[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfB jZTm8IV4 >"taug
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBjZTm8IV4

>"taught the Empire to be versatile"
>"micro warp-jumps"

I love how painfully obvious it is that they don't care about the source material whatsoever and just wanted to use 40k as a template to put over their generic space RTS.
>>
>>44339783
If that's all you can whine about then it will be a nice game I reckon.
>>
>>44339783
>micro warp-jumps
seem op
but they sorta nail the Gothic architecture
>>
>>44339868
Micro warp-jumps is a pretty big thing. The warp is, if you don't know, a pretty major aspect of the Warhammer universe, and in 40k making a warp-jump is a major undertaking that takes time and cannot be made near gravitational wells.

The only thing I can think of is them having equipped the entire ship with an enormous shunt pack for teleportation, which means that they're flinging their entire crew and a ship that takes up to a hundred years or so to build miles upon miles through the warp largely unprotected, using unheard-of archeotech that is suddenly commonplace.
>>
>>44339942
It's because of autists like you that the lot of us can't have any fun.
>>
>>44339942
But the Tau do short warp jumps....
>>
>>44340085
tau =/= imperium
>>
>>44340106
But the Tau reverse engineered their warp drives from Imperial warp drives.
>>
>>44339783
Who's to say you can't do mircowarp jumps in 40K? Granted you would have some chance of appearing slightly off coruse

but in the 40K universe the longer jump the more your likely to be off course.
>>
>>44339783
>>"micro warp-jumps"
He clearly said it was an upgrade, not standard, and in any case Imperial ships that lose their navigators are able to make short range, calculated jumps. It just so happens that these are super short range. It's really not much of a stretch
>>
>>44340116
THEN they improved them with there ability to research into new fields without impunity, doing so in the imperium is heresy unless sanctioned and certified by half of the galaxies authorities.
This takes much to long and normally the paper work is filed away in one of the many filing cabinet PLANETS forever to be forgotten
>>
>>44340085
>But the Tau do short warp jumps....

Relatively speaking, yes. Relatively speaking. They're "short", not necessarily "fast". They have to constantly pop in and out of the warp because they can't navigate the warp as well. They just skirt the edges of it, while the Imperium goes TOOT TOOT MOTHERFUCKERS and plows straight into it.

>>44340121
>Who's to say you can't do mircowarp jumps in 40K?

You can't do warp jumps near gravitational wells and it's consistently described as a process - the ships of the Imperium are massive behemoths with tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of people on board, and it takes time to prep a ship for the warp, open the warp gate, etc. Also, the only one even capable of seeing the outside of the ship at all is the Navigator - the rest would go irrevocably mad.

"Micro-warp-jumps" is some Star Trek shit, right there.

>>44340070
>It's because of autists like you that the lot of us can't have any fun.

It's not autistic. If you can't do a faithful depiction of the setting, why would you make a space RTS in that setting? If you're doing Battlefleet Gothic, it's presumably because you want it to be Battlefleet Gothic, no?
>>
>>44340172
Well, "short" warp jumps are short in interstellar terms.

Which is still way huge for the scale of a battle, even one with 40k's reasonable ranges
>>
>>44340213
Not even the Official Warhammer 40,000 Tabletop Wargame put out by GW is a faithful depiction of the setting. You have to make some conceits to gameplay.
>>
>>44340216
If you can jump 1 light year (or whatever passes for short range) there really is no reason you can't jump shorter distance.

The only thing I would like to see is some sort of drawback to balance it out because jumping out of the way of a bunch of torpedoes seems OP from a gameplay perspective.
>>
>>44340213
>If you can't do a faithful depiction of the setting, why would you make a space RTS in that setting
According to this logic, they shouldn't have bothered making any 40k games whatsoever since they all took liberties with the setting.
>>
>>44340262
What other game has gone completely against setting material? If you cannot comprehend the difference between bending and breaking, then I believe that this is a case of;

>no anon
>you are the autist
>>
>>44340172
>He clearly said it was an upgrade, not standard,

Yes, but that's still a thing that's not a thing by any stretch of the setting.

