[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/: Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition General: Buttmad Sorcerer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: 71gqRU3uu5L._UY606_.jpg (28 KB, 378x606) Image search: [Google]
71gqRU3uu5L._UY606_.jpg
28 KB, 378x606
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Continuing the theme of the last thread : What is the most egregious misinterpretation of the rules you've seen a fellow player try to get away with?
>>
>>44443309
This is semi-relevant. I have a question on how I should go about interpreting a Monk's Unarmored Defense with respect to a Druid's Natural Armor it gets when transformed into certain creatures. Does Natural Armor prevent them from adding their Wisdom modifier to their AC?
>>
>>44443309
Not necessarily a misinterpretation of the rules, but one of the players I play with died and then threw a fit after he realized he had an ability that could have saved his life, arguing that "His character would know that he could meld into stone, so he should be allowed to retcon that and survive" The DM was staunch and resolute saying, if you forgot your character panicked and forgot and died.

The player ended up getting so mad he stormed off, only to come back and sitting the rest of the session saying that he had the initiative tracker.
>>
>>44443485
General consensus has been that they do not stack. I don't believe there has been an official ruling from sage advice.

Most beasts have "Natural Armor," so if you REALLY wanna be pedantic, natural armor trumps unarmored.
>>
File: Dungeons.png (2 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Dungeons.png
2 MB, 1366x768
>>44443582
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>44443485
I have a druid/monk in my party. As DM I decided to allow it. It seemed to me that the Wisdom bonus was part and parcel to the "magic of ki", which is central to the class. Considering that creatures with natural armour could potentially train to be monks, and the fact that one doesn't "wear" natural armour, I didn't see this as a conflict. Additionally, I didn't want class features to cancel out when the player was multiclassing to add versatility.
>>
>>44443627
I was considering allowing it on the grounds that it makes sense to me since the armor is part of their body, but I'm just really concerned with balance. Does it appear to be at all overpowered in your campaign?
>>
>>44443582
[44443627] here. I'm curious about why people have come to a different conclusion than I have about this. If the Wisdom bonus was added as "armour" I could see this being a matter of "bonuses not stacking". Instead, this is a straight improvement to baseline AC.

It seems to me that the Wisdom bonus should work in the same way as a Cloak of Protection. It straight up improves AC, rather than adding an armour bonus.
>>
>>44443687
Not at all. The druid/monk's AC is still much, much lower than the cleric and fighter who frontline the group. The druid's real strength in combat is having so many extra health pools from wild shape.
>>
>>44443754
> No, it's okay, the Druid is already fucking broken for other reasons
Ok.

>>44443309
This got meta pretty fast.
>>
>>44443309
I haven't seen anything nuts, but I remember one dude said he had a player that told him botched versions of every rule in the game. Like, lances are one handed weapons, but he forgot to mention that's only while mounted and stuff like that. He alsi said the player insisted that while multiclassing both classes level together.
>>
>>44443742
The PHB defines unarmored AC as your Dex mod + 10.

The unarmored defense feature lets you add other ability scores to your AC, provided other conditions are met.

Natural Armor does not follow the rules for unarmored ac: a dire wolf has an AC of 14, but a Dex mod of only 2. It's natural armor gives it +2 AC.

>>44443754
>>44443627
Is a powergaming fuck.
>>
File: natural armor is calculative.png (57 KB, 278x109) Image search: [Google]
natural armor is calculative.png
57 KB, 278x109
>>44443485
Page 276 of the DMG. Natural armor is calculative like unarmored defense, so you take the higher of the two calculative values.
>>
>>44443582
>I don't believe there has been an official ruling from sage advice.
Oh, there was. And it was Crawford's own special brand of fucking useless:
www.sage advice.eu/2015/01/29/natural-armor/
>>
>>44444022
There were a hundred other more useful rulings than that.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/?s=natural+armor
>>
It sure is difficult to get a hold of a beholder or mind flayer minis.
>>
>>44444108
Mearls and Crawford give 2 different answers.

Because of course.
>>
>>44444108
Seems like the general answer (that actually makes sense) from those replies is:
>Natural Armor AC is its own AC formula. You may choose the formula you want to use to calculate your AC, but you may only use one (at a time?).
So, basically, use the listed AC from the beast's statblock, or use 10+Dex+Wis.

Or, as Crawford was likely trying to express in >>44444022's quote: Natural Armor constitutes its own kind of 'armor', and therefore does not work with Unarmored Defense.
>>
File: armor calculation.png (41 KB, 268x58) Image search: [Google]
armor calculation.png
41 KB, 268x58
>>44444287
Which is how it works RAW. >>44443980
>>
>>44444287
Crawford also concluded that he'd err on the side of generous.

I have enough problems with my Moon Druid player without him being a Dire Wolf in full plate, so I wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>44443309
Guy in one of my groups must have read Assassinate from the rogue archetype and told the DM that attacks against anyone who hasn't made a turn yet have advantage.

DM is a 3.5 grognard who hasn't read the rules either and allows it.
>>
>>44444499
My DM apparently did character creation for every member of the group, due to not having actual PHBs or the players not knowing where to find the information, and gimped our fighter something fierce. He didn't know that he had an Action Surge or Second Wind despite being 4th Level, and I have a feeling that he didn't know about the archetypes last level.

The player isn't the stupid type, and the DM only has fun when he's threatening our character's lives.
>>
>>44443309
I convinced the DM (with the backing of all other players) to allow fist to be treated as "finesse" so that my barbarian rogue could do slightly above negligible damage with grappling shenanigans.
>>
>Think a flavorfully edgy race/class combo from dandwiki is going to be horribly overpowered, slightly regretting the decision of letting my player get away with this combination.
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shadowcaster_(5e_Class)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dragonfolk_(5e_Race)
(I took off 1 dexterity point because of fear.)

>Test the character out in combat
>Actually pretty fuckin balanced.

I was not expecting this from homebrew. /tg/, what do you think of that combination I just linked?
>>
>>44444135
Reaper makes a pretty good mind flayer and mini-beholder, if you don't mind getting them unpainted.

The thing that really baffles me is the high price of dragonborn minis. Somehow there's barely one to be had for less than $30, with some going into the range of $50. I could not for the life of me tell you why.
>>
>>44444713
I mean, I'd allow it. Finesse refers to weapons that can be used with precision to deal amounts of damage equivalent to use with brute force. That's pretty accurate to fists, provided you have training with them or are a practiced brawler.
>>
>>44445145
I'd allow it simply because the barbarian isn't going to be doing anything very powerful with it (He has to still use his Str to make his rage bonus damage work,) but fists aren't like a piercing weapon that you can just slide into someone without much force. Unless you're doing some aikido kind of shit that's mostly just creative tripping, you need to be strong.
>>
>>44445217
I'd flavor it as "hitting them where it hurts," targeting joints and muscular weak points.
>>
>>44445217
>>44445300
I dunno, there's a reason why a Monk's Martial Arts feature very specifically avoids saying "finesse" when describing the ability to use Dex for unarmed strikes.
>>
>>44443309
Counterspelling a counterspell that's targeted at another spell you're casting at the same time. Absolute bullshit but the DM thinks it's cool
>>
These threads got real slow
>>
>>44445875
Well, Counterspell only has somatic components. It's not unrealistic to believe that the motions could be "tweaked" to counter an incoming Counterspell. Maybe if the initial spell required concentration, the argument could be made.
>>
>>44445941
You can only cast cantrips on the same turn you cast a spell by RAW.
>>
>>44445901
Great contribution!

My players are on the way to a plot of land that they won the deed to, which is near a new city they've never been to.

What should I do with either, as I've been procrastinating planning out the next sessions .
>>
File: UDaGi.jpg (31 KB, 372x520) Image search: [Google]
UDaGi.jpg
31 KB, 372x520
Whats a relatively weak, yet challenging encounter for a group of resource-taxed, level 4 characters in a desert? 3 to possibly 5 of them depending on how many can make the session.

I wanted to throw a bulette stalking them during a vision impairing sandstorm, but that'll fucking kill'em after fighting the elemental in the Christmas special.

