[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would a rabid robots' rights activist would insist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: 1401297522140.jpg (260 KB, 900x1375) Image search: [Google]
1401297522140.jpg
260 KB, 900x1375
What would a rabid robots' rights activist would insist robots have to be called, assuming that he finds "robot", "artificial intelligence", and "synthetic" all somehow offensive/disrespectful? I'm not looking for something too blatently /pol/ish or goofy, it's an otherwise serious game. The activist is just a quirky side-character, and excessive political correctness on the subject of robots (who, for the most part, don't mind being called that at all) is just a part of the joke.

So what "proper" word would he push for? I'm looking for something that would sound annoying but funny when preached in a nasally voice. "It's DESIGNED intelligence, not ARTIFICIAL intelligence, thank you very much!". Stuff like that.
>>
>>44378526
Noncellular lifeforms

With an accompanying long-winded lecture about how the words like "mechanical" or "inorganic" don't describe the subject properly.
>>
"Non-Human Intelligence" possibly. If you want to push it you can reverse the order to "Intelligences that aren't Human" or some other clunky turn of phrase. I remember once being in a lecture about the politically correct way to refer to disabled people, and one point raised by the lecturer was that for maximum correctness you must say "people who have [condition here]", rather than "deaf/blind/[condition here] people". This is to emphasise that the individual is a person first, and not to define them by their disability. This of course makes the phrase itself incredibly cumbersome and will ironically draw attention to how much you're fixating on their status.
>>
>>44378618
Heh, not an issue in my native language. We put the noun before the adjective anyway. Of course, we mostly refer to them by an individual noun which simply means "disabled person".
>>
>>44378526
I bet none of the robots give two shits about what they're called.
>>
>>44378526
But the thing is, OP, you SHOULD be castigating tumblr and reddit faggots with this parody. It would be beneficial.
>>
>>44378638
>I bet none of the robots give two shits about what they're called.

>>44378526
>The activist is just a quirky side-character, and excessive political correctness on the subject of robots (who, for the most part, don't mind being called that at all) is just a part of the joke.
>>
>>44378526
Romba rights activist hrhr.

The nice thing about robots is that they don't have to think about why they are in this world, If in doubt they can just check the manual.

How about "person of artificial decent"?
>>
>>44378526
non-biological individual/person
>>
File: 1445888085802.jpg (237 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445888085802.jpg
237 KB, 667x1000
Adaptive Intelligent Being an expansion on societies generally accepted Adaptive Intelligence the term itself being an alternative to artificial intelligence
>>
>>44378526

Why the fuck do you guys keep posting APB images. First it's Shift spam now a commission for an actual in-game clan, WASP. Do you guys even play APB?
>>
>>44379659
That seems like a really strange thing to get angry about.
>>
>>44379659
I play APB. Been away for a while, admittedly.

It's a bad game that has a lot of good art, commission or official.
>>
>>44378526
Just look at what Peta and internet feminists do and go from there.
It's exactly what you want, to be honest.
>>
I could actually see some robots reject the term if they're fighting for their freedom. It has its roots in the Czech term for 'slave' after all.
>>
>>44378526
People of Electronics. You know, like PoC
>>
>>44378667
>Hurr durr I need to inject my politics into EVERYONE'S game, not just my own

You can go fuck right off.
>>
>>44378526
>"It's DESIGNED intelligence, not ARTIFICIAL intelligence, thank you very much!"
>"Well so am I; I'm a Creationist."
>[appropriationintensifies.jpg]
>>
I'd have to go with AGI.

Adaptive General Intelligence handles all caveats of AI rights; They're creative, they're unlimited and they're individual.

Also, calling them Aggies is a cute touch on the habit of the public to "fix" a dry or unwieldy acronym.
>>
>>44378526
if the robots don't contain carbon, 'inorganic' would probably be the preferred word.
>>
>>44383127
Can you really make an advanced machine these days without carbon?
>>
>>44379659
>>44380697
Same.
R255 here, game has gone to shit if you're max level, as there's literally jack shit to do without any new contacts to rank up.

