[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy Skirmish Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: 1436967689269.jpg (107 KB, 873x627) Image search: [Google]
1436967689269.jpg
107 KB, 873x627
What skirmish games are you playing /tg/?
>>
>>44482382
Frostgrave is a pretty cool game, kind of like Mordenheim but with Wizards acting like a Warcaster/Warlock from Warmahordes
>>
File: Song of Blades and Heroes 5th.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Song of Blades and Heroes 5th.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Song of Blades and Heroes.

Great little system. Simple enough for someone like me who can't be bothered with complex rules and seperate army books and all that any more. I play with a mix of Heroquest, LotR and Reaper Bones.

Plenty of expansions too, aside from the typical campaign/dungeons/etc expansions, Song of Drums and Shakos won a lot of awards for its depiction of Napoleonic skirmishes.
>>
File: warband_01.jpg (123 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
warband_01.jpg
123 KB, 800x500
>>44482434

And please spread this Revised 5th Edition, it's much clearer than the 2008 4th Edition that gets posted everywhere.
>>
>>44482460
what's the difference between 4th and 5th edition?
>>
>>44482592

Not much at all, but the language is a lot clearer in the newer edition, he's Spanish IIRC and wasn't so good at english back then. Since the the system is admittedly quite simple, it's really important that you properly understand the mechanics.
>>
Could try Wrath of Kings.
Who doesn't wanna watch fat chicks fight jellyfish people and vampires?
>>
>>44482382
Frostgrave. It's not perfect, but Mordheim was far worse... and both give a glorious game. I love Frostgrave.

Also Moldvay Basic. Makes for a fun dungeon fight.
>>
>>44482382
The last game I played was anima tactics but there are not many guys who play it.
>>
Age of Sigmar. And I'm not afraid to admit it.
>>
>>44482638
he's italian. also he really needs to hire someone to re-do the layout and formatting of his fucking games, this shit is unreadable
>>
>>44482382
1pFS - https://onepagerules.wordpress.com/portfolio/one-page-skirmish/
>>
>>44482826

I wouldn't say it's unreadable, some poor choices of layout I agree, but it's only mildly infuriating.
>>
Has anybody got experience with Gripping Beast Arabs? How well do they work for conversions/kitbashing?

I want to put together an Eastern themed warband for Frostgrave, since they come with 40 models in a box I will use the rest as a regiment of mercenary spearmen for Kings of War or something.
>>
>>44483095
Manufacterers in filename.

Lotr also has some eastern models that would work well for an Arabian warband.
Personally I have a handful of Reaper and Hell Dorado sculpts because I had a similar idea.
>>
>>44483277
Aren't the LOTR plastics monopose?

Thanks for the photo though, the gripping beast guy seems reasonably in scale with the Frostgrave Soldiers, should make turning them into adventurers easier.
>>
File: The Dreamer's Crew.jpg (219 KB, 1584x1166) Image search: [Google]
The Dreamer's Crew.jpg
219 KB, 1584x1166
>>44482382
Malifaux.
>>
>>44483452
>Aren't the LOTR plastics monopose?
Yeah for the most part they are.
But they usually come with spears, shields and swords and shields.
Since spears count as handweapons with no special rules you can use those as lowly mooks and or convert them in two handed weapon wielding guys like templars and such.
All in all a few hand swaps can get you a lot of mileage out of those monopose kits I recon.
You also have these big harem guard guys and derwish fighters in the miniature lines if you want to fill those special slots with nicer minis though.

The reason I brought it up is because the LotR minis look usually like they are very well dressed for colder climates like you'd want them to in Frostgrave assuming you go with the setting.
Apart from the corsairs all the eastern designs usually wear capes and such.

Just thought I'd mention it. Food for thought anyway.
I have a box of Fireforge Men at Arms so I have something like 20 spare crossbows and such kicking around anyway, I don't really have to worry about specific armament of the minis since I plan to convert most of them anyway.
>>
>>44482434
That looks pretty cool. How doe army building work in that game? Can I just take any creature from any faction and put thjem in the same army? Or are there restrictions.
>>
>>44483886
That is a good point.

I will give them a closer look as well then.
>>
Anybody know of a good halfling thief model?
>>
>>44484017

Basically yes, I mean I use the profiles for all sorts of things as long as it roughly fits, like last week I used my Fimir as Lion Warriors or something as it fit them better than a Human Warrior.

The book itself says you can either have a free-for-all, or restrict a warband to one or more races, so you could have Dwarfs vs. Orcs with Ogres and some Giant Bugs kicking around.

>>44484342

The Mordheim one was lovely but it's as rare as hen's teeth.
>>
>>44482382
I still plzy Confrontation with a bunch of oldfags at the club.

We're thinking about starting up a Mordheim "campaign" but we'd need a dedicated table for that.
>>
>>44484742
I remember buying the Confrontation starter set this Black Friday for only $12. Haven't actually played it, but the rules seem like fun.
>>
Has anybody tried running Frostgrave with 2D10 to make it less swingy?
>>
>>44482382
I'm playing a pretty new game called Twelve Elements of War which I really enjoy (okay, to be honest I haven't played it nearly as much as I'd like, but still).

It's kinda like Mordheim but more straight-forward. It also has a cool magic system when you can pick from one of the twelve elements of magic to outfit your magic users with. You can also make a bunch of magic items based on the right circumstances.

It's a campaign based game where one of the gimmicks is that there is no human faction, orc faction, etc., but each faction has a variety of races living within it's borders and you can mix and match your warband however you want (you can have all dwarfs or a goblin, a human, two orcs, etc.).

I like it a lot and would like to see it become more popular. You can see a short demo of the rules on their website.

http://www.swordandboardgames.com.au/downloads.html
>>
>>44484742
Why "campaign"?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.