I'm at a loss for what to do this encounter and I'm not particularly good at combat design. Is a draconic/reptile heavy setting with barbarians running around, and homebrew suggestions are welcome.
>>
>>44446017
Now they must contend with a fire beyond any they've faced before:
The Local HOA President
>>
>>44446008
>You can only cast cantrips on the same turn you cast a spell by RAW.
That only applies to spells cast as a bonus action. That's why Fighter 2 with a full caster is really strong, since you can Action Surge to truly double-cast.
>>
File: 5e DM Screen.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5e DM Screen.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Reposting from last thread, DM screen typed into pdf. It is 11x17, but I will probably reorganize it into 8.5x11 for printing as well.
>>
I'm about to run an ERP session online and I want to know how to turn puzzles and traps and riddles sexual. What sort of trap could an adventurer fall into that would see them endangered sexually rather than just physically?
>>
>>44446008

This has been confirmed by Crawford that you can use your reaction for a full spell same turn you cast a spell with your Action / Bonus Action.

Wizard A casts Fireball
Wizard B casts Counterspell
Wizard A casts Counterspell to counter and Fireball goes through

Its astounding how much incorrect information is passed around in these threads.
>>
>>44446215

>cinders spray out of a wall that gradually burns away clothing until put out
>dungeon glory hole, use at own risk
>pit of tingling gelatin
>blunted spear trap covered in lube
>bondage-style rope trap
>one of those bdsm sawhorse things rises from the floor
>>
>>44446151

Sandwyrms (basically reskinned Guard / Ambush Drakes or one Wyvern)
>>
>>44446277
>Not playing counterspell ping-pong.
>>
Do you use pre-made adventures but run them in your own worlds?

Do you reskin creatures and monsters for your games?

Could things like OSR be used for 5e?
>>
>>44446307
Sounds more like a comedy session than an ERP.
>>
>>44446334
You only have 1 reaction, so once your counterspell is counterspelled, you can't do anything else, and therefore eat the original spell to the face.
>>
>>44446307
>cinders spray out of a wall that gradually burns away clothing until put out

This is a good one to get things started, make them go through the dungeon naked.

>dungeon glory hole, use at own risk
My players are serious, not simple 'xd there's a benis well i better zuck it' folk so there'd have to be a reason for them to use it. Maybe a simple closed door with a glory hole beside it, implying that it needs to be used for the door to open.

>pit of tingling gelatin
Eh probably a little bit softcore for my tastes.

>blunted spear trap covered in lube
Too improbable, you can't launch large rods at people and expect them to land in vaginas just because they have lube on them.

>bondage-style rope trap
I actually think there's a lot I can do with this. This may not have been what you're suggesting but I'm now thinking that there'll be a rope obstacle (like I used to have to pass in cadets) but every few seconds it changes configuration, in such a way that you'll get strung up if you don't pass through it both successfully and quickly.

>one of those bdsm sawhorse things rises from the floor
Doesn't really sound like a trap to me.

Some good ideas though thanks.

More would be welcome.
>>
>>44446215
Tentacles and grappling everywhere.
Highly lethal combat, except that instead of death, you get raped.
NPCs demand sexual favors in return for help.

Basically, take cues from every nukige ever.
>>
File: Ambush_Drake.png (640 KB, 760x689) Image search: [Google]
Ambush_Drake.png
640 KB, 760x689
>>44446311
I've used Guard Drakes them too much as it is now, and the wyvern does more damage than the bulettte. I did, re-work the Ambush Drake from HotDQ to be more like the winged ones from 3.5.

I could have those dodge in and out of the sandstorm to pick at them in the sandstorm. Does that sound like and interesting encounter?
>>
>>44446277
What is even the point of the bonus spell restriction then? Bonus action spells aren't even that strong.

God, I hate counterspell pingpong so much. It infuriates me that it's a legit tactic.
>>
>>44446151
A fucking horde of dragon-dogs (reskinned kobolds with a claw instead of dagger, and acid breath, instead of rocks)
>>
>>44446371
>make them go through the dungeon naked.
Not what you'd want to do, as it fucks over different characters to different degrees. Players with heavy armor now find themselves completely screwed in combat, whereas Dex-based characters get off scot-free.
>>
>>44446388
>Tentacles and grappling everywhere.
Well yeah the inhabitants will probably be rapists of some sort. Specifically avoiding tentacles or sex with weird alien creatures (unless they're sexy, like elves).

>Highly lethal combat, except that instead of death, you get raped.
There's a thread up about this now but it's not what I'm going for, on account of the meta stuff going on. If someone gets captured I have a 1 on 1 session between them and their capturer.

>NPCs demand sexual favors in return for help.
This is a great idea, simple but versatile, I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.

Thanks

>>44446440
>Not what you'd want to do, as it fucks over different characters to different degrees.
Balance implications can be handled, right now I'm struggling with the ideas side of things. I could make it that there's fresh clothes before combat but they have to go naked through skill challenges or conversations etc.
>>
>>44446151
Just scale the Bulette down. Fluff it as starved/malnourished after wandering the desert for X days
>>
>>44446182
Hmmm...Action Surge + Twin Cast fun?
>>
>>44446419
Why? It's burning two spell slots for only one effect. You speak as if it's consistently done, but players are only going to use it in situations where the spell absolutely needs to go off.
>>
>>44446419
There aren't that many spells that can be cast with your reaction. Moreover, they tend to be, you know, reactions, instead of attack spells.

Contrarily, bonus action spells are far more varied, and can often be offensive in nature. I imagine the restriction is in place so that casters aren't strictly better than martials in combat, shitting out a ton of effects in a single turn, and combat isn't basically won by the first caster to win initiative.

But if you're unhappy with it, just houserule it out and see how things go.
>>
>>44446157
Slap em with taxes, fines, and dues? Ugh, I get enough of that shit in real life....time to inflict that on my players methinks.
>>
>>44446419
2 fireballs in a turn is likely to wipe out all but the toughest enemies in a multiple enemy encounter. They don't want that to be something you can do a whole lot.
>>
>>44446519
I built an anti-mage EK and every fucking NPC plays this counterspell shit with me.
>>44446540
>just houserule it out and see how things go.
I'll never get why people suggest this as a solution. 4 times out of 5 you will not be the DM.
>>
>>44446182
>>44446493
>Action Surge
>use bonus action to perform non-magic-related action
>can cast Fireball twice

>Action Surge
>use bonus action to cast bonus action spell
>can only cast cantrips now
>can't even Fireball once

>mfw
>>
>>44446641
That's less of a game problem and more of a "your DM is a cunt who enjoys shutting down players" problem.
>>
>>44446676
System supported faggotry is a much harder beast to kill
>>
>>44446641
No, but you're capable of suggesting things to the DM. And if your point is valid (you likely wouldn't be suggesting if it wasn't), your DM isn't a massive faggot (you likely wouldn't be playing with him if he was) and you are competent at presenting your own opinions in a coherent argument (you have time beforehand to organize your points so this hopefully shouldn't be a problem), you should be just fine.
>>
>>44446641
>>44446676
Shocking grasp removes reactions. EKs have access to that. Arms of Hadar from warlocks and one of the options on open hand technique does too. Shutting down reactions unquestionably stops the counterspell ping pong.

Also if you can remove the components on your own counterspell, say via subtle spell, the other caster cannot see that you are casting a spell, and counterspell's trigger is that you must be able to see a creature within 60 feet casting. Those 2 are perfectly valid at my table but a dedicated asshole might just say "he can still tell you're casting" instead of rewarding creativity.
>>
>>44446711
The DM just thinks counterspell battles are in the spirit of high magic D&D. Two people have argued against it to no avail. With official rulings now supporting him, it's a lost cause.
>>
>>44446898
>The DM just thinks counterspell battles are in the spirit of high magic D&D
I'd be inclined to agree if they were more creative "counterspelling", like as a reaction to a lightning bolt spell, I could cast a wall of stone in between us, or I could use Telekinesis to redirect my opponent's Fireball.

