[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malifaux general! Infiltrating your factions and abandoning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 5
File: MeiFeng.jpg (234 KB, 737x737) Image search: [Google]
MeiFeng.jpg
234 KB, 737x737
Malifaux general! Infiltrating your factions and abandoning our own edition.

Here are some useful links:

books;
https://mega.nz/#F!M9dyDTrI!eNYCwqvg4iPWy_z-M0P9dw

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

Discussion topic: Who's your favourite beater? Who's your favourite scheme runner?
>>
Just by faction:
Outcast beater-Rusty Alyce. Get her some good ground and she'll eat models, get her desolate soul and she'll pop aboms when she does it.
Outcast Scheme runner-void wretches. Cheap and fast, and can help in offensive bury lists.

Resser beater: for non master, bete noir, though she doesn't work in every list. 8 ss to eat minions on a flank, 10 to make masters cry.
Resser scheme runner: crooligans. They bring their own cover and get a free move when interacting. What's not to like?
>>
Mei Feng Newbie here. I'm going to be getting my first game in sunday. I'll have Kaeris' box and Mei Feng's box to pick from, so obviously declaring Arcanist. Any hints and tips for a first game? Other than to get sleeves for the cards because holy shit they're slippery?
>>
>Who's your favourite beater

Izamu. I just love that motherfucker so much.
>>
Is there ever a reason to buy more than one box of models in this game?
>>
>>44375964

Not really.

A few summon heavy masters like So'mer or Ramos benefit from getting another box of their summon, but for the most part never buy a separate box of something if they are also included in a master's crew box.
>>
>>44374925
Update:
WHO THE FUCK SAID IT WAS OKAY FOR THESE MODELS TO BE SO SMALL AND FINICKY AND REQUIRE THIS MUCH ASSEMBLY WHILE BEING SO COMPARATIVELY TINY THIS IS NOT OKAY.
Current toll from trying to assemble three models: One of Kaeris' legs and a Fire Gamin's head have vanished into the aether.
>>
>>44376073

Welcome to Malifaux.

At least you didn't start with Gremlins.
>>
>>44376114
I...I was planning to get my boyfriend Gremlins because he's from Tennessee and he thinks southern caricatures are funny. The LGS has a box of bayou gremlins and som'er for sale. Have I erred?
>>
File: critters.jpg (940 KB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
critters.jpg
940 KB, 2656x1494
>>44376195

They're really good looking models and So'mer is a very versatile master, but everything in that box sans Lenny is going to be tiny and hard to assemble.

It's not a huge deal by any means if you take your time, so don't let that hold you back.
>>
>>44376195
I enjoy assembling models more than painting them and Malifaux models are a fun challenge. Somer's box is pretty small in terms of parts. Not as bad as the bushwhacker box, but harder than Wong. It is worth the challenge and if he likes the aesthetic it isn't a bad gift for your bf.
>>
>>44376335
>>44376227
He's, uh, never played a minis game before. Never found one he liked the look of. This was going to be his first time assembling minis, and he gets discouraged easily...
>>
File: Somer Teeth Jones - Box Rear.jpg (140 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Somer Teeth Jones - Box Rear.jpg
140 KB, 640x480
>>44376348

You have a couple of options.

You could help him assemble his dudes. If this is his first minis game ever you could build them as a couple and give him some pointers while you build some of your stuff.

You could gift him the old metal box and the gremlins wave 1 stat cards. The models are a bit uglier, but since they're metal they're also much easier to assemble. If you do go this route I would look into finding some way to proxy Lenny since he's a huge workhorse within a So'mer list.

The third option would be to try another Gremline master. If you're still wanting to go wit the hillbilly theme Ulix would be a solid way to go. He's a very good master, and the pigs are much easier to put together. I don't have personal experience with it, but some anon in the WIP thread posted the instructions to Ulix himself and he looks to be at an ok difficulty to assemble.
>>
Favourite beater is Rafkin, as I usually play McMourning. He is a bargain for 7 SS with the Doc, he is tough enough for his point cost, has a good threat range, damage spread and number of attacks against poisoned targets, and most importantly, he is dangerous enogh to divert some focus from McM and Sebastian.
My other master is Nicodem, I prefer Izamu with him, although usually the summoned-accompliced-fast-flurrying Punk Zombies do most of the killing, while Izamu tarpits.

I've always wanted to love Bete Noire, but she was a disappointment every time I put her on the table. Maybe I should give her another chance now that I've won a translucent red one on my last tourney.

Scheme Runner: Necropunks. Leap, hard to kill and self healing is a great combination.
>>
>>44378210

Are you running Bete more in McMourning or Nicodem?

She has a sort of anti-synergy with Nico since he's hungry for high value cards, and she doesn't further McM's poison game.

