[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me /tg/, how to I go from casual Kitchen Magic with a bunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19
File: MtG.jpg (52 KB, 300x416) Image search: [Google]
MtG.jpg
52 KB, 300x416
Tell me /tg/, how to I go from casual Kitchen Magic with a bunch of old cards to playing in one of these formats I've heard you talk about?

I know the basic rules of the game, but I don't know that many terms for common card effects, if that helps at all.
>>
1) decide what format(s) you want to play
2) find what decks are applicable for said formats
3) play them until you get good
>>
>>44374080
But what formats are there, and how are they different?
>>
File: 1444654105777.jpg (542 KB, 1139x1599) Image search: [Google]
1444654105777.jpg
542 KB, 1139x1599
>>44374117
http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats
>>
>>44374124
Christ, that's a lot of Formats. There are really playerbases for all of those?

Which ones are the more popular ones?
>>
File: half-orc and elf.jpg (218 KB, 600x1037) Image search: [Google]
half-orc and elf.jpg
218 KB, 600x1037
>>44374155
Standard and Modern are the two Wizards like to push as they use the most modern of cards and rotate sets (so people need to buy more product).

Legacy/Vintage are basically disowned by Wizards as they can't make any money from them.

Pauper also gets love.
>>
>>44374308
According to what I'm reading, Pauper is only Sanctioned for online play. Do people actually play it IRL?
>>
File: BurnPauperProper 001 (Large).jpg (822 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
BurnPauperProper 001 (Large).jpg
822 KB, 2304x1728
>>44374328
>Do people actually play it IRL?

yes. Pauper's actually really good fun.
>>
Go draft. It's the most balanced competitive format in MtG and you won't need to spend $300+ on a deck.
If you want to have fun and build decks, yet still remain competitive, play Highlander or Commander.
>>
File: 1400701805334.jpg (45 KB, 347x346) Image search: [Google]
1400701805334.jpg
45 KB, 347x346
>>44374041
It all depends on how much money you want to spend, and whether you're okay with losing, a lot. Formats listed in rough ascending order of srs bzns.

Commander - Casual multiplayer format, not intended for "serious" play. Play with friends using whatever random wacky cards you have lying around. Don't play with strangers, that's dumb.

Draft/Sealed - Go to any local game store for prerelease stuff. Costs as much as three boosters and you don't need to bring or prepare anything beforehand.

Standard - Pool of available cards changes every few months, necessitating buying cards from the new set. If you want to win, be prepared to spend $25-$75 every six months or so.

Modern - Play with basically everything printed since 2003, not counting cards reprinted in Commander, Duel Decks, or other supplimentary "reprint" stuff. If you want to be competitive you need to drop a ton of money on nonbasic lands. Barrier to entry is, I dunno, $200+ maybe? But once you have a deck you never have to buy more cards again.

Legacy - Play with every card, except a handful of extremely overpowered banned cards, and a handful of cards that reference old "gambling" mechanics from back in the mid 90's, and cards from "un" sets that have silver borders that are not legal in any format. You're going to spend several hundred dollars on any deck that has a chance to win in this format. Decks that win on turn 1 or even turn 0 are not uncommon. Again, once you have a deck, you're set for life.

Vintage - Play with every card, except old "gambling cards" and cards from "un" sets. In order to have any chance of winning you're going to need one each of the power nine, or at least a black lotus and the five moxen. That's a few thousand bucks right there. But, again, once you have a deck you're set.
>>
File: kek.jpg (9 KB, 201x192) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
9 KB, 201x192
>>44374483
>If you want to have fun and build decks, yet still remain competitive, play Highlander or Commander.
>>
>>44374041
There's a pen mark on your card
>>
>>44374483
>>44374527
Sounds like Draft is the way for me to go.

Might get into Standard or Modern as things progress.

>>44374530
What exactly is Highlander? I don't see it on the site.
>>
>>44374572
There's also a trademark symbol, when it should be a registered trademark.
>>
>>44374583
"Highlander" means you only have one copy of a given card in your deck (not counting basic lands) and is als ocalled Singleton. Because there can be only one.

"Elder Dragon Highlander" also called "EDH" is what the Commander format used to be called. Wizards changed the name to Commander when they started officially supporting it, presumably so they could trademark the name.
>>
>>44374583
>What exactly is Highlander?

hugbox format for people who don't want to git gud.
>>
>>44374583
Highlander is a constructed deck that only use's 1 of any given card. Except basic lands.

