[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it immersion-breaking and verisimilitude-shattering to include
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: RevolvingCannon_800.jpg (165 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
RevolvingCannon_800.jpg
165 KB, 800x600
Is it immersion-breaking and verisimilitude-shattering to include a revolving/repeating cannon in a setting that otherwise has standard 18th century technology?
>>
if you feel it is
>>
File: puckle gun motherfuckers.jpg (43 KB, 650x397) Image search: [Google]
puckle gun motherfuckers.jpg
43 KB, 650x397
>>44435464
Hello, did anyone ask for a revolving/repeating cannon from the 18th century?
>>
>>44435634
Commercial failure and the caliber's too small for it to be a cannon.
>>
>>44435674
consider it a proof of concept for the period.
>>
>>44435674
How about in OP's setting it didn't flop, and some dude figured out how to make bigger ones?
>>
>>44435734
>>44435688
Then warfare is revolutionized and the setting wouldn't have 18th century technology, it would have some stupid hodgepodge technology instead.
>>
File: Hwacha_on_stand.jpg (2 MB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
Hwacha_on_stand.jpg
2 MB, 1728x2304
>>44435464
Yeah you can build it up as a "repeating cannon" but when the PCs actually see it, its just a Hwacha
>>
File: Canon-revolver-IMG_0963.jpg (509 KB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
Canon-revolver-IMG_0963.jpg
509 KB, 3072x2048
>>44435634
Think the confederates made a 2inch revolver cannon as well but there's been a few other varieties and one-offs during the 18th century.
Funnily enough, the old Puckle mechanism still sort of lives on in a lot of marine cannons
>>
>>44435785
Except it would have 18th century technology. It would just have a certain kind of technology proliferate faster.
>>
>>44435785
Just because they have better rifles and cannons it doesn't mean they also get steampunk tanks and shit. Repeating weapons were definitely a thing in the 18th century, yet armies were still running around with smoothbore muskets and stabby pikes.

Dont't want to see Puckle guns scattered all over the setting? Have them be still too complicated and expensive for mass production, and fielded (or sold) in small amounts.
Bam, fun piece of high-level gear that doesn't cause a military-industrial revolution.
>>
>>44435464

>Oh no! How can I play my knight in shining armor when there's guns around!?

You play your knight in shining armor, except now he has a gun as well as a sword
>>
>>44435973
If he's got shining armor his sword is probably pretty ineffective as a weapon anyway. Unless it's like really polished mail or something I guess.
>>
>>44435973

Cannons were around in medieval Europe for about 100 years before full plate armour was developed. Handguns too, though they became widespread around the same time as full plate.
>>
>>44436155

OP never specified if magic was a thing

>>44436194
Yes, I'm aware which is why I find these questions stupid and trollish. If some kind of "Realism" was your goal then having a dude in armor (whatever is appropriate for the inspired time setting) with a gun shouldn't be that big of a deal, more so when you have magic that throws all of that out the window anyways.
>>
>>44436155

It's actually another myth that knights with swords were helpless against plate armoured opponents. The principles were the same as always - unbalance or disarm your opponent, then wedge your blade into a weak spot (or make the opponent yield, always popular for knights after that ransom money), and wrestling and grappling was as important as any swordplay.

Similarly, the effectiveness of maces, hammers and polearms vs plate is overrated by /tg/. They were better than swords on the whole but they weren't can openers.
>>
>>44436336
I didn't mean helpless, just less then optimal. Generally professional soldiers try to use the best equipment they can get to not die, assuming they have the resources and funds for it.
>>
>>44435464
pepperbox revolver
organ gun
girandoni air rifle
>>
>>44436155
>>44436336
>>44436223
The most immersion break thing I've seen is where swords and armour is some how still relevant when magic exist.
>>44436223
>>
File: 1445961352683.jpg (381 KB, 776x961) Image search: [Google]
1445961352683.jpg
381 KB, 776x961
Nothing cooler than guns and armor OP. Who cares if it's not "real", figure out an explanation for why the tech is slightly more advanced and roll with it.
>>
>>44437078
It depends on the setting and the money in the pockets of the people buying. If magic is commonly available, and there's no known defense to it, then it's the day of the range, where the physical masteries are bows, crossbows, and javelins which barely keep up with magic bolts, missiles, and spears. If there is a way to block magic, armor is now promptly made from the stuff which blocks it, and armies now have a few new anti-mage regiments.
>>
File: lorenzoni.jpg (25 KB, 640x248) Image search: [Google]
lorenzoni.jpg
25 KB, 640x248
>>44435464
Not for me. How about you ask your audience, all three of them?

When I introduced girandoni air rifles, cookson repeaters and a 1590ish revolver in my setting, the group thought I was going too unrealistic.

Then I made a rapid-fire double-barreled cannon based on the lorenzoni repeater mechanism, HUEHUEHUE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdlecO3gyOo

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30125&OB=DESC&PN=1
>>
>>44440794
>Then I made a rapid-fire double-barreled cannon based on the lorenzoni repeater mechanism, HUEHUEHUE.
How would that even work, given that the Lorenzoni mechanism is dependent on gravity to get the ball and powder from the magazine to the breech? I suppose you could maybe make it work for wall-mounted cannons for defense against sieges, and maybe for deck cannons on ships. Things where it's firmly anchored at the edge of a raised surface where you can point it down off the overhang. But it would be pretty impractical for field use.
>>
File: LOVE CONQUERS ALL.jpg (197 KB, 420x654) Image search: [Google]
LOVE CONQUERS ALL.jpg
197 KB, 420x654
>>44441158
It was absurdly impractical.

It was an unique gun instaled at the end of a long narrow corridor which led to the underground chambers of a particularly dracophobic lord. His whole castle was pretty much a mock-up to keep appearances.

I think I made it powered by a water mill, been some time already.
>>
What about greek fire being used in the same period as 18th century technology?
>>
>>44441158
>dependent on gravity
Couldn't you have a spring behind it all in lieu of gravity?
>>
>>44435464
As we can all sorts of wacky weapons tech existed in the early modern era.

The main thing is that none of these really had a major impact on warfare or tech development. Revolvers may have existed in the 16th century, but its not until the 19th that they actually saw real use. In most cases the tech simply as not there to make them work reliably and/or they cost far too much to be more than curios and one-off display pieces.

So a prototype repeating cannon is plausible. It would be prone to chronic jamming, require careful tending by master artisans to make sure it didn't explode, would cost as much as an entire siege train of regular artillery to design and build and they only have the one. If someone was mad enough to try to use it in anger it would likely be built into a ship (or a ship built around it rather) or assembled as a siege gun to blow away a fortress you really had a grudge against.
In other words it is perfect plot fuel.

What is immersion-breaking and verisimilitude-shattering is for these things to be standard issue and work just fine. Reliable and cost-effective rapid fire field artillery just is not possible as the tech to do it is not there yet.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.