I see her running better in a Yan Lo, Tara, or Seamus crew.
>>
>>44374933
I've been wondering about him, specifically out of Mei and Yan Lo. What makes you love him so much?
>>44376073
Update:
I give. One of the Fire Gamin isn't getting assembled. One of them and the Eternal Flame are getting assembled by someone else. I did finish Kaeris, Firestarter, and a Fire Gamin, though.
>>
>>44378454
I've ran her with Seamus and McMourning, but it was in early M2E times. She did not really achieve too much in 2-3 games, so I replaced her in my crew, but I might give her another chance.

I'm not certain her lack of poison would be such a disadvantage in a McMourning crew, especially that a few of the Doc's staple models have a tendency to die to focus fire after running into a bunch of enemies. It was her card hogging tendencies which turned me off, a 10+ card could easily mean an unresistable Expunge in a lot of situations.
>>
>>44376429
Go old metal. Just make sure that you got some green stuff to fill up the gaps
>>
>>44378922
Yeah, it's the old metal models. I just don't want to scare him away, and the models are scaring me, y'know?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with running a performer with The Brewmaster? I have read some cool things about such a combo, but want to hear more before spending the cash.
>>
>>44374925
Mei Feng is pretty good, but her entire deal is murdering people in melee, and the rail workers suck for running schemes. I guess Fire Gamin are a little faster? Kang is also a total hero, bring him with some rail workers and you'll smash the bourgeois right out of your opponent's robots and zombies.
>>
>>44378963
Basically, yeah. I've got the Firestarter, the Metal Gamin, and the Fire Gamin to work as scheme runners - most notably, Firestarter. I love Mei's fluff, though, and when I go Ten Thunders I'm imagining Yan Lo acting as something of a 'chaplain' or 'priest' to the rail workers when he's not off building his chi and taking names.
>>
I tried putting an electric creation together earlier and seriously i've never been more annoyed trying to make a model, also may have lost a couple of pieces
>>
>>44378973
I play Mei Feng as Thunders, and I love bringing Metal gamin. They want to be near other friendlies though, I wouldn't recommend using them as scheme runners. Because of Mei's general lack of scheme scoring abilities or support, I usually only play her in Reckoning and Turf War where she can fight her scrappy little heart out. It seems like her crew usually wants to stay pretty bunched up.
Fire gamin at least can move around and fire off some pot shots as they move around the board to drop markers though.
I think the best Arcanist scheme runner is probably the Wind Gamin, which aren't out yet. They have Leap, and are cheap. Maybe you could proxy those if you need runners?
>>
So, I'm looking into starting Malifaux with the Children of December set. What else will I need? I imagine the 2E book, along with a deck. Does deck colour matter?
>>
>>44379172
No, but for the love of god, GET SLEEVES. I don't know what they make malifaux decks out of, but they're extremely fucking slippery. I tried bridging the deck once and immediately had to play 54 pickup. As for what else you'll need, your first pick is December Acolyte.
>>
>>44379172
you should probably get some clear plastic sleeves for your stat cards, deck colour doesn't matter at all.
>>
>>44379172
Rasputina's core box is a little weak without some other models. Try to buy some December Acolytes and Silent Ones. Also a tape measure is required.
>>
in general are metal gamin even worth taking anymore when you can just get a rail worker for a point extra?
>>
>>44379077
>I play Mei Feng as Thunders, and I love bringing Metal gamin. They want to be near other friendlies though, I wouldn't recommend using them as scheme runners. Because of Mei's general lack of scheme scoring abilities or support, I usually only play her in Reckoning and Turf War where she can fight her scrappy little heart out. It seems like her crew usually wants to stay pretty bunched up.
This is why I've gotten Kaeris, for the sake of having a crew that can branch out and do things at range. Born Of Fire is significantly worse once you've lost one of your gamin models, though. In my Mei list, Mei herself is being used as a pseudo-Scheme Runner. She can jump across the board with Railwalk, drop a Scheme, and let Kang do a lot of the "Leader" leading.
> I think the best Arcanist scheme runner is probably the Wind Gamin, which aren't out yet. They have Leap, and are cheap. Maybe you could proxy those if you need runners?
I'm trying not to proxy yet, because we have like 3 other people trying to get into the game at the same time and it seems somewhat like poor form. I'll look into them, but my next pickups are the Yan Lo box, Izamu/Toshiro/Komainu, and Howard Langston/Metal Rider.
>>
>>44379216
Got a ton from playing Warmahordes. Are they the correct size?

>>44379223
Thanks.

