[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I understand the economic importance of spice, but can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Paul.jpg (17 KB, 400x275) Image search: [Google]
Paul.jpg
17 KB, 400x275
I understand the economic importance of spice, but can't Leto II avoid humanity's destruction by allowing for the recreation of computers? They can move ships between worlds without having to rely on Dune for anything. I understand that that might cause problems of its own, but surely his foresight can predict and solve them.
>>
>>44406443
Leto 2 could have avoided humanities destruction by simply declaring "THE EMPEROR SAYS HUMANITY IS NOW GOING TO COLONIZE THE FAR CORNERS OF THE GALAXY" and simply sending missions to scatter humanity about.
>>
The Butlerian jihad forbidded thr use of thinking machines.

One of the main theme of the books is that foresight doesn't solve anything, and more or less renders the individual to a cripple who cannot decide how to act.
>>
>>44406443
>I understand the economic importance of spice, but can't Leto II avoid humanity's destruction by allowing for the recreation of computers? They can move ships between worlds without having to rely on Dune for anything. I understand that that might cause problems of its own, but surely his foresight can predict and solve them.
Only Dune is good. The rest is... very much not.
>>
>>44406443
That was part of his plan. But allowing computers will eventually allow the singularity (called something else in the books) which, combined with prescience, results in human extinction.

He had to create humans and technology immune to prescience before re-starting Moore's Law, so that the great human diaspora could be successful and safe.
>>
>>44406475
I would say books 1, 2, and maybe 3 are good.

>>44406486
So what exactly did he do to engineer humanity to be unable to see the future?
>>
>>44406498
Created a massive tyranny. Creating the urge for the diaspora was only one reason behind it - it also created rebels, who being in the process of fighting a precognitive emperor, struggled mightily to develop anti-prescience cloaking devices. Some through genetics which created bloodlines immune to prescience, some through hard technology, which resulted in no-rooms/no-ships aka the best cloaking tech ever.
>>
>>44406443
i guess because humanities destruction was possible at the hands of a supercomputer who was essentially a hacker on steroids
>>
File: TM7.jpg (239 KB, 1365x617) Image search: [Google]
TM7.jpg
239 KB, 1365x617
>Letting the Thinking Machines run around
>>
>>44406639
didn't the Guild and Ixians build a navigation machine as a result of his rule? I recall it being mentioned but I haven't read past 4 so I don't know if they were successful
>>
>>44406498
>>44406475
If by that you mean 4's the best one and the perfect conclusion, then you're right.
>>
>>44406443
the reason of the Butlerian Djihad still applies. Computers destroy human creativity, making them complacent, and destroying humanity not literally, but figuratively.
>>
How does one become immune to prescience?

Is that literally an "lolsorandum" gene?
>>
Thinking machines stifled human creativity and made us slaves to the logic

Leto needed to create a new man, immune to prescience so that it could be out of reach of the powers that be; so that it grow far wide and free.
>>
>>44406443
>I understand the economic importance of spice, but can't Leto II avoid humanity's destruction by allowing for the recreation of computers?
This is basically what he does with No Ships. They are pretty much true computers in all but name.
>>
>>44408878
computer is a calculator in all but name, but much advanced
the same with No Ships
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.