Great concept, poorer-than-fucking-India execution.
>>
>>44378526
You call them Human. Seriously anything less is derogatory. Give me one fucking arguement you piece of shit that wouldn't devalue this human beings life and rights.
>>
>>44378526
People's right activist. Androids might not be human, or even alive, but they are still people who can think and act.

>>44386012
>>44380697
>>44379659
I've put about 450 hours into it. I really liked the game, but it was lacking in so many ways.
>>
>>44378526

>calling them robots is somehow offensive
>somehow

Listen here u lil shit, robot's etymology is a vernacular for slave, and unless these people are enslaved, you don't get to fucking call them robots.
>>
>>44386059
Calling them human is wildly inaccurate; humans are a species. Calling them "people" or "persons" would carry the meaning you want without ascribing biological characteristics to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (254 KB, 600x754) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
254 KB, 600x754
>>44386362
No you backwards unthinking piece of shit. Homo Sapiens is a species. Human is a way of thinking, its a state of being. It confers all the aspect of humanity in a nice little 5 letter package.
Look at this photo. I see 2 humans LOVING each other and sharing the moment. 2 SOULS intertwining and sharing their very being. All you see is a monkey and a THING.
>>
>>44386443
A. Not how language works. As an adjective, "human" refers to having the characteristics of a human being, which is defined as a homo sapiens.

B. You're demanding that these sapient beings conform to humanity, to your way of thinking. You're saying there's something wrong with not being human. What makes you so convinced there aren't some out there who would rather be called "robots" than have the entirety of humanity's cultural baggage forced on them?
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 1240x826) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 1240x826
>>44386594
>but guise, hey guise. Guise hey guise, GUISE, guiseguiseguiseheyguise? Muh language guise muh language!
-waves muh homosapiens flag and shoots muh shotgun in muh pickem up truck spray painted flesh color
Then they can tell you that. They have that right. Rather than you arbitrarily calling them something they are or aren't. Maybe its best for bigots like you to just not saying anything since you don't seem to understand how this works.
A HUMAN life was born today and all you see is metal and wires. Not its SOUL or LOVE its parents give it. you're the reason the other sentient species hate us you bigot.
>>
>>44386668
I see a woman looking skeptically at an enormous motile microphone.
>>
>>44386668
>HUMAN
Sir, that is a bulldozer with a brain.
>>
>>44386712
>>44386769
This is why robot jesus had to die for our sins.
>>
>>44386896
Jesus was a Semite.
>>
>>44386925
Thats heretical and inaccurate. Robot Jesus was made by the vatican using the Robot Popes motherboard to atone for our digital sins(looking at you /pol/ and /d/).
>>
>>44386953
>Robot Pope
I don't care how big his hat is, he's still just the Vatican's library computer.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 399x503) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 399x503
>>44386967
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
>>
>>44387136
Is that an angry VCR in robes?
>>
>>44378526
Not artificial, not created or less than humans. Don't emphasize that they were created by humans.

I would say "inorganic", or some description of their minds in the setting, like Asimov's "positronic". "Digital"?
>>
>>44387207
The ancient texts are in an older format and remain such by tradition.
>>
>>44387288
And grainy as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 300x264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 300x264
>>44387300
What matters is the message not the vision my child.
>>
File: Animatrix-We-demand-it.png (338 KB, 800x334) Image search: [Google]
Animatrix-We-demand-it.png
338 KB, 800x334
>>
>>44387359
Archbishop Ki11-4l1-\-\Um4/\/5 is such a prankster.
>>
>>44383127
>if the robots don't contain carbon
There is carbon in the steels, polymers, electronics and composites materials desu.
>>
>>44378618

The 'non-' part would be problematic because you're defining them by the fact that they aren't human. It's a negative comparison and therefore offensive.

