[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you draw the line between your DM being challenging,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: NoBully.jpg (12 KB, 243x311) Image search: [Google]
NoBully.jpg
12 KB, 243x311
Where do you draw the line between your DM being challenging, and your DM being a bully?

>Your group gets ambushed by hobgoblins despite you getting fairly good rolls while scouting
>The hobgoblins mock you whenever you miss an attack
>The hobgoblins are all magically resistant to your particular weapons and abilities
>The hobgoblins all focus their attacks solely on you
>They capture you after you're knocked out, dragging you away from the rest of the party
>The rest of the party is unable to follow, despite getting good rolls
>You're tied up in the hobgoblin's lair, where the hobgoblins wait for you to become conscious before proceeding to take turns insulting you
>They take each of your magical items, and break them in front of you
>The hobgoblins start insulting your character in ways that you are personally sensitive about since you share those particular traits
>The hobgoblins blind and cripple your character
>The hobgoblins eat your favorite food in front of you, and never offer you any
>Your party finally manages to find you, but are magically compelled to join in making fun of you
>Both the hobgoblins and your party start singing a very mean song about how much no one likes you
>All of this happens on your birthday
>>
File: 1430334528589.gif (2 MB, 450x390) Image search: [Google]
1430334528589.gif
2 MB, 450x390
>they eat your favorite food in front of you

That's where I draw the line.
>>
>The hobgoblins are all magically resistant to your particular weapons and abilities

I don't know if it's bullying, but I hate that more than anything.
>>
>>44486176
>despite you getting fairly good rolls

Please stop this. You are not entitled to success just because you think you rolled well. That's not how games work.
>>
>The hobgoblins all focus their attacks solely on you.
I draw the line about there, unless you're playing a defensive class, in which case I draw the line here:
>The rest of the party is unable to follow, despite getting fairly good rolls.
And given that:
>All of this happens on your (the player's) birthday
It would take me a DC30 Will Save not to
>all focus my attacks on the motherfucking DM.
>>
>>44486625
Then what's the point of having a system where rolls gauge the success of an action? It's entitlement to assume a "good roll" means some degree of success or at least not total failure?
>>
>>44486625
With that in mind, if this story actually happened, what were the rolls?
If on a natural 15 or 16 (for example), the party ranger can't track a group of hobgoblins, then it's bullshit.
>>
>>44486668
Opposed rolls you fucking retard. You're rolling against their stealth check, or the DC set by the DM, which may be considerably higher if they have very good hiding positions. Again, your "feelings" on how good your rolls are don't matter.

>>44486674
>If on a natural 15 or 16 (for example), the party ranger can't track a group of hobgoblins, then it's bullshit.
What if they hobgoblins rolled better than he did?
>>
>>44486625
All it means is that the DM made a decision to not lean in the favor of the dice. You're not entitled success, certainly, but it shows that the DM thought that you should fail beyond the usual expectations of the dice determining the results of typical actions.
>>
>>44486722
Fair point.

However, >>44486176 never mentions the hobgoblins rolling anything in response. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but given that this DM set up a whole encounter just to piss off one person, I don't think his first thought was "oh, better roll the dice to make sure my evil plan works."
>>
>>44486625
Apparently you didn't read the post, Virt. Also you know that evading bans is against the rules, right?
>>
>>44486625
>>44486722

I think I found your DM op.
>>
>>44486674
>With that in mind, if this story actually happened,

Is a story like this even plausible? I mean, up to getting captured I could believe it, but at the point where everyone is singing how much they hate you is where I have to cast my doubts.
>>
>>44486176
At first I was thinking string of bad luck, but then I saw this...

>They capture you after you're knocked out, dragging you away from the rest of the party
>The rest of the party is unable to follow, despite getting good rolls
>You're tied up in the hobgoblin's lair, where the hobgoblins wait for you to become conscious before proceeding to take turns insulting you
>They take each of your magical items, and break them in front of you
>The hobgoblins start insulting your character in ways that you are personally sensitive about since you share those particular traits
>The hobgoblins blind and cripple your character
>The hobgoblins eat your favorite food in front of you, and never offer you any
>Your party finally manages to find you, but are magically compelled to join in making fun of you
>Both the hobgoblins and your party start singing a very mean song about how much no one likes you
>All of this happens on your birthday

To be honest if this is your friends' way of telling you happy birthday, tell them to fuck off and get new friends. You play these games to have fun, not get hazed like some sort of Frat initiation.

They give gamers a bad name.