>>44379256
Yeah, I've read that, but also that it got stronger with 2nd Ed.
>>
>>44379216
They just need some use. Sit and watch a movie or a couple of tv shows and overhand shuffle the new deck while you watch. By the end of the movie or whatever, you'll be able to riffle shuffle them without any problems.
>>
>>44379294
>In my Mei list, Mei herself is being used as a pseudo-Scheme Runner.
Yeah, you COULD do that. She is a Street Fighter character pretending to play Malifaux, and 100% of her abilities are about murdering people. I find she is best used to tie up 2-3 of the opponents models, or put ridiculous pressure on the enemy master. That's what she is designed to do, and it frees up your other models to run around and do things. Railwalking requires your constructs to be near where you want to lay markers anyway. If you want another huge, fast melee guy in Arcanists, Howard Landston is indeed a monster. He can help support the "rush your enemy and murder them" strategy while your other dudes toddle around the sides to score points.

>>44379302
2nd Ed all over is better. Raspy's crew can be devastating and totally competitive, but Ice Gamin kind of suck? They are basically walking arc nodes, because they can't fight and are too slow to run schemes. Ice Golem is great though.
>>
>>44379407
I'm a Khador Sorscha player, so Rasputina appealed on aesthetics and lore. The Golem is really nice looking, and was mostly what drew me in.
>>
>>44378745

>pretty good damage spread
>good accuracy
>sturdy
>spirit
>sacrifices himself when he'd be killed, so he cockblocks your opponent's kill

He's just go so much to love.
>>
How is Lucius for a new player? I like his look but would he be too complicacated?
My other choice was The Dreamer because Lord Chompy Bits looks awesome.

How do both fare power wise? Any tips to running them?
>>
>>44379569
Both are a bit complicated, but so are most of the masters, but after a few games you should get the basics of playing them.

Dreamer is top-tier, however many of his summons are not available yet. Should not be a problem if you for the beatstick playstyle, willing to proxy a few things, or just can wait for a few months until their release.

Lucius is considered to be one of the weaker masters. He is not impossible to win with, as he is good at schemes, which are core to winning, but the consensus in my meta is that he is just a (much) weaker version of Colette.
>>
>>44379569
Lucius and Dreamer are both great masters, but they require a bit of extra legwork and money to get the most out of them. Lucius' core box is kind of ass, and Dreamer works best when summoning, so you want other support boxes to really get the most out of them. I wrote an article on Lucius that should be coming out some time soon at spritesanddice. com. The main point is that Neverborn Lucius likes to bring Guild shooting assets like Riflemen alongside Neverborn melee minions like the Illuminated. He's fun, but I don't think he's top tier if you're looking at competitive play.

Dreamer however is the #1 or #2 master, depending on who you talk to. You don't NEED to play him as a summoner, but it's easily his strongest playstyle. Shooty Dreamer works, and if you grab a box of Illuminated and the Lelu and Lilitu box, you can have a really nasty murder crew. I recommend Insidious Madness as a good scheme runner/ summoning option for him. I regularly bring Coppelius in other Neverborn crews, just because he's so filthy good.

Overall, neither master is TOO complicated, but expect to lose your first few games as you figure out their tricks. I wrote an article on the Neverborn and broke down their newbie-friendliness, if you wanted to check it out. It's on Sprites and Dice, just search Neverborn.
>>
>>44379541
100% Accurate. Izamu is a monster to be feared.
>>
What are some good ways to expand with the Lady Justice starter? I've played a few games against a mate who got the Lilith starter and I seem to get absolutely fucked by Barbaros + pounces unless I concentrate entirely on scheme running.
>>
>>44379930
>>44379917
Thanks! I think I'll start off with the Hide and Seek set then.
I think the playstyle suits me a bit better.
>>
>>44380071
Bring heavier dudes that are hard to kill? Big robots like the Guardians, or maybe Executioners. If you wanted to hard counter the Lilith push/lure strategy, be a jerk and hire Anna Lovelace as a mercenary. Your other option is to play way aggressive and get up on the Tots and kill them before you get pounced on.
>>
>>44380093
Good choice. Lelu and Lilitu are high priority, and they are coming out soon. I got mine for Black Friday. Same with Madnesses. Not sure if they are in stores yet. Illuminated are one of the best minions in the game, and Dreamer's healing aura plus Empty Night working on minions makes the illuminated even scarier. Teddy is a great choice, although there are more survivable Neverborn beaters. Widow Weaver is cool, but not required.
>>
Since Lucius doesn't have a Neverborn Emissary upgrade, can the Mysterious Emissary use the Conflux of Tyranny from Guild?
>>
>>44380656
the upgrade has both guild and neverborn colours on it so i'd assume so
>>
>>44378960
It's good. The Performer gives you another Lure effect to bring people into the bubble, and the A Sip of Wine trigger is a great way to turn a big stack of poison into immediate damage if you need to properly kill something.