But it's not that, it's "Counterspell".
>>
>>44446898
Anon, if your issue is casters using equivalent resources to negate each other, I don't quite see the argument behind it.

You're using your reaction and a spell slot to negate another caster's reaction and spell slot. Is that so much of a problem?
>>
>>44446969
Because action and bonus action spells take time to cast. That's why they consume actions on your turn. Only reaction spells can be cast reactively - but even then, you can't cast more than one per round.

That said, I suppose you could try to persuade your DM to let you ready an action to cast a spell in response to your opponent's casting, and that, if your spell would logically counter the enemy spell by the usual elemental rock-paper-scissors, their spell should be negated.
>>
>>44447050
>That said, I suppose you could try to persuade your DM to let you ready an action to cast a spell in response to your opponent's casting, and that, if your spell would logically counter the enemy spell by the usual elemental rock-paper-scissors, their spell should be negated.

Yeah, I'm the forever DM in my group, and was trying to figure out how I could make the above mentioned work.

AS a player, that's exactly what I'd do: ready a spell without revealing the condition I'm looking for (but have a specific spell readied).

AS a DM, I would let them do it, then when it triggers, ask for a Concentration check to see if they cast in time.
>>
>>44446468

Enemy spells/effects having a strong emphasis on the erotic. Rather than paralyze, it gives a strong orgasm that incapacitates the PC etc.

Poisons that have a countdown to sexual frenzy, or make the PC fall in lust with the first living thing they look at.

Rather than locks needing keys, make them have to be fucked open. Lockpicks can be dildos/fleshlights. (This might be a bit goofy)

Carrying on from the cinders burning off clothes idea, provide bondage armour afterwards. Sexy AND protective(ish).

A magic trap that opens after a certain amount of pain/pleasure has been caused in front of it.

Traps which (when failed) activate cuffs or chains that pull PCs into compromising positions.
>>
>>44446980
In my opinion, the counter to having your own spell counterspelled would be to cast it in a higher slot. This forces the counterspeller to gamble and guess what slot you're using and match it or make a save, reflecting that it's just harder to counter the spells of a more experienced caster. It also makes the abjurer's class feature that much more valuable. It seems a more cerebral route than just turning it into a counterspell duel. That just strikes me as unimaginative, unsatisfying and silly, especially considering all the focus this edition had on reigning in magic with concentration spells and the bonus action casting rule.
>>
>>44447180
>Rather than locks needing keys, make them have to be fucked open. Lockpicks can be dildos/fleshlights. (This might be a bit goofy)
Final locked chest in the dungeon is actually a monstergirl mimic. While you could simply fight her, she is not initially anything beyond indifferent to the party, and it is far less dangerous to simply persuade her through appropriate checks to yield the treasure she is guarding by which I mean you charm her through speech or magic and then fuck her raw and optionally waifu her after
>>
>>44446569
You're thinking too small.
> party takes possession of deeded land
> local Baron welcomes them
> introduces them to other petty lords and landed gentry
> serious stepford shit going on
> neighbors disappear one by one
> conspiracy and intrigue
> meanwhile, party is building a manor on their land
> Baron and ilk complain about architecture, code, zoning, whatever
> Assassins break in when party disregards
> you Hot Fuzz now

>>44446334
brb, homebrewing a dead man's volley mechanic
>>
>>44447352
Aaaand you just wrote the plot for the next few sessions. Bravo.
>>
Luckily there's a very detailed and nice fanmade supplement, but why the hell is there NO specifics at all for alchemy/brewing potions and gathering herbs in vanilla at all?
>>
>>44443485
>>44443582
>>44443980

>https://docs.google.com/document/d/13qBFPPnampEroJ67ZrqesBdjf4rN9SGlEHIJeurSFig/edit

It says in section 5:
> Now, while in beast form, you also get natural armor. This natural armor stacks with unarmored defense, so while in wild shape form, your ac is 10 + natural armor + DEX + WIS.

I realize this is not official and not cited with a source, but just wanted to throw that in there.
>>
So a month from now I'll be stepping down from DM and I'll finally be able to roll a character.

I want to roll a Crossbow wielding fighter with a Merchant guild background.
I'm intending to back up the range of the crossbow with a buckler and shortsword.

Can I run a High Dex fighter with high charisma to be a suave smooth talker?
>>
>>44447790
Yes. Next?
>>
>>44447790
Do whatever the fuck you want. Apart from the Eldritch Knight archetype, Fighters are pretty open about their secondary attribute.
>>
>>44443852
I've been DMing since 3.5 came out more than 10 years ago, so maybe I'm a little old school. I chose to interpret the rules, which are actually not all that clearly written, in the same way that it worked in 3.5.

That is: bonuses of the same type do not stack. If you have natural armour and plate mail, you don't get two armour bonuses. However, other armour boosters (such as a Cloak of Protection or a class feature that is basically applied phlebotinum, i.e. a monk somehow adding their fucking WISDOM bonus to their AC) are not "armour", and still apply.

So what next? Are you going to tell me that Cloak of Protection doesn't stack with chainmail? Or an inherent magical bonus to a +1 armour set doesn't stack with the bonus it already has?

Benefits should always be interpreted broadly, and exclusions narrowly.

>>44444348
If your dire wolf wears fucking full plate then
a) its natural armour does not count (see above); and
b) it isn't unarmoured, so the monk's unarmoured defence doesn't apply
>>
>>44447886
There's no interpretation to be made. The rule books explicitly state you choose one calculation or the other. Monks don't have "add Wisdom to AC" they have "While unarmored your AC is 10 + Dex + Wis." Natural armor is not a +X bonus to add onto that calculation. It's all in the wording, something a 3.5 DM should be familiar with.
>>
>>44447886
Cloak of Protection does not say "Your AC is 10 + Dex +1." It says you "add +1 to your AC." It is not an alternative AC calculation like unarmored defense. Unarmored defense does not say "add +X to AC, X=Wisdom."

Armor works on the same principle as unarmored defense. They provide an alternative AC calculation. Studded Leather is "your AC is 12 + Dexterity." Full Plate is "your AC is 18."

The books say it works this way and the developers say it works this way. If you say otherwise, that's your houserule and not the actual rules.
>>
>>44447709
Using >>44444348's model:
> Druid takes moon circle at level 2
> wildshapes to dire wolf for combat
> natural armor mod of +2, 14 AC total
> MCs to monk at 3
> assume starting wis score of at least 16 (+3), because Druid
> 17 AC when wildshaped, minimum
> no skill penalty for wearing heavy armor
Knowing a few people who'd do this, it's more likely they'd push that +3 wis mod to at least +4. You're looking at a dire wolf wearing the equivalent of full plate, c without ANY of the drawbacks for wearing full plate, without the need for heavy armor proficiency, on top of 37 extra hp and 2d6 damage dice at LEVEL 3.

I really don't give a rat's ass what the Google doc says; that shit ain't right.
>>
>>44447886
>If your dire wolf wears fucking full plate
Not literal full plate, jackass, the equivalent AC of full plate.

If you're benefiting from natural armor, you get 14. If you're benefiting from monk-flavored unarmored defense, you get 12+wis mod. You don't get both.
>>
>>44447709
Some random person's uncited guide is not a rules authority in any way, and it contradicts what's actually written in the books.
>>44444317
>>
>>44443309
I'm a first time tabletop/roleplaying player, and I'm GMing for four other first timers. Please help, /tg/.

1. We're running 5e (of course) with the pre-made Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure on roll20. I want to keep it somewhat basic, but I've read a lot of stories on this board and I know shit can go wrong. Knowing my players, shit will go all kinds of wrong.

2. I'm setting up maps and stuff on roll20, but the booklet says I shouldn't let my players see the map. The majority is blacked out for them (to avoid any spoilers/information they haven't learned yet) and all my encounters are on the GM layer, where they can't see them. Should I just give them pretty concept art on their screen or is my current setup fine?

3. I only have the player's handbook, and I think it might be incomplete. Do you guys have PDFs for that and the DM guide? (The DM guide I found is missing the first third.) And do I need any of the core books? If I decide to keep going as a DM in the future then yeah, I'll definitely read them, but for now I assume what I have is fine.

