[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mellifleur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 53405068_p0.jpg (943 KB, 800x1236) Image search: [Google]
53405068_p0.jpg
943 KB, 800x1236
Why does your setting not include Mellifleur, the lich-god from the 1992 book for 2e "Monster Mythology," whose accidental apotheosis and unusual circumstances make Neutral GOOD deities help him battle evil?

>Of all these beings, the most extraordinary tale is that of Mellifleur, the Lich-Lord. Mellfleur was an ancient wizard who had faithfully prepared his magical road to undeath, and dutifully enacted the magical rituals with great care.

>What he did not know was that a major god of evil—who varies from pantheon to pantheon in different versions of this myth—was just about to raise a mortal priest to become a demigod through divine ascension. A great backwash of god-magic resonated with Mellifleur's rituals, and the wizard became a demigod instead. Thus the Lich-Lord came into being by mistake, a glorious irony.

>Illithid sages have an extraordinary variant of this tale, claiming that the event involved a collective impulse among the gods themselves, so that several evil gods in different worlds were all carrying out the same operation at the same time, and their combined magical effects, summed and transformed, raised Mellifleur not just to deity status but to the status of a lesser god. This would certainly explain why in the GREYHAWK® campaign, Nerull is said to be the deity who created Mellifleur; in Toil, they say BANE?, and in other worlds, other dark names are invoked.

>One thing is for certain: to survive, Mellifleur has to have his avatars oppose the actions of the dark deity who created him, lest his own be diminished and the evil god recapture and absorb Mellifleur's power. The Lich-Lord must oppose certain evils to survive.

>On occasion, it is said, some deities of neutral good in particular actually aid him, to avoid the greater evil of the greater god triumphing. Evil fights evil, aided by good to maintain division.
>>
>>44396035
Why don't you [incredibly specific thing]?
>>
>>44396035
His name sounds like a gay French pastry.
>>
>>44396035
>Why does your setting not include Mellifleur, the lich-god from the 1992 book for 2e "Monster Mythology,"

Because i'm not playing D&D.
>>
>>44396035
Probably because he's from a book published before I could speak that I've ever heard of. Dumb anime poster.

>>44396564
Fitting, that's what he's the god of.
>>
>>44396035
Mellifleur is listed as an alias of Velsharoon in the Forgotten Realms (2E's Powers & Pantheons, page 76). Talos helped raise him to godhood.
>>
>>44396035
Well now it's because somebody has associated that god with an anime image.

Take your degenerate, toxic filth back to /a/ you limpwristed faggot.
>>
>>44396035
>Mellifleur
His name is Melif now
>>
File: sadguardsman.gif (934 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
sadguardsman.gif
934 KB, 800x600
>>44397767
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>44397516
Talos is a myth, Imperial. He doesn't exist.
>>
>>44396564
>>44396687
>>44397767
What's wrong, buddy? You sound mad.
>>
While I appreciate the usefulness of pantheons for fantasy settings, I think that the unlimited number of gods in D&D cause the settings to not make sense. My own fantasy setting uses the "limited divinity" variant in Deities and Demigods, with my own twist : there isn't only a limited number of divine ranks, but also a limited number of portfolios. There are exactly thirty-six gods in the setting, never more.

Incidentally, Mellifleur is possible in this setup, since the portfolios change hands whenever one of the gods is killed. However, it also means there isn't unlimited design space. There are other ideas for interesting gods that get priority. Perhaps Mellifleur will rise in my setting some time in the future, but that will only happen if a god dies at the opportune moment.
>>
>>44396035
Because my setting already has an "evil that fights evil" god.

Olho the book worm. The god that feeds upon everything lost and forgotten. A god of secrets, lies, truenaming, and destruction. His holy symbol is a tattered book full of holes.

The god who would send his servants to destroy things of great value and power upon which he would feast. After he managed to devour the truename of a god, and thus remove him from reality, he was hunted by the other gods for his "crime". After many thousands of years a pantheon of good gods captured him and from his rotten throat they managed to squeeze only a small part of the gods name. Using it they summoned the vestige of the god and used it to bind Olho's very being.

Now the pathetic god can only eat things freely given to him. Secrets willingly taken to the grave and letters forever unwritten. However there is one thing that the allow Olho to devour at his whim. Knowledge of great evils and dark magics. Rituals, spells, items, and beings that bear the blood and sanity of the innocent.

Now his priests seek out this forbidden knowledge and put them to the torch for it is said that when at last Olho devours the book of vile darkness, and there is no evil left in the world to reform it, that he will finally be freed to devour the rest of reality, the gods, and then himself when there is nothing left.
>>
>>44397767
>implying you would have done it in the first place
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.