[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Kobold Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1448076413025.jpg (169 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1448076413025.jpg
169 KB, 1000x800
>All official WotC content
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What've you done with kobolds lately, /5eg/?
>>
>>44349534
>When you use the Attack action and attack with a onehanded weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow you are holding.
Nothing stopping you from using a Rapier, or any other non-twohanded weapon. The two weapon fighting rules for using light weapons aren't related in this case.
>>
>>44349662
I introduced the way of four elements monk style into my pre-5E campaign setting with a kobold monk who has become the master of the style who teaches others his philosophy. He gives out shades instead of belts.
>>
People often min-max into optimal efficiency, so here's a thought:

How would you max-min to make the least efficient character possible?
>>
>>44349662
I had them float down a treacherous river by using their interlocked bodies to create a raft so that they could carry their dragon egg to safety. This is after the PCs flooded the kobolds' lair. Their mission was to retrieve the dragon egg.

Needless to say the kobolds escaped. At least for now.
>>
>>44349738
Thank you!
>>
>>44349747
Make a teifling monk.
>>
>>44349662
>What've you done with kobolds lately, /5eg/?
Not enough, honostly. Haven't even used them in 5th edition. One of my favourite races, though. Would like to play them again. Hoping WotC drops a book with them stated as PCs.

>>44349768
Eh, no problem.
>>
>>44349747
Point buy, 12 12 13 13 13 12
Normal human to 13 13 14 14 14 13

Now take 1 level of each class, starting with ranger.
>>
>>44349747
I would say by taking 13 in every attribute and multiclassing level 1 in every class, but you'd still be better than Warlocks.
>>
File: giphy.gif (978 KB, 230x129) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
978 KB, 230x129
What's aare some fun but not too powerful magic weapons I can give to a lv 1 pc in a one shot i'll be running shortly. Preferably a bit more interactive than just +1. I was thinking it'll let them cast something like shield, but any cool ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>44349662
I played in a campaign where someone was playing a Kobold Rogue. He ended up being the smartest member in the party.
>>
>>44349747
8, 8, 8 15, 15, 15
Tiefling barbarian
>>
>>44349662
>What've you done with kobolds lately, /5eg/?
Reminder that koboldanon no doubt jacks off to pictures of toddlers, judging by his art.
>>
So fellas, got an Elemental Monk in my gaming group. Been thinking about what to do to help his fare (only low level right now so no-one is really breaking away from anyone else damage-wise yet) and have thought it might be nice to, as fluff permits, give him more cool elemental powers to spend Ki on. Maybe even go for an oriental 5 elements type business.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what'd be balanced or sane? I assume the Elemental Monk has been 'corrected' here before, yes?
>>
So this is some backstory to my world. Done in about 10 minutes.

So the Tiefling Fiendlord Dragmire died about 10000 years ago. His spirit torn from his body, killing the flesh, and the spirit sent to the Feywild. His Black Dragon girlfriend / mount ran and hid in the feywild, transforming herself into a beautiful elven looking lady and quickly rose up the ranks of the heirarchy and stayed in the Feywild for so long she became a fey for realsies. The land of Arkadia, the Fiendlords home is quickly taken over by the Elysians and eventually a new human ruler is installed and his line has ruled since. About 20 years ago, the acolytes of the Fiendlord recovered the mummified remains of Dragmire and through a dark ritual brought some of his essence back into the body making the first lich. Using spells and sacrifices he keeps himself looking mortal enough and became the advisor to the current ruler of Arkadia. He's corrupting him and having his acolytes goad the hobgoblin tribes into attacking his homeland and gathering support to become a true threat to the countryside. The Fey Dragon is pursuing means to return his spirit from the Shadowfell into the mortal realm. The Sunfire Knights of the Elysian Empire have mobilized their force against the goblin tribes and after enough bloodshed occurs the Fiendlord will rise again and have an army of the fallen to bring forth destruction against those who would stand in his way.
>>
>>44349924
One of the easiest tweaks I've seen and enjoyed at my table was to allow element monks spell points from the DMG equal to what an arcane trickster or eldritch knight would have to spend on their elemental disciplines only. They restore just like spell points would for those classes. They still have their ki points too.
>>
>>44349924
Fist of unbroken air is bonus action as it was water whip before errata.
Water whip is bonus action as it was before errata.
Stoneskin is 11th level and costs 1 ki point less.
Fire snake fangs damage type and range lasts 1 minute. You still need to spend extra ki to improve the damage.
>>
>>44349969

DMG?
>>
>>44349988
Dungeon Master's Guide
>>
>>44349662
Forgotten they exist honestly.

I've been using goblins, orcs, sahaguin, kuo-toa, modrons, lemures, and spiders as my fodder.
>>
I want to suck a wizard's dick.
>>
For Roll20, is the D&D 5E Shaped Character Sheet better than the Default 5E Sheet?
>>
File: 1439862703805.jpg (107 KB, 700x966) Image search: [Google]
1439862703805.jpg
107 KB, 700x966
So, because I'm a terrible, terrible person who hates fun and have been erstwhile still writing up that semi-historical arms & armor crap, I've been thinking about bows.

Depending on the poundage, the use of bows historically was often a matter of strength and repetition. Now, rather than going back to 3.x's bow rating system, how would /5eg/ feel about giving characters the option to use Str instead of Dex for ranged damage using bows?

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest the alternative option (giving Finesse to a wider range of melee weapons, even though most historical melee weapons were much lighter and smaller than what they're represented with in the PHB) due to the greater potential for SAD with Dex.

But Str for damage with Bows doesn't seem to be that disrupting, allowing for str melee combatants to do something else once in a while even if they're not picking up feats or fighting styles for it.
>>
>tfw a Slytherin girl will never shoot you with a mind control spell and then use you as a flesh toilet while laughing at you
>why even live
>>
>>44349969

Hmm, seems like a sensible thing to do.

>>44349983

This sounds nice as well, though this seems more for later levels.
>>
>>44349983
An alternative I like for water whip and fist of unbroken air is to let the monk replace one of his attacks in an attack action with either of them. Then they can still flurry afterward, and if they're really willing to nova, they can spend the ki to convert both their attacks at level 6 and beyond.
>>
>>44350053
It's updated more often and has some more advanced features, but they're both fine.

The normal one hasn't been updated for like a billion years.
>>
How good is the 5e DM screen? If it's not very good, has anyone made inserts for a custom one?
>>
>>44349983
>wot4e monk gets stoneskin at 17th level
>everymonk gets stoneskin dialed to 11 at 18th level
Who did this?
>>
>>44350109
>flesh toilet
This is not the specific form of humiliation that is my magical realm.

Also, not all that directly related to 5e unless you specify which mind control spell.

Which mind control spell?

Also also, are there sorcerers in Harry Potter, or just wizards (and "witches" who still fit the wizard class)?
>>
>>44350025
Good for you
>>
>>44350057
It makes sense realistically, but mechanically it extends the fighter's repertoire when they're designed to be bullet sponges and mook crunchers. If you like the idea then go right ahead, but I'm not using it in my game.
>>
>>44349768

Just remember that crossbows have loading property, and as expanded by various tweets from the designers you'd need a free hand to reload.