So far all I know is that one guy is playing a halfling rogue. The game starts in two days. We are so fucked.
>>
>>44448706
The PHB is rules-complete, and the DMG is not required to DM. The DMG is more optional rules and setting creation guidelines. If you've got the PHB and LMoP, you're good to go.

That said, all published material is in the mega in the op.

You're not fucked. Have a good game.
>>
>>44448779
Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. I must have missed the mega link, I did take a look at the OP though.
>>
If you can only choose one, do you choose to be optimized or to be "flavorful"?
>>
>>44449587
Why do you have to choose? Flavor comes from more than just the mechanical options you pick.
>>
>>44449587
Given the choice, I choose to not play with people who force me to make arbitrary choices.

Wait, was that hypothetical?
>>
File: postcard_autismAndCommunication.png (135 KB, 821x632) Image search: [Google]
postcard_autismAndCommunication.png
135 KB, 821x632
How do you run conversations?

How much do you rely on rolling Charisma checks? Do you use the optional attitude system from the DMG?

Do you use direct speech or reported speech?
>>
>>44447352
>>44447453
> THEY'RE NOT EVEN FROM 'ROUND HERE
>>
>>44449587

Flavourful. I enjoy the success of winning, but I also appreciate losing when it makes the game more entertaining. So a lot of the time I'll make poorly-optimized characters if it feels interesting or I think it'll make the game more enjoyable.

Of course, it does make a few people mad. "Why did you choose to make a blind character? That's so stupid. Why not just be an 18 Str half-orc barbarian?"

I guess this can go the opposite way if your hopeless failure of a character gets the party killed or constantly slows the game down. Luckily that hasn't happened to me yet.
>>
>>44450068
>How much do you rely on rolling Charisma checks? Do you use the optional attitude system from the DMG?
I go off the DMG's advice and only use them when they're trying to get them to do something. Some deception and intimidation might come in to play between them, mostly to see behavior changes.

>Do you use direct speech or reported speech?
Both, interchangeably.
>>
File: 1451430549123.png (359 KB, 734x552) Image search: [Google]
1451430549123.png
359 KB, 734x552
>GM takes us all on a roadtrip
>Says he found a treasure map in his grandfathers stuff
>After days of searching we finally see the map
>It's the game board we use for D&D
>>
>>44450660
>he doesn't prepare an elaborate LARP for his players
>>
>>44450780
Oh no, I've seen Mazes and Monsters.
>>
>>44446641

>4 times out of 5, you will not be the DM.

5 times out of 4, I am the DM.
>>
>>44450855
It really seems like /tg/ is 80+% DMs.
>>
>>44446468

just out of curiosity, what's the guy/girl split?
>>
I've finally hit level 14 with my Eldritch Knight and I was hoping /5eg/ would have some sugestions for the third level spell I should take. Haste and Fly are my frontrunners but Slow is also really tempting.
>>
>>44451301
Haste and Fly should indeed be your priorities.
>>
Do I buy the Player's Handbook for half off on Amazon or full price through my FLGS?

I'm going to get it through Amazon anyway, because the FLGS is getting my money for Shadowrun, but I wanted to see people's opinions
>>
>>44451404
Be a cheap piece of shit and just download them from the Mega.
>>
>>44451457
I want a physical copy. Plain and simple. Same reason I'm going to buy Shadowrun's core rulebook even though I've got the PDF downloaded
>>
>>44451404

Is your Local store staffed by cool people who help you out or dicks who dick about before dicking you around so they can dick you out of your money?

My local store is the latter, so I buy my shit off amazon. Before I moved and actually had a good Gaming store I would buy my stuff there; sure it was a little more expensive but I felt that supporting the local shop that actually cared was worth it.
>>
>>44451362

Yes, unfortunately I can only take one of them and I'm having trouble deciding.
>>
>>44451560
if chaotic take Fly, if lawful take Haste

If neutral, you're fucked. Maybe convince your DM that you get a spell that has 50% chance to do either and you have to roll an acrobatics check every time you use it or you fall prone
>>
>>44451543
They dicked me on the price of a pound of dice, but everything else has been reasonable.
>>
>>44447886
>I chose to interpret the rules, which are actually not all that clearly written, in the same way that it worked in 3.5.
They are perfectly clearly written and their intent has been confirmed by developers. You are purposefully choosing to interpret them wrong. And if you really want to houserule the already very strong moon druid into being even better for some reason, that's your business. But don't pretend it's not just that -- a houserule that directly changes how the system normally works.
>>
>>44451404
Amazon. Attend paid events and buy dice at your FLGS when you forget yours.
>>
>>44451560
Do you find yourself engaged in melee or ranged combat more often? Do you find your mobility lacking? Or do you just wish you could end combats faster?
>>
File: a7c.png (178 KB, 326x513) Image search: [Google]
a7c.png
178 KB, 326x513
How do I have fun playing a Cleric /5eg/? My monk just died and the party already has a warlock, fighter, and bladesinger wizard; I'm not seeing much more alternative in what the party needs.
>>
>>44452086
What skills does your party have covered?

And what level are you at now?
>>
>>44452036

Melee, as I run up and hit things with the biggest fuck-off weapon I can hold in two hands. My mobility is kind of lacking, but I get Arcane Charge next level that lets me teleport whenever I use action surge so that isn't a big concern for me. And really I just want to be more self-reliant. Our DM hasn't given us any haste items and flying stuff is really rare; being able to save the wizard a spell would be a big boon to the group.
>>
File: 1442126643368.jpg (58 KB, 335x335) Image search: [Google]
1442126643368.jpg
58 KB, 335x335
>>44452178
Looking at it now, we don't have any face or roguish skills. I'd roll up a bard but we're a party of 4 with no source of heals, and bard ones aren't the best.

We're level 3, so no real multiclassing shenanigans.
>>
>>44450894
Players are cattle; they only know of the books, a limited realm of possibilities. DMs are akin to adventurers the player's claim to emulate; we dive into the dark depths to return with precious resources.
>>
File: pooptato.gif (48 KB, 300x296) Image search: [Google]
pooptato.gif
48 KB, 300x296
>>44452331
As a fellow DM: please, quit with the pretentious wank.
>>
>>44452359
I was feeling wanky. And sarcastic.
>>
>>44452298
Lore Bards have the best heals in the game. Just steal heals from other classes, especially the highly efficient aura of vitality from the paladin list. Don't discount song of healing during short rests either. More potent heals are a 1 level dip into life cleric away.
>>
>>44452288
You wouldn't be saving him a spell, though. You'd be saving him a spell slot level.

Anyway, I'd go with Haste, since Fly is less useful if you're going to be beside enemies anyway, and, of course, you already have a primary caster.
>>
File: DMGII.png (364 KB, 990x1305) Image search: [Google]
DMGII.png
364 KB, 990x1305
Adapting skill challenges for 5E: can it be done?

Maybe drop the "skill check difficulty class by level" table (since it no longer applies) and use everything else, as-is?
>>
>>44452550
Oh shit you're right, this might be a great idea. Thanks anon!

Considering making a deathsinger and raise dead
>>
>>44451404
Either way, make sure it's the most recent version, with all the errata.
>>
>>44452620
Goodberry is also efficient for a level 1, especially with the 1 level life cleric dip. Aura of Vitality out of combat gets crazy efficient with that dip too.

You'll make it to level 6 on Cure Wounds and Healing Word native to the Bard list just fine. You only really need to be able to bring someone up from 0 in-combat anyway.