>and in any case Imperial ships that lose their navigators are able to make short range, calculated jumps.

Those jumps are still enormous in scale.

> It just so happens that these are super short range. It's really not much of a stretch

A "short-range" jump is still enormous in scale, and you still need to prepare the ship, open a warp gate, move away from all other stellar bodies, power down the shields, activate the gellar field, and so and so forth.

You don't just say "JUMP THERE AND STRIKE THEIR FLANK, NAVIGATOR-KUN, FOR MAXIMUM DAMAGE, HAHAHAHA!"
>>
>>44339942
Warp jumps within a star system are entirely possible
>>
>>44340330
>What other game has gone completely against setting material?
One gameplay element hardly constitutes massive fluff rape but if you insist

>Fire warrior had one random tau dude besting scores of guardsmen, marines and daemons
>Dawn of War 2 had absurdly overpowered sergeants who could among other things cause earthquakes with their bare hands
>Dawn of war 1 and 2 had Khornate Sorcerers
>Dark Crusade had talking necrons which was against the fluff at the time

And so on.
>>
>>44340387

Lets not forget score upon score of Space Marine dying every single level.
>>
>>44340387
How many Blood ravens died in a single battle?
>>
>>44340213
>I'm not autistic, but I think if you just change one minor thing, the entire game is shit and should be an entirely different franchise.

Wewlad
>>
>>44340348
>Yes, but that's still a thing that's not a thing by any stretch of the setting.
Says you. GW pulls shit out of their ass on a regular basis that never before existed and the justification is always some version of
>lel dark age technology

It's really not a big deal
>>
>>44339942
actually, all you nay sayers are not paying attention, micro warpjumps are easier then actual warpjumps, its how the tau does it. by not diving deep into the warp one can, relatively risk free hop a small way away. its just not verry fast for long distances.
>>
>>44340213
Buddy, you would not be nearly this asshurt if it was Chaos with the warp jumps and the Imperium with whatever the fuck. It's just a game mechanic.
>>
Gameplay looks alot like this, but with moba/WorldofWarship abilities, I was hoping for something like bloodbowl, with a shitty real time mode nobody plays and the actual turn based fun available.
>>
File: BFG Tau.png (123 KB, 349x742) Image search: [Google]
BFG Tau.png
123 KB, 349x742
>>44340463
>its how the tau does it.

The Tau do not dive into the Warp. The Tau do not even interact with the Warp. They surf in the void between the Warp and reality. Where do people get their false information from?
>>
>>44340429
>Wewlad

Hello reddit
>>
>>44339783
I think they sacrificed a part of the fluff to get an interesting gamepaly element, which isn't a bad thing. Other than GW constantly shitting on fluff to sell bigger and arguably worse designed models.
>>
>>44340708
semantics dude, they still interact with the warp. just not very much.

i doubt you would deny using the swiming pool if found near one in swiming trunks but claiming "but im not wet!"
>>
>>44340736
>Reddit memeing

It's sad when people are this desperate after being called out as an autist.
>>
>>44340760
They don't.

They just hang around the void that separates the Warp and reality for a short while.

If you jump into a hallway that separates two rooms from your own room and then return back to your own room, it doesn't count as entering the other room.
>>
>>44340348
I thought really skilled navigators could actually do that? Vanish in the warp and come out at more or less the same spot but a different time? Wouldn't be a too long stretch if the "upgrade" they are speaking off is actually a very skilled navigator.

