[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Night Shift-IDEAS THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1445380733138.jpg (125 KB, 1600x864) Image search: [Google]
1445380733138.jpg
125 KB, 1600x864
>Playing under the guidance of the General Manager, or GM, you take the role of an Attendant at a dingy old gas station and convenience store on a lonely stretch of deserted highway, just this side of Nowhere.

>Cryptic warnings and some suspect station damage aside, you're pretty sure that those assholes working the Day Shift only have to deal with your typical day-to-day interactions with your standard run -of-the-mill customers, But not you. No, you're not that lucky.

>As night falls and your shift begins, weird things start to happen. Little things at first, like the mirror in the women's bathroom starts malfunctioning, or the television tunes itself, or your last customer pays for his purchase in a currency you've never seen, by the end of the night, things have gone from bad to worse, and you may find yourself having to fight off a horde of shambling dead, service an alien spacecraft, or defeat an invisible beast intent on ending your life.

>However, even with all this happening around you, you still have a job to do and a list of tasks you're expected to complete before the sun rises and the night shift ends, setting up the win conditions for each night's session.

Running The Night Shift in scant days fa/tg/uys.
The event charts already around for it are cool, but I need more low-key events that can be ramped up over time. Help me out?
>>
File: 1445698665653.jpg (149 KB, 1589x896) Image search: [Google]
1445698665653.jpg
149 KB, 1589x896
Links

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Night%20Shift
>>
Example of what I'm looking for:

>Toilet in Mens Bathroom is clogged
>Toilet in Mens Bathroom is clogged, and when flushed everything in the bowl loses gravity and floats around the bathroom till the end of the shift.
>Anything that enters the stall of the toilet loses gravity and floats around the bathroom/store till the end of the shift.
>Anything that enters the bathroom loses gravity and floats around the store/sky till the end of the shift.
>>
File: Indifferent to your suffering.jpg (25 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
Indifferent to your suffering.jpg
25 KB, 400x380
>this board
>>
File: Dragon Dildos.png (24 KB, 193x200) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Dildos.png
24 KB, 193x200
>>
File: P2040862.jpg (891 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
P2040862.jpg
891 KB, 2272x1704
>>44397127
Fuck I remember when night shift anon was going to playtest it over skype, I wanted to do it but timezone conflicted, I hope perhaps that could happen again.
>>
>>44397201
>All the snacks in the display stand are out-of-date.

What happens next depends on what your players do:

>Should they mark them down 50% the people who eat them begin to lose half of things in their possession. Maybe it's half the money in their bank account, maybe it's half their pants, maybe it's half their family, maybe it's half their sanity.

>Should they ignore it and let those assholes on Day Shift take care of it, or not notice it at all, then the people who eat them begin blinking in and out of reality, appearing in the Gas Station confused as to why they're in the gas station they stopped at a few days ago or have never been to before.

>Should they throw them out the dumpster in the back becomes the focal point of an increasingly powerful, localized, temporal anomaly
>>
>>44397931
>>44397975
Oh thank god, was about to give up on this thread
>>
>>44397975
Also, this is great
>>
>A big guy walks into The Station and shops around for a bit. He is friendly but seems to be taking his time
>Two men in suits walk into The Station and take a seat at a bench the happens to be inside. They seem to be discussing business. If harassed by the attendants they will buy a few things and sit back down at their bench
>Another big guy walks in and shops around. He looks a little rough around the edges and is openly antagonistic to anyone that confronts him. He isn't violent but he seems to be making a big show about how much of a heel he is being
>Eventually the first big guy takes notice of the second big guy and they start arguing, one pushes the other and they start fighting
>The men in suits at the bend start loudly commentating on the fight
>A pro wrestling event has just broken out in The Station
>>
>>44398036
>One of those Day Shift assholes shows up, wanting to know why you're trying to work his shift.

>A man identifying himself as being from the Fuel and Measures section of the state Dept. of Agriculture shows up for a routine gas pump check. It's slightly alarming that he'd do this in the middle of the night and the Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions he's attaching to the gas pumps aren't helping.

>A homeless man claiming to be "Slim Jim, Sr." grabs all your meat snacks and locks himself in the bathroom, screaming that he'll get his boy back one way or the other.
>>
>>44398023
I remember back in 2014, an anon was actually working up a script for some tv miniseries or something, it seemed like it had potential, this guy even had connections in the tv industry, I wish I knew what happened with that.
>>
>>44398339
Probably the rights issues that would arise when your idea pitch is based on an anonymous forum.
>>
>>44398339
Yeah, from what I understand nothing ever came of it. The written script that was posted was pretty great though.
>>
>>44398339
That anon popped in on one of the threads we had during the brief Night Shift revival a few months ago with the full script for the first episode and most of the script for the second. The fact that he was able to post it probably means that they didn't get picked up. I hope he's still trying, they were both really good.
>>
>>44398166
>>44398174
Working these, keep em comin!
>>
>>44398435
Here's one I already put on one of the event list.

