[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you prefer your games with or without classes? If so, what's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_mrb5j3jnQi1svjee4o1_400.png (223 KB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrb5j3jnQi1svjee4o1_400.png
223 KB, 400x307
Do you prefer your games with or without classes? If so, what's your favorite class from any system? If not, what do you prefer instead?
>>
I like classes. Makes character creation/advancement a bit easier and gives everyone a role to play.

Favorite class is probably 5e's Barbarian. Although the Glitterboy was fucking radical too.
>>
>>44430746
Without classes.
I prefer making whatever the fuck I want that'll fit the game and my character.
>>
>>44430746
I used to prefer classless systems, but then I saw 4e, and it changed my mind. Essentially

Classes Done Well>Classless>Classes Done Poorly
>>
>>44430746
They both have advantages and disadvantages. It doesn't really matter so long as the system does it right.
>>
I generally prefer classless. Like how World of Darkness and Shadowrun do it (instead of "leveling" up, you spend experience when you want). Classes can be pretty cool too, but the biggest problem with classes is being "balanced", I guess. Every class needs to have a purpose or thing that makes them special, and if it doesn't, what's the point of spending work making a class that no one will want to play?
>>
>>44431634
>Classes Done Well>Classless>Classes Done Poorly
I'd switch it around. Classless done well is awesome, classless done poorly gives you more flexibility than you really want in exchange for being bland. Classes are the safe bet: they can suck or be awesome, but they'll usually fulfill the basic role of telling you what you can and can't do without making either answer everything or nothing.
>>
>>44430746

Class vs Classless is a false dichotomy. A good classless system lets you do anything you could in a class-based one. Every class-based system is essentially a classless system with arbitrary restrictions shoehorning you into playing something other than what you really want.
>>
>>44430746
I generally prefer classless systems. But then again, I also do like systems where upbringing or previous careers gives you bonuses to certain skills while still giving you some number of free points to be spent as you wish, bonus points to the system if it gives different amounts of restricted and free points depending on how much free time the character has had due to his career choices, and, I suppose, that could be seen as a form of class system. I can't stand the way that games like D&D does it though, where essentially all you're doing is mixing and matching a race with a class.
>>
>>44430746
Classless systems.

I usually drift towards an unwritten class anyway. Like decker or Superman clone.
>>
>>44430746
As someone who easily suffers from analysis paralysis, I prefer classes, because they give me something to work off of.
Favorite class is a toss-up between 4e's Swordmage and Runepriest.
>>
>>44430746
>Do you prefer your games with or without classes?
No

>If not, what do you prefer instead?
Classless
>>
File: anima green mage spear.jpg (126 KB, 736x981) Image search: [Google]
anima green mage spear.jpg
126 KB, 736x981
Classless, hands down. You can make "packages" that are essentially pre-generated classes for your players to chose from, but still have the openness to make characters that don't fit the established classes. In class-based systems you'll typically end up with so many classes/builds that people will start to wonder why you didn't just go classless. Anima: Beyond Fantasy is kinda like that, with focused classes like wizard and weaponmaster, but also inbetween classes like illusionist and warlock.

Sure, classless systems can be imbalanced, but so can class-based systems. Classless is (arguably) easier to fix, too.
>>
I think the fact that class-based systems allow "multiclassing" is proof that class restrictions are bullshit, waste-of-time mechanics.
>>
>>44432021
>Every class-based system is essentially a classless system with arbitrary restrictions shoehorning you into playing something other than what you really want.
You know that some people do actually want to play the class that they chose, right?
>>
>>44434595
Not that anon, but that's perfectly fine. You can still play the warrior or wizard or thief in a classless system, but now you ALSO have options that don't fit into those categories.

Its about having more options vs. less options.
>>
>>44434595

Sure, but often you have to compromise in some way and choose something more or less similar to what you initially thought up. By definition, classless allows for more options/combinations, which in turn allows for greater creativity when designing characters.
>>
>>44430746
Classless, or maybe classes that only give slight bonuses to certain things.
Essentially the /tg/ classic "punch wizard"(or w/e it's called) should be a viable build for both a wizard or fighter class, but one would have a bit more magic, and the other a bit more punch naturally.
>>
Legend and AdEva 3 both have systems that don't quite fit into either category. Neither are quite perfect games but the core ideas are amazing.
>>
>>44434523

There's nothing inherently wrong with multiclassing as a concept. D&D just tends to fuck up multiclassing by making it awkward and useless.

I think systems like SRS and the Iron Kingdoms rpg, where you take two or three mini classes and combined them to make a character are closer to what multiclassing is supposed to be.
>>
>>44430746
Classless is better... IF there's some kind of level structure or hard limit on how you can build your character, or at least how strong certain abilities can be, depending on the power level of your game.

Classless with levels / tiers > Classes > Classless without levels / tiers

>>44434443
ANIMA is the worst kind of classless game. It's a huge mess, man. I'm glad if you like it but seriously, it's terrible.
>>
>>44430746
I like classless, but with specialization to give an initial concept. Something like FATE makes it harder to make a character with no direction at all, but having character creation include a profession or specialization makes it easier to walk into a role.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.