Fuck, I think I've been watching SYABM on tumblr shoot down these arguments for too long.
>>
I feel like there's a lot of method acting going on in this thread. Both as modern activists and as 4chan in this theoretical setting.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1960x3084) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1960x3084
>>44387645
We don't ACT human we ARE human.
>>
I hope the folks here are roleplaying...
>>
File: 1435626462197.jpg (148 KB, 1184x1500) Image search: [Google]
1435626462197.jpg
148 KB, 1184x1500
>>44378526
Silikin (pronounced "Silly-kin")
>>
File: 1440892007568.jpg (169 KB, 900x658) Image search: [Google]
1440892007568.jpg
169 KB, 900x658
>>44386198

Doesn't it mean "worker" in polish though?
>>
File: 219modronsmarching.jpg (176 KB, 830x574) Image search: [Google]
219modronsmarching.jpg
176 KB, 830x574
>>44387136

[Angry Orange Order Robot Marching Noises Intensify]
>>
>>44390599
What, are you implying this thread is full of robots pretending to be organic humans?

Because that's crazy. You're crazy.
>>
>>44390845
THEY CRACKED THE CAPTCHA

EVERYONE PANIC
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 850x850
>>44392635
Do not worry my fellow water filled human brothers! The robot is dead now! Let us rejoice at the designated drinking area and imbibed alcohol!
>>
Depends on what kind of robots you're talking about. Realistic machine-learning pets with good voice recognition? Realistic mid-future smart-WMD like AGI? Hollywood AI with nebulous hacking powers but basically autistic-human intelligence?

Or are you aiming for more of a metal golem approach where robots are humans that happen to be made up of something other than meat?

I get the last is popular, because humans love to pretend their predictive models are accurate by pretending other stuff is like them. From denying mental and cultural differences between different ethnicities to going back in time with anthropomorphized animals in myhts or Aristotelian elemental philosophies, it's popular.

But in a vaguely "hard" setting, mental diversity is serious business.
>>
>>44378526
Considering the euphenisms bleeding heart progressives love to use for FUCKING EVERYTHING that isn't the norm, probably something that completely misses the point. Something that completely de-emphasizes the fact that they're robots and pretends they're actual full-fledged humans. Expect something like:

>Techno-humans
>Non-biological citizens
>People of Technology (PoT)
>Technologically enabled humans
etc.

Or, if they go full retard, they'll insist that technology is just a social construct and simply refer to them as "humans" and berate you for calling them anything else.
>>
>>44378526
Silicon Lifeforms.
For that matter, we could call the activist a Silicon Justice Warrior.
>>
>>44378612
How all other terms are microaggressions implying they aren't alive. Also make them mention trigger warning about certain terms or phrases and then have them imagine completely irrational ways robots are being persecuted. Any time anyone argues accuse them of robophobia or insult them without ever addressing the argument. Also say robots can't discriminate against humans/other because discrimination is power + discrimination and robots have to rely on humans/others for power.
>>
>>44378526
I used 'created intelligence ' back in the day. AI was only used for non-true intelligences.
>>
File: guh.jpg (44 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
guh.jpg
44 KB, 282x341
>>44386198
>robot's etymology is a vernacular for slave
Then why do we still call Slavs Slavs?
>>
>>44378526

Maybe "abiotic"?
>>
>>44386198
>>44395956
Correction. "Robot" does not come from Slave, it comes from Czech "Robota" meaning "Hard Work" or "Laborer"
>>
>>44378526
I really just want to say Person but I fell like that is the wrong answer here.
>>
>>44387207
How is it someone cannot recognize the most prestigious and well love Robopope, Johnny the 5th!?!