Elder dragon highlander (edh/commander) is an extension of that with altered rules. It's a mostly casual format. But tryhard spikes try to get in on it and kill it.
>>
>>44374609
Literally what I just typed out. Faggot

Fuck this slow phone.
>>
>>44374634
Hey don't call me a faggot I only sucked one dick this morning and he didn't even like it.
>>
>>44374338
>not playing needle drop
>>
>>44374620
this
>>
File: kimura.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kimura.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>44374684
>only deals 1
>must play some other burn beforehand

it's not very good.
>>
>>44374625
then stop playing with spikes, we like to win, not have fun like a casual faggot
>>
>>44374620
>>44374716
You kiddos mad that they kicked you out of the group for playing armeggedon?
T.T more.
>>
>>44374735
no, i don't play shitty formats made for casuals.
>>
File: funny funny meng.jpg (26 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
funny funny meng.jpg
26 KB, 720x404
>>44374725
Mfw I'm "casual"
Mfw I still beat out the tryhards with retarded cards like goblin game.
Mfw I get a free year supply of salt.
>>
File: Owl.gif (502 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
Owl.gif
502 KB, 500x362
>>44374735
>plays in a format that bans cards because they hurt peoples feelings
>calls other people kiddo

also lrn 2 spell autismo.
>>
>>44374530
>>44374620
>>44374725
>>44374760

>>44374041
This is what you'll generally see in competitive formats OP. Just a heads up.
>>
>>44374774
and this is what you'll generally see in EDH groups.
>>
>>44374041
What city do you live in, OP?
>>
>>44374788
Says the guy with rainbow Reddit images saved on his device. Lol OK.
>>
>>44374774
>>44374788
...Fuck. That's not good. I'm just gonna hope both sides are exaggerating the negative aspects of their opposition.

>>44374793
In the grand capital of Western Oz.
>>
>>44374859
Well i seem outnumbered in my opinion here. Which actually helps my argument.

It all depends on what you want out of the game. There are shitty players in all formats. But I've ran into far more in competitive formats becuase playing for prizes turns people into cutthroat assholes.

Limited (draft/sealed) is kinda kinda the best of both. It's competitive but your also limited to what you open so you don't get BTFO by some guy who dropped 2 grand on his deck.

Plus opening packs is fun.
>>
>>44374041
Be prepared to spend a lot of money to get into one of these formats. Pauper is always an option but it may be hard to find any tournaments depending on where you live at.
>>
>>44374907
Thanks Anon. I'm gonna head down to my LGS in a few days, according to their schedule they've got a draft going then.
>>
>>44374859
Shit, me too lmao. Where's your LGS?
>>
>>44374527
Black Lotus + 5 Mox gems isn't a "Few Thousand"
>>
>>44374859
EDH is fun with friends, but I have seen a lot of EDH players that are Tumblrfags and shit.

Its hard to call EDH "Competitive", more like who gets to stack the best combo pieces in the shortest amount of time. Goodo thing about EDH is that it lets you experiment with cards that you normally wouldn't run in any other format, but now its turned into an excuse for MaRo to make shitty cards for in sets.
>>
>>44374725
>winning and fun are mutually exclusive
>>
>>44374530
>>44374620
Highlander is a more balance format because when limited to singleton, you can't rely on your playset of $20+ rares. Sorry I don't consider copying professionally made decks for $300 a competitive format, you might as well proxy you fucking causal. Quit playing a pay to win format. The only truly competitive formats of MtG are draft and sealed.
>>
>>44375136
I play EDH exclusively nowadays but you sound like a tremendous faggot.
>>
>>44375136
>Draft/Sealed
>Competitive
>Implying it doesn't have even more luck tied to it than any other format.

EDH is literally more competitive.
>>
Two headed giant, much fun.
>>
>>44375164
>>44375164
Luck has always been part of the game, it's in the design. You begin the game with a randomized deck. Powerful rare cards are guess what, rare in this format. Everyone starts out on equal footing, in draft you're all picking from the same pool of cards. You're tested on YOUR deck construction skills, YOUR understanding of the set your drafting, not relying on professional magic players to construct a deck for you to play with.
>>
>>44374725
>not bullying spikes in your group until they adapt or stop playing with you.
>>
>>44375029
Yes it is. It's around $8000. How is that not a few thousand?
>>
File: America8.jpg (124 KB, 818x890) Image search: [Google]
America8.jpg
124 KB, 818x890
>>44374855
>he thinks images can be uploaded without being on your computer.