Maybe grab stuff like Heal and Greater Restoration at higher levels to be sure you can clear nasty stuff, and remember bard has an 9th-level exclusive healing spell if you actually make it that far.
>>
File: noncombat challenges.png (473 KB, 368x821) Image search: [Google]
noncombat challenges.png
473 KB, 368x821
>>44452614
Isn't this more or less equivalent, without adding mechanical complexity into the equation?
>>
>>44452298
Why don't you become a Priestess of Lolth. The Trickery Domain gives you some sneaky stuff. Being evil might be more exciting for you. Just say that a whim of Lolth sent you to the surface to adventure or whatever. You could stand there, whip in hand, lashing out at those that would defy you. You could cast your healing spells through a duplicate, allowing you better coverage of the team. You could also do some sacrifices. Those make clerics more exciting. Not to mention, with Lolth as the center of Drow society, your character has firm motivation and high stakes.
>>
>>44452086
Get rid of the idea that cleric means healbot. The best way to keep people alive is to minimize the damage they take in the first place. The Hold Monster you cast that enables your party to rape a monster before it gets to attack is probably worth more HP saved than the Cure Wounds you could cast with the slot.
>>
>>44452298
Fuck 'em, play what you want.

If they need that much, they likly are just playing what they want with no thought to anything else.

Bard if you want to be useful.

Bear druid is still hilarious at this level.
>>
>>44452331
Obvious bait but there is a valid point there. As an inexperienced DM running with inexperienced players, I have to say that the only player who makes a real effort at being creative is the only guy who happened to DM once before. It's not really that they are incapable of being creative, it's more that they seem to focus on the damage part of their abilities. For example, while doing battle in a place literally packed with flammables:

>this lightning shit does this many dice damage
>this fire shit does less
>better use lightningz

I generally try to inspire them for something better whenever I can. For example, when they finally decide that they can shapeshift into something to set up an ambush:

>they all shapeshift into fucking boxes
>I intentionally walk an incredibly weak enemy near the boxes and have him think aloud
>Why are there so many identical fucking boxes here, did someone move half the warehouse into the dining hall?
>it makes a perception check
>they kill it
>they all complain about how shapeshifting was a stupid idea if I'm gonna just do a "random check" and find them out
>I just wanted to you to shapeshift to at least 5 fucking different things or something that was relevant to the room
>I was planning to walk the real encounter in the dining hall when you shapeshifted back into place
>facepalm

I know this might just be me wanting to railroad the way they play, but it gets really old having the same people do the same actions every battle without exception. Especially when I have to change my rolls in order to keep them alive because they didn't think to do anything but attack head on when I went to the trouble of setting up and describing a couple of fun gimmicks they could have tried to fuck the encounter up the ass.

How can I make my players realize that they can do so much more than roll dice without outright telling them "Oh you know, you have that spider spell thing that lets you climb up walls and shit"
>>
>>44452717
This is just for experience points. There aren't different degrees of failure or success, or different TYPES of failure or success depending how the task was completed, different characters don't get involved in the challenge (outside of maybe using the Help action or a spell), it doesn't cut off at different points, there aren't skill checks that give some kind of bonus or work towards a different goal.

I'm making it sound complicated, but a skill challenge like this fits on an index card, and it's super easy to run with the 4E DMG2 rules (not the stupid DMG1 ones where they have different numbers of failures).
>>
File: 321.jpg (144 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
321.jpg
144 KB, 600x439
>>44452705
Good ideas, think I'll be going with this. Question is, is a cleric dip worth this early? I will be missing out on level 2 spells for a little while.

>>44452728
Sounds hilarious, but sadly my team's not very evil.

>>44452767
DM likes to throw multiple monsters at us instead of a couple boss ones, any suggestions on alternatives? I considered blaster cleric, but that just looked like lolnotasorcerer

>>44452801
Only the fighter's any good at D&D, but our DM won't go lenient so I have to carry some extra weight. We also have a hardcore rule where we can only spend hit die during a long rest. That's why I felt we need a healer most.

>>44452947
I feel sorry for you anon, and I know your pain.
>>
>>44452986
Admittedly I never tried to run a 4e game so I never read up on the skill challenges, but aren't they essentially just a bunch of different skill checks that can all potentially lead to achieving all or part of a single goal?

Why do you need additional rules for that?
>>
>>44452986
You create an encounter that does not involve combat (and thus contains ability checks and quick thinking), determine its difficulty based on the descriptors, then reward XP accordingly, instead of turning it into another disparate minigame like combat is.

I think porting skill challenges over would be a waste of time, myself.
>>
>>44452767
Clearly the best way to minimize damage taken would be to send upwards of 100 skeletons instead in the place of your party. To that end, everyone should build towards Necromancer Wizard 6 / Chainlock 11s and make periodic trips to graveyards.
>>
>>44453028
Dip cleric only if healing is really important to you. You'll otherwise be missing out on your level 3 Bard feature otherwise, in addition to level 2 spells. Particularly if you're going Lore Bard, Cutting Words is also great at mitigating damage before it's even taken.
>>
>>44452947
Sounds like you have idiot players.
>>
Quick question as a DM;

One of my players, a rogue/warlock, has been working with me on plotlines for their character, and giving them a rival came up. This has always been a tricky matter with my group, as the party leader tends to go out of their way to never let an enemy retreat and seems annoyed when a fight doesn't end in either the complete slaughter of the enemy or a TPK, so recurring enemies have tended to be a bit of a rarity.

I'm making the rival character a rogue/warlock as well, taking the Undying Light patron so when they KO him, he gets back half his HP and flashbangs the party.

What are good ways for a level five or six warlock with a three-level dip in rogue to use the turn the blindness lasts to make their escape?
>>
>>44453175

Just clarifying, because I realize now my wording was kinda vague, a Warlock 5 or 6/Rogue 3, level 8 or 9 character overall. Swashbuckler rogue, if that helps.
>>
>>44453175
Something that teleports them , or renders them invisible, or something that makes them move so fast they are out of dangers within one or two turns.
>>
>>44453028
>Good ideas, think I'll be going with this. Question is, is a cleric dip worth this early? I will be missing out on level 2 spells for a little while.

The only difference it will make early in the game is you'll be proficient in heavy armor to avoid some damage yourself. The efficiency play is a something to be considered much later.

>DM likes to throw multiple monsters at us instead of a couple boss ones, any suggestions on alternatives? I considered blaster cleric, but that just looked like lolnotasorcerer

Blindness/Deafness casted out of a higher level slot gets multiple targets and does not require concentration. Anything else is domain-dependent. Tempest Domain is notable for having Sleet Storm. It's a really good spell for cutting off a large contingent of mooks.

>>44453082
Just because you decide not to healbot as a cleric doesn't mean you NEVER cast heals. It just means you consider what else is on the spell list and think proactively instead of reactively.
>>
>>44453175
>>44453199
Misty Step, Invisibility and Darkness are all 3rd-level Warlock spells. Expeditious Retreat is also an option.
>>
>>44453175

misty step
invisibility
expeditious retreat
spider climb
mirror image
fear
fly
gaseous form
>>
>>44453175
A dip in Way of Shadow Monk might work better.

Otherwise, Expeditious Retreat? Misty Step? Both work off bonus actions. Maybe fire off a Blindness/Deafness spell as an action.
>>
>>44453250
Multiclassing into cleric only gives you medium armor proficiency.
>>
>>44453175
>Really hard to spot trapdoor leading into tunnels.
>Tunnels have a couple of harmless but annoying traps and end up in a larger cave room.
>Center of the room looks like something exploded there shortly before
>Wisdom/Intell check lets them know there was some kind of one way teleport ritual they don't know how to replicate
>Enemy dropped treasure and half burnt clue due to general panicrage of escape
>>
>>44453287
Life cleric gets heavy as a level 1 class feature, not as a base proficiency.
>>
>>44453287

Unless you go into an archetype that has heavy armor proficiency.
>>
>>44453276
>>44453272
>>44453268

Well, he's already got Cunning Action so he can Dash as a bonus, and while darkness stuff is good, half the fucking party is optimized around darkness, so I'm chucking a light-based character at them. Turning invisible and using Dash to just outrun them until Dimension Door becomes available would probably work, though, cheers.
>>
>>44453298
>>44453310
Oh whoops, thought war domain gave that.
>>
>>44453175
Stat him how you want and give him abilities that you want him to have.

You're the DM and he's an NPC, you don't need to build him like a PC. It's not worth the effort.
>>
>>44453361
It's nice to have the character built like a PC though, it gives the players who complain an explanation of how it can be done to make it fair.
>>
>>44453361
Doesn't the DMG have a whole bunch of guidance on how to build monsters like that?