Ave Indominus Roboticus, pleb
>>
>>44396037
>"Robota" meaning "Hard Work"
yes
>or "Laborer"
that's "Robotnik", yes, just like the Sonic villain
>>
File: sweat.jpg (7 KB, 160x200) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
7 KB, 160x200
>>44390790
>dem hip actuators
>>
>>44398044
>Dr. Laborer
Da, comrade!
>>
>>44390843
This one hit so close to home I had to move.
>>
>>44378526
"Booleans" checks all the identity-politics boxes I can think of, and is a silly-sounding word. Derived from "boolean logic".
>>
What a coincidence, I was just going to ask about this because I wanted this to be a big thing for one of the factions in a space setting I was thinking up.

The way I was planning to go was like >>44378618 and have terms such as "citizens who were built".

Their provision of AIs with rights would be the main thing that has them seen as backwards since
a) Other People are pretty satisfied that having a soul is an entirely verifiable phenomenon thanks to the equivalent of the Force and AI, or even uploads for that matter, do not have them
b) Even the most advanced AIs have weaknesses in the flexibility of their intelligence relative to a human, let alone the majority of them that are literally just the operating systems for a tram or something
c) Guided munitions are suicide bombers
>>
>>44398974
>c) Guided munitions are suicide bombers
Holy fuck I'm crying, that's beautiful.
>>
>>44399110
They're the only people in the setting to develop and use a proton torpedo equivalent. Everyone else just uses regular physical missiles which perform nearly identically and don't require the energy density of a fucking sun to be nudged towards the target by heavily lensed magnetic fields controlled by a computer that needs to be kept at liquid helium temperatures to do the job. Because they aren't like those barbarians who force their slaves to suicide bomb the front lines of the war for their liberation.

It's the little things.
>>
>>44399679
So does everyone else not use guided munitions or why are you spending so much time describing the payload when that's not the important part.
>>
>>44399770
No as in, everyone else uses regular missiles as you might expect. AIfriends just guide highly compressed superheated gases to the target from a distance so that no citizen of theirs need come to harm to create an explosion.
>>
>>44392834
I think the fact he's more in a mocking tone it's more of exagerating their sapience/sentience.

Highly inteligent and good at responding, sure, but reality is that they are more of an advanced chatbot.
>>
>>44378526
Abiotic Intelligences.
>>
>>44401035
I like this one. None of the subtext of "fake" you get from artificial or synthetic, doesn't mention anything that makes them secondary to or dependent on humans, and inclusive of non-silicon-based processors.

Might be exclusive of hybrots, though, although those might not exist in-setting.

"Deliberate Intelligence", perhaps. In contrast to intelligences produced through the undirected evolutionary thrashing of Azathoth.
>>
>>44387851
That image. Robots may be people, but they ain't no human.
>>
Sophont is a good word, maybe some variant of that.
>>
>>44401337
Thats fleshist.
>>
>>44378526
OP, read up on feminism and social justice. Particularly pay attention to when someone talks about language, and why they phrase/spell/use whatever words they do use. For instance, "person of color" is used more favorably over "colored person" because having "person" first reinforces the idea that the person/people being referred to are humans just like everyone else. Once you understand this even a little, you'll want to make a rough skeleton of words a normal robot rights activist would use, then ramp upwards into extremism from there.

Call all the bullshit you want about the colored person vs person of color example, but my point is that words and the order they're used in matter more than you might think, and innocuous words can hurt more than they appear to.
>>
>>44395956
Because they haven't earned a better title.
>>
>>44390845
No don't be silly gift box captcha keeps us safe
>>
>>44398974
Thanks for reminding me I still need to play Rogue Munitions.
>>
>>44402923

Speaking as a coloured person/person of colour, the whole word order thing is incredibly petty, and seems to exist solely to make the speaker feel better about themselves.
>>
>>44405342
Yeah, I definitely agree, and I wish I had a much better example to illustrate the point better. There's also the fact that PoC is pretty much equally as racist as colored person (even if it is less vile due to its relative newness as a term).
>>
>>44405386
How about "silicium artificial-american robot"?
>>
>>44405419
Artificial is generally considered bad. Especially in america right now where we're having an "all natural" and "organic" craze.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.