[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games like "The Road"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: theroad.jpg (43 KB, 305x500) Image search: [Google]
theroad.jpg
43 KB, 305x500
Do you guys know any games that are like the movie/book "The Road"?
>>
>>44388198
Why was that book so big once? It was written with the skill of a child.
>>
>>44388203
I just like it thematically
>>
>>44388203
people mistook amateur writing for 'authentic'.
>>
>>44388203
>>44388263
>amateur writing
>McCarthy

You know he had a 40 year long career before publishing The Road, right?
>>
To answer OP: there are a bunch of post-apocalyptic games, but none of them has the particular bleakness of The Road, generally they are more action-oriented (they're games after all).
I'm almost tempted to suggest Apocalypse World, given its narrative nature and focus on character relationships, but I'm not sure it's actually a good fit.
>>
>>44388198
Actually Twilight 2000 had a similar sort of tone
>>
>>44388198
AFMBE without zombies would end up like this quickly. Rules for starvation and long campaigns are in the add-on One of the Living.
>>
>>44388203
>>44388263
lol. never change /tg/
>>
File: [Jesus Christ Internally].jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
[Jesus Christ Internally].jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>44388203
>>44388263
>>
>>44388322

Seconding this, it's pretty great.

It's like The Road, but with more dakka.
>>
>>44388198
Trying to simulate any book other than dreadful forgotten realms novels with an rpg system is usually tricky.

The thing you want from the book is usually the setting and the tone, the thing people want from rpgs are usually cool mechanics and ways to influence the world.

You don't need a specific system to do bleak terrible post-apocalysm, you need the right DM, who's willing to put in a lot of work.

Maybe any system with tons of stats and abilities are totally unsuitable, maybe you just need to hack together something that keeps track of guilt, hunger and fear and makes them a big part of the game mechanics, rather than 100 ways to hit people or how much ammo fits into an AK.
>>
>>44388294
Some people stay amateurs all their life.
>>
>>44388203
>>44388263
>>44389120
ommgggggggg gggggggg were r te h guns n booboes teh man oln fukin kils like 1 fuck ing guy then RUNS WTF man= a fag bok = gay 0/10
>>
>>44389120
>Cormac McCarthy is an American novelist, playwright, and screenwriter. He won the Pulitzer Prize and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction for The Road. For All the Pretty Horses (1992), he won both the U.S. National Book Award and National Book Critics Circle Award.
>Blood Meridian (1985) was among Time magazine's list of 100 best English-language books published between 1923 and 2005 and placed joint runner-up in a poll taken in 2006 by The New York Times of the best American fiction published in the last 25 years. Literary critic Harold Bloom named him as one of the four major American novelists of his time, alongside Don DeLillo, Thomas Pynchon and Philip Roth, and called Blood Meridian "the greatest single book since Faulkner's As I Lay Dying". In 2010, The Times ranked The Road first on its list of the 100 best fiction and non-fiction books of the past 10 years.

Sure is amateur hour in here.

>inb4 he's shit anyway

Might be not really but I don't want to get into an argument about taste but "amateur" is not the word you should use here.
>>
>>44388198
I don't know of any and I would be very surprised if there were.
The settings utter bleakness would make it unappealing to most.
The two 'factions' that you could be aligned with would be 'person so desperate, starving and filthy they are barely recognizable as a person' or 'post apocalytic thug gang of indescribable depravity'. One of these offers very little possibility for teaming up and having adventures, the other would be utterly repulsive to most people if the tone was correctly captured.
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

Rolling for number of days until winter break ends
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.