[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite resolution mechanic? What's your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 18
File: dice.jpg (150 KB, 1382x1036) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
150 KB, 1382x1036
What's your favorite resolution mechanic?

What's your least favorite?
>>
>>44462994
>What's your favorite resolution mechanic?
Roll & Keep.
>What's your least favorite?
d20. Yes yes, hipster and all those bad words, but I genuinely don't like it.
>>
>>44462994
Points Managment, like Marvel Universe Roleplay or Gumshoe system

d20. I deeply hate the d20.
>>
>>44462994

Rolling dice.

Duel to the death.
>>
>>44463006
>>44463042
Why don't you like d20? Is it just not that interesting? Or is it the fact that there can just be too many modifiers on one roll?
>>
>>44462994
>Favorite
Dice pools, of any dice type.

>Least Favorite
I don't really have a particular dislike for any resolution mechanic. Maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough.
>>
>>44462994
>Favorite
I jump all over the place, but probably Cortex+ dice pools at the moment, namely MHRPG's.
I've recently given FFG's Star Wars dice system a chance and it's won me over, and I'm having a lot of fun with it, but the dice (and books) cost too much for me to get close to saying they're my favorite.

>Least favorite
Palladium/Rifts/Megaverse. It tries to do both d20 and d% and it's just cumbersome as hell. If the game was more concise on the whole it would be fine, but it's Palladium so of course it isn't.
>>
>>44462994
>Favorite
Dice pools or d100
>Least favorite
FFG Star Wars dice pools, it's a cumbersome version of a *World game's fail a lot and the GM talks around the dice a lot.
>>
One Roll Engine. I've never played a better system for handling fast, gritty combat.

d20, especially for combat. Why yes I love having two completely separate vectors for failure to resolve a simple sword swing.
>>
>>44463125
>Why don't you like d20?
Terrible probabilities that swing either too much or too little.
> Is it just not that interesting?
Yes.
>Or is it the fact that there can just be too many modifiers on one roll?
Indeed. Either you have very few or so many you can almost not fail. I know this was done better in 5E but it's still bothersome.

2d6 are far, FAR saner.
>>
>favorite
6d6d6

>Least favorite
d20
>>
>>44462994
> Favorite
A toss up between percentile and Ars Magica's original d10 + modifiers > difficulty number (the inspiration for d20)

> Least Favorite
Dice pools. I'll play them with no complaints, but I don't use them when designing games.
>>
>>44463125
The d20 is pure garbage, and even when other people tried to make a new game based on the d20, they failed miserably.

The d20 is cursed.
Nothing good will ever came out of it.
>>
>>44463231
>One Roll Engine. I've never played a better system for handling fast, gritty combat.
Look into 7th Sea. Few things that aren't Legends of the Wulin come even close to ORE in terms of information density (I love saying that) on a per-roll basis, but 7th sea might still interest you.
>>
>>44463246
How is 6d6d6 in any way balanced?

Unless I'm understanding it wrong. Could you explain it?
>>
>>44463246
>6d6d6
I... what? Sell me on it. I'm tripping way too hard right now.
>>
>>44463268
>>44463278

Roll 6d6 then roll that many d6. If its greater than the target number you succeed.
>>
>>44462994
2d6 or pools of successes

d20 is just boring.
And oWoD's combat system, fuck that in the ear with a hammer.
>>
>>44463066
>Duel to the death
That's a good answer.

Now i don't know, it makes me think.
Do I hate more the strong possibility of dying violently, or the d20?

It's not an obvious choice.
>>
>>44463320
I sincerely hope that no system uses that for Opposed Rolls.
>>
>>44463332
>>44463066
What if casting a Legendary spell was resolved by beating the GM in either Poker or MtG?
>>
>>44463320
>Roll 6d6 then roll that many d6. If its greater than the target number you succeed.
That's /weird/.
>>
>>44463391
So to cast a legendary spell, you need to defeat the ultimate authority for the universe in a game of their choosing?

I like the idea.
>>
>>44463231
>Why yes I love having two completely separate vectors for failure to resolve a simple sword swing.

Just base damage on the amount by which the attack roll exceeds the target number.
>>
Rolled 2, 5, 6, 5, 1, 3 = 22 (6d6)

>>44463405
The word youre looking for in inovative
>>
>>44463320
An extra step that seems like a waste of time.
>>
>>44463391
You could technically do that, but what's the point?

