[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fallout roleplay. Best System to use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1-RTPZMyTRJA2WcXavG-1hkg.jpg (310 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1-RTPZMyTRJA2WcXavG-1hkg.jpg
310 KB, 1680x1050
Hey /tg/
My little group has been playing WoD for a long time and fancy dipping our toes into a few other settings/systems to try something new.

I've volunteered to run a Fallout game, set in Florida. I've got a few general story ideas etc, but wondered what you'd recommend system wise? Want something pretty easy to use and as fun to do none physical things as it is to fight.

Thanks in advance.
Also atory ideas would be welcome too.
>>
>>44409681
Savage Worlds.
>>
Really, there's two effective ways to play Fallout. If you want a gritter, more lethal game where one bullet can ruin your whole day, then go for GURPS. Hell, the beta version of Fallout 1 used 1e GURPS mechanics. Hit locations, effects of radiation, crazy monsters, improvised tech, and pretty much everything you see in Fallout can be done in GURPS. There's a really quality fan supplement for GURPS, mostly focusing on FO1&2 with some FO3 content as well.

If you want a more cinematic, heroic game, you can't go wrong with Savage Worlds. SW characters aren't invulnerable, but they can pull off feats that your average joe can't, just like protagonists in Fallout. It also can handle hit locations, environmental effects, jury-rigged solutions, and wacky weapons and powers, just in a more abstract way than GURPS. Not to mention that your players will likely find the digest-sized SW book a lot less intimidating than the two main GURPS books, alongside supplements like Gun-Fu and Ultra-Tech. This is probably the one that you want. Again, there's a really quality fan supplement out there that'll come up quick if you search for "Savage Worlds Fallout."
>>
This: >>44409967

Pretty much everything I was going to say.
>>
Though there are homebrew systems based on Fallout, the game was originally based on GURPS, which would make it a good idea.

What would be cool would be a RPG with the full SPECIAL array for character creation, and with other mechanics like Damage Threshold and radiation simulated too.
>>
>>44410162
Could you just take the game mechanics and take them straight to make an RPG?
>>
>>44410162
GURPS doesn't have all stats called SPECIAL, but it's got SPEIA, and C and L as advantages (both of which can also be disadvantages, as in "below 5" in Fallout). Its default armor system works like DT and it's got a radiation system too. Though it's the more realistic kind of radiation, not Fallout's.
>>
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards SW at the moment, given the type of game.
Any suggestions forstory lines and quests?
I've got the intro and vault sorted but being a Britbong, I don't know much about Florida.
I'd like to include a post apocalyptic seaworld and disney world, but suggestions how to include those, and other ideas would be great.
>>
File: fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44410231
It has been done.
>>
>>44410515
It seems pretty good. Anything wrong with it?
>>
>>44409681
Leading Edge Games system, especially Living Steel.
>>
>>44410231
No as the calculation required to emulate it 1:1 would be insane. Things like the entire luck attribute would need to be reworked entirely. Adaption would be required to make the video games fit in the tabletop world.
>>
>>44409681
falllout was suposed to be a rpg using gurps system, but for some reason they didnt gone without rpg systems
>>
>>44409681
... SPECIAL

They already have a system in place. And they named it and everything.
>>
>>44410515
>Fallout: Pencil and Paper RPG
was created for two groups of gamers –
those who enjoyed the Fallout computer
games and wanted to have a tabletop
version for their Saturday night roleplaying
sessions, and those people who
had not played the computer game but
were interested or curious in the postNuclear
role-playing environment.

>those people who
had not played the computer game but
were interested or curious in the postNuclear
role-playing environment.

Skipped

if you are going to play a fallout rpg you are going to play for the sake of liking the computer game.
if you arent playing for it, why the fuck not make your own setting/system and not limited by whateaver the fuck fallout decided to be
>>
>>44410231
>Could you just take the game mechanics and take them straight to make an RPG?
few computer games allow that.

Ultimate doom would allow it and I would convert it to a boardgame if I knew how to read the source code
>>
>>44410563
2nd'd. Only system that can actually do the vault slo-down hits.
>>
I'd really love for an updated version of the original Fallout PnP that 1-Didn't have bethesda fanon in it and 2-didn't have the absurd weapon inbalance of the original Fallout PnP

The Fallout PnP uses SPECIAL but the closest thing to an official Fallout tabletop game is Exodus d20 from glutton creeper games. They were actually licensed to make an official tabletop Fallout game, but Bethesda bought the rights in the meantime and shitcanned their whole operation.
>>
>>44410562
The weapon balance is absolutely absurd and rolling with percentages is a little unintuitive unless you're playing online.

http://www.deikkan.com/Fallout/Fallout%20PnP%20-%20Operator's%20Handbook.pdf this one is an updated and handier version of the previous link

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bigapplewasteland/Fallout+The+Big+Apple+Wasteland.pdf

this one is new and is basically a heavily simplified version of the previous two. It's not a direct copy of the old game mechanics, but the way it does stats bothers me. Also it has bethesda fanon in the form of...T-60 Power Armor.
>>
>>44412439
That's called targeted shot. The fallout pnp has that
>>
>>44411906
Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics had actual character sheets with all the algorithims laid out on the main page. As other posters have shown, people have managed to do a complete rip of the game mechanics and made it a playable game. Some tweaking and you got yourself a solid system.
>>
>>44411817
>>44410594
>SPECIAL

It's going to be hard to get the straight table top with the numbers intact. Let only work out how you can handle the dice.

>>44411779
They couldn't get the rights. Supposedly steve jackson didn't let the idea of his product attached to something violence. Not that GURPS really shy away from it. But this was in the 90s so I guess the stannic panic was still a issue.
>>
File: movementofjahpeople.png (1 MB, 693x895) Image search: [Google]
movementofjahpeople.png
1 MB, 693x895
what's the consensus on this?
>>
I used Dark heresy 2e, went pretty well.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.