[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /tg/ go about constructing a demonic and/or Lovecraftian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
How would /tg/ go about constructing a demonic and/or Lovecraftian realm in a Medieval setting?
>>
>>44463720

Dragons are shoggoths
>>
>>44463720
Do you mean a whole setting that's medieval + lovecraftian imagery? Or more like a demonic/lovecraft-looking part of a medieval setting, like a plane of madness or something?
>>
>>44463720
Just throw in whatever I think is creepy and unnerving without much thought and let the PCs fill in the blanks.
>>
you mean medieval as in proper medieval or just fantasy? Because fantasy settings often have some lofecraftian elements including TES and Warcraft
>>
>>44463720
Something ala Berserk and the Eclipse World
>>
File: 1451023257025.jpg (221 KB, 609x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451023257025.jpg
221 KB, 609x1200
>>44463720
Bloodbornes setting, or something along its lines.
An Anon was posting a neato homebrew inspired by it, but I can't get it to upload.
>>
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 1136x640
>>44463720
Here you go op

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzuzqu5rm5o
>>
File: 1369421972667.png (2 MB, 1280x1804) Image search: [Google]
1369421972667.png
2 MB, 1280x1804
Do a "Colour Out of Space" scenario
focusing heavily on the poor ignorant people living near the ever expanding area of the Colour
>subtle super natural weather effects
>bizarre behavior of animals
>people slowly going insane
>slight mutation of the plant and animal life
>sightings of indescribable almost invisible creature
>>
>>44463813
Berserk is more like Clive Barker's stories than Lovecraft one
>>
>>44463720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjF7rMhxNhg
>>
>>44463720
First I would try and make contact with an outer or demonic entity (I'm assuming outer but it should be easy to rework this for demonic) then I would work to spread it's influence. Now I don't expect that the rest of the setting will be ok with this so I need to be above suspicion or beneath notice, as rich evil lords are boring let's say I'm a street urchin who cut a deal with something that promised to look after him.
A large cult will attract too much notice so I need to work alown but that means I get to call most of the shots.
Step 1 is getting rid of night time be replacing the part time sun with sky blue fire. (I don't like the dark)
>>
>>44463741
Both a plane of madness and a city (outside of the plane of madness) infected by said realm.
>>
>>44463720
1. Obtain knowledge beyond the ken of mortal men
2. I can't help you from here, this shit makes no sense.
>>
>>44463844
>"medieval" art
>uses modern perspective techniques
>>
File: West of Sarba.jpg (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
West of Sarba.jpg
1 MB, 1024x768
>>44463720
Well, I had them invade the world, and the resulting mess was the first "world war" the planet ever had.

A little bit of demonic invasion, areas drained of the six elements in minor or greater degree, womb harvesting and some level of bubonic plague unrest and so on for a decade.

They left after having their fun, and because their savior which rescued them from a pocket dimension/cosmic garbage can was busted by heroes.

Pic shows the Restless Lands, the blotch of grey visible from orbit which never recovered from the invasion.
>>
>>44467213
Not that guy but here you go
>>
>>44465250
Well, bloodborne would be a pretty obvious springboard, though it's more Victorian gothic

I would suggest maybe setting it around Renaissance times. Lovecraft was written at a time when scientific advancement was showing us our place in the universe, and it plays off these fears.

Somewhat similarly the Renaissance did kinda the same (the most obvious example being Heliocentrism). That and you have the rediscovery of a lost era and with it, ancient knowledge regarding the true nature of the universe and the eldritch entities that fill it.

That or I just spouted a whole lot of bullshit and you should ignore me.
>>
>>44468431
That's actually a pretty good idea and I might steal it for my setting. Being a big fan of Lovecraft, I want to include a Lovecraftian undertone to my setting, and going with a reneissance/enlightement theme would function pretty well with that, both as a contrast and as two sides of the same coin (pushing the boundaries of our understanding ot the world and rediscovering forgotten knowledge can be both good and bad). It also fits pretty well with my existing ideas.
>>
>>44469261
Maybe read through some Call of Cthulu/Delta Green books or modules?
I don't know if there's many medieval/early modern ones(I vaguely remember a CoC dark ages one though),but they could give you some ideas of plot hooks and the like.
>>
>>44463844
thanks for the channel this guy is rad
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.