[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Introducing Normalfags to Dark Heresy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1423512587424-0.jpg (25 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
1423512587424-0.jpg
25 KB, 500x290
Due to bullshit I've been forced to move halfway across the country, separating me from my gaming group and plunging me face-first into a wretched den of normies.

Been here about six months and I've managed to make some friends at work though shared vidya interests. Going out on a limb, I asked them if they'd ever tried pencil and paper RPGs. One of them said that he played D&D once in high school, another said she did free form forum role playing way back in the day (red flag, I know).

They expressed some interest in trying it, but said that they weren't really into the whole "wizards and elves" scene, saying they would want something a bit grittier. I suggested Dark Heresy and based on my descriptions ("Kinda like Star Trek, except everything is terrible" etc) they got on board.

So my question to you is this, /tg/: How do I get normies into the 40k universe without overburdening them with all the minutiae and weirdness that comes with it? Have any of you ever done this? What would be a good plot hook to get thing rolling?
>>
File: 1423488459247-1.jpg (347 KB, 1600x1745) Image search: [Google]
1423488459247-1.jpg
347 KB, 1600x1745
>>
Well, I kinda got into the same issue, so I'd start with only basic rules and basic lore.
If I may point, you can at least have the fun to tell them only what their characters should know, instead of having them knowing all about everything in the 40k univers which could be fun.
>>
>>44408643
That's a good call. Keep them as in the dark as possible. Should I encourage them to take as few lore skills as possible? Keep them completely ignorant and let the inquisitor and other NPCs deliver exposition?
>>
File: 1423464202012.jpg (217 KB, 1063x752) Image search: [Google]
1423464202012.jpg
217 KB, 1063x752
>>
Well, I am no pro to GMing but given the fact that at the beginning of a Dark Heresy game, the player are (except for specific background) ignorant of anything regarding Chaos, you can introduce it during the game rather than not playing it (considering that the players know).
You even get Bonus Point if you want to play an GrimDark Inquisitor that want to test his new recruit and see if they can prevail without know beforehand.
Nevertheless, I think that you should make them take their time to do stuff and not to too much with skill checks for Information gathering, that will make them take more time to think about a plan/ directions to follow + It will make them do RP so all the more better

Oh and I almost forgot, if your player are of the same,.. let say kind, of mine, you MUST MAKE THEM READ THE COMBAT RULES, or you'll have to be nice if you don't want them to die against the first 2 heretics they run into
>>
Well, I am no pro to GMing but given the fact that at the beginning of a Dark Heresy game, the player are (except for specific background) ignorant of anything regarding Chaos, you can introduce it during the game rather than not playing it (considering that the players know).
You even get Bonus Point if you want to play an GrimDark Inquisitor that want to test his new recruit and see if they can prevail without know beforehand.
Nevertheless, I think that you should make them take their time to do stuff and not to too much with skill checks for Information gathering, that will make them take more time to think about a plan/ directions to follow + It will make them do RP so all the more better.

Oh and I almost forgot, if your player are of the same,.. let say kind, of mine, you MUST MAKE THEM READ THE COMBAT RULES, or you'll have to be nice if you don't want them to die against the first 2 heretics they run into!
>>
^^', kind of a newfag, sry for the double post
>>
I once tried to pitch it as Catholic inquisition looking for heretics in space. Noone responded.
>>
Well, I don't know where you're from, but in some country it might be a bit strange to use that kind of analogy.
Maybe more of a : "always on the verge of being destroyed Space empire, with Spanish Inquisition full force trying to hold it together against demons"
>>
>>44408711
Don't discourage them from Lore. You want them to learn about the setting during play. That'll make it interesting rather than tl;dr
>>
>>44408830
this but don't throw them under the bus. start with a story of the emporers life and what he tried to accomplish with the imperium.use 1d4chan if u want. the best grimdark stories is where there is a small hope at the end. not a false one, a real one.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.