Triggered level: Nuclear
>>
>>44486840
>>44486859
Please don't bully.
>>
>>44486625
>Please stop this. You are not entitled to success just because you think you rolled well. That's not how games work.

On one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, it's the sign of a weak GM who can't figure out a way to accommodate a PC's good roll into the narrative they wish to express.
>>
>>44486176
>things that never happened
>>
>>44486176
I really hope this didn't happen, otherwise you need to get new friends.
>>
I want my character to be kidnapped so my knight husbando comes to save me

It sounded like fine story fodder until your stuff got broken and the group was magically compelled to ridicule you
>>
>Dumb, androgynous healer gets kidnapped by orc.
>We have to go save him, again.
>Kill some orcs, storm the cave, kill the chieftain.
>Only prize waiting is the healer, who's now chained to the wall in underwear.

If there's no other loot, might as well enjoy what there is, right? It's not bullying, it's called being rewarded.
>>
>>44487402
It's actually called sociopathic.
>>
>tfw DM and fellow player colluded to massively NTR my character in game to see how much she could take
>>
>>44487904

Are you the LG fighter girl who got cucked by the bard?
>>
>>44487983
You know it.
>>
>>44486176
> focus all their attacks on you

Nope. I call it there.
>>
>>44488150

I'm sorry. That story still makes me feel bad.
>>
>>44486176
Here's to (you)
>>
>>44488488
No problem, it still makes me feel bad too.
>>
>>44487402
You messed up.
>>
>>44487983
Screencap?
>>
>>44486840
Meh. Guy got a new IP. Even if it is virt mods won't ban him cause they won't be able to prove it's him.
>>
>>44491015

Don't have one, sorry; it was kind of scarred on my heart so I didn't feel the need. Maybe >>44488556 has it still.
>>
>>44491306
I didn't save a screencap, but I could short summarize. I'm pretty sure it would still be in the archive though, I just can't remember what the topic of that specific thread was.
>>
>>44491348

Found the archive but I'm on phone so screen capping the whole thing is a bit difficult
>>44408705
>>
>>44486886
sweet jesus
>>
What did you do to make them so max at you OP?
>>
>>44495963
Invented Comic Sans.
>>
File: 1448632042188.png (98 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1448632042188.png
98 KB, 540x405
>>44496436

Heretics
>>
File: Extreme Anger.jpg (217 KB, 728x661) Image search: [Google]
Extreme Anger.jpg
217 KB, 728x661
>>44491539
>>44491348
This fills me with rage.

I would've murdered the two of them in the most painful of ways.

Except I could not have done it because of being a fucking martial class. I mean seriously, it's like asking to get fucked!
>>
>>44486722
The dice aren't the end-all-be-all, but a good DM doesn't disregard rolls unless he's got a good reason to.

And, the players' feelings on rolls are important, alongside a player's feelings in general.
>>
>>44498153
Partly I wanted to be better than then, partly I didn't want to mess up the game because I thought the DM was going somewhere with it.

>>44498205
But then my character would have been wanted for murder.
>>
>>44501708

If I'm honest, I have to ask: so what? Wouldn't murdering them be completely and utterly justifiable given the cirumstances? It's not like the DM was setting you up for a fall, they fucked you over quite literally at every turn.

Would it really have been out of character to murder the two of them and then find someone who actually gives a shit about you to settle down with?
>>
>>44501783
For my character it kind of would have been out of character to snap and murder them, yeah. Besides, because it seemed pretty magical realm at times, I had the feeling that the DM would hit back harder.

The elf bard player later made a case that my character should have been able to hold onto her man better, but said it was within reason to kill at least her.
>>
>>44501891

Within reason? Really? You mean actively ruining someone else's marriage and completely fucking over their entire life -- which results in, iirc, being kicked out of the village you were helping -- killing her is just 'within reason'?

Not completely justified? I'm sorry, I really am, because this just sounds utterly buttfucking insane to me that anyone could have this lackadaisical attitude about casually ruining someone's life like that.

Like, the assessment about 'should've been able to hold onto my man better' is, at least potentially sensible. I'm just baffled why you stuck with that whole shitfest at all. Even for someone who likes their greek tragedies, i can't fathom sitting through that shite and not snapping.

You're a more patient man than I.
>>
>>44501891
They got your kid killed, bro. And if you think for a second that being LG means you have to be browbeaten enough to let that slide, you're wrong.

