[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you intoduce/use the concept of Haki in your setting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Armament Haki.jpg (94 KB, 843x948) Image search: [Google]
Armament Haki.jpg
94 KB, 843x948
How would you intoduce/use the concept of Haki in your setting?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a special ability that can be learned that allows the use of various high level abilities such as empowering your body and strikes to allow you to strike individuals who would normally be immune to normal damage (such as people who can turn their bodies into insubstational substances). This ability can also be extended to any items held by the user such as swords. Another abiliy is the sense Haki which allows you to "feel" the presence of people around you and can vary from being able to read the attack patterns of weaker opponents to detecting the life of people around you (you can even feel when they die as well).

Finally the last ability is the Kings Haki where you basically extert your will and overpower people weaker then you, you could clear a whole room of people simply by staring them down this way.

Some individuals might possess all 3 of these abilities and some only posses one or two or are exceptional with one of them.
>>
>>44437568
Make the Barbarian so angry he can punch ghosts, elementals, and extra-dimensional super beings. Pure unstoppable rage.
>>
The fuck did you just say to me?
>>
>>44437602
This guy does things right.
>>
>>44437568
So... magic?
>>
>>44437568
Tactile telekinesis?
>>
>>44437940

>>44438025

It's not a buff that some caster throws on you since it's something that you do yourself. If anything the closes comparison I could think would be psionics, it's like a combination of giving yourself armored skin and making it so your fists count as magic weapons so yeah a psionic monk of sorts.
>>
>>44437940
It is explicitly not magic as described in setting. Rayleigh, the person teaching the MC about it, says that it's an ability that all humans, and some animals possess.
>>
It's basically Damage Reduction and Magical Weapons.

It functions as a "gate", and serves as an explanation why numbers don't simply overwhelm certain opponents.

Haki users exist in a separate world. They can basically defeat anyone without Haki, and they can only be defeated by those with it. The problem can't be solved by any amount of ordinary people, only those who've passed through the gate (learned haki/have a useful fruit ability) are able to solve the problem.

To set up a gate in such a straightforward way is actually pretty lazy.
>>
>>44438077
So... magic?

>>44438152
Not knowing the source, that explains that. If it's natural, then it's not any more magic than a dragon's flame breath.
>>
>>44437568
>How would you intoduce/use the concept of Haki in your setting?

I wouldn't because this guy raises an excellent point: >>44438211

Haki is just another anime powerlevel mechanic to bypass weaker fights and so forth in shonen anime and I hate that shit because it removes the agency and chaos of everyday people and ordinary situations while simultaneously making climatic fight impossible.

It's a system that's constantly jumping the shark.
>>
>>44437568
I call it chi, give it to monk-equivelents and move on.
Hardening the Body, focussing the body's energy into fists or weapons and sensing other chi is all chi-like behaviour in fantasy anyway.
Dominance isn't exactly that unlikely a power to tack on.
>>
>>44438318

Your missing the point that anyone could learn to do it. I mean it's not like your average day joe is going to be an expert fighter or anything having an ability like Haki just sets those high level inidividual apart in the same way that someone who's fought professionally is set apart from an amateur
>>
>>44437568
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9PCQqBGV0U
a Good explanation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0i4x868Zwc
Armament Haki (some precog haki)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWdFc0bbwA
Kings Haki
>>
It's just shonen ki
>>
>>44437568

My main problem with this stuff is that it's all arbitary. Like, you can always do a narrative asspull by getting REALLY worked up. This doesn't play well with a strictly mechanistic setting, like most RPGs.

I mean, Exalted - Which is the one that seems to be most 'anime-ish' - is also the one with the most rigidly defined roles. There are tiers of Exalted, and once you're there, you're stuck. The only wild card is your chance of Exalting, and that's a one-time boost.
>>
>>44439580
Exalted is like a bad parody of both anime and role playing games. It manages to fail at replicating anything beyond the most superficial aspects of both.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.