The system it's a tool to have fast and credible resolution of dubious situations.
If you make it slow and unconnected, it's a bad system.
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 4, 2, 2, 5, 2, 1, 5, 3, 1, 4, 2, 3, 5, 5, 2, 4, 5 = 60 (22d6)

>>44463444
>>
>>44463465
That system is absolutely ridiculous in how unbalanced it is.
>>
>>44463534
Trust me you are on the wrong side of history m8
>>
>>44463444
Is it really usable outside of online play/dice rollers? Sounds nice, but I like to roll myself, and rolling up to 36 sixes and adding them seems slow.
>>
>>44463242
>Terrible probabilities that swing either too much or too little.
The "it's so random!" argument doesn't make a lot of sense and is usually based on using the same size steps/modifiers on a d20 as you would on 3d6, which is just silly, because the range and standard deviation on 3d6 is smaller.
>>
Why does so many people hate the d20? Do you hate the dice and its range/chances, or the d20 system?

I'm currently working on a roll-under d20 system that kinda works like a simplified d100 and I'd love to know.
>>
File: 3d6 compared to d20.jpg (86 KB, 518x550) Image search: [Google]
3d6 compared to d20.jpg
86 KB, 518x550
>>44463661
Shit. Meant to post this pic.
>>
>>44463675
Whether they admit it or not (or even realize it), I think most people's objections to d20s is rooted in the particular mechanics of D&D.
>>
>>44463262
Agreed; I'm personally more familiar with ORE, but Roll&Keep is also an awesome and unique system.
>>
File: screenshot.png (31 KB, 1097x400) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
31 KB, 1097x400
>>44463661
>>44463676
>the averages both have a 50% chance of happening
Well no shit, will you next reveal the color of the sky?
>>
>>44463675
d20 roll under is a variation of d100, but with 5% increments. I think it would work really well, just like I think Numenera works and so does THAC0

The d20 system is d20+mod versus target number for most or all resolutions.
>>
>>44463713
Okay, a few things here. 1st, the average on 2d6 is 7, but you have a 58.33% chance to roll it or under. 2nd, the average on a d20 and 3d6 is 10.5, not 10. 3rd, I was establishing 10 as an anchor point between the two systems, and saying that when you move away from 10, you have to move twice as far on a d20 to get similar results. 4th, the sky is grey because it's raining.
>>
>>44463820
>the sky is grey because it's raining.
No, it's clearly because you've angered the sungod.
>>
>>44463843
>you've angered the sungod.
He shouldn't have been talking shit if he didn't want to be called out on it. And he still hasn't returned my Led Zeppelin album.
>>
Dogs In The Vineyard's betting/raising stakes for control of the narrative. Failing that 2d6 apocalypse world.

Strangely enough, dice pools tend to bother me when there are just one size of dice. Makes shit too linear.
>>
>>44464002
Dogs in the Vineyard is the best narrative mechanic I can think of.
>>
File: 1381405557671.jpg (82 KB, 960x708) Image search: [Google]
1381405557671.jpg
82 KB, 960x708
>>44463042
d20 = d% / 5 = bad/
>>
>>44463675
Pendragon uses d20 roll-under and the system is rock solid. You should check it out.
>>
>>44462994
Generally any system that requires you to make the least amount of rolls by tossing the least amount of dice.

The opposite of the above. While some people get their rocks off of tossing literal double-fistfuls of dice repeatedly, I don't. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>44464176
Wanna give a reason, punk?
>>
>>What's your favorite resolution mechanic?
Roll first dice to first digit 0 to 9
if you cant still find if you won, roll again to second didit.
This roll under to "win"
There is just 1 in 10 times you need to roll 2 times and 1 in 100 you need to roll 3 dices, and in 1 1000 to roll 4 dices and dies goes on.
>>
>>44463320
>Roll 6d6 then roll that many d6. If its greater than the target number you succeed.
Congratulation you beaten fatal
>>
>>44462994
1d20
A fistful of dice.
>>
>>44463391
If the whole game mechanics revolve around cards, it might work.
Like, you're playing by the normal mechanics, hit a flush, and decide to play that against the DM
that had been holding a royal flush all the time

Maybe with a discarding mechanic for the DM himself, like he starts with 3x the cards of the players (and each encounter would have its card pool too), but has to discard one at random each turn, so eventually players can fight him.

But as a standalone mechanic, no. That would just be annoying and break immersion.
>>
File: IMG_6147-dragon-age-dice.jpg (26 KB, 300x267) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6147-dragon-age-dice.jpg
26 KB, 300x267
I like the AGE System's 3d6 with a stunt die.

It makes it more exciting than just totalling the numbers, since you're also looking for doubles. And sometimes the stunt die specifically matters.