And they've also got Don't Mind Me which makes them really great at a lot of interaction strategies.
>>
>>44380656
Yes
>>
>>44380788
>>44381055

Thanks
>>
Neverborn players: Who do you tend to use Nekima with?
>>
Why do people say Zoraida is better in Gremlins?
>>
Gremlins, NB, or Ressers? I like all the aesthetics enough, and I guess I'm taking votes. Pretty new to wargames in general
>>
>>44384343
Gremlins. Especially if it's your first game, they're funny and relatively easy.
>>44383933
For that same reason. Gremlins have a lot of ways to smooth out any mistakes you make, and are pretty powerful as well as being forgiving.
>>
Thinking of these two variants for Dreamer list cores.

32/50ss Crew

The Dreamer -- 3ss
+Dreams Of Pain - 5ss
+Otherworldly - 2ss
Day Dream x 2 - 4ss
Coppelius - 8ss
+On Dreaming Wings - 2ss
Teddy - 11ss

38/50ss Crew

The Dreamer -- 3ss
+Tantrum - 2ss
+Restless Dreams - 1ss
Day Dream x 2 - 4ss
Coppelius - 8ss
Insidious Madness - 5ss
Insidious Madness - 5ss
Teddy - 11ss
+On Dreaming Wings - 2ss

Any advice/suggestions?
>>
>>44376073
Git gud
>>
So why is the dreamer top tier? Is he versatile or beaty or what?
>>
>>44390024
>top tier
I don't believe anyone who says there are top tier masters in Malifaux. There are just masters who aren't as good at certain strats and schemes than others.

That said, summoning dreamer is much better than beaty dreamer.
>>
I'm starting a through the breach game, as the Fatemaster. What should I do for the first session?
>>
Looking at Yan Lo to start my Malifaux career and I've caught the yellow fever.
I've reaf extensively that Izamu is an avsolute beast with Yan Lo. And I've looked at the Samurai aswell.
They seem really cool and would fit with the aesthetic I had in mind, while still being pretty multi role seeing ad their free upgrades can turn them into a mobile scheme hunter, a Gatling turret and a beefy objective claimer.

Are they a good investment? They seem absolutely baller and I love the models.
>>
>>44383933
All you miss out on playing her with Gremlins not Neverborn is Eternal JuJu. I think a lot of it is redundancy/so many top tier Masters in Born. Never born have three Masters that do the same sort of thing (Zoraida, Lucius, Collodi) whereas she has more of a unique niche in Gremlins.

I will never get bored of using Animal Shape.
>>
>>44390230
There are. The curve is not as obvious as it was in V1, but it is still there.
>>
>>44383933

I don't know if this makes her better per say, but using her Obey to get extra 1 AP charges out of a Warpig is disgusting.
>>
>>44390841
Roosters. Same damage, three points cheaper. She's utter nuts with three of them and Stake a Claim.
>>
>>44390851

I keep forgetting about the Rooster Riders. Do they have models yet?
>>
>>44390860

Not yet.
>>
>>44390860
Not yet. I have a few of the Easter Roosters though.
>>
>>44390485
I have this plan too, so bumping this.
>>
I ended up getting the Kaeris box for Christmas.

I've already got Mei, Ironsides, Mech Rider, Metal Gamin, a Rail Golem and some Gunsmiths.

Any other good purchases? I have my eye on Willie (hur hur), but was thinking maybe a list like

Kaeris
3 Fire Gamin
2 Gunsmiths
2 Oxford Mages
Firestarter

as a core, leaving me a few SS for upgrades/totem.
>>
>>44391080

Ramos box might be nice since it provides you with two good beaters, and the Mechanical Spiders are good alt summons for the Mech Rider.
>>
I have a gencon dreamer that I've been thinking about building for a while. Any suggestions?
>>
How are the starter set models outside of the starter set?
>>
>>44391369
Decent in faction, kinda of meh as mercs.
>>
>>44390230
And there are masters who are good at basically all strats and schemes and lack real hard-counters.
>>
>>44391731

Such as?
>>
File: Malifaux-M2E-Leviticus-Crew.jpg (156 KB, 1600x608) Image search: [Google]
Malifaux-M2E-Leviticus-Crew.jpg
156 KB, 1600x608
>>44391755
>>
>>44391768

Can't you just use Pigapults or Austringers to take out the waifs so we can't come back?

Also won't he suffer in strats and schemes that require a lot of objective running since Levi is mostly focused on killing and a lot of his crew is going to be made up of big expensive guys?
>>
>>44391755
Leveticus, Colette, Lilith are the obvious three, but there are plenty of others who can do anything well with the proper crew. Shenlong, McCabe, Kirai, Resser McMourning, probably Nicodem (Reckoning is a bit hard but doable), the Dreamer etc.
>>
>>44392035
Leveticus and Ashes and Dust can get in your face and quite reliably kill any of your models very quickly.

