound like a shitty person.

>They're going to attack me?
>How dare they
>I BETTER MAKE SURE THEY LOSE
>>
>>44543227

So what your saying is I should be mute and lose a game with a goal that is to win?

Or are you saying you're just mad because you don't like losing games and people who actively try to win frustrate you?

I imagine we're dealing with the latter.
>>
>>44543323
You were going to purposefully attack the person beyond reason just to make sure he would lose if he attacked you. That's a shitty way to play. A counter attack is reasonable but beating both of you into the ground just to make sure he would lose makes you a piece of shit.

You also could have offered any number of other things or just taken the fucking hit from the attack and continued on trying to win.

Do you seriously have so much aspergers that you would hold a grudge in a game that's about attacking each other?

Don't be a kingmaker, don't be scum.
>>
>>44543388

>calling someone a sperg
>while getting this flustered

Read the story again. Read over the whole thing. You get one turn to attack and the everything is gone. I told player B that if he wants to 2v1 me, then I'm going to use my entire force solely on him. The 2v1 attack kills me. Not doing that does not automatically mean I win. Player A was trying to convince him that ganging up on me prevents me from winning, while leaving out the part that that would probably make him the winner. I reinforce the part about player B losing if he makes this deal because I will focus entirely on him. This isn't being a shit player, this is subtly attacking player A by threatening player B with vengeance for a perceived slight.

It would be like getting mugged in an alley, and loudly pointing out that it doesn't matter if you fall, your taking out a specific person in the group. Suddenly that confidence from being in a group is gone, and the chain weakens.

Oh hell what's the point, you're just wanting to be daft.
>>
File: 1250.jpg (44 KB, 648x445) Image search: [Google]
1250.jpg
44 KB, 648x445
Is there anything that's dark and gloomy out there?
I have Gloom second ed. and plan on picking up the second ed. expansions, but I'm pining for more.

I love dark and sad shit and the black humor and perfect artstyle makes Gloom a hard hitter for me.
But is there anything else like it as far as theme goes?

I know a cookie-cutter of Gloom called Cthulhu Gloom is out, but I don't feel anybody I play it with would appreciate it since all they know about Lovecraft is DUDE CTHULHU LMAO XXXD- that and I already have Gloom.

I've also been playing Don't Starve and if a board game for it ever releases, I'm buying it regardless of what mechanics it has.
>>
>>44543568

I guess you might try one of the Frozen Frog Games, maybe more B-movie than gloomy but it's something out there...

Maybe something from this list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156937/gallows-humor-board-games
>>
>>44543227
It's a game that has clear winner and loser dynamic; what was he supposed to do?

Or would you have him take his whippings like a field negro, all the while apologizing to massa and asking for more?
>>
>>44543810
>Enabling shit behavior, or samefagging
>>
>>44543568
Dead of Winter maybe.
And my group enjoys Cthulhu Gloom even if they don't understand all the references.
>>
>>44543860
>using threats to manipulate opponents
>shit behavior
>in a competitive game
Do you just play co-op's or something?
>>
>>44543525
DIfferent guy, but as a point of order, your terminology in the presentation of the story did NOT reflect what you're describing here.

Your line was "I would RELENTLESSLY counterattack, ensuring mutual loss."(emphasis mine) That makes it sound like you threatened to attack him, and only him, repeatedly for the rest of the game, As opposed to "Hey, he's doing this so that HE can win, so if you do that, I'll have nothing better left than to cripple you as well."

Saying "If you team up with him, we're both going to lose, because it'll be the only thing I have left to do." and "If you strike me, I will wreck you, out of spite" are two separate things, and can mean a lot about who you'd prefer to play with.

I honestly don't mind your threat, but I can see how someone would hear it or your initial description of it, and think "that guy sounds like he sucks to play with". Heck, this might boil down to a simple word choice: "ruthlessly" counter-attack would have been a less worrying word than "relentlessly", because the latter implies a continuing, irrational vendetta. And that's the kind of attitude you may not want to play with.

