[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I just got 3 booster packs and a simple magic deck from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: zerg.png (25 KB, 233x255) Image search: [Google]
zerg.png
25 KB, 233x255
Hello,

I just got 3 booster packs and a simple magic deck from a friend to play casually. I have 105 total cards. How do I make a deck? Would it help to post the cards I own?
>>
Tell us how the /k/ Face came to be brother?
>>
>>44413825
You have a long way to go. Google how to play magic. Get familiar with the card types, rarities, phases, and whatever. You won't find any helpful people here when it's comes to starting mtg. Also prepare to get raped hard for the first year or so unless you are willing to drop 2000 dollas.
>>
>>44414033
I'm playing casually, I said. I don't even care about winning, just company.
>>
>>44414075
Then look up the rules and phases first. No one likes playing with some faggot who doesn't know how to tap lands
>>
>>44414075
>I don't even care about winning
That's good, because you're not doing that anytime soon anon. Look up info on deck building and invest in some cheap but effective cards until you have a feel for your playstyle.
Don't be discouraged if you don't win very often. It'll take practice and purchases to get good.
>>
File: 1443834727953.png (637 KB, 1558x852) Image search: [Google]
1443834727953.png
637 KB, 1558x852
>>44414453
I know how to play the basic game and all, just need some assistance learning how to structure a deck.
>>44414509
It's no big deal for me. My friends and I don't play super seriously.
>>
>>44413825
The best format to play if you're just beginning is EDH. There's a general thread up in the catalog and you don't have to put a ton of money into the format to have fun.

Standard is the fast-rotating money sink format. Don't play it.

Modern is the non-rotating money investment format. Also has the most competitive players and most aggressive meta. Play it once experienced.

Legacy is the never-rotating money dump format. Expect to pay 2-3 times as much as a Modern deck. Much more laid back people who love the game, but is still very competitive. High power level, play only if experienced.

Vintage is where you go if you only want to play with 40 year old dudes who dump $10,000+ into the game.

In short, play EDH.
>>
>>44414547
a standard deck has 60 cards, this is the minimum and generally the optimal amount of cards for a deck

you want to have at least a third of your deck dedicated to lands, the 2/3rds left is dedicated to mostly creatures and a few spells and enchants

list us the cards you have
>>
For casual magic, I have a basic formula that I like to use for the more simple decks. If you are playing a two-color deck, have 24 lands, 20 creatures, and 16 noncreature spells.
Once you've played with this deck a bit, you can fine tune it, changing the ratios as you see fit, but this will usually give you a good balance.
You don't have too many cards yet, so for now, that's about all you really need to worry about. Once you get some more cards, read them, see which ones have a good synergy, and what will work together to bring about an overall strategy together. Even if that strategy is as simple as "summon a bunch of creatures" or "summon a really big creature".
>>
>>44414627
Correction: The best format to play if you're just beginning is Draft. It teaches you the nuances of deckbuilding, and everyone is on a relatively equal ground in power level.
>>
>>44414786
I got the Eldrazi Assault intro pack and 1 extra booster from Battle for Zendikar, apparently.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-news/battle-for-zendikar-intro-packs-and-event-deck/

The booster cards are as follows.
Call the scions
Cloud Manta x2
Sandstone bridge
Unnatural aggression
bone splinters
Hedron blade
Angelic gift x2
Volcanic upheaval
Swarm surge x2
Resolute Blademaster
Ulamog's reclaimer
Hedron archive
Blight herder
Mire's Malice
Belligerent whiptail x2
Broodhunter wurm
Mortuary mire
Blisterpod
Tightening coils
Looming spires
Grave birthing
Eyeless watcher
Roil's retribution
Titan's presence
Kor bladewhirl
Oracle of dust
Radiant flames
Tajuru Stalwart
Incubator Drone
Culling Drone
Kor castigator
Courier griffin
Benthic infiltrator
Touch of the void
Shadow Glider
Serene Steward
Rot Shambler
Slab Hammer
Bring to Light (I heard this one was good)
I have one plains, island, forest, and mortuary mire other than the ones from the basic deck.
>>
>>44415038
you see this shit? this is why i hate pre-made decks
they give you all kinds of singleton shti cards with a few doubles and call it a deck.

a deck isn't built like that, you want playsets of cards you actually want to run

best advice i can give you is look online for cards that are good, go to your LGS, ask the clerk if you can go through his common and uncommon and check the cheap good stuff for a couple of bucks and then look for the rare cards you need that are staple for the deck you are building and do it