He can still summon Abominations who are significant minions and could do the scheming, or hire Void Wretches or Necropunks/Crooligans with his upgrades.
>>
>>44392035

Levi has the largest hiring pool in the game. He can do *anything* so long as you build your list appropriately.
>>
>>44380071
Francisco is a great addition to a Lady J crew. He can make her Df7 Wp9, push friendly models and hits like a truck.

Austringers are always a welcome addition. The 12"/18" ranged attack that ignores LoS/cover is money, as is the ability to give friendlies a push and interact.

If you have an old avatar or suitable proxy, the Brutal Emissary is fantastic with her. It can box her up and unbox her touching any scheme marker he can see, and being a Ht3 model he can see quite a bit. Drop Lady J in the middle of a crew and she'll go nuts on them.

Brutal Effigy is a cheap significant minion who can give Lady J card draw and healing.
>>
>>44383933
Obeying Rooster Riders and general Gremlin bullshit.
>>
>>44390485
Samurai are pretty badass. You probably won't take more than 1 at a time since they're a bit expensive, but with Mark of Jigoku (the one that makes you not kill yourself) they can do a good bit of work.

Yan Lo himself buffs himself to become almost unkillable and gives more actions to your spirits. Izamu, Yin, Chiaki and so on. He's tricky to get the hang of, to the point where people call him UP, but if you can git gud he's brutal.
>>
>>44391369
Generally better in-faction.

Grimwell is really fast, a good caddy for Dampening Field or the generic Witch Hunter upgrade, and has a serious threat in his Lobotomy. He's a bit fragile, so use him more as a flanker/runner killer.

Heartsbane is fairly durable for an enforcer, can push friendlies, is a good caddy for that Witch Hunter upgrade, and can do a bit of damage/positioning with her melee.

Orderlies are faster Wastrels with less utility. Not bad, not great.

Angel Eyes I like a lot for carrying Nephilim upgrades and shooting into engagements, but her damage is underwhelming. People like Hans and McTavish more in that role.

Scion is mainly used for condition removal. Can do some damage too.

Wretches that can get Fast are crazy. + to attacks from charges combined with their tactical action makes them nuts. Awesome with Dreamer.
>>
>>44392370
Will the people I play against loathe me if I run 3 Gatling Samurai and kill all their scheme runners?
>>
>>44392370
Yan Lo soubds like a master I'd like.
Read something about jumping to an enemy model and bringing it back to Izamu which sounds hilarious and awesome at the same time
>>
>>44391369
I'm vibing on Grimwell in Gremlin Zoraida.
Obey for Focus. Use Lobotomy. ??? PROFIT!
>>
>>44392312
The best kind of Gremlin anything!
>>
>>44392312

But she can hire Rooster Riders in NB, too. They're Willpower 4.
>>
Does Wyrd not realize their minis are going to be transported to game stores? A lot of their plastics have awful base contact points, and are far too thin to pin to the base either.
>>
>>44393215
But then you pay Merc tax and I'm not sure if they're seven stones good. It's like a lot of her Swampfiends going the other way. Would I spend 8ss on a Sillurid? No.
>>
>>44392669
Nah, that's almost half your crew in 3 models. It would look baller as fuck.

>>44392729
Lightning Dance!
>>
>>44394093
Neato! I really want to run full Japan mode so I guess the Lone Swordsmen is a good buy aswell.

However I believe I need to get the 3 sepeeate Ancestor models and the Samurai before anything else.
Especially Yin and Izamu.
The Komainu are the general scheme runners correct?
>>
>>44394184

If you want scheme runners go with Tengu.
>>
>>44394235
How about both?
What other things are good to get for minions.
I get why you get the Ancestors and the Tengu.
But what other roles do I need to fill?
>>
>>44391727
>>44392436
>>44392865
Who would you guys recommend grabbing along with the set on either side? I kinda assume Lilith for the neverborn side, but idk
>>
Let's talk about Seamus /tg/. What upgrades do you put on him? Mad Haberdasher and Red Chapel Killer both look almost mandatory, and you still have his two limited upgrades and Decaying Aura to choose from. Where do I even start with all this?
>>
>>44394184
Chiaki comes with Yan Lo. Izamu, Yin and Toshiro are good buys. Toshiro can summon Komainu, so there they go. Komainu in general are mother fuckers. Armor, Hard to Kill, placement stuff, targeting Wp, they're just generally assholes. Tengu and Thunder Bros are the best scheme runners 10T have, but Komainu can do it too and fuck up enemy scheme runners, they're just not as mobile.

Lone Swordsman is a cruise missile, point at something and you'll usually end up trading them.

>>44394410
For the Neverborn, Lilith is a good pick for Nephilim synergy. They work well with Dreamer too. Scion can clear slow/waking/whatever, Wretches really benefit from fast, and Angel Eyes can sneak around flanks and pick off models drowning in Nightmares.