For instance, changing to general attitude issues, my friends and I were playing Eclipse on New Year's eve, and one of them invaded the other, destroying two of his systems. Which is a major blow, of course, but by no means an instant lose. Buy the proper developments, upgrade your existing fleet, you can recover. Especially when he did it with only two ships. But nope, the guy got sulky for the rest of the game, because he didn't bother to think: "Hey, Frank's got two cruisers on my borders, nowhere near the neutral enemies. I should make some defenses." That always frustrates me. If you get played in a game, you got played. Don't play every turn like we're your parents trying to make you eat broccoli. Take the loss, laugh it off, move on.
>>
What's the difference between Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror?
Which one would you recommend?

Also, I got Catan for christmas and my family has been really enjoying it. Do you think they would like Dominant Species or would that be too complicated? Should I go with 7 Wonders instead?
>>
>>44544579

The jump between Catan and Dominant Species is huge. It's a good game but takes some bookkeeping and that might not be for everyone. I assume that your family is inexperienced not stupid and if so Dominant Species isn't a hard game to get into after the first play - and the first play is only a matter of explaining all of the worker placement actions possible in a orderly matter and explaining the scoring system.

Haven't played 7 wonders so I don't know how it compares. Dominant Species is great.
>>
In today's news, don't play nightfall with only 3 players.

Also, be good to each other, and play to win.
>>
>>44544579
Arkham takes place in the town of Arkham and takes forever, due to having so many little mechanics all over the place. Eldritch takes place in the whole world and is streamlined because they combined all these Arkham mechanics into other ones. Also, they took out money and those goddamn stats sliders, which I'm very thankful for. On average, Eldritch is a couple hours shorter.
>>
>>44543568
Not strictly a board game, but you sound like you'd enjoy Fiasco
>>
>>44543568
You want thé Grizzled. Co-op ww1 game about bring régular Joe soldiers and trying to survive in the trenches.
>>
>>44544625
I'm really interested in Dominant Species, but looking around a bit at both games I think it would be best to go with 7 Wonders first.
What about Evolution, would that be a good one?

Yeah, my family is pretty inexperienced. Prior to Catan, the only games they really played were the basic stuff that everyone's played at least once like Monopoly and Scrabble. But now they seem very eager to try out some other games.

But honestly, I'm pretty inexperienced myself. Pretty much the most in depth game I own at the moment is The Legend of Drizzt.

I had some friends over Yesterday and we played Catan and Legend of Drizzt and they really enjoyed both games. Both of them aren't particularly experienced, but I can tell that we're all ready for much more in depth games.

Eldritch costs 23$ more than Arkham on Amazon, but fuck it if it's better I guess I'll go for it. But first I'll look around a bit more to see if I can find it cheaper.
>>
>>44544971
>But first I'll look around a bit more to see if I can find it cheaper.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com
http://www.miniaturemarket.com
http://www.cardhaus.com

And look at the Board Game Geek Bazaar too.
>>
>>44545095
Thanks a lot man, I'll look around on those sites.
>>
I often wonder why /tg/ seems to lack much interest in board games. yet at the same time i can see why a lot of people don't go for them.

Relative to RPGs they are expensive (the "good" ones are £50 a pop, or more), while an RPG can just be pirated, they require learning a new set of rules for each game, rather than just sticking to D&D or 40k, etc.

Pity, because i've had far more fun with boardgames than tabletop, and finding a constant RPG group is hell.
>>
>>44545265
Fuck, now I'm almost regretting getting into board games there's so much shit that I want.

Video games and books (and occasionally MTG) already take up a lot of my money now I have something else. Oh well, I'll probably only be buying something new every three or four months anyway.
>>
>>44545377
I prefer RPGs to board games myself, but not being able to keep together a group that can meet consistently makes board games a very good alternative.

