[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG: Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: modern event.jpg (176 KB, 620x399) Image search: [Google]
modern event.jpg
176 KB, 620x399
Modern Event Deck edition:

R&D put you in charge of designing a new Modern Event Deck. Which deck would you build for newcommers and players in general?

> Medium mode: Total price of cards cant pass 150$
> Hard mode: Price of cards cant pass 100$
>>
Maro plz do your fucking job.

I suppose it doesnt have to be full t1 decks right?
>>
>>44397894

It can be any deck you want.
>>
>>44397858
I bypass Medium and Hard mode through tactical reprints leading up to the release of the deck.
>>
Shitty Twin deck.

x4 Twin
x2 Kikki
x4 Pestermite
x4 Exarch
x1 Zealous Conscripts
x2 Lightning Bolt
x3 Burst Lightning
x2 Dispel (an additional one in SB)
x2 Remand
x4 Rune Snag
x2 Serum Visions
x1 Snapcaster
x3 Vapor Snag

x1 Cascade Buffs
x1 Steam Vents
x1 Sulfur Falls
>>
Ya fuck your medium aand hard mode.

I would try to build a burn deck and a delver deck.

Possible reprints are goblin guide, lightning bolt, remand/spell piece, vapor snag, disrupting shoal and one cryptic command in the delver deck.
>>
>>44397858
Merfolk

>4 Lords
>4 Masters
>4 Reejereys
>4 Adepts
>4 Cursecatchers
>1 Vial
>1 Cavern
>1 Oboro
>1 Minamo
>1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner

It sounds fair.
>>
Incomplete UG Infect

Main

> 4 Glistener Elf
> 2 Hierarch
> 4 Blight Agent
> 3 Giant Growth
> 4 Might of Old Krosa
> 1 Wild Defiaance
> 3 Vast of Wirewood
> 1 Spellskite

> 2 Inkmoth Nexus
> 4 Yavimaya Coast
> 1 Breeding Pool

Side

> 2 Torpor Orb
> 2 Relic of Progenitus
> 3 Nature Claim
> 1 Apostle Blessing
> 2 Ranger's Guile
> 2 Spell Pierce
> 3 Defense Grid

Sounds fair I guess
>>
Green White value creature beatdown

Key creatures
Qasali Pridemage
Kitchen Finks
Honored Hierarch
Loxodon Smiter

Key spells
Collected Company
Séance
Marshal's Anthem
Secure the Wastes

Key lands
Gavony Township

The rest can be whatever.

Thinking here is it shows Modern as "like standard" with a few key pieces, but also celebrates a large card pool. The strategy in gameplay is simple for an intermediate player, and reasonably competitive in the same way the BW token was. Should include just enough pieces to be a relevant pickup for veteran players.
>>
>>44399061
Also include Presence of Gond and Midnight Guard for the "oops I win" factor against the unfair decks and as a nod to Splinter Twin in the format
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>44399061
>>44399106
Formalized my attempt. Total came out to $141.81. It's actually fun to draw up. Would recommend MSRP of $99.99 here. It has enough "fun-ofs" to be a possible multi-unit pickup for hooked players. It's not so bad that it auto-folds to most Modern decks, and has fun interactive games with the previous event deck. Purchased in combination with the standard event decks (that contain Windswept Heath), it could give players a way to learn what could be done to improve the deck. It also plays fair Magic, but has an infinite combo and huge potential to go wide with tokens and Muraganda Petroglyphs.

The main criticism is that it likely contains more from Time Spiral than Wizards would want to print. Hornet Sting could be a funny include. The sideboard is also mainly gunning for the Affinity matchups; there could be better selections there (Leyline of Sanctity) but then you quickly get to the price limit.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/create-a-modern-event-deck-challenge/

Creature (16)
1x Kitchen Finks
1x Knight of the Reliquary
2x Loxodon Smiter
4x Midnight Guard
2x Qasali Ambusher
1x Qasali Pridemage
4x Scythe Leopard
1x Voice of Resurgence
Planeswalker (1)
1x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Land (22)
5x Forest
1x Gavony Township
1x Grove of the Guardian
6x Plains
1x Stirring Wildwood
4x Sunpetal Grove
4x Temple of Plenty
Instant (12)
1x Collected Company
1x Dawn Charm
2x Mana Tithe
4x Secure the Wastes
4x Selesnya Charm
Enchantment (9)
2x Muraganda Petroglyphs
4x Presence of Gond
1x Rancor
1x Retreat to Emeria
1x Wheel of Sun and Moon
Sideboard (15)
2x Bramblecrush
2x Kataki, War's Wage
2x Leonin Arbiter
2x Marshal's Anthem
2x Mutagenic Growth
3x Naturalize
2x Tormod's Crypt
>>
Ninja Fairy deck like this one

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ninja-miscreants/

With:

1x Sword of Fire and Ice
1x VendilionClique
2x Mistbind Clique

4x Remand
2x Mutavault

The rest is ok i guess.
>>
>>44401467
There's zero reason to run Muraganda Petroglyphs.

The ONLY vanilla creatures you have are tokens.
Intangible Virtue is so much better it's laughable.

It even has better synergy with Voice of Resurgence tokens, selesnya charm and Grove of the Guardian.

The manacost is also far easier at 2 mana.
>>
>>44401763
Ah, but you see! That's exactly the kind of thinking that is meant to elicit from players! Your reasoning is sound.

It's not that the event deck is the best version of the archetype it represents. Rather, the challenge in making an event deck is to do small things that inspire players to improve and innovate.

You analyzed the included cards and suggested a superior course of action. In an ideal world, that's what an event deck should do.
>>
>>44401467
I personally would add more Kitchen Finksen, some Leonin Arbiters, three Hushwing Gryffs and try to add a Aven Mindcensor or two. I'd cut the Knight and Petraglyphs.
>>
>>44401937
Yeah, after I posted it I realized you were replying to the "make your own event deck" OP challenge.

Making a poor construction choice is valid for that reason. I still think it would be better, also because it's a recent print, unlike the time spiral cards you felt there were too many of.
>>
>>44399061
Canopy Vista as a one-of.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.