If you want to be a doormat or play one fine, but don't insinuate the capital G is the cause.
>>
>>44502042
I think I said in the prior thread, partly I didn't want to mess up any plans I'd thought the DM with the situation, I didn't know at the time it was just messing with me. Also I didn't think it would last that long so I could sit through it, and to be fair it didn't last that long. For what it was worth after, it was some strong backstory added to my character.
>>
OP Probably made a special-snowflake character and worked really hard to earn that hate.
>>
I used to do this to Min/Maxer or overly optimized person to get us to play anything other than Pathfinder. It's really hard to work with an outlier.

...It worked. We play 5E now, and the Min/Maxer cooled his jets after I introduced him to a REAL Min/Maxers group.
>>
>>44488172
So you feel you're being bullied when the enemy is smart enough to focus fire?
>>
>>44503679
Question. Are you still playing with those shitbags?

If yes, why?
>>
>>44503839
I am, yes. They're the only group around I have to play in. And normally they're not bad, this time they just went out of their way to be. The DM was doing some sort of challenge issued by a podcast, to pick on a player and see how long it could last.
>>
>>44503866
I don't know if I would want to play with them anymore after what they would've put my character thorough to be honest.

I hope it works out for you man.
>>
>>44503897
Well this was about six months ago now. Really the only time in the group I've felt uncomfortable or singled out like that.
>>
>>44486176

Your DM doesn't care for the difference between IC and OOC knowlege. THAT'S where I draw a line.
>>
File: 1450485988968.jpg (10 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
1450485988968.jpg
10 KB, 420x315
You know sometimes I felt bad. I've always been a fan of D&D style videogames. I loved both neverwinter nights. But I never played an actual D&D tabletop. So I felt bad. Because it's the interactions that were so interesting, eventually combat itself becomes boring in any game. But I never had a chance to join an actual game with actual people. So I felt bad. But every time I come. Every time. There's some fucking NTR greentext. Every time. As if all these people ever did was huddle around a table, pretend they played as their stupid naked waifus, then raped each other in their little heads. That's literally all it is, a bunch of fat greasy neckbeards sat round a table imagining that they're raping each other if they were women. So now I don't feel so bad.
>>
>>44503805
Focus fire is kind of an unnatural process that's pretty meta. It works in games, but real creatures wouldn't fight that way.
>>
>>44504231
You describe a small vocal minority.
>>
>>44507127
A minority that spend most of their time online, and haven't really tt'd before.
>>
>>44501891
I don't think I'll ever see a greater pushover. At the very fucking least the REST of the party should've done them in for you. Getting your child killed then basically accusing you of attempting the same when you do quasi-snap is fucking ridiculous.

If you can justify any of this happening, all I can recommend is that you find another group.

This will happen again, and they'll do it simply because you're too good-natured for your own good. Never thought I could call a player themselves Stupid Good before today.
>>
>>44507466
Some of the guys in the group wanted to help, but since the bard player was also a girl they said they didn't want to get involved. If they try to do something like it again though and give me such a hard time, I won't just sit through it again.
>>
>>44507608
So fucking what? If one player is willing to conspire with the DM to make another ridiculously uncomfortable, they don't deserve to be spared their fates just because they're a girl. There is something seriously wrong with your group and this event, even if it's out of nowhere, is something that should be reacted on.

At the very least tell me this isn't a real life group. And if it is, for your sake, look into Roll20. You might find more magical realm shit out there but at least most of it won't be done at your expense.
>>
>>44507673
No it was IRL. The bard player got a kick out of sitting across from me and having a laugh while constantly jabbing at me in-game.
>>
>>44507716
Use Roll20. Find a new online group. Play a few games with people who probably are weird but aren't insane assholes.

Next time you go to their game after that, rip your sheet up and tell the DM and that player to go fuck themselves like they likely are and cut all contact with the whole fucking group. Yes regardless of how long you've know them. Yes regardless of how many of them are your "best friends."

Stop taking absolute bullshit just because you think it's your only option, this is the sort of shit people end up dying working dead end jobs over, but you're not even getting paid for this garbage.
>>
>>44491539
'Aight, real talk, I don't care what the law says, or how you feel about it yourself, people who do that shit need to be taken into bedroom and beaten until they realise that that kind of behavior is so far out of line, that it makes everyone else want to kill them.
>>
>>44503963
I don't care what sort of challenge it is, acting that way is failing in your duty as a DM. My own alignment aside, it's breaking the cardinal rule of "Make sure everyone is included and having fun". Past that point, you're not a DM, you're a dook-loving tosspot. He/she better have at least have had the shame and moral fibre to appologise
>>
>>44507091
Perhaps in the world we live in, but in the games where people continue to fight at full functionality until unconscious, it makes sense that people would focus until a foe is down, rather than leaving as many people up and fighting as possible
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.