And I've definitely spent more money on board games in three years than on RPGs in over a decade.
>>
>>44545392
Shit's tempting, innit? To get the most bang for your buck you gotta do some research, find theme and mechanics you enjoy. Don't get expansions til you've played a game enough to know you need more of it, and don't go hopping on a game's hype train, you may end up spending more than you expected for something you won't really enjoy or play. Trades and secondhand games are also worth a look. Promos, collectibles and out of print stuff are usually overpriced and not worth it.
>>
>>44545377
>Relative to RPGs they are expensive (the "good" ones are £50 a pop, or more),

While a GM's Guide / Players Handbook / Monster Manual / + modules + splat books + GM's Screen + campaign books (often all or mostly in hardback format) is how much again?

> while an RPG can just be pirated

You can't really pirate the chits, boards, cubes, meeples, and other items and simply print them out without it being as or more expensive than simply buying the game. Printing out a few charts and some copies of Character Sheets is pretty easy.

>>44545392
>I'll probably only be buying something new every three or four months anyway.

And doing some research on youtube / board game geek can go a long way to making sure you get games you'll be satisfied with rather than regretting your purchase. If you can't try it before you buy it - you can at least review it first.
>>
Hey /bgg/. Have any of you tried to make a board game? I have enough ideas and germs of ideas that I think I want to try churning a few out. If any of you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>44545392
It's definitely costly, but you can build up a very respectable collection on the cheap if you buy wisely. Watch the news sections of Board Game Breakfast, and the Week In Review each week; Dice Tower reviews are very subjective but it'll keep you up to date on what's out. Read loads of reviews, when something looks interesting go to your LGS on board game night or hit up a meetup and ask around, good chance someone will have it and be willing to play.

Build up a buy list, and be obsessive about it, mark up the # of players, recommended player count on BGG (this is a much better # than what publishers give you), play time, weight (again BGG), MSRP, Amazon price (prolly closest to market value), CSI/MM price, BGG avg price for a used copy. Once you've played it, add your own rating/buy priority to that game. Update prices every couple months and keep it on your phone/printed out for cons.

Speaking of CSI/MM remember that a lot of OGS will allow you to make multiple smaller purchases, set for in store pickup, then once you clear the free shipping threshold have them sent all at once. Also when it comes to OGS remember the hobby stores will ensure your games arrive in great shape, Amazon will add a few air packs and have a much greater chance of dented boxes. Returning games multiple times ends up a bigger pain than just paying more to have them shipped right the first time.
>>
>>44546693
2/3

Wait for local cheap/free cons and go demo everything you can. Chat up the vendors the first/second day, most are LGS owners who close up for the weekend, and come back at the end of the weekend. If you're friendly to them and come by once or twice looking at the same few items they'll usually cut you a deal rather than haul stuff back to the store. Bigger cons this is a little harder since vendors won't always remember you; but you can still knock a couple bucks off items, or convince them to pay the tax if they aren't already. Cons also have tons of giveaways, raffles, and depending on the person running an event, prizes for participation winning. Hang onto those, even just the promos.

Math trades, and the BGG market, get to know them and spend a lot of time browsing. Those promos/giveaways/etc are great fodder for trading away to get smaller games. No-ship trades are the best as you'll get more bang/buck. In the last year I traded away a copy of one game I won for playing Hanabi at a con for Elder Sign. $2 to get rid of something taking up space on my shelf, and get a simple dice chucker that actually hits the table. Dungeon Fighter promo from Iello for a free demo ended up being worth $15, and another $2 spent on a demo for Splendor got me Dixit promos, and another $20 on the BGG market.

Used games can be found on BGG, but often close to MSRP, so it'll take a lot of digging. Customize your front page to put auction lists at the top, and read through each one daily, subscribe to any item you're interested in, just keep to that buy list price, and remember to include shipping, which is bound to be at least $10-15. Ebay has lots of games posted every day too, so keep your eyes open. Don't be afraid to offer under a BIN/soft reserve, lots of gamers want to buy new stuff and if their old games aren't being played will take some money over nothing.
>>
>>44546710
3/3

Avoid Kickstarter completely; it's a great tool but if you want best bang for your buck it's never going to win. If the game ends up being great you'll be able to find it easily, if it's good but polarizing (miniatures hit this a lot) you'll find a lot of people on BGG looking to unload their copies. Remember they often overpaid on KS for exclusives so you will be gouged, just wait for the hype to die out.