It's a very simple and dynamic gimmick that doesn't rely on lots of different or proprietary dice.
>>
>Fave
roll under d100

>Least Fave
dice pools without a cap of like 15 dice

it gets insane
>>
>>44464859

wait, I just remembered

>least fave

Cthulhutech's poker dice
>>
Coin flips. 1d2 for standard tasks, 2d2-take-the-lowest (2 tails is failure with a cost, 1 tails and 1 head is failure, 2 heads is success) for difficult tasks, 2d2-take-the-highest for easy tasks (reverse of previous).
>>
>>44464823
Or something like that, but Liar's Poker instead of Poker. And stunts allow to cheat or reroll a number of dice, possibly decided by the DM.
>>
>>44464890
Cthulhutech's Poker Dice is a totally cool idea that completely fails to be any fun in execution.
>>
>>44464896

>not having coin pools
>not having exploding coin flips on edge
>>
I'm currently in love with Double Cross's system. It's very strange and unique to me.

>Stat determines how many dice you roll, skill tells you what modifier you add to it
>You roll that many d10 and take the highest result, adding your skill to it
>Any dice that crit, you add 10 to your current total and roll those dice again; Keep doing it until you stop critting
>There are mechanics in the game that decrease your crit threshold

So I could roll 5d10 with a crit threshold of 7 and wind up with a good 40 or so points on my skill check in a game where a difficult roll is 15.

I also like the combat mechanic
>When you attack, you roll to-hit using the mechanic from above
>Unless you roll a fumble, you hit
>Opponent has choice
>Roll an evasion check. They roll like normal adding their evasion skill, and if their roll is higher than your to-hit roll, they dodge and take no damage.
>If they fail the evasion check, they take the full brunt of the attack
>OR, they choose not to evade. They take the damage, but they subtract their armor score from the damage.

Makes it a bit of a gamble sometimes.
>>
>>44462994
One Roll Engine (ORE). I love how it combines speed, precision, and effect into a single toss of the dice. I also really enjoy finding matching dice in the results and building result sets and deciding how to use them. (Using a 2x10 for attack, and that 2x1 for defense? Maybe not the best idea...) For such a simple mechanic it has a lot of depth.

Despite everyone else ragging on d20 (and by extension d%) I think they're just average and bland. The real terrible thing is Cthulhutech's dice mechanic. If you think d20 is somehow worse that than clusterfuck you need to get some perspective.
>>
>>44465046
Gets ridiculous if you have more than two. You can flip two coins at once, I don't know how you could flip three unless you shook them in a box or just threw them or something.

Maybe you could add in some kind of stunt coin mechanic, using two different coins for standard tasks. As-is, you can only get a failure with a cost or a success with a bonus on difficult or easy tasks. Which I think makes sense ("Not only do you intimidate the especially cowardly guard into opening the door, he tells you where the control room is.") but making one of the two coins a stunt coin with more minor effects might be interesting.
>>
>>44465132
It sounds like skills are far less important than stats.
>>
>>44465230
Sup ORE-bro. I wonder if ORE's profile on /tg/ has risen enough recently to merit a discussion thread?
>>
>>44465369
It is a little bit, but all of your skills are tied to a stat regardless. Your skills are usually really low anyways. A completely average across the board person is usually at 2 for each stat, so the skill does wind up helping often times, especially when you're doing social stuff.
>>
>>44465230
>>44465414

Can you explain this system? I read Wikipedia and Greg Stolze's wiki but I don't quite get it.
>>
>>44462994
>Favourite
Psi Game (Android: Netrunner)

>Least Favourite
Requisition rolls (Dark Heresy)
>>
>>44463260
Frostgrave uses D20 and is pretty good.
>>
>>44462994
Favorite: d20
Least: roll under d100 %
>>
>>44465432
I'm mostly familiar with how its used in REIGN and Wild Talents, so I can speak from that. Other games use variations on it.

Basically you have a pool of d10s, usually made from Stat + Skill that you roll and look for matches, i.e. a pool of 1,2,2,3,5,5,5 has two "Sets"-- 2,2 and 5,5,5.

A set is described as having "Width", which is the number of dice in the set, and "Height", which is the value of the dice itself. So a 2,2 has both a Width of 2 and a Height of 2, while 5,5,5 has a Width of 3 and a Height of 5. These are written as Width x Height, so 5,5,5 is written as 3x5.

Once you know that, you know how to play the game. Generally a basic action only needs a single Set, but more difficult actions may require a minimum Height (for actions where the degree of your success matters) or Width (for actions where how fast you do it matters).

Where it really shines is in Combat, where your Set tells you everything you need to know about your attack. Width determines the speed of the attack (attacks with higher Width occur before ones with lower Width) and damage (unarmed attacks, for instance, deal Width in Shock damage, a sword attack might do Width in Killing), while Height determines where on your target you hit (a Height of 1 means you hit his foot, a Height of 10 his head).