Guild stuff works well with Sonnia, since they're all Witch Hunters. Perdita is always a good pick. McCabe can get good benefit from giving Orderlies Nimble, Grimwell Armor/Healing, or any of them a Glowing Saber. Orderlies are decent support for Lucius, as he can farm SS off them while they heal themselves.
>>
>>44394451
Red Chapel for sure. Sinister Rep or Bag O' Tools is the big decision. I like Bag O' Tools for doing Plant Explosives or Spring the Trap easily. Sinister Rep works great with all the Wp fuckery Ressers can do, plus it lets you finish off stuff the .50 cal Flintlock can't one-shot (hard to kill in particular).

Mad Haberdasher is situational, I think. Good with Assassinate or against models that have rude after damaging effects. It's just expensive, so you have to think about it a little. Corpse Bloat is nice for fueling your summons/back alley, and stench can be nasty with Sinister Rep. Decaying Aura is situational, probably not one I'd pick. Spare Parts or Maniacal Laugh could be fun if you expect a lot of death.
>>
>>44394451
Mad Haberdasher is not mandatory, but it's good to have. Either of the Limited upgrades is a must have, most people prefer Sinister reputation for the -Wp aura. It makes Wp targeting attacks (Sybelle's Ca, Yin, Belles, Hanged, Bishop, Datsue Ba etc.) and Terrifying very strong (and self healing for your master easier). However, Seamus' attack will be shit if you get stuck in melee though, so proper positioning for pushing away with your trigger/Lures/Back Alleys is a key.

Bag of Tools gives you better sustained damage and the triggers are very good, the one which lets you place scheme markers could be a game winner.

In my opinion Decarying Aura would be decent with the Bag of Tools, but even then, Seamus is not really an assassin, his mobility/tarpitting/debuffing with Sinister Reputation are his real strengths. I think the only master who really benefits from Decaying Aura is McMourning, as it makes a well-executed poison bomb on soulstone users with 9 wounds or less uncounterable.
>>
Thinking of using some X-Mas money to pick up the following for Lilith:

Waldegeists
Mr Graves
Nekima
Doppelganger
Mysterious Effigy
Primordial Magic
Johan

A lot of it will be good for other Masters too, of course.
>>
>>44396243
Seems like a good plan. Best of luck anon.
>>
Henchman list 35ss

Captain Dashel - Leader

Rifleman 5ss
Rifleman 5ss
Rifleman 5ss

Performer 6ss

Austringer 6ss

Guild Guard 4ss

Guild Guard 4ss

What do you think?
>>
Oh my God, the plastic Arcane Effigy is so terrible. The candlesticks are so thin they break while on the sprue, and then the replacement torso that Wyrd sent me was in a plastic bag so they're all badly stressed in multiple places.
>>
Are there any immediate buys for Sonnia? Also, how does her box v. Raspy box work for demo games? I bought Raspy before realizing that I don't really like any other Arcanist masters.
>>
>>44379917
>Lucius is considered to be one of the weaker masters.
>>44379930
>Lucius' core box is kind of ass

Both of these are a little distressing because I want to play Lucius. I love his look, and the synergy he gets with Guild Guard, Riflemen, and the likes really calls to me. Also he looks fun in Neverborn with Mimics(and since I plan to play Shenlong as well I can get Tannen and Graves and run them in both TT and NB).

I guess since I don't play tournaments, or even super competitive to start with, I shouldn't be too worried; but is he really that shit?
>>
>>44400583

Nah. Kind of a shit start for Neverborn, since no one else can use anything in his box though. I think he's considered "weak" since his gameplay is indirect, centered on the quality of your mooks, and requires luck not to fuck you.
>>
>>44400641
Well I would start him with Guild, then eventually branch into Neverborn. I want to run him with Mimics and Nephilem.

Also; does anyone know a good crew builder that's up-to-date? The one on Wyrd's site got taken down, and now I'm stuck wanting to put together some crews to see what I want to buy.
>>
>>44400753

http://www.bythetree.net/
>>
>>44400787
Sweet, thanks.
>>
So do I get Tengu, or Wandering River Monks, for TT scheme runners? Also, are there better Runners than Molemen to be had in Arcanists, especially keeping towards Mei Feng's themes?
>>
>>44400943
The choice between tengu and monks of the low river comes down to utility versus durability. It's easier to keep the monk alive, giving you more opportunity to place schemes (and condition removal on a 4ss model is great), but the tengu can multi task killing an important model while placing schemes with its melee trigger, which also allows it the rare ability to keep sheming while engaged, and it's (0) remove up to 2 schemes in 3" is powerful if you can deliver it to the right place later in the game.

I don't play 10 thunders but I think Tengu win out as pure shemers, though I'd run both given the choice to avoid redundancy.

