[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it considered a curse for a drow to transformed into a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9
File: Drider-Scout.jpg (88 KB, 664x1012) Image search: [Google]
Drider-Scout.jpg
88 KB, 664x1012
Why is it considered a curse for a drow to transformed into a drider?

They worship the spider queen, it makes more sense that she would bless her finest champions with driderdom.

Discuss. And post monsters,
>>
>>
File: Scarrow_(Scorpion_Drider).jpg (130 KB, 400x480) Image search: [Google]
Scarrow_(Scorpion_Drider).jpg
130 KB, 400x480
>>
File: tumblr_mm2itrViXd1s4zy4mo1_500.jpg (91 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mm2itrViXd1s4zy4mo1_500.jpg
91 KB, 500x667
>>
>>44349444
Because she uses it as a punishment for those that fail her.

You fucked up? Now you're half spider because you obviously needed the help, you little bitch.

For a species that values strength and power etc so much, its probably pretty shameful. Like your dad picking you up so you can dunk in Basketball when you're 20+ or something
>>
>>44349559
>Like your dad picking you up so you can dunk in Basketball when you're 20+ or something

Wait, is that not normal?

Can anyone explain why Lolth takes the form of a drider herself (sometimes) when it's seen as bad/weak/shameful?
>>
At least post the girl ones
>>
>>44349611
Nah, see, its not that its shameful. Quite the opposite, I imagine if you're born a drider in Drow society then its a sign you're destined for greatness.

But if you have to be made into one because you failed, then thats a problem. Sorta like a dude that turns to steroids because they're bad boxers. Even with the boost, its still known you must have failed and that that was the only way you could be strong, outside help.
>>
>>44349559
>>44349611
>>44349668
>>44349444
Lolth does not take a Drider form, this exists in later artwork mostly due to poorly instructed artists, but her lore had her forms as
1: Amazingly beautiful drow chick
2: Horribly wicked looking demon spider
3: Giant spider with drow head instead of a spider head

The drider form being a punishment is several parts, one is because according to Lolth's teachings the Drow form is perfect, the spider form is perfect, altering either form is imperfect. It should be stated that her 3rd form was considered her "terrifying" form.
Another part of it, is as that anon mentioned, it's considered a terrible punishment and a sign of failure.
And the third part of it, is that prior to 4e, being a Drider meant you no longer had genitalia (specifically mentioned as part of the curse), and you were in constant and unending pain.
>>
>>44349893
This dude explains it best.

Tbh Im not even that read up on her lore, I just know Drow are very proud and self reliant so that shit has to be shameful.

I think the ''unending pain'' aspect is back in 5e if I remember right.
>>
File: Drider.jpg (81 KB, 400x542) Image search: [Google]
Drider.jpg
81 KB, 400x542
>>44349444

Drow culture through the editions of Dungeons and Dragons is generally pretty humanistic in the Greek sense: fit, toned skin, ideals of beauty very matching with physical perfection. It's my understanding that Drow would view taking on monstrous traits like that to be totally abhorrent.

The Drow might worship a Spider Goddess, but they don't want to be spiders: they worship Lolth out of tradition, fear, and their own self-interest, not because of any actual reverence for spiders.

And I've usually heard it described that Drow undergo serious mental degeneration after being turned into Driders. So you might get to be some kickass spider monster but you go totally mad too.
>>
>>44350048
Thats some fucking sweet drider art
>>
OP here. Can we talk about drow society a bit more?

My impression is that drow cities are largely ruled by a generally chaotic evil noble elite. These societies would tend to collapse on themselves if it were not for Lolth herself intervening at the necessary times and filling a power vacuum with a devout worshipper. Correct me on any of this if I'm mistaken.

So what is the "lower class" of drow society like?
>>
File: drider_queen_unfinished.jpg (71 KB, 550x619) Image search: [Google]
drider_queen_unfinished.jpg
71 KB, 550x619
>>
File: alluring_drider_by_wardem.jpg (61 KB, 472x600) Image search: [Google]
alluring_drider_by_wardem.jpg
61 KB, 472x600
>>
>>44350650
Lots of slaves. Lots and lots of slaves.

Above them is low-born Drow. They're usually more skilled workers, coopers and such. They're pretty much considered scum by everyone middle class and up.

But, honestly, I dont think the Drow Elite can be called CE. Too bound by tradition. They're LE, its just their laws are pretty psychotic.
>>
File: drider_by_ironshod.jpg (174 KB, 900x738) Image search: [Google]
drider_by_ironshod.jpg
174 KB, 900x738
>>44350650
This is based on my knowledge of the forgotten realms campaign setting, but I understand that drow worship a scorpion god in eberron, and I'd be interested to hear about that as well.
>>
>>44350703
LE or CE is mostly irrelevant, but do you agree that drow society would quickly crumble were it not for regular intervention by Lolth? It seems that all the power struggles would just tear apart any drow city into numerous small warring factions, namely the noble houses. In nearly every book focused on drow I've read, that's what's about to happen until Lolth pulls some witchery and puts someone in charge. Always temporarily of course.
>>
Menzoberranzen is basically South Korea. They're super vain. Who cares if a drider is strong? YOU UGLY NOW
>>
>>44350898
Without a significantly charismatic leader or Lolths intervention, yeah. Part of that is down to the risk of a society built on slaves too though.

Hard to build a stable structure when your foundation is constantly shifting and trying to run away
>>
>>44350650
Well, you are mistaken, but that's because a lot of Drow lore has been changed to be "cartoonishly evil" over the years.

If you want to know about Forgotten Realms Drow, read the early chapters of this book.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.