I'm sure in the time it took to write this >>44465230 may have beaten me to the punch, but that's okay because I love ORE.
>>
>>44463675
Honestly? Most of these people are hipsters. I mean, just listen to half of the shit they say, and then crunch numbers and find out they're full of shit.

>I hate the d20, it's so unbalanced
>That's why I LOOOVE any other dice system which has the same chance of randomness as any other dice system including the d20
>d20 is SO broken, matey.
>>
I'm working on a system where players arm wrestle and do other physical feats for resolution.
>>
>>44465577
That's a lot of needless calculations one has to do in their head for very limited value.
>>
>>44464823
Actually, there was a mechanic used in the mario party rip off for sonic called Sonic Shuffle that I liked. Instead of rolling dice around the board and screwing yourself over, at the start of the turn, you got dealt a hand of cards with numbers on it. On your turn, you played a card and moved that many spaces, and you never got new cards until you used your entire hands worth.

It would be interesting to see in a tabletop game. "Do I want to play my high card and beat his 'roll' now, or should I take the loss and save it for later?"
>>
>>44465621
The only calculation you need to do with ORE is add together two single digit numbers to get your dice pool. There's no math involved in looking at a bunch of dice you rolled and picking out which ones are the same. A kindergardener could do it.
>>
>>44465621
This.

Are you spotting specific matching numbers ("Oh, I got three 2s!") or are you working out every set and comparing them?

The idea of width and height sounds fairly intuitive though. 5 is a higher number so it makes sense to think of in height, and 5,5,5 being "three wide" sounds nice.
>>
>>44465682
Your dice pool can also never be greater than 10, because at that point you're guaranteed to have a set of something.
>>
>>44465664
How does that work if you're playing on the same screen?
>>
>>44464176
>a guy said he likes diceless system
>criticize him for hating one kind of dice
>>
>>44465705
It was a dreamcast game. Your hand would, ideally, be displayed on the Visual Memory Unit. It was a memory card, except it had a small screen on it and was inserted into your controller. Most games didn't use them, but Sonic Shuffle was one of the few games that did.

They were actually hard to find though, so unless your resident dreamcast owner was a HARDCORE sega fan, they usually only had the VMU that came with the system, so yeah, your cards would totally be on the screen for everyone to see.
>>
>>44465752
That's not a bad idea.

Wii U remake when?
>>
The prisoner's dilemma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Uos2fzIJ0
>>
>>44465688
One set = one action. If you roll and get two sets, you can choose which one to use (so if you get a low but wide set, it may be preferable to one that is high but narrow).

This works if you're going for multiple actions too; if you want to drive a car and shoot a gun, you roll the smaller of the two pools (either Drive or Ranged Weapon (Gun)) and try to go for two sets.

One of the cool things about ORE is the bell curve it generates; a pool of 7 dice has like a 90% chance of getting at least one Set, so the real advantage of getting your pool up to 8-10 dice isn't that you're more likely to succeed, but that you have a wider range of actions at your disposal that still have a decent chance of success because you can suffer penalties (like shooting outside your range or trying to boost the speed of your action), which remove -1d from your pool, and still have a good chance of succeeding. It means that a character with a large pool of dice is not merely more powerful, but more skilled and capable.
>>
>>44465821
So do you choose the set you want?

Like you roll a 3,3,3,3 and a 6,6 in the pool, but you want to do it fast, not gracefully, so you choose the 4x3?

What changes the pool size?
>>
>>44465862
Yes. If you have multiple sets, like in your example, you can take multiple actions like attacking twice or attacking and defending (depending on which ORE game you're playing specifically).

Pool size grows as the related attribute and skill develop. So if your Might goes up by 1 you'll be rolling one additional d10 on all rolls of Might + whatever.
>>
>>44465862
Exactly!

The choice is especially important in combat, where everyone rolls their dice simultaneously and then attacks are resolved in order of greatest to least Width-- so you may have rolled 2x10, but you may want to go with your 4x3 instead if it means hitting the guy before they hit you.

Pool size is almost always determined by Stat + Skill. In REIGN and Wild Talents there are six stats-- Body, Coordination, Sense, Mind, Charm and Command, and each has a number of skills under it. Both Stats and Skills are typically limited to a maximum of 5d each, so rolling a Stat with 5d + a Skill with 5d gives you your maximum possible pool of 10d.

It is technically possible to have dice above 10d, but you don't roll them. Instead you use them to offset penalties. If you manage to have like 12d, you'd still only roll 10d, but with those extra 2d you can cancel up to -2d in penalties levied on you for doing complex maneuvers like performing multiple actions or increasing the speed or damage of your attack.