As for Arcanist schemers for Mei, top of the pile imo are Metal Gamin (still), for railwalk targets with durability and the magnetism ability. Fire Gamin are good choices as well for the wk 5 and reliable burning to add to Mei's dmg output. On a less thematic note, performers are always great schemers for 5ss.
>>
>>44400583
Nope, he is just kinda difficult and indirect. Plus you need a ton of minions
>>
Noob here - is there any difference between fate and arcane fate decks? Placing an order and I don't want to get the wrong thing. Obviously.
>>
>>44404749
No, the arcane fate deck is just a fancier fate deck. They are the same thing when it comes to gameplay.
>>
>>44404781
Cool, thanks. The standard decks seem to be out of stock everywhere.
>>
>>44404788
I think they might have stopped printing it because it comes in the new starter set. The arcane fate deck is really nice, though. GMort took full pictures of all the cards to show them off http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2014/08/unboxing-malifaux-arcane-fate-deck.html

If you can find the deck from the new starter set, though, second-hand or something, I'd strongly suggest getting that. Even if you aren't a new player, its nice because it changes the suits to more clearly show what they would be on a standard deck of playing cards, so it'd help you remember them in case you need to use a regular deck for some reason, and it also lists what damage tract level each card does, so it makes remembering easier.
>>
What kind of offensive Minions are best to take with Collodi? Illuminated are a given, but what about things like Stitched Together? Coryphee?
>>
>>44404788
You can also play with a common poker deck
>>
>>44406707

Stock up on the Effigies.

Also it's not a minion but I've heard Lazarus does some fun things in a Collodi crew.
>>
What does a "core" Molly list look like? She's so versatile with her summoning it's hard to sit down and figure what she should be buying and what she should be summoning. So far I'm looking at Dead Doxies, Philip, Sybelle, and Crooligans for core. What else is important for her to buy rather than summon?
>>
>>44410109

Really depends if you're planning Horrors or Spirits.
>>
>>44410387
Let's say Horrors, since that's what I've got so far.
>>
>>44410613

Rogue Necromancy and the Valedictorian are good hires for beaters. Assuming you got the Transmortis box you should at least have teh Valedictorian.

Other than that your core looks pretty solid to me.
>>
>>44410109
Belles, if you don't have them already. And Nurses. You can never go wrong with those two as a Resser.
>>
>>44410109
Basically, things you can't summon. Sybelle, Philip, Chiaki, the Nurse, the Rogue Necro, Izamu, or the Valedictorian, Belles or Doxies. Crooligans are also worth hiring since they're not very exciting at one wound so close to engagement range.

Exactly what you take will depend on the objectives, but usually I'd look at Sybelle, a Belle or two, and a beater.
>>
What, if any, Masters allow for good lists with only their 'thematic' options? I've been poking at Yan Lo, but I need a Samurai for ranged presence and a Monk of either Low or Wandering River for Scheme Running, and so on. Arcanists seem to have it worse, since every Master does their own thing, and there's very little thematic overlap - Ramos may use a Showgirl or two, or Kaeris may put down a Moleman, but they're definitely another Master's "Thing".
>>
>>44413147

Leveticus.
>>
>>44413147
For the Arcanists, Ramos can actually play a legitimately powerful list with nothing except his crew box, an Electrical Creation, Johan, and some extra spiders. It won't be the best for Reckoning or some very interaction heavy strategies, but it'll be okay in just about everything.

I would go with NB though if you want to stay with thematic crews. I believe Collodi and the Dreamer can also be built pretty much entirely thematically, and Lilith should have a pretty good list with nothing but Nephilim and Waldgeists. Lynch is pretty good too, but you might hurt a little bit for dedicated scheme runners.

Obviously, if you're putting a self-enforced limit on your hiring pool you'll always be giving up a little bit of power, but those options should sacrifice as little as possible.
>>
>>44413355
Well that depends on if you count Levi's thematic crew as his box, A&, the Desolation Engine, and Horsemen or as every undead or construct model in the game.
>>
>>44413529
Even just doing the first you end up with a pretty powerful crew of facebeaters that are hard to permanently get rid of.
>>
>>44413564
Fair enough. If you allow Lazarus for your second anchor, that's a pretty strong list without even touching his out of faction options.
>>
Marcus is also perfectly able to run beast-only to great success.
>>
>>44413863
I haven't seen much on Marcus. How is he?
>>
>>44413876

He's quite good, if not as obviously powerful as Ramos and Colette. Check out his Trail of the Gods upgrade.
>>
>>44413919
Looks fun. Huh. That might be enough to peak my arcanist interests
>>
>>44414031

He's pretty easy to get into via Neverborn, no less. Swampfiends are all pretty rad Beasts.
>>
Random topic: How often do you use your faction's generic Totem instead of a character's?
>>
>>44416800
Not Gators.
>>
>>44418982
More so recently since trying Cranky.
>>
>>44418982
Generic Totem Tiers
Old Cranky
Puke Worm

Mid
Malifaux Child
Arcane Reservoir
Kamaitachi
Graveyard Spirit

Shit
Govener's Proxy
>>
>>44425694
This list is correct.
>>
What does Tara like when she plays for Ressers? I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>44427824
Bete Noire, Crooligans, Killjoy and her thematic crew, I've found.
>>
>>44427824
>>44427900

I've been told beast-bombing Izamu is amazing aswell.

