[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys feel about rolling as yourself in a new game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: question!.png (8 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
question!.png
8 KB, 400x400
How do you guys feel about rolling as yourself in a new game? And by that I mean both a character loosely being yourself but with some changes, or literally your IRL self transplanted into the game world.
>>
>>44410133
I don't know... I don't really like me.
>>
Played in a game where we did it before, it was pretty weird but also fun.

Also in a different game based in our city, I found myself and beat the shit out of myself.
>>
>>44410146
Did you tell yourself to stop hitting yourself?
>>
Depends how much you like yourself. Depending on the system too it might be a little difficult.
>>
>>44410133
Might be good for post-apoc or zombie game 5 minutes in the future where character deaths are expected.
Not going to stat myself in my favorite system though (GURPS), that'd be depressing.
>>
>>44410133
I don't like it, mostly because to portray my self insert somewhat realistically, I would have to tell the fellow players things I'm not comfortable sharing with them.
>>
>>44410164
I wasn't playing myself in that game, I just found my IRL self as my character and beat me up to get my stuff.
>>
>each player receives a number
>draw numbers from a hat
>must make a character based on the player's personality
>>
>>44410215
Thus comes the decision between portraying people realistically and portraying them in a way they won't get offended about.
>>
>>44410282

Exactly. If you have a group who is very easy going, it could be hilarious. For a serious group, it could mean death of friendships. Is your friendship strong enough to withstand it?
>>
>>44410133
>first character ever rolled
>beguiler
>better with bullshitting than persuading
>no patience for spell research
>uses spells generally for something other than intended purpose
>adept enough to combat low level enemies but generally fucked if anyone has any real skill
>plays as party face even though he makes almost none of the decisions.
>motivated more by shits n' giggles than some overarching goal
Yeah, not bad
>>
>>44410327
No. But we survived diplomacy, so... eh?
>>
>be redhead
>always get weird looks when my characters have red hair
Why
>>
>>44410133
Depends on the game. Might work in Call of Cthulhu. Wouldn't work in D&D.
>>
>>44410451
If you're girl, because they wanna bone you.
If you're guy, because you have no soul and they know it.
If you're cute and ambiguously androgynous, please leave contact info in the reply.
>>
File: awkward tall man.jpg (40 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
awkward tall man.jpg
40 KB, 960x720
>>44410522
>>
>>44410133
It's boring because it removes the joy of playing a role. It is unimaginative, because you create nothing new. It's likely to damage setting atmosphere. It muddles division of character and player. It feels narcissistic and cringy. Would not do.
>>
>>44410215
Lol
That could lead to some ooc conflicts
>>
>>44410133
It's a fantasy world where you can be whoever you want. Why would I want to be someone as boring and shitty as myself?
>>
Currently running a game sort of like this. Party was planning on doing something elder scrolls-y, but I didn't give them many other details and told them to hold off on character creation. First session they woke up as themselves in a cart to Helgen. Due to plot they got to magic themselves into whatever race/skills/etc they wanted, and built characters as a group. It's been a bit of a goofy game, but a lot of fun so far.
>>
I don't really like that idea. Mostly because the one time we had a game set in the town we lived in, it was rather boring since it's a small town. I woildn't mind the General area I lived in being fictionalized a little, but straight brining it over makes for a bad setting.

Myself as a person is even worse - I prefer hitty, Tammy characters. Only real exception is my decker in Shadowrun, and I don't feel I'm smart enough for that role. Even if I could find a fantasy role that I felt I could do, I'd have to be willing to let all sorts of things happen to ME - from stealing and killing to losing an arm or getting married. Would I want all that happening to me when I'm at the mercy of dice?
>>
File: absolutely astounded.png (179 KB, 563x306) Image search: [Google]
absolutely astounded.png
179 KB, 563x306
>>44410664
that's genius
>>
>>44410676
Tanky, Not tammy. Damn this phone.
>>
>>44410133
>rolling as yourself in a new game?

I dislike portal fantasies, and I do not think of myself as a fantasy adventurer or hero. I cannot imagine myself engaging willingy in mortal conflict, much less coming out on top.
>>
We played ourselves in a "What if?" zombie outbreak game based on/around our campus. That was fun.
>>
>>44410133
Twilight 2013 has an Avatar concept for character creation

>In an avatar campaign, each player uses the character creation rules to model himself in game terms and then plays himself in a post-apocalyptic world. To minimize the tendency to over-represent personal skills and achievements, the GM should carefully review each character
sheet. It may help to have each player leave the room while the
rest of the group votes on whether or not he’s depicted himself
accurately. In most groups, this will also result in a civilian-heavy
campaign - or perhaps not, given how many military veterans are
fans of Twilight: 2000.
>>
>>44410133
My first D&D character was this, but with some liberties taken. Mainly in the "bravery and competence" fields, as I would likely be unable to will myself to fight monsters unless it was in self-defense and running was absolutely impossible, and I'm not sure I'd survive fighting.

That said, playing a less edgy Raistlin Majere who never went blackrobe was kind of neat back when I didn't know that's what I was playing.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.