That pool is sometimes modified by outside circumstances, usually in the form of single die penalties (like attacking while injured) or buffs (like taking your time), but 90% of the time you're just rolling Stat + Skill.
>>
>>44465800
>>44465752
>>44465664

I have always wanted to try something like this. You can easily replicate other dice by removing or adding cards to decks, and unlike dice you wont have "good" or "bad" nights (statistically you will always roll average, but there was a night, wherein, I did not roll higher than a 7 on a d20, we recorded. It can happen), you WILL eventually go through every permutation.

Also just the stuff you can do with cards seems fun. A few ideas i've had, just general ideas that don't fit themes though.

-A public deck, wherein you have a hand and put cards into a pot everyone, including enemies draws from to play.
-Suites to actions (attacks are diamonds, moves are spades etc...)
-Pair building and poker hands.
and more!
>>
>>44465811
See, I would pick share there BECAUSE I would expect the other person to pick steal.

I'm not in charge of I get money, I am in charge of if my partner gets money. And I would rather have my partner get the money than have the show not have to pay EITHER of us for the hour/half hour of airing our humiliation they are profiting on.
>>
>>44466294
So one guy totally hacked this game.

He went on and when it came time to Share/Steal, what he did was tell the other guy "I'm definitely going to Steal. If you pick Share, I promise that I'll voluntarily give you half." And no matter what the other guy said, this guy stuck to it. "I'm gong to pick Steal. If you pick share, I'll give you half."

Eventually he wore the other guy down, and when the balls were finally opened they both said Share.
>>
>>44466513
Speak of the devil, I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8
>>
>>44466513
>>44466675
That's pretty badass.
>>
>>44462994
Don't know. Haven't found it yet.
Dice.
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
d100 under or over, Or d20

>least favorite
Dice pool
It's dogshit. The only reason this exists is for spergs that need to fidget with trinkets constantly in order to sate their autism
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
That d100 thing Fantasy Flight games use
>least favorite
Anything that makes me need more than one type of dice.
>>
File: 1451342621079.jpg (55 KB, 503x518) Image search: [Google]
1451342621079.jpg
55 KB, 503x518
>>44467673
thread
>>
I like the fall forward dice pool system of burning wheel.

I hate flat curve tests of any type.
>>
>Favorite
d20
>least favorite
anything that slowdowns the rp
>>
>>44463006
Roll and keep.

Sebright system it keeps reliability but allows swing.

One game that has just a ludicrously bad ruleset but it's still a pretty good idea on paper is "Don't Look Back: Terror is Never Far Behind".

It features weapons that do stuff like 1.2 damage, so if you hit you take the value of your success and multiply it by the weapon's damage. So like you do 13*1.3 damage!

The the resolution system simpe but explained by elusive math wizards

> calculate the value of your roll, which can be anywhere between negative 6 and 6. Next, determine the absolute value of your roll (remove the negative). Roll that many plus 3 dice. Take the highest 3 dice from your roll if your original value was positive, and the lowest 3 dice if it was negative. Compare your final number to a bell-curve chart for what happens.

Get all that? You're rolling 3d6 plus any bonus of penalty dice. If your roll in positives take the 3 highest if you're rolling the negative take the 3 lowest.
>>
File: image.png (859 KB, 1502x837) Image search: [Google]
image.png
859 KB, 1502x837
>>44470927
Least favourite the 4d3-8 aka 'Fuge/FATE dice' narrow range of numbers practically no swing.

For a game based around accessibility it seems odd that it would invent a new type of die.

Can be simulated with a pair of the d6s pretty didn't they just do that instead?
>>
>>44462994
Don't really have one.

3d6
Muh Bellcurve... I feel extreme results with <1% probability are pointless.

d%
Feels just to scientific.
>>
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 1024x1373) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 1024x1373
>>44464890
>>44465011
Cool idea on paper defines Cthulhu tech.

If there was any sort of mechanical difference at all between the different poker hands it would be interesting but you still just looking for the highest number.

They could've used that to do critical degrees of success or some thing. I like a street would've been a success with the cost or something.

Look at one roll engine. Not that it fully works but at least it makes uses of it.
>>
>>44467673
> don't have a favorite yet
> 6d6d6 is as good as 2d6
>>
>>44463125

To put it simply:
F L A T D I S T R I B U T I O N

>>44463246
6...dimentional...6d6? Wouldn't that just be a 12d2?
>>
>>44462994

1 die roll, target number or under. Any die type; bell curves are nice but not mandatory.