So you'd fire once, then not be able to reload with your rapier drawn. Great for a "running into a fight" moment, then just goes back to you slapping people with your rapier.
>>
>>44350149
It's pretty laughable. Whereas the 4e screen was mostly about crunch and DCs for things like breaking down doors or climbing walls, the 5e screen is focused on story telling and role playing. Don't know where to drive the narrative? Roll a d20 and pick a number from this chart of random shit that probably has nothing to do with your campaign, but your players will think it was planned or clever, or part of the weave.
>>
>>44350422
But with Crossbow expert you ignore the loading quality on crossbows.
>>
>>44350057

>allowing for str melee combatants to do something else once in a while

They CAN get STR to attack and damage with thrown melee weapons like handaxes and javelins. They don't have anything with much range, but that's the tradeoff for having much better damage on their primary weapons (~1d12/2d6 vs 1d8 for longbows).
>>
>>44350466

To wit:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
>>
>>44350260

Harry Potter wizards (which includes witches) are a cross between D&D's wizard and sorcerer. You have to be born with the innate magical power, as Sorcerers are, and they often manifest uncontrolled magical effects in puberty, like sorcerers. Yet, they learn spells by study, memorization, and practice, more like D&D wizards.
>>
>>44350505
>but that's the tradeoff for having much better damage on their primary weapons
But ranged characters have more survivability because they don't need to be on melee, what's the tradeoff of that?
>>
>>44350567

As a DM, I feel pretty okay with ignoring that. Just do as that Female Link does in Hyrule Warriors and have some pull on a boot or something.
>>
>>44350057

I'm doing the same thing, but also making guns available for dex users to even it out.
>>
>>44350567
Thanks for the clarification!
>>
>>44350584
And don't forget all the flesh toilet stuff. IMO the best part of Harry Potter!
>>
>>44350585

Um, the tradeoff is that it's safer to be at range, but melee can do more damage?
>>
>>44350445
I'm good at story stuff and would much rather have random encounter charts, DCs for things, a reminder of grappling rules, and so on.

Are there any PDFs with inserts to kind of make my own DM screen?
>>
File: Lorica squamata.jpg (643 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Lorica squamata.jpg
643 KB, 1600x1200
>>44350505
Right, so the idea is that bows would use Dex for att, as normal, but with the option for Dex or Str for dmg. This would indeed increase the repertoire of the Fighter and Barbarian, in particular, but I'm wondering if the increase in range would be particularly disruptive to mechanics in general.
>>
How do you guys feel about running/playing one shots?
>>
I have a construct race in my setting which supplants gnomes and half-orcs (one artifice subrace, one soldier subrace). I'm considering a category of magic items that act as replacement limbs for them, requiring attunement by this race to use. They would be thematically similar to warforged wand sheaths and armbows.

One of the racial features of the soldier subrace is the ability to meld a weapon into their arm, which restricts the use of said arm but grants them a 50% increase in proficiency bonus when attacking with that weapon. With that in mind, I am trying to keep the arm modifications fairly minor so as not to make them too OP: for example, a Loader Arm (rare) removes the loading property from any ranged weapon melded with it.

Which brings me to my question: would removing the TWO HANDED property from a melded weapon be too powerful an effect? My initial intent would be to apply this to ranged weapons (crossbows), but I suppose a melee version could be in the cards.
>>
>>44351107
> mixing and matching ability scores for a single action
This happens nowhere else in 5e. Please consider the existing design philosophy before making mechanical changes.

I understand that the image of the waifish elf archer is not historically accurate, but ranged weapon attacks without a thrown weapon use Dex. The thematics assume that the bow is of a draw weight usable by the wielder, and that damage is a factor of aim more than anything else.
>>
>>44351270

I mean, technically, it's not overpowered, because it still wouldn't allow shenanigans like using GWM and still having a shield.

But it WOULD allow you to do 2d6 damage and still use a shield. And considering that stats don't vary that much between races (since you cap out at 20, it's all of 4 levels until you catch up to an "optimal" race), you're giving this race +2.5 damage that no other race can achieve. Same with the loading property - nobody else can do that without taking a feat. Remember, the objective is to avoid a situation where a player says "Is there any reason NOT to take this race?"

Let them graft a versatile weapon to one hand like a Longsword. They can still use their free hand to two-hand it if they want; that's the point of being Versatile.
>>
>>44351372
>Please consider the existing design philosophy before making mechanical changes.
Considered, surely. I'd also considered the historical prerogative of giving longswords Finesse and making greatswords pole weapons (since that was definitively a thing), but that's far more mechanically disruptive.

>damage is a factor of aim more than anything else
I suppose that's acceptable, though in such a case I would consider the hypothetical of a wielder matched to his bow's draw weight not compatible with a single damage rating for all longbows, for example.

I do find it problematic that the boundaries of a system have to be respected to such a degree, however. Do we ignore Heavy Armor Mastery and the concept of damage reduction because it appears only once in the PHB and no where else? I don't see how having unique mechanics for certain situations is problematic unless perhaps they become overly difficult for the players to remember.
>>
>>44351107

>would the increase in range be disruptive

Not really. It's just an increase in how far away they can try to attack.

Note that your fighters and paladins in particular are likely to have dumped their dex - they don't need it to attack at range, and heavy armor lets them ignore dex penalties to AC. So while allowing them to use STR to damage is nice, they still may not have much incentive to use it. The only class that really benefits significantly is barbarians, who are likely to have a dex bonus of some kind.
>>
>>44351747
Thanks for the math.

Again, said arm mods would be treated as magic items; there would be no reason for a given player to assume they would get any one of these at character creation. Still, 2d6 one-handed damage, with a shield, AND bonus to proficiency for being melded is extraordinarily powerful, and I don't really expect "only good at combat" to be a strong roleplaying deterrent.

I might still test a ranged-only version of it.
>>
>>44351942

"only good at combat" has never deterred anyone, ever.

Ranged might be fine, since it's only a +1 damage bonus over using a comparable bow, but I wouldn't give extra proficiency bonuses. Even a +1 to attack is quite powerful in 5e.
>>
>>44351270
Maybe let them use the higher dmg dice for versatile weapons even with 1 hand. Idk but grafting a greatsword to your arm just seems silly.
>>
File: 1450120062098.jpg (108 KB, 680x1084) Image search: [Google]
1450120062098.jpg
108 KB, 680x1084
>>44351813
>they still may not have much incentive to use it
That was sort of the idea. It wouldn't make the melee fighter outshine ranged-focused fighter, but gives them another option if a particular situation (say, a fight between two ships that is out of range for them to rappel across to) forces them to use a ranged weapon until they can come up with some other option.
>>
>>44349847
I've actually found out recently that warlocks are not that bad. In fact if you play them right they are quite effective, but they are much more utility based than other casters.
>>
File: Solarian_Winter.jpg (218 KB, 785x1017) Image search: [Google]
Solarian_Winter.jpg
218 KB, 785x1017
What kinds of powerful/unique/useful loot can I give players that isn't magical? Magic in my campaign is uncommon, and is also powerful. So, most of their early loot is going to be non-magical. However, I don't want to shaft them with some basic ancient tomes and rusted gauntlets. Any ideas?
>>
>>44349858
my personal favorite low rarity magic items are the alchemist's jug and something from HotDQ (I forget the name, but it basically is a tattoo that makes your fists do 1D4 damage, give them +1 damage and makes them magic. It sounds strong but its equivalent to a +1 dagger and much more flavorful.)

If you want something thats not in a book I could think of something.
>>
>>44352265
You could go the route of having ancient alchemical shit.

Ancient concoctions that, when thrown, explode, like grenades or alchemist's fire but more powerful.

Oils that temporarily coat a weapon in fire, or lightning, or biting cold.

Nonmagical but potent potions that temporarily make a person incredibly strong or fast.
>>
So via multiclassing, feats and all additional content excluding unearthed arcana, just how many Eldritch Blasts can a PC feasibly cast in one turn?
>>
>>44352344
I could have them find/craft oils like in the Witcher. Bonuses to damage against certain enemies, temporary fire damage because it's flammable... thanks for the idea.
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.png (894 KB, 1432x948) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.png
894 KB, 1432x948
I posted this almost a year ago, and I thought the issue was put to bed back then, but one of my players is yet again trying to play as his self-insert vampire character.