Calculated warp jumps, without Navigators, are 4-5 light years in FFG fluff. So it could also be that the mechanic in found some cogitators that can calculate that sort of shit.
>>
>>44341032
*mechanicus
>>
File: Imperial Navy - Ships.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1086) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Navy - Ships.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1086
>autisticly butthurt about something that isn't even against the fluff
>can't spell Imperium
Imperium has the strongest Navy overall except for Necrons, but that's some OP shit anyway. Of course it's versatile, but only to the point of playing to their strengths. So numbers, durability, ridiculous broadsides and the occasional fancy DAoT or AdMech supertech.
In the trailer they teleport at most 3 ship lengths forward. And it's an upgrade, so it's not standard tech. I'd say they aren't actual warp jumps, but they rather just instantly enter the Warp and jump out of it after a second or two in it. The momentum thus moves them slightly forward and takes them out of the Matterium. The short time spent in the Warp means that the probability of everything going to shit is very low. The only problem could be caused by deliberate Chaos fuckery, Gellar field failing or inexperienced Navigators jumping too close to planets. Arguably, such translations should also suck in smaller ships in the vicinity or cause problems to other ships when reentering near them, but you can fluff it as fancy Warp Engines that tear the smallest possible hole in the Matterium and translate instantly.
Anyway, actual micro Warp jumps are possible. Do you think every merchant ship that travels between planets in system has a Navigator? They just leave the atmosphere and do 2 or 3 short jumps along predetermined routes.
>>
I'm pretty sure there was a micro warp jump in one of the night lord novels.
>>
>>44339783
It has been long established in 40k lore that not all warp travel involves a Navigator. Short jumps along well charted, stable warp routes are the backbone of the Imperium. Navigators are necessary for longer journeys, routes into less charted territory (read: all the areas that humans and xenos make contact in, which is why it seems like all warp travel involves Navigators).
>>
>>44341233
According to BFG fluff (see >>44340708), without psykeers guiding the transition into the warp, there is no amount of power that can breach the dimensional walls.
>>
>>44341258
And according to some other fluff, when Macharius and his armies reached the end of the range of the Astronomican they started to make short range calculated jumps that don't require navigators or the astronomican

Clearly, the Tau got something wrong.
>>
>>44341228
I wasn't sure enough to post in here but I thought Octavia manages that in the Night Lord novels indeed. Though it needs to be taken into account that she's a strong navigator overall.
>>
>>44341289
>And according to some other fluff,

Do you have that fluff? Gotta copypasta?
>>
>>44341370
The Macharian Crusade. Fish it out yourself, I'm not home.
>>
>>44341392
But there are a lot of sources covering it. I can't wade through them all.
>>
>>44339942
Micro warp-jumps are established canon. The navigator girl in the Night Lords series did one to get closer to a fleeing enemy ship.
Not every random Navigator is that good but it's entirely possible.
>>
>>44339783
>"taught the Empire to be versatile"

Someone who bitches about not knowing the source material, you clearly don't realize that modern Imperial ships have a very varied armament compared to old Imperial (aka. traitor) ships. Imperial ships have torpedoes, weapon batteries, lances and fighter bays. Chaos ships usually focus on one armament over the others. Ships with fighter bays tend to have a lot of them and little weaponry, while ships with weapon batteries have full broadsides of them and little else.

>"micro warp-jumps"

Not out of the question. If you can warp across the battlefield, why aren't ships capable of doing short jumps in system?

>>44339942
Dude, you got infantry units in the game that can make warp jumps on the board. How is a ship, especially a ship upgraded for it, most likely with arcane tech, making an emergency warp jump somehow so problematic?
>>
>>44340591
That's what I thought.
Actually not a terrible game - it's pretty simple, but it's fun for what it is.

I'm cautiously optimistic
>>
>>44341512
>>44341293
>>44341228
Micro-warp jumps established with strong navigators.

Sand in OP's vagina confirmed.
>>
>>44341711
>BL
>Canon
>kek
>>
>>44341711
OP BTFO
>>
>>44340173
>filing cabinet PLANETS

I am now imagining giving a Dark Heresy group a mission to find "Imperial Permit A 38".
>>
>>44341528
I actually really loved this game for what it was. Given that they did blood bowl, I was really hoping for a "classic" mode to just play the turn based version.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.