A guy comes in with a briefcase, tries to sell the night shift weapons. Every time they turn him down he leaves and comes back with something more powerful, even demonstrating his merchandise on the cardboard standees in the store. Need to defuse the situation before he starts bringing in the plasma bombs.
>>
>>44398166
This is an example of how I handle events, each tier happens as the Weird rating goes up.

1/4: Large, fit man enters the Gas N Go, pretty friendly guy. Cooks a meal in the microwave, watches TV, generally just hangs out for a couple hours.
2/4: Two men in suits walk up outside the Gas N Go, sit down on a bench just outside the entrance that wasn't there before, start chatting and sipping coffee.
3/4: Another guy swaggers into the store, big, fit and full of attitude. Picks a fight with friendly guy, they start fighting, guys on the bench start commenting loudly on whats happening in the store.
4/4:Fighters rip off their clothes, revealing gaudy skintight outfits underneath, men on bench suddenly are spun around facing the station, and now have a table and microphones in front of them. Somehow a ring has materialized around the fighters, and they begin to use showy moves and playing the crowd, which can be heard cheering but is nowhere to be seen.

Knocking out ether of the fighters results in all the people leaving. If the friendly fighter wins, as soon as everyone is gone the store looks like nothing happened.
>>
>>44398502
Appreciate it bro!
>>
>>44398595
Here's another, using your formatting

1/4 . Snacks in the store start coming to life and begging to be eaten, as it is the greatest honor a snack can undergo.
2/4. As the players resist or indulge, the snacks get more and more hysterical, arguing about who gets eaten next, forming factions
3/4. The tension builds and the snacks start warring with eachother, making a huge mess as ice cream bars splat and bags of chips rupture.
4/4. The survivors give in to despair and attempt to force themselves down the night shift's throats.

Conclusion: Who is going to replace all this merchandise?
>>
>>44398435
>You're pretty sure the Icee vendor slipped some drugs in the machine. The machine elves think you're being paranoid, but the talking polar bear believes you.

>There's a cat in every garbage can eating trash. The same cat.

>An old woman sets up a small card table outside by the doors and begins soliciting newspaper subscriptions to everyone who approaches. When confronted, after trying to sell you a newspaper subscription, she will produce a note in your manager's handwriting allowing her to be there and try to sell you a newspaper description again. She won't come inside no matter the weather except to buy a Coke every hour on the hour.
>>
>>44398648
I am picturing all the frozen foods allied together to overthrow the dried meat monopoly of the register, only to be betrayed by the microwavable burritos. Genius. AND saved me some typing!
>>
I have zero ideas but I fucking love the concept. Has a twilight zone, mid-20th century vibe that makes me grin.
>>
>>44397127
Hiya, I was the anon working at McDonald's around Halloween, and posted a few weird things that happened during night shifts where I work, and I have a few ideas that could help. Weird stuff has been happening since then, too, and while a McDonald's isn't a Gas Station there should be enough similarities to turn around and use it for the Gas and Go.

These are all based on stuff that's happened to me, or that I saw when I was working, so feel free to ask questions.

>Manager asks me to mop the floors during breakfast
>a routine thing, quickly sweep, get to mopping
>Notice a puddle of grease
>weird, the fryers aren't even on yet (This was near the Chicken Fryer, our store doesn't sell chicken with breakfast)
>Pay it no mind, mop it up
>finally done with mopping
>Manager starts yelling for me
>ohshit
>walk up to her, she points at the floor
>There's a puddle of greas, right where the first one is
>mop it up
>back to work
>boss yells again
>The grease puddle is back
>Same
>fucking
>place
>Its coming up from the floor

So, there might not be a fryer in your store, but anything similar that would have debris near it (the slushee machine, maybe, or the Cheese dispenser if there's a nacho stand) could work for it. The players mop up something, come back later and its there again. If they don't clean it up, their manager gets mad, and the pile gets bigger, until it starts to prey on the customers, or even the workers.

Another gem:

>Christmas day
>on break, getting a drink
>Bum sleeping in the lobby
>like in the middle of the lobby floor
>I have no clue how he did it, but he had a small shack set up
>Manager asks him to leave
>He says his legs are broken, and his lungs aren't working
>Manager asks if he needs help
>He asks us to call 911
>Manager says he will
>Bum gets mad
>Super mad
>He almost gets violent, then gets silent
>Walks to the Chili's next door, we don't see him again

It was weird, but imagine the same happening at the Gas n Go
>>
>>44398965
Much appreciated anon
>>
Thread is slowing, so gonna post ones I've already done

1/4: Boiler leaking, water everywhere. if not mopped up every 30 min spreads through the store.
2/4:Boiler leaking, water everywhere. if not mopped up every 30 min spreads through the store. Boiler room water somehow waist deep when appearing inches deep. Generator starting to spark.
3/4: Boiler leaking, water everywhere. if not mopped up every 30 min spreads through the store. Boiler room water somehow waist deep when appearing inches deep. Generator starting to spark. Large Grumpy Eels in boiler water.
4/4: Boiler leaking, water everywhere. if not mopped up every 30 min spreads through the store. Boiler room water somehow waist deep when appearing inches deep. Generator starting to spark. Large Grumpy Electric Eels in water.