Just read his backstory.
>>
>>44352265
Companions. Political or social connections. Land, businesses, or other property relevant to their interests (a stage/tavern for a bard, or small church or shrine for a cleric), or an abandoned and restorable keep, castle, fort, or dungeon. Access to a trade route or shares in a caravan. Shipments of trade goods like spices and art. Maybe a small amount of pseudo or semi magical material, like mithril. That might even become a quest hook when they need to seek someone responsible enough to use it or willing and skilled enough to smith it for them.
>>
File: 41354352345.jpg (9 KB, 253x235) Image search: [Google]
41354352345.jpg
9 KB, 253x235
>>44352424
>tragedy of course had to veer it's ugly head
>>
>>44352424
INSERT SELF ASSERTION FETISH HERE
>>
>>44352371
Two casts for a total of 8 bolts via sorclock with quickened metamagic. War Caster might let you get another 4 bolts in the round, but that's iffy due to War Caster's "it can only target that creature" wording. Also iffy is maybe stacking two fighter levels to action surge for another 4 bolts, but that depends on how you interpret the rules for spells cast as a bonus action.
>>
>>44352265
This. >>44352344
3.x had Conan d20 and aside from the usual issues with 3.x and the thematically appropriate but perhaps problematic (depending on group) racial mechanics, it had an absolutely fantastic way of handling a low-magic setting.

Instead of having fireballs, for instance, magic (which was costly to perform and difficult to recoup and manage) could push some glass balls filled with alchemists fire.

Now, to compensate for fewer magic items Conan d20 went two routes: much more emphasis on melee combat, and, for items, tons of drugs and alchemical items.
>>
>>44352463
Well Spells cast as a bonus action can only be cantrips, which is what EB is

I'm curious because me and some friends wanna try to break the game as much as possible and I was thinking 'Machine Gun Warlock'
>>
>>44352265
it ultimately depends on your party and what places your party is exploring. A couple of ideas I can think of is monk arm and leg wraps that improve the AC of unarmed PCs by +1, a helmet with a lantern built into it, A shortsword that can be split into two swords as part of an attack action so they can draw both of their swords in 1 turn, and you could always throw in scrolls and wizard tomes for those with wizard or ritual books.
>>
>>44352508
Well, if you want to actually break the game, you make a GWM/GWF Battle Master and nova for 250 or so damage.

Alternatively: Paladin 5 tied in with a bunch of bard or sorcerer levels and smite all day long.
>>
>>44352599
Sorcerer would work better since they can convert their sorc points into more spell slots for more smites.
>>
>>44352463
Get a 2 level fighter dip in there for an action surge to get 12 bolts once per short rest.
>>
>>44352774
Get a two-level rogue dip and get expertise in perception to make up for your poor wis score.

Or Investigation if your DM applies that more to reading things carefully.
>>
>>44352811
There's nothing iffy about it, action surge works that way.
>>
>>44352424
It's like Dio without the good parts and some extra shitty ones
>>
Is it just me or does Forbidance seem like an OP spell if used properly. It can cover an entire dungeon without problem, severely hurts all undead, elementals, fey, and fiends every turn and lasts all day. Even better is it's a ritual so you can spend 20 minutes casting it again if it is dispelled somehow. Also it prevents any form of dimensional teleportation into the area so demons and devils can't summon more minions unless they dispel the spell first. I plan on picking it up as soon as I can to basically become a battlefield controller.
>>
>>44349858
Making some shit up.

Sling/Crossbow that casts Light on each bullet/bolt, creating a streak of light as it sails through the air. Whatever is hit by the bullet/bolt has the Light transfer to them until you launch another.

Dagger that, upon landing a critical hit or a sneak attack, allows the wielder to control its target to the same extent and limits as the Command spell. The victim will ignore the damage it just suffered and act upon the Command word the wielder speaks. This effect will work on the living creature once and only once for its entire life.

Sword with a lens in the pommel that when peered through, gives the user a narrow tunnel-visioned version of Detect Magic, allowing them to see faint auras coming off of anything magical in the 5ft space in immediately in front of them.

Mage's Staff that can also be used as a quarterstaff. Depending on which end of the staff the user strikes his foe with, it deals either +1 Fire or +1 Cold damage. Non-combat, the fire end of the staff can conjure a small flame to cast a dim light.

Throwing Dart that will seek out the user's target with great precision, suffering no disadvantage if the target is partially behind cover. The user can use his bonus action in the same turn or the next to summon the dart back to his hand.
>>
>>44353761
It's hardly a battlefield control spell, since you need the time and resources to set it up. It's more often going to be a utility spell for securing your party's headquarters.
>>
Do you get to move forward while high-jumping? or is it just up and down?
>>
>>44353873
That is definitely it's intended use but you could also use it when you first enter a dungeon and turn the whole dungeon into anti undead and elemental and fiend territory. It covers 40000 Sq. feet of ground after all and goes 30 feet up.it may not cover multiple floors but one large floor can get wrecked.
>>
>>44354078
Hadn't thought of that. Point taken.
>>
>>44354091
Indeed.

You see i'm a tomelock in OotA and I looked up all the rituals I could take and found this gem. Now I can't wait to get my hands on it to completely destroy every demon and undead that opposes me.
>>
>>44354007

Technically you only jump up without rolling. If you're trying to cover some distance and also high jump, that's what Athletics checks are for.
>>
>>44354510
>posting shitty /v/ copypasta that much of /tg/ probably agrees with
Here's your (You).
>>
File: Scout_taunting_with_the_Bat_TF2.png (414 KB, 1059x1082) Image search: [Google]
Scout_taunting_with_the_Bat_TF2.png
414 KB, 1059x1082
What class is the MOST like Scout?

I was thinking Monk personally. Focuses on dexterity and speed while also required to face his enemies up close with clever foot work instead of stealth like the Spy.

He also has those boxing/muay thai handwraps too.
>>
>>44354603
Rogue, at least 2 levels, then maybe the rest in monk.
>>
>>44354590
I mean... it's not wrong...

Nerds on here (and on /v/) keep getting mad that their faggy interests are becoming more mainstream which is pretty much exactly what everyone in their niche hobby wanted. They also conveniently forget how shitty devs were before gaymun took off (both tabletop and video games) because nostalgia goggles.

I don't mind most SJW stuff as a lot of it is pretty common sense and innocous at worst. Some of the whackier stuff I don't agree with but then again neither do most so-called "SJW"s.
>>
I have a level 2 bard and would like to dip warlock for 3 levels at some point. When should I do it?
>>
>>44354693
I didn't say it was wrong. It's just stupid bait copypasta.

I agree with it, at least for the most part. That doesn't mean it should be copy/pasted verbatim all over /tg/ in response to posts that have nothing to do with what it's criticizing.
>>
>>44354729
Fair enough
>>
>>44354702
After 6th level. That way you've got a bunch of good front-loaded stuff before branching out.
>>
>>44354510
>>44354693
>>44354729

Some people like to say words like faggot and nigger and only accept 2 genders. Fuck off and start your own games if you don't like it.
>>
>>44354590
>>44354693
>>44354729
>>44355115
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/filename/ningyo%20hime.jpg
Don't reply
>>
>>44355115
Why should they/we when DnD and tabletop is already changing on its own?
>>
File: baitt.png (181 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
baitt.png
181 KB, 625x626
>>44355115
>>
>>44355115
There are only two genders.
>>
player wants to make a blind samurai with ki point utilization.
Any tips?
>>
>>44355440

druid so he can transform into something that has functioning eyes
>>
>>44355226
No there are only two biological sexes.