That might be the biggest part, get games after the hype is over. If a game is released/demo'd at Gencon/Essen, wait til next spring to play it, and then the next summer to buy it. There will be loads of copies available, it'll still be reasonably fresh, and you won't have to pay inflated prices. A lot of stores hold major sales during conventions, (Amazon/CSI/B&N discount huge during Gencon) so if you can wait a year you'll likely get that new hotness later than everyone else but save a bundle too.
>>
>>44546724

>Avoid Kickstarter completely

Eh, it's more like do your research. CMON does great kickstarters where you get a crap ton of stuff. Smaller companies can screw you over, like with Yashima, where I'm still waiting on my copy with expansions, but the game is already for sale, and during the holidays it was like 20 bucks on Amazon and a lot of people were pissed because they spent like 60-80 on a pledge.
>>
>>44547080
CMoN does give a load of stuff in their kickstarters (I actually loathe their exclusives policy and won't buy anything from them based on that) and the amount of top tier games they've released in the last year is very impressive. That said KS is still always a loss when you're looking to get into the hobby and get best bang/buck. If your money is tied up for months in something you've not even had the chance to demo, then you aren't learning more about yourself and your group and what you like. If you're just starting out, or on a tight budget it's best to demo, buy, and repeat until you either have a large enough budget to wait 6 months on a purchase hitting your table, or you KNOW that it's a game you want (expansions/reimplement of a game you already love).
>>
>>44546121
>While a GM's Guide / Players Handbook / Monster Manual / + modules + splat books + GM's Screen + campaign books (often all or mostly in hardback format) is how much again?
You can play without at least half of that. I played D&D in high school with just the three base manuals, one scenario (everything after that was selfmade) and a couple cardboards tape together for a GM screen. Add some dice (we shared two sets for a while) and we had a game going for years for maybe 200$ split in 4.

>You can't really pirate the chits, boards, cubes, meeples, and other items and simply print them out without it being as or more expensive than simply buying the game. Printing out a few charts and some copies of Character Sheets is pretty easy.
That's his point. Nowadays you can just pirate the manuals and all you need to physically make or acquire is paper, pencils, dice, and optionally some minis. Heck, if you have tablets or laptops you can even use digital dice rollers and eschew some of the paper. You can get a ton of mileage out of this hobby with just a few bucks.
>>
>>44546566
Sure have. I have one "finished" prototype (I don't intend to publish it), an old one I'm revisiting soon, and several ideas and notes scattered around.

I don't have much time now for detailed advice, but check out the Meeple Syrup Show on YouTube (especially the first 20 episodes I guess) for an informative and entertaining look into game design from the designers' perspective.

Check out sites like The Game Crafter when you're ready to print an advanced prototype (there are others, but I've been using TGC without issues). But keep in mind you'll be iterating a lot, so don't be too eager to spend your money.

Board Game Geek also has a forum for game designers where you can playtest other games and get feedback on your own.

Depending on your format, software like Tabletop Simulator or Tabletopia (not yet released) can be very useful to test your game without reprinting parts all the time. Even LackeyCCG was useful for me since I was designing a card-based game, but it doesn't handle anything other than cards and chat-based dice rolls, so you may need to be creative with it.

(cont.)
>>
Hey /bgg/ I need your help. Last time I was at my LGS I saw a bunch of people playing a game. I have no idea what it is but it looked cool and I had to leave before I could ask what it was. They were all really into it and I didn't want to disturb them.

>There were 8 players
>Looked to be a card game
>Looked like one player was the "king"
>He was debating with the other players on who to send on what quests
>From the sounds of it one or more players were evil and were trying to kill other players
>One player kept talking about shit that happened and speculating on who was evil and how to split the players up on quests
>Game lasted for longer than an hour

I got interested because of just how into it they were. Sometimes they would talk for 10 minutes before doing anything.
>>
>>44546566
>>44547328
Iterate a lot. Play your prototype as soon as you can. You'll find a lot of things that sounded good on paper but are broken, tedious or should be simplified in practice.