I'm guessing he's a good DM who wants the character to have a PLAN for how to escape, but it's not going to be: "This character can cast the spell Teleport once per day as a bonus action."
>>
>>44453345
Life, Nature, Tempest, and War all give heavy armor proficiency as a class feature.
>>
>>44453497
I end up doing this with important NPCs just because I never get to make true PCs of my own. It helps me to know each class inside and out so I know what I can expect of players.
>>
>>44453591
I make characters for the hell of it, so that if a player's character dies I have a billion options for their character's replacement, since my players take forever to make new ones by themselves.
>>
>>44453497
>It's nice to have the character built like a PC though, it gives the players who complain an explanation of how it can be done to make it fair.
There are tons of monsters who can do shit players can't do. Basilisks can petrify with a gaze, troglodytes have an aura of stink, and shadows can lower Strength scores. There are NPCs with multiattack at low CRs, way before any martial gets an extra attack. The system doesn't care about "fair" in that regard and the explanation to the players should be more of a plot point than "yeah, he has warlock levels."
>>
>>44453635

This reminds me, what does /tg/ think of these:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

The pregenerated characters? Now in a .zip:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/CharacterSheets1-10.zip

I like them but I think I'd be annoyed if someone handed me one at a convention.

"What do you want to play as?"
"I'll take the halfling monk."
"Great. You're a lawful good acolyte and member of the Order of the Gauntlet, your ideal is that you always try to help those in need and your flaw is that you're too trustful when it comes to people who claim to share your faith. But you can choose your character's name!"
>>
>>44453881
I wouldn't do the alignment, and any personality or backstory I give the character is completely optional.
>>
>>44453881
I can understand pregenned stats if you're not starting at a low level, but level 1 to 2 characters, sometimes even level 3 characters if you're not playing a caster, are pretty quick to stat up if you know the rules.

And it's good to know how the characters you're DMing for fit into the plot as well, instead of having to fit in random shmucks from nowhere who are involved just because. That said, I'd give players quite a bit of room to play their characters however they want too.
>>
>>44452086
Being a dedicated healer is pretty fulfilling, in my experience at least. Life clerics have a lot of your essentials covered as domain spells (bless, cure wounds, revivify, etc.) so you can fill your prepared list with whatever you feel like. Your channel divinity alone will carry a lot of the healing weight and your heals are stronger anyway, so it's not like you're obligated to save every slot for healing. If you grab magic initiate you can get shillelagh and goodberry without having to multiclass, which is awesome.
>>
Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Blade Warlock, or Bladesinger?
>>
>>44454147
Valor bard or paladin.
>>
>>44454147
Blade warlock is too much work to do less damage than eldritch blast.

Bladesinger is good in melee but still has a heavy casting focus. You still have to deal with low HP unless your Con is high, but then you're maintaining 3 ability scores.

Arcane Trickster and Eldritch are easy to work with only one high ability score but Bladesinger has the same spellcasting power by about level 6.
>>
>>44454160
You're absolutely right

Arcante Trickster, Bladesinger, Blade Warlock, Eldritch Knight, Paladin, or Valor Bard?
>>
Would a basilisk's stone gaze effect someones backpack and loot. I want my party to find 3 stone adventurers with a greater restoration scroll in one of their backpacks so they can revive one.
>>
>>44454359
Eldritch Knight/Bladesinger or Devotion Paladin/Undying Light Bladelock.

I personally also hold a fondness for Warlock/Lore Bard, though not for melee.
>>
File: 1433203180921.jpg (627 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1433203180921.jpg
627 KB, 1000x1200
>>44454805

>undying light

Do people seriously let their players run UA shit?
>>
>>44454535
I would say yes, but you could say that those who only say the basilisk in their peripheral vision only have their body turned to stone, and not their gear.

>>44454972
Yes.
>>
>>44452947

>this lightning shit vs this fire shit in a place packed with flammables

if you think your players aren't being creative because they didn't light things on fire, then you should remember that Lightning Bolt "ignites flammable objects in the area
that aren't being worn or carried".
>>
>>44454972
The only blatantly overpowered UA class is that 5 level ranger, and only for its 1st level.
>>
>>44454972

What better way to learn if something's good or bad than to test it in actual play instead of just reading it and guessing?
>>
Just ran the first two episodes of Hoard of the Dragon Queen. Told my players to start at level 2 instead of 1, and holy buckets am I glad I did. How the hell is that first chapter supposed to be a level one episode?
>>
>>44453881
It's an improv aid. The people who go to cons wanting to roleplay a character they made up will prepare one beforehand. Con pregens are for people who just want to try out the game or who just want to have some fun.
>>
>>44455094
I think he was thinking more in terms of wizards and some player's focus on the spell that does the most damage over the flavor or potential weakness of future enemies.
>>
>>44455211

Because it might fuck what could otherwise could result in a good moment or game. Changing someone's class features in the middle of a campaign would be kind of a bitch too I'd imagine.

If the game was explicitly for playtesting then I wouldn't see the problem in it though.
>>
>>44454535
I would say it would not turn to stone unless you are using similar rules for fire spells and special attacks in regards to gear. Normally dragons fire breathe and spells like burning hands and fireball never affect carried gear and though I have not read up on the baskalisk stone gaze ability I would assume it rules the same way.
>>
>>44455367
Here's the quote from the PHB:

>A petrified creature is transformed, along with any nonmagical object it is wearing or carrying, into a solid inanimate substance (usually stone). Its weight increases by a factor of ten, and it ceases aging.

So the pack is turned to stone, by RAW.
>>
>>44455291

I'm just saying that you can use lightning bolt to deal the most damage and still ignite flammable objects
>>
>>44455258
Well I'm about to start HotDQ so I won't ask for details but how bad was it? Lvl 1 PC's are usually very fragile in my experience.
>>
>>44455466
Ah, ok then, but the scroll would be fine since it is magical. The only question is whether the scroll is inside or outside the backpack (sidepockets on packs are a thing).
>>
>>44455467
True, but what about thunder damage (known as sonic in every other edition, fucking wotc)? A player would likely choose to do 6d8 thunder over 5d8 fire if they were the same spell level, even with the rules for flammability.
>>
>>44455466
>>44455536

The adventurer could have dropped the scroll as they were being petrified.
>>
>>44455536
The backpack would become solid stone, so I'd rule that any attempt to break it open risk damaging the scroll, with a roll of craft (stone) (or whatever the right skill to use in 5e is).
>>
>>44455536
>>44455552
Could have one of them with the pack slung to the ground, digging into it. They have to break the stone backpack open to get at the scroll inside.
>>
>>44455619
>>44455621

Why would they break into the backpack though? Scroll kind of poking around?
>>
>>44455472

I had a party of 5, all level 2 players. On 7 separate occasions people needed to be stabilized, either by our Cleric or saving throws.

I also ran every mission in the book, along with a couple others. A sneakier party can bypass a lot of the damage. I, however, do not run a game for a sneaky party.

Spoilers below:
That said, I wouldn't advise that you be scared to kill someone in the right spot. If they decide that they really want to try to fight the dragon, kill them, he does like 12D10 damage.