And as always rotten belles and nurses are epic.
>>
Would you guys say McCabe is better in Guild or TT?
>>
>>44429494
Guild, because Pale Rider/Glowing Sabre Shenanigans.
>>
>>44429951
On the other hand, TT has Sensei Yu *and* reactivating Dawn Serpent shenanigans.
>>
Spent some christmas money on Malifaux, have a Lynch box, Mr. Graves, and a Beckoner box coming in to start off my collection, planning to be ten thunders because I hate my wallet. Planning to pick up Mr. Tannen onc ehe's back in stock on MM or thewarstore, tengu once they come out, stitched together once they come out, and maybe some depleted at some point; after that, planning to pick up a McCabe box because I'd like some wastrels to run with Lynch and McCabe looks pretty cool; then maybe a Brewie box.

Any must-have TT purchases for those three? What about other out of faction purchases I should look at in regards to McCabe and Brewie?
>>
>>44432797

Austringers and Guild Hounds for McCabe.

Nothing for Brewie unless you want the Whiskey Golem.
>>
>>44420613

True. To be honest I forgot they existed, haha.
>>
>>44432213
Not him, but what would you pick up for TT with McCabe? Was thinking of getting his and Shenlong's boxes
>>
>>44434728
(if I want to stay in-faction for now)
>>
>>44434728
Dawn serpent and either katanaka snipers or 10t archers
>>
Man, the Carrion Effigy seems awful in Ressers.
>>
>>44437538
What's he do?
>>
>>44437636

A (1) that strips immunity to Horror duels, Slow, Paralyzed, and Poison from enemies within 5" for one turn. And a (0) for your Leader where at the start of their activation they can discard a card and a corpse marker within 4" to heal 1/2/3.
>>
>>44437736

Doesn't sound half bad with McMourning or Seamus.
>>
>>44437773

Thing is it has to get there - but it's the standard slow, surprisingly fragile Effigy statline.
>>
>>44437538
He's not really awful, just not really good either.
>>
>>44437736
Doesn't sound like he'd help my Collodi fetish much. I like the model though. Aw well
>>
>>44437538
Seems pretty solid to me, fast for a resser and makes things faster in a 6" bubble. Min damage 3 with blasts. Creates block in terrain that turn into two mindless zombies at the end of the turn for a (0) and a 7 of any suit.
Has some good scheme marker shenanigans. He's expensive, but can cover a lot of roles.
>>
>>44437942
Shit ignore this,
Read effigy as emissary.
>>
How good are the Neverborn contents of the starter box, in regular play? Angel Eyes and the Scion seem vaguely outclassed by McTavish and Johan in their niches.
>>
>>44413781
>>44413564
>>44413355

Don't forget Ashes and Dust.

He's Levi's greatest creation after all.
>>
>>44439674
The only starter box model that i could ever see myself playing in a non intro game is Dr Grimwell.

...maybe.

The rest are all outclassed by other models in their respective factions. I'd certainly never pay the mercenary tax for any of them.

(If you were totally against proxying then angel eyes might get a nod, just because McTavish isn't out in plastic yet).
>>
>>44441709
The starter minis biggest weakness seems to be that they were held back in complexity to make learning easier. Which is great, but when thrown into the waters with everything else, that lack of depth hurts them.
>>
>>44437942
The Shards only produce one mindless zombie at the end of turn.
>>
File: GraveRobber.png (2 MB, 1024x1524) Image search: [Google]
GraveRobber.png
2 MB, 1024x1524
So, malifaux general, I have a through the breach question for you.

How would you classify the Graverobber from Darkest Dungeon in Through the Breach? I was messing around with the new chargen method in Into the Steam, where you flip for Allegiance, and got Ressurectionists, so I thought it appropriate. Pic related; talents include mobile, graceful fighting, some amount of talent in poison and drug use, a moneyed background though not a moneyed current existance, and PICKAXE TO THE FACE and throwing daggers as weapons of choice. I was thinking using hand axes and getting the 'all int he wrist' general talent to let her use grace with melee, minimal armor, probably start off as a Scrapper?
>>
What do you guys think of the Crossroads Seven?

Also, do they have any fluff outside of their profile entries?
Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.