Try to play against yourself at first, to avoid wearing out your friends with broken rules that change every time they play.

Since you'll be iterating a lot, do NOT focus on aesthetics. Do NOT commission artwork. Do not waste too much time on graphics or graphic design. Stickmen are perfectly fine for testing, and as long as your info is clear, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Focus on your rules. Make them clear, follow the order used by your other games (aim of the game, contents, steps of a turn, etc.). Don't try to add style or humor to them at first (if at all), just get to the point, because 1) they will change a lot and 2) your playtesters, if you're lucky enough to have any, just want to know how to play.

This is my Guild Wars 2-inspired rule. For EVERY part of your game, ask yourself two things:
- Is this *fun*? You're making a game. Don't get too caught up in realism and such (how much is too much depends on the kind of game and its audience). Don't get overly attached to mechanics you loved when you came up with them. If they fuck with the rest of your game in its current form, suck it up and get rid of them - or completely redesign the rest of your game around them if you must, because you took a wrong turn along the way.

- Does this encourage the kind of behavior I want players to have? You're creating an experience first and foremost. If your game gives benefits for backstabbing others, players WILL backstab every time they can. If the most efficient way to progress is through cooperation, they WILL cooperate.

I don't have time for more, but if you tell us more about your ideas, I'll try to give more focused advice later. But honestly, I'm just rehashing everything I've learned from Meeple Syrup and confirmed through experience, so watch it.
>>
File: 1-SOC.jpg (6 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
1-SOC.jpg
6 MB, 4608x3456
>>44547727
Shadows over Camelot?
>>
>>44547727
Probably shadows over camelot.
>>
>>44547727

If it's was a card game, might be The Resistance or Avalon, but I can't imagine that taking an hour too often
>>
>>44496646
Little bit of everything. Played Blood Rage, Hanabi, Mr. Jack Pocket, TI3, Imperial Settlers, Cthulhu Realm, T.I.M.E. Stories, and I got my ass handed to me by my eight year old niece in Splendor yesterday.
7th Continet, Seafall and probably alot I can't remember now.
7th Continent.
Yes. Haninge Fantasy Games as well as a few other cons.
I have no Idea. Nations maybe?
Nope.
>>
>>44545392
Playing with a group of friends helps. We have a rule to not buy the same game unless we *really* want it... so between us it spreads the cost out a lot.
>>
>>44532425
>XIA LEGENDS
>Why do you not own this yet?
Horrible roll and move and poor production values and numbers handling. That's why. Some people like it though, I can't stand it though.
>>
>>44548135
>poor production values
Prepainted minis, translucent plastic cubes, and metal coins aren't generally associated with that. Is some of the cardboard crappy or something?
>>
>>44548359

Yeah that's a really odd stance for the game
>>
>>44496646
What are your guy's thoughts on zombie dice and monopoly?
>>
>>44548523
Monopoly is reviled.
Zombie dice is alright as a beer and pretzels quick filler, but samey after a while
>>
>>44548359
Poorly designed baubles and a grafic design looking decades out of date. It's not a good game or a good production.

The coins are nifty though even if I personaly don't feel that metal coins really belong in board games, unless the gameplay and theme really features the coins and their physical use.

Not a fan of the mechanics or the production (all over the place with little coherency).
>>
>>44548523
What >>44548617 said. Not even the kids at work (youth center) likes monopoly or zombie dice any more after we've introduced them to som many other games to chose from.
>>
>>44548739
Gotcha. I find the 80's scifi paperback art endearing, but that's pretty subjectove.
>>
>>44548617
Is this a good list of board games I should get?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-eKPAlqGE

>>44548766
What are some good games I can play with my bros, is there a chart?
>>
>>44496646