"Hurr I rolled 23 hit successes."
"Durr, I rolled 17 dodge successes."
"Herrp, I rolled 5 damage successes."
"Derrp, I rolled 7 soak successes."
>>
File: Fate Deck.jpg (328 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Fate Deck.jpg
328 KB, 600x600
>>44467673
Have you tried CARDS!?!
>>
File: Character & Mission Select.gif (2 MB, 624x335) Image search: [Google]
Character & Mission Select.gif
2 MB, 624x335
Dicepools with exploding dice.

Alternatively TN's that are pre decided [Savage worlds: 4 as a success, with other Tn's from derived statistics] rather than however the GM feels for that particular moment
>>
>>44475576
Show me on the doll where WoD touched you
>>
>>44475735
Seconding, exploding dice pools are the best, and I hate rolling to a target with any modifiers, because nobody can ever fucking add right.
>>
File: fgu.jpg (23 KB, 218x320) Image search: [Google]
fgu.jpg
23 KB, 218x320
>>44475788

Shadowrun, actually,
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
puzzles

>least
dice
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
d6 and d100 have won me over quite well.

>least favorite
Either the system used in Legends of the Wulin or Roll&Keep.
>>
>>44475788
>>44476033

Shadowrun is nWoD's convoluted cousin.

WoD is all:
Dicepool - Defense -> Damage.
Done and done.
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
roll&keep

>least favorite
1d6

Fuck Strike
>>
Alright, so this thread is convincing me to try out ORE.

I found a free pdf for Nemesis. What else out there is good?
>>
>>44477007
I did wonder how the author was planning to make make a tactical 1D6 based system work.

Am I to take it doesn't?
>>
>>44470927
>explained by elusive math wizards
I see no problems with this explanation.
>>
>>44478159
It doesn't, in combat the insane swing makes crits way too common and out of combat the goal is to roll as little as possible because the risk is pretty much always greater than the reward
>>
>>44478328
So it's not a dice pool or any thing, it really is a 1d6, fail on 1, crit on a 6?

Watching the guys kick starter he seem to have a lot of sensible idea so I'm not sure what he was thinking. I like systems d6 because of its accessibility but they normally balance that shit out.
>>
>>44478125
>I found a free pdf for Nemesis. What else out there is good?
>>
>>44470927

This roll mechanics is pure genious, I'm gonna start using it.
>>
>>44462994
>Favorite
ORE
>Least
D20
>>
Rocks-paper-scissors

Not as a "ha ha I always win against Paper" button in a TTRPG, but using a system that enforces dice+RPS is ideal to me.

Instead of just making more +'s on a weapon, I say bring the right weapon for the job
>>
>>44463675
It's not 4dF - 4dF

That shit makes a lovely para-Gaussian curve with only 3 results per die
>>
>>44478328
What do you think the cutoff might be?
I wonder if a d8 would fare better, maybe d12
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 4, 1, 3, 4 = 24 (6d6)

>>44463320
Okay, hold on, let me try this.

First, I roll Six d6s.
>>
>>44478125
Wild Talents is perhaps the best superhero game currently out there. I've played it every week for coming up on two years and it's still amazing fun. The power creation rules can feel a little obtuse when you first read through it, but once you get the hang of it you can literally create anything.

REIGN is a fantasy game with a very unique setting. It also has a much more refined version of the ORE that addresses many of the problems that creep up with in Wild Talents (such as combat being trivialized by Hard Dice), and overall is an incredibly clever and interesting game that gives you a completely different experience from any other fantasy RPG. It also has incredibly cool rules for running your own faction, which frankly could be exported to just about any game.
>>
>>44480778
>dF
What?
>>
Rolled 5, 2, 5, 5, 1, 3, 1, 4, 6, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 4, 4, 1, 6, 3, 4, 6 = 86 (24d6)

>>44480949
So, having gotten 24, I now roll 24 D6s.
>>
File: fudgy fun.png (41 KB, 528x297) Image search: [Google]
fudgy fun.png
41 KB, 528x297
>>44480976
these things:
>>44471078
>>
>>44481002
Okay, does an..eighty six, beat your target number?

Which brings me to an interesting question, how in the hell do you set your target numbers or difficulty checks?

I'd suggest trying this method with some lower numbered dice, but that only leaves d4s and I'm pretty sure throwing around a maximum of 16 d4s will lead to somebody getting hurt.
>>
>>44471078
>Can be simulated with a pair of the d6s pretty didn't they just do that instead?
Well, yeah. They never stop you from doing that? It's just easier to use the fudge-dice as made at a glance since otherwise you just have to memorize how the numbers match up to regular d6s.
>>
>>44481052
>I'd suggest
Anon are you taking him seriously?
>>
>>44462994
THAT FUCKING 6 ON THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT IT COULD HAVE BEEN SUCH A NICE PICTURE OF DICES

..FUCK
>>
>>44475624
I keep wanting to make a card-based RPG but I keep falling into the traps of:
>Why aren't we playing Magic
>Why aren't we playing poker
>Why am I trying to interpret tarot cards
I need to stop /tg/
>>
File: villains chortling.jpg (92 KB, 791x381) Image search: [Google]
villains chortling.jpg
92 KB, 791x381
>>44481072
Kind of want to make Fudge symbols on a D12; dodecahedrons are beautiful.