Gender roles are usually linked to basic prehistoric biological advantages that male and female hominids possesed but that is pretty irrelevant and that shit fluctuates all the time, you know, like whats considered to be masculine or feminine. It wasn't too long ago that raping your male slaves as a Roman was considered to be an honourable display of virility just so long as you yourself weren't being sodomized. Now we associate general homosexuality as being effeminate behaviour by men, Hellenistic cultures actually found some forms of it to be more honourable than heterosexual behaviour. Especially if that heterosexual behaviour involved sodomy or performing/receiving oral sex.

Also, a Nero's second (?) wife was initially a man but was castrated on Nero's orders and forced to live as a woman. She was actually considered to be pretty desirable and when the Praetorian fucked Nero's shit up, one of them even took her as his wife iirc.

tl;dr My point is all this trans, gay, gender shit has been going forever and to say otherwise is cultural revisionist shit. Many (but not all) Greeks were gay as all fuck or at least held it to be an admirable facet of their cultural and though the Romans were markedly less fond of homosexuality there is still a lot of evidence that depending on the period they may have thought fondly of it and even celebrated it.
>>
>>44355440
If you're the DM and thus have full control over the rules:

- Make him play a monk with a permanent blinded condition.
- Give him sound-based blindsight out to 10 feet. This way he has basically no range but is just as good up-close (more or less like a normal monk). If he does perception checks to notice anything, it'll be entirely sound-based, so adjust difficulties for that accordingly.
- Give him a katana statted as a scimitar or longsword, let me him be proficient with it in place of one of his background tool proficiencies/languages and treat is as a monk weapon.
- Let him flurry of blows and replace his bonus action unarmed strike with the katana but it has to use his martial arts damage die.
>>
>>44349747
Easy.

1. Convince DM to roll for stats
2. Convince DM to let you roll 1d20 down the line in order
3. Put 1 in your Dexterity
4. Make a bare-handed rogue thief.
>>
>>44355579

>only two biological sexes

check your privilege, shitlord. intersex people don't belong to your patriarchal norms of two sexes. blocked.
>>
File: tE1agIJ(1).png (112 KB, 232x262) Image search: [Google]
tE1agIJ(1).png
112 KB, 232x262
>get accepted to a new campaign on Roll20
>other accepted player immediately starts bitching that goliaths aren't listed on the playable race
>DM says he'll look to see if they fit in the setting fluff (Eberron, which they do with the 4e fluff)
>player then replies by bitching about the features of the EEPC goliath race that he wanted to play in the first place

Welp. I was looking forward to playing in an Eberron campaign for the first time but I can see this crashing and burning real quick-like.
>>
>>44355682

Maybe talk to the other players and/or GM. If you can agree that he is the one dragging the game down, you could still have your Eberron.
>>
>>44355659
I know this is a le epic troll but fuck it I'll bite...

Yeah intersex shit is complicated but generally speaking there are two biological sexes. Intersex people almost never posses functioning genitalia so to describe them as a third biological sex is somewhat disingenuous. I mean, they can't help that kind of chromosomal abnormality though so in the same fashion I wouldn't try to put down a retarded kid for being retarded I'm not going to put down an intersex person for exhibiting blurred dimorphic characteristics. I imagine that sucks pretty hard desu
>>
Some of the WotC pregen characters in the OP start with Studded Leather Armor. It's not on any of the starting equipment lists however. I want to play a fighter archer who starts with studded leather, a longbow and arrows, two shortswords and a dagger. How do you determine what value equipment you can start with?
>>
>>44355771

You can either take a flat amount of money, or you can take the starting package - which gives you some gear from your class, and then some from your background.

You, presumably, can trade down an item if it's less expensive than one you're assigned by your package.
>>
>>44355771
Rolling for starting wealth is on page 143, but you lose stuff from both your background and class.

If you want to not fuck yourself over, talk to your DM.
>>
>>44355579
You just described everything in terms of being either masculine or effeminate. You have done nothing to refute my point of there being only two genders.
>>
Sooo there's only two genders, male and female. But you can be an effeminate man or a masculine female. Seems odd to go from one to the other though, what happened to being Born This Way? Best a man can hope for is to become a lantern-jawed parody of a woman, even with modern science.
>>
>>44355853
Huh, I guess I did, didn't I?

The point I was trying to make was that "gender" is loaded as fuck because whats considered to be masculine could be considered to be feminine in another culture

A better dynamic I suppose would be Dominant/Submissive which is how the Romans approaches sexuality. Dominant was /usually/ exclusive to men as far as I am aware and what was considered to be submissive extended to slaves ams freeborn males (infamia) who belonged to the class not afforded masculine protection like male prostitutes, entertainers, theatre people etc etc so it was accepted to do non-penatrative gay stuff to them

But yeah I suppose your right that it usually plays out in a dynamic. I think some United States natives had like a weird class of men who were considered to weak to fight or hunt and were relegated to being like nannies and equivalent of housekeepers or something.

I know in India there were some spiritual cults comprimsed of biological males who would castrate themselves and live as eunnuchs dressed in women's clothing but I suppose that falls into the two gender paradigm.

Fuck it point still stands, gender is a pretty fluid thing
>>
>>44355960
I mean who cares though? I never understood /pol/'s hard on for gender politics, especially transgender people.

It's another person's body and if they arent raping, hurting/killing someone else, killing/hurting thesmelvss then who cares? Gender dysphoria is pretty fucking hardcore and I feel pretty bad for a lot of the people who have it. I'm not going to be a massive pussy and pick on somebody clearly suffering over things they can't help, y'know? That's my opinion on it all though
>>
>>44356021
I do not deny that it is fluid, a female could act masculine one day and feminine the next. But they either act as one or the other, even if it is day to day or second to second, there are only two genders.
>>
>>44356072
But they are fags and they're shit's all mixed up.
>>
>>44356110
Eh, I'm not autistic enough to care about the perceived practicality of the innoucous things that other adults do
>>
>>44356140
>perceived practicality of the innoucous things
you are a fag too
>>
>>44354078
>20 minute casting time
>That's at least 4 random encounter checks.

That's my answer to it. But if you could get it off despite that, I'd let you have it.
>>
>>44356177
Nah that aint bro

all chicks no dicks, know what I'm sayin?
>>
>>44356197
I mean you are a fag because of the way you talk.
>>
>>44356193
Quite true but our group usually gets lucky with things like that. Until recently our random encounter rolls for underdark traveling have been going swimingly, until Turvy got smashed to death by a rock octopus last session. (I forget the actual creature name). Plus, if needed, forcecage is a very handy spell to keep my enemies away from me.
>>
>>44356342
>got smashed to death by a rock octopus last session. (I forget the actual creature name)
It's literally a rock octopus.

It's an octopus stat block given a climb speed with its swim speed and inability to breathe air removed.
>>
>>44356342
It's a ro-
>>44356368

Thank you auto-update.

But yeah, Random Encounter charts is generally how I resolve the "if they have enough time, they can pull off any bullshit they want" problem. Especially because I generally build encounter charts to include things WELL above their levels.
>>
>>44355960
Idk some men are born very feminine and with spells like disguise self and disguise kits I'm willing to bet some femboy with enough Cha could become a passable female.

On a related note, outside of gender identity reasons and other sexual reasons, what reasons do players have for playing characters of the opposite gender? I have a player in my OotA group who is a male, both by birth and by identity, who is playing a female cleric. I don't judge him for it by any means but we have become good friends in game and out of game and it still stumps me why he chose to play a female character.
>>
>>44356368
>>44356376
Well good to know. I did not know something like that existed.