And don't let them survive Cyanwrath. It's supposed to send a message. The death of the fighter gave the entire group the drive to want to jump right into episode two.
>>
>>44455667
But Cyanwrath is too cool to live, and he's dies like a chump in chapter 2 from what I remember.
>>
>>44455667
I'm playing, not running. Also I planned to play a serious character in this campaign (I've been playing a very unserious warlock in an OotA campaign and it's fun but I don't like playing more than one overtly silly character at a time.) So hopefully I won't die in the first chapter.
>>
File: 1445914594580.png (180 KB, 850x545) Image search: [Google]
1445914594580.png
180 KB, 850x545
If a primarily melee-focused homebrew class got an ability that worked like this:
>acquired at level 2
>ranged spell attack that uses Constitution as its casting stat
>60 foot range
>deals necrotic damage (an archetype can change it to acid or cold)
>can be used a number of times equal to Constitution modifier (minimum 1)
>any uses exceeding that cost 1 HP per character level
>an archetype can extend its range and add minor effects to it like splash damage, knockback, or knockdown
How much damage do you think would be fair for it?
>>
>>44456118

if an archetype changed it to acid or cold it would be a direct downgrade
>>
>>44456162
And this is why dnd fucking sucks; fun flavor is viewed as a downgrade (because it actually is)
>>
>>44456185

blame monsters for not having enough specific resistances to exploit, you can fix that if you DM

if the acid and cold had a different effect like slow or some other gimmicky shit then it would be more flavorful and not a waste

and is it choosing between necrotic and the new damage or just replacing it with the new damage? if it's former then it isn't a problem
>>
>>44456162
>>44456185

It's homebrew. Obviously the creator just needs to know it needs an upgrade of some other kind if acid/cold types would be a downgrade with no compensation. Isn't it good flavor if acid and cold do something a little different from necrotic?
>>
>>44456118
Don't make a full class. Balancing a full 20-level progression + archetypes is a pain.

I'd recommend a fighter or paladin archetype instead. Less work, a framework and examples to compare to. For fighter, give them a few limited abilities at 3rd (3 max, to fit with BM) that go off the HP drain thing and expand from there. Maybe make the necrotic one effect (lowers maximum HP so they can't heal?), cold have another (reduced speed, obviously), acid another (maybe temporary lower their AC or something, that's a pretty unique effect all things considered). Make the extra damage 1d6 and extra uses deal the same amount in necrotic to them.
>>
Ugh...you ever have a night where you're just rolling really shit? I'm the party barbarian, party descends into this evil temple looking thing that the paladin sensed. I can't hit anything, rolling sub-10's for the entire first combat. Second combat I spend two rounds dashing just to get into the fight. So, at the end, the druid and myself (the druid weak from the beating he'd taken because I couldn't kill anything) are looting a couple of chests when up pops a mummy. Poor druid gets elected for the mummy's wrath and goes down. Luckily, the mummy is standing right next to a bottomless pit! All I gotta do is pop my rage, grapple the mummy and toss it off the side.

5, 6

Group paladin ends up turning the mummy, but can't provide assistance due to the druid and I being across a very rickety bridge. I drag the druid to within Healing Word range for the Cleric, she says she doesn't have it prepared. Druid three death fails in a row and I fail my one stabilize attempt. Then the Cleric remembers, oops, I did have Healing Word!

I'm sad. I could have saved that druid.
>>
File: Zemus.jpg (149 KB, 683x1000) Image search: [Google]
Zemus.jpg
149 KB, 683x1000
>>44456162
I appreciate that bit of feedback and the acid/cold thing is still kind of up in the air, since I've got a core feature at 11 and 17 that bypasses resistance (and later, immunity) to necrotic damage, but my focus here is on how much damage it should do.

>>44456274
>>44456285
The PC would get to choose which damage type for each use of the feature. Necrotic one round, cold the next, acid the next, etc. I also plan on adding an effect to the acid one that deals half its damage the next round, and the cold one will have a slowing effect.

>>44456347
TOO LATE BRO the class is 50-60% done already. The basics are all there, I just need to tweak things, figure out some wording, come up with some late-game features, and then playtest the shit out of it. I don't know if I'll link it on /tg/ though, I've always had a difficult time getting feedback on /tg/ for large projects, which is why I just ask small questions like "how much damage should this ability do" these days.
>>
>>44456670
(You)
>>
File: wheel skeleton stats.jpg (626 KB, 1035x827) Image search: [Google]
wheel skeleton stats.jpg
626 KB, 1035x827
>>44456670
I think you missed, bro
>>
>>44456744
No, this gets posted all over the board all the time.
Don't even bother replying
>>
>>44456777
Oh, it's a new copypasta? Jolly good then, carry on.
>>
File: Mae.jpg (33 KB, 246x430) Image search: [Google]
Mae.jpg
33 KB, 246x430
Do you think a Centaur would be considered Mounted for the purpose of dual-wielding Lances?
>>
>>44455258
I ran it with my PCs as level 1, I'm pretty sure. It was already many, many weeks ago, and they're already at the end of it... I vaguely remember the druid being the tank because she had multiple health bars with wild shape.
>>
>>44456879
If the centaur were riding another centaur...
>>
>>44457080
I don't allow those kinds of things in my campaign.
>>
>>44457256
Don't be so narrow minded about the mating habits of demi-equines.
>>
>>44456879

Short answer? No.

Longer answer: is this for players or for NPCs? I might allow NPC centaurs to count as "mounted" and use lances, but not dual-wield them. They'd be more lance-and-shield like in your picture.

Players, no. That just encourages the kind of rules-crunching fine-print-analyzing cockery in players that I hate and seek to avoid.
>>
>>44457080

By RAW whatever is riding needs to be a size category smaller then what's being written.
>>
As a DM, how should I go about encouraging players to see goblins as a non-evil society? In my world, there's a territorial dispute between humans and goblins, and I don't want them to side with the humans (if at all) without at least considering the goblins
>>
>>44457485
Architecture, trade routes, common language, goblins not being completely hostile toward them, the human society being a bunch of dicks.
>>
>>44457485

Even if the goblins aren't bad your party is most likely going to side with the humans, it's only natural. Maybe if you made the human society have more than just humans?
>>
>>44457438

...ridden, that was a bizarre typo on my part.
>>
>>44457485
Have the players observe part of a dialogue between human and goblin delegates to see that they are able to behave in a civil manner, rather than simply roam about marauding the areas they enter.
>>
>>44457485
Give them a couple early encounters where the goblins are pretty obviously the good guys who are willing to help them out.
>>
>>44457485
Have you considered making your players Goblins?
>>
>>44457687
but then they'd be sad
>>
File: sad.gif (26 KB, 691x896) Image search: [Google]
sad.gif
26 KB, 691x896
>>44457746
Sad?
>>
>>44457789
SAD
>>
The Sun Blade in the DMG is basically a finesse longsword. Is there anything mechanically neat you can do with it? First thought is that a Fighter/Rogue multiclass could pull off sneak attacks with GWF to make the sneak attack dice more consistent.
>>
File: Numerian_mecha_scorpion.jpg (172 KB, 1680x1120) Image search: [Google]
Numerian_mecha_scorpion.jpg
172 KB, 1680x1120
Have any of your guys' 5e games included science fiction elements? I've always loved the idea of having cybernetics, laser pistols, and robots right alongside magic swords, wizards and dragons.
>>
>>44457746

SAD?!

Anyway, it's an option. Mock up some racial stats for them. Just as some starting points:

Goblin: +2 Dex, +1 Int, Darkvision, 30ft move (goblins have always been speedy buggers). Proficiency with Acrobatics - Goblins are described as being able to weasel their way through holes.

Hobgoblin: +2 Con, +1 Wis OR Cha. Darkvision, 30ft move. Proficiency with Longswords. Once per short rest, can use their reaction to take the Help action, granting an ally within 10 feet advantage on an attack roll.

Bugbear: +2 Str, +2 Dex. Proficiency with Stealth and Survival. Darkvision, 30ft move.

Maybe they'd be attracted to playing new races.
>>
>>44457979
Eberron kinda has that with warforged if you convert a lot of the 3.5 stuff like warforged components and grafts.

I made wereplanes before out of warforged using the lycanthrope rules with constructs instead of animals.
>>
>>44457969
You can do that. Note that GWF adds about .4 damage on average per d6, so you need at least 5 dice before it's better than duelling.
>>
>>44457979

>cybernetics, laser pistols, and robots

Maybe not into full sci-fi territory, but you could be describing Eberron here. Warforged, ancient creation forges, Warforged Titans with magic missile-esque "lasers"...
>>
>>44457979
I haven't yet, but I've got plans for and almost-kinda-sorta scifi thing, but still keeping it mainly fantasy. The high tech stuff is really just powered by magic and is just super advanced spells from an ancient civilization.
>>
>>44458045
Atlantis: The Lost Empire?
>>
>>44458022

>before it's better than dueling

Are you factoring in the d10 damage die for two-handing the sword instead of d8?
>>
>>44457979
In one campaign that was canceled before it could get this far, I was going to have the players visit the Moon, but it was more in a fantasy setting.