>>44481084
dam son
what's wrong with the 6
>>
>>44481127
Holy shit I would buy so many of those from you you have no idea.
>>
>>44481082
No, I was cracking wise because the results are so rid-goddamn-diculous.
>>
>>44481102
Have you tried I Ching?
>>
>>44480976
It's essentially a d3 that tries to be fancy.
>>
>>44481159
Welp here we go again.
>>
>>44462994
Whatever the hell you call it:
Ironclaw

best resolution system for best combat for any fantasy game I've played yet

shame I can't seem to get IRL players for it, only online
>>
>>44481177
What exactly is Ironclaw's dice resolution and combat system like? I've seen non-furries willing to join horrific yifffests just so they can play a game of Ironclaw.
>>
>>44462994
Russian Roulette

Russian Roulette
>>
File: TOBLEROWNED.gif (44 KB, 714x536) Image search: [Google]
TOBLEROWNED.gif
44 KB, 714x536
>>44481134
D12 best girl
Also, it's the only other Platonic solid die with a side multiple of 3. D6 lacks pentagon sides.

>>44481173
You can't tell people not to play their games with a Toblerone bar!
>>
>>44465527

Fuck you, Jinteki.

Sincerely, Wayland.
>>
>>44481193

It's like someone decided RPGs didn't have to be legacy support wanking.

Most importantly they dropped turn order and initiatives.
System went through the pressure cooker of 10+ years of conventions.

Grab the "Omnibus" copy
It just cheats the "pick two" triangle of speed, balance, simplicity. Part of that is the combat system, and the setting itself it fun as fuck.
In a nutshell, someone who's never played RPGs looked at Savage Worlds and said "pretty good but-" and then made a variant which didn't suck on the teats of the 90's. Probably why I found it so refreshing.
Just a type of dicepool resolution. Uses d4 to d12 in a pool, but they split up factors in the roll where each die over the opposing highest is a hit, but soak dice are vs 4 for a reduction of 1 with one die per armor layer and weapons have a flat damage addition plus hits, then it's got three reactionary defender options where counter-attack is the defacto (attacks provoke) so you'll resolve encounters faster than other systems. Damage isn't cumulative it's all effects taken per hit but the track has 4 as dying for everyone with a deathspiral. Makes a nice skirmish system. Then they had good balance of mechanics for grappling, impaling, etc, and magic is pretty solid with some of the better ideas from 4e D&D.
"Non-combat" characters have good combat options too just by talking, for support, defensive, and offensive. Character generation takes two minutes and caps cheese pretty well.
The book doesn't advertise this but it's surprisingly cinematic "your footing and ally flanking trumps his skill, the blade impales his leather armor but cuts only his bulk. He's hurt and afraid."
There's built in anti-retardation mechanics, like you can't initiate attacks when afraid but get afraid taking only 2 damage when 4 is dying, so mooks and players aren't to the death.

Realized it was fucking genius when I made a triple-shield wielding monkey pacifist bodyguard and kicked ass.
>>
I have no idea why, but for some reason I have a soft spot for systems with "flat" skill rolls, with no modifiers for difficulty. Like Call of Cthulhu, where climbing a rope on a nice day is just as hard as doing it heavy rain with greasy hands. It's not realistic at all, but it creates a certain tension that I like, and makes things run slightly faster.
>>
>>44462994
>favourite
Secret deployment of limited resources, revelation, whoever invested the most wins.

Eg/ tabletop strategy game. Factors in initial setup include terrain layout, length of board edge as deployment zone, who deploys first and second, who goes first. Each army has X strategy points, which each player invests in secret in each slot. Reveal, and resolve again for tie-breakers. Whoever bet the most on terrain gets to choose terrain, whoever bet most on first turn gets first turn and so on.

>least favourite
Both players roll a dice. Whoever rolls highest wins. Reroll all draws.
>>
>>44462994
I think the d20 mechanic is probably my least favorite but not because d20.

+1 is such a fucking retarded concept it just needs to be thrown in the garbage at this point.