Netdecking can be frowned upon in some places, but you can make variants of those decks if you know what you are doing

i dont even need to look up those cards to know most of this is trash tier shit

best advice i can EVER give you
>DO NOT PUT VANILLA CARDS IN YOUR DECK, ITS LITERALLY CANCER, EVERYONE OF YOUR CARD HAS TO DO SOMETHING FOR THEM TO BE EVEN WORTH LOOKING AT

the 3/3 for 4 you are looking at? burn it, its what kills this game along with trash mythics
>>
Don't listen to the people talking about formats. If your playing casually you don't have to worry about that stuff. What colours is the starter deck you got? My advice would be to play a two colour combo that appeals to you, and try to put together a deck for that, although it may be easier to start with the deck you got. Other anons have given good advice above about the general composition of a deck. Roughly one third land, with the rest mostly creatures with a few non creature spells to round it out. In general you want to have more cards that cost between 2 and 3 mana, and a steadily declining number of higher cost cards. This means its more likely you'll have something to play each turn.
>>
>>44415038
>starting with Battle for Zendikar and mostly singles or doubles of cards.
Ouch.
>>
>>44415269
>>44415207
I don't know lads, my friend got it for me as a gift.
>>
>>44415298
well it was a poisoned gift.
would he have been a great friend, he would have built you a custom deck out of a theme you asked him if its just for casual

kitchen table magic is comfy as fuck and anything goes. he pretty much gave you garbage

tell me, what do you want out of your deck, what colors, i'll see if i can build a deck that's cheap but can kick ass
>>
>>44413825
>>
>>44415380
I don't know what I want, but I don't want to spend more than 10-20 bucks more on cards than what I already have. As I said, I just want 1 deck that I can play and maybe a second later.
>>
>>44415298
It's a place to start, at least. Work with what you have and start incorporating newer/better cards as you go. Depending on the skill levels and cards used in your casual games you may need to replace a lot of your deck fairly quickly though. Maybe see what cards work best together for your playstyle, get copies of those cards to make a full set, and go from there.
If you go to your local game shop and let them know you're new, sometimes they will just up and give you cards. Or at the very least, advice.
Also they'll suck your wallet dry if you let them.
>>
>>44415486
Give. me. a theme. i'll build you something out of that theme
>>
>>44415518
Red and black? I guess, since that's what I have more of right now.
>>
>>44415536
on it senpai
>>
>>44413825
2 easy steps to get into magic

1) Download magic duels. http://store.steampowered.com/app/316010/

2) Play

Plus it is free.
>>
>>44415207
>the 3/3 for 4 you are looking at? burn it, its what kills this game along with trash mythics.

The faster you learn this, the better.

I seriously suggest playing Magic duels to get the rules down. I had a hard time learning the rules until I did that.

For emphasis:
>the 3/3 for 4 you are looking at? burn it, its what kills this game along with trash mythics
>>
Decks made by Wizards are designed to teach you the game. If you know someone else with an event deck, play with them a bunch of times until you understand the nuances of each deck.
It would take me, an average-level Magic player, two or three games to understand a deck with a single particular strategy. This deck has a couple of related strategies in it, which makes it weaker, but also conceptually more interesting. See the lack of 4x a particular card compared to a tuned list.
The skill of Magic isn't memorizing the strengths or weaknesses of a particular metagame; it's in learning to evaluate cards accurately in any context. For instance, Bring to Light would be pretty fucking bad if you just dropped it in your event deck, but it is playable in Standard and Modern, which not a whole lot of cards in your card pool are.
>>
>>44415536
>>44415625
done
cheap gobbo deck with a dragon that gives you a boardwipe to boot

its not the best, but its cheap as fuck, most expensive cards are the Goblin Chieftain and Death Bringer regeant at 2$ a pop at worst price

otherwise all the other cards are a few pennies each

CARDBOARD CRACK YO!
>>
>>44416408
NEED TO LINK IT, IM A DUMBASS
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ops-deck/
>>
>>44416408
>>44416432
So if I spend around $15-20 on this I'll do well?
>>
>>44416826
Looks preddy gud for a deck that cheap. Just play aggressively.
>>
>>44416432
Add Dragon Fodder, get some Ultimate Price to replace Doom Blade and you should be fine.
>>
>>44416955
to be completely honest, i just picked card that were low mana cost and high power

no buck all bang deck

>>44416826
the deck should cost you at WORST 10$
>>
>>44417113
I was planning on spending up to $25 on cards tomorrow just to get me started. I'll take your deck into consideration.
>>
>>44414509
he could win if he's playing casually
i can beat my friends with a BFZ allies deck
usually when your playing casually people wont have well tuned decks
>>
>>44413825
If this is a casual thread, I have a challenge for yall.

I have a younger cousin who would like to play a tempo
deck. Total budget is arround 30 dollars, format is casual. Would a UR delver shell be the correct choice?
>>
I bought the Call of Blood deck from the Zendikar set because I am a sperglord for B/W decks. All my games, even against other unmodified event decks, have me stalling out because I can't get creatures out faster than my enemy can kill them, and I have no way to protect them. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>44413825
First you cup the balls
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.