Well, I played Risk: StarWars Edition today, the one that has no Risk mechanics and is a game based on the Battle of Endor. I'm so happy this little piece of Ameritrash exists.
Star Wars Rebellion maybe. Other than that I really can't wait for expansions to Runebound 3rd Edition and Warhammer Quest Card Game.
I don't bother with Kickstarter board games. Too many good games at retail to try to wade my way though the junk of KS to find a jem or two.
Not really, just play more games. There is a convention coming up in April I may or may not go to, its small but might be fun. Essen isn't until October so thats nothing I start looking forward to now.
Too many to name. But why worry when I'll play hundreds of new and old games as well.
Oh yeah, hundreds of times. Its a common thing for me. if we're talking just about the box, I typically make foamcore inserts for every game I enjoy, and If I really like it and feel it can be improved with a component upgrade I'll do that. Find replacement tokens, upgraded card stock, cool real world items, minis to replace cardboard chits, etc.
>>
>>44548821
Nick Sibicky's good - but there's no guarantee that his taste = your taste in games. Not to mention, why not watch his to 50 Board Games from 2015?
>>
>>44548821
You should get whatever you enjoy, not let other people's tastes and opinions dictate what you buy or don't buy. Dig around, read/watch reviews. BGG is your friend.
>>
>>44549267
>>44549503
well i have fun playing monopoly with a group of guys but I think its getting a bit boring. I even change up the rules to mix it up but I want to try other games and see what i might be missing out.
>>
File: 2944548734_bc54b076f9.jpg (157 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
2944548734_bc54b076f9.jpg
157 KB, 500x283
>>44504717
Sounds good to me
>>
>>44496646

I have spent the last 2 weeks playing 7 Wonders: Duel and Morels with my fiance its been good

Halfling Feast full release in March

No

Nah

Space Hulk, as ever...

Not yet
>>
>>44520928
>I also have no idea how to introduce Castles of Mad King Ludwig for a play either
>Hay guys want to make some CRAZY castles?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (803 KB, 1512x2148) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
803 KB, 1512x2148
Thoughts on agricola?
>>
>>44549585
I generally don't like cross-site posting, but if you dismiss the sheep, leddit's /r/boardgames has some nice resource pages

try /r/boardgames/wiki/wsig
>>
>>44549835
Popular among hardcore eurofags for a reason.

One supposes, anyways.
>>
>>44549835
>Uwe Rosenberg needs to stop making the same game over and over. He peaked with this one. That being said, I've totally burned it out, and when I want my worker placement fix I turn to Lords of Waterdeep and Alien Frontiers.
>>
>>44549835
Haven't played, but I like Caverna a lot.
>>
>>44532810
Actually the roll to move is practically ineffectual. Your ship's impulse (free move) is between 2 and 4. You can arm your engines up to 3 times per turn. Rolling 3d6+2 is quite common right at the start and you tend to move about 12 per turn which is 2 sectors. Upgrading it let's you just scamper across the galaxy.

No, there are much more legit issues like shields making it so players can basically never die from other players (this affects some title cards, assassin missions and getting their bounty) so this is a MUST houser house rule if you're not all eurogamers. Also the minor itch of smuggling missions being too risky but you can just drop the fail rate to 1-4 like every other thing.

Apparently the shields ate out of hand because backers felt they weren't good enough. Here's my rule: when you use shields, you cannot re-arrange unless you place 1 damage on a shield unit for each arm marker you want back in addition to the normal energy cost. At the end of the attacker's turn, you can move that damage off the shields to another space once. I tried *everything * else. Doubling the energy cost to rearm, removing an arm space from each shield, lowering their die faces, nothing works except this. This guarantees damage and shields get used. However if another player attacks you (different one) you re arm for free. This was to keep with the backers findings that ganging up on a player spells doom. Also it's flavorful since having more shield units means less damage to your ship.

I put 12 hours of testing into this rule so far.
>>
>>44550724
>12 hours of testing into a houserule for a game you played for the first time yesterday.
HOW

Also do you guys use representations in TI3? Using SA's assembly where up to four political cards can get voted on in one round, I found it just went too long, and made assassinations even more swingy.
>>
>>44550931
>representations
I've had enough, Autocorrect dies now.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.