Fixed by shutting off the water valve, plugging the leak
>>
1/4: Tuna can stocks in storeroom cracked open, room stinks of expired Tuna
DAY SHIFT: Cat snuck into store, got chased out
2/4: Odd man in Trenchcoat with Bill Cliton Mask wanders in, hangs out near Tuna
cans for a while, buys all available stock, leaves
3/4:Odd man in Trenchcoat with Bill Cliton Mask wanders in, hangs out near Tuna
cans for a while, tries to buy all available stock, trips, cats pour out and run out of the store.
4/4:Odd man in Trenchcoat with Bill Cliton Mask wanders in, hangs out near Tuna
cans for a while, tries to buy all available stock, trips, cats pour out, still attempt to buy Tuna cans
>>
>>44398339
I vaguely remember a post saying that the only part of the pitch the TV folks liked was the "underachieving menial employees" angle, a la Workaholics.
>>
1/4: Thermostat in Cold Storage is busted at -10F
DAY SHIFT: Complaints to the Assistant Manager
2/4: Starts to snow in Cold Storage room
3/4: Cold Storage is now an Ice Cave
4/4: Cold Storage is now an Ice Cave, Yeti in Walk In Freezer

Yeti fears fire
Fixing thermostat melts snow, ice. Needs to be mopped up.
>>
1/4:Boiler room doorknob missing
DAY SHIFT: Note saying new doorknob for room will come in tomorrow
2/4: Middle aged guy comes in, wanders around, hangs out near bathrooms, leaves
3/4:Middle aged guy comes in, wanders around, hangs out near bathrooms, tries to go into back, if left near any door alone the knobs vanish
4/4:Middle aged guy comes in, wanders around, hangs out near bathrooms, tries to go into back, if left near any door alone the knobs vanish, tries to buy WD-40, gets sick, throws up doorknobs, flees store
>>
1/4: Man in full plate armor armed with a longsword, accompanied by small boy and woman in midevil dress walk in, talk in Olde English accents, buy some bread and water, pays in gold coins, leaves.

2/4: Man in full plate armor armed with a longsword, accompanied by small boy and woman in midevil dress walk in, talk in Olde English accents. Man gets offended by Employee, challenges to duel to the death. Upon victory, buys bread and water, pays with gold coins, leaves. Upon defeat, women weeps over corpse, boy flees store.

3/4:Man in full plate armor armed with a longsword, accompanied by small boy and woman in midevil dress walk in, talk in Olde English accents. Man gets offended by Employee, challenges to duel to the death. Upon victory, buys bread and water, pays with gold coins, leaves. Upon defeat, women weeps over corpse, boy flees store. An hour later another knight shows up, brother/father/cousin/uncle to first knight. Challenges dueling employee to another duel. This repeats till end of shift or dueling Employee is dead.

4/4: Man in full plate armor armed with a longsword, accompanied by small boy and woman in midevil dress walk in, talk in Olde English accents. Man gets offended by Employee, challenges to duel to the death. Upon victory, buys bread and water, pays with gold coins, leaves. Upon defeat, women weeps over corpse, boy flees store. An hour later, raiding party of vengeful knights lay siege to store.
>>
>>44400442
Is it really necessary to repeat the previous section in each line?
>>
>>44400482
That was one when I was still figuring out how I was going to work the events in with the Weird mechanic, and doing so kind of settled in my mind how I was going to work it. Going back to change it seemed silly, since these are just my notes. Sorry if it was too wordy bro.
>>
1/4:Man having car trouble pulls into the station, opens his hood, fiddles with his car.
2/4:Man asks for help from Customers entering/leaving the store. Customers who help vanish when the Employees arn't looking.
3/4: Man asks Employee to help him check the oil of his car, since he can't seem to get it right. If Employee goes to help, as soon as they are in front of the hood, the man attempts to flip the Employee into the hood, where they vanish into the vehicle. He then attempts to lure another Employee.
4/4: The Man begins to drag the Employees to his car, and brushes off any physical damage to his person.