Instead of +X it should be in the form of allowing rerolls or rolling another die to give a bonus.
>>
Fudge. Simple, nice distribution, etc.

d20. Not that awful, but swingy as hell.
>>
>>44482898
I like limited rerolls, so reroll rolls of 1-3 or 1-9. I also have nothing agaisnt rerolls OF rerolls provided theres some means of tracking the results. Some sort of tier tree that says "this reroll can be the first through to third of a chain" or something. Sounds like it could be the defining mechanic of a system.
>>
>>44463661
>3d6

3d6 is by far the better system, because it keeps you from stacking fixed bonuses or penalties and falling off the chart.

If you're going to look at 3d6, try GURPS. It adds a crit mechanic that makes the %'s work out very cleanly. At very low skill levels, the risk of failure stops going up but the risk of critically failing rises quickly. At high skill levels, bonuses are still useful not because you're more likely to succeed (that's already pretty much assured) but because you're much more likely to get a crit success.

So bonuses and penalties are useful through the whole range, but the results don't fall off the chart like d20 does.
>>
>>44463066
pansy
>>
>>44484715
I kinda prefer 2d10 or 2d6 personally. 3d6 always feels a little bit too bell curved for my taste.
Something like 2d6 has always felt like a good best of both worlds compared to 1d20 or 3d6.
>>
>>44487272
After all these decades it turns out monopoly had the best idea after all.

Who would've guessed?
>>
>>44480803
Honestly I think the d8 really is all you need. You have the modified number of the regular D6, and an 'extra' bottom and top if you want to do critical.
>>
Rolled 5, 2, 5, 3, 3, 2 = 20 (6d6)

>>44481052
Let's find out, mother fucker.
>>
>>44479616
>>44470927
>Get all that? You're rolling 3d6 plus any bonus or penalty dice. If you're rolling with bonus dice you take the 3 highest. If you're rolling with the penalty you take the 3 lowest.

It really is an ingeniously simple system. My exact same thought was I have to steal this.
>>
>>44490320
Shit that's not looking good for me already.
>>
Rolled 1, 6, 4, 1, 5, 4, 6, 5, 3, 1, 3, 4, 6, 3, 5, 5, 2, 3, 1, 3 = 71 (20d6)

>>44490345
>>44490320

It helps if I use the right tag.
>>
>>44481010
>>44481072
I said a pair of dice, I'm not talking about Drawing on my existing dice. Im talking the 1d6-1d6.

All the fun half the fuss

>>44481127
You need like a D50 to get all the result represented the same as the dice
>>
>>44462994
>favorite
Collecting sets of cards to beat others through card draw and hand manipulation

>least favorite
d20 because random hit-or-miss mechanics are boring
>>
>>44462994

GM fiat

Dice
>>
>>44492803
Haha, I don't mean every unique outcome of 4dF (there's 81).
I mean an individual Fudge D12 would have 4 +'s, 4 -'s, and 4 "blanks".

I require more D12s
>>
>>44481479
>>44481193
It's incredibly disconcerting how good the system is, really. They just made it, and hey it worked. I have a similar respect for Legends of the Wulin though there it's a little less weird since they clearly based it on experience rather than just LOL I GOT THIS... and delivering.
>>
>Favorite:
Dice.

>Least Favorite:
Anything that takes more than a minute to resolve.
>>
>>44497895
>It's incredibly disconcerting how good the system is, really. They just made it, and hey it worked. I have a similar respect for Legends of the Wulin though there it's a little less weird since they clearly based it on experience rather than just LOL I GOT THIS... and delivering.

Nope.

16+ years old and three novels.

They made about four other RPGs between 1st and "2nd" aka Omnibus continuously tweaking it (Jadeclaw, Usagi Yojimbo, Albedo, Noggle Stones, etc) then after Omnibus have been putting out several more (Bleeding Edge, Myriad Song, Urban Jungle, etc)

Like I said: Conventions. It got the shit playtested out of it for decades in a tiny circle of furry conventions.

Not well known outside of that.
>>
File: RPG_MarvelUniverseRPG_cover.jpg (60 KB, 200x301) Image search: [Google]
RPG_MarvelUniverseRPG_cover.jpg
60 KB, 200x301
I wouldn't say it was more favourite but Marvel Universe RPG had an interesting system.

The game was fully dice and based around tactical resource management and secret biding, the knack came at evaluating varying refreshing rate and spend limits of character compared to their pool.

It's wasn't too hard to break if you really wanted to be but it was an interesting idea.
>>
I like bidding of resources to accomplish things. There's a game called modern art that has a bunch of different ways the players can bid to win art at auctions: public, hideen, all-or-nothing, etc. I like the psychological aspect that comes from trying to bluff other players and the idea that players determine the value of the thing they want themselves.

I don't like systems that aren't very crunchy because I feel like they are arbitrary.
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.