[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GM needs romantic advice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Ohgosh.jpg (6 KB, 233x103) Image search: [Google]
Ohgosh.jpg
6 KB, 233x103
So I made a recurring NPC in my campaign whose main purpose was to keep the PCs appraised on the consequences of their actions and the larger affects they had in the city. I made the NPC a female for some reason - I guess because I already had too many male recurring NPCs.

Anyhow, one of the PCs is now trying to romance her. This isn't unrealistic because the PCs have maintained good relationships with the NPC and are always polite to her when in her company. But this falls out of my comfort zone because I haven't been GMing for very long, and I get weirded out by having to roleplay a romance with another male player. I want to just dismiss this with a simple "Okay so you go out on a date with her that night and it's nice." But I get the feeling that might be a bit unsatisfying.

What do I do?
>>
Describe actions of characters in third person.
I've been doing it this way since forever. In fact, both as a player and a DM, talking in first person all the time always seemed awkward and weird to me.
>>
>>44427365
If you're uncomfortable with it, just tell the player and come up with a comprimise or get them to stop entirely. make sure they understand exactly why you're uncomfortable with it, or they might be upset, but if they're reasonable they shouldn't be.
>>
>>44427365
Just have her not be interested? It is vital that you don't make this seem like a challenge. Tell your players to spank off before game night, not during.

Whatever you do, never play this shit out. Fade to black. The player is obsessed with something that you cannot possibly deliver, that's why it's awkward. At best you can model your sock puppet for his arousal, and that's a whole different kind of roleplaying which has other boards dedicated to it. Just don't. Ever. It makes everyone feel bad the next day.

You can use this though. Have her kidnapped, or falling for an obvious bad guy in disguise. Have her hand promised in a crucial political liaison, it just cannot be. But you really have to know that you want your game to be about this.
>>
>>44427365
It's workable as long as you keep it toned down. Saying "you go on a date" might be unsatisfying, but at least it's something. You could also play it up a bit by making it a challenge; when describing the date, you could have him make charisma-based checks to see how well they hit it off, or describe roadblocks he has to overcome, like an awkward conversation or a snooty waiter. If you want to include combat, maybe they get mugged.
>>
File: dominatrix.jpg (241 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
dominatrix.jpg
241 KB, 750x1000
>>44428428
>If you want to include combat
Of course he wants to spice things up with combat...
IN THE BEDROOM!!!
>>
>>44427365
Just trap it up and roleplay the date in a solo session. What's the problem?
>>
>>44429288
It's out of my comfort zone. I'd have to ask someone else to do it and ask for the results later.
>>
>>44427365
Do whatever is most comfortable for you.

It might be unsatisfying, but if you're not feeling like roleplaying it... you're probably not going to roleplay it well either way. I've seen people RP really badly when they didn't feel like acting a scene out or when something happened that was outside their comfort zone.

So that's my advice: give him something, describe the scene before and after the fade to black and, because you don't feel like it, don't act out the part of the woman. It's nothing important, really: if you don't want to say what the NPC says it's no big deal, my GM does not either and it's not a big deal.
>>
>>44429325
Do you have a girlfriend or a sister?
>>
>>44427365
>Okay so you go out on a date with her that night and it's nice
sounds fair to me. Playing the romance out sounds quite unreasonable because it's essentially an inconsequential solo scene that can drag on indefinitely. You can pass the initiative to the player after a short introduction.

>alright, you two spend the evening together. How did it go?
>>
>>44429466
Not one I could count on to do this.
She roleplays murderhobos almost exclusively.
>>
>Appraised

You mean apprised.

Anyways, read ERP and remove the E
>>
>>44429549
So gf and/or sis is already experienced in RP? She sounds perfect. This would be a chance for her to branch out into a new part of roleplaying.
>>
>>44429722
She wouldn't be interested unless there was loot or XP involved.
>>
>>44429899
Offer her RP xp and/or create some excuse for there to be a loot reward.
>>
>>44429983
Maybe this would be a prime opportunity for me to joke about getting loot if she married his PC, divorced him, and took half his shit.
>>
>>44429899
Is a follower and all their loot not sufficient reward?
>>
>>44430064
good, redpill her on marriage
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.