The Man is invincible, however any damage done to the car injures him.
Wrecking the car or getting it towed kills the man or makes him vanish.
>>
>>44401983
I like this one.
>>
1/4: People with little green men memorabilia and "I <3 aliens" tshirts frequent the store.
2/4: Hoards of these people fill the store, wanting alien figures and merchandise
3/4:The fans start camping around the Gas N Go, and climbing up on the roof
4/4: Aliens arrive, abducting all the fans. They enter the store, bring chocolate bars to the register, and attempt to pay by offering a lazer pistol. If refused, they leave in a huff. If the pistol is accepted, they leave and clean up the mess of the fans as they do. The person behind the register who accepts the pistol loses paycheck.

If the mess from the fans isn't cleaned by the end of the shift, take away management.
>>
1/4:Chewed up corpses of small animals appear around the Gas Pumps
2/4:Customers seem to suddenly vanish while pumping their gas, leaving their car by the pumps. Their corpses appear around the pumps an hour later, missing limbs and thoroughly chewed.
3/4:If an Employee goes out to the Gas Pumps, they spot/are attacked by a giant, translucent mantis nesting on top of the pumps.
4/4: The eggs in the nest hatch, and the hungry brood invade the store seeking food.
>>
Last one for the night, thanks for the ideas in this thread, now have 20 set up events for the game, which should be enough. If this thread is still up when I wake in the morning I'll post the rest>

1/4: Bum enters the Gas N Go, starts building a shanty out of coolers and towels.
2/4: Bum has a shiv, and stabs at people who try to remove him from his shanty.
3/4: Bums shanty somehow grows higher, has battlements and a vat of hotdog grease above the entrance.
4/4:Bums shanty gains a moat and drawbridge, comprises of multiple hallways with traps, and now has a catapult the bum uses to launch ice cold slurpees at anyone who walks over to that half of the store.
>>
This is inspiring me to submit another.

1/4: Manager arrives and gives a list of extra tasks that needs to be completed before the end of the night.
2/4: After completing one task, gravity for the staff inverts. One is stuck on the gas pump roof, an island over an abyss of sky. Customers aren't affected and don't notice.
3/4: In addition to pumping gas and selling snacks, the staff must:
> Replace the burnt out lightbulb by the gas pumps. This is probably the first one the staff does.
> Mop the floor.
> Change the tire on the manager's car, parked in the garage. When the old tire is removed, the car's gravity inverts and it "falls".
> Get rid of the bags of trash in the break room. Normally they would go in the dumpster, but the trash is also inverted.
> Remove the pigeon nest on the roof. Dangerous!
4/4: Other objects start inverting as well. Beware of getting crushed by refrigerators or cars.

Solution: Staff that manage to find a way to clear the pigeon nest discover that there is a lightswitch labeled "Gravity" next to it. Toggling it restores gravity. Anything that fell into the sky, like the trash, comes raining back down after a few minutes.
>>
Here's some relatively mundane stuff that you could chuck in to add variety, or alter for your own tastes.

>Three small figures in hoodies run up to the Station windows, throw something white and sticky on the window, and leave. Closer examination reveals the substance to be McDonalds sundaes. Needs to be cleaned up.
>Weirder: The kids start popping up in the store and throwing the sundaes everywhere, making a huge mess. Attempts to make them stop only intensify the assault. They will disappear an hour before sunrise.

>Man who is visibly disturbed / high on drugs walks in, makes a mess, and attempts to buy an item - could be a slushi, could be a razor blade. If denied, will hold up the Employees for the item.
>Weirder: The guy, if disturbed by the staff or a customer, will lash out physically and violently. Attempting to restrain the man will fail. Attempting to kill the man will fail. Attempting to remove the man will fail. Giving the man the item will cause the man to leave.

>Woman who is silent, quiet, and covered in blood appears at edge of Station proper. Gets closer with a slow lumbering gait. On reaching the counter, asks for the employees to call 911. Regardless of action, upon getting an answer she will simply sit on the floor and stare ahead, unresponsive until police or ambulance arrive.
>Weirder: Regardless of what happens, what is said above will always occur - she will walk straight through barricades, walls, windows and individuals, she will always be heard / understood by an employee, once she sits down nothing will move or affect her, a police car / ambulance WILL show up if 911 is called, and they will ONLY take care of the woman, disregarding anything else going on in the store. Occurs repeatedly over several nights.
>>
>>44402643

>A dog with an odd stagger plods comes up to the Station door and justs stares at it. On closer inspection there appears to be white and red foam around its mouth. Attempts to get close to the dog result in it growling, or down right lunging and attacking. Employees have to either call in animal services, or remove the the dog themselve before it attacks customers.
>Weirder: The dog keeps coming back. People bitten by the dog gain similar symptoms - foaming at the mouth, difficulty moving, will attack if gotten close to, and will ALWAYS position themselves by the door. Removing or deactivating the motion sensor that works the door will make the affected individuals leave for the next nearest motion sensor.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.