See, in the setting, magic is strongest far away from the mundane [this had no mechanical effect, it was just used to describe why wizards prefer private towers and so forth] where mortal notions of whats possible can't interfere.

In addition, magic was getting weaker at a glacial pace, such that while at the beginning of the world gods walked in flesh as mile-tall titans, and spellcasters casually harnessed the ninth level, in the modern day anything past a fifth level spell was almost impossible [very few people who could cast such in the setting].

The strongest mages on the western continent, the Green Circle, appropriately enough had their meeting place on the Moon, where logic is a bitch and there's nothing mundane for miles. But not the science moon, the astrological medieval ideas about the moon, with oceans and shit.
>>
>>44452947

I find players are a lot more creative with their abilities in non-combat situations.

An example from a 5e playtest I was in had the party encounter Too Many Orcs, next to some kind of monster that was chained to the wall.

The DM mentioned in the description that the chain looked like it was about to pop out of the wall, and all sorts of problem-solving happened (we ended up using a ray of frost to make the chain cold and thus brittle, which the DM went along with despite there being no such rule for it).

Unless the fight has an obvious This Is A Puzzle hint, players tend to get in the "optimal" mindset, which discourages creative solutions.

You need a bit of hand-holding to get the players to think creatively (mainly involving making the fight super-hard to win normally) and a bit of a fast and loose adherence to rule minutia to make it work. That's my experience, anyway.

Of course, once players are used to thinking of combat as a puzzle, you can be a bit less obvious about it, but there's some player training needed
>>
Are there any ways outside of Quickened/Twinned spells to attack without having used the Attack action on your turn?
>>
>>44455258

The story that I always hear is that HoTDQ was written before monster manual came out, so the stats on the monsters are abnormally high.
>>
>>44458281
It was also reportedly printed way before being ready; there's a huge errata FAQ found on ENworld that points out or describes all the problems made by said printing.
>>
>>44458333
That's true of all the adventures. There's a lot of inconsistencies in PotA as well, like NPC art not matching descriptions and map scale being way off in some cases (Feathergale Spire is like a full day one-way from Red Larch when it should be an hour's ride iirc).

It's just stuff that happens in any project that is worked on by a sizable group of people over the course of several months.
>>
>>44457687
>>44458004
a pretty neat idea desu, something I'll save for another day though I think
>>44457590
>>44457567
>>44457500
thanks!
>>
>>44458368
Don't they have editors to point out the huge flaws? I found half of the problems listed in my first run-through of the game.
>>
>>44458407

There's like 15 people, total, working on D&D at Wizards, and half of them are marketing.
>>
File: 1334329164853[1].jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853[1].jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>Playing an extremely superstitious cleric styled like a midwife
>One of the other players is a tiefling that has no shadow
>My cleric is convinced without it the tiefling will just fade away
>Spent the downtime of our last two sessions trying to help him "heal" his shadow
>Mixing black ink, honey, and glue and covering the bottom of his feet with it while he slept to try to lure it back
>When that failed I locked him in a cellar to try to lure a new shadow to him
>Finally I ended up dropping 400g on a bottled shadow
>The tiefling refused to drink it like he was supposed to and it escaped the bottle when I tried to force him to drink it
>He ended up having to fight a shadow by himself because I refused to kill it
>I was trying to think of a way to bond them together
Holy shit I haven't had this much fun in years. If I manage to survive the tiefling revenge I will have to see about doing something about those ugly horns next.

The entire time the player of the tiefling looked like pic related.
>>
>>44458420
Why? Why would WotC have so little manpower in a franchise that makes them millions?
>>
>>44458407
Yeah, and they fucked up, clearly. Or maybe internal consistency wasn't on their agenda, focusing more on the text itself than the rules consistency or consistency with illustrations. Either way it's easy stuff to work through, at least in the case of things so far that aren't HotDQ.
>>
>>44458489
Because its still nowhere near the cash cow MtG is, so they view it as a minor project by comparison.
>>
>>44455730

Chap 3, i think. in the temple.
>>
>>44458489
The tabletop portion of D&D is barely profitable at best. The money that Hasbro and Wizards get through them is largely from licensing, thus why 5e's initial releases are tie-ins with the Neverwinter MMO, Sword Coast Legends, FR novels, and related merchandise.
>>
>>44458470
Go Peter Pan on his ass and stitch it to his feet.
>>
File: Scooby-doo-Jew[1].jpg (152 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Scooby-doo-Jew[1].jpg
152 KB, 1200x900
>>44458489
>"Alright guys we finally caught WotC lets see who is really behind all these cheap practices."

In reality its just because they are so fucking cheap.
>>
>>44458535
I wanted to avoid directly harming him. I am not sure what I will try next. I was thinking about dragging him to the local temple to my god (agricultural/healing god) and asking for advice what to do next.
>>
File: existentialcrisis.jpg (164 KB, 695x715) Image search: [Google]
existentialcrisis.jpg
164 KB, 695x715
>>44458027
>>44458014

Yeah I'm aware of Eberron. I reaaaallllyy wish Wizards could release content for the way more interesting settings they have, ie Eberron and Dark Sun. It makes me sad when they insist on focusing on Forgotten Realms and imply they're going towards more vanilla fantasy for the next year or two.

>>44458176
>>44458045
Interesting, so sci-fi in feeling and maybe aesthetic, not so much actual ray guns and electronics and such. These ideas still sounds like cool stuff to me!
>>
>>44458588
Then use a magical glue or something. Carry a cut-out of him and prop in up behind him in important scenes. Paint the back half of his body black so that his body might become accustomed to it. Keep him lit with supernatural lights at all hours; maybe his lack of shadow can be cured with an abundance of light.
>>
File: tumblr_ma488gRo9s1r65aj5[1].gif (468 KB, 325x183) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ma488gRo9s1r65aj5[1].gif
468 KB, 325x183
>>44458654
Oh yes I like this. Thank you for the brilliant ideas.
>>
>>44458651
>I reaaaallllyy wish Wizards could release content for the way more interesting settings they have, ie Eberron and Dark Sun.
The fluff from older editions still works, and homebrewing stuff for 5e honestly isn't that hard. You could probably even enlist help or find stuff already made from /tg/ or reddit.

Eberron is actually a pretty good fit for 5e when you add Hero Points and such on there. For more swashbuckling/big damn hero stuff the setting goes for you can use the shorter rest variant and healing surge variants from the DMG. Having a lot of magic items that don't just increase stuff numerically only makes characters in 5e more versatile, making Eberron potentially even more fun when removed from 3.5e's and 4e's magic item economy stuff.
>>
>>44458651
>eberron and Dark sun
I guess I will just sit alone over here with my Al'Quadim in the dirt. Carry on.
>>
>>44458651
Eberron is pretty easy to run in 5e with some imagination. The only things that are hard to convert are the Artificer and the psionics-related stuff.
>>
>>44458757
There's the UA stuff for both of that, even if it seems a little broken.
>>
>>44458796
if by broken you mean shit than you are correct
>>
>>44458701

Eberron's always been about having relatively low power NPCs, especially wizards but *much* more ubiquitous low-level magic available. But that never really showed through in 3e in my experience, because the demands of wealth-by-level meant that players had to have those high-powered magic items anyway.

In 5e Eberron, there aren't many +1 swords. But there's more interesting gadgets; odd magic items that have fun abilities,but didn't see much use before because they didn't trump the almighty "+ to stats, attacks, saves, or skills" items.

Incidentally, thanks to bounded accuracy, lower-level threats are actually somewhat dangerous in groups, which fits Eberron nicely as well. If your party travels to Xen'drick and discovers an ancient Quori Creation Forge (despite House Cannith's attempts to cover up that they did not invent Warforged themselves), the waves of off-the-line Warforged produced every two rounds are an actual threat - the party must hold them off and get past them while shutting the machine down.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.