And yeah OotA is suppose to have the same thing but outside of a demon we fought at Lvl 2 who was a CR 5 we have not bumped into anything that would be beyond our capability to fight. Though truth be told we only beat that thing because Topsy and Turvy went full feral were-rat destruction on it and the paladin smited it with all of his spell slots.
>>
>>44356444
Generally, I roll up random encounters well before I play. Though I never got to use it because sadly the game store I was running at closed as WELL as my schedule completely changed, I rolled up an encounter in OotA that would have surely killed the entire party.

A hill giant that had the flaw "I've found that I really enjoy killing!"
>>
>>44356485
What level was the party? if it was 2 they might die, mostly depends on how the NPCs do, 3 or higher though there would be a sufficient chance they could succeed, especially with the NPCs.

The NPC allies you get in the beginning of OotA are mostly very OP. Topsy and Turvy are were-rats so they ignore non-magical physical damage, The orc and Derindel make great early level meat shields, and Eldath has multi attack and is also a good meat shield. The only true struggle is keeping them alive after you get so far.
>>
>>44356575
They were level 2.

I play on hard mode. All of them are liabilities. Topsy and Turvy lose control in were-mode. Derendil will attack the nearest living thing unless calmed down. Ront just wants to fuck off, and Eldeth is likely to sacrifice herself. Welcome to the underdark, motherfucker.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEEEEE.gif (1 MB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEEEEE.gif
1 MB, 680x680
>>44355682
>one of the people who asked and got added HAS NEVER PLAYED D&D AND DOESN'T EVEN HAVE ACCESS TO THE 5E BOOKS
>"I JUST LIKE THE LORE," THEY SAID
>>
>>44356592
Fair enough. My DM has it on medium mode I guess.

Derindel and the orc died fighting eachother after Derindel went rage mode, the drow got kidnapped by mushroom people, the dergo is dead cause I killed him, and last session Turvy got crushed by the rock octopus. Oh and the Kua-Toa left to rebuild his hometown.
>>
>>44356600
Online gaming is literal hell at first my man. Just persevere and don't be afraid to leave games. When you do, keep contact with the good players and network from there. It's a long road, but it's the only way to get a good game going online.
>>
>>44356625
I normally play on medium mode, but I feel OotA is a survival game moreso than anything else, so I play it with that in mind.

Such as the fact that I force the players to use the Variant Encumbrance rules.

This actually lead to a HILARIOUS scene with Ront and the Druid concerning food.
>>
>>44356645
Fuck it, I'll just write up the Ront story here cause I want to sleep and I don't wanna wake up to like 3 people asking for it.

>Relevant stars: Ront, NPC orc, Half-Elf Druid, Human Fighter.
>Playing OotA, forcing survival mode on players. Full encumbrance rules, paying attention to light sources and inventory, the works
>Human Fighter player is a bit of a sore loser
>Every time I rule in a way that is not in his immediate favor, he has a conniption
>Wandering through early game under dark
>Guy is constantly complaining about how he can't see non-stop.
>Random encounter, 2 gricks attack
>He gets put to 0
>"Fuck this, my character is a waste of space. Go ahead and kill him."
>Me: "Uh, are you sure? You could sti-"
>He already has the book open and is writing down the stats for a dwarven cleric
>"Okay. Gricks pull out your heart and you DIE die."
>Battle over
>PCs need food, chop up gricks for 20lbs of meat
>Decide that Ront, being Orcish, doesn't mind human.
>Chops him up
>At camp
>Druid decides to be clever
>Scouts around for a source of heat; decides he wants to jerky the grick meat
>Ront sees this, wants to jerky some of HIS meat
>After some amusing contested intelligence rolls to force Ront to learn, Ront manages to jerky meat
>Problem: Druid has low strength. Can't carry 20lbs worth of food on him.
>"Hey, Ront, could you carry this jerky for me?"
>I stare at the player for a full 30 seconds at the blank check he gave me
>I roll an intelligence check for Ront.
>Natural 1.
>"Ront says 'okay!', takes the jerky bag, and dumbs it out into his backpack."
>Other player literally facepalming
>"What?"
>"Ront just put the food into his bag."
>"So?"
>"Where he put jerky that HE just made"
>". . .oh"
>Me: "Ront says 'sorry guys' and looks sad"
Queue the usual round of player begging, trying to worm their way around the madness level checks for eating human.
>>
>>44356739
Well, thats interesting. Our group got three madness rolls since we began OotA. I failed the first one we made at the end of session 1 so now I have been collecting demon arms and horns for over 5 levels worth of sessions, and constantly I desire bigger horns and arms. Makes for interesting RP.

Honestly though I legit feel bad for anyone who walked into the underdark without darkvision. The only reason my human is ok is because warlock devil eyes are awesome.
>>
What's a good feat for a variant human monk going into the WotLight?
>>
>>44357226
Magic initiate and Mobile are both solid monk feats in general. I can't think of a feat that specifically helps sun monk.
>>
File: 1449374105239.jpg (692 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449374105239.jpg
692 KB, 1600x1200
>>44356600
Well he might have read Eberron novels and not played the TRPG itself. There are some fun stuff in them.
>>
>>44357264

Why is magic initiate good for a monk?
>>
>>44355589
This right here.

This is a good DM.
>>
>>44356804
There are easy ways around being without darkvision in the underdark. Problem is the player wasn't doing anything about it. I even left a shit tone of bioluminescent moss outside the cage he broke out of, and he didn't even think about taking any with him, or taking torches, or just having the wizard cast light.
>>
>>44358634
Because things that don't cost you Ki points are welcome options, and the things magic initiate gives you do not conflict with any of your class features.

Also, personally, I found WotOH with magic initiate to be more playable than WotSS.
>>
>>44357264
Once they get the burning hands feature, they qualify for spell sniper. Spell sniper's affects apply to the radiant sun bolt. The cantrip from sun bolt does not specify that it must require a *spell* attack roll either, so Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade are open choices. Thorn Whip is also a decent one for the control aspect.
>>
I've had a plan for a Kobold (or goblinoid) game for a bit.

Basically about 108 years ago a local city funded a party to wipe out a nearby clan of kobolds. The party mostly succeeded, even smashing eggs and slaying noncombatants, but a small handful of kobolds survived.

They snuck into the town but found it was too big to conquer (even if they were at full force it would be difficult), so they waited, and they bred, and they dug.

Today, exactly 108 years after that day the city of Konrak sunk into the ground; a giant pit where it once stood. Deep down in that pit you can see the remains of the city, but no humans inhabit Konrak, no no. It belongs to the Kobolds now
>>
>>44349662

Not a whole lot. Kenku's are my low level baddies of choice, generally.
>>
What is the point of the Daylight spell, besides "making light with longer range"?
It doesn't effect any creatures that could be vulnerable to light.
It dispels Darkness, granted, but that's about it?
>>
>>44359448

>In a dark spooky cave of creatures or evil casters that can generate magical darkness.
>cast Daylight on shield or weapon.
>darkvision-less party members can see and magical darkness is dispelled upon contact of your giant holy light aura

It's pretty niche and circumstantial but still neat.
>>
I see a lot of folks here saying Battlemaster Great Weapon fighting master fighters can nova which Im assuming means doing a boatload of damage at once, but how? I dont see any maneuver that would do the damage you guys are saying.
>>
>>44349662
Kobolds are to Dragonborn as Goblins are to Hobgoblins in my game. They're crafty little folks who stick with their bigger cousins for protection and whatnot. They're rare in mixed communties but they are know to venture out and do normal Kobold things.

I have a soft spot for them, and wish they were playable. My first character in the Eberron 3.5 game I played was a Kobold Sorcerer.
>>
>>44359827
It's not quality, it's quantity. When you can turn out 8 attacks with GWF and GWM, applying techniques to 6 of them, the damage adds up. Usually the first attacks you'd do would use Trip attack, as you attack a prone target with advantage.
>>
>>44359827
Most maneuvers add a d10 of damage. They're talking about a level 20 character using action surge and attacking at least 8 times with a 2d6 weapon and using a maneuver on every attack with the Great Weapon Master feat.
>>
I want to make one of my kingdoms in a remote area from the main stage more technologically advanced in my game. Airships, coal powered trains and autos, low tech guns, a less magical Eberron. Is that feasible to do in 5e?
>>
>>44359984
There are optional rules for guns in the DMG, and since none of that other stuff needs rules you should be golden.
>>
How do you guys add a tarrasque to your games? Big baddie wants to wake him? He just wakes up and eats things? A hidden treasure of unimaginable power in his current resting spot?

I normally roll a d% once an in game month to see if he awakens. He's one of my favorite creatures and back in 3.5 our party defeated him and I turned him into a sideshow attraction and resturant.
>>
You dudes think it's too much to ask if the Expanded Spell List spells that Warlocks get from their patrons be automatically added to their known spells like the Cleric and their domain spells?
>>
>>44360979
It's been a recurring joke at my tables that "If the Tarrasque shows up, that means the DM is angry at you". Which is hilarious to me. Because if I were to get mad, I wouldn't throw the tarrasque at them.

I would throw the tarrasque with several class levels at them.
>>
>>44361204
lol that's great!
>>
>>44361204
If the DM is angry, he throws the tarrasque at the players.
If the DM is very angry, he throws the tarrasque at the players.
>>
>>44361204
>Pfft, whatever, I just move up to it
>Okay, the Tarrasque uses a bonus action to rage
>wat
>>
>>44361204
I don't think the Tarrasque has shown up or even been mentioned in any game I've been in.
>>
Quick 5e question.

>Be DM.
>Started new campaign
>lazy players use a website to pregen characters
>everyone has like 1d8+3 damage or 1d4+4 damage

Where the fuck are these +3s and +4s coming from? Do you add your ability mod to your damage rolls now or what?
>>
>>44361784
You uh.

You always did. Except for spells. You need a class feature to do it with spells.
>>
>>44361784
The attribute modifier always applied to both hit and damage.
A Level 1 Fighter with +3 Strength gets
+5 to hit with a Weapon (also including Proficiency Bonus assuming he's proficient)
+3 damage

If you haven't been doing that, then you've been crippling your Martial players.
>>
>>44361784
When did you not?
>>
File: uavinalaffm8.jpg (12 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
uavinalaffm8.jpg
12 KB, 237x213
>>44361813

Are you fucking serious right now? I didn't think there was anything in the rules about this.

This is to damage, yeah? Not the roll againt AC.
>>
>>44362033
Anon, you should sit down and read the book a bit. Chapters 6, 7, and 8 specifically, it's like 30 pages.
>>
>>44361813
>>44361913
>>44361922

>MFW I've been doing it wrong this whole time
>MFW I told one of the players he's a fucking idiot for suggesting it.
>MFW I'm going to have to tell them I was wrong.

Meh fuck it I'll tell them there was an errata or something - they're so lazy they're pregenning characters so i doubt they will check

ty anons
>>
>>44356625
Dont forget the sick drow and the murderer.
That motherfucker.
>>
>>44362058
Specifically page 173 and 176 in the Player's book.
>173 - PROFICIENCY BONUS
>... The bonus is used in the rules on ability checks, saving throws, and attack rolls.

>176 - ATTACK ROLLS AND DAMAGE
>You add your Strength modifier to your attack roll and your damage roll when attacking with a melee weapon...
>>
>>44362076
This joke where you're pretending to be a huge fucking retarded is so funny I remembered to laugh.
>>
>>44362088
The dergo is the murderer, but he did not kill any NPCs in our group. Then again we never split up either outside of a few PCs when they went food hunting. The only reason I killed him is because he went full necromancer on us and tried to kill us after we got back to the Durgar city.
>>
I have a player who wants desperately for there to be subraces for the Aasimar in the DMG. I feel like there is no grounds for this in any previous editions except for Devas in 4e, which isn't different enough to constitute making a new subrace for, plus I'd have to make another subrace for them to choose from. Setting is forgotten realms, and my current position is no, sorry. Any thoughts?
>>
>>44362324
He clearly has an idea of what he wants for his character from a mechanical standpoint so just ask him what it is.
>>
>Running a game with heavy japanese influences because my party is full of weebs
>They end up having to fight some spirits from ancient shrine dolls that are so old they have become sentient (and have clerical powers)
>One of the players feels sorry for the dolls after they beat them
>Wants to try to mend them
What should I have happen here? I want him to be able to do this and get some sort of benefit for it. I was thinking of maybe having them be free hirelings that can cast a few useful spells once a day. Would that be too much?
>>
>>44362401
He wants to do extra necrotic/radiant damage on all of his attacks. Here's what his inspiration is https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Aasimar_(5e_Race)

He's playing a cleric, and his argument is that since he'll be on the back line all of the time the extra damage would be negligible
>>
>>44362519
Ichimatsu dolls or some other little pale skin doll something? If you go by the Mending descriptor, they may just become inert dolls after you break them and the spirit is released, putting it back together won't bring the spirit back.

Perhaps have released spirit(s) linger around and follow the party around, attaching themselves to the select player who mended the dolls. Perhaps have it possess one of his items at random. Whatever they could do when they were in the dolls, let the spirit have a fraction of that power spontaneously appear during some future situation.
>>
>>44362596
I'd allow the bulk of that since it's just a tweaked version of the Tiefling but not those subraces.
>>
>>44362852
Yeah the top half is straight out of the DMG. He's fighting for the subraces
>>
>>44358904

Was hoping for a specific answer. What, specifically, that you gain with Magic Initiate is good for a Monk? Which spells/cantrips?

Yes, extra options are never a bad thing, that didn't really need explaining.
>>
>>44362889
Fuck the subraces. Stupid Subraces. Aasimar don't need no Subraces
>>
>>44362786
By mend I didn't mean the mending spell he just wants to repair them. I am having him seek out some sovereign glue and a few other materials to repair them.

These dolls were life size porcelain replicas of what would be a lord and lady. The dolls themselves were believed to be two lovers whose families hated each other. They met secretly at the shrine every day for a year until the spirit of the shrine took pity on their situation so he made them into dolls so that they may be together forever. In actuality they were an offering to the spirit of of the shrine from a man who loved a woman and could never be with her. So he made these dolls of them so they could be together in spirit.

The dolls were revered by the locals for generations until the nearby village faded away. The spirits of the dolls became spiteful of the humans that had abandoned them. When the players set up camp at the temple the dolls lashed out at them in the night.
>>
Merry Christmas, /5eg/
>>
File: image.jpg (505 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
505 KB, 1024x768
Hey guys, is it newfag to ask for a statblock for a homebrew monster? I'm looking for a burning Wicker Man construct for my players (5 3rd level players) to fight as a boss at the end of the current arc they're in. I've looked online and haven't really found anything I'm happy with.
>>
>>44362947
Yeah that's pretty much my stance on it, fuck his special snowflake.
>>
>>44362957
Take the fire elemental
>Make it huge
>Remove the damage resistances
>leave the immunites
>On fire form remove the ability to squeeze and stop in a players space
>For attacks make it a slam attack that does bludgeoning damage with the target and any creature within 5ft take appropriate fire damage
>>
>>44362941

I'd say go with Druid/Cleric spells so they benefit from your naturally decent Wisdom score. Any sort of ranged attack would be okay because it'll give you options if you can't get to your enemy but still want to put out some numbers.
>>
>>44362941
Pick Druid or Cleric stuff since you already use Wisdom. Guidance is on both lists and is generally useful. Produce Flame and Sacred Flame are useful ranged attacks depending on whether you want to attack AC or Dexterity saving throws. Sun Soul Monk can already attack AC at ranged, so Sacred Flame is the better choice since it targets a different defense than Radiant Sun Bolt. Thorn Whip also has battlefield control utility if you don't care about an extra ranged attack for the Sun Soul Monk.

For the first level spell, Goodberry can be useful depending on how liberal your DM is with allowing them to be used. By RAW, the person benefitting from their healing has to use their own action to eat the berry, so they're less useful for getting people up from death saving throws by strict interpretations. Faerie Fire is more generally useful. From the Cleric list, Bless is probably the best choice since you don't otherwise use your concentration.
>>
>>44362941
>>44363105
WotLight from his first post probably means Sun Soul, which already has a ranged attack option. Spell Sniper is probably the better feat for him.
>>
>>44362950
Given the extra efforts he appears to be taking in fixing them, I think your idea works fine assuming it's level appropriate. The lovers' spirits return to the dolls to give the player the means to call upon them once per day, they'll pop up to cast a couple spells.
>>
>>44362950

You think they might just be satisfied with a good ending? Like repairing the dolls helps put the spirits to rest or something like that?
>>
>>44363073
Go with this. Way less effort than trying to tweak a Flesh Golem or two Awakened Trees.
>>
>>44362998
It's not just that, they're overpowered. Unless the Stats completely override the base race, that's ridiculous.
>>
>>44363241
He would most likely be fine with just the RP of it but I like to give mechanical rewards for good RP to help encourage the players to get involved in the world and the characters in it.

>>44363217
For the most part I was going to have them act like devoted servants. The time and effort he will put into repairing them will show the dolls the one thing that they have wanted. A human who cares about them. As for level appropriate they are level 8 and I was thinking about giving them the following spells once a day.

>Kanae
Purify food and drink, lesser restoration, Create food and water (can create sake instead of water)

>Ichiro
Detect Poison and Disease, Augury, and Tongues

In addition working together they can cast Divination or Mordenkainen's private sanctum. When they do they lose the ability to cast any spells for one week as their magic is drained.
>>
Are there any good adventure modules or character creation systems that help make good backstories and more compelling characters? I was trying to make a modified version of the Traveller system, but that's... hard.
>>
>>44349662
Any tips on handling magic surges for the chaos sorcerer?
>>
>>44364267
Just go with RAW for normal (they roll 1d20 when they cast a spell of 1st level or a higher, a result of 1 triggers wild magic). For Tides of Chaos, I'd say just increase the chance to 5 or lower on a d20.
>>
>>44349747
I am currently playing a Half-Orc Lore Bard.
>>
>>44364006
>Good Adventure modules
Some of the adventurers league can be real fun, also Out of the Abyss is really good.

>character creation
thats mostly up to the player and you. 95/5
>>
>>44364326
Well... you get a cape of CHA and you're good.
>>
>>44349777
Feral tiefling monk isnt bad at all.
>>
>>44362596

It should be blatantly obvious how OP the sub races are. 5 total stat increases, including the option to *pick* the increases, plus expertise in a skill or 2+ free heals, all on top of considerable base abilities?

No fucking way. The base race is already plenty strong, with 3 stat increases, darkvision, two resistances and three spells that are very valuable to have.

What is it with people trying to get ridiculously OP races past their GMs lately?
>>
>>44362166
If using a finesse weapon is that dex instead then?
>>
>>44364861
Yep.
>>
>>44364586
Speaking of which, I'm a GM and dragonborn seem really OP to me, weight being the only drawback and its kinda hard to generate adventures where that's gonna fuck em. On top of them being a fucktard race anyhow...

Anyone else have this problem?
>>
I miss the old Eberron games. I recently came into some of the old module adventures for them, would they be convertable into 5E?
>>
>>44364945
It could take some doing, but it's more or less a task of switching out the 3.5e stuff in there for appropriate 5e stuff. Switch out magic items (or remove them altogether if they don't fit), move to 5e's smaller DC range, use 5e monster stats and rebalance encounters accordingly. It's primarily stuff you could do ahead of time.
>>
>>44364891

Dragonborn have some nifty abilities, but their stat increases aren't the most compatible except for one class (paladin), and they have one resistance and a long-rest save-for-half breath weapon. That's it. They don't even get darkvision. The Aasimar is already a laundry list of abilities players want - wisdom is a save everyone needs, and it comes with darkvision, and resistant to necrotic AND radiant damage, AND useful spells.
>>
>>44364891
What issues are you having? Their breath weapon is only kind of strong early on. Start your games at 3 or have enemies more spread out/with high saves for whatever type of breath weapon the player has.
>>
>>44365057

Yeah that aasimar race is fucking hilarious. I might let someone be one of those if they picked and chose some of those benefits, but there's no fucking way I'd let them take all of that shit.
>>
>>44365070

Even if you don't start at level 3, look at the XP chart. Players advance to level 3 very quickly, then it slows down a bit - I think the devs realize that level 1-2 play isn't much fun.
>>
>>44365115
They have stated that level 1 and 2 are basically tutorial levels, and you're meant to start at level 3 if you aren't new to the game. That's also when classes all start to come together. My groups usually level to 3 by the end of the first session, so they can get a feel for the group before picking specializations
>>
>>44365147

I think it's a good design - not the least of which because it means the game "starts" properly when you actually have some HP - being able to be dropped with one hit, not even a crit, because you have 8 HP is kind of a bummer.
>>
>>44364586
Not OP races or whatever, but I can understand people wanting more subraces. Seeing all these races with subraces, and then seeing ones that have none, sets my autism aflame.

So if they wanted to trade one racial benefit for another equally or less powerful benefit instead I think that's fair. Honestly, though, I would understand a DM not allowing Aasimar to begin with, since WotC utterly half-assed their inclusion in 5e.
>>
>>44365277
>Joined a OotA game with no knowledge of what was going to happen
>Made a wizard
>Die in one hit on the first fight
>Reroll as a sorcerer and the party finds me bound up next to the spider altar
>get killed by the ooze shortly after this
>Reroll AGAIN as a hill dwarf monk
>DM gives me a consolation prize of the Tough feat for free
The DM always rolls high against me. We had an enemy later that was rolling 2d8 for damage and the two times I was hit he rolled 16. We have a running joke now that the DM's dice are possessed by the ghost of someone who hates me.
>>
>>44365345
I wish there were more subraces that just changed abilities rather than changing stat bonuses.
>>
>>44365057
I really don't understand why the left darkvision on the DMG aasimar. I know it's a reskinned tiefling, but I feel like darkvision doesn't make sense on a race descended from the inhabitants of everything sunny all the time always land.
>>
>>44365277

Yeah, it's really depressing that some classes die in one hit, but I guess that's the "realism"?? Most of Level 1 seems to be about trying to stay out of the action..
>>
>>44365057
But to be fair radiant damage is basically nonexistent and necrotic is rare.
>>
I finally got to use the ball bearings I've been carrying around. Dude was running, we were chasing, throw, fall, paladin tackles him. So satisfying.
>>
A question about battlemaster fighters. If I have Riposte, can I use another one of the on hit abilities off that hit? Say riposte into trip?
>>
>>44366142
I'd say probably not due to the "only one maneuver per attack" bit. Crawford agrees, but ultimately it's up to your DM. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/25/fighter-1-maneuver/
>>
>>44365958
>radiant damage is basically nonexistent
Somebody's got an uncreative DM.

>and necrotic is rare
Jesus, no undead, either?
>>
Is there any interesting/decent/good grappler build?
>>
>>44366350
Grappler's a Feat now, and works better with Barbarian/Fighter characters.

Grappler monk is effectively dead, now that Martial Arts is a thing.
>>
>>44366372
>play a wizard with 14 STR
>proficient in athletics
>whenever there's another caster, cast silence centered on yourself, then go grapple that caster and beat the shit out of them
>>
>>44366633
I fucking love it.
>>
>>44366317
Very much a gray area. Still waiting on word from the DM about it, but I haven't even had an opportunity to use a maneuver yet so there's no hurry.
>>
>>44365515

Especially since 3e Wizards has a problem of just giving everything darkvision. It's basically only humanoids and, I think, fey, that didn't automatically have it, and many humanoids did anyway. Even with low-light vision folded into darkvision, too many things have it. Aberrations should have it, maybe, if they're underground types like beholders. Dragons, sure. Other than that, I don't think any types should get it as a blanket statement. Heck, even celestials and fiends should rely on light sources, imo.
>>
So how can I make a Monk of the Long Death without it being edgy or grim dark?
>>
>>44366837
Yeah, make it warforged.
>>
File: ryu.png (102 KB, 250x399) Image search: [Google]
ryu.png
102 KB, 250x399
>>44366837
An old guy broke away from the Followers of the Long Death taught the special snowflake player character a less lethal but still as effective fighting style.
>>
Are there any official warlock pacts or patrons in any sources besides the PHB?
>>
>>44367203
SCAG has the Undying patron. I want to say another one was tucked away elsewhere but I can't remember off the top of my head.
>>
>>44367203
>>44367403
Ghost in the Machine from the Modern Magic UA, Undying Light from the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA
>>
>>44367203
SCAG has undying. Only officially book-published one. /tg/ seems to hate it, and its features are middling ave revolve largely around Spare the Dying, but on the other hand Fuck Me Sideways, Contagion that resets on a short rest? Sign me up.

UA has the tech warlock pact for modern magic, which you probably can't use. They also have the undying light patron, which every munch on the planet keeps trying to gish with.
>>
File: 1450564669138s.jpg (2 KB, 124x70) Image search: [Google]
1450564669138s.jpg
2 KB, 124x70
>>44366633

Not how Silence works dude.

Silence isn't like Darkness or Daylight where it follows you or attaches to an item -- it stays fixed to a particular location. So you'd have to grapple and drag the enemy caster to your bubble while maintaining Concentration.
>>
>>44368118

you could just move into range, grapple them, and cast silence maybe. but grabbing them and pulling them into your silence bubble sounds fucking funny.
>>
Does anyone play with the UA variant vitality? I remember using those and magic points in a 3.5 game and it was pretty cool.
>>
>>44368382
All it does is add another pool of HP-like points to keep track of, while also tracking your maximum hit points moving all over the place. It's dull and adds nothing to the game imo.

Of course, that UA was the worst one yet, so it's not really surprising. They didn't even get the math for saving throw rolls correct (iirc the defense score for them should be 13 + bonus instead of 11 + bonus).
>>
I just recently got into my first 5e game with a few friends, I'm planning on building up to a Druid 12/Fighter 8, though we're only Level 4 at the moment and I took all 4 as Druid. I took Circle of Land-Mountain, and when I start building Fighter next level I'll be taking Battle Master with GWF and GWM. Anything I should be aware of here? These are my bases with the Hill Dwarf race:
S 11
D 12
C 16
I 14
W 16
C 11
>>
>>44368606
You're gonna want either a higher dex or strength, depending on the kind of fighter you want to be.
>>
>>44367448
Contagion was nerfed so that it only has an effect after the three failed saves.
>>
So going Dragonborn thinking paladin 7 OoV/ Warlock the rest as a spellblade character. I know the cha isn't the best but I can get it high enough to multicast, and ill have extra spells for the smitin. What do you guys think?.
>>
>>44368631
It always worked that way, and it turns out most people actually interpret it that way so they didn't even make a clarification through errata.
>>
>>44368623
I'm planning on it. We have a nice houserule that lets you take 1 feat + 1 score point instead of having to choose, so my dex is 14 now and I'm building str next chance I get.
>>
>>44368606
Most of a battle master's maneuvers specify weapon attacks. The game doesn't consider claws and such as weapons. Be sure your DM approves if you're going to do that. You also need 13 Str or Dex to multiclass fighter.

Barbarian or Monk are the more common multiclasses to improve wildshape fighting. Martial Arts doesn't work with natural weapons but you can still do Flurry of Blows for unarmed damage after hitting with claws/bites.
>>
>>44368708
>The game doesn't consider claws and such as weapons
Every stat block outright calls them "melee weapon attacks." Whether a weapon or not, like unarmed strikes, they're specified as melee weapon attacks and thus are.
>>
>>44368623
>>44368606

He wants GWM with GWF so he really, really needs a better strength score. You're not going to be hitting jack shit with GWM with 11 strength, but that means you need to spend level ups pumping up your strength, which will delay the feat by a lot. I don't know why your Int is so high; if you wanted to go fighter from the beginning I would have started maybe 16 or 14 in strength, and an 11 in Int. You don't need that much Int to be a druid or a fighter really.

>>44368699

I suppose that makes it a little bit better but it's still going to take several levels before your Strength will make GWF or GWM worth it. It might be easier to pump up Dex, use finesse weapons and the duelist style, since your Dex is already at an even number. You'll probably do less damage overall, but you'll be delayed for less too (since you've already got the extra Dex).
>>
>>44368730
They still aren't weapons. The maneuver that call out "melee weapon attack" will work. The ones that don't specify in that language would not work. It's in the clusterfuck of unarmed attack rules. You can make a melee weapon attack with special non-weapons. Claws can make a melee weapon attack but are not considered weapons for the purposes of spells like Magic Weapon and such. It's a fine distinction one should ask the DM about to avoid arguments.
>>
>>44368730
You're not wrong but it's a distinction some dumbass DMs still argue over, so it's worth checking with a DM first.
>>
>>44368785
I should have worded it better, but basically my point was that he'd be fine in wild shape for BM maneuvers since a melee weapon attack is (at least I assume) a type of weapon attack. But >>44368807 is right. Even though it should work fine, some DMs are dumb.
>>
>>44368730

You would think so.

The 5e rules have some, shall we say, interesting interpretations of how stuff like that works according to the errata/faq.
>>
>>44368740
I assigned the points in my first session according to the character I had in mind, which would have ended up as a ranger/druid. After taking the time to really dig into the PHB I learned that ranger sucks, and has little benefit for my greatsword that I'd like to be able to use to some effectiveness.

I may speak to my DM about mixing the stats up a bit; starting Dex to 12, Str to 14, Int to 11, then spend the level boosting Dex to 14. He's been rather lenient with me since I'm still learning the system.
>>
>>44368854

honestly, if you want to wear heavy armor (do druids still have to wear no armor??) don't bother pumping up your dex that much. You want to focus on your Strength first because you need the mod to be as high as possible to make up for the -5 for GWM damage. You also want a decent con mod (i'd shoot for at least +2) so that you have an okay amount of HP. If you're always in the melee you're going to probably soak a fair bit of damage. If your con mod is too low you'll have to get out or heal quicker.

Alternatively, why Druid/Fighter?
>>
>>44368834
Why did they even make the distinction anyway? The whole thing is simpler and more intuitive this way. It's not like there's stupid stuff like in 3.5 where people try to enchant their entire bodies because of unarmed strikes.
>>
>>44368903
I prefer they not even know for sure whether the gods exist or not. All faith with no visible reciprocation.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.