[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/ going to be running a game of Stars Without Number soon.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Hey /tg/ going to be running a game of Stars Without Number soon. This is my first time gm-ing, and they guys I'm playing with are new to role playing as well. So for this first session I'm going to be helping them make characters and I've got an idea for the first set of encounters.

Was wondering if anyone has had experience with this game, or could give me some tips. Am currently getting the sector put together, tonight we should mostly be setting up characters and completing this first encounter.

If anyone is interested I could talk about what I'm planning, and you're welcome to critique/shame it.
>>
>>44348261
do something with mechs because there are rules for it and mechs are cool.

but really i've wanted to play this game because i like a lot of the generation systems in it but i loathe d20 so much.
>>
>>44348296
There are mechs? I must be using an older version. Can't find anything in the book. Sounds pretty sweet though.
>>
>>44348261
SWN is very straight forward if you have played any D&D edition before
If your players are new just hold their hands and try to remember all the mistakes you made when you started so they don't commit them.
>>
>>44348546
Not really experienced with role playing. I've done only one other session of D&D before. Been trying to get into it, but I've been having trouble finding people to play with.
>>
>>44348369
Do you have this book?
>>44348296
Perhaps there is a mech fighting league and the players are the mech pilot, ship pilot and crew and bookie or whatever.
>>
>>44349081
I found this
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1366/05/1366053319764.pdf
>>
File: taekwon-robots-korea.jpg (46 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
taekwon-robots-korea.jpg
46 KB, 450x338
>>44349204
That's the rulebook alright, but I don't see any mecha rules in there.
You could play it like robo-cock fighting, but instead of in depth rules you could just wing it.
>>
The mecha rules are only in the mongoose published version not the free online version of the core rules, so track that one down
>>
>>44349550
>>44349204
It's this version. I have a copy but i don't know where you can find it. Go ask the PDF thread for it.
>>
File: Stars Without Numbers - New.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Stars Without Numbers - New.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>44349987
>>
>>44349204
>>44348369
>>44350018
Page 157 for robots and Mechs
>>
>>44350018
Thanks!
>>
File: SwanSong Cast.png (121 KB, 630x800) Image search: [Google]
SwanSong Cast.png
121 KB, 630x800
>>44350649
I didn't upload it before because I wasn't sure if it was too big for /tg/ or not. I hope it helps.
You should watch a few episodes of Swan Song, these guys are playing a really interesting game of Stars Without Numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iofsg3hqZjo&list=PL-oTJHKXHicQ0jv37mr8D9kRFXox7-PXD
They're all pretty funny guys but the serious bits are great too.
>>
>>44350786

Going to chime in here and agree with this Anon. The GM can get a little social justice warriory at times, but he does have pretty real, deep characters (for NPCs) and continues to drive the story in a real direction. He also does GM turns outside of the show to show you how GMing the game is pretty reliant on spreadsheets.

All of the character players are a hoot and make it enjoyable to watch. They take it seriously when they should, and still goof around during the down times. All make/have interesting characters that show growth through the show. 10/10, quality content right here.
>>
>>44350974
the SJW stuff is pretty light and don't take it too seriously.They even joked about Genders Without Numbers, saying in character how primitive it was just to have two recognized genders when there are obviously eight.
>>
>>44351122

Oh yeah, totally, which is why I said "a little". Notice that Adam on his own twitch channel has listed is prefered pronouns but can turn around and make a joke about the Tumblr SJWs. I binged Swan Song, then Mirrorshades (almost gave up a few times due to Kaitlyn, but Adam's world building and GMing is too awesome).

Adam's pretty cool, Steven can get cringey at times. Steven once proudly, and enthusiastically told everyone that he argued with Gamer Gaters. There was a pretty awkward silence that followed before they moved on.

Anyway, this is a Stars Without Numbers thread not a Rollplay thread. OP, I've heard spreadsheets are needed to keep track of all of the corporations/gangs/groups/religions you'll need to keep track of, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>44350786
I've watched all of Swan Song, it's how I found out about the game.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.