are you american by any chance?
>>
>>44374155
>Which ones are the more popular ones?
Depends on what your friends play and what is played in your local area. EDH is bigger than either standard or modern where I live and tends to have a more casual community which is nice.
>>
>>44375414

Because "a few" typically refers to three (but sometimes up to six) of something.
>>
>>44374583
If you want to git gud in draft i suggest going to channel fireball and watch their draft videos.
I would recommend the videos by Luis Scott Vargas / lsv. I find that his videos are more informative as he will go to great length on his draft picks and plays, plus i think he's more entertaining.
>>
>>44375804
If my surname was Nudge, I'd be pretty tired of the bantz too.
>>
just getting my shit wrecked by goblin grenade + goblin arsonist izzet
>>
>>44374041

Can't say what you should do, but this is what I'm doing.

Go look up Mono-Green Stompy for the Modern format. Modern is an eternal format so you don't have to keep replacing your deck like in Standard format. Mono-Green Stompy is made up of many ridiculously cheap and common cards so you can spend about £20 for a decent deck that'll give you a chance against most other Modern decks.

I ended up buying it on Magic Online and am playing free Tournament Practise matches. Deck's pretty simple in that you play efficient creatures, pump them up and kill the opponent before you die, but there's a lot of advantage to be gained by playing well. My plan is to start playing in the smallest prize tournaments once I can win 3 games in a row (may up this to five in the end).

Lots of play in a simple cheap deck to try out a real format, and if your mates want to play kitchen table it's not too obnoxious to break out Stompy there too.
>>
Just go to a bunch of sealed and drafts so you can learn the way tournaments are usually carried out.

After that you'll have a bunch of cards, take all the rares and go to your lgs and trade them all in for a legacy deck.

Then be happy you have the deck you want for one of the best formats tfw no one plays vintage anymore

After about a month be upset that you can't find anyone to play with besides that old guy who works in banking and doesn't stop talking about how his divorce forced him to sell his power 9.
>>
>>44375804
Compute isn't a device used to upload things? Are you confusing device with mobile device?

Nice mlp Reddit pride parade image on your device bro.
>>
>>44374328
Yup, my lgs has Friday pauper. Only real difference is that Hymm is house banned. I'm on either UW rhystic tron or Elves.
>>
>>44376682
Computer*
>>
>>44374527
I can tell you've obviously never played legacy or vintage.

And for the Vintage "YOU NEED POWAH OR YOU LOSE" that's completely wrong. I have a MUD deck, Oath, and a White Trash deck for Vintage. It is not uncommon for me to win with White Trash against all the other fields of decks even if I don't cast any of my Power.
>>
File: laughingdarkseid.jpg (31 KB, 328x398) Image search: [Google]
laughingdarkseid.jpg
31 KB, 328x398
>>44376682
>amerisimple can't even spell computer

no wonder you guys got rekt by rice farmers
>>
>>44374041
play netrunner instead.
>>
>>44374527
What. Even storm decks like ANT or TES typically wait until t2 or t3 to go off.
I'm on Death and Taxes, and the most unfair deck normally played at my shop is Aluren.

The best deck in the format is arguably miracles,a super hard control deck, and a lot of the tier 1 decks are mostly fair.
>>
File: Batmanispleased.jpg (44 KB, 262x489) Image search: [Google]
Batmanispleased.jpg
44 KB, 262x489
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8pmYFbtakM

>that feeling when you kill them with their own card
>>
>>44376596
Stompy is so damn fun, youre gonna need 2 main deck spellskites tho
>>44376709
Its amazing how White Trash wrecks most vintage decks. Lotus and Pearl help you play multiple things turn one, but if you just have 2 chrome mox's you should be fine

You guys keep being awesome
>>
>>44376842
Well in my White Trash I have Mox Pearl, Black Lotus, Mana Crypt, and Lotus Petal plus 3 Simian Spirit Guide. So it's pretty easy to cast things on turn one.
>>
>>44376596
I know what you meant, but the word you should use for Modern is "non-rotating," not "eternal."
>>
>>44376718
I'm not American.
Even if I was, typos happen. You must be really upset at my comment earlier. I'm sorry you were so offended by it. But that's online for you. If you can't handle it, you should log off for a while.
>>
File: america17.jpg (105 KB, 634x735) Image search: [Google]
america17.jpg
105 KB, 634x735
>>44377055
maybe you should stop being so upset about a cake LOL
>>
>>44378257
>LOL

Gb2facebook
>>
File: americans.jpg (786 KB, 1894x1339) Image search: [Google]
americans.jpg
786 KB, 1894x1339
>>44378354
>>44378385
>literal so fat he takes up two posts

EL
OH
EL
>>
>>44376842

They cost more than my goddamn deck, I'm gonna leave them a few months till I'm capable of managing the cards I do have semi-competently. Or until Modern Flashbacks when the digital prices should fall hopefully. I've even left out the Scavenging Oozes because of cost and don't plan to get the Dismembers for a while either.

>>44376976

Thanks for the correction.
>>
>>44374725
>fun is for casuals and faggots
/v/ please go
>>
Is this the casual thread? I could use a recommendation or two. I'm building a Duel Decks-like product for a couple friends who are also dating each other as part of a Secret Santa thing. Any ideas for a fun theme with fun play styles?

I'm on a budget and both my friends are fairly casual and prefer non-black decks which avoid the "feel bads". It should have a mana curve and play well, though. A couple ideas I've come up with so far:
>Birds vs Worms (wurms?)
>Knights vs Princesses
>Finks vs Insects
>Boros DEA vs Drug Dealers
>Wizards vs Frogs
>>
>>44382179
The Duel Deck Anthology came to mind. I might look to that for some inspiration. I know half of it are decks centered around planeswalkers, which would probably go over well. The others would probably go over well- Elves versus Goblins and Angels versus Demons. Despite your aversion to black, I think something like Angels versus Demons would be a blast for new players- they tend to have some nice, beefy monsters and really showcase the "good versus evil" theme, which a lot of people enjoy.

If all else fails, just take a look at duel decks throughout the years- I'm sure they're all archived on Wizards somewhere.
>>
File: 1341879637991.jpg (12 KB, 385x278) Image search: [Google]
1341879637991.jpg
12 KB, 385x278
>>44378257
>tfw I'm Canadian
>tfw you've lost the argument by defeating yourself.
>tfw I make you my bitch.
>>
File: AinsleyMelon.jpg (72 KB, 230x238) Image search: [Google]
AinsleyMelon.jpg
72 KB, 230x238
>>44384222
>mfw you're a chink
>>
>>44374041
Buy a commander precon that's in a color or colors you like. Worst case scenario you hate commander and want to move on to a less casual format.
>>
>>44374859
Both are correct, as far as the worst kinds of players in both groups go.

The worst competitive players (from my experiences with Modern) can be outright stressful to play against, and hostile outside of games.
They'll call judge on you at every possible chance hoping to get a free win, and anything say or do will be used against you in order to get you that DQ.
They will only run top tier decks, play exclusively to win, outright scorn anyone acting friendly during game, and are generally dickholes to be around, just polite enough not to get kicked out themselves.

The worst casual players (from my experiences with EDH) can be just as bad.
They'll only run incredibly shitty decks and still expect to win.
They'll whine and throw tantrums if you run anything they consider "mean", from land destruction to counterspells to even indestructible sometimes.
They'll whine if you attack them before turn 4, or if your deck is stronger than theirs in any way.
They'll be horrible at the game in general, taking slow turns and playing without any thought into it.
They'll be as ungraceful in defeat as they're prideful in victory.

While most people are neither of those extremes, yet really obnoxious players are way more common than they oughta be.
If possible, stick to playing with friends that you know aren't dickheads.
If you want to go competitive scout out your local scene before you buy into anything.
Show up to a tournament night with a deck that is legal for the format even if it's outright shit.
You'll lose, but you'll get to see how people react to someone new trying to get in.
>>
>>44386554
First I was American. Now I'm a chink?
That's some pretty top level trolling there mouthbreather.
>>
>>44374155
Standard and Modern are probably the most popular constructed formats, but then you also have limited formats like booster draft and sealed. There are also more casual formats like EDH, which has more in common with kitchen table Magic than Standard or Modern.

Booster draft is my personal favourite sactioned format, mainly because playing the same deck for months on end is a miserable experience.
>>
>>44387587

Listen to this anon.
>>
>>44374041

Start playing Booster Draft, build up your card pool and then you can have a card pool to play Standard while also building up your card pool for Modern.

If I was you i'd buy the fetch lands from Khans block